Overfull/Underfull HBox warnings a real problem??

Hello,

I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind of
warnings?

Thanks!

Hans

0
nospam21 (19047)

Hans wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind of
> warnings?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hans

I ignore them with contempt.

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor Emeritus of Physics

   "Science knows only one commandment: contribute to science."
   -- Bertolt Brecht, "Galileo".
0
jvn1 (150)
12/25/2003 4:18:14 PM
Hans wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind of
> warnings?

Underfull means that there's too much whitespace in the line. Sometimes
the line

	looks         something             like            this.

Look at it and decide whether it's acceptable. Overfull mean's there's
too little. Often the result is that the line extends into the margin.

--

Pete Becker
petebecker (1324)
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Pete Becker wrote:

> Hans wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> > serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind of
> > warnings?
> >

> Underfull means that there's too much whitespace in the line. Sometimes
> the line
>
> 	looks         something             like            this.
>
> Look at it and decide whether it's acceptable.
if it's not acceptable, change the sentence structure or see whether you
may include further hyphenation-commands into the words that extend into
the margin

--

tilman

Overfull mean's there's
> too little. Often the result is that the line extends into the margin.
>
> --
>
> Pete Becker
> Dinkumware, Ltd. (http://www.dinkumware.com)

0
utzt4 (3)
12/25/2003 6:52:08 PM
Tach Hans,                                  0x2B859DE3 (PGP-PK-ID)

Hans schrieb:
> I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this
> kind of warnings?

 TeX organises the page in boxes (word boxes -> line boxes and so on),
so if your line box is greater than your textwidth you get an hbox
warning. You can ignore it during the creation of your document, but
when it reaches its final state you should avoid them (just looks
nicer). This can be reached by rewriting the sentence, setting
hyphenations by hand or similar means.

V-Li

--
Fingerprint: 68C5 D381 B69A A777 6A91 E999 350A AD7C 2B85 9DE3
http://www.gnupg.org
UTZ Tilman <utzt4@cti.ecp.fr> writes:

> On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Pete Becker wrote:
>
> > Hans wrote:

> > > I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex
> > > 2.2. Are this serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What
> > > does create this kind of warnings?
> > >

> > Underfull means that there's too much whitespace in the
> > line. Sometimes the line
> >
> > 	looks         something             like            this.
> >
> > Look at it and decide whether it's acceptable.

> if it's not acceptable, change the sentence structure or see whether
> you may include further hyphenation-commands into the words that
> extend into the margin

Actually, given that his name is "Hans" and his provider something
including "Benelux", it is quite likely that he is writing in a
non-English language with accents.

So the first thing to do would be to check whether he has selected
the right language for hyphenation and is using a T1 (or equivalent)
font encoding.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
dak (3570)
12/25/2003 7:23:15 PM
"Hans" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote ...
> I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind
of
> warnings?

Personally, I would strongly disagree with Julian's propositions, as it is
too easy to overlook serious shortcomings, such as instances where the end
of a line `really' juts into the margin due to, say, bad hyphenations. TeX
has a reason for warning you, so my advice would be to heed them, while
circumventing the rather unproblematic ones.

To use an example, Times---as a typeface---sets rather tightly, which leads
to enumerable warnings of overfull/underfoot boxes, as already discussed by
others. In such circumstances, TeX is forced to either leave the line
over/underfull and stretch the interword spaces (elasticity), or resort to
hyphenations, which in turn also give rise to penalties. However, if you're
not too rigid with your typesetting, you can try to apply a simple
adjustment, as suggested by Alan Jeffrey as an adaptation to handle an
otherwise to rigid elasticity ...

\tolerance800
\emergencystretch2em
\doublehyphendemerits5000
\hfuzz0pt
\leftskip0pt minus 1pt
\rightskip0pt minus 1pt

If your not happy with the result, try toying around with the values till
you get, what your looking for. That should allow you to rid yourself of the
unnecessary warnings, while retaining the rather more important once.

