PDF output with pst-pdf

Hello all,

pst-pdf manual says I can use include graphics with eps files so I try
for example:
\begin{figure}[ht]
\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=0.6\textwidth]{figures/kripke.eps}
\caption{Representation of Kripke Structure Example}
\label{fig:kripke}
\end{center}
\end{figure}

However, when pdflatex gets here:
Error: pdflatex (file figures/kripke.pdf): cannot find image file
 ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Paulo Matos

0
pocmatos (144)

On 21-09-2007 10:16, Paulo Matos wrote:

> pst-pdf manual says I can use include graphics with eps files so I try
> for example:
> \begin{figure}[ht]
> \begin{center}
> \includegraphics[width=0.6\textwidth]{figures/kripke.eps}
> \caption{Representation of Kripke Structure Example}
> \label{fig:kripke}
> \end{center}
> \end{figure}
>
> However, when pdflatex gets here:
> Error: pdflatex (file figures/kripke.pdf): cannot find image file
>  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>
> Any suggestions?

Yes. Read the "Usage" section of the pst-pdf package *before* posting
here questions such as the one above.

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos
0
jcsantos (1101)
9/21/2007 9:32:29 AM
On Sep 21, 10:32 am, Jos=E9 Carlos Santos <jcsan...@fc.up.pt> wrote:
> On 21-09-2007 10:16, Paulo Matos wrote:
>
> > pst-pdf manual says I can use include graphics with eps files so I try
> > for example:
> > \begin{figure}[ht]
> > \begin{center}
> > \includegraphics[width=3D0.6\textwidth]{figures/kripke.eps}
> > \caption{Representation of Kripke Structure Example}
> > \label{fig:kripke}
> > \end{center}
> > \end{figure}
>
> > However, when pdflatex gets here:
> > Error: pdflatex (file figures/kripke.pdf): cannot find image file
> >  =3D=3D> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Yes. Read the "Usage" section of the pst-pdf package *before* posting
> here questions such as the one above.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jose Carlos Santos

You could take a look at the latest version of chemscheme for a
working example with instructions.

Joseph wright

0
joseph.wright (1875)
9/21/2007 10:06:45 AM
On Sep 21, 10:32 am, Jos=E9 Carlos Santos <jcsan...@fc.up.pt> wrote:
> On 21-09-2007 10:16, Paulo Matos wrote:
>
> > pst-pdf manual says I can use include graphics with eps files so I try
> > for example:
> > \begin{figure}[ht]
> > \begin{center}
> > \includegraphics[width=3D0.6\textwidth]{figures/kripke.eps}
> > \caption{Representation of Kripke Structure Example}
> > \label{fig:kripke}
> > \end{center}
> > \end{figure}
>
> > However, when pdflatex gets here:
> > Error: pdflatex (file figures/kripke.pdf): cannot find image file
> >  =3D=3D> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Yes. Read the "Usage" section of the pst-pdf package *before* posting
> here questions such as the one above.

Aren't you being a bit rude? I hope a good night sleep solves that!
Anyway, I read it *before* posting, however, I didn't *understand* it.
I don't know much about bounding boxes, pages, blablabla. I just want
to include a simple image and when I *read* the manual *before*
posting, it said that EPS file were supported using includegraphics.

Best regards,

Paulo Matos

> Best regards,
>
> Jose Carlos Santos

0
pocmatos (144)
9/21/2007 10:07:39 AM
On 21-09-2007 11:07, Paulo Matos wrote:

>>> pst-pdf manual says I can use include graphics with eps files so I try
>>> for example:
>>> \begin{figure}[ht]
>>> \begin{center}
>>> \includegraphics[width=0.6\textwidth]{figures/kripke.eps}
>>> \caption{Representation of Kripke Structure Example}
>>> \label{fig:kripke}
>>> \end{center}
>>> \end{figure}
>>> However, when pdflatex gets here:
>>> Error: pdflatex (file figures/kripke.pdf): cannot find image file
>>>  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>>> Any suggestions?
>> Yes. Read the "Usage" section of the pst-pdf package *before* posting
>> here questions such as the one above.
>>

> Aren't you being a bit rude? I hope a good night sleep solves that!

I had one, thanks.

> Anyway, I read it *before* posting, however, I didn't *understand* it.
> I don't know much about bounding boxes, pages, blablabla.

And you don't need to know that to solve your problem.

> I just want
> to include a simple image and when I *read* the manual *before*
> posting, it said that EPS file were supported using includegraphics.

Yes. And it also says *how* to do it, at the "Usage" section.

