pdflatex with \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} creates soft pdfs

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.

If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf

while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf

I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue (apparently
not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).

The source codes are given here:
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.tex
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.tex

Thanks a lot :)

0
Reply smart.spooky (122) 2/18/2009 9:18:33 PM

See related articles to this posting

pretentious_indifference <smart.spooky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.
>
> If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf
>
> while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf
>
> I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
> other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue
> (apparently
> not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).
>
> The source codes are given here:
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.tex
> http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.tex

We should know what TeX distribution you are using. It seems that
you are lacking a Type1 version of the EC fonts, which is provided
by the CMSuper font package.

Ciao
Enrico
0
Reply gregorio (1366) 2/18/2009 10:23:20 PM

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:18:33 +0000 (UTC), pretentious_indifference
<smart.spooky@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Was just wondering if you can help me to fix this problem.
>
>If I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}, the resulting pdf is very soft:
>http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/withT1.pdf
>
>while if I remove it they seem to be OK:
>http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~al/noT1.pdf
>
>I have not seen this problem until I installed a new Acrobat Reader 9 but
>other people I collaborated with complained before about this issue (apparently
>not evident with Acrobat 5,6 or 7).

Acrobat Reader 8 displays it pretty nicely, perhaps Adobe
has regressed in its handling to type3 PS fonts.

Your TeX system apparently fails to contain the EC fonts
(the default fonts for T1 encoding) in PS type1 (.pfb)
format. You can either use some other font family (Latin Modern
mimics CM and comes as .pfb files) or install the cm-super
package, which has all the EC fonts in .pfb form.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
0
Reply LookInSig (1084) 2/18/2009 10:36:00 PM
comp.text.tex 36144 articles. 68 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Puzzled by \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
I am happily writing my thesis in italian with \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}. Then I read the faq at http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=why-inp-font (Why bother with inputenc and fontenc?) And I thought: since they recommend it anyway, let's just use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} too. Except that quite unexpectedly (for me) this changed (not terribly but recognizably) the visual appearance of the document as previewed in acrobat: the charachters look slightly more "jerky". So the final question is: should I use it at all or not? If not during development for the final...

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in plain TeX?
I am happy with this LaTeX file: % this a LaTeX document \documentclass[12pt]{article} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \newfont{\mycmssbx}{cmssbx10 scaled 3000} \newfont{\myecsx}{ecsx1000 scaled 3000} \newcommand{\chaine}{L\AA H << D\^E\"E >> D\"O\ss} \begin{document} default \chaine\\ cmssbx~~~{\mycmssbx \chaine}\\ ecsx~~~{\myecsx \chaine}\\ \end{document} but with this plain TeX file: % This is a TeX document} \font\mycmssbx=cmssbx10 scaled 3000 \font\myecsx=ecsx1000 scaled 3000 \def\chaine{L\AA H << D\^E\"E >> D\"O\ss} \centerline{default \chaine...

Fuzzy output when using \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
I use MikTex and pdlatex. When I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in order to get swedish characters for input and hyphenation the .pdf output-file is of really low quality when I view it using Acrobat Reader. Why is this so? Staffan Svensson manne_puka@hotmail.com (Staffan Svensson) writes: [see subject] <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=type1T1+fuzzy-type3> cheerio ralf * Staffan Svensson (2003-08-04) writes: > I use MikTex and pdlatex. When I use \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} in order > to get swedish characters for input and hyphenation the .pdf > output-fil...

Creating PDFs
Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? ....ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without needing to configure anything. On Tue, 2 May 2006 21:34:23 UTC, jp <jp@home.com> wrote: > Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? > > ...ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without > needing to configure anything. GhostScript. jp <jp@home.com> writes: >Is there a simple PDF creator which I can use on OS/2? >...ideally a WarpIn package that I can just install and use without >...

Creating PDFs
Hi, this is slightly offtopic, but maybe you are able to point me to further links. I want to add an export-to-PDF filter to my app written in perl/tk. I create EPS with $canvas->Postscript and it works fine. Of course, eps can be easily converted to PDF using, for example, epstopdf, or one could embed epstopdf (a Perl script) in an application. Epstopdf, however, relies on ghostscript. I think that there should be a relatively easy way of creating a PDF file which embeds an EPS, but maybe I'm wrong. j. -- ...

Creating PDFs in PHP
Hello all, I'm using 1 and 1 to host a website. I'm needing to create a PDF file dynamically using data from one of my MySQL databases, but it looks like 1 and 1 doesn't support the PDFlib library. I've also tried using some third-party software that can connect to a database over the network, but 1 and 1 doesn't allow connections to their databases outside of 1 and 1 sites. Does anyone know of any other options I have? For example, is there a way I could somehow include the PDFlib library in my web space and reference it from my PHP scripts or does it have to be compi...

Creating bookmarked PDFs
The Spectre clinical reporting system I wrote has built into it the capability of producing bookmarked PDFs. In some cases it will be able to do that for legacy systems and ad-hoc work. If you want to find out if it will work for you, then follow these two links. http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/roland/spectre/adhoc.html http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/roland/spectre/legacy.html ...

modified pdfs and pdflatex
I compile with pdflatex, so I often use pdf as a format to import graphs, tables and so on. I have a pdf file with the results of a statistical analysis. I opened it with Acrobat, and underlined a line with an important result. I did it by creating a box, filled in light grey, around the line, and then setting to opacity to 30%. I then resaved the file in Acrobat 5 format, to make sure it is compatible with pdflatex. Well, if I open the file with acrobat, everything is ok. However, when I import it into my latex document, in the final pdf of my whole document, that thing appears witho...

Software For Creating PDFs
It's starting to look like I'm going to get the new G5s for our production department. Yay! That's means I can move forward on the project of starting to submit PDF/X1-a files to our printing company instead of native Quark files, and save a bunch of money. So I have a couple of questions for all you experts: 1) Will we need any software other than Xpress 6 and Acrobat 6 Pro to create PDF/X1-a files? If so, what will we need? 2) After we get comfortable creating PDF/X1-a files, we are going to start accepting them from our advertisers. What's the best software for pref...