problem in using graphicx package when xmltex used with pdftex

Dear All,

I am able to compile the below incorporated testxml.tex using latex in
MiKTeX, but when I am trying to compile the same file with pdflatex it
is throwing the following error message:
---------
"error "(C:\MiKTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\omscmr.fd)
! Undefined control sequence.
% as scratch registers  e

l.22 % as scratch registers ;
                              inside context we may consider"
---------

I tried to analyze and find that this is happening due to the graphicx
package and in turn of that it is due to pdftex.def driver. I further
analyze and find that the origin of problem is supp-pdf.tex which is
loaded in pdftex.def, thus if I comment the line containg
"\InputIfFileExists{supp-pdf}{}{}" the document is getting compiled or
even if I don't comment this but just load the graphicx package at
begin document using \AtBeginDocument{\usepackage{graphicx}} then also
there is not any problem.
Given example is just a shortened form of a real life problem and it
would not be a good Idea to load each package at begin document which
calls pdftex.def as driver.

Can any one help me out and suggest what to do to overcome this so that
I will not be requiring to change the code to load packages at begin
document?
Is this a bug or it is just my short knowledge?

Below is attached a complete set of one simple example

Please let me know if my question is not clear or it is confusing.

Thanks in advance
Kind Regards
David

------------------------- testxml.tex --------------------
\def\xmlfile{testxml.xml}
\input xmltex.tex

------------------------- testxml.xml --------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "test">
<article>
<title>Testing</title>
<author>David</author>
<sec>Introduction</sec>
</article>

------------------------- testxml.cfg --------------------
\xmltraceoff
\SYSTEM   {test} {testxml.xmt}

------------------------- testxml.xmt --------------------
\XMLelement{article}
{}
  {\documentclass{article}
    \AtBeginDocument{\usepackage{graphicx}}
   \begin{document}
  }
  {\end{document}}

\XMLelement{title}
  {}{\xmlgrab}{\title{#1}}

\XMLelement{author}
  {}{\xmlgrab}{\author{#1}\maketitle}

\XMLelement{sec}
  {}{\xmlgrab}{\section{#1}}

\XMLelement{p}
  {}{}{\par}
--------------------------END--------------------

0
david_jsf (85)

Can anybody help me on this?

Thanks
david wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am able to compile the below incorporated testxml.tex using latex in
> MiKTeX, but when I am trying to compile the same file with pdflatex it
> is throwing the following error message:
> ---------
> "error "(C:\MiKTeX\texmf\tex\latex\base\omscmr.fd)
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> % as scratch registers  e
>
> l.22 % as scratch registers ;
>