MiKTex+Beamer

Hello

I recently upgraded do MiKTeX 2.7 on a PC Windows XP with Adobe Reader
8.1.and the overlay feature of Beamer seems to be broken. Here is a
minimal example:

\documentclass{beamer}
\usepackage{amsmath,amssymb,amsfonts}
\usetheme{Madrid}
\usecolortheme{lily}
\begin{document}
\begin{frame}
\frametitle{A list}
\pause
 Some text ...
\begin{itemize}[<+->]
\item one;
\item two;
\item three;
\item four.
\end{itemize}
\end{frame}
\begin{frame}
\frametitle{Blabla}
Some text here ...
\begin{align*}
N  & =  (d_nd_{n-1} \ldots d_1d_0)_b \\ \pause
& = d_n  b^n + d_{n-1}  b^{n-1}  + \cdots + d_1  b^1 + d_0
\end{align*}
More text here ...
\end{frame}
\end{document}

The first frame works OK but the \pause commands in the second frame
do not produce thr desired effect. Before upgrading I had MiKTeX 2.5
and this example worked as expected.
Any help will be appreciated.

Heitor
0
hpina135 (1)

text-text

text + text

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

Beamer: hyphenate text
Is there a way to get the beamer package to hyphenate text, in paticular in a block? Dieter Kilsch ...

Pages

beamer text margin in notes
Bonjour, I use notes in beamer to have personal notes on slides but the default text width on the note slides is too large: part of words does not appear on the right. Is there a way to re-define the default text width for the notes? Thank you. Fran=E7ois Patte ...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter...

Beamer right align text
Hi all, I have some text in a beamer slide and at the bottom i have link "Back" which i would like to placed at the right end of the slide. This is how i did it \begin{columns} \column{0.8\textwidth} \column{0.2\textwidth} \hyperlink{disc}{\beamergotobutton{Go Back}} \end{columns} Is there some sort of alignment option which obviates the need for columns? Many thanks Saptarshi On Jul 24, 11:50 am, sapsi <saptarshi.g...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > I have some text in a beamer slide and at the bottom i have link > "Back" which i would like to placed at t...

Beamer: math characters in text
Hi, as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context, e.g., $\alphaup$-subunit (using the kp-fonts, but $\alpha$ gives the same problem). Then alpha is in math-color, rather than text-color. Of course one could change mathcolor, but that would also affect the display of math proper. It would also not work in other contexts, say, in \frametile. Any suggestions? Thanks Engelbert Am Samstag, den 13.08.2011, 09:05 -0400 schrieb Dr Engelbert Buxbaum:=20 > Hi, >=20 > as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context,=20 > e.g., $\alphaup$-subunit (using the kp-fonts, but $\alpha$ gives the=20 > same problem). Then alpha is in math-color, rather than text-color.=20 >=20 > Of course one could change mathcolor, but that would also affect the=20 > display of math proper. It would also not work in other contexts, say,= =20 > in \frametile. >=20 > Any suggestions? >=20 > Thanks >=20 > Engelbert Search for "textalpha" plus "LaTeX" http://de.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX-Kompendium:_Sonderzeichen: Im Herbst 2010 ist das Paket textgreek auf CTAN erschienen. Es stellt im normalen Text \textalpha sowie alle anderen Griechischen Zeichen bereit (auch Gro=C3=9Fbuchstaben, \textPi), wechseln in den Mathemodus ist nicht notwendig. I did not test that. Bernhard On 2011-08-13, Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote: > as scientist I often use Greek letters in a non-mathematical context, > ...

Strike out a text in beamer in overlay
I was wondering whether it would be possible to strike out a text in beamer in overlay. An example is shown here. \begin{itemize} \item I \item We\pause \item They \item You\pause \end{itemize} Now, the last two items are shown in normal font, and then at next mouse click, they get struck out. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Regards. MMasroorAli schrieb: > I was wondering whether it would be possible to strike out a text > in beamer in overlay. > > An example is shown here. > > \begin{itemize} > \item I > \item We\pause > \item They > \item You\pause > \end{itemize} > > Now, the last two items are shown in normal font, and then at next > mouse click, they get struck out. > > Any suggestion will be appreciated. > > Regards. > Have a look at soul.sty, you may find an example on my homepage: <http://www.uweziegenhagen.de/latex/templates.php?latex=1> Uwe On Oct 25, 10:24 pm, Uwe Ziegenhagen <newsgr...@ziegenhagen.info> wrote: > MMasroorAli schrieb: > > > > > I was wondering whether it would be possible to strike out a text > > in beamer in overlay. > > > An example is shown here. > > > \begin{itemize} > > \item I > > \item We\pause > > \item They > > \item You\pause > > \end{itemize} > > > Now, the last two items are shown in normal font, and then at next > > mouse click, they get struck out. > > >...

