Overfull/Underfull HBox warnings a real problem??

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hello,

I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind of
warnings?

Thanks!

Hans

0
Reply nospam21 (19047) 12/25/2003 1:58:13 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hans wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind of
> warnings?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hans

I ignore them with contempt.

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor Emeritus of Physics

   "Science knows only one commandment: contribute to science."
   -- Bertolt Brecht, "Galileo".
0
Reply jvn1 (150) 12/25/2003 4:18:14 PM

Hans wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind of
> warnings?

Underfull means that there's too much whitespace in the line. Sometimes
the line

	looks         something             like            this.

Look at it and decide whether it's acceptable. Overfull mean's there's
too little. Often the result is that the line extends into the margin.

--

Pete Becker
Reply petebecker (1324) 12/25/2003 4:41:27 PM

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Pete Becker wrote:

> Hans wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> > serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind of
> > warnings?
> >

> Underfull means that there's too much whitespace in the line. Sometimes
> the line
>
> 	looks         something             like            this.
>
> Look at it and decide whether it's acceptable.
if it's not acceptable, change the sentence structure or see whether you
may include further hyphenation-commands into the words that extend into
the margin

--

tilman

Overfull mean's there's
> too little. Often the result is that the line extends into the margin.
>
> --
>
> Pete Becker
> Dinkumware, Ltd. (http://www.dinkumware.com)

0
Reply utzt4 (3) 12/25/2003 6:52:08 PM

Tach Hans,                                  0x2B859DE3 (PGP-PK-ID)

Hans schrieb:
> I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this
> kind of warnings?

 TeX organises the page in boxes (word boxes -> line boxes and so on),
so if your line box is greater than your textwidth you get an hbox
warning. You can ignore it during the creation of your document, but
when it reaches its final state you should avoid them (just looks
nicer). This can be reached by rewriting the sentence, setting
hyphenations by hand or similar means.

V-Li

--
Fingerprint: 68C5 D381 B69A A777 6A91 E999 350A AD7C 2B85 9DE3
http://www.gnupg.org

UTZ Tilman <utzt4@cti.ecp.fr> writes:

> On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Pete Becker wrote:
>
> > Hans wrote:

> > > I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex
> > > 2.2. Are this serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What
> > > does create this kind of warnings?
> > >

> > Underfull means that there's too much whitespace in the
> > line. Sometimes the line
> >
> > 	looks         something             like            this.
> >
> > Look at it and decide whether it's acceptable.

> if it's not acceptable, change the sentence structure or see whether
> you may include further hyphenation-commands into the words that
> extend into the margin

Actually, given that his name is "Hans" and his provider something
including "Benelux", it is quite likely that he is writing in a
non-English language with accents.

So the first thing to do would be to check whether he has selected
the right language for hyphenation and is using a T1 (or equivalent)
font encoding.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>
0
Reply dak (3570) 12/25/2003 7:23:15 PM

"Hans" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote ...
> I get some overflow/underflow \hbox warnings from Miktex 2.2. Are this
> serious warnings? How to solve this warnings? What does create this kind
of
> warnings?

Personally, I would strongly disagree with Julian's propositions, as it is
too easy to overlook serious shortcomings, such as instances where the end
of a line `really' juts into the margin due to, say, bad hyphenations. TeX
has a reason for warning you, so my advice would be to heed them, while
circumventing the rather unproblematic ones.

To use an example, Times---as a typeface---sets rather tightly, which leads
to enumerable warnings of overfull/underfoot boxes, as already discussed by
others. In such circumstances, TeX is forced to either leave the line
over/underfull and stretch the interword spaces (elasticity), or resort to
hyphenations, which in turn also give rise to penalties. However, if you're
not too rigid with your typesetting, you can try to apply a simple
adjustment, as suggested by Alan Jeffrey as an adaptation to handle an
otherwise to rigid elasticity ...

\tolerance800
\emergencystretch2em
\doublehyphendemerits5000
\hfuzz0pt
\leftskip0pt minus 1pt
\rightskip0pt minus 1pt

If your not happy with the result, try toying around with the values till
you get, what your looking for. That should allow you to rid yourself of the
unnecessary warnings, while retaining the rather more important once.

