Original Plain TeX Fonts using LaTeX's \DeclareFixedFont Command

Hi,

I'd like to use the computer modern, bold-extended, slanted 10-point
font (cmbxsl10) in a style file. I'd like to use \DeclareFixedFont to
do it since I want to ensure that the font family, shape, etc., doesn't
change with the enclosing environment, but when I attempt, e.g.,

  \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{TS1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt}

I get the message

  LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults substituted.

and the desired font is not selected. However, if I use the plain TeX command

  \font\myfont=cmbxsl10

then I get the proper font (in a LaTeX document).

Have I got the wrong idea in applying the \DeclareFixedFont command? Am I
using the command incorrectly?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool -
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..."

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use the computer modern, bold-extended, slanted 10-point
> font (cmbxsl10) in a style file. I'd like to use \DeclareFixedFont to
> do it since I want to ensure that the font family, shape, etc., doesn't
> change with the enclosing environment, but when I attempt, e.g.,
>
>   \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{TS1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt}

Sorry, that should be

   \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt}

i.e., I believe this is the right encoding, but I still get the stated error.

> I get the message
>
>   LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults substituted.

--RY

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  is say I'm sorry,
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
7/1/2005 1:48:58 AM
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org>  schrieb:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to use the computer modern, bold-extended, slanted 10-point
>> font (cmbxsl10) in a style file. I'd like to use \DeclareFixedFont to
>> do it since I want to ensure that the font family, shape, etc.,
>> doesn't change with the enclosing environment, but when I attempt,

>    \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt}
>
> i.e., I believe this is the right encoding, but I still get the stated
> error.
>
>> I get the message
>>
>>   LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults
>>   substituted.

LaTeX is looking for a font with familyname cmbxsl10. This family
doesn't exist. Your font is part of the cmr family.

Use:

\DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmr}{bx}{sl}{10pt}

But I would suggest to use T1 encoding,

\DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{T1}{cmr}{bx}{sl}{10pt}

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

>    \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt}

Since when is "cmbxsl10" a font family?  Since when is medium, normal
the same as bold slanted?

\DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmr}{bx}{sl}{10pt}

--
Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0

Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org>  schrieb:
>
> > Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'd like to use the computer modern, bold-extended, slanted 10-point
> >> font (cmbxsl10) in a style file. I'd like to use \DeclareFixedFont to
> >> do it since I want to ensure that the font family, shape, etc.,
> >> doesn't change with the enclosing environment, but when I attempt,
>
> >    \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt}
> >
> > i.e., I believe this is the right encoding, but I still get the stated
> > error.
> >
> >> I get the message
> >>
> >>   LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults
> >>   substituted.
>
> LaTeX is looking for a font with familyname cmbxsl10. This family
> doesn't exist. Your font is part of the cmr family.
>
> Use:
>
> \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmr}{bx}{sl}{10pt}
>
> But I would suggest to use T1 encoding,
>
> \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{T1}{cmr}{bx}{sl}{10pt}

But that would select the font ecbl1000, not cmbxsl10 as was
specifically requested.

If one really wants a particular font, with no changes in attributes or
size, you can't beat \font for conciseness.

Dan

0
luecking (1319)
7/1/2005 7:19:22 PM
Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> writes:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>
>>    \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt}
>
> Since when is "cmbxsl10" a font family?  Since when is medium, normal
> the same as bold slanted?

Since when is LaTeX's font selection to font file mapping scheme obvious?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Rollin' and riding and slippin' and
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  sliding, it's magic."
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
7/2/2005 4:13:59 PM
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> Donald Arseneau <asnd@triumf.ca> writes:
>
> > Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
> >
> >>    \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{OT1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt}
> >
> > Since when is "cmbxsl10" a font family?  Since when is medium, normal
> > the same as bold slanted?
>
> Since when is LaTeX's font selection to font file mapping scheme obvious?

It is not obvious, but not strange to that extent.

I would also recommend using \font rather than \DeclareFixedFont.

(Quiz: it is \sfshape, \sfseries, or \sffamily?)

