Placing art behind text

A designer is taking a job that was set up for Quark and moving it to LaTeX.
There are several eps-style art boxes that she placed behind text to
simulate text sitting inside a box.

The way she makes it cross pages is to place, say, the top half of the art
at the bottom of the page with some text, and a duplicate piece of art
showing the lower half of the box, at the top of the next page.

Is there a package that can be used in LaTeX to simulate this? Hopefully,
I'm explaining it correctly. Thanks in advance.

0
mike3597 (17)

Mike Wile wrote:
> A designer is taking a job that was set up for Quark and moving it to LaTeX.
> There are several eps-style art boxes that she placed behind text to
> simulate text sitting inside a box.
>
> The way she makes it cross pages is to place, say, the top half of the art
> at the bottom of the page with some text, and a duplicate piece of art
> showing the lower half of the box, at the top of the next page.
>
> Is there a package that can be used in LaTeX to simulate this? Hopefully,
> I'm explaining it correctly. Thanks in advance.

See if any of the packages listed at
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=abspos help you do what
you want.

-- Scott
0
ctt (1173)
4/24/2007 6:08:34 PM
in article 596vd2F2jpsgrU1@mid.individual.net, Scott Pakin at
scott+ctt@pakin.org wrote on 4/24/07 2:08 PM:

> Mike Wile wrote:
>> A designer is taking a job that was set up for Quark and moving it to LaTeX.
>> There are several eps-style art boxes that she placed behind text to
>> simulate text sitting inside a box.
>>
>> The way she makes it cross pages is to place, say, the top half of the art
>> at the bottom of the page with some text, and a duplicate piece of art
>> showing the lower half of the box, at the top of the next page.
>>
>> Is there a package that can be used in LaTeX to simulate this? Hopefully,
>> I'm explaining it correctly. Thanks in advance.
>
> See if any of the packages listed at
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=abspos help you do what
> you want.
>
> -- Scott
Thanks. Textpos does the job half way.  If I use:

\begin{document}

\section{HEAD}

\begin{textblock*}{32pc}(7.5pc,7pc)
\includegraphics{testbox.eps}
\end{textblock*}
text
\end{document}

It places the FULL box where I want it.

If I try to clip it by:

\begin{document}

\section{HEAD}

\begin{textblock*}{32pc}(7.5pc,7pc)
\includegraphics*[viewport=100 100 200 200]{testbox.eps}
\end{textblock*}
text
\end{document}

the box does not clip; it only shifts on the page.  Any ideas on what I'm
doing wrong? I am using Textures on a Mac.

0
mike3597 (17)
4/25/2007 2:04:43 PM
Am Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:04:43 -0400 schrieb Mike Wile:

> If I try to clip it by:
>

> \begin{document}
>

> \section{HEAD}
>
> \begin{textblock*}{32pc}(7.5pc,7pc)
> \includegraphics*[viewport=100 100 200 200]{testbox.eps}
> \end{textblock*}
> text
> \end{document}
>
> the box does not clip; it only shifts on the page.  Any ideas on what I'm
> doing wrong? I am using Textures on a Mac.

Use the option clip to clip.

--
Ulrike Fischer
0
news2@nililand.de wrote on 4/25/07 10:50 AM:

> Am Wed, 25 Apr 2007 10:04:43 -0400 schrieb Mike Wile:
>

>> If I try to clip it by:
>>

>> \begin{document}
>>

>> \section{HEAD}
>>
>> \begin{textblock*}{32pc}(7.5pc,7pc)
>> \includegraphics*[viewport=100 100 200 200]{testbox.eps}
>> \end{textblock*}
>> text
>> \end{document}
>>
>> the box does not clip; it only shifts on the page.  Any ideas on what I'm
>> doing wrong? I am using Textures on a Mac.
>
> Use the option clip to clip.
I've tried that, too. It doesn't change. I'll try contacting Blue Sky to see
if they know why. Thanks anyway.

0
mike3597 (17)
4/25/2007 5:10:42 PM
Am Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:10:42 -0400 schrieb Mike Wile:

>>> If I try to clip it by:
>>>

>>> \begin{document}
>>>

>>> \section{HEAD}
>>>
>>> \begin{textblock*}{32pc}(7.5pc,7pc)
>>> \includegraphics*[viewport=100 100 200 200]{testbox.eps}
>>> \end{textblock*}
>>> text
>>> \end{document}
>>>
>>> the box does not clip; it only shifts on the page.  Any ideas on what I'm
>>> doing wrong? I am using Textures on a Mac.
>>

>> Use the option clip to clip.

