Layout problem

Hi there,

I need some advice:
How can I modify the \textwidth for just one page?

Example with 3 paragraphs (a, b, and c):

[page 1]
__________ ||
aaaaaaaaaa ||
aaaaaaa.   ||
 bb        || * here the narrow \textwidth
bbb        ||   starts and must go till
bbb        ||   the end of the page.
__________ ||

[page 2]
__________ ||
bbbbbbbbbb ||
bbbbbbb.   ||
cccccccccc ||
cccccccccc ||
ccc...     ||
__________ ||

(Narrow page 1 after paragraph 'a' and wider page 2 starting at the
very top.)

Thanks in advance.

Mika

You can try the chngpage.sty package and use a command like:

% The syntax is like this:
% \changetext{textheight}{textwidth}{evensidemargin}{oddsidemargin}
{columnsep}
\changetext{0pt}{1in}{0pt}{0pt}{0pt}

You might have to use a \newpage or a \clearpage to make the changes
take effect.

If you use the memoir.cls documentclass, you can also use the
adjustwidth environment.
0
vnessun (302)

Thanks, but the problem still continue...

I tried to use \changetext{}{6pc}{}{}{} within a \afterpage and also
with the \AtNextShipout but without results, actualy nothing happens.
The big problem is how to change de layout just when the page breaks,
even if the last paragraph of the modified page continues on the next
page.

Here is my code (exemple)

---
aaaaaaaaa aaaaa aaaaa aaaa.

\changetext{}{-10pc}{}{}{}\afterpage{\changetext{}{10pc}{}{}{}}
bbbbbbb bbbb bbb bbb bbbbb bbbbbbbbb bbbbb [NATURAL PAGE BREAK OCCURS
HERE] bbbb bbb bbbbb bbbbb bbbb.

ccccccc ccccc cccccc ccccc...
---

Result: next page continues with 10pc narrow width.

Mika
Am Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:05:28 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Mika:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, but the problem still continue...
>
> I tried to use \changetext{}{6pc}{}{}{} within a \afterpage and also
> with the \AtNextShipout but without results, actualy nothing happens.
> The big problem is how to change de layout just when the page breaks,
> even if the last paragraph of the modified page continues on the next
> page.

You can't do this. TeX will have build the paragraph before the page
break. It will not rebuild it if you change the page layout later.

A half automatic solution is possible:
If you know how much lines of the paragraph are on the first page you
can use \hangindent/\hangafter/\parshape to change the width of the
following lines of this paragraph.

--
Ulrike Fischer
0
Mika wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I need some advice:
> How can I modify the \textwidth for just one page?
>
> Example with 3 paragraphs (a, b, and c):
>
> [page 1]
> __________ ||
> aaaaaaaaaa ||
> aaaaaaa.   ||
>  bb        || * here the narrow \textwidth
> bbb        ||   starts and must go till
> bbb        ||   the end of the page.
> __________ ||

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

\noindent\begin{minipage}{.8\columnwidth}
bbbbbbbbbb.
\end{minipage}

[untested]

///Peter
0
Peter
4/6/2008 11:02:13 AM
A few weeks ago, I tried doing the same thing that you are trying to
do with the afterpage.  The last paragraph on the page is formed
before it is shipped out and the closest I got it still left the first
paragraph on the new page with the old layout.  I finally decided to
use some full-page floats that had different widths, but I had to
split the text to make stand-alone text boxes.

