f



Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year citations.

Hi all,

When I upddate to the latest natbib version of miktex, I meet the
following errors when I run pdflatex - bibtex - pdflatex:

----------------------------
! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
citations.

(natbib)                Press <return> to continue in numerical
citation style.


See the natbib package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
 ...

l.332 ...and\NAT@force@numbers{}\NAT@force@numbers

?
----------------------------

Any hints?

-- 
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
0
hongyi.zhao (503)
3/3/2009 1:58:34 PM
comp.text.tex 39029 articles. 3 followers. Post Follow

14 Replies
6982 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 52

Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> When I upddate to the latest natbib version of miktex, I meet the
> following errors when I run pdflatex - bibtex - pdflatex:
> 
> ----------------------------
> ! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
> citations.
> 
> (natbib)                Press <return> to continue in numerical
> citation style.
> 
> 
> See the natbib package documentation for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>  ...
> 
> l.332 ...and\NAT@force@numbers{}\NAT@force@numbers
> 
> ?
> ----------------------------
> 
> Any hints?
> 

full minimal example please

did you use bibtex or wrote the bibliography by hand?

did you use a style compatible with natbib?




-- 

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/    (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif2 (2648)
3/3/2009 2:16:12 PM
Am Tue, 03 Mar 2009 21:58:34 +0800 schrieb Hongyi Zhao:

> Hi all,
> 
> When I upddate to the latest natbib version of miktex, I meet the
> following errors when I run pdflatex - bibtex - pdflatex:
> 
> ----------------------------
> ! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
> citations.

> 
> Any hints?

Use natbib with the option "numbers". 


-- 
Ulrike Fischer 
0
news21630 (1434)
3/3/2009 2:39:38 PM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 15:16:12 +0100, Lars Madsen
<daleif@RTFSIGNATUREimf.au.dk> wrote:

>full minimal example please
>
>did you use bibtex or wrote the bibliography by hand?
>
>did you use a style compatible with natbib?

See the following one:

----------------------
\listfiles

\documentclass[10pt]{article}

\usepackage[numbers,sort&compress]{natbib}
\let\asas=\cite
\renewcommand\cite[1]{\textsuperscript{\asas{#1}}}
\bibpunct{[}{]}{,}{a}{}{;}
\def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus .33em minus .07em}

\begin{document}

\cite{Engel1997}

%\bibliographystyle{BibTeX_Entries/unsrt_gbt}
%\bibliographystyle{unsrt}
%\bibliography{BibTeX_Entries/PhD_Bibliography}

\begin{thebibliography}{1}

\bibitem{Engel1997}
{Engel G E}.
\newblock {Linear Response and the Exchange-Correlation Hole within a
  Screened-Exchange Density Functional Theory}.
\newblock {\em Phys. Rev. Lett.}, 78(18):3515, 1997.

\end{thebibliography}

\end{document} 
----------------------

The above example works smoothly with the following natbib version:

 natbib.sty    2006/09/06 7.4a (PWD)

But it'll failed to work with the following natbib version:

 natbib.sty    2009/02/02 8.3 (PWD, AO)

In the latter case, the errors are:

----------------------
! Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year
citations.

(natbib)                Press <return> to continue in numerical
citation style.


See the natbib package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
 ...

l.4 ...mmand\NAT@force@numbers{}\NAT@force@numbers

?
-----------------------

Regards,

-- 
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
0
hongyi.zhao (503)
3/3/2009 2:50:14 PM
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:39:38 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <news2@nililand.de>
wrote:

>Use natbib with the option "numbers". 

I've used this option and please see my example.  

-- 
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
0
hongyi.zhao (503)
3/3/2009 2:51:29 PM
Am Tue, 03 Mar 2009 22:51:29 +0800 schrieb Hongyi Zhao:

 
>>Use natbib with the option "numbers". 
> 
> I've used this option and please see my example.

