Layout problem

Hi there,

I need some advice:
How can I modify the \textwidth for just one page?

Example with 3 paragraphs (a, b, and c):

[page 1]
__________ ||
aaaaaaaaaa ||
aaaaaaa.   ||
 bb        || * here the narrow \textwidth
bbb        ||   starts and must go till
bbb        ||   the end of the page.
__________ ||

[page 2]
__________ ||
bbbbbbbbbb ||
bbbbbbb.   ||
cccccccccc ||
cccccccccc ||
ccc...     ||
__________ ||

(Narrow page 1 after paragraph 'a' and wider page 2 starting at the
very top.)

Thanks in advance.

Mika

You can try the chngpage.sty package and use a command like:

% The syntax is like this:
% \changetext{textheight}{textwidth}{evensidemargin}{oddsidemargin}
{columnsep}
\changetext{0pt}{1in}{0pt}{0pt}{0pt}

You might have to use a \newpage or a \clearpage to make the changes
take effect.

If you use the memoir.cls documentclass, you can also use the
adjustwidth environment.
0
vnessun (302)

Thanks, but the problem still continue...

I tried to use \changetext{}{6pc}{}{}{} within a \afterpage and also
with the \AtNextShipout but without results, actualy nothing happens.
The big problem is how to change de layout just when the page breaks,
even if the last paragraph of the modified page continues on the next
page.

Here is my code (exemple)

---
aaaaaaaaa aaaaa aaaaa aaaa.

\changetext{}{-10pc}{}{}{}\afterpage{\changetext{}{10pc}{}{}{}}
bbbbbbb bbbb bbb bbb bbbbb bbbbbbbbb bbbbb [NATURAL PAGE BREAK OCCURS
HERE] bbbb bbb bbbbb bbbbb bbbb.

ccccccc ccccc cccccc ccccc...
---

Result: next page continues with 10pc narrow width.

Mika
Am Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:05:28 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Mika:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, but the problem still continue...
>
> I tried to use \changetext{}{6pc}{}{}{} within a \afterpage and also
> with the \AtNextShipout but without results, actualy nothing happens.
> The big problem is how to change de layout just when the page breaks,
> even if the last paragraph of the modified page continues on the next
> page.

You can't do this. TeX will have build the paragraph before the page
break. It will not rebuild it if you change the page layout later.

A half automatic solution is possible:
If you know how much lines of the paragraph are on the first page you
can use \hangindent/\hangafter/\parshape to change the width of the
following lines of this paragraph.

--
Ulrike Fischer
0
Mika wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I need some advice:
> How can I modify the \textwidth for just one page?
>
> Example with 3 paragraphs (a, b, and c):
>
> [page 1]
> __________ ||
> aaaaaaaaaa ||
> aaaaaaa.   ||
>  bb        || * here the narrow \textwidth
> bbb        ||   starts and must go till
> bbb        ||   the end of the page.
> __________ ||

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

\noindent\begin{minipage}{.8\columnwidth}
bbbbbbbbbb.
\end{minipage}

[untested]

///Peter
0
Peter
4/6/2008 11:02:13 AM
A few weeks ago, I tried doing the same thing that you are trying to
do with the afterpage.  The last paragraph on the page is formed
before it is shipped out and the closest I got it still left the first
paragraph on the new page with the old layout.  I finally decided to
use some full-page floats that had different widths, but I had to
split the text to make stand-alone text boxes.

Another option  is to manually break the page as in the example
below.  Note that I first compiled the document to see where the break
was, then I inserted the changepage, and used a \noindent so it looks
like the paragraph is continued.  This would be a pain to do on a
regular basis.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{chngpage}
%\usepackage{afterpage}
\setlength{\parindent}{1.5em}
\begin{document}
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
[...]

bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh iii jjj kkk
lll mmm nnn ooo ppp qqq rrr sss ttt uuu vvv www xxx yyy zzz 111 222
333 444 555 666

%\afterpage{\changetext{}{10pc}{}{}{}}
\changetext{}{-10pc}{}{}{}\noindent 777 888 999 000 bbb ccc ddd eee
fff ggg hhh bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh iii jjj kkk lll mmm nnn ooo
ppp qqq rrr sss ttt uuu vvv www xxx yyy zzz 111 222 333 444 555 666
777 888 999 000 bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg
hhh iii jjj kkk lll mmm nnn ooo ppp qqq rrr sss ttt uuu vvv www xxx
yyy zzz 111 222 333 444 555 666 777 888 999 000

asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf

asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf
asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf
asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf asdf adf adf asdf adf asdf

ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk
ghjk ghjk ghjk ghjk

[...]

