postscript and pdf missing base postscript fonts

I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing
firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them.

My first attempt met some objections, most nobably the absence
of embedded Times, Helvetica etc. All the other fonts (I
used a custom type 1 font for the body text) were embedded
in the pdf file.

I use teTeX 1.0.7 and ghostscript 7.05 to generate the
pdf through the dvips -> ps2pdf route. I am a little
reluctant to upgrade these so close to a deadline.

Indeed, Times and Helvetica were not embedded. When I
look at the psfonts.map file in $TEXMF/dvips/config,
I find indeed that for e.g. Times-Italic, a pfb file is
not indicated for the base postscript fonts.

On my (postscript) laserprinter this is not a problem,
I guess, because it probably has the base fonts loaded
in the hardware postscript RIP in the printer.

My questions are:

1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf mbed Type 1 fonts for
   the base postscript fonts.

2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate
   all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot ->
   pslatex -> dvips ?

3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their
   film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these
   fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based?

Thanks
Kreutzer

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003, kreutzer wrote:

> I am in the process of sending my ph.d. thesis to a printing
> firm, and I am trying to create a pdf file that suits them.
>
> My first attempt met some objections, most nobably the absence
> of embedded Times, Helvetica etc. All the other fonts (I
> used a custom type 1 font for the body text) were embedded
> in the pdf file.
>
> I use teTeX 1.0.7 and ghostscript 7.05 to generate the
> pdf through the dvips -> ps2pdf route. I am a little
> reluctant to upgrade these so close to a deadline.
>
> Indeed, Times and Helvetica were not embedded. When I
> look at the psfonts.map file in $TEXMF/dvips/config,
> I find indeed that for e.g. Times-Italic, a pfb file is
> not indicated for the base postscript fonts.
>
> On my (postscript) laserprinter this is not a problem,
> I guess, because it probably has the base fonts loaded
> in the hardware postscript RIP in the printer.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf mbed Type 1 fonts for
>    the base postscript fonts.

For dvips, edit the .map file as explained in the manual, but
this may not

> 2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate
>    all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot ->
>    pslatex -> dvips ?
>
> 3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their
>    film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these
>    fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based?

This is not unreasonable, as the "base 13" fonts and even the
laserwriter 35 are normally available with any PS RIP, but you
need to be careful about the differences between the various
"clones".  One strategy is to embed the (free) URW fonts, which
are high quality and readily available with ghostscript or on
Linux, under their own names, which ensure they won't be substituted.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@chebucto.ns.ca>

0
aa056 (359)
10/6/2003 10:49:38 AM
kreutzer wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> 1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf mbed Type 1 fonts for
>    the base postscript fonts.
>
> 2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate
>    all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot ->
>    pslatex -> dvips ?

These are (almost) FAQ, please check the thread "Camera Ready Postscript
files"; in

http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=E6UPa.11449%24ru2.1189555%40news20.bellglobal.com

I describe what worked for me.

> 3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their
>    film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these
>    fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based?

nope, they don't do that.

Cheers, Ren´┐Ż

0
witte1 (3)
10/6/2003 2:51:48 PM
Rene Witte <witte@ira.uka.de> wrote in message news:<ckfgb.2445$oO4.279590@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> kreutzer wrote:
> > My questions are:
> >
> > 1. How can I make dvips or ps2pdf embed Type 1 fonts for
> >    the base postscript fonts.
> >
> > 2. If this is possible, does this mean I have to recreate
> >    all the graphs I made through datafile -> gnuplot ->
> >    pslatex -> dvips ?
>
> These are (almost) FAQ, please check the thread "Camera Ready Postscript
> files"; in
>
> http://groups.google.ca/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UT[snip]

Thanks for the answer.
In short, one has to use -Pdownload35 in the dvips command line.

Anyway, I don't think it's a frequently *answered* question,
googl'ing for Pdownload35 gave me two hits.
It's also a rather recent addition to dvips, my teTeX 1.0.7
does not have such a config file in $TEXMF/dvips/config.

I'll take the jump and upgrade teTeX (I hope I didn't change
too much in the systemwide tree) and try out this option.

> > 3. Or can I just tell the printing firm that their
> >    film-printer of direct-to-plate printer must have these
> >    fonts resident in hardware if they are postscript-based?
>
> nope, they don't do that.

I was afraid of that.

Thanks again

Kreutzer