Palatino numerals in maths equations?

I'm trying to consistently use Palatino fonts in my thesis.  That
includes all numerals.  In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a
'2' in the Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in
Times Roman font I think.  I've tried using the packages (stabbing in
the dark basically).

mathpple
mathpazo
palatinomath
palatino
palatcm

with no luck.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
0
chrisr9796 (14)

Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> writes:

> mathpple
> mathpazo
> palatinomath
> palatino
> palatcm

The correct way to use Palatino is mathpazo.sty (see FAQ, psnfss doc
etc). And i can't see a difference between the two '2' in

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathpazo}
\begin{document}
2 $2$
\end{document}

cheerio
ralf
0
ralf.stubner (882)
6/11/2004 10:15:31 AM
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:14:35 +1200, Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> wrote:

> I'm trying to consistently use Palatino fonts in my thesis.  That
> includes all numerals.  In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a
> '2' in the Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in
> Times Roman font I think.  I've tried using the packages (stabbing in
> the dark basically).
>
> mathpple
> mathpazo
> palatinomath
> palatino
> palatcm

If you use mathpazo (and only that) you get Palatino text and math.
--
Morten H�gholm
I haven't got a smelly address.

Chrisr wrote:

> I'm trying to consistently use Palatino fonts in my thesis.  That
> includes all numerals.  In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a
> '2' in the Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in
> Times Roman font I think.  I've tried using the packages (stabbing in
> the dark basically).
>
> mathpple
> mathpazo
> palatinomath
> palatino
> palatcm
>
> with no luck.  Any ideas?  Thanks.
0
chrisr9796 (14)
6/11/2004 10:29:52 AM
Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> writes:

> >In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a '2' in the
> > Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in
> > Times Roman
> > mathpple
> > mathpazo
> > palatinomath
> > palatino
> > palatcm

Well that's pretty stupid (I'm sure uncharacteristically so).

Actually, it looks like you would have text palatino but computer
modern math (from palatcm last).

> What I was trying to do was use palatino numerals in the maths environment
> while retaining the default maths symbols?

Oh Hmmmm.  Is that a question, or were you really trying to do that?
If you were trying to do that, then be aware that the numerals are math
symbols too.

Package mathpazo is all you want for uniform Palatino in text and math.

Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0
asnd (4601)
6/11/2004 9:28:59 PM
I thought I knew what I originally wanted, but apparently not.  To
clarify, I'm trying for Palatino numerals (0-9) and letters (a-z) in the
math environment, but computer modern Greek symbols (simply prefer these
to the symbols defined by mathpazo).
0
chrisr9796 (14)
6/12/2004 1:06:32 AM
Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> skribis:
> I thought I knew what I originally wanted, but apparently not.  To
> clarify, I'm trying for Palatino numerals (0-9) and letters (a-z) in the
> math environment, but computer modern Greek symbols (simply prefer these
> to the symbols defined by mathpazo).

But I wouldn't recommend that at all. The italic letters of Palatino
don't fit at all with the greek italic of cm. Check the following test:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{palatino}
%\usepackage{mathpazo}
\begin{document}
\textit{b}$\beta$
\end{document}

You see that the line widths of the "b" and the "\beta" and the italic
angle don't fit at all.

joh
Chrisr schrieb:

> I thought I knew what I originally wanted, but apparently
> not.  To clarify, I'm trying for Palatino numerals (0-9)
> and letters (a-z) in the math environment, but computer
> modern Greek symbols (simply prefer these to the symbols
> defined by mathpazo).

They do not match at all (proportions, shape, color, etc.),
but if that's what you want, you'll probably have to create
a new set of mathfonts. IIRC the fontinst sources for
mathpazo are on CTAN.

