pdf to dvi to pdf?

I need help with what seems to be a simple problem.
I have a collection of pdf manuscript to submitt to a on-demand publisher.
They want them to be:
(1)6in x 9in with 1/2in margins allound
(2) and embedded fonts.

The problem is there are:
(1) 8.5in x 11in with 1in margins
(2) and the fonts aren't embedded.

Perl pdf mod is one possibility, what would be involved with doing this with LaTex?
I wanting to stay with open source solutions(Linux).

TIA,
David
0
editor736 (12)

editor@deepmeanings.com (David Jackon)  schrieb:

> I need help with what seems to be a simple problem.
> I have a collection of pdf manuscript to submitt to a on-demand
> publisher. They want them to be:
> (1)6in x 9in with 1/2in margins allound
> (2) and embedded fonts.
>
> The problem is there are:
> (1) 8.5in x 11in with 1in margins
> (2) and the fonts aren't embedded.
>
> Perl pdf mod is one possibility, what would be involved with doing
> this with LaTex? I wanting to stay with open source solutions(Linux).

Did I understand? You have a text in a pdf-document with a textwidth of
6.5in (8.5in-2in) and want to get a pdf-document with a textwidth of
5in? The line and pagebreaking should be changed?

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
Ulrike Fischer <news@nililand.de> wrote in message news:<Xns951275EACB968nililandnililandabcd@nililand.de>...

> Did I understand? You have a text in a pdf-document with a textwidth of
> 6.5in (8.5in-2in) and want to get a pdf-document with a textwidth of
> 5in? The line and pagebreaking should be changed?

Ulrike --
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posting.

Just to make sure we're on the same page here.

The orginal pdf "text" document is setup up to print on 8.5in x 11in
(1in margins) paper (not sure about header/footer).

But needs to be reformatted so that it will  printe on 6in x 9in paper
with:
Margins = 0.5in.
Gutter and header = .25in
Footer = 0.5in

Sorry for any confusion on my part.

Thanks again,
David
0
editor736 (12)
6/24/2004 3:22:52 PM
 editor@deepmeanings.com (David Jackon) writes:
>Ulrike Fischer <news@nililand.de> wrote...
>> Did I understand? You have a text in a pdf-document with a textwidth of
>> 6.5in (8.5in-2in) and want to get a pdf-document with a textwidth of
>> 5in? The line and pagebreaking should be changed?
>
>Just to make sure we're on the same page here.
>
>The orginal pdf "text" document is setup up to print on 8.5in x 11in
>(1in margins) paper (not sure about header/footer).
>

>But needs to be reformatted so that it will  printe on 6in x 9in paper
>with:
>Margins = 0.5in.
>Gutter and header = .25in
>Footer = 0.5in

so, as ulrike says, you need to reflow the text, and all.

both pdf and dvi are "final forms", and can't be reflowed.  you need
to go back to the sources of your pdf.
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

>> so, as ulrike says, you need to reflow the text, and all.
>>
>> both pdf and dvi are "final forms", and can't be reflowed.  you need
>> to go back to the sources of your pdf.
>
> Robin --
> OUCH, I didn't understand  Ulrike was saying  I had to go back to the
> orignal source documents. In that case my choices are (un)format text,
> XML or a text dump from PDF?
>
> What I'm looking at doing is publishing a collection of "public
> domain" books/mansuscripts from http://ccel.org and
> http://gutenberg.net.

Most of the documents available at gutenberg are available as plain
text. Converting that into a pdf book should be relatively simple. You
do not need to start from an already formatted pdf.

--
Aditya Mahajan
0
> so, as ulrike says, you need to reflow the text, and all.
>
> both pdf and dvi are "final forms", and can't be reflowed.  you need
> to go back to the sources of your pdf.

Robin --
OUCH, I didn't understand  Ulrike was saying  I had to go back to the
orignal source documents. In that case my choices are (un)format text,
XML or a text dump from PDF?

What I'm looking at doing is publishing a collection of "public
domain" books/mansuscripts from http://ccel.org and
http://gutenberg.net.

For instance the Kings James Bible(1611) or Matthew Henry's
"Concise" (Bible)Commentary both of which "tip the scales" at 1500+
pages.

Does LaTex have any utilities that would allow me to create a quick
"working"  tex file a a starting point?

TIA,
David
0
editor736 (12)

PDF PDF PDF
For anyone struggling to figure out how to create a PDF in SWX it's pretty simple but you may have to have the Bluebeam version of swx FIRST go to Tools>Options and check "Save as PDF" Then you can save them right from the save as dialog. Maybe I'm the only dumbass that could't figure that out! ;0) But it was in help under "PDF" An easier way is to download a program from www.pdf995.com that "prints" you files to a PDF foramat. This program works with SW and any other program you use to print with. "3d" <jmiller at marvelindustri...

PDF TO PDF/A
Hello, is it possible to convert a PDF file to PDFA file ? i tried the -dPDFA option and i vefy my pdf file with PDF longlife. I have an error. Thanks for help. ...