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos
0
jcsantos (1101)
9/21/2007 11:28:01 AM
Paulo Matos schrieb:
>>> pst-pdf manual says I can use include graphics with eps files so I try
>>> for example:
>>> \begin{figure}[ht]
>>> \begin{center}
>>> \includegraphics[width=0.6\textwidth]{figures/kripke.eps}
>>> \caption{Representation of Kripke Structure Example}
>>> \label{fig:kripke}
>>> \end{center}
>>> \end{figure}
>>> However, when pdflatex gets here:
>>> Error: pdflatex (file figures/kripke.pdf): cannot find image file
>>>  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
>>> Any suggestions?

>> Yes. Read the "Usage" section of the pst-pdf package *before* posting
>> here questions such as the one above.

> Aren't you being a bit rude? I hope a good night sleep solves that!
> Anyway, I read it *before* posting, however, I didn't *understand* it.
> I don't know much about bounding boxes, pages, blablabla. I just want
> to include a simple image and when I *read* the manual *before*
> posting, it said that EPS file were supported using includegraphics.

You will have to describe what you already tried - or what you did not
understand.

As for your question:

1.) There is an pst-pdf-example.tex that is produced if you run latex on
  the pst-pdf.ins which you can download from ctan. There you will find,
among other code,

	\begin{postscript}
	  \includegraphics{picture.eps}
	\end{postscript}

2.)(re)read section 2.2 of the documentation with special attention to
the last paragraph.

hth
Patrick
On Sep 21, 12:32 pm, Patrick Heinze <freeflyer1...@arcor.de> wrote:

> >> Yes. Read the "Usage" section of the pst-pdf package *before* posting
> >> here questions such as the one above.
> > Aren't you being a bit rude? I hope a good night sleep solves that!
> > Anyway, I read it *before* posting, however, I didn't *understand* it.
> > I don't know much about bounding boxes, pages, blablabla. I just want
> > to include a simple image and when I *read* the manual *before*
> > posting, it said that EPS file were supported using includegraphics.
>
> You will have to describe what you already tried - or what you did not
> understand.
>
> As for your question:
>
> 1.) There is an pst-pdf-example.tex that is produced if you run latex on
>   the pst-pdf.ins which you can download from ctan. There you will find,
> among other code,
>
>         \begin{postscript}
>           \includegraphics{picture.eps}
>         \end{postscript}
>
> 2.)(re)read section 2.2 of the documentation with special attention to
> the last paragraph.
>
> hth
> Patrick

Part of this is, I believe, slightly confusing.  The documentation
says:

While creating the output only code from inside a pspicture or
postscript environment
is considered.

So i thought for a long time that you had to use a special environment
for using pst-pdf.  However, this is not the case, as it will
successfully handle something like:

\begin{figure}
\psfrag{something-here}
\includegraphics{an-eps-file}
\caption{An example}
\end{figure}

I assume that the statement in the documentation:

PostScript graphics files, which are passed as parameter of an
\includegraphics statement, too are included into the \PDFcontainer
file.

indicates this, but as I say the previous sentence in the manual
doesn't mention \includegraphics.

Joseph Wright

0
joseph.wright (1875)
9/21/2007 12:25:41 PM

> >> Yes. Read the "Usage" section of the pst-pdf package *before* posting
> >> here questions such as the one above.
> > Aren't you being a bit rude? I hope a good night sleep solves that!
> > Anyway, I read it *before* posting, however, I didn't *understand* it.
> > I don't know much about bounding boxes, pages, blablabla. I just want
> > to include a simple image and when I *read* the manual *before*
> > posting, it said that EPS file were supported using includegraphics.
>
> You will have to describe what you already tried - or what you did not
> understand.
>
> As for your question:
>
> 1.) There is an pst-pdf-example.tex that is produced if you run latex on
>   the pst-pdf.ins which you can download from ctan. There you will find,
> among other code,
>
>         \begin{postscript}
>           \includegraphics{picture.eps}
>         \end{postscript}
>
> 2.)(re)read section 2.2 of the documentation with special attention to
> the last paragraph.
>
> hth
> Patrick

To be fair to the OP, I'm not sure that the documentation is
absolutely clear.  The last paragraph of section 2.2(c) in the
documentation starts with the sentence:

While creating the output only code from inside a pspicture or
postscript environment is considered.

Which I'd taken to mean that every \includegraphics that you wanted
processed had to be inside a pspicture or postpicture block. However,
the package will work with an \includegraphics{some-eps-file}
statement even if it is *not*  within a \begin{postscript} ...
\end{postscript} block.  Yes, that is clear when you read the example
file fully, but I'm not sure that it is as obvious as it could be.

Joseph Wright

0
joseph.wright (1875)