> I've tried that, too. It doesn't change. I'll try contacting Blue Sky to see
> if they know why. Thanks anyway.

It should work, but perhaps your viewer isn't able to show such
postscript tricks. Did you try dvips + ghostscript?

--
Ulrike Fischer
0

text + text

text-text

Input text and take text from different places?
I haven't been able to find anything on this, so here goes: Is it possible to be 'puts'ing text to one place on the terminal while 'gets'in from another? I have setup with VT100 control codes a basic layout for my MUD client, with a line of dashes ('-') going across the second from bottom line. I tried setting it up so that the thread that handles input from the MUD moves the cursor (via control codes) to line 22 (above the 'split' line) to add in the MUD output, and then move it back down to 24 so that the user typing sees their commands being typed down b...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

text 2 text

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Pages

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter...

Placing text in PICT, problem getting text all the way to the bottom
49G+ I am creating a PICT to view in my program. One of the things I am doing it placing labels on the drawing. I use a short line of code below to place a simple string in small text in the drawing: { # 40h # 49h } "Label" 1. \->GROB PICT ROT ROT GOR I want the text to be at the very bottom, every pixel counts kinda thing, and when I use { # 40h # 50h } I get an error and the text is two pixels up from the bottom. Any advice to get it all the way down to the bottom or this not possible on the 49G+. >I am creating a PICT to view in my program. One of the things I am &g...

Subscript consisting of big text placed on small text is not good looking: p_X
Is there any easy way to improve placement for subscript? Consider this example for probability density functions: $p_{X,Y}(x,y) = p_{X}(x) p_{Y}(y)$ Does it look good for you? How to move subscript a bit underneath? Robertas.Vilkas@gmail.com wrote: > Is there any easy way to improve placement for subscript? > Consider this example for probability density functions: > $p_{X,Y}(x,y) = p_{X}(x) p_{Y}(y)$ > > Does it look good for you? > > How to move subscript a bit underneath? > Have you looked at Herbert Voss's mathmode document: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/math/voss/mathmode/Mathmode.pdf Joseph Wright On Sep 29, 4:56 pm, Joseph Wright <joseph.wri...@morningstar2.co.uk> wrote: > Robertas.Vil...@gmail.com wrote: > > Is there any easy way to improve placement for subscript? > > Consider this example for probability density functions: > > $p_{X,Y}(x,y) = p_{X}(x) p_{Y}(y)$ > > > Does it look good for you? > > > How to move subscript a bit underneath? > > Have you looked at Herbert Voss's mathmode document: > > http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/math/voss/mathmode/Mathmode.pdf > > Joseph Wright Thank you for a good book. Can you be more specific? On what page of that book I should look? I found something in that book. For instance: $p_{X}(x)$, $p_{\mbox{X}}(x)$, $p_{\mathrm{X}}(x)$, $p_{\mbox{\vphantom{i}X}}(x)$. These are different, but the difference is onl...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

Fit text in a Text Box
Hello friends, I have a curious doubt, imagine I have a text box, and inside, a text that I dont know the lenght. Depending on the box's size and letter's size, I can fit the box. But the box's size is fixed, so I just can modify the size's letter. How can I be right with letter's size, if I dont know the lenght of string (text)? Is there any simple function for this case? Thanks in advance, greetings. Pedro Moreno On 10-08-31 04:25 PM, pedro moreno wrote: > I have a curious doubt, imagine I have a text box, and inside, a text > that I dont know the lenght. Depe...

placing text
Can anyone help a beginner? I am trying to set up a situation where by activating a link, a text phrase above the link changes. I am calling a function that uses a document.write statement, but the text is shown in a new window (replacing the current one) rather than on the same page. The code is below. Thanks for your time Phil <HTML> <HEAD> <SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> text=new String start=new String one=new String two=new String text="initial text value" function phase1(){ text="phase one text from function" document.write(text) } funct...

Highlighy text in Text Box
Using an InputBox, there is the option to *suggest* text (Default). It appears highlighted and can be accepted or replaced by the user. I am attempting to create my own input form which has one Text Box, one command button (cmdAccept ) and a simple label to tell the user to make an entry. What I cannot do is to mimic that suggested default input string. Can someone show me how to do it? The following code is from a test program with two forms. '#### this is on FrmMain Private Sub Option1_Click() ' Other Event selected - 14 character maximum With FrmBGOther ...

raw text, source text?
I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails I get is bad. It has capital �'s all over the place. I can't tell the pattern. At the end of most llines and other places. It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like �tm And something it sends looks like ·� � � � � � �, Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny �'s that look like the surf coming in. Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he told me...

