latex: Negative indent in an enumerated list inside a theorem?

How do I do in latex, a negative indent on an enumerated list inside a Theorem?

I have a math book where sometimes the theorems are written like this:

----------
Theorem.
If all cows are spherical and either:
         (1) the moon is made of green cheese,
      or (2) there are canals on Mars
then pluto is a planet.
----------

How do I copy this style in latex, specificly the negative indent
on the "or"?

--
Paul Elliott                               1(512)837-1096
pelliott@BlackPatchPanel.com               PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J

In article <slrni1ijv6.88c.pelliott@hrnowl.blackpatchpanel.com>,
 Paul Elliott <pelliott@blackpatchpanel.com> wrote:

> How do I do in latex, a negative indent on an enumerated list inside a
> Theorem?
>
> I have a math book where sometimes the theorems are written like this:
>
> ----------
> Theorem.
> If all cows are spherical and either:
>          (1) the moon is made of green cheese,
>       or (2) there are canals on Mars
> then pluto is a planet.
> ----------
>
> How do I copy this style in latex, specificly the negative indent
> on the "or"?

There may be a more elegant way to do this, but here's one way:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{enumitem,amsthm}
\setenumerate{label={(\arabic*)},leftmargin=.75in}
\newcommand*{\OR}{\hspace{-3em}or\hspace{2.1em}}
\newtheoremstyle{logic}%
{3pt}{3pt}{\normalfont}{}{\bfseries}{.}{\newline}{}
\theoremstyle{logic}
\newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem}
\begin{document}
\begin{theorem}
If all cows are spherical and either:
\begin{enumerate}
   \item the moon is made of green cheese,
   \item \OR there are canals on Mars
\end{enumerate}
then pluto is a planet.
\end{theorem}

\end{document}

Alan
0
Alan

Re: just some list etiquette #9
And... "Who drank my lunch?" -W.C. Fields -----Original Message----- From: Choate, Paul@DDS [mailto:pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV] Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 4:51 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: just some list etiquette Yes, I agree Toby, but is it already Friday somewhere? I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. --Frank Sinatra Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure. --Ambrose Bierce I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than...

tamil latex
Bonjour, Is there a way to typeset tamil words, using LaTeX, in a text. I tried sinhala package but it seems that this package is incomplete: when you read the manual it seems that putting the command "#TAMIL" will switch the indica preprocessor to Tamil language but I can only get errors messages while latex-compiling the result.... Thank you -- Fran´┐Żois Patte Universit´┐Ż Paris 5 - Paris ...

negative number evaluating greater than string.size()
Hi, below is example code which demonstrates a problem I have encountered. When passing a number to a function I compare it with a string's size and then take certain actions, unfortunately during the testing of it I discovered that negative numbers were being treated as if they were > 0. I compiled the following on mingw compiler/dev c++/windows xp. If I replace string.size() for a ordinary number it behaves as expected? I notice string.size() returns size type and not an int but how do I deal with that? Thanks in advance for any help #include <iostream> #include <stdlib....

RPN/RPL Calculator implementations, list of, regular post [long, FAQ] #2 1942161
Last-Modified: 2007-12-12 Posting-Frequency: bi-monthly URL: http://www.finseth.com/rpnrpl.html Copyright: 2002-7 by Craig A. Finseth Archive-name: computer/handhelds/rpn-rpl Disclaimer: Approval for *.answers is based on form, not content. RPN/RPL Implementations Document id RPN/RPL Implementations http://www.finseth.com/rpnrpl.html Last posted 2007-12-12 reposted about every 2 months Contact: Craig A. Finseth <fin@finseth.com> <craigafinseth@alum.mit.edu> http://www.finseth.com Copyright This FAQ docu...

LaTeX calendar package, yearly and monthly
I'm trying to construct a calendar with a complete year on one page, followed by each month on its own page ... and it mostly works. The problem is the headers. \documentclass{article} \usepackage[english]{babel} %\usepackage{calendar} \usepackage{yearly} \usepackage{monthly} %\usepackage{yearly} \begin{document} \begin{yearly}{}{} 2000 Jan 01 \end{yearly} \clearpage \begin{yearly}{ title={TITLE Y}, labels={WE,TH,FR,SA,SU,MO,TU}, firstday=3, }{} 2000 Jan 01 \end{yearly} \clearpage \begin{monthly}{}{} 2000 Jan 01 \end{monthly} \clearpage \begin{monthly}{ title={TITLE M}, labels={WE,...

enumerate and \item problems with []
I'm using Koma-Script (scrreprt) class. When I write something like \begin{enumerate} \item [A long sentence.] Set $preempt\leftarrow false$. Let $p = CUR_{cpu}$ be the currently executing process on $cpu$. \end{enumerate} the layout breaks. \item behaves as within the description environment - it omits the number and typesets the whole text between [], without any line breaking at all. Question: how do I start the item text within enumerate environment with '[' ? Thanks. Zeljko Vrba <zvrba.nospam@ieee-sb1.cc.fer.hr> schrieb: > I'm using Koma-Script (scrre...