FYI:  Walter's page on TeX-Mathfonts (mostly in german, but
examples are in english)

http://home.vr-web.de/~was/mathfonts.html

0
mrosena (445)
6/12/2004 8:22:14 AM
Johannes Mueller schrieb:

>> I thought I knew what I originally wanted, but
>> apparently not.  To clarify, I'm trying for Palatino
>> numerals (0-9) and letters (a-z) in the math
>> environment, but computer modern Greek symbols (simply
>> prefer these to the symbols defined by mathpazo).
>

> But I wouldn't recommend that at all. The italic letters
> of Palatino don't fit at all with the greek italic of cm.
> Check the following test:
>
> \documentclass{article} \usepackage{palatino}
> %\usepackage{mathpazo} \begin{document} \textit{b}$\beta$
>  \end{document}
>
> You see that the line widths of the "b" and the "\beta"
> and the italic angle don't fit at all.

This one is just as bad:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\begin{document}
\textit{a}$a\alpha$
\end{document}

0
mrosena (445)

Text equation
The problem: getting a version of the equation environment which displays multi-line text, i.e. text in paragraph mode, rather than having the content processed in math mode. Following a tip at http://www.latex-project.org/ltnews/ltnews06.pdf I've come up with the following new environment definition: % TextEquation environment \newenvironment{texteqn}% {\begin{equation}% \begin{minipage}[t]{0.9\linewidth}}% {\end{minipage}% \end{equation}% \ignorespacesafterend} My (small) improvement is to include the [t] option to the minipage environment, to ensure that the equation numbering and the top of the text match in their vertical alignments. The minipage environment should allow, for example, list and enumerate environments to be used within the text of the 'equation'. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows of a better solution. GHF ...

Equation numeration with paragraphs but without text?
Hi, is it possible to do the equation numeration, like we have in some books, but without displaying text "equation 1.1". I have tried to delete the text manually, but when I do the cross-referencing, the whole text is being inserted along with numbers. I have messed a little bit with fields, but couldn't make it. Here is what I have in mind: x + y = z (3.7) where the first number is the number of section and the second number is numerator. So when I do cross-referencing I get "Like we have in eq...

CTAN update: TeX Gyre Pagella Math and TeX Gyre Termes Math
the daemon pronounced: > Name of contribution: TeX Gyre Pagella Math and TeX Gyre Termes Math updates > Author's name: Staszek Wawrykiewicz > Author's email: staw@gust.org.pl > Package version: 1.605 and 1.502 > Location on CTAN: fonts/tex-gyre-math/ > Summary description: TeX Gyre Pagella Math and TeX Gyre Termes Math > are math companions for the TeX Gyre Pagella and TeX Gyre Termes > families of fonts > License type: other-free > > > Announcement text given by the package's contributor: > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > TeX Gyre Pagella Math (ver. 1.605) and TeX Gyre Termes Math (ver. 1.502) > are math companions for the TeX Gyre Pagella and TeX Gyre Termes families > of fonts (see http://www.gust.org.pl/projects/e-foundry/tex-gyre/) in > the OpenType format. > > Authors: Bogus\l{}aw Jackowski, Piotr Strzelczyk and Piotr Pianowski > > Please note, that the naming of the fonts file was changed to the unified > scheme <full font name, lowercase, nospaces>-math.otf > > Users may view the package catalogue entry at > http://www.ctan.org/pkg/tex-gyre-math > or they may browse the package directory at > http://mirror.ctan.org/fonts/tex-gyre-math/ all now installed, catalogued, etc. thanks for the update. Robin Fairbairns For the CTAN team On 2013-02-08 12:09:15 +0100, CTAN Announceme...

