postscript and pdf missing base postscript fonts

I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing
firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them.

My first attempt met some objections, most nobably the absence
of embedded Times, Helvetica etc. All the other fonts (I
used a custom type 1 font for the body text) were embedded
in the pdf file.

I use teTeX 1.0.7 and ghostscript 7.05 to generate the
pdf through the dvips -> ps2pdf route. I am a little
reluctant to upgrade these so close to a deadline.

Indeed, Times and Helvetica were not embedded. When I
look at the psfonts.map file in $TEXMF/dvips/config,
I find indeed that for e.g. Times-Italic, a pfb file is
not indicated for the base postscript fonts.

On my (postscript) laserprinter this is not a problem,
I guess, because it probably has the base fonts loaded
in the hardware postscript RIP in the printer.

My questions are:

1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf mbed Type 1 fonts for
   the base postscript fonts.

2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate
   all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot ->
   pslatex -> dvips ?

3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their
   film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these
   fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based?

Thanks
Kreutzer

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, kreutzer wrote:

> I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing
> firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them.
>
> My first attempt met some objections, most nobably the absence
> of embedded Times, Helvetica etc. All the other fonts (I
> used a custom type 1 font for the body text) were embedded
> in the pdf file.
>
> I use teTeX 1.0.7 and ghostscript 7.05 to generate the
> pdf through the dvips -> ps2pdf route. I am a little
> reluctant to upgrade these so close to a deadline.
>
> Indeed, Times and Helvetica were not embedded. When I
> look at the psfonts.map file in $TEXMF/dvips/config,
> I find indeed that for e.g. Times-Italic, a pfb file is
> not indicated for the base postscript fonts.
>
> On my (postscript) laserprinter this is not a problem,
> I guess, because it probably has the base fonts loaded
> in the hardware postscript RIP in the printer.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf mbed Type 1 fonts for
>    the base postscript fonts.

For dvips, edit the .map file as explained in the manual, but
this may not

> 2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate
>    all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot ->
>    pslatex -> dvips ?
>
> 3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their
>    film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these
>    fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based?

This is not unreasonable, as the "base 13" fonts and even the
laserwriter 35 are normally available with any PS RIP, but you
need to be careful about the differences between the various
"clones".  One strategy is to embed the (free) URW fonts, which
are high quality and readily available with ghostscript or on
Linux, under their own names, which ensure they won't be substituted.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

0
aa056 (359)
10/6/2003 10:49:38 AM
kreutzer wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> 1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf mbed Type 1 fonts for
>    the base postscript fonts.
>
> 2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate
>    all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot ->
>    pslatex -> dvips ?

These are (almost) FAQ, please check the thread "Camera Ready Postscript
files"; in

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=E6UPa.11449%24ru2.1189555%40news20.bellglobal.com

I describe what worked for me.

> 3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their
>    film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these
>    fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based?

nope, they don't do that.

Cheers, Ren�

0
witte1 (3)
10/6/2003 2:51:48 PM
Rene Witte <witte@ira.uka.de> wrote in message news:<ckfgb.2445$oO4.279590@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> kreutzer wrote:
> > My questions are:
> >
> > 1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf embed Type 1 fonts for
> >    the base postscript fonts.
> >
> > 2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate
> >    all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot ->
> >    pslatex -> dvips ?
>
> These are (almost) FAQ, please check the thread "Camera Ready Postscript
> files"; in
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UT[snip]

Thanks for the answer.
In short, one has to use -Pdownload35 in the dvips command line.

Anyway, I don't think it's a frequently *answered* question,
googl'ing for Pdownload35 gave me two hits.
It's also a rather recent addition to dvips, my teTeX 1.0.7
does not have such a config file in $TEXMF/dvips/config.

I'll take the jump and upgrade teTeX (I hope I didn't change
too much in the systemwide tree) and try out this option.

> > 3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their
> >    film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these
> >    fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based?
>
> nope, they don't do that.

I was afraid of that.

Thanks again

Kreutzer

postscript to postscript conversion (based on .ppd files)
Hi all, Is it possible to convert postscript content generated based on one ..ppd file to postscript specific to another .ppd file?? Thank you, Mohammed Riyaz P. ...

print text to postscript/pdf
Hello. I am trying to either dump a string into a postscript file that I ultimately want to convert to a pdf. It looks like matlab supports printing figures to both pdf and postscript, but I have been unsuccessfull in printing a string to postscript/pdf or converting a file to postscript/pdf. I could do it manually, but I wanted to do it from the command line. Anyone have any suggestions? I thought about dumping it into a textbox in a figure window but I have too much text for that to be feasible. Thanks Chris Chris, Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same p...

