latex: Negative indent in an enumerated list inside a theorem?

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How do I do in latex, a negative indent on an enumerated list inside a Theorem?

I have a math book where sometimes the theorems are written like this:

----------
Theorem.
If all cows are spherical and either:
         (1) the moon is made of green cheese,
      or (2) there are canals on Mars
then pluto is a planet.
----------

How do I copy this style in latex, specificly the negative indent
on the "or"?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J

See related articles to this posting

In article <slrni1ijv6.88c.pelliott@hrnowl.blackpatchpanel.com>,
 Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:

> How do I do in latex, a negative indent on an enumerated list inside a
> Theorem?
>
> I have a math book where sometimes the theorems are written like this:
>
> ----------
> Theorem.
> If all cows are spherical and either:
>          (1) the moon is made of green cheese,
>       or (2) there are canals on Mars
> then pluto is a planet.
> ----------
>
> How do I copy this style in latex, specificly the negative indent
> on the "or"?

There may be a more elegant way to do this, but here's one way:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{enumitem,amsthm}
\setenumerate{label={(\arabic*)},leftmargin=.75in}
\newcommand*{\OR}{\hspace{-3em}or\hspace{2.1em}}
\newtheoremstyle{logic}%
{3pt}{3pt}{\normalfont}{}{\bfseries}{.}{\newline}{}
\theoremstyle{logic}
\newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem}
\begin{document}
\begin{theorem}
If all cows are spherical and either:
\begin{enumerate}
   \item the moon is made of green cheese,
   \item \OR there are canals on Mars
\end{enumerate}
then pluto is a planet.
\end{theorem}

\end{document}

Alan
0
Reply Alan 6/16/2010 11:13:56 PM
comp.text.tex 37411 articles. 72 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow