ledmac and critical epic poetry without stanzas

Hello all,

I've been reading all sorts of documents, and have looked at the
ledmac examples, but I still haven't yet found the solution.  I'm
trying to typeset some epic Latin poetry, and would like line
counting, and proper verse environment (i.e., with hanging indentation
wrapping of long lines).  I've tried a form of:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{ledmac,ledpar}
\usepackage{verse}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\beginnumbering
\pstart
\begin{verse}
Arma virumque cano, Troiae qui primus ab oris \\
Italiam, fato profugus, Laviniaque venit \\
litora, multum ille et terris iactatus et alto \\
vi superum saevae memorem Iunonis ob iram; \\
multa quoque et bello passus, dum conderet urbem,  \\
inferretque deos Latio, genus unde Latinum, \\
Albanique patres, atque altae moenia Romae. \\
Musa, mihi causas memora, quo numine laeso, \\
quidve dolens, regina deum tot volvere casus \\
insignem pietate virum, tot adire labores
\end{verse}
\pend
\endnumbering

Of course I'll be adding lots of notes and app crit information, so
this is just the basic layout I'm using.

I'm having a few problems with the above combination.  ledmac counts
all printed lines, but I only want the actual line numbers (ledmac
will do so using \stanza, but I can't write out 800 stanza indents for
a book of poetry).  As well, sometimes the spacing is irregular and
lines are printed without indentation at all, or somewhat squished
against the preceeding line.  (I can send samples if it helps, and my
full source code)

I've tried all sorts of combinations, and other packages, but I'm
quite happy with ledmac and would like to continuing using it.  I've
taken a thorough look at djdpoems.tex and ledbraonain.tex for some
examples, but they use the stanza macro.

I just can't figure out how best to have it typeset lengthy sets of
poetry (I suppose "irregular" stanzas).  I read in one post by Peter
Wilson that ledmac is quite capable of handling such a setup, but for
the life of me, I can't figure it out.  I'm surely missing something
simple!  Any help?

Much thanks,

- Steve

Steve wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been reading all sorts of documents, and have looked at the
> ledmac examples, but I still haven't yet found the solution.  I'm
> trying to typeset some epic Latin poetry, and would like line
> counting, and proper verse environment (i.e., with hanging indentation
> wrapping of long lines).  I've tried a form of:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{ledmac,ledpar}
> \usepackage{verse}
> \usepackage{fancyhdr}
> \beginnumbering
> \pstart
> \begin{verse}
> Arma virumque cano, Troiae qui primus ab oris \\
> Italiam, fato profugus, Laviniaque venit \\
> litora, multum ille et terris iactatus et alto \\
> vi superum saevae memorem Iunonis ob iram; \\
> multa quoque et bello passus, dum conderet urbem,  \\
> inferretque deos Latio, genus unde Latinum, \\
> Albanique patres, atque altae moenia Romae. \\
> Musa, mihi causas memora, quo numine laeso, \\
> quidve dolens, regina deum tot volvere casus \\
> insignem pietate virum, tot adire labores
> \end{verse}
> \pend
> \endnumbering
>
> Of course I'll be adding lots of notes and app crit information, so
> this is just the basic layout I'm using.
>
> I'm having a few problems with the above combination.  ledmac counts
> all printed lines, but I only want the actual line numbers (ledmac
> will do so using \stanza, but I can't write out 800 stanza indents for
> a book of poetry).  As well, sometimes the spacing is irregular and
> lines are printed without indentation at all, or somewhat squished
> against the preceeding line.  (I can send samples if it helps, and my
> full source code)
>
> I've tried all sorts of combinations, and other packages, but I'm
> quite happy with ledmac and would like to continuing using it.  I've
> taken a thorough look at djdpoems.tex and ledbraonain.tex for some
> examples, but they use the stanza macro.
>
> I just can't figure out how best to have it typeset lengthy sets of
> poetry (I suppose "irregular" stanzas).  I read in one post by Peter
> Wilson that ledmac is quite capable of handling such a setup, but for
> the life of me, I can't figure it out.  I'm surely missing something
> simple!  Any help?
>
> Much thanks,
>
> - Steve

     Have you looked at John Burt's poemscol package which is explicitly
for critical editions  of collections of poems?

Peter W.
0
peter
12/23/2009 2:20:31 AM
On 23 Dec, 02:20, peter wilson <herries.pr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> =A0 =A0 =A0Have you looked at John Burt's poemscol package which is expli=
citly
> for critical editions =A0of collections of poems?
>
> Peter W.

Yes, I have, but unfortunately it's just not as powerful/versatile for
textual notes, app crit, endnotes, "edindex" indexing, etc as ledmac
(which I really love!). And I find it a bit clumsier to use than
ledmac.  So I'm quite confirmed in sticking with ledmac.

To be honest, I don't think there is an elegant solution.  I have
dropped the verse package, and I have essentially turned a 800 line
"book" of epic poetry into  8x100 line "stanzas", no line breaks, and
continuous line numbering.  Everything is working really well and as
expected.  Problems will arise with parallel translations, but I'm not
concerned with exactly matching translations.

Would you have any good suggestions for a substitute latex parallel
package for facing pages other than ledpar?  (which I think is too
strict with matching sets of \stanza and \pstart).

Many thanks,

- Steve
0
Steve
12/24/2009 1:42:00 AM
I first wrote poemscol back in 1994 because I couldn't solve the
problem about counting only verse lines that you mention, and I
couldn't use edstanza to solve the problem either, again for the
reasons you mention. I originally planned to use edmac, the precursor
of ledmac, but John Lavagnino, who wrote edmac, couldn't solve the
problem then either, and suggested I try the approach I used in
poemscol.  But obviously John has since found a way to solve that
problem, since his and Gary Taylor's wonderful edition of the
Collected Plays of Thomas Middleton, which just won an important prize
from the MLA, would not have been possible without solving it. (John
was my student in the 1980s, I'm proud to say, but I learned a lot
more from him than I ever taught him.)

There are some things I am still proud of in poemscol. I like the
method it uses to mark occasions where there is a verse paragraph
break at a page turn.  I like the macros which keep the running
headers in the endnote sections updated with the page numbers to which
the notes refer ("Explanatory notes to pp. 47--52").  I think that
feature should be easy to import into ledmac, but I haven't had the
time to do it.  Poemscol does have some (at this point rather
rudimentary) macros for parallel text typesetting (since I'm working
on a parallel text edition now myself).  I expect those macros will
get better as I get further along in my edition. You can get some
sense of what poemscol can do from my edition of the Collected Poems
of Robert Penn Warren, which was written with version 1.0 of
poemscol.

It should be possible to rewrite the stanza environment in ledmac for
long passages without indents, but I haven't found the time to try it.
Have you thought about writing to John Lavagnino directly to ask him
how he solved this problem? He's a nice person, and I'm sure he'll
help you.

All best on your project!
John
0
John
12/24/2009 5:13:21 PM
On Dec 24, 5:13=A0pm, John Burt <johndb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I first wrote poemscol back in 1994 because I couldn't solve the
> problem about counting only verse lines that you mention, and I
> couldn't use edstanza to solve the problem either, again for the
> reasons you mention. I originally planned to use edmac, the precursor
> of ledmac, but John Lavagnino, who wrote edmac, couldn't solve the
> problem then either, and suggested I try the approach I used in
> poemscol. =A0But obviously John has since found a way to solve that
> problem, since his and Gary Taylor's wonderful edition of the
> Collected Plays of Thomas Middleton, which just won an important prize
> from the MLA, would not have been possible without solving it. (John
> was my student in the 1980s, I'm proud to say, but I learned a lot
> more from him than I ever taught him.)
>
> There are some things I am still proud of in poemscol. I like the
> method it uses to mark occasions where there is a verse paragraph
> break at a page turn. =A0I like the macros which keep the running
> headers in the endnote sections updated with the page numbers to which
> the notes refer ("Explanatory notes to pp. 47--52"). =A0I think that
> feature should be easy to import into ledmac, but I haven't had the
> time to do it. =A0Poemscol does have some (at this point rather
> rudimentary) macros for parallel text typesetting (since I'm working
> on a parallel text edition now myself). =A0I expect those macros will
> get better as I get further along in my edition. You can get some
> sense of what poemscol can do from my edition of the Collected Poems
> of Robert Penn Warren, which was written with version 1.0 of
> poemscol.
>
> It should be possible to rewrite the stanza environment in ledmac for
> long passages without indents, but I haven't found the time to try it.
> Have you thought about writing to John Lavagnino directly to ask him
> how he solved this problem? He's a nice person, and I'm sure he'll
> help you.
>
> All best on your project!
> John

I'll have to do a lot more reading before I think I would be capable
to rewrite the stanza environment.  At the moment, I'm still a dabbler
with LaTeX, and far from fluent in its syntax.  This is really the
first project I'm attempting to use it, and so far I'm very
impressed.

