pdflatex with \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} creates soft pdfs

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.

If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf

while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf

I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue (apparently
not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).

The source codes are given here:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.tex
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.tex

Thanks a lot :)

0
Reply smart.spooky (122) 2/18/2009 9:18:33 PM

See related articles to this posting

pretentious_indifference <smart.spooky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.
>
> If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf
>
> while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf
>
> I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
> other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue
> (apparently
> not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).
>
> The source codes are given here:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.tex
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.tex

We should know what TeX distribution you are using. It seems that
you are lacking a Type1 version of the EC fonts, which is provided
by the CMSuper font package.

Ciao
Enrico
0
Reply gregorio (1367) 2/18/2009 10:23:20 PM

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:18:33 +0000 (UTC), pretentious_indifference
<smart.spooky@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.
>
>If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
>http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf
>
>while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
>http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf
>
>I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
>other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue (apparently
>not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).

Acrobat Reader 8 displays it pretty nicely, perhaps Adobe
has regressed in its handling to type3 PS fonts.

Your TeX system apparently fails to contain the EC fonts
(the default fonts for T1 encoding) in PS type1 (.pfb)
format. You can either use some other font family (Latin Modern
mimics CM and comes as .pfb files) or install the cm-super
package, which has all the EC fonts in .pfb form.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
0
Reply LookInSig (1085) 2/18/2009 10:36:00 PM
comp.text.tex 36696 articles. 70 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Puzzled by \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
I am happily writing my thesis in italian with \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}. Then I read the faq at http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=why-inp-font (Why bother with inputenc and fontenc?) And I thought: since they recommend it anyway, let's just use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} too. Except that quite unexpectedly (for me) this changed (not terribly but recognizably) the visual appearance of the document as previewed in acrobat: the charachters look slightly more "jerky". So the final question is: should I use it at all or not? If not during development for the final...

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in plain TeX?
I am happy with this LaTeX file: % this a LaTeX document \documentclass[12pt]{article} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \newfont{\mycmssbx}{cmssbx10 scaled 3000} \newfont{\myecsx}{ecsx1000 scaled 3000} \newcommand{\chaine}{L\AA H << D\^E\"E >> D\"O\ss} \begin{document} default \chaine\\ cmssbx~~~{\mycmssbx \chaine}\\ ecsx~~~{\myecsx \chaine}\\ \end{document} but with this plain TeX file: % This is a TeX document} \font\mycmssbx=cmssbx10 scaled 3000 \font\myecsx=ecsx1000 scaled 3000 \def\chaine{L\AA H << D\^E\"E >> D\"O\ss} \centerline{default \chaine...

Fuzzy output when using \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
I use MikTex and pdlatex. When I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in order to get swedish characters for input and hyphenation the .pdf output-file is of really low quality when I view it using Acrobat Reader. Why is this so? Staffan Svensson manne_puka@hotmail.com (Staffan Svensson) writes: [see subject] <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=type1T1+fuzzy-type3> cheerio ralf * Staffan Svensson (2003-08-04) writes: > I use MikTex and pdlatex. When I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in order > to get swedish characters for input and hyphenation the .pdf > output-fil...

Creating PDFs
Hi, this is slightly offtopic, but maybe you are able to point me to further links. I want to add an export-to-PDF filter to my app written in perl/tk. I create EPS with $canvas->Postscript and it works fine. Of course, eps can be easily converted to PDF using, for example, epstopdf, or one could embed epstopdf (a Perl script) in an application. Epstopdf, however, relies on ghostscript. I think that there should be a relatively easy way of creating a PDF file which embeds an EPS, but maybe I'm wrong. j. -- ...

Creating PDFs
Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? ....ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without needing to configure anything. On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:34:23 UTC, jp <jp@home.com> wrote: > Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? > > ...ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without > needing to configure anything. GhostScript. jp <jp@home.com> writes: >Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? >...ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without >...

Creating PDFs with tcl
Hi all, I’m looking for a tcl solution to create pdf documents. As far as I know, these documents do not have very sophisticated layout/typography requirements, however, I have to deploy the solution on Mac OS X (which excludes pdflib, I think) and I have to generate the document outline. Are there any tools that I can use via tcl? Thank you in advance -- Giorgio Valoti > Hi all, I=92m looking for a tcl solution to create pdf documents. > As far as I know, these documents do not have very sophisticated > layout/typography requirements, however, I have to deploy the solution &g...

creating CDs with pdfs
Hi, I am creating a CD which has PDF documents. I am creating this CD in a Mac OS X v10.2 environment. But when I put this in a Mac OS 9.x environment I find that the PDF files do not link to the Acrobat reader software. I have found a software called pdftyper which tells the Mac that it should open the pdf file with Acrobat reader Only problem with this software is that it only runs on Mac OS 9.x I need one for Mac OS X. Can anybody tell me there is a Mac OS X software that does this? Seemd ...

