pdflatex with \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} creates soft pdfs

Hi,

Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.

If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf

while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf

I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue (apparently
not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).

The source codes are given here:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.tex
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.tex

Thanks a lot :)

0
smart.spooky (122)

pretentious_indifference <smart.spooky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.
>
> If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf
>
> while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf
>
> I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
> other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue
> (apparently
> not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).
>
> The source codes are given here:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.tex
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.tex

We should know what TeX distribution you are using. It seems that
you are lacking a Type1 version of the EC fonts, which is provided
by the CMSuper font package.

Ciao
Enrico
0
gregorio (1367)
2/18/2009 10:23:20 PM
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:18:33 +0000 (UTC), pretentious_indifference
<smart.spooky@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.
>
>If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
>http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf
>
>while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
>http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf
>
>I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
>other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue (apparently
>not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).

Acrobat Reader 8 displays it pretty nicely, perhaps Adobe
has regressed in its handling to type3 PS fonts.

Your TeX system apparently fails to contain the EC fonts
(the default fonts for T1 encoding) in PS type1 (.pfb)
format. You can either use some other font family (Latin Modern
mimics CM and comes as .pfb files) or install the cm-super
package, which has all the EC fonts in .pfb form.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
0
LookInSig (1085)

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in plain TeX?
I am happy with this LaTeX file: % this a LaTeX document \documentclass[12pt]{article} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \newfont{\mycmssbx}{cmssbx10 scaled 3000} \newfont{\myecsx}{ecsx1000 scaled 3000} \newcommand{\chaine}{L\AA H << D\^E\"E >> D\"O\ss} \begin{document} default \chaine\\ cmssbx~~~{\mycmssbx \chaine}\\ ecsx~~~{\myecsx \chaine}\\ \end{document} but with this plain TeX file: % This is a TeX document} \font\mycmssbx=cmssbx10 scaled 3000 \font\myecsx=ecsx1000 scaled 3000 \def\chaine{L\AA H << D\^E\"E >> D\"O\ss} \centerline{default \chaine...

T1 Fontenc in Plain TeX
Hi Can anyone please tell me, step by step, how to do the equivalent of this LaTeX code \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in plain TeX? I want to be able to write the special characters of the language directly into the .tex file without having to write slashes (just like I can do in LaTeX). And btw, Type 1 (Adobe Reader friendly) Computer Modern fonts would be nice. pdflatex seems to be using those by default. I just can't figure out which. Thanks in advance, Daniel Daniel Walders schrieb: > Can anyone please tell me, step by step, how to do the equivalent of > this LaTeX code > &g...

Puzzled by \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
I am happily writing my thesis in italian with \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}. Then I read the faq at http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=why-inp-font (Why bother with inputenc and fontenc?) And I thought: since they recommend it anyway, let's just use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} too. Except that quite unexpectedly (for me) this changed (not terribly but recognizably) the visual appearance of the document as previewed in acrobat: the charachters look slightly more "jerky". So the final question is: should I use it at all or not? If not during development for the final...

Fuzzy output when using \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
I use MikTex and pdlatex. When I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in order to get swedish characters for input and hyphenation the .pdf output-file is of really low quality when I view it using Acrobat Reader. Why is this so? Staffan Svensson manne_puka@hotmail.com (Staffan Svensson) writes: [see subject] <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=type1T1+fuzzy-type3> cheerio ralf * Staffan Svensson (2003-08-04) writes: > I use MikTex and pdlatex. When I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in order > to get swedish characters for input and hyphenation the .pdf > output-fil...

Obfuscating PDFs typeset with TeX, or modifying the underlying text in a PDF
I'd like to create PDFs using (La)TeX which are readable by humans but cannot be read by naive automated techniques. For example, it should not be possible to copy plain text out of the document. One easy way to do this, I realize, would be typesetting the document normally then taking a screenshot of each page and creating a new document containing only images. Unfortunately, should the (human) reader want to zoom in, he would find that the resolution is limited and everything would become blocky. A while back I did a Google search to determine how to obfuscate PDFs in this way. I found ...