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

Convert PDF image to PDF text
Hi, I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? Thanx You will have to scan it using an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application and then create a PDF file. -- Don Vancouver, USA <WhiteLen@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1193737890.691267.165820@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a PDF file with image text documents. hence I can't search the > text. How can I convert it to searchable PDF file? > > Thanx > Any recommendation for OCR application? ...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

scanned image pdf to searchable text pdf
We have a lot of pdf files that are just scanned images of documents. How easy is it to change these into pdf's that we can search for specific words. I believe Adobe Acrobat Capture will do this when the document is originally scanned, but can it use pdf's that have already been created. If it can, can this process be automated to convert 100s of pdf files? Are there other alternatives to Adobe Acrobat Capture as it is not cheap for a large number of documents? I am new to this, so please keep it simple. Thanks for any help. Adrian HI, As you indicated, your pdf's are ...

convert PDF images to PDF text (OCR)
Hi, I have a book which was entirely scanned into a PDF, there are approximately 300 pages. The problem is that each page is an image of the paper page, not selectable text. How can I convert this PDF made of images to a text-selectable PDF? Or directly convert it to Word? I suppose I'll need some form of OCR. Thanks in advance, Raphael Yes, since you have an image, you need to OCR it into data. You will not have much luck with any formating info, but most OCR programs today to a pretty good job if the image is fairly clean . Larry T. larrynospam@nospamjbmsystems.com wrote in message...

PDF::Writer, create pdf and insert in other pdf file.
Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) the following code create a PDF: #!/usr/bin/ruby require 'pdf/writer' pdf = PDF::Writer.new pdf.text "Hello Matz", :font_size => 22 pdf.save_as "novo.pdf" ######################################## now I wanna save this pdf as a last page of a existing pdf. any tips? -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Ricardo Pog <ricardo85x@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi folks(wharever it mean my english is so bad...) > > > the following code create a PDF: > >...

PDF TO PDF MULTIPAGES
Hello, (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf It doesn't work. Is works with jpeg files: gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle.pdf Thanks for Help. Christophe BADET Christophe BADET wrote: > Hello, > > (gs 8.54 -Windows XP) > i try this to convert a pdf file to one pdf file per page: > > gs.exe -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -o c:\fic-%d.pdf -q c:\colle.pdf > It doesn't work. > Is works with jpeg files: > gs.exe -sDEVICE=jpeg -o c:\fic-%d.jpg -q c:\colle....

4x PDF Help
Hi Everyone -- we've launched a new question and answer site for all PDF questions. It's based on the highly popular technology platform used by StackOverflow.com, and provides a great environment for getting your questions answered and answering other people's questions. Check it out --> http://help.4xpdf.com/ Cheers, - Rowan. ...

Copy from a PDF to PDF
Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? Thanks in article YT2Fb.22892$vi2.19893@twister.auna.com, jesusp at jesusp@arrakis.es wrote on 12/20/03 1:09 PM: > Is it possible to copy a piece of text from a page (not the whole page) from > a PDF file and paste it into another PDF file in a desired position? - Yep - copy and paste. You may have to crop it first to get just what you want. And it may not paste into position - you need to move it around. - I suppose it depends on which ap...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an existing file. ...

PDF::API2
Hello All, I am new to PDF files so I don't really know if what I want to do is possible and how to use the PDF::API2 modules. I need to extract information from columns in a table ( I assume that PDF does not know anything about tables). What I was thinking of doing was finding the horizontal location of the header (I know what it should be), then extract all text that starts at that location. I have played around with the PDF::API2 module and read the 'Using PDF::API2 - The code' help page, however it doesn't show me how to extract information from an exi...

Web resources about - pdf to dvi to pdf? - comp.text.tex

AnyBizSoft Document Software: Easy & Powerful PDF, EPUB Software
AnyBizSoft offers the best document software (PDF software and EPUB software).

Free PDF Converter - Print to PDF with doPDF
Free PDF converter you can use to create PDF from any printable document. Download this free PDF printer right now and use it to convert to PDF. ...

AutoCAD DWG to PDF Converter: Convert DWG to PDF, AutoCAD to PDF Converter with AcroCAD
AutoCAD DWG to PDF Converter allows you convert DWG to PDF, DXF to PDF directly without need of AutoCAD.

Free PDF to Word Online - Convert PDF to Word for Free
Wondershare Free PDF to Word Online is an online PDF to Word converter, enabling users to convert native/encrypted PDF to Word file for further ...

Nitro - Create, Convert & Edit PDF Files
Create and edit PDF files with our award-winning PDF software for business professionals. Start creating, editing and collaborating with PDF ...

PDF Printer - novaPDF - Create PDF files
novaPDF is a PDF printer for Windows 7/Vista/XP that lets you create PDF files from any type of document. You can download novaPDF and create ...

PDFMate Free PDF Converter - Easily Convert PDF to Text/EPUB/Image/HTML/SWF
PDFMate Free PDF Converter is a 5-in-1 PDF program to easily convert your PDF to editable Text files, common images, EPUB eBooks, HTML files, ...

PDF Document Management and Content Management, Tips for PDF Authoring - PDFzone
PDF Document Management and Content Management Tips for PDF Authoring PDFzone

Planet PDF - The PDF User Community - Debenu
The most comprehensive, popular and independent site focused on Adobe Acrobat/PDF. Sponsored by Debenu, ARTS PDF, Quick PDF Library, Nitro PDF, ...

PDF Converter — #1 Free PDF Creator — PrimoPDF
Downloaded by 15+ million users. Get Nitro's PDF converter and quickly convert to PDF from 300+ file types. PrimoPDF — the 100% FREE PDF creator! ...