Another option  is to manually break the page as in the example
below.  Note that I first compiled the document to see where the break
was, then I inserted the changepage, and used a \noindent so it looks
like the paragraph is continued.  This would be a pain to do on a
regular basis.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{chngpage}
%\usepackage{afterpage}
\setlength{\parindent}{1.5em}
\begin{document}
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
[...]

bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh iii jjj kkk
lll mmm nnn ooo ppp qqq rrr sss ttt uuu vvv www xxx yyy zzz 111 222
333 444 555 666

%\afterpage{\changetext{}{10pc}{}{}{}}
\changetext{}{-10pc}{}{}{}\noindent 777 888 999 000 bbb ccc ddd eee
fff ggg hhh bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh iii jjj kkk lll mmm nnn ooo
ppp qqq rrr sss ttt uuu vvv www xxx yyy zzz 111 222 333 444 555 666
777 888 999 000 bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg
hhh iii jjj kkk lll mmm nnn ooo ppp qqq rrr sss ttt uuu vvv www xxx
yyy zzz 111 222 333 444 555 666 777 888 999 000

asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf

asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf

ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk

[...]

\end{document}

0
vnessun (302)

Problem with text layout in the gnuplot buffer of gnuplot mode in xemacs
Hi all, I'm having a problem with gnuplot mode (version 0.6.0) under Xemacs. The text in the *gnuplot* buffer is all appearing on one line. E.g. if I press enter a few times I see: gnuplot> gnuplot> gnuplot> gnuplot> gnuplot> gnuplot> gnuplot> Text sent to the buffer or entered directly there is generally overwritten by the next appearence of the prompt. If I start other Comint interaction buffers after gnuplot mode, (e.g. the shell or py-shell) the problem affects them also. The problem does not appear under emacs (21.3.1). It appears whether I pre-compile gnuplot mode or not. I've looked for differences in all the lisp variables I could find associated with comint mode, but didn't find anything. I'm using Xemacs 21.4 patch 15, and gnuplot 4.0 patchlevel 0. Any ideas on how to fix this, or suggestions on tracking it down would be a great help. Thanks, Mike ...

problem with importing text with number and text
i am trying to import a csv file (~49000 rows x 52 cols) with numbers text and characters in it and not getting through. xlsread works fine with all my data except the first column of data which is a time stamp. it converts the time stamps into a constant value through the entire column. To add to the problem, when opened as a text file, every row of the file starts with a comma. I got very close with textscan/textread with all the data coming in but all the rows are transposed into one column one above the other ( imagine 49000 rows 52 cells long transposed one above the other in one column c...

Text Encoding Problems
I am using the code 'convertEncoding(field1.text,encodings.SystemDefault)' to ensure that if a user enters special characters (eg bullet points and so on) into a field, they are saved correctly. However, although this code solves that problem, Japanese characters are still returned as '?'. Is there an easy way of check if Japanese characters are used in the field, and saving these correctly? Thanks Graeme In article <BE8191AC.206EA%blocksoft@dsl.pipex.com>, BlockSoft <blocksoft@dsl.pipex.com> wrote: > I am using the code 'convertEncoding(fi...

Problem importing PDF image (problem with the text)
I want to make some changes to a map. It's available as a PDF with graphics and text. As a PDF I can zoom to any level and the text looks great. When I import the PDF into GIMP, the text is horrible. All diagonals and curves in the letters are jagged. This happens regardless of whether I tell GIMP to anitalias text. I can see the anti-aliasing of the graphics lines, but not of the text. My system is: Win2K Gimp 2.4.2 GhostScript 8.54 I've learned to import PDFs at high resolution to retain accuracy when enlarging them, so I've tried up to 500 when import...

Text problem.
After formatting I've reinstalled psp. If I click on the text tool then on the image I want to add text to nothing happens. No pop up box at all. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Chris. Chris wrote: > After formatting I've reinstalled psp. If I click on the text > tool then on the image I want to add text to nothing happens. No > pop up box at all. Any suggestions appreciated. Is that the only tool that fails to work, Chris? If so, thinking about what it needs that other tools do not need leads to fonts. Do other apps that use Windows fonts (like Word or WordPad) work ...