\pubid text overlaps with text
Hello, While using the IEEEtrans file, I put the \pubid{0000--0000/00\$00.00~\copyright~2005} before the \maketitle as directed. However, the body of the text over laps with the pubid text. What I am doing wrong? Thanks. ...

Place Text
How can I place a text along a line string element with mdl program? Thanks Emiliano ...

text file not mac text
please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. I remember 'forked files' but no details...... Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii text? thanks. cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote: > please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII > text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. > I remember 'forked files' but no details...... > > Is there a II utilty to '...

Text in images to a text file
Hello, Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up on a web site but as text. Darren <bobblebob@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151612491.407262.124690@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com > Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in > images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend > to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up > on a web site but as text....

popup text when the pointer is on some text

matrix and text to a text file
Hi, I know some similar question have been solved before but I have been reading for a while and I didn't find the answer of my question so, I ask you. I want to create a text-file (.txt) where I will have some text and some matrixs. The format that i want is something like that: -Title- Name1. Name2. power(dbm): big matrix (12000X400) aprox frequency(hz) vector(1x12) aprox So, i created a m-file that can do this writing with fprintf every single character on the file using lots of for loops. It works good but if the matrix is that size it could take a time (about 7 min...

Text IN an Image To Straight Text?
Hi. (I'm not sure where to ask this so I'm trying a few newsgroups) I have some .jpg's of text documents. Is there a utility which will work like OCR in a scanner, helping to convert the text WITHIN the image to straight text? I don't have a printer working at the moment, or I'd print the .jpg's and then scan them using OCR. (The format doesn't necessarily have to be .jpg) Thanks in advance for any help GP Yes, if the image is not to bad a pic (not much noise and all that). Try http://www.twocows.com/windows.html I know they have a couple of ocr programs s...

Search for text in a text field
Hi When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in many records and then diplay the records which contains the input. Thanks in advance, Luke. There is a function called InStr that will probably do what you require. Cheers, Chris "Luke Jones" <luke_jones_82@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:24bb1508.0407080157.d587c63@posting.google.com... > Hi > > When posting a search box for the users, how do you take their input > and search whether or not it is contained in a text field in ...

Web resources about - Placing art behind text - comp.text.tex

Big Brands Placing Holiday Bets On Facebook Domain Sponsored Stories
On Black Friday , I posted an update on Facebook with an affiliate link to Amazon.com’s product page for Razor scooters. On December 6th, nearly ...

Facebook now placing related stories under personal posts
Many users are accustomed to seeing related posts when they click on a link post within Facebook News Feed. However, it appears that Facebook ...

Placing a little red Cottage on the Moon - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
... the exact top position of the Globe. The artwork with a cottage on the Globe is the first step within a larger project with the goal of placing ...

NYPD Kill Man by Placing him in Chokehold and Slamming Face to Sidewalk (R.I.P July 17, 2014) - YouTube ...
Horrible: 400 Pound Asthmatic Man Dies After NYPD Placed Him In A Headlock & Piled On Him! NYPD Kill Man by Placing him in Chokehold and Slamming ...

Red Cadeaux not dead: Injured horse survives Melbourne Cup 2015 - Winners, placings, last place & full ...
REPORTS indicate Red Cadeaux is “alive and well” and appears to have been stabilised after undergoing surgery for a leg injury.

Placing a value on the Mountain Lion OS
Placing a value on the Mountain Lion OS

Psychological injury claims placing stress on APS departments
Psychological injury claims are increasing APS insurance premiums.

2015 Melbourne Cup finishing order, where did my horse finish, placings, dividends, result - DailyTelegraph ...
MICHELLE Payne has ridden into histoy on the back of Prince of Penzance but what happened to the favourites?

2015 Melbourne Cup finishing order, where did my horse finish, placings, dividends, result - HeraldSun ...
MICHELLE Payne has ridden into histoy on the back of Prince of Penzance but what happened to the favourites?

Sydney University student newspaper Honi Soit pulled after placing vaginas on the cover
A UNIVERSITY student newspaper has been pulled from the shelves because of a controversial cover featuring 18 vaginas.