\end{document}

0
vnessun (302)

intermittent DVD problems
I've always had some difficulty with my dvd drive, but things have gotten significantly worse since I last watched a movie. Originally, most dvds would play. Sometimes, though, the drive would spin the disc and stop with a 'click' noise. It would continue attempting to read the disc, repeating the spin-click noises, to no avail. This wasn't a big problem because 9/10 dvds would play and I had an extra player in another room. It's been a few months now since I last watched a dvd on my computer. I rented 4 discs the other day, but only one would play. For the othe...

Dallas MTK problem
I am using the DS80C400 with a clock source of 27MHz. I found the MTK unreliable when I set it to com1 of 115200 baud so reduced the baud rate to 57600. I then uploaded the hex file into Flash and all seemed to be well apart from receiving a response "Did not receive B back" and "load failed". What seems to have happened is that after sending some hard resets by toggling DSTR, MTK started sending serial info at 115200 and seems to have autonegotiated this speed in favour of the set speed of 57600. The DS80C400 receives commands from MTK at this higher baud rate bu...

Problems with fonts in Pagemaker 7.0 and XP
Since installing Pagemaker 7.0 on an XP machine, I can make a PDF OK (Pagemaker > Distiller) but the fonts don't come out right (see below). To get the PDF to come out with the correct fonts (all Arial, by the way), I have to transfer the Pagemaker file and linked files to my trusty old Win98SE computer, which then makes a perfectly good PDF file with no special configuring. After I got this output, I copied all the fonts from old computer to this folder: c:\program files\adobe\pagemaker 7.0\extra\fonts I still get the same result. You can see that the space character is showing up as...

createuser problem #4
Friends The man page of createuser shows that only superusers can create users with "createuser". How can i make an ordinary user a super user? Manu ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org) On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 03:31, Manu M P wrote: > Friends > > The man page of createuser shows that only superusers can create users > with "createuser". How can i make a...

How to code my problem?
Hi all, How could I get the condensed results as below? What I want is to get the results which the corresponding indicator shows "Yes" and the contents is not blank. I stucked at the condense output after I created two arrays and got the values. How to shift the non_blank values? raw data (I used * here to indicate blank) A_I A B_I B C_I C D_I D Y 8 Y 6 Y 1 Y 9 Y 2 N 8 Y * Y 9 N * Y * Y 8 N 2 Y 9 Y* Y * Y 4 Desired output; X1 X2 X3 X4 8 6 1 9 2 9 8 9 4 Thanks very much! Create an array using A_I, B_I, C_I, and D_I. Create a second array using A, B, C, and D. Create a thir...

Problems with ATI Catalyst 3.6 and F4 Hud fonts
Hi, with my new Radeon 9500 and Catalyst 3.6 the fonts in my F4 hud display are not readable any more. I had a similar problem with my old Gefore2 which I can fix by setting the texture alignment to zero in one of the driver's menu. I didn't found such a slider in the ATI driver. Can anybody give me a hint or point me to the registry entry where I can modify it. TIA Rudi Rudolf Bros <rudolf_bros@yahoo.de> wrote in message news:<3f6584b6$0$30050$9b622d9e@news.freenet.de>... > Hi, > with my new Radeon 9500 and Catalyst 3.6 the fonts in my > F4 hud...

Mailbox view problem with STATUS and PRIORITY options
When I use the Tools->Option->Mailbox to set up the columns to view, I cannot use the Status or Priority columns. If I tick any of these options, I cannot see the other columns as these 2 columns are over the width of the window in length. I have tried to change the width of them but cannot . If I do not use these columns, all other columns are visible and they can also be re-sized. Is there a way to change the width of these 2 columns? Martin fredbear@martymonster.com wrote: > > When I use the Tools->Option->Mailbox to set up the columns to view, I...

GCC problem
Hi all: I want to create a program with gcc. In this program must to include a header file is called sched.h,and it in the directory /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358/include/linux. so,the head of the program is: #include <linux/sched.h> and,to compile this program, type $ gcc -c hello.c /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358/include Could anyone tell me whether the practice above is correct? Thanks in advance Terence In comp.os.linux.development.apps terence@ms71.url.com.tw wrote: > I want to create a program with gcc. In this program must to include a > ...