Linebreaks with itemize and user-defined theorems
The input \begin{itemize} \item[Item Number One] \begin{proof} Proof here. \end{proof} \end{itemize} results in the following: Item Number One. Proof. Proof here. There is no problem, since the number heading ("Item Number One") lines up with the Proof. line. However, the other headings that can be user-defined with \newtheorem in the amsthm package: \begin{itemize} \item[Item Number Two] \begin{thm} Theorem here \end{thm} \end{itemize} results in the following: Item Number Two [line break] Theorem here This is unsightly because the item titles are already on a separate colu...

using info complete on lists #2
I was wondering, can I use [info complete] to check if a list is well formed? It looks like I can but I'm not sure if there are downsides to this. I just tested: % set foo [list "{" this is "a test" {"}] % info complete $foo 1 % info complete [join $foo] 0 so it does look like it works. Is there any case where a malformed list can pass [info complete] or a well formed list fails [info complete]? slebetman wrote: > >I was wondering, can I use [info complete] to check if a list is well >formed? No. [info complete $x] parses $x as a script, not...

Object in list invalidation question
Hello, Consider the following situation: std::list <int> numbers; numbers.push_back(5); int * ptr = &(*(numbers.begin())); // Work on the list numbers.push_back(7); numbers.push_back(12); // etc. My question is: will ptr always point to valid memory provided the only operations performed on the list are to add to it (and ptr isn't reassigned, etc)? Given the obvious implementation of a linked list, then yes, but is it actually guaranteed (implicitly or otherwise) by the standard? Thanks! On Jan 25, 7:14 pm, matt.elk...@gmail.com wrote: > Consider the following situation...

Bookplate in LaTeX?
Does anyone have a nice LaTeX bookplate (ex-libris) they can pass on? (I didn't find any in the online TeX catalogue.) -- Timothy Murphy e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366 s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland Timothy Murphy wrote: > Does anyone have a nice LaTeX bookplate (ex-libris) > they can pass on? > (I didn't find any in the online TeX catalogue.) I did a row of book spines in LaTeX for amusement while I was ill some time last year, so I have added an _ex libris_ :-) http://latex.silmaril.ie/bookplate...

Filled boxes and latex
Hi! I want to create a bar chart with filled boxes and include this in my latex-file (because of using same fonts and formula-styles all over my Master's Thesis). With 'set terminal x11' everything works fine, but with 'set terminal latex' there are only boxes with different frames created. Also I tried different fill-styles, but none worked. I'm looking for a way to fill my boxes with section-linigs or with shades of grey. Can you give me any hints, how I could solve my problem? (I'm using gnuplot 4.0, patchlevel 0) Regards, Rainer Rainer Wunde...

list-style-image margin problem

Part List | Looking to Buy | Launch 3 Telecom #33
Launch 3 Telecom is buying the following parts:=20 TELECT 009-8004-0100 DL FUSE PANEL 4POSITION 100AMP Request a Quote: http://www.launch3telecom.com/buying/Telect/00980040100.h= tml TELECT 009-8004-0104 FUSE PNL DUAL 4/4/KLM GMT 100A Request a Quote: http://www.launch3telecom.com/buying/Telect/00980040104.h= tml GENERAL DATACOMM 009P045-002 2400ASM FDX PL MODEM Request a Quote: http://www.launch3telecom.com/buying/GeneralDatacomm/009P= 045002.html TELECT 010-0156-0601 Missing One Cable Tie (Bottom Right) Request a Quote: http://www.launch3telecom.com/buyi...

FAQ 4.51 How do I permute N elements of a list? #20
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.51: How do I permute N elements of a list? Use the "List::Permutor" module on CPAN. If the list is actually an array, try the "Algorithm::Permute" module (also on CPAN). It's written in...

cannot __getitem__ from DB reply list
Hi, i have the following function: ################################ def getGNUPlotInputFeaturesVersion(self): s="" bugCommits=0 trdocCommits=0 featCommits=0 ct=CommitType() for version in self.releaseVersionsList_: self.execQuery("SELECT msg,prssedDevsFileNum,prssedMakesFileNum,prssedDocsFileNum,prssedGraphsFileNum FROM Commit WHERE \ projVersion=\""+version+"\";"); for tuple in self.dbcursor_.fetchall(): pri...