(La)TeX math -> fixed width text
Hello ctt, I was playing around with Unicode and I made a HTML page with some mathematical expressions using fixed-width characters: http://wiki.auf-trag.de/textmath.html Is there a program that would make something like that automatically from LaTeX math code? (I know it's ugly, I'm just asking out of curiosity) Regards, Stephan Stephan Walter wrote: > Hello ctt, > > I was playing around with Unicode and I made a HTML page with some > mathematical expressions using fixed-width characters: > > http://wiki.auf-trag.de/textmath.html > > Is there a program that would make something like that automatically > from LaTeX math code? Yes tth http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/ check out the -u switch if you really want unicode. Ian Hutchinson. ...

program to display text files with imbedded TeX Math expressions.
I am reading a mailing list. Some of the messages contain embedded TeX math expressions (escaped with $). The messages themselves are not valid TeX or LaTeX; they do not have the proper headers. Are there programs to properly display these math expressions? -- Paul Elliott 1(512)837-1096 pelliott@io.com PMB 181, 11900 Metric Blvd Suite J http://www.io.com/~pelliott/pme/ Austin TX 78758-3117 Under Plain TeX you dont need any headers. Just an ending \bye. On NeXTstep you could use TeXview.app's TeX eq -> eps Service to convert them inline to eps and view them using Display PostScript. For Mac OS X there's Doug Rowland's Equation Service and some others: http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/EquationService/ and other options for other platforms / systems. William Paul Elliott wrote: > I am reading a mailing list. Some of the messages contain embedded TeX > math expressions (escaped with $). The messages themselves are not > valid TeX or LaTeX; they do not have the proper headers. > > Are there programs to properly display these math expressions? Well, you could "copy and paste" the expressions into a blank file and TeX it. Or you could learn TeX and read it directly. --- Christopher Heckman On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 12:49:25 -0600, Paul Elliott <pelliott@hrnowl.io.com> wrote: Posting a message to sci.math with followups set to comp.text.tex doesn't make much sense that I c...

text + text

Text under an equation
Hello, There is an equation in witch I would like to write something under the equality sign (=). I try this now with \substack{=\\P.I.} but then the equality sign is not in the right place. Any idea what latex I need to use? Regards On Apr 21, 1:45=A0pm, Passien Begoen <passien.beg...@invalid.com> wrote: > Hello, > > There is an equation in witch I would like to write something under the > equality sign (=3D). I try this now with \substack{=3D\\P.I.} but then th= e > equality sign is not in the right place. \substack (as the name implies and the documentation states) is for *sub*scripts. You want something like \stackrel, but which places an argument under the relation. The amsmath package provides \underset{P.I.}{=3D} Dan ...

text-text

maths equation
what the command if i want to realize a mathematical expression that has an exponential function. eg: I = I0(exp(t)-1) In the simulink basic library under "Math operations", you can find the "math function" block, which fulfills your needs. ...

Numeric Text
Hello all, Is there any way makes me prevent the user from entering characters in a Text object I want the Textbox to accept only numeric values when writting into it. Thanks Regards, lightzizo wrote: > Is there any way makes me prevent the user from entering characters in > a Text object 1. There is no Text object. You probably mean an input[type="text"] element. 2. No, client-side script support may be not present, so do not bother. You need to validate this server-side anyway. > I want the Textbox to accept only numeric values when writting into it. Googl...

Dsum , using numeric & Text help with the Text bit!
Acc 97 Hi, I have the following in my query which works well if it is all set to numbers on table design. But what I want to do is where it states MC (short for machine name) use the actual machine name of which there are 5 off. therefore, on the table design I flick it over to text mode. the query throws a wobbler! and all I get is Error!! would a kind knowledgeable sole, show me how I need to modify this, so that I can use Text setting only the end parts as identified as "MC="&[MC] Note this works OK if all is numeric DSum("[tot]","[Query1]"," E...

text equation
I have the following text Cell[TextData[{ "\[CapitalEpsilon]\[Iota]\[Sigma]\[Alpha]\[Gamma]\[Omega]\[Gamma]\:03ae \[Sigma]\[Tau]\[Omicron] ", StyleBox["Mathematica", FontSlant->"Italic"], " " }], "Text"] It is a text expression whith Greek words. (the translation is: Introduction to Mathematica) However, I can't find how to make the greek characters not appear in italic format. Thanks in advance Dimitris dimitris schrieb: > I have the following text > > Cell[TextData[{ > > "...