Postscript to PDF with pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other
Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? On 14/04/2008, Sean Nakasone <seannakasone@yahoo.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a way to convert Postscript to PDF using pdf-tools, > pdf-writer, or other method? Any suggestions? ps2pdf is standard on any install of Ghostscript, at least on most flavours of Linux/BSD Farrel ...

Convert postscript to PDF or text in OSX
I understand that you can convert postscript files to pdf using some command line utility built into OSX. (When i was reading about PStill http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/3629 an Adobe Distill type of program for OSX $70. But the command is free.) What command do i use? % man pdf returned nothing. I actually want to convert postscript files to the simple text format. They are all text, columns and rows of names and numbers. The idea is to get test scores with associated ID#s into a spreadsheet. The text returned will have spaces instead of tabs so it will be clumb...

plain tex postscript symbol font
I'm running an experiment, trying to typeset some lecture notes with Plain = TeX in Palatino, and it occurred to me to use the symbol font also from Pos= tScript to typeset some maths (first order logic and some set theory), thus= effectively avoiding CM. Is someone aware of any previous attempt to defin= e all the `\mathchardef` mappings into the PostScript Symbol font? In other= words, is anyone aware of a source file setting up the glyphs to use the s= ymbol font in Plain TeX? Thanks in advance, Maybe you can try the file ofs-ps.tex from Petr Olšák’s OFS package (it i...

pretty print to postscript (or pdf or tex) for both code and pod
dear perl experts: yes, I have read the perlfaq, part 3. alas, I would like something that prints nicely like the enscript perl mode, but with the pod comments formatted nicely. when I use enscript -Eperl, the pod comments are just text, not nicely formatted. does a combined pretty-printer exist? sincerely, /iaw ivowel@gmail.com wrote: > dear perl experts: yes, I have read the perlfaq, part 3. alas, I > would like something that prints nicely like the enscript perl mode, > but with the pod comments formatted nicely. when I use enscript > -Eperl, the pod comments are jus...

pdf-writer Postscript Type 1 font handling problems
Folks/Admin, apologies for this cross post. I posted to the wrong group previously. Hi, I am trying to get pdf-writer to load up Postscript Type 1 fonts but am encountering a problem. Using the gettysburg.rb example as a base for my tests I have implented the following code changes: PDF::Writer::FONT_PATH.unshift(File.expand_path("Fonts")) p PDF::Writer::FONT_PATH PDF::Writer::FontMetrics::METRICS_PATH.unshift(File.expand_path("Fonts")) p PDF::Writer::FontMetrics::METRICS_PATH pdf.select_font("GillSan", :encoding => nil) pdf.text "The Gettysburg Addres...

Postscript vs. Emulated Postscript
I have constant need to print PDFs (with fonts embedded) to send to publishers for page proofs of books I paginate. Hence, I am in the market for a color laser printer which can print PostScript file. I see that emulated PS printers are cheaper. What are the disadvantantages of using emulated PS printers? Will they work with Mac machines if I put it on a network print server? When I read the printer specifications, they usually mention that it either has an "Emulated PS" or a built in PostScript engine with 130 (or so) fonts. This confuses me. -Why do they not mention the # of fonts supported by Emulated PS? - Why do they mention the # of fonts supported by true PS? Which Color laser printer would you recommend (that supports PS)? Thank you. -- MR Don't ever use printer fonts. No guarantee that fonts with the same name are really the same (News Gothic). Nowadays it's no problem to download fonts to the printer. The number of printer fonts is irrelevant - one needs just one font - Courier New for error messages. PostScript clones are not necessarily bad. Even original Adobe PS contains bugs. This PDF doc was printed by OKI 9600 HDN (Okidata), which uses an original PS3 interpreter: http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolorhigh.pdf The Web preview (250 kBytes) is: http://www.fho-emden.de/~hoffmann/a3gencolortest.pdf The results were better than expected - very good, but some unexpected lines which might be already hidden in the PDF. The color ...

Postscript to pdf
Hello, I'm doing a software to make an id card for a school club so i used TKINTER to make this software. So i can enter details like name, student number etc.. So finally i got a Postscript file the problem is that i want to make a pdf file do you have any ideas? "convert ps to pdf" Thank u regards In a message of Sun, 20 Sep 2015 09:20:10 -0700, Bala Ji writes: >Hello, > >I'm doing a software to make an id card for a school club so i used TKINT= ER to make this software. >So i can enter details like name, student number etc.. > >So fina...