Nat

0
Reply nat1 (44) 12/25/2003 8:19:26 PM
comp.text.tex 36796 articles. 71 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Overfull and Underfull \hbox errors
I'm not doing anything fancy in LaTeX but I'm getting these "Overfull \hbox" errors. Sometimes they say that xx.xxpt is too wide in a certain paragraph, and the text extends past the margins, or it gives me an Underfull error reporting "(badness 10000)", which is significantly badassness, but irritating. The underfull errors don't appear to give any noticeable formatting glitches in the output pdf file. I realize I can manually break the line to remove the overfull error, but that seems unnatural. And I have no idea what the underfull errors are for. Thanks fo...

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
OK, I posted earlier about uninstalling the NWN2 beta patch because of game/system weirdness. This morning I started my machine and was greeted by a McAfee Personal Firewall tray error message of some kind, and had no internet access. After checking another machine on my network and determining my service wasn't down I decided the simplest thing to do was exercise XP's Restore Point capability. Since Wednesday I'd not only installed the NWN2 beta patch, but also the latest ATI Catalyst Suite and some sort of Java Runtime update I'd been bothered about, so my system ch...

Help with long citations and overfull hbox warnings
Can someone help me with the following: how to separate a long cite-label? For example: [Nunamaker et al 89] Latex is not able to separate such a label and so I run into a lot of 'overfull hbox'-messages and the text lookes like it! I read on another posting that I need to change \@citex command in the Latex.tex file by removing the \hbox. However, I am a novice at this and cannot locate the Latex.tex file (I am using MikTeX). Any hints or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Amit deokar.amit@gmail.com writes: >Can someone help me with the following: >how to separate a long ci...

problems problems problems
(The short(?) summary) I've got an Access MDB file and a DAO connect with it.. Problem 1 of 2 The below gives me a runtime error 91 Object variable or With block variable not set. I've got the db stuff after the form.show (to make sure all the objects on the form are loaded before attempting to utilize/manipulate them) But it doesn't like it when I use the data object in the form load anyway for some reason.. pffft. Private Sub Form_Load() frmTest1Project.Show datGallery.Recordset.MoveLast datGallery.Recordset.MoveFirst Call LockTextBoxes(frmTest...

Underfull hbox -- can't see the problem
Hello NG, I've been occasionally working with LaTeX for some months. These days I am writing a reference about Turbo Pascal for my computer science course. I know there are loads of docs in the net, but I want to get only the commands we've discussed in the lessons and (of course) it's a good chance to do some exercise:-) There is a table in my document and by compiling LaTeX remarks that there's an underfull hbox. This is the code: \begin{tabular}{lll} \textbf{Datentyp}&\textbf{Inhalt}&\textbf{Wertebereich}\\ \verb�integer�&Ganzzahlen&$-32768$ bis $+3276...

How to set matter in a box of given dimensions, and get overfull/underfull warnings
Hello I'd like to create a box with given dimensions, and to get overfull/underfull warnings if the content does not properly fit into the box. Something like \def\wibble #1#2{\hbox to #1{#2}} which gives warnings if #2 is long/short, except I'd also like to specify the total height+depth, and get overfull/underfull warnings. Has anyone seen or used something like this before? -- Jonathan Fine The Open University, Milton Keynes, England Jonathan Fine <J.Fine@open.ac.uk> wrote: > Hello > > I'd like to create a box with given dimensions, and to get > o...

warning problems
Hi, i had this m file: fs=3*10e3; %campioning frequency Ts=1/fs; f1=175; f2=700; A=4; B=1; N=256; n=[0:N-1]; x=A.*cos(2*pi*f1*n*Ts)+i*B*sin(2*pi*f2*n*Ts); figure(1) stem(n,x) title('Rappresentazione di x[n]') xlabel('n') ylabel('x[n]') axis([0 N-1 -4 4]) grid on it tell me with warning that it ignore complex number, so the plot i have is different from the one i'm looking for....how can i resolve this problem and have a right plotting of my function? thank u! ...

Overfull \hbox
Any idea how to get rid of this ? I have this citation in the abstract which causes the problem. Isn't tex supposed to take care of this automatically ? Alex T. wrote: > Any idea how to get rid of this ? Read the FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=overfull > Isn't tex supposed to take care of this automatically ? No. Best regards, Jose Carlos Santos Jos� Carlos Santos <jcsantos@fc.up.pt> writes: >Alex T. wrote: >> Any idea how to get rid of this ? > >Read the FAQ: > >http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=overfull &g...