Problem with decomposing a transformation-matrix
I'm writing a 3D-program, and each 3D-object in the scene has the following transform-members: CPoint3D position CAxisAngle rotation CVector3D scale // in percents along each axis CPoint3D pivotposition CAxisAngle pivotrotation Just to mention, finding the matrix for the object the following pocedure is used: CMatrix3x4 matrix; // note that the matrix has only 3 rows (4 rows is only used for perspectivating) matrix.Identity(); matrix.Translate(CVector3D(pivotpos)*-1.0); matrix.RotateDegree(pivotrot.axis, -pivotrot.angle); matrix.Scale(CVector3D(scale.x/100.0, scale.y/10...

Problem with system preferences
Running 10.8.5 on a two year old MacBook Pro. It totally ignores my energy saver settings in system preferences. Other than moving to Maverick, is there anything I can do, or look for to correct this. TIA In article <1lpjl3v.1a1uekd1iw93b3N%paulfuchs@spamain'tkosher.oink>, <paulfuchs@spamain'tkosher.oink> wrote: > Running 10.8.5 on a two year old MacBook Pro. It totally ignores my > energy saver settings in system preferences. Other than moving to > Maverick, is there anything I can do, or look for to correct this. > > TIA Energy Saver ...

Tying objects in layout
Hello all, I have the following problem in Virtuoso layout: I have an object in layout, a pcell of a transistor for example. I will call this the "master object". I would like to attach an another object to it (lets call it "slave") so that it would follow changes made to the master object. The slave object should be updated when any of the following changes are made to the master object: 1) Move 2) Rotate 3) Parameter change (e.g changing the width of a transistor) The first case is easy to implement with rodAlign, but the second and third cases are the problem. What I...

TCP Acknowledgement Problems and Need Consultant in San Jose Area
We are having severe file server performance issues in a Windows network, and I need some help in diagnosing behavior I am seeing. Windows 2003 clients and servers can alter the default TCP ACK frequency by setting a value named TcpAckFrequency for each specific adapter located in the registry key: \\HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{999...999} The value of TcpAckFrequency is the number of packets after which a TCP ACK is sent. Higher values for TcpAckFrequency mean fewer ACKs are being sent out. In the following report, the client is W...

Strange Problem #2
Hi All! I am running into a strange problem while doing my simulations. The program seems to be running fine till a particular number of iterations and after that it aborts and gives a segmentation fault error. What is really intriguing is the fact that this is happening even after randomly initializing the seed in every run. I changed certain parameters and yet this is happening. I changed the system (rjc04) still this happens. Everytime the number of iterations after which it aborts is the same (100140 for every single run). Could anyone help me out with this? Thanks Ok, I think I figu...

JDBC problem
I'm running an engine with 15 databases, with fair amount of load. Every 4-5 days I'm getting error like this from the java side and the application stops working (and wont come back unless I restart) : java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method) at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92) at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136) at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.flushBuffer(BufferedOutputStream.java:66) at java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write(BufferedOutputSt...

wxList problems?
Hi, all! I'm new to wxWidgets. I'm trying to use wxList now, but I have problems with it. When I write everything in my .h file, i.e. including class definition and implementation, everything is OK. However, when I try to write move implementation to .cpp file, it failed to compile! Is it what it should be or I've done sth. wrong at somewhere? Thank you! I would like one of the buttons on my wxToolbar to change bitmaps when a user clicks on it. I thought if I declared a pointer to a wxBitmap that I could down the road just call LoadFile() to change the bitmap on the bu...

DBlink problem
Hi, I wanted to create dblink (Oracle 8i) to resolve problem with connecting to the remote database without configuring tnsnames.ora, but it seems that I cannot do this. Is there any solution that I can connect to the remote database from local db or by using sqlplus without configuring tnsnames.ora? I have tried: create database link test_link connect to current_user using 'T:<remote_ip_address>:<remote_service_name>'; but it does not work. Thanks in advance, Albert Try it like this: create database link test_link connect to current_user using '(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRES...