--
Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0
asnd (4601)
7/2/2005 10:16:10 PM
Randy Yates wrote:
> Since when is LaTeX's font selection to font file mapping scheme obvious?

When in doubt, you can always look in the font definition file. It's
important to realise that \DeclareFixedFont will only select a font
that LaTeX knows about, and you have to follow the conventions of the
definition of the font in LaTeX. (And always re-read fntguide.pdf.)

In your case, ot1cmr.fd contains the following line:
   \DeclareFontShape{OT1}{cmr}{bx}{sl}
So you just needed to copy that and add on the 10pt part.

As others have said, however, often in these cases it would be easy to
just type
   \font\myfont="cmbxsl10" at 10pt

Donald Arseneau wrote:
> (Quiz: it is \sfshape, \sfseries, or \sffamily?)

That's easy!
Separate families can be totally unrelated, italics are often of
totally different shape to upright, and the only one left is series :)

This might just be familiarity through use speaking, though.

Will Robertson

0
will743 (209)

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

latex '\.' tex '_'
Dear all, I have a statement de_rm, d means derivate, rm is a subscript. I have the folowing problem, when I use: legend('e_rm','Interpreter','tex') is good for subscript, legend('\.e','Interpreter','latex') is good for derivate. But how can use this two things together? Gergo Nyiro wrote: > Dear all, > > I have a statement de_rm, d means derivate, rm is a subscript. I > have the folowing problem, when I use: > legend('e_rm','Interpreter','tex') is good for subscript, > legend('\.e','Interp...

How to create PDFs with a 'similar-enough' font embedded if the original document's font license does forbid embedding?
My questions follow below; here are my facts first: 0. I'm using a customer-owned MS Windows Vista notebook during calls on-site (my own one has no permission to be plugged into the network there) with MS Office 2007 as well as Acrobat Professional 9.1.2 installed. 1. I have gotten a Word 2007 document, composed entirely of text formatted with a font "LucidaSans" (plus variations: *-italic, *-bold, *-bolditalic). 2. BTW, I don't know *how* Word originally found the LucidaSans font -- it's not by default installed in %windir%\fonts. However, it's available in "...

Now it's Tex Murphy's turn at Kickstarter
One of the series creators (and the person who played the role) Chris Jones has announced that the next Tex Murphy game will try to use Kickstarter for funding ".... we hope to bring the next Tex Murphy game to an a much bigger, dare I say, epic level - More actors, locations, broader stories and yes - even meaningful, varied story paths. With these elements, we have a better chance of expanding the audience and a better chance of commercial success and continuation. All of this would allow us to make a true Adventure game with Immersive 3D world, Full Motion Video, and l...

utility to combine a .tex with several \input's into one .tex?
I usually store various parts of my header in a common location and then refer to them with \input commands for individual documents. (I imagine most people do this too? Or is there a better way?) The problem is sometimes I want to send someone a .tex file and with this system it means either sending several .tex files or manually replacing the \input commands with their contents. This seems like it should be a common task...anyone know of any scripts around that automate this? Thanks! Possibly http://www.ctan.org/pkg/latexexpand ? Jim On Mar 4, 10:47 am, Jim <jim.heffe......

what's the meaning of plain text file's executable attribute
Q1: a plain text file name aa.txt /home/apple/study/note $ ls -l aa.txt -rwxrwxrwx 1 apple apple 42 Feb 28 20:02 aa.txt My question is what's the meaningof a plain 's executable attribute ,it is "x" bit. as I know,a plain text file can't be executed. only the executable file ,such as /usr/bin/xpdf should have the attribute of 'x'. so there is no meaning for the plain text file to have the 'x' attribute,is it right? Q2: what's the difference between interrupt and trap. what I know is that interrupt include software interrupt and hardwar...