Problems problems....
I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. I'm angry :)) I have LVD/SE terminator, and i think 68pin cable ( not sure about that ). Hope i gave you enough info to try and help. Thanx! -- -...

why Overfull \hbox ?
\item Let $S=\mathbb{N}$. Identifying any map $f:\mathbb{N} \longmapsto \mathbb{F}$ with the sequence $f(1),f(2),\cdots,f(n)$. We see that $\mathbb{F}^{\mathbb{N}}$ is nothing but the set of all sequence $a_1,a_2,a_3,\cdots,a_n$ in $\mathbb{F}$. \item Let $\mathbb{S}=\mathbb{R}$ and $\mathbb{F}=\mathbb{R}$. Then $ \mathbb{F}^{\mathbb{S}}$ is the set of all function $\mathbb{R} \longmapsto \mathbb{R}$. Such functions are visualized by their graph in $\mathbb{R}^2$. I got an error message: Overfull \hbox (35.8682pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 520--521 Overfull \hbox (10.13635pt too wide)...

Problem with a problem
Hello, take a grammar G with alphabet {0,1} such that (the word problem for) the language L_G={w in (0+1)*|w\in L(G)} is very complex, say in PSPACE or some higher complexity class. Now consider an "easy" problem EASY like: "Is an element of L_G in L_G?". Well, this seems to be fairly easy because the answer is "yes" in any case. Hence the problem should be of small complexity. But if one models such a decision problem one has to construct a language L with alphabet A such that the word problem for L reflects exactly the decision problem which one is interested...

underfull \hbox
Dear all, in his LaTeX book (in German) J. Knappen recommends that underfull \boxes may be eliminated by \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}. What other solutions to the underfull \hbox-problem are possible? BR pkg In article <1151676714.159145.28450@d56g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>, pkg wrote: > in his LaTeX book (in German) J. Knappen recommends that underfull > \boxes may be eliminated by \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}. What other > solutions to the underfull \hbox-problem are possible? That seems nonsense to me: \documentclass{minimal} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \begin{document} Begin with s...

Overfull hboxes
While reading theTeXbook, I ran into the next passage regarding hboxes: "[...] with the overfull box you also get [...] (2) a big black bar inserted at the right of the offending box, in your output." (The TeXbook, p. 27, second paragraph from the bottom) I was always wondering about that, since I've had some overfull hboxes, but never have I seen said bar. Either this feature isn't implemented in my TeX (MiKTeX) or it's disabled. Anyone knows how I can turn it on? Thanks in advance, Ohad. Ohad Kammar wrote: > While reading theTeXbook, I ran into the next pa...

Why this overfull \hbox?
Hi all, Consider the following file: \documentclass[12pt]{article} \newtheorem{theorem}{Theorem} \setlength{\textwidth}{127mm} \begin{document} \begin{theorem}{\upshape\bfseries(Fundamental theorem of Mathematics)} It is impossible to prove that a mathematical statement is simultaneously true and false. \end{theorem} \begin{theorem}[Fundamental theorem of Mathematics] It is impossible to prove that a mathematical statement is simultaneously true and false. \end{theorem} \end{document} If I compile this file, then what I get is a text that contains two theorems (theorem 1 and theorem 2). Bot...

Re: How many files can you have in a VMS directory without performance problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? performance problems? performance problems? problems? perfo
First, does anyone know why Info-VAX goes nuts on subjects from time to time? (Or is the trouble elsewhere?) From: JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> > DELETE Z*.*;* > DELETE Y*.*;* > ... > DELETE A*.*;* > > (followed by the numbers). This scheme may be a bit obsolete. See: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/731FINAL/4506/4506pro_014.html#index_x_890 I quote: [...] 5.2.3.1.2 Extended Character Set In addition, OpenVMS V7.2 on Alpha systems and ODS-5 disks includes support for the use of file names, and subdirectory and root subdirectory names, tha...

problems with real player
hi. i have some real player files (*.rm, etc). these files work on my real player on windows, but when i play the same files on mac the videos freeze.. even real videos that i've downloaded right to my mac freeze the program. anyone run into this problem? any suggestions? thanks, -adam adam79@toast.net ...