Text in postscript
Hi all, I often insert MicroStation drawings into MS word documents by printing them using the emf.plt or pscriptc.plt plotter files. This works quite well, apart from the text. The text is not exported as text but is instead converted to shapes. They become very jagged and ugly. Does anyone know of a way of inserting MicroStation drawings into word which does not convert the text to shapes? Patrick I use the hpgl2 plot driver to make a plot file, then I use Viewcompanion plot file viewer ( this is very cheap package, even demo version for 30 days and is fully functional) to save as EMF enhanced meta file this even fixes the baground black back to white.. I then insert file into anyMSOffice product as insert picture from file .. I get perfect exact image and resolution especially text as I do in ustn in all office.products. and I do loads of maps for power point.. You could try ole but it's not as good.. BTW I did modify my hpgl2 driver for line weight strokes and higher resolution ie dpi.. but its the same as when I use it to plot with to paper.. The Viewer can save in a huge variety of formats even pdf and dxf..use google to find it.. Lorys "Patrick Janssen" <patrick@janssen.name> wrote in message news:1071041315.314935@hkpu01... > Hi all, > > I often insert MicroStation drawings into MS word documents by printing them > using the emf.plt or pscriptc.plt plotter files. This works quite well, > ...

The pgf package creates PostScript and PDF graphics directly in TeX
From the TeX Catalogue: PGF is macro package for creating graphics directly in TeX. Its usage is similar to PSTRICKS and the standard picture environment. Unlike PSTRICKS, it produces both PostScript and PDF output and works together with latex, dvips, pdftex, and pdflatex. This package was implemented by Till Tantau. This sounds like (and seems to be) an excellent package. I had never heard about it before I checked out the beamer (presentation) class and by chance noticed that it uses pgf [same author]. Is it just me not paying attention, or has this package never been announced? Best regards, Hans -- The UK (La)TeX FAQ - http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq The Not So Short ... - http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/lshort.pdf TeX at ODP - http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Typesetting/TeX/ Hans Fr. Nordhaug <hansfn@mi.uib.no> writes: >From the TeX Catalogue: > > PGF is macro package for creating graphics directly in TeX. Its usage > is similar to PSTRICKS and the standard picture environment. Unlike > PSTRICKS, it produces both PostScript and PDF output and works > together with latex, dvips, pdftex, and pdflatex. This package was > implemented by Till Tantau. > >This sounds like (and seems to be) an excellent package. that's what i thought. >I had never heard about it before I checked out the beamer >(presentation) class and by chance noticed that it uses pgf [same >author]. Is it just me not paying attention...

text to postscript
How are people converting ascii output files to postscript for the purposes of printing or eventually putting into pdf? I see the online SAS documentation refers to "pstext" but treats it like it was a native Unix utility. It is not. Can SAS itself do this in batch and if so I would want to specify margin sizes. Hi Roland, The DOS text processor (that's more than word processor) PC-Write can generate PS files from ascii files. I am (still) a fervent user of PC-Write (various versions) for about 17 years already (and developed many add-ons and printer drivers), I can read and ...

postscript and tex
Hello everybody, Looking for assistance, hope someone can help. I have a plain TeX file (a few actually but if I can fix one I can fix the lot I guess) which includes some diagrams which I have drawn in plain PostScript. To incorporate these in the TeX document I am using psfig. There are various different files of diagrams (let's call them diagram1.ps, diagram2.ps etc) and they use common macros, so I have put these macros in a separate file macros.ps and at the start of each diagram<n>.ps have used the command (macros.ps) run Now this works fine as far as viewing the files through Ghostview, however when I try to print the files they don't work. Any pages preceding the first diagram come through fine but the rest crashes. I have tried removing the "run" command and actually copying macros.ps into each diagram<n>.ps and this works. So, I do have a temporary solution to my problem; however it's not a good solution as it greatly increases the size of the diagram<n>.ps files, and also will make any future modifications extremely tedious. I wonder if perhaps the "run" command is included in the TeX output and then the printer can't find macros.ps. Does anybody know of any way to get the printer to find the required file? Or maybe it's possible for the compilation to actually copy macros.ps instead of quoting the "run" command? (Or, maybe this isn't the problem anyway - I have a very sketchy know...