Table.TeX in Plain TeX
Dear all Normally we use the "Table.TeX" for aligning and formatting Tables in Plain TeX. Unfortunately I don't have the "Table.TeX". Can any one supply this or give any ideas of where it can be found. Thanks and Regards Saravanan,M. India Saravanan_Typesetter@yahoo.co.in (Saravanan,M.) writes: >Normally we use the "Table.TeX" for aligning and formatting Tables in >Plain TeX. Unfortunately I don't have the "Table.TeX". i suspect you may be thinking of tables.tex (plural tables). that is available on ctan, together with some documentation: 1992/08/27 | 27040 | macros/plain/contrib/tabledoc.tex 1992/08/27 | 12539 | macros/plain/contrib/tables.tex -- Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Robin Fairbairns wrote: > Saravanan_Typesetter@yahoo.co.in (Saravanan,M.) writes: > >Normally we use the "Table.TeX" for aligning and formatting Tables in > >Plain TeX. Unfortunately I don't have the "Table.TeX". What macros are used in your documents? > i suspect you may be thinking of tables.tex (plural tables). that is > available on ctan, together with some documentation: > > 1992/08/27 | 27040 | macros/plain/contrib/tabledoc.tex > 1992/08/27 | 12539 | macros/plain/contrib/tables.tex Or maybe Michael Wichura's ca 1988 TaBlE package, which is commercial and can be obtained from http://www.pctex.com/ and others....

I want to build the original Knuth's TeX
Any one has idea or experience of build the original Kuth's TeX system. I have download the files in catan, /system/knuth. But I do not know how to build it. I tried the makefiles it contains, but they all work into errors. Any one can help me? I am reading the Knuth's book, TeX: the program. And just want to try his own TeX, the only one in the world has the name "TeX" excatly. "zhouyan1014@gmail.com" <zhouyan1014@gmail.com> writes: > Any one has idea or experience of build the original Kuth's TeX > system. I have download the files in catan, /system/knuth. But I do > not know how to build it. I tried the makefiles it contains, but they > all work into errors. Any one can help me? First you would need to get a Pascal/H compiler. > I am reading the Knuth's book, TeX: the program. And just want to > try his own TeX, the only one in the world has the name "TeX" > excatly. There are dozens of different such implementations, and Knuth has set out the terms when an implementation may be called TeX. He himself uses a web2c compilation IIRC (and kpathsea obviously adds quite a bit of stuff). TeX distributions usually offer under the name "tex" an executable and format that is, at the Pascal and format level, as Knuth as humanly possible. -- David Kastrup zhouyan1014@gmail.com wrote: > Any one has idea or experience of build the original Kuth's TeX > system. I have download the fi...

spanish plain tex's accents and hyphenation rules
Hi, I've been looking for info on how to to setup spanish accents and hyphenation rules from within plain tex. After all, including reading babel's documentation (and a spanish dtx file I latex'ed), I'm even more confused. I've installed some fonts from adobe font folio, which I'd like to use to publish. I've got them working properly (I can see accents, hyphenation working properly, either within xdvi, pdf and postscript, when I do it through latex). A `tex testfont my_font', gives me a "normal map", where I can see the accent symbol appearing on the table, and no boxes with missing fonts o so. Even within tex, I can see accents with the default fonts, but not with the ones I've installed. After a few hours looking for this, I haven't found any tutorial or howto or anything similar, what I could find hasn't been of much help, maybe because I'm not an expert. About babel's docs, I don't really understand whether I should be copying the code seen on it regarding plain tex users into a sty or tex file, or how has it have to be mixed with the fmt file or what procedure actually is, but I'm sure (or I believe) it would be similar no matter what language we're talking about (not english). Have seen a post, where someone said to do this regarding hypenation: `tex -fmt=file file.tex'. But it seems like tex -ini and -fmt options cannot go together, nor if I setup a link from tex to initex. And If I...