I have learned a lot from Dr. Dekker's examples supplied with ledmac
(they help immeasureably in understanding the ledmac documentation/
manual), and I learn even more by customising them to suit my own
needs.

I have also read through the poemscol documentation as well, but the
examples you supply, though clear, are fairly rudimentary. I've
explored your webpage in hopes of finding a few more examples (or
FAQs, like Dr. Dekker has), but CTAN has the whole package.  I do
admit poemscol is a very handy package, but for the work of creating a
rather cumbersome apparatus criticus, I will need to stick with
ledmac.  I was hoping that both ledmac and poemscol would be more
widely used by classicists, and I could view some sample work, but
alas...  At the moment, the ledmac package produces formatted text
closest to the "standard" with only simple adjustments.  Perhaps I
could import some macros from poemscol;  but I will need to look into
this in the future.

Thank you for your suggestion in contacting John;  I feel I need to do
some more study before contacting him.  I imagine most of my questions
could be answered if I spend a bit more time with the Latex manual.

Many thanks for your response!

- Steve
0
Steve

Add text to plot without overlaying text
I am generating many (500) plots automatically. Within each plot, I label several points with their values using the text command. Often the text labels overlap each other, so they can't be read. Is there a way to prevent this? I tried randomly adding offsets in y, but it does not prevent occasional overlapping of the text labels. Ideally the routine would look to see if other text labels were in the vicinity, then would offset a new label, perhaps drawing an arrow to the actual point. I couldn't find any treatment of overlapping labels in the user contributed file l...

stanza in ledmac
Dear ledmac users I am modeling my critical edition on example 7 in the Ledmac manual: ledbraonain. The lines of my stanzas are numbered a, b, c. But for some reason the line-numbers in my apparatus are numbered 1, 2, 3. In other words, if line b in stanza 2 has a variant, that variant will be given in the apparatus after 2.2. I want the number in the apparatus to be 2.b, i.e. to correspond to the way the line is numbered in the main text. Even when I run pdflatex on the file ledbraonain.tex, the numbers in the apparatus come out as 1.1, 1.3, 1.5, not as 1.a, 1.c, 1.e, as they do in the ...

Updating column in a text file without overwriting original text
I have a text file with both numbers and words and I want to select a specific numeric column and replace it with new numeric values. I want to replace the 6th column of: $$ $$ FORCE Data $$ FORCE 2 71153 01.0 0.0 0.00117 0.0 FORCE 2 71209 01.0 0.0 0.00179 0.0 FORCE 2 71268 01.0 0.0 0.00239 0.0 FORCE 2 71325 01.0 0.0 0.00296 0.0 FORCE 2 71676 01.0 0.0 0.00345 0.0 FORCE 2 71384 01.0 0.0 0.00383 0.0 FORCE ...

LaTeX w/ ledmac poetry & [gasp] shaped poetry
I'm trying to typeset some of George Herbert's poetry using ledmac and am stumped. (I'm pretty new to LaTeX.) For example, I need to achieve the following, while preferably still using line-numbers: A broken ALTAR, Lord, thy servant reares, Made of a heart, and cemented with teares: Whose parts are as thy hand did frame; No workmans tool hath touch'd the same. A HEART alone Is such a stone, As nothing but Thy pow'r doth cut. Wherefore each part ...

text-text

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

Carrying out a full-text search, but without the full-text search...
Hi everyone. I have a fairly simple question, but the answer is likely to be very complex. I would like to create a wiki that will allow full-text searches. However, as you know, full-text searches in a large database is very CPU intensive. I need to look into what options are available in the way of breaking everything down into keywords, and how I'd do it efficiently. I know that there is no definitive answer to my query, but I have no idea where to start looking. I would like to make my wiki very much like a small-scale search engine. Much like Google, but far, far smaller by compariso...