Creating PDFs in PHP
Hello all, I'm using 1 and 1 to host a website. I'm needing to create a PDF file dynamically using data from one of my MySQL databases, but it looks like 1 and 1 doesn't support the PDFlib library. I've also tried using some third-party software that can connect to a database over the network, but 1 and 1 doesn't allow connections to their databases outside of 1 and 1 sites. Does anyone know of any other options I have? For example, is there a way I could somehow include the PDFlib library in my web space and reference it from my PHP scripts or does it have to be compi...

Creating bookmarked PDFs
The Spectre clinical reporting system I wrote has built into it the capability of producing bookmarked PDFs. In some cases it will be able to do that for legacy systems and ad-hoc work. If you want to find out if it will work for you, then follow these two links. http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/roland/spectre/adhoc.html http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/roland/spectre/legacy.html ...

modified pdfs and pdflatex
I compile with pdflatex, so I often use pdf as a format to import graphs, tables and so on. I have a pdf file with the results of a statistical analysis. I opened it with Acrobat, and underlined a line with an important result. I did it by creating a box, filled in light grey, around the line, and then setting to opacity to 30%. I then resaved the file in Acrobat 5 format, to make sure it is compatible with pdflatex. Well, if I open the file with acrobat, everything is ok. However, when I import it into my latex document, in the final pdf of my whole document, that thing appears witho...

Software For Creating PDFs
It's starting to look like I'm going to get the new G5s for our production department. Yay! That's means I can move forward on the project of starting to submit PDF/X1-a files to our printing company instead of native Quark files, and save a bunch of money. So I have a couple of questions for all you experts: 1) Will we need any software other than Xpress 6 and Acrobat 6 Pro to create PDF/X1-a files? If so, what will we need? 2) After we get comfortable creating PDF/X1-a files, we are going to start accepting them from our advertisers. What's the best software for pref...

Creating PDFs from HTML files
Hello, I am wondering if there are any tools available (free or otherwise) that would allow me to convert html files into pdf documents. This software would need to be installed on my webserver which is running Windows Server 2003. My website generates reports in html format, and I would like to be able to display them in pdf format should the user want to view them in this way. Thanks. edahlke@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I am wondering if there are any tools available (free or otherwise) > that would allow me to convert html files into pdf documents. This > software wou...

The best way to create PDFs?
Hi, I find that the best way to create PDF's (because of size) is by a PS2 or PS3-printer driver and !PrintPDF. The same PDF - produced by different software: ArtWorks 2, PS3, PrintPDF: around 600 kB ArtWorks 2, dirrectly: around 1,2 MB Xara X on a Windows 7 machine: around 58 MB By the way: I don't understand why Xara X is so much slower as ArtWorks 2. A. In article <33e58082-c2b3-48b9-9d0d-af42675da856@p16g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>, Alexander Ausserstorfer <bavariasound@chiemgau-net.de> wrote: > I find that the best way to create PDF's (because of > siz...

Creating missing pdflatex.fmt
Hello everybody, I'm trying to install teTeX on an old notebook (Pentium I 166 MHz, 64 MB RAM, OS: Damn Small Linux). Most of the distribution's parts work fine, however pdflatex doesn't because the file pdflatex.fmt is missing. Having searched the web for this problem, I tried the following suggestion: bash>fmtutil --missing bash>fmtutil --all Neither of the two commands created the missing pdflatex.fmt file. I also copyied this file from the TeX Live distribution into the right directory, but it didn't work either, because pdflatex did not accept this fil...

creating PDFs with URL links
I have a fried who is trying to create a PDF doc from a Word doc. The Word doc contains URLs, but after creating the PDF the links no longer fucntion. Ideas? thanks ...

Creating pdfs of a found set.
FM8.5 Is it possible to loop this script to create a set of individual pdfs (by InvoiceID#)? Go to Layout (xxx) Print Setup Show Custom Dialog (PDF Option) If (Get ( Last message choice) = 1 Save Records as PDF Current Else If (Get ( Last message choice) = 2 Save Records as PDF Browsed Else if (Get ( Last message choice) = 3 Exit Script End If Go to Original Layout The Found Set is Order Status = "Shipped" Invoice Status = "" ("" here means empty) Not sure I understand 'Loop' protocol Thanks Matthew In article <069d2186-cb8e-4313-b505-5d...