But you are disabling it again with your \bibpunct setting. Use n
instead of a:

\bibpunct{[}{]}{,}{n}{}{;}


-- 
Ulrike Fischer 
0
news21630 (1434)
3/3/2009 3:06:30 PM
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:06:30 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <news2@nililand.de>
wrote:

>But you are disabling it again with your \bibpunct setting. Use n
>instead of a:
>
>\bibpunct{[}{]}{,}{n}{}{;}

Thanks.  

But, why my example works with 

 natbib.sty    2006/09/06 7.4a (PWD)

while it'll failed to work with the following natbib version:

 natbib.sty    2009/02/02 8.3 (PWD, AO).

-- 
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
0
hongyi.zhao (503)
3/3/2009 3:19:07 PM
Am Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:19:07 +0800 schrieb Hongyi Zhao:

>>But you are disabling it again with your \bibpunct setting. Use n
>>instead of a:
>>
>>\bibpunct{[}{]}{,}{n}{}{;}
> 
> Thanks.  
> 
> But, why my example works with 
> 
>  natbib.sty    2006/09/06 7.4a (PWD)
> 
> while it'll failed to work with the following natbib version:
> 
>  natbib.sty    2009/02/02 8.3 (PWD, AO).

I don't have an older version to look into, but I guess that natbib
always switched to numbers in this cases but did give only a warning
in older versions. Check the log-file. 


-- 
Ulrike Fischer 
0
news21630 (1434)
3/3/2009 3:26:58 PM
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:26:58 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <news2@nililand.de>
wrote:

>I don't have an older version to look into, but I guess that natbib
>always switched to numbers in this cases but did give only a warning
>in older versions. Check the log-file. 

I've checked the logfile and find none warning.

-- 
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
0
hongyi.zhao (503)
3/3/2009 3:47:23 PM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 23:47:23 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
<hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 16:26:58 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <news2@nililand.de>
>wrote:
>
>>I don't have an older version to look into, but I guess that natbib
>>always switched to numbers in this cases but did give only a warning
>>in older versions. Check the log-file. 
>
>I've checked the logfile and find none warning.

You should read other postings. This exact problem has 
been discussed already. Old natbib was lax and silently
reverted to numbers when it should always have warned
about incompaibiliities and inconsistencies. 

The new natbib is better for doing so. The only improvement 
one could hope for would be to make it claravoyant and
give the user what he wanted rather than what he asked for.


Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
0
LookInSig (1085)
3/3/2009 6:13:30 PM
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:13:30 -0600, Dan Luecking <LookInSig@uark.edu>
wrote:

>You should read other postings. This exact problem has 
>been discussed already. Old natbib was lax and silently
>reverted to numbers when it should always have warned
>about incompaibiliities and inconsistencies. 

Any hints on the title of or link to this post? 

>
>The new natbib is better for doing so. The only improvement 
>one could hope for would be to make it claravoyant and
>give the user what he wanted rather than what he asked for.



-- 
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
0
hongyi.zhao (503)
3/4/2009 2:17:06 AM
Am Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:17:06 +0800 schrieb Hongyi Zhao:

> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:13:30 -0600, Dan Luecking <LookInSig@uark.edu>
> wrote:
> 
>>You should read other postings. This exact problem has 
>>been discussed already. Old natbib was lax and silently
>>reverted to numbers when it should always have warned
>>about incompaibiliities and inconsistencies. 
> 
> Any hints on the title of or link to this post? 

Search google.groups for
natbib Bibliography not compatible with author-year


-- 
Ulrike Fischer 
0
news21630 (1434)
3/4/2009 9:08:18 AM
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 10:17:06 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
<hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:13:30 -0600, Dan Luecking <LookInSig@uark.edu>
>wrote:
>
>>You should read other postings. This exact problem has 
>>been discussed already. Old natbib was lax and silently
>>reverted to numbers when it should always have warned
>>about incompaibiliities and inconsistencies. 
>
>Any hints on the title of or link to this post? 