text 2 text

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Converting pain text to TeX
Hi, I am trying to convert a plain text file to TeX format. For this I wrote a awk script to convert double quotes to the correct type in TeX, as in #!/usr/bin/awk -f # DQ2TQ : Converts double qoutes in plaint text file to TeX format # USAGE # dq2tq filename > newfilename BEGIN { count = 0 } /"/ { for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) {if (count % 2 == 0) {sub(/"/,"``",$i);count++} else {sub(/"/,"''",$i);count++}} } { print } However this does not seem to work right. Given the following input : " " " " &...

Type-written text to TeX?
Slightly OT, but I have several hundred pages of typewritten material already scanned in. (I just have a PDF file with one image per page.) There is a small amount of maths in it, but not much. Can anyone advise me of a good OCR program to use? I'd prefer a Linux program, but am not religious. I tried gocr, which was useless, and am presently trying clara, which looks as though it might work, although it seems to require several degrees in Computer Science to understand and use. Also, is there a program to abstract the images from the PDF file? I've written a little Java program to ...

beamer: bare text is greyed out
I have a set of beamer slides, where mysteriously, some text that is written as just plain or bare text, outside of an itemize or other enclosing context appears greyed out on the slides. Environment: I'm using pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2, with beamer 2005/10/23 cvs version 3.06 on debian linux/stable, from the tetex distribution An example is the slide at http://euclid.psych.yorku.ca/SCS/Gallery/Test/AARMS29-bad.jpg produced from the following, where the figure caption "Ideas behind ..." is greyed out. \begin{frame} \frametitle{HE plots: Visualizing \mat{H} and \mat{E} (co) variation} \begin{center} \includegraphics[width=.85\textwidth,clip]{fig/arcmanov1} \\ Ideas behind multivariate tests: (a) Data ellipses; (b) \H and \E matrices \end{center} \begin{itemize*} \item \mat{H} ellipse: data ellipse for fitted values, $\hat{\vec{y}}_{ij} = \bar{\vec{y}}_j$. \item \mat{E} ellipse: data ellipse of residuals, $\hat{\vec{y}}_{ij} - \bar{\vec{y}}_j$. \end{itemize*} \end{frame} There are many other examples where this occurs, even if I just have some plain text ("Here you can see:") before an itemized list, Here you can see: \begin{itemize} \item{First thing} \item{Second thing} \end{itemize} but it seems *not* to occur if a color is specified somewhere in the text. E.g., the text appears properly if I use \black{} \begin{center} \includegraphics[width=.85\textwidth,clip]{fig/arcmanov1} \\ \black{Ideas...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

MiKTeX portable and tex capacity exceeded
Hi, using MiKTeX /portable/ version I need to enlarge tex capacity. I typed initexmf --edit-config-file=pdflatex but it seems, there is only one config file, that is managed by MiKTeX. It is possible to have a user-specific version of the config file in parallel? Can I copy the original file and put it into the project folder (beside the tex-file)? Thanks for any help! Henning Am Tue, 16 Dec 2014 23:29:39 +0100 schrieb Henning Haida: > Hi, > > using MiKTeX /portable/ version I need to enlarge tex capacity. I typed > > initexmf --edit-...

Beamer: sync notes with text appearance?
Is there a way to make sure that the \note appear in sync with the \item, e.g. \begin{itemize}[<+->] \item item one \note{note one\\} \item item two \note{note two\\} \end{itemized} The default behaviour is to show all the notes on the note screen at once. Is it possible to make note one appear with item one etc.? //Petter -- ..sig removed by request. On Sep 10, 5:55=A0pm, Petter Gustad <newsmailco...@gustad.com> wrote: > Is there a way to make sure that the \note appear in sync with the > \item, e.g. > > =A0 \begin{itemize}[<+->] > =A0 \item item one > =A0 \note{note one\\} > =A0 \item item two > =A0 \note{note two\\} > =A0 \end{itemized} > > The default behaviour is to show all the notes on the note screen at > once. Is it possible to make note one appear with item one etc.? Have you tried \onslide<1>{\note{note 1}}? Admittedly, this is not ideal but it's the only thing I can think of. I don't have a dual screen. I don't know how to test this solution. Regards, Marc van Dongen Marc van Dongen <dongen@cs.ucc.ie> writes: > On Sep 10, 5:55 pm, Petter Gustad <newsmailco...@gustad.com> wrote: > >> Is there a way to make sure that the \note appear in sync with the >> \item, e.g. >> >>   \begin{itemize}[<+->] >>   \item item one >>   \note{note one\\} >>   \item item two >>   \note{...