Text problem.
After formatting I've reinstalled psp. If I click on the text tool then on the image I want to add text to nothing happens. No pop up box at all. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Chris. Chris wrote: > After formatting I've reinstalled psp. If I click on the text > tool then on the image I want to add text to nothing happens. No > pop up box at all. Any suggestions appreciated. Is that the only tool that fails to work, Chris? If so, thinking about what it needs that other tools do not need leads to fonts. Do other apps that use Windows fonts (like Word or WordPad) work ...

Layout Problem
Hi There, I have a little Problem. I try describe it by this picture. http://clients.frixxx.de/xhtml/tables.jpg all areas named with "table"+nr are div tags. ok in table2 there are 2 tables 3 and 4 and i like table3 to have the same height as table4 and table4 the same as table3 depending on the content. f.e. content of table4 requires more height, than table3 should get the same height as table3. This should all be xhtml1.1 compatible. I tried it but the tables 3 & 4 had more height than table2. that is not wanted. can anyone help? MFG <f:x> ...

Problem with Text
I have created a text string as "vector" Then another text string, again vector. I now wish to use the move tool to move the 2nd text string, but the first text string moves with it. What am I doing wrong. Hope some one can help TIA tibs@tibia.com wrote in news:togh525mufugrfcunjju38gh7uun2emqjk@ 4ax.com: > I have created a text string as "vector" > Then another text string, again vector. > I now wish to use the move tool to move the 2nd text string, but the > first text string moves with it. > What am I doing wrong. > Hope some one can help > TIA &g...

Layout problems
Hi I posted this to alt.html earlier but thought I would try here as well. I am trying to create what initially seemed to be a fairly simple layout using CSS. This is what I am trying to do: http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~nrkn/explain/req.png I have made a prototype of the page using tables to show you how the page should look and work when the browser window is resized. Please ignore the shabby html, I threw this together in Frontpage. It works in both IE and Mozilla well enough to explain what I am trying to do (although is a bit odd in Mozilla): http://homepages.ihug....

layout problems
ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH... I have a main app window. I want to create a dialog/wizard tool that allows users to specify options that will then be entered into a perl hash table to begin processing data. The problem I am fighting is that regrdless of how I specify the layout, my widgets in my sub-frame are all located at the bottom of my main window. Any wisdom that can be imparted to me? Regards, Joe ----- Original Message ----- From: <joe.cipale@radisys.com> Newsgroups: comp.lang.tcl Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 3:23 PM Subject: layout problems > ARGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH... > > I have a main app window. I want to create a dialog/wizard tool that > allows users to specify options that will then be entered into a perl > hash table to begin processing data. > > The problem I am fighting is that regrdless of how I specify the > layout, my widgets in my sub-frame are all located at the bottom of my > main window. > > Any wisdom that can be imparted to me? While I'm confident that your problems can be easily solved by the group, I think it's going to be tough without some additional information... For starters: - What geometry manager(s) are you using (pack, grid, or place)? and most importantly... Can you show us any offending code snippets? That would really increase the chances of getting a well targeted response. Jeff joe.cipale@radisys.com wrote: > The problem I am fighting is that regrdless of how I specify ...

Text Problem
Hi Everyone, I'm having some problems inputing text in Lightwave 8.3. I'm using a True Type font called "Chubb." All I'm writting is the word "CyaticStudios." When I get to the second "i" I get an error message. "Unable to regenerate contour. This may be caused by highly non-planar polygons, or by ambiguous overlap between polygon edges and the cutting tool. Triple non-planar polygons or add a small offset to data and try again." I looked in the manual, and it suggested going into the "General Options" and changing the Cu...

text + text

Layout problems
Hi, I have a JList which is inside a JScrollPane (which is in a hbox which is in a vbox): http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/scroll.png If the single entry in the list happens to be too long, scrollbars show up and obscure the view. Is there a way to make Swing calculate that this will happen and make it allocate more space? Thank you very much! Aaron Fude "aaronfude@gmail.com =D0=B4=B5=C0=A3=BA " > Hi, > > I have a JList which is inside a JScrollPane (which is in a hbox which > is in a vbox): > > http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/scroll.png > > If the single entry in the list happens to be too long, scrollbars show > up and obscure the view. Is there a way to make Swing calculate that > this will happen and make it allocate more space? > > Thank you very much! > > Aaron Fude Hello, Try JList.setVisibleRowCount(int visibleRowCount) to set the preferred number of rows. I hope this useful ^ ^" Bs! NeoGeoSNK ...