Nat

0
nat1 (44)

Warning: Matrix is singular to working precision
I am working on rather large matrices and now and then I get the warning: Warning: Matrix is singular to working precision when I take the inverse of a matrix. Why does some matrices give a singular result when inverting them? This has a computational origin. When numbers in the matrix are close to the machine precision (eps), the number of independent rows from the computers' point of view is less than the number of independent rows from the mathematical point of view. A simple example. Take the following matrix: A = [1 0.705; 1.41 1]; b = [1; sqrt(2...

combine class and hyperref problem
Hello, I would like to make a report from several latex articles. The combine class is exactly what I need and works fine, but I would like to use the hyperlinks features given by the hyperrref. Everything works OK as long as I do not include the hyperref package, but when that package is include all references give an "undifined reference" warning so that when I open the pdf file, all the \ref commands give nothing. Anyone knows how to make hyperref and combine class to work together? ...

warning C4244
Hi, I used ACE/TAO 5.6/1.6 with Visual Studio 6 and now I tried to compile the ACE/TAO with Visual Studio 2005 and during compile I have this warning: Compiling... testC.cpp client.cpp ..\client.cpp(98) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'time_t' to 'ACE_RANDR_TYPE', possible loss of data Generating Code... Compiling manifest to resources... Linking... Creating library .\client.lib and object .\client.exp Embedding manifest... It occurs in TAO test: OctetSeq_Client. Any suggestion how solve this problem? ...

ANN Problem
Hello, I am using the below code to predict Y2. my Predtrain_Pro is n by 2 matrix while my p is n by 1. and for this i need to have the matrices equal in size. do I need to use another function or what should I do in this case? net = newff(Predtrain_Pro,p,10); Y1 = sim(net,Predtrain_Pro); net.trainParam.epochs = 50; net.trainParam.goal = 0.01; net = train(net,Predtrain_Pro,p); Y2 = sim(net,Predtrain_Pro); ...

Problem with unziping files
Hi everyone I've got terrible problem with unziping binary files with ICSharpCode library. I've tried to do it by the code below with jpg files. The files are unziped but they are unreadable. I don't know what I have to do. Maybe it's something wrong with library. Can anybody help me?? ZipInputStream unzip = new ZipInputStream(File.OpenRead(@"c:\myFile.zip")); ZipEntry entry; while((entry = unzip.GetNextEntry()) != null) { FileStream s = new FileStream(@"c:\test.jpg",FileMode.Create); while(true) { size = unzip.Read(buffer,0,buffer.Length); ...

US-TX-Austin: Firmware Developer, C, real time embedded system SW design; Perm (45341557608)
US-TX-Austin: Firmware Developer, C, real time embedded system SW design; Perm (45341557608) ============================================================================================ Position: Firmware Developer Reference: SMC01962 Location: Austin TX Duration: Perm Skills: Excellent C programming skills 4yrs real time embedded system software design experience-not just maintenance or support experience Exp with software development for ARM core and or DSP56k core USB SCS...

Comcast High-Speed Internet Bandwidth Usage Warning
I was out of town for a couple days last week. When I got back I had 3 or 4 voice mails from "Comcast policy and security", each from a different person and all warning that if I didn't call back immediately my high-speed Internet service might be discontinued. When I called them back I was told I'd transferred x gigabytes of data in the last month, told that it was some y times greater than the average, and told that it was in the top 1% of bandwidth usage. I was told that if I showed up in this top 1% any time in the next 12 months that my account would be termi...

Wildfire build code 2003250 problems
I installed Wildfire build code 2003250 to fix some plotting problems. Sure enough, it fixed the plotting problems, but it has crashed 4 times since Monday. This is the first build (out of the 4 tried) of Wildfire that has crashed routinly on me, and it seems to do it when a crash will anger me the most. Has anyone else seen problems in this build (i.e.-CRASHING)? In news:vjlb627bff1qb0@corp.supernews.com, Carey Ryerson wrote: > I installed Wildfire build code 2003250 to fix some plotting > problems. Sure enough, it fixed the plotting problems, but it has > crashe...

Problem with converting character variable to numeric variable
I use the following code to convert a character variable (consisting of all numbers) to a numeric variable: acct_nbr=input(acct_num,25.0); I'm using 25 since there are a number of observations with long strings. When I view the output, those long numbers are in scientific notation form (1.0210747E13) and the length is still set to the default of 8. What am I doing wrong? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. On May 24, 1:27=A0pm, greg6363 <gregtlaugh...@gmail.com> wrote: > I use the following code to convert a character variable (consisting > of all number...

a problem about C
I don't why it prints wrong result? I can't find the wrong place,please hulp me. #include<stdio.h> #include<math.h> double distance(double a ,double b,double c,double d); int main() { double x1,y1,x2,y2; double result; double m,n,p,q; printf("Enter four numbers:"); scanf("%f%f%f%f",&x1,&y1,&x2,&y2); m=x1;n=y1;p=x2;q=y2; result=distance(m,n,p,q); printf("The distancd is %.1f",result); return 0; } double distance(double a,double b,double c,double d) { return sqrt((a-c)*(a-c)+(b-d)*(b-d)); } --...