Optimum SCSI device layout?
I have at work an Ultra 60 with two disk drives and a CDROM on the internal scsi bus, and a Sparc Storage Flexipack (599-2130) containing a tape drive and a CD/RW on the other bus. I was wondering if there is a preferred layout of the scsi devices in this situation to get better or more reliable performance when burning CDs eg, should the CDROM and CD/RW be together in the Flexipack on the external bus, or is it more efficient to transfer data between the two buses? Maybe it doesn't matter, but I thought it worth an enquiry. Thanks for any thoughts on the subject. Happy Christmas. B. --...

Binding problem
I have server, daemon and client (daemon and client on the same machine). When client starts it send query to the server, server send query to the deamon (daemon check if the client exist), daemon send a response to the server, server send a response to the client. First I had following numbers of udp ports: S_PORT 2613 /* Server Port number */ S1_PORT 2614 /* Server Port for Daemon response */ C_PORT 2620 /* Client Port number */ S_APP_PORT 2624 /* application info port */ D_PORT 2619 /* Daemon Port number */ Above configuration was good o...

Doom 3 audio problem
My GeForce4 Ti 4200 is actually handling the game much better than I expected, but I'm having an audio problem with my Turtle Beach Santa Cruz; at the beginning of the game, and after a new area loads, the sounds gets really choppy. Voices, music, incidental sounds, they all skip fairly badly at first, and then smooth out until the next loading sequence. Anyone have any thoughts? ...

Counting problem #2
Hi all, I could not think of an easy or straightforward way for doing the following problem. data have ; input id $ pur_date new1 new2 used pur_order ; cards ; 100 09/2006 1 . . 2 100 07/2006 . . 1 1 101 03/2006 . . 1 2 101 11/2005 . . 1 1 ; run ; data need ; input id $ used_to_new1 used_to_used ; cards ; 100 1 . 101 . 1 ; run ; assumptions: .. ***for every id and/or observation, either new1 or new2 or used will have a value of 1. In the above sample dataset, id 100 has moved from 'used' to 'new1' ...

UCHAR problem
Hello The problem i have is this : i want to use the following structure in a DLL that i created: typedef struct _NDIS_802_11_SSID { ULONG SsidLength; UCHAR Ssid [32]; } NDIS_802_11_SSID, *PNDIS_802_11_SSID; and i want to take the UCHAR Ssid[32] field and copy in it a certain variable.I've tried the following ways : NDIS_802_11_SSID Data; _tcsncpy((TCHAR *)Data.Ssid, mySSID, 32); strncpy((char *)pData.m_SSID.Ssid, mySSID, 32); if i display it like this it works : MessageBox(NULL, Data.Ssid, L"", MB_OK); and it displays ok : "EXAMPLE". If i...

US-Te-Austin: Web Developer, HTML, XHTML, CSS, Layout Design, 1mo. (45390228771)
US-Te-Austin: Web Developer, HTML, XHTML, CSS, Layout Design, 1mo. (45390228771) ================================================================================ Position: Web Developer Reference: ALM00010 Location: Austin Te Duration: 1mo. Skills: HTML, XHTML, CSS, MYSQL 5.0.21, PHP 5.0.4. Designing, developing, and implementing web applications. Fluent in Spanish�reading, writing, and speaking. Good communication skills to correspond with non-technical staff. Scope: Develop code and aid in ...

Problem overloading operator <<
Hello, another strange problem occured to me. The following method template <typename FK, typename FD> std::ostream& operator << ( std::ostream& out, MacroNode<FK,FD>& mn ) { out << "(" ; for ( int i = 0; i < (2 * mn.order); ++i ) if ( mn.nodes[i] == NULL ) out << "X|" ; else out << stringify(&mn.nodes[i]->key) + ")" ; return ( out ); } fails at runtime with the message: *** glibc detected *** corr...

NDIS MPSendPackets problem
I am witing NDIS IM driver based on passthru sample. I've got a problem with sending my own packet in MPSendPackets routine. Right now I do not change packet data (it's for test purposes) - so checksum task offload does not concern. If I send small packets everything is ok, but I cannot send larger packets. What I did wrong in the code below?? Please help. NdisAllocatePacket(&Status, &MyPacket, pAdapt->SendPacketPoolHandle); if (Status == NDIS_STATUS_SUCCESS) {...

Permissions Problems
Hi. I ran Verify Disk Permissions on my main hard drive (whose name is Big Baby). I got the following errors/message: Verify permissions for �Big Baby� Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS /ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/ A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired. Permissions differ on "private/var/log/secure.log", should be -rw-r----- , they are -rw------- . Permis...