beamer technical examples with .tex source?
I've started to try to switch from seminar to the beamer package, but I'm finding it hard to learn how to take full advantage of its features, particularly for setting figures and tables in more interesting ways. The Beamer User's Guide, at 200+ pages contains many examples but is somewhat overwhelming and doesn't contain the sort of things I'm looking for. The closest I've found to what I'm looking for is Ki Joo Kim's Beamer Guides http://www.geocities.com/kijoo2000/beamer.html which gives quite a few interesting examples, but I'd like to see the entire la...

Beamer hyperlinks
Hi, I am using Beamer with the theme "default". For the following code see \hyperlink{proof}{\beamergotobutton{appendix}} for proof. The word "appendix" is placed in shaded background (rounded rectangle) which is so placed the baseline of appendix is slightly higher than the surrounding words. Q: Is there a way to adjust this yet preserving the nice background rectangle? Or do I have to forgo the rectangle? Thank you for your time Rgds Saptarshi On Jul 24, 11:48 am, sapsi <saptarshi.g...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > I am using Beamer with the theme "defa...

beamer making text too vertically compressed
Hello. I am using beamer, and one of my frames uses nested itemized lists, along the lines of... \begin{itemize} \item xxx \item xxx \begin{itemize} \item xxx \item xxx \end{itemize} \item xxx \end{itemize} I have noticed that however beamer seems to do its auto-sizing...it's shrinking everything a little more than necessary. The slide would be much more readable if there were more vertical space between the items. Maybe the fonts could even be a touch bigger. As it is, there is lots of unused white space at the top and bottom of the slide. Short of hardcoding in some \vspace commands, is there a simple way to get beamer to do less scrunching, at least just for this frame? Thank you for your help. Alan ...

combined text-base for beamer and powerpoint
dear latex experts---I had already asked something similar in 2009, but never figured out how to do this. background---I have written a more-or-less free finance textbook, at http://book.ivo-welch.info/ . to induce other professors to adopt the book, I need to provide slides (with formulas [square-roots, fractions, but nothing higher math] and pdf images) that these professors can then manipulate (customize) further. their customizations are forks that do not need to be folded back into my main text-base. about 1/5 of my audience uses latex beamer (like myself), about 4/5 can only use a WYSIWYG program (either powerpoint or something with a very low learning curve--is there a WYSIWYG program with a low learning curve that can do basic math?). [scientific workplace is not a WYSIWYG program!] yes, it is not possible to convince many of these adoptees to use latex. I have tried and failed. now, a big problem is that modestly simple math (fractions and square- roots) must be manipulable in both beamer and powerpoint. so, translation of math into images does not work, because it makes customization impossible. in fact, I have not yet found out how to author simple math in powerpoint---I am not a powerpoint expert. I only picked it up for this need of my audience. my preference would be to author the basic slides in a clearly defined subset of beamer if there is a clean translation program that can create from these slides a set of .ppt files. I would also be willing t...

Styling (sub)item text in Beamer
Hi, I noticed a while ago that Beamer provides template and color customisation styles for itemize environments, including nested itemize. It would be very useful to be able to make the top level items bolder than their subsidiaries, so this initially looked like exactly what I need. However, the customisation only seems to apply to the bullet point rather than the text that follows it: \setbeamercolor{itemize subitem}{fg=red!80!white} \setbeamertemplate{itemize subitem}[triangle] Is there a similar mechanism for customising the (sub)item text? I couldn't find anything in the manual or by searching the Web/this group. Thanks! Andy On Jul 10, 8:01=A0pm, Andy Buckley <a...@insectnation.org> wrote: > Hi, > > I noticed a while ago that Beamer provides template and color > customisation styles for itemize environments, including nested > itemize. It would be very useful to be able to make the top level > items bolder than their subsidiaries, so this initially looked like > exactly what I need. However, the customisation only seems to apply to > the bullet point rather than the text that follows it: > > \setbeamercolor{itemize subitem}{fg=3Dred!80!white} > \setbeamertemplate{itemize subitem}[triangle] > > Is there a similar mechanism for customising the (sub)item text? I > couldn't find anything in the manual or by searching the Web/this > group. Thanks! > You could try modifying the 'itemize/enumerate body'...

Web resources about - MiKTex+Beamer - comp.text.tex