Change in Font Scheme for Exported Postscript-based 3D Plots?
Hey All, We regularly create plot graphics using matlab, which we then export as postscript files for later inclusion in LaTeX documents. One feature of the process that we've been exploiting is the fact that characters are printed by referencing given fonts explicitly, rather than by being bitmapped. This feature is important because we find that we must often modify the characters, to, say, math expressions in axis labels, using the latex package psfrag. This procedure worked relatively well for matlab version 5.2 (and previous ones to that) for both 2d plotting via the matlab plot c...

postscript font
I have a copy of a postscript program that draws a lot of little symbols and I would like to put them in a table in a TeX file using \halign or something like that. I don't think it will work for me to try to use the epsf macros to include the little symbols into their places in the table. I think that I can probably create a PostScript font by imitating the examples in my old copy of the Adobe blue book. So, let's assume I have a PostScript font. What is the simplest and easiest way to make it available to Plain TeX? -- Ignorantly, Allan Adler <ara@zurich.csail.mit.edu> * Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT CSAIL. My actions and * comments do not reflect in any way on MIT. Also, I am nowhere near Boston. Am 16 Mar 2008 08:21:09 -0500 schrieb Allan Adler: > I have a copy of a postscript program that draws a lot of little > symbols and I would like to put them in a table in a TeX file using > \halign or something like that. I don't think it will work for me to > try to use the epsf macros to include the little symbols into their > places in the table. I think that I can probably create a PostScript > font by imitating the examples in my old copy of the Adobe blue book. > So, let's assume I have a PostScript font. What is the simplest and > easiest way to make it available to Plain TeX? Make a tfm (e.g. with afm2tfm). Put an entry for the font in your psfonts.map (with updmap): TFM-name FONTNAME <XXX.pfb ...

How do we change the font in a Type3 postscript while also keeping the original ascii text?
Hello, I have two questions of general interest. Suppose you receive the n-th postscript file of the following kind: %!PS-Adobe-2.0 %%Creator: dvips 5.516 Copyright 1986, 1993 Radical Eye Software %%Title: paper.dvi %%CreationDate: Wed Jul 6 13:24:47 1994 %%Pages: 59 %%PageOrder: Ascend %%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792 %%EndComments %DVIPSCommandLine: dvips paper.dvi -o paper.ps %DVIPSSource: TeX output 1994.07.06:1324 %%BeginProcSet: tex.pro /TeXDict 250 dict def TeXDict begin /N{def}def /B{bind def}N /S{exch}N /X{S N}B /TR{translate}N /isls false N /vsize 11 72 mul N /hsize 8.5 72 mul N /landp...

postscript
I'm working in Quark, and have a really large file, I want to print to postscript then distill the file so that the pdf will be really small, but from quark I do not have the 'save as .ps' option, only 'save as pdf', which doesn't help when since it saves as a 40MB file. I want to be able to email it. You can try reducing the file size all you want in acrobat but it will only go down a few megs and the quality becomes terrible. I need the printer descriptions either installed or turned on so that I can print to postscript - how and where do I do this? thanks -C In a...

Postscript
Hello, I have been trying to find a library to make the production os postscript file easier from our cobol programs. Finally, I have begun to write a library in OO cobol largely inspired from the C pslib library. I have just finished to prepare the interface of the different methods and write a few methods. Teh generation of postscript file could then be: invoke PSDoc "PSOpenFile" using z"myfile.ps" invoke PSDoc "PSMoveTo" using x, y invoke PSDoc "PSLineTo" using ... invoke PSDoc "PSCircle" using .... etc... which is - to me at least! - ea...

Mac Font Book and Computer Modern Postscript fonts
I have the complete collection of Computer Modern Postscript fonts obtained from a TeX download and stored as individual font files with names like CMxxxx in my OS 10.3.9 usr/Library/Fonts folder, and they work fine with TeXShop. I can't seem to add them to Font Book, however. When I try to add them to the Font column in Font Book using the "+" button, all their names appear in the Find dialog greyed out (other fonts are active as expected). Does Font Book not handle Postscript fonts? Or is there something special about these CM fonts that Font Book can't handle? ...

%%[Error: invalid font;PostScript program did not contain a font]%%
Has anyone seen this message from Acrobat (perhaps Acrobat 7.0) or an Acrobat plug-in? I realise it looks like a PostScript error, but it is a pop up message which appears in Acrobat 7.0. It is a Windows message with no caption, just an OK button. ---------------------------------------- Aandi Inston Please support usenet! Post replies and follow-ups, don't e-mail them. Aandi Inston wrote: > Has anyone seen this message from Acrobat (perhaps Acrobat 7.0) or an > Acrobat plug-in? > > I realise it looks like a PostScript error, but it is a pop up message > which appears ...