Newbie question = how to add text to a textarea without deleting the previous text.
Newbie question = how to add text to a textarea without deleting the previous text. i'm trying to add text to a text area when a link is clicked (to add<b><i> etc) without erasing the previously typed text. i'm using this, but unfortunately i don't know how to make this append the text rather than just chenge the text in the text area.(where comments is the textarea name. <A HREF="#" onClick="(document.forms[0].comments.value='<b></b>'); return false;" NAME="anchor1" ID="anchor1">select bold</A>...

XSLT Select nodes without text-node children whose names starts with specifix text

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly i...

Footnote text disappears if used inside \mbox...any suggestions on how to keep text together within a line without using \mbox?
Hello, At the end of a paragraph I have a footnote and the footnote doesn't fit in the last line (Latex puts it in the next line and it doesn't look ok a line with a single footnote number). I tried to solve the issue using mbox, but although the footnote number stays in the last line together with the last text of the paragraph, the footnote itself disappears from the text. The text: ....As a result, $W-eH-Z$, where $Z\sim U[\underline{Z},\bar{Z}]$. \footnote{Alternatively, blabla.} My solution (footnote text disappears): ....As a result, \mbox{$W-eH-Z$, where $Z\sim U[\underli...

eSword without the text
I've just gotten eSword running under Linux via WINe, and while the program is running nicely, it does not show any text anywhere. What's the likely problem, maybe the font it wants is missing? Could it be another issue with WINe? How do I get my text back? On Nov 4, 9:16 am, rgilb...@copper.net wrote: > I've just gotten eSword running under Linux via WINe, and while the > program is running nicely, it does not show any text anywhere. What's > the likely problem, maybe the font it wants is missing? Could it be > another issue with WINe? How do I get...

Text Without a Photo
I made some print layouts with my photos. I'd like to add some text boxes to identify who is in the photos, but can't figure out how to do it. I don't want the text to be part of the images. Can I do that? Thanks, Carol -- C and A Bredt (Remove X from To: address for private e-mail) Carol and Allen Bredt wrote: > I made some print layouts with my photos. I'd like to add some text boxes to > identify who is in the photos, but can't figure out how to do it. > > I don't want the text to be part of the images. Can I do that? > > Thanks, Carol usi...

Critical Editions with ledmac
Hi everybody I'm testing Kile and I'm trying to edit a multilingual Shakespearean text using ledmac/ledpar. I just wanted to know if it would be possible to include the first and line value of the lines of each page in the header/footer of the page by using the \fancyhdr package as a main references because I don't want to use conventional page references. Any idea/solution? thanks in advance jose ...

Web resources about - ledmac and critical epic poetry without stanzas - comp.text.tex

FBI Critical Incident Response Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
J. Edgar Hoover Building Northwest , Washington, D.C. The Critical Incident Response Group ( CIRG ) is a division of the Criminal, Cyber, Response, ...

Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google: 2016 will be critical for internet giants
Facebook, Amazon,&nbsp;Netflix&nbsp;and Google (sorry Alphabet):&nbsp;So popular were these stocks in 2015 that there was even an acronym for ...

5 dead, 2 critical in Canada school shooting
Northern Saskatchewan school in lockdown after shooting

Cisco fixes critical flaws in digital encoder, unified computing manager and security appliance
CIO Cisco fixes critical flaws in digital encoder, unified computing manager and security appliance CIO Cisco Systems has released software ...

IDG Contributor Network: 6 critical updates for January Patch Tuesday
Microsoft has started the year with a truly unusual Patch Tuesday. There are nine updates for January, with six rated as critical and the remaining ...

Cisco fixes critical flaws in digital encoder, unified computing manager and security appliance
CSO Online Cisco fixes critical flaws in digital encoder, unified computing manager and security appliance CSO Online Cisco Systems has released ...

Economic Recovery Leaves One Critical Industry Behind
'This loss was equal to about 14.3 percent of all jobs in the industry'

Get critical darling Her Story cheap in this week's Humble Bundle
Finally, we're learning about her story. Oh, wait, that's Her Story . Your classics degrees aren't worthless yet. One of 2015's surprise hits ...

Actor Alan Rickman, A Critical And Financial Success, Dies at 69
Alan Rickman leaves a diverse body of work that many actors can only dream of, both critically and financially. He was an internationally renowned ...

CM Punk Bashes Critical UFC Fans, Calls Them ‘Butt Hurt’
Former WWE World Heavyweight Champion CM Punk is certainly no stranger to controversy, and, at this point, Punk is probably the most controversial, ...