math equations
Hello, I would like to ask a rather generic question: In what format do DVI converter programs, as dvitops, convert math equations ? bitmap or postscript ? If they do it in postscript format, do they use a specific "math" font ? Thanks Jean Epitalon "Jean-Marie Epitalon" <be-dot-interlab@atiscali.fr> writes: >I would like to ask a rather generic question: > >In what format do DVI converter programs, as dvitops, convert math equations >? >bitmap or postscript ? dvitops is very old indeed, but (like current dvips) produces postscript. >If they do it in postscript format, do they use a specific "math" font ? of course; tex has had such fonts since the very beginning, in the 1980s. there are also dvi->bitmap convertors of various sorts. they also use the maths fonts. -- Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge ...

Italic text and math: spacing / lm-math silently fails to display glyphs
Hello, I am trying to solve the following problem: Using math in italicised text yields to unpleasant spacing. It seems to be even more obvious while using Latin Modern (lmodern or cfr-lm). In my document it looks almost as if there were two spaces after an equation that ends with "Y". Also, punctuation after such an equation is way off. Compare http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/3490/ and see below for a minimal example. In times of sophisticated packages as microtype I find it surprising that there seems to be no "proper" fix for this. Nonetheless, using unicode-math (and lm-math at that) seems to solve this problem (feed the example below through lualatex). The drawback is that lm- math seems to lack (many?) glyphs; at least they do not show up in the document (eg. the \mapsto below). This problem is specific to Latin Modern Math; if I use XITS or Asana-Math, all glyphs are displayed. So my questions are: a) Is there really no solution for this problem using pdflatex? b) Am I correct about my assumption that lm-math is lacking all these glyphs or is it something specific to my setup? http://www.gust.org.pl/ projects/e-foundry/lm-math states "LM and LM Math taken together may now be regarded as a full descendant of Computer Modern" which certainly lacks that certain notion of being half-finished. b1) If so, how can I tell what glyphs are affected? I did not spot any complaint in lualatex's out...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

I want bold \glsnamefont for both text and math (symbols) but \ifmmode tests upon entry, not if argument (#1) is math mode based
Suppose I have two entries: =20 \newglossaryentry{exists}{type=3Dsymbols, name=3D{\ensuremath{\exists}}, description=3D{is the mathematical symbol for \emph{there exists}.}, sort=3D{exists} } \newglossaryentry{such that}{type=3Dsymbols, name=3D{\text{s.t.}, description=3D{is the mathematical symbol for \emph{such that}.}, sort=3D{such that}, } If I use \renewcommand{\glsnamefont}[1]{\ifmmode{\boldsymbol{#1}}\else{\textbf{#1}}\= fi} it appears \ifmmode always executes \else because going in it is not in mat= h mode, entry exists switches it into math mode but \glsnamefont tests befo= re #1 goes into math mode (or at least that is what I think is happening). = I need a test that sees if #1 goes into math mode (or some other way to te= st....) Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated, david s. On 12/02/14 03:12, Dave94705 wrote: > Suppose I have two entries: > > \newglossaryentry{exists}{type=symbols, > name={\ensuremath{\exists}}, > description={is the mathematical symbol for \emph{there exists}.}, > sort={exists} > } > > \newglossaryentry{such that}{type=symbols, > name={\text{s.t.}, > description={is the mathematical symbol for \emph{such that}.}, > sort={such that}, > } > > If I use > > \renewcommand{\glsnamefont}[1]{\ifmmode{\boldsymbol{#1}}\else{\textbf{#1}}\fi} > > it appears \ifmmode always executes \else b...