Need Cups-PDF to actually create PDF not Postscript
From: CUPS 127.0.0.1:631 Description: Cups-PDF Location: RN Printer Driver: Generic postscript color printer rev4 Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published. Device URI: cups-pdf:/ Hi All, I am using CentOS 5.5. I installed cups-pdf-2.4.6-1.el5.i386.rpm and now have the nicest CUPS to Postscript printer. Okay, I need that to use with HylaFAX, but I also need a print to PDF (not Postscript). What did I do wrong? Many thanks, -T On 2010-06-05, Todd <todd@invalid.com> wrote: > From: CUPS 127.0.0.1:631 > Description: Cups-PDF > Location: RN > Printer...

[FONT] create postscript command from a font pfa/pfb
Hello, I have a postscript font (the two files .pfa and .pfb). I want to use this font, but at only one size, into several postscript printers. I don't know how to load font into those printers. So I wonder if it is possible to create postsctip functions (new keys into the dictionnary) from this font to have static caracters. For example the code "1 drawfromstaticfont" will draw the caracter '1'. Or maybe something like " drawfromstaticfont_1 ". So what I search for : - create a postscript file which contains definition of some functions. This file can be inse...

PostScript Software for non-PostScript printer?
Hi everyone! I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? Thanks for being here! Stu "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in news:Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net: > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my > WinXPsp2 system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? > > Thanks for being here! > > Stu > > > Ghostscript. http://www.ghostscript.com/ In article <Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote: > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 > system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? Adobe Acrobat. "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:Mk5ce.593$V01.504@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net... > Hi everyone! > > I'm curious about PostScript software that I could install on my WinXPsp2 > system. Anyone able to offer some suggestions? > > Thanks for being here! > > Stu > Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking about the Epson PS software for non-PS printers...long before Acrobat. You people are great. I enjoy coming here. Stu Unknown wrote: > "Stuarrt B. Henlis" <shenlis@earthlink.net> wrote in > ...

Get Font's fullname given postscript font
Hi, I am a newbie to work on Postscript fonts. I want to convert the postscript font name to it's full font name, understandable by the HTML style "font-family" attribute. For e.g. if the postscript font name is "BodoniMTCondensed", I want to convert it as the font's full name as "Bodoni MT Condensed". I am working on .Net framework. Please let me know if this is possible and how to go about it? Regards, Parag. In article <1150095862.437458.265670@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, paragvm@gmail.com says... > Hi, > > I am a newbie to wor...

Web resources about - postscript and pdf missing base postscript fonts - comp.text.tex

PostScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The concepts of the PostScript language were seeded in 1976 when John Warnock was working at Evans & Sutherland , a computer graphics company. ...

John Eligon - A postscript to my interview with white... - Facebook
A postscript to my interview with white nationalist, Paul Craig Cobb ... I had knocked on doors in high-crime neighborhoods, spent time interviewing... ...

Flickr: PostScript.EdmontonJournal's Photostream
Explore PostScript.EdmontonJournal's photostream on Flickr. This user has 138 photos on Flickr.

Admire Rakti death a sad Cup postscript
... and died after finishing last in the Melbourne Cup. Favourite Admire Rakti collapsed and died after the Melbourne Cup, adding a sad postscript ...

A postscript to 'The Killing Season': Was there a coup d'etat over mining tax?
Sarah Ferguson's ABC series left one crucial question unanswered.

TFS Kanban talk in Indianapolis, postscript
I've been wanting to write this since giving a talk last week at the Indianapolis TFS user group. Paul Hacker started this group and leads the ...

Potter postscript: 10 great, and 10 not-so-great, things about Harry Potter (Plus: The best scenes) ...
As the Harry Potter film series reaches the end of the story, we look back on the highs and lows of the Harry Potter phenomenon.

Postscript from Penn State-Loyola Maryland men's lacrosse
The Loyola Maryland men&rsquo;s lacrosse team likes to pepper opposing goalkeepers with shots. But the offense prefers to have a little production ...

Sunday Classics preview: A Leon Fleisher postscript
... this July 1956 Epic Debussy-Ravel LP. by Ken No, no, Fleisher hasn't died at least not that I know. What I mean in the post title is a "postscript" ...