Plain TeX's "$$" does not work properly?
Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book makes this statement in the very last appendix of the book, "Using Plain TeX Commands." I've been using them and they seem to work just fine. What is the problem with them? -- Randy Yates Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications Research Triangle Park, NC, USA randy.yates@sonyericsson.com, 919-472-1124 Randy Yates wrote: > Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book makes this statement in the very last > appendix of the book, "Using Plain TeX Commands." > > I've been using them and they seem to work just fine. What is the > problem with them? In german we have a documentation called l2tabu.pdf (what you should never/not do in Latex and why). You could check if there is a translation into english available. This article explains your issue (and lots of other similar things) Matthias Lars Madsen <daleif@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> writes: > On Wed, 19 May 2004 23:16:58 +0200, Matthias Pospiech > <matthiasPUNKTpospiech@gmx.de> wrote: > > > > Randy Yates wrote: > > > >> Leslie Lamport's LaTeX book makes this statement in the very last > >> appendix of the book, "Using Plain TeX Commands." > >> > >> I've been using them and they seem to work just fine. What is the > >> problem with them? > > > > In german we have a documentation called l2tabu.pdf (what you should > > never/not do in Latex and why). You...

Linux's console text mode make video card's fan spin up and use more power?
Hello! I noticed most of the times my old NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT video card's fan is quiet in KDE v3.5.10 with Compiz. When I exit out of X (used startx to start X.org) to text mode console, my fan will spin up louder and according to my old APC UPS, more power is used: Before "startx" command: APC : 001,037,0905 DATE : 2011-06-22 20:19:49 -0700 HOSTNAME : MyBox VERSION : 3.14.8 (16 January 2010) debian UPSNAME : MyBox CABLE : USB Cable MODEL : Back-UPS RS 1500 UPSMODE : Stand Alone STARTTIME: 2011-06-14 20:44:35 -0700 STATUS : ONLINE LINEV : 115.0 Volts LOADPCT : 20.0 Percent Load Capacity BCHARGE : 100.0 Percent TIMELEFT : 44.5 Minutes MBATTCHG : 5 Percent MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes MAXTIME : 0 Seconds SENSE : High LOTRANS : 097.0 Volts HITRANS : 138.0 Volts ALARMDEL : Always BATTV : 26.8 Volts LASTXFER : Low line voltage NUMXFERS : 0 TONBATT : 0 seconds CUMONBATT: 0 seconds XOFFBATT : N/A SELFTEST : NO STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag MANDATE : 2005-03-16 SERIALNO : QB0[deleted] BATTDATE : 2005-03-16 NOMINV : 120 Volts NOMBATTV : 24.0 Volts NOMPOWER : 865 Watts FIRMWARE : 8.g8 .D USB FW:g8 APCMODEL : Back-UPS RS 1500 END APC : 2011-06-22 20:20:22 -0700 After startx command is run and KDE v3.5.10 desktop with Compiz is up and idling: APC : 001,037,0905 DATE : 2011-06-22 20:20:49 -0700 HOSTNAME : MyBox VERSION : 3.14.8 (16 January 2010) debian UPSNAME : MyBox CABLE : USB Cable MODEL : Back-UPS RS 1500...

Prob's using Albert Kallal's SetDefaultPrinter on some OS's
I'm using Albert Kallall's code to set printers in A97. I find that on some machines, the code locks up and on others, it does not. I would like to overcome this and was wondering about the experiences of others who attempt to set default printer in A97? I have an app running on an XP home edition box fine. Same app running on XP Professional fails when SetDefaultPrinter() is called. I can post more of the code, which may be found at http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal/msaccess/printch97.zip but I did not wish to clutter the post with too much that may distract from the question...