I'm not sure how to specify a post generically, but here is 
the google groups url, after searching for "natbib error" 
and my name:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/a1a0b88cdd9ffec9/1dc17ea2e0a80601?lnk=gst&q=%22natbib+error%22+luecking#1dc17ea2e0a80601

And here is the message header of the start of the thread, as 
I see it in my newsreader:

Newsgroups: comp.text.tex
Subject: Package Natbib Error (only new versions suffer from this)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:28:01 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 11
Message-ID:
<1ba634d0-a1da-4132-96bf-82f21bdf95c6@13g2000yql.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 212.242.106.14


Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
0
LookInSig (1085)
3/4/2009 4:52:36 PM
Dan Luecking wrote:

> I'm not sure how to specify a post generically, [...]

You could use the Message ID and a news: specifier, like this:
<news:bfj5q41b96ucclgj5a23remak2e0p1ovbh@4ax.com>

> And here is the message header of the start of the thread, as 
> I see it in my newsreader:
> [...]
> Message-ID:
> <1ba634d0-a1da-4132-96bf-82f21bdf95c6@13g2000yql.googlegroups.com>

Here you have the Message-ID for this post. BTW, one can also search for
a specific Message-ID in Google Groups. But smart newsreaders should go
to the message (or pull it from the newsserver) if you give a <news:...>
link.

Regards,
Dominik.-
-- 
UK-TeX-FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html
minimal example: http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
biblatex styles: http://biblatex.dominik-wassenhoven.de/index.shtml?en
0
domwass (192)
3/4/2009 5:27:03 PM
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 18:27:03 +0100, Dominik Wa?enhoven <domwass@web.de>
wrote:

>You could use the Message ID and a news: specifier, like this:
><news:bfj5q41b96ucclgj5a23remak2e0p1ovbh@4ax.com>

The main issue is that most of the newsservers will have retaining
duration for the messages.  If the newsmaster has delete the
corresponding message, the above method will be futile.

In this case, the google group archive will be a good alternative way
due to its permanent backup for comp.text.tex.

-- 
..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
0
hongyi.zhao (503)
3/5/2009 3:41:37 AM
Reply:

Web resources about - Package natbib Error: Bibliography not compatible with author-year citations. - comp.text.tex

Edgar Allan Poe bibliography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The works of American author Edgar Allan Poe (January 19, 1809 – October 7, 1849) include many poems , short stories , and one novel . His fiction ...

HBD Bibliography (@HBDBibliography) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up To bring you Twitter, we and our partners use cookies on our and other websites. Cookies help personalize Twitter content, tailor ...

Canada: A People's History - Literary Bibliography
... to me as reader and teacher of Canadian literature and that address specific eras covered by Canada: A People's History. This is not a bibliography ...

Annotated Bibliography - Construx
Primary References McConnell, Steve. Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art , Redmond, Wa.: Micro-soft Press, 2006. The companion book ...

The United States of Bibliography
That same-height volume of books that need to stay together? Stow those in Kansas or Colorado. Your super-tall art books can fit in Florida. ...

The 'Harry Potter' Bibliography: 5 Secrets Revealed
A Marauder&#39;s Map of the Harry Potter series, taking shape in the form of a bibliography on J.

J.K. Rowling Bibliography To Reveal New 'Harry Potter' Secrets
... on Pottermore: The motherlode of Harry Potter revelations is coming. According to the Guardian, Bloomsbury has published a 544-page bibliography ...

'J.K. Rowling: A Bibliography' offers incredible look behind the 'Harry Potter' series
... series over the past twenty years, but no book may organize its development as well as J.K. Ro Home Movies Harry Potter ‘J.K. Rowling: A Bibliography’ ...

Jerry Pournelle: A Bibliography
Check out our partial bibliography of the prolific computer columnist and sci-fi writer Jerry Pournelle. These representative links should be ...

A New J.K. Rowling Bibliography Unearths Harry Potter Series Secrets
It's not a biography, it's a bibliography, but a new book about J.K. Rowling is so detailed the author herself calls it "slavishly thorough and ...

Resources last updated: 3/11/2016 5:43:25 AM