math equations in java
is there any kind of font/typeset (sorry for the vagueness) available in java that allows the expression of equations or algebraic expressions? i am meaning something like x^3 + 3x^2 - 5, where here the '3' and the '2' indices would be raised to the top right of the 'x' symbol so as to appear as it would be written in a math text book or whatever. anyone know what i'm on about here :) jeremy watts On May 21, 11:19=A0pm, Jeremy Watts <jwatts1...@hotmail.com> wrote: > is there any kind of font/typeset (sorry for the vagueness) available > in java that...

tex equation in the plot.
Hi, I would like to plot some (10 or 20) graphics in the same figure. I would like to get this lines with the text of the equaton between the lines or close to the lines, automatically. Is there some script or funtion to do it??? Thank you so much!! On Feb 26, 3:38=A0pm, "Diego calatrabas" <diegoobrad...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > =A0 =A0 I would like to plot some (10 or 20) graphics in the > same figure. I would like to get this lines with the text of > the equaton between the lines or close to the lines, > automatically. > Is there some script or funtio...

how to solve an equation numerically?
Specifically, i need to find 2 roots of an equation ln(x) = a*x, where 0<a<1/e. In Matlab, i write smth like this: root1 = fzero(@(x)log(x)-a*x, [1, 1/a]); root2 = fzero(@(x)log(x)-a*x, [1/a, 2/a/a]); How can i do this in SAS? ...

Lowercase numerals in Palatino
Previously, I was working with MikTeX distribution (less than a year old), and had the Palatino font installed. When I loaded Palatino, lowercase numerals were used automatically. After a hard drive crash, I had to reinstall MikTeX, and I don't think that I've done anything differently. But, now when I load Palatino, I get uppercase numerals. I'm at a loss because I wasn't trying to do anything special. Does anyone know what's happened? Code is below. Thanks, Adam \font\palr=pplr \font\palb=pplb \palr 1234567890 \bye ...

math equations reader
Hello, I am trying to store math equations in a format that would be readable on Palm OS. This is what I tried so far - I used Microsoft Word (Equations editor) and Acrobat Writer to store the equations in a pdf format and I downloaded the Acrobat Reader for Palm OS (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readerforpalm.html) Although I could read the document on my desktop just fine, the equations were all unreadable on my Palm - I assume some fonts were missing but I don't know how to fix it. Any suggestions ? Should I try Documents to Go and keep it in the Word forma...

Bold text and math
I'm trying to make a quick and dirty command that will allow me to put answers into the multiple choice section of a test I'm writing with them showing up as regular text when I print it out, but then switch them to bold when I want to make the answer key. I've got the ifthenelse stuff working, but the issue now is that I'd like both text and maths to be bold in the answer key. The command I am currently using is \newcommand{\citem}[2]{\ifthenelse{\boolean{showanswers}} {\item[\bnum] \textbf{#1 --- #2}}{\item #1}} This get's all the text of course, but none of the maths. Is there solution that will turn everything bold, regardless of what the environment of #1 and #2 are? David Klassen schrieb: > I'm trying to make a quick and dirty command that will allow me to put > answers into the multiple choice section of a test I'm writing with them > showing up as regular text when I print it out, but then switch them to > bold when I want to make the answer key. > > I've got the ifthenelse stuff working, but the issue now is that I'd like > both text and maths to be bold in the answer key. The command I > am currently using is > > \newcommand{\citem}[2]{\ifthenelse{\boolean{showanswers}} > {\item[\bnum] \textbf{#1 --- #2}}{\item #1}} > > This get's all the text of course, but none of the maths. Is there > solution that will turn everything bold, regardless of what the > environ...