Problems with location.href, query URL and IE(Mac) & Safari
Sorry if this is a rookie mistake... I've been through all the FAQs and the books I have but I can't see the mistake so I guess it's something simple <g> - I'm an occasional JS user. I've got some code (in an external JS file) attached to a number of links off a query result page. The code it checks if there are any ticked items on the page and adds them to a lightbox (cart) before going the next called result page. The idea is to stop the user taking any link off the page and inadvertently remembering to add their selections to the lightbox. The initial call is fr...

Date/Time warning
I get a warning about timezones when using date(). Is there something new in PHP, I've just migrated from one mac to another. /Luser :-( On 20.4.2012 8:44, Torsten J�rgensen wrote: > I get a warning about timezones when using date(). Is there something > new in PHP, I've > just migrated from one mac to another. Probably you should configure default time zone in php.ini. On 2012-04-20 06:47:06 +0000, Goran said: > On 20.4.2012 8:44, Torsten J�rgensen wrote: >> I get a warning about timezones when using date(). Is there something >> new in PHP, I've >...

scp problems between Sun and Dec Alpha.
Hi, I have a Dec Alpha Personal Workstation 600a as a home computer, running Tru64 5.1B. I had some problems with the SSH version in Tru64 some time back when trying to use passwordless connections to systems running OpenSSH. In the end I installed an OpenSSH server on the Dec Alpha. I thought OpenSSH would solve all my problems, but now I have another, which may or may not be related. In order to copy via scp a file of say 2 Mb from the Sun Ultra 80 to the Alpha, it can take about a minute using full-duplex 100 Mbit/s ethernet. Sometimes the transfer stalls and times out, but ...

Why this overfull \hbox?
Hi all, Consider the following file: \documentclass[12pt]{article} \newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem} \setlength{\textwidth}{127mm} \begin{document} \begin{theorem}{\upshape\bfseries(Fundamental theorem of Mathematics)} It is impossible to prove that a mathematical statement is simultaneously true and false. \end{theorem} \begin{theorem}[Fundamental theorem of Mathematics] It is impossible to prove that a mathematical statement is simultaneously true and false. \end{theorem} \end{document} If I compile this file, then what I get is a text that contains two theorems (theorem 1 and theorem 2). Bot...

Preview-latex(Auctex) problem
Hi, I recently downloaded the pre-compiled Emacs+Auctex bundle for Windows from ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex/emacs+auctex-w32-2006-01-29.zip (from this page: http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-windows.html). After getting a few path errors, I found out that I had to configure the paths to Latex, dvips etc manually. The manuals don't seem to have any information on this (not for preconfigured packages anyway). % ------------ Settings ----------------- My settings are: (I used M-x customize-group Auctex and looked for these, presumably M-x set-variable works too) Tex Print C...

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
OK, I posted earlier about uninstalling the NWN2 beta patch because of game/system weirdness. This morning I started my machine and was greeted by a McAfee Personal Firewall tray error message of some kind, and had no internet access. After checking another machine on my network and determining my service wasn't down I decided the simplest thing to do was exercise XP's Restore Point capability. Since Wednesday I'd not only installed the NWN2 beta patch, but also the latest ATI Catalyst Suite and some sort of Java Runtime update I'd been bothered about, so my system ch...

php email problems
Greetings This script file ran till I had a HD crash and had to rebuild my server. Unfurtunately I had everything backed up but some files from /etc. this is a simpel formtoemail script that come with webforms. if I run the script from a shell it sends the email if I run it from a www page I do not get an email. this is the current printout I get if the mail does not send. mail returned FalseThe following was sent on 22/02/07(Thu) @ 15:41 --------------------------------------------------------- submitBtn: Submit name: Allan R. Batteiger address: 3413 Crescent Ct city: Plano state: ...

problem with mathematica :(
Hi Mathematica community, I have this system of equations: Reduce[{i >= iP, v + a*t/(1 - d) == vP + a*tP/(1 - d), t/d^(x/a) == tP/d^(xP/a), a*i + 1*x == a*iP + 1*xP, t/d^(i/-1) == tP/d^(iP/-1), z - c*x*(x - a)/(2*a) == zP - c*xP*(xP - a)/(2*a),iP==0}, {iP,tP,vP,xP,zP},Backsubstitution->True] But mathematica still in running until I abort.Could you tell me what is the problem? Thank you. olfa wrote: > Hi Mathematica community, > I have this system of equations: > Reduce[{i >= iP, v + a*t/(1 - d) == vP + a*tP/(1 - d), > ...