Is it possible to use a for loop in LaTeX/TeX to define a sequence of new commands \bfa \bfb \bfc bfd bfe....
I have a list of definitions, Is it possible to use a for loop in LaTeX/TeX to define all these new commands \newcommand{\bfa}{\bm{a}} \newcommand{\bfb}{\bm{b}} \newcommand{\bfc}{\bm{c}} \newcommand{\bfd}{\bm{d}} \newcommand{\bfe}{\bm{e}} \newcommand{\bff}{\bm{f}} \newcommand{\bfg}{\bm{g}} \newcommand{\bfh}{\bm{h}} \newcommand{\bfi}{\bm{i}} \newcommand{\bfj}{\bm{j}} \newcommand{\bfk}{\bm{k}} \newcommand{\bfl}{\bm{l}} \newcommand{\bfn}{\bm{n}} \newcommand{\bfm}{\bm{m}} \newcommand{\bfo}{\bm{o}} \newcommand{\bfp}{\bm{p}} \newcommand{\bfq}{\bm{q}} \newcommand{\bfr}{\bm{r}} \newcommand{\bfs}{\bm{s}} \newcommand{\bft}{\bm{t}} \newcommand{\bfu}{\bm{u}} \newcommand{\bfv}{\bm{v}} \newcommand{\bfw}{\bm{w}} \newcommand{\bfx}{\bm{x}} \newcommand{\bfy}{\bm{y}} \newcommand{\bfz}{\bm{z}} On Oct 16, 11:00=A0pm, Sean <guo.xiaoy...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a list of definitions, Is it possible to use a for loop in > LaTeX/TeX to define all these new commands > > \newcommand{\bfa}{\bm{a}} > \newcommand{\bfb}{\bm{b}} > \newcommand{\bfc}{\bm{c}} > \newcommand{\bfd}{\bm{d}} > \newcommand{\bfe}{\bm{e}} > \newcommand{\bff}{\bm{f}} > \newcommand{\bfg}{\bm{g}} > \newcommand{\bfh}{\bm{h}} > \newcommand{\bfi}{\bm{i}} > \newcommand{\bfj}{\bm{j}} > \newcommand{\bfk}{\bm{k}} > \newcommand{\bfl}{\bm{l}} > \newcommand{\bfn}{\bm{n}} > \newcommand{\bfm}{\bm{m}} > \newcommand{\bfo}{\bm{o}} > \newcommand{\bfp}{\bm{p}} > \newcommand{\bfq}{\bm...

Plain TeX in LaTeX
I was recently told by someone fairly knowledgeable about TeX and LaTeX that, in LateX, one can turn off LaTeX and get it to behave just like Plain TeX. If this is true, how is it done? This is my last posting from the email address below because the machine on which my account resides is being decommissioned. It may be some time before I post to USENET newsgroups again, but I will still be able to read replies via dejanews in the meantime. -- Ignorantly, Allan Adler <ara@zurich.csail.mit.edu> * Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions and * comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near Boston. On 11-04-2008 6:32, Allan Adler wrote: > I was recently told by someone fairly knowledgeable about TeX and LaTeX > that, in LateX, one can turn off LaTeX and get it to behave just like > Plain TeX. If this is true, how is it done? This is not true. Several Plain TeX commands are not defined by LaTeX. Best regards, Jose Carlos Santos Allan Adler <ara@nestle.csail.mit.edu> writes: > I was recently told by someone fairly knowledgeable about TeX and LaTeX > that, in LateX, one can turn off LaTeX and get it to behave just like > Plain TeX. If this is true, how is it done? \usepackage{plain} and wrap your plain TeX passages into the ``plain'' environment. -- David Kastrup On Apr 11, 9:55 am, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote: > Allan Adler <a...@nestle.csail.mit.edu> write...

Fonts in plain TeX?
Dear All, I'm fairly new to TeX, and I'm trying to typeset a plain TeX document in Palatino (rpplr, etc). I've had some success, but no ligature substitution appears to be occurring: for example "---" appears as three hyphens rather than an mdash. Unfortunately, most of the documentation I can find refers to using fonts from LaTeX documents, but I'm not using LaTeX. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should it help, I'm using pdfTeX in the tetex distribution. Thanks in advance, Jake > I've had some success, but no ligature substitution appears to be > occurring: for example "---" appears as three hyphens rather than an > mdash. The following test correctly gave an emdash, also using pdftex (on Ubuntu 7.04 with Debian texlive 2007 pkgs, which provide pdftex 1.40.3). I use the \palatino definition below whenver I have a text document -- i.e. not with math -- that I want to look pleasant. \def\palatino{\font\prm=pplr7t% \font\pit=pplri7t% \font\pbf=pplb7t% \font\pbfit=pplbi7t% \font\bigbf=pplb7t at 12pt% \font\bigrm=pplr7t at 12pt% \let\it=\pit% \let\rm=\prm% \let\bf=\pbf% \let\sl=\psl% \rm} \palatino a---b \end -Sanjoy `Intellectual property is intellectual theft.' Jake Waskett <chilliesmad@hotmail.com> wrote: : Dear All, : I'm fairly new to TeX, and I'm trying to typeset a plain TeX document in : Palatino (rpplr, etc). I've had some success, but no ligature substitution : appear...