Problems problems....
I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. I'm angry :)) I have LVD/SE terminator, and i think 68pin cable ( not sure about that ). Hope i gave you enough info to try and help. Thanx! -- ----------------------------------- Makni #### iz adrese Seems obvious that the drive is going belly up. You could download the manufacture's utility disk and confirm it. I think time would more wisely be spent backing up your data before you can't read it at all. DaveL "biBU" <idolovcak####@inet.hr> wrote in message news:cuslus$ljq$1@fegnews.vip.hr... > I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. > > Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even > bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does > not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it > seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it > all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. > I'm angry :)) > > ...

Problems with layout
Hi I made a screenshot of the problem (3.6K): http://www.cip.biologie.uni-osnabrueck.de/niehaus/missingtext.png In theory I have 9 wxPanel aligned in a vertical box (vbox). Each panel has a wxBitmap on the left and a string (only one word) on the right side. As you can see there is no text (I tried to adumbrate it for the first two items using GIMP...). You see the bitmaps but only the top left corner. The bitmaps should be about 5x5cm and you see the top left 1x1cm of them. name() returns the correct string, I checked and symbol() return the correct bitmap, I also checke...

encoding problem with BeautifulSoup
Hi, I am having some encoding problems when I first parse stuff from a non-english website using BeautifulSoup and then write the results to a txt file. I have the text both as a normal (text) and as a unicode string (utext): print repr(text) 'Branie zak\xc2\xb3adnik\xc3\xb3w' print repr(utext) u'Branie zak\xb3adnik\xf3w' print text or print utext (fileSoup.prettify() also shows 'wrong' symbols): Branie zak=B3adnik=F3w Now I am trying to save this to a file but I never get the encoding right. Here is what I tried (+ lot's of different things with encode, decode...

Placing text in PICT, problem getting text all the way to the bottom
49G+ I am creating a PICT to view in my program. One of the things I am doing it placing labels on the drawing. I use a short line of code below to place a simple string in small text in the drawing: { # 40h # 49h } "Label" 1. \->GROB PICT ROT ROT GOR I want the text to be at the very bottom, every pixel counts kinda thing, and when I use { # 40h # 50h } I get an error and the text is two pixels up from the bottom. Any advice to get it all the way down to the bottom or this not possible on the 49G+. >I am creating a PICT to view in my program. One of the things I am &g...

The Problems of TeX
TeX, and its derivatives such as LaTeX, receives a lot praise and is widely used. However, i think there is one aspect of TeX that is a damaging flaw, and this criticism is little known. I feel this problem should have wider awareness. The following essay, is edited version of my email messages, on the harm of TeX. (HTML version is available at: http://xahlee.org/cmaci/notation/TeX_pestilence.html ) ------------------------------------- Problems of TeX TeX is detrimental because it harbors ignorance of the structural content embodied in most math notations in most fields. What TeX does is typesetting, as opposed to math expression encoding. In other words, what TeX does is pretty-printing. The language is designed in a way that any structural info in a math expression are botched. As such, TeX, even though it is a full-fledged computer language capable of great programing, but it understands zilch of math expressions, it encodes zilch math expressions. Now that is a egregious error of a computer language purporting to express mathematics. And more so because it is a product of a mathematician who should've known better. LaTeX mended TeX by turning a pretty printing system into a structured documentation system. However, since TeX at its core is a pretty picture system, no amount fix can correct that other than complete discard. LaTeX fixed nothing about TeX's botching of the structural info in math notations. As a testament of TeX's shortcomings, TeX botch...