Is there a "dry run" mode for access lists before apply
Hello all, I'm relatively new in Cisco administration, so if my question seems to be evident, or if the answer is already in a printed manual, thanks to answer to me anyway. I'm frustrated each time I ask a question on this group without answer. Also, English is not my mother-tong language. Now, the problem : After properly configured a static NAT on a Cisco ASA 5510, I'd like to create access lists, based on roles, using object-groups. For instance, service object groups called web servers, mail servers, database servers, etc. These object groups will be linked with obje...

Problem with Ms Access List Box
When i add a string to Ms Access List box which contains coma "," in it the string is separated and added as separate rows -- sree Posted via http://dbforums.com ...

Updated List 2012 Solutions Manuals, Instructor Manuals & Test Banks Collection. Largest Collection Over The Net !!
Hello, We would like to inform you that we have updated our list with the following new titles. You can contact us directly at tbwork.ads(at)gmail.com . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D 2011 Federal Taxation, 5th Edition 2011, Pratt.Kulsrud, Instructor Manual & Solutions Manual 2011 Federal Taxation, 5th Edition 2011, Pratt.Kulsrud, Test Bank 21st Century Astronomy, 3rd Edition, Blumenthal.Hester.Kay.Smith.Voss, Instructor Manual 21st Century Astronomy, 3rd Edition, Blumenthal.Hester.Kay.Smith.Voss, Test Bank A Concise Introduction to Logic, 11th Edition 2012, Hurley,...

How to use negative space with sections?
Hello, I'd like to put my sections above normal text, ie. above the top of the text area. I thought of two solutions: i) find a way to use real negative space (which usually only means not to indent the forst line afterwards), or ii) put the section names into the header only, yet only the first time a new section was introduced. I have no idea how to implement the second, yet I've been trying to succeed with the first one without any luck. I use the memoir class. Here's how I want it to look like: ---------- ---------- |TITLE | | | | | | | |line1 | |lin...

|*** TRANSPARENT LATEX ***|
.. click here to enter::: >>> http://su365.su/transparent-latex/100 <<< ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` transparent latex ` ` ` ...

Pointer to Guide to Pegasus Mail Addons List #241
Last-Updated: 4 May 2006 Posting-Frequency: Weekly Version: 2.4.8 Pegasus Mail - Programs to Make a Good Program Even Better ========================================================== Compiled by Michael Bernardi The "Guide to Pegasus Mail Addons List" is for those who need to use PMAIL in a slightly non standard environment. ie NOT just in Native Netware, MHS or via Mercury or via POP3 or SMTP or who want to add something to the standard installation. It attempts to list every program that can be used with any of the current versions of Pegasus Mail. NOTE I have NOT...

CV in LaTeX
Hi! Sorry if this is a FAQ (if it is, could you please point me to where it is?). I need to make my CV in LaTeX. So far, I have only found ugly templates on the net. The result I currently have is http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e0326858/CV_en_10-03-05.pdf I would like something more fancy with colors, frames (eg. having a coloured bar in the background of each title - and not just behind the words of the title but on the whole line) etc. What would you recommend? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Deimos. On 2005-05-25, Deimos wrote: > Hi! > > > Sorry if this is a F...

Problem in placing figures/tables in STUB column (latex 2e)
How to place the floats in stub column layout in Latex 2e. i.e. Figures and tables. Is there any style available for placing the figures or tables in stub column layout. Or is there any macro available in Latex stub column styles. Please suggest me as soon as possible. Thanks.. Raju ...

Standard Library sort functions on Linked Lists
Hi all, I was wandering if there was a way to use standard library sort functions such as heapsort on linked lists. I noticed that the qsort had a qsort_r function that would allow you to specifiy the argument being passed to qsort's callback function, I was thinking something like this could be done for heapsort, or modify the call back function to populate the array dynamically. The overall goal here is to use a in-place algorithm that does not require all the data it is working on to be in main memory. I am also trying to avoid re-inveting the wheel a bit. Any advice would...

How to format unordered list?
There's a pretty good tutorial here: http://www.mediacollege.com/internet/css/ul-list.html but the problem is *none of the directive seem to be doing anything* for me. What I want is a) no indentation, and b) an image as a marker. From what I've read, the CSS should look something like this: #sidebar ul { list-style-image: url("/images/arrow.gif"); list-style-position: inside; } one joker in the pack is I have a class nested in an id: <div id="sidebar"> <div class="sidebartext"> [php-generated l...