'Because It's There': Commandeering a G.P.S. Navigator
By SANDEEP JUNNARKAR RAY AND ELNA KAWAL hit the open road this fall on an 8,000-mile trip in their 2002 Chevy Tahoe with General Motors' OnStar navigation system serving as their North Star. From their home in Sequim, Wash., across to Denver and Chicago, down to Mexico and then homeward through Arizona and California, the Kawals followed directions to tourist destinations, hotels and their friends' homes using OnStar's Global Positioning System navigation - just the kind of business G.M. covets for its subscription service. But in this case, the automaker didn't make a penny from the six-week excursion. That's because Mr. Kawal, a 57-year-old retired engineer, had pried the OnStar unit from behind the glove compartment and customized it to work with his laptop and commercially available mapping software. His wife read him directions right off the laptop that sat between them. The modified unit was no longer connected to the OnStar network, over which representatives could have provided the same service for a fee. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/18/technology/circuits/18star.html ...

Change uitable's panel's + column header's background color and font color
Hello, if I change the property like set(hTable, 'backgroundcolor', [1 1 1], ... 'foregroundcolor', [0 0 0] ... ); If the table is not fully filled, then background's panel color remains bright unchanged. :( Also the rows number and column title areas remains not influrenced. Does anyone know how to change this in a way? Maybe java? Thanks "Song" wrote in message <luipo7$3vv$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Hello, if I change the property like > > set(hTable, 'backgroundcolor', [1 1 ...

Using 'put' command to place text in figures
If I try to use the 'put' command within a 'figure' environment - for example, \begin{figure} : : (stuff) : \put(20,20){text} \end{figure} then I get an 'Undefined control sequence' error at some other (seemingly random) line number when I compile. Any ideas why this is? Thanks for any help preston.simon@gmail.com wrote: > If I try to use the 'put' command within a 'figure' environment - for > example, > \begin{figure} > : > : (stuff) > : > \put(20,20){text} > \end{figure} > > then I get an 'Undefined control sequence' error at some other > (seemingly random) line number when I compile. Any ideas why this is? If you can't send a minimal example, please at least send an extract from the log file. You don't even tell us what the undefined control sequence is. Maybe it is a typo, one of yours, in <stuff>. Hope this helps. -- Jonathan <preston.simon@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1127926863.534676.55970@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > If I try to use the 'put' command within a 'figure' environment - for > example, > \begin{figure} > : > : (stuff) > : > \put(20,20){text} > \end{figure} > > then I get an 'Undefined control sequence' error at some other > (seemingly random) line number when I compile. Any ideas why this is? > The \put command has to be inside a picture environment. Peter W. Pe...

Old version of plain.tex and hyphen.tex
Hello All, I am trying to recreate an old version of our software that assumes an old version of Knuth's plain.tex (together with the version of hyphen.tex that accompanied it). I have searched the Internet for plain.tex Version 3.1415926 (together with hyphen.tex) with no success. Does anyone have a copy of these two files that they could email back to me? With great appreciation in advance! Brian O'Toole On Jul 2, 5:01 pm, "Brian O'Toole" <boto...@mathworks.com> wrote: > Hello All, > > I am trying to recreate an old version of our software that assumes an old > version of Knuth's plain.tex (together with the version of hyphen.tex that > accompanied it). I have searched the Internet for plain.tex Version > 3.1415926 (together with hyphen.tex) with no success. Does anyone have a > copy of these two files that they could email back to me? > > With great appreciation in advance! > Brian O'Toole TeXLive 7 (2002) has that version. If you can't get a copy of that CD, email me and I can send you the necessary files. Dan ...