Text Problem
Hello everyone, I'm having a problem pulling the specific text that I want from an XML file. When we receive this file from it's source several of the fields have asterisks at the beginning. For what we need to do with the text we need the asterisks gone. For example, a name field might have "*Smith". What I need to produce in my text file is "Smith" I was hoping to do all the processing on my file with XSLT. Does XSLT have a function in which I can inspect text and manipulate it? If so what is it and where can I find more information on it. Thank you all for your help. rosemm wrote: > I was hoping to do all the processing on my file with XSLT. Does XSLT > have a function in which I can inspect text and manipulate it? If so > what is it and where can I find more information on it. XSLT 1.0 uses XPath 1.0 functions as documented here: <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#section-String-Functions> so starts-with and substring-after will probably solve what you are looking for. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ Tempore 17:20:37, die Thursday 13 January 2005 AD, hinc in foro {comp.text.xml} scripsit rosemm <rose.m@ghc.org>: > When we receive this file from it's source several of the fields have > asterisks at the beginning. For what we need to do with the text we > need the asterisks gone. For example, a name field might have "*Smith". > What I need to produce in my text file is &qu...

text-text

Problem with Text
I have created a text string as "vector" Then another text string, again vector. I now wish to use the move tool to move the 2nd text string, but the first text string moves with it. What am I doing wrong. Hope some one can help TIA tibs@tibia.com wrote in news:togh525mufugrfcunjju38gh7uun2emqjk@ 4ax.com: > I have created a text string as "vector" > Then another text string, again vector. > I now wish to use the move tool to move the 2nd text string, but the > first text string moves with it. > What am I doing wrong. > Hope some one can help > TIA &g...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

Japanese text entry problem Mac OS X 10.3.4 -- Kotoeri grayed out in i8n text entry palette
I've activated kotoeri text entry (romaji, hiragana, etc) in the internationalization system preferences dialogue. I can successfully enter text in Japanese kana, however, there is no kanji conversion as you would expect with hitting the space key. It's as if the dictionary used is missing. Does anyone know the path to the dictionary file that kotoeri uses, or is there some setup component that I may be missing? I have an older ti powerbook that is upgraded to 10.3.4 Thanks Sean ...

Web resources about - Layout problem - comp.text.tex

Establishing sleep patterns early in life key to avoiding future problems
Children have just the first five years of life to develop good sleeping habits before they are at risk of adjusting poorly to school and developing ...

Slater frustrated with shoulder problems
BILLY Slater is said to be “disappointed” and “frustrated” with the Melbourne Storm star set to undergo an arthroscope on his troublesome left ...

Establishing sleep patterns early in life key to avoiding future problems
Children have just the first five years of life to develop good sleeping habits before they are at risk of adjusting poorly to school and developing ...

SmartPot Problems: Marijuana And The Internet Of Things
What happens when you combine cannabis, whose laws are changing almost daily, with technologies that are constantly evolving as well?

Obama Wants SXSW to Help Solve America's Problems, Including Apple Standoff
President Obama asked a tech-savvy audience attending the first day of the South by Southwest Interactive Festival in Austin to help tackle the ...

NASTY: Bill Clinton's Disgusting Flatulence Problems Date Back to White House Years
It's not just Granny Catlady who stinks. It's also her husband : Clinton became so flatulent at one point during his presidency that his close ...

Weekend Reading: Andrew Gelman: The problems with p-values are not just with p-values
**Andrew Gelman**: [The problems with p-values are not just with p-values](http://andrewgelman.com/2016/03/07/29212/): >The American Statistical ...

Obama approval rating could be GOP problem - Business Insider Deutschland
The wild, wacky exhibit that has been the GOP presidential primary could be making more voters yearn for someone like the person currently in ...

Apple's iPhone problem in one chart: Apple usually does worse than the market as a whole
... net adds of new phones are in decline , and the major portion of "growth" to be had is in replacing existing units. That's a particular problem ...