Gamut Warning Problem
Hello, i have some pictures that I would like to have printed. I have donwloaded a color profile from the printshop of my choice. I can see some relatively large areas where Photoshop shows me a Gamut warning for that profile. I can get rid of this by reducing the saturation of the image, but I was wondering if there is a better way to do this. I am looking for some transformation that keeps the overall appearance of the image without having to reduce saturation. If you know how to handle this, I would highly appreciate your input. Thanks Andre http://www.aguntherphotography.com andre.gun...

hbox overflow problem
Hi every one, I have the following part of Latex source that compiles perfects into pdf using pdfLatex (I am using WinEdt) "Speed of sound in water is around 5 orders of magnitude slower than RF (1500 m/s) which translates to a propagation delay of around 0.5 sec for 500 m." However when i add the following to it (to show and exponent) I get errors the follwoing error tshl-dr.tex:78: Missing $ inserted I've inserted a begin-math/end-math symbol since I think you left one out. Proceed, with fingers crossed. overfull \hbox (1005.17522pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 74--83...

warning suppression problem
Hello Mathlab gurus! When I do a=[1 10 20 -50]; figure; plot(a) set(gca, 'YScale', 'log') I obtain a warning: Warning: Negative data ignored I would like to suppress this warning so I type : warning off last but I obtain an error ??? Error using ==> warning The last warning issued had an empty warning identifier, or no warnings have yet been issued. Any ideas on how to suppress this warning which becomes very ennoying especially when doing many zooms in and out? Looks to me as if this is a Mathlab bug! thanks a lot for your kindly help servet se...

understanding overfull hboxes
Hi, I'm trying to understand the log messages when it comes to the open/close brackets. For example, I see these lines: Overfull \hbox (22.1651pt too wide) in alignment at lines 1311--1316 [] [] [] [] Overfull \hbox (22.1651pt too wide) in alignment at lines 1316--1321 [] [] [] [] Overfull \hbox (22.1651pt too wide) in alignment at lines 1321--1323 [] [] [] [] Overfull \hbox (22.1651pt too wide) in alignment at lines 1323--1325 [] [] [] [] The lines in question are from a longtable. The headings begin on line 1311 and end on line 1326. \begin{longtable}{p{1in} p{2.4in} p{2.4i...

A Real Problem with ProxyPass
People, i have 2 servers (RedHat 9 as NAT/Firewall runs Apache2.0.40 with mod_proxy/ProxyPass , and, W2003Server runs Apache2.0.54 within local network [192.168.*.*]) The Apache on RedHat9 has a real Internet IP address and should transfer documents from internal web server wich is running on W2003Server. It actually does that, untill i try to download a big files through http (70Mb). In such case Apache on RedHat9 sucks in memory all the file and hungs. It does not proxying documents properly, - it tryes to download them completely before transfer to the client. Please help me to understand ...

The real Apple problem
So what, the 4g has a bit of a problem. But why is in the national news? Simply because the Jobs PR machine has set up Apple as a "magical" company. Take that, and the fact that Apple does not permit widespread testing of new products, and you have a ticking time bomb. Jobs has put the company under a microscope with no real world contact with new products. Sooner or later it is going to blow up. Now may be that time. In article <p5bv36toac2o4ii67vme3oi8tg5og9n6vr@4ax.com>, Tommy the Troll <tom_elamatearthlinkdotnet> wrote: > So what, the 4g has ...

\pageref and \hbox problem
Run the following twice: ---- begin ---- \documentclass{article}% \begin{document}% label Alpha is on page \pageref{Alpha}\\% create label Alpha \label{Alpha}\\% \newpage% \typeout{>>\pageref{Alpha}<<}% \newcounter{AlphaPage}% \setcounter{AlphaPage}{\pageref{Alpha}}% !!!! the \hbox is printed on page 2 \typeout{>>\arabic{AlphaPage}<<}% \end{document}% ---- end ---- The log file is at the end of this post. I get two pages on my system, the second page is blank. Comment out the \setcounter line, run, only one page is produced. I want to use the page num...

why no overfull box warning?
Hi group, Isn't it strange I don't get an overfull box warning in the following snippet? \documentclass[a4paper]{article} \usepackage[ngerman]{babel} \usepackage{amsmath} \renewcommand*{\theenumi}{Aufgabe \arabic{enumi}} \renewcommand*{\labelenumi}{\bfseries{\underline{\theenumi}}} \renewcommand*{\labelenumii}{(\alph{enumii})} \begin{document} \selectlanguage{ngerman} \begin{enumerate} \item \begin{enumerate} \item \begin{align*} E(SK:\tau\to\sigma\to\sigma) &= E(S:\alpha_0\to\tau\to\sigma\to\sigma) \cup E(K:\alpha_0)\\ &=E(\lambda xyz.xz(yz):\alpha_0\to\tau\to\sig...