Using border.tex on an existing tex document
Hi I'm trying to use border.tex from the TeX archive to apply a border around = a page (http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/border.html). At the moment, as soon as I switch on borders using \borderson, the border = appears but all of my content disappears. Without \borderson the page conte= nt renders as expected (though of course, no border!). I've tried fiddling = with the page dimensions etc but I'm not entirely convinced thats whats cau= sing it. The border.tex macro looks like it should do exactly what I want, = apart from the missing content ;( The original tex content was generated using OpenJade ("openjade" version "= 1.3.2", "OpenSP" version "1.5") to convert from DocBook (v4.5) SGML/DSSSL i= f that makes any difference. The problem we have is DocBook/OpenJade/SGML/D= SSSL doesn't provide a way to wrap an entire page with a border (the best I= can do is wrap the page content in a border meaning headers and footers ge= t their own disjointed borders). I'm processing the tex file using pdfjadetex (pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-= 1.10b, kpathsea version 3.4.5) Thanks in advance :) Ian ikent@companieshouse.gov.uk wrote: > I'm trying to use border.tex from the TeX archive to apply a border around a page (http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/border.html). > > At the moment, as soon as I switch on borders using \borderson, the border appears Except that border.tex % border.tex: Macros...

Using Beamer's font even when siunitx and formulae are used

question about a command like 'goto ' in Python's bytecode or it's just a compiler optimization?
My Python version is 2.5.2; When I reading the bytecode of some pyc file, I always found that there are many jump command from different position,but to the same position. You can see this situation in following code(this bytecode is just from one .pyc file and I don't have its source .py file): ...... 526 POP_TOP '' 527 LOAD_FAST 'imeHandle' 530 LOAD_ATTR 'isCnInput' 533 CALL_FUNCTION_0 '' 536 JUMP_IF_FALSE '574' 539 POP_TOP '' 540 LOAD_FAST 'GUIDefine' 543 LOAD_ATTR 'Can...

Nvidia's 'NV60' (GT300) apparently uses MIMD architecture to take on Intel's Larrabee and any other challenger
Rumour: Nvidia GT300 architecture revealed Author: Ben Hardwidge Published: 23rd April 2009 How do you follow a GPU architecture such as Nvidia's original G80? Possibly by moving to a completely new MIMD GPU architecture. Although Nvidia hasn=92t done much to the design of its GPU architecture recently - other than adding some more stream processors and renaming some of its older GPUs - there=92s little doubt that the original GeForce 8-series architecture was groundbreaking stuff. How do you follow up something like that? Well, according to the rumour mill, Nvidia has similarly radical ideas in store for its upcoming GT300 architecture. Bright Side of News claims to have harvested =93information confirmed from multiple sources=94 about the part, which looks as though it could be set to take on any threat posed by Intel=92s forthcoming Larrabee graphics processor. Unlike today=92s traditional GPUs, which are based on a SIMD (single instruction, multiple data) architecture, the site reports that GT300 will rely on =93MIMD-similar functions=94 where =93all the units work in MPMD mode=94. MIMD stands for multiple-input, multiple-data, and it=92s a technology often found in SMP systems and clusters. Meanwhile, MPMD stands for multiple-program, multiple data. An MIMD system such as this would enable you to run an independent program on each of the GPU=92s parallel processors, rather than having the whole lot running the same program. Put simply, this could open up the pos...

Nvidia's 'NV60' (GT300) apparently uses MIMD architecture to take on Intel's Larrabee and any other challenger
Rumour: Nvidia GT300 architecture revealed Author: Ben Hardwidge Published: 23rd April 2009 How do you follow a GPU architecture such as Nvidia's original G80? Possibly by moving to a completely new MIMD GPU architecture. Although Nvidia hasn=92t done much to the design of its GPU architecture recently - other than adding some more stream processors and renaming some of its older GPUs - there=92s little doubt that the original GeForce 8-series architecture was groundbreaking stuff. How do you follow up something like that? Well, according to the rumour mill, Nvidia has similarly radical...

Web resources about - Original Plain TeX Fonts using LaTeX's \DeclareFixedFont Command - comp.text.tex