Spacing between text and equations.
Hello All, I am trying to decrease the amount of vertical white space that LaTeX allocates beween the ending of a text paragraph and the begining of an equation. I am sure it is some little known length parameter that one adjusts through \addtolength I did some searching around and I was unable to find it. Also, is there a list somewhere that contains all the parameters that can be controlled via the \addtolength command ? Thank you, Ashok On 02-06-2005 18:04, nils_von_nostrand@yahoo.com wrote: > I am trying to decrease the amount of vertical white space that LaTeX > allocates beween the ending of a text paragraph and the begining of an > equation. I am sure it is some little known length parameter that one > adjusts through > \addtolength > > I did some searching around and I was unable to find it. > > Also, is there a list somewhere that contains all the parameters that > can be controlled via the \addtolength command ? \abovedisplayskip Read also Herbert Voss' Math Mode, which you'll find at CTAN at info/math/voss See the section 11.5.1. Best regards, Jose Carlos Santos nils_von_nostrand@yahoo.com writes: > I am trying to decrease the amount of vertical white space that LaTeX > allocates beween the ending of a text paragraph and the begining of an > equation. I am sure it is some little known length parameter that one > adjusts through \addtolength If you are being literal, then that is a mistake. An eq...

Tabulating equations from text
Hi, I am writing a section of text that contains a number of equations, and I would like to be able to extract the most important ones and tabulate them for easy reference. I'm looking for something like this: ---------------------------------------------- Cost of gummi bears C = n * p (3.1) Rate of tooth decay R = nt / x (3.7) Distribution of sugar f = xyz + g(y) (3.11) ---------------------------------------------- Ideally, I would write the equation once and have it appear at the proper location in the text, as well as in the table. I was not able to find any packages that looked promising, and I came up empty in Google groups. Here's what I came up with on my own. For each equation, I define a command, e.g.: \newcommand*{\candycost}{C = n p} Then, to insert the equation in the text I write: \begin{equation} \label{eqn:candycost}% \candycost \end{equation} And to insert it in the table I write: \begin{tabular}{llr} Cost of gummi bears & $\displaystyle \candycost$ & (\ref{eqn:candycost})\\ Rate of tooth decay & $\displaystyle \decayrate$ & (\ref{eqn:decayrate})\\ Distribution of sugar & $\displaystyle \sugardist$ & (\ref{eqn:sugardist}) \end{tabular} However, I encountered a problem doing this. Suppose I write the following: \newcommand*{\candycost}{C &= n p} \newcommand*{\decayrate}{R &= \frac{n t}{x}} \begin{align} \candycost \\ \decayrate \end{align} So far, so good. Ev...

Web resources about - Palatino numerals in maths equations? - comp.text.tex

Equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mathematics , an equation is a formula of the form A = B , where A and B are expressions that may contain one or several variables called ...

UNSW research finds happy people do not live longer when ill health is removed from equation
Research investigated the conventional wisdom that happier people lived longer, and found there was much more to the story.

An equation that debunks conspiracy theories
... Grimes decided to try to create a mathematical measure for just how stupidly implausible that idea is—a sort of conspiracy probability equation. ...

Joe Biden and the Cold Equations
Looking at @FoxNews @BillKristol & @WSJ takes on Biden non-run, gotta wonder: Was it all an elaborate practical joke at GOP media's expense? ...

Community is king: a simple equation
... has been for some time. But what is community? Community, from the perspective of marketing and especially social media marketing, is an equation: ...

How to solve the STEM gender equality equation
It's common knowledge that women are underrepresented in STEM careers. What's less clear is what businesses can do to better attract and retain ...

Math whizzes recalculate beer-foaming equation
Just in time for St. Patty's, mathematicians from Ireland figure out how to put a better, cheaper head on your Guinness.

Page Thirty Three launches Tactile Equations homeware line
Australian design brand Page Thirty Three has released homeware collection Tactile Equations, which requires owners to 'complete' objects themselves ...

The Surprise Equation: Low Carb + Gluten-Free = Better Bread
Next time you dine out at a restaurant that serves a free breadbasket, watch the people around you. You’ll see some of your fellow diners eye ...

The People Equation in Shifting to a Customer-Obsessed Business
It's not news that the digitally-empowered customer is changing our world. What is news is (1) the pace needed to catch-up to an extremely dynamic ...