Creating "text behind picture" PDFs in Linux
The subject basically says it: I want to create "hidden text" or "text behind image" PDFs, as they are typically created by OCR applications (you see and print the bitmap scan, but for full text search there is a -- maybe imperfectly OCRd and therefore hidden -- text. I'm not talking about the OCR part, only the assembly of let's say a file blah.txt and a file blah.tiff into a single blah.pdf that acts like one of these files. I would preferably use GPL or other free utilities of course, and I use a recent version of Linux. TIA /ralph -- The truth can't ...

How to create a text file having multiple line texts?
How can I create a text file from the following cell variable having characters, not numeric data? a{1} = '1st one' a{2} = '2nd one' In the created text file, I like to have '1st one' in the first line and '2nd one' in the second line. Thanks in advance "Wes" wrote in message <ihnk4n$ncg$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > How can I create a text file from the following cell variable having characters, not numeric data? > a{1} = '1st one' > a{2} = '2nd one' > > In the created text file, I like to have '1s...

Software to turn image -PDFs to searchable-text-PDFs
I see different solutions to turn an image PDF to a word file (scansoft, pdf converter, abbyy pdf transformer, etc.). But what about a software that turns image-pdf in text-PDFs (image on the front, if you want, but text in the background)? Obviously there are always standard OCR packages (Omnipage and Finereader, comes to mind). But is there a software (apart Acrobat capture plug-in, which is a bit cumbersome) that does turn PDFs-image Files in PDF-text searchable files in an automatic way as the above products do for MS Word? TIA for any suggestion or hint. HI, Remeber, specially with a...

How to create some text widgets like text editor in VC++?
If create text editor use notebook widget, each text in the pages of the notebook can not be resized, and there is only one text visual each time. Now I want to create text editor like VC++' text, texts can be resized, and they can be dragged at will, and one or more can be visual. Could you tell me how can I do that? Thanks! "sunnyboyGuo@gmail.com" wrote: > > If create text editor use notebook widget, each text in the pages of > the notebook can not be resized, and there is only one text visual each > time. Now I want to create text editor like VC++' text, te...

Creating PDFs
Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? ....ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without needing to configure anything. On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:34:23 UTC, jp <jp@home.com> wrote: > Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? > > ...ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without > needing to configure anything. GhostScript. jp <jp@home.com> writes: >Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? >...ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without >...

text + text
What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? It doesn't seem very useful to me. What about making "text + text" as an equivalent for "text || text"? Most strongly-typed programming languages do this. And MS SQL Server too, I think (CMIIW). -- dave ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 1: subscribe and unsubscribe commands go to majordomo@postgresql.org Am Freitag, 8. Oktober 2004 12:57 schrieb David Garamond: > What is "text + text" supposed to do right now? Nothing. > What a...

text-text

Creating PDFs
Hi, this is slightly offtopic, but maybe you are able to point me to further links. I want to add an export-to-PDF filter to my app written in perl/tk. I create EPS with $canvas->Postscript and it works fine. Of course, eps can be easily converted to PDF using, for example, epstopdf, or one could embed epstopdf (a Perl script) in an application. Epstopdf, however, relies on ghostscript. I think that there should be a relatively easy way of creating a PDF file which embeds an EPS, but maybe I'm wrong. j. -- ...

Create Api to create document and add,edit,delete text and t
Sub: Create Api to create document and add, edit, delete text and table(add row, modify and delete row) Can somebody please tell me how to implement this using inheritence / composition / patterns ? Thanks, skrithikaa -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/. Krithika San wrote: > Sub: Create Api to create document and add, edit, delete text and > table(add row, modify and delete row) > > Can somebody please tell me how to implement this using inheritence / > composition / patterns ? Do your own homework. :) If you're stuck, let us know what you've tried and wha...

Web resources about - pdflatex with \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} creates soft pdfs - comp.text.tex

documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article} usepackage[T1]{fontenc} usepackage[utf8]{in - Pastebin.com
PASTEBIN - #1 paste tool since 2002 create new paste tools api archive faq PASTEBIN create new paste trending pastes sign up login my alerts ...