PSION3a alarm problem?
Hi, My 3a seems to be playing up or more likely user error! Recently when i create an entry in Agenda and set an alarm for it, the alarm dosen't go off. This seems more prevelent when the entry is repeated. Any ideas? Cheers, JohnP. -- 1989 Mustang GT, Hedman Hedders, Off road H pipe, K & N. LPG Conversion. Cruising and bruising the Fylde coast of England. Have you tried soft resetting the machine? (backup first .....) "JohnP" <john@lytham-st-annes.freeserve.co.uk-remove_this_bit> wrote in message news:cf4soa$c95$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co...

RETECASA real estate software
This project started on 2000 as a real estate project, but it's easy to adapt it for other purpose as is based on modules. Retecasa is a realestate extranet multilingual platform realized with gwt, php5, ADOdb, it support Mysql, postgreSQL, db2, oracle, access. You can download it for free at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/retecasa/ Bye from Armando - Rome ...

XP Problem
Hi all, I have 2 XP machines - one acting as a client and the other as a server. They're both running 9i. When I make the initial connection from the client (which can be with SQLPLUS, Enterprise Mgr Console, my application... anything), there's always a delay of around 5 seconds. If I try a second connection soon after the first one, it connects instantly - it's as though the server leaves a port open for a while after the first connect. I searched on Google and it seems to be a recognised issue for Oracle on XP, but there didn't seem to be a definitive answer. One g...

how to solve this routing problem?
Dear all, I got this message from sendmail, how can I fix it? Jun 18 01:21:48 fx sm-mta[5872]: i5HHLmTH005872: ruleset=check_mail, arg1=<sam.wun@xyz.com>, relay=fx.xyz.com [192.168.4.2], reject=553 5.1.8 <sam.wun@xyz.com>... Domain of sender address sam.wun@xyz.com does not exist thanks sam Sam wrote: > Dear all, > > I got this message from sendmail, how can I fix it? > Jun 18 01:21:48 fx sm-mta[5872]: i5HHLmTH005872: ruleset=check_mail, > arg1=<sam.wun@xyz.com>, relay=fx.xyz.com [192.168.4.2], reject=553 5.1.8 > <sam.wun@xyz.com>... Domain of ...

Newbie problem: Ellipsis char and compiling errors.
Hello everyone. I feel foolish. I'm muddling my way through ANSI C... I thought this would be a straightforward proposition: Declaring a function with a variable argument list. But no go. The compiler returns errors when I include an ellipsis (ASCII character 201)in the parameter list. eg. int aFunction (int, �) ; cc returns-> error: stray '\311' in program. Is there another ellipsis character extant? Maybe I ought to take up plumbing... Thanks for any assistance Luke Reference "The C Programming Language" Page 155 OS 10.3.2 with gcc 3.3 ...

Overfull box
What is meant by 'Overfull box' and what, if anything, needs to be done about it? -- Thanks, Tau "Tau" <nill@yahoo.co.uk> writes: >What is meant by 'Overfull box' you've asked tex (explicitly or implicitly) to put more into a box than will fit. could be as simple as text not hyphenating "properly" (overfull \hbox) or some problem with your specified page layout (overfull \vbox). >and what, if anything, needs to be done about it? depends what the problem actually is. -- Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge "Robin Fairbairns" <...

another feisty samba problem
another feisty samba problem -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I just upgraded my computer from Dapper to Feisty. there is, however one strange problem with samba. i use this machine as a client to log into a samba server called athlon. the server hasn't changed. i put the name of the server in /etc/hosts and 'ping athlon' works. if i try to mount samba with sudo mount -t cifs -o user=niels,password=iodshfkjnc,noperm //athlon/ home /mnt/athloni receive an error message and 'dmesg | tail' returns: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount faile...