Creating tagged PDFs with LaTeX
I've finally got my first eBook book done in LaTeX, except for one problem. I always produce tagged PDFs, for accessibility, but I don't know how to do this with LaTeX. (I'm using the memoir class.) Is there any way to do this? Thanks, Ian -- The charge may be true, but I do not resent it, for I smoke the Arcadia Mixture, and am consequently indifferent to abuse. (J.M. Barrie) http://www.aspipes.org/ http://www.bookstacks.org/ On Sep 1, 1:42 am, Lance Manyon <rastall...@gmail.com> wrote: > I've finally got my first eBook book done in LaTeX, except for one > pr...

Which soft to create a digital library ?
Hi, i've to create a digital library. Here's the description of my needs : I have to scan many books. Each page must be OCRized and convert into one pdf file. All the pages of one book are put in one mac folder (one different folder per book). Then all the pdf files must be indexed and an operator will create manually an identity card for each book. Each card is made of title, author, date, abstract, ... The operator set a link between this card and the folder that enclosed the pdf files of the book. The end user uses a web page to enter the search criteria he wishes : title...

Order of encodings in \usepackage...{fontenc}
I looked at the latest fntguide.tex from CTAN, and it does not define what is the effect of the order of encodings in e.g. \usepackage[OML,LHE,OT2,LGR,T2A,X2,XS,C40,C10,C90,LTA,LCY,TS1,LDV,LTL,LTG,LET,MKR,T3,LUC,OT1,T1]{fontenc} It is defined that the last entry is special, but what are the effects of reordering the other declarations? Thanks, Ilya P.S. How would one create a document like languages.ps.gz from the unicode package? There is no source... Would one include a line like the above one? P.P.S. The document fntguide.tex claims that *Default declarations (th...

how to create DVI output with pdflatex?
Hi, I am working on a TeX document with a lot of PNG graphics. The PDF output with pdflatex works fine, but for better control I would like to create a DVI output file with source specials. My questions: 1) How do I tell pdflatex to create a DVI file instead of PDF? 2) How can I use PNG graphics in DVI files (without converting them to EPS manually)? Thanks, Michael heegy@heegy.de (Michael Heeg) wrote: > 1) How do I tell pdflatex to create a DVI file instead of PDF? \pdfoutput=1 > 2) How can I use PNG graphics in DVI files (without converting them to > EPS manually)? This depend...

T1 Fontenc in Plain TeX
Hi Can anyone please tell me, step by step, how to do the equivalent of this LaTeX code \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in plain TeX? I want to be able to write the special characters of the language directly into the .tex file without having to write slashes (just like I can do in LaTeX). And btw, Type 1 (Adobe Reader friendly) Computer Modern fonts would be nice. pdflatex seems to be using those by default. I just can't figure out which. Thanks in advance, Daniel Daniel Walders schrieb: > Can anyone please tell me, step by step, how to do the equivalent of > this LaTeX code > &g...

Create PDFs with Xerox DocuImage 620S
Any help would be appreciated. I have a Zerox DocuImage 620S. I am looking for software that will work with this scanner that would allow me to create pdf files. My operating system is Windows 98 although I could change that. It seems that there are no TWAIN drivers available for this scanner. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks "Terri" <Terri@spamaway.com> wrote: >Any help would be appreciated. I have a Zerox DocuImage 620S. I am looking >for software that will work with this scanner that would allow me to create >pdf files. My operating system is Windows 9...

Need to create a soft link to a file
Hello, I'm running on Mac OS X and need to create a soft link to a file. I tried both makealias() and link(). While makealias creates a Finder alias just fine my application that needs to read the reference file doesn't like this. link() produces 1) a hard link and b) gives me the following error: OSError: [Errno 45] Operation not supported I guess what I'm looking for is a way to call the Unix ln command from within my python program. How would I do this? Thanks, Mark Solved ;-) I've found the symlink() function which works for me. Thanks, Mark Markus wrote: &g...

creating working relative links with pdflatex
(maybe not not pdflatex/hyperref related) we produce interactive pdf documents with pdflatex and hyperref and want to link from one pdf file to another on the same media by relative links. We cannot get it to work with acrobat reader. There are two exceptions for this: 1. Using absolute links incl. DOS drive letters -- no more portable 2. Using relative links without any path, that means links within the same directory Is there a solution for this, i.e. a pdf preprocessor, a more intelligent pdf reader or else? -- Fritz Heinrichmeyer FernUniversitaet, LG ES, 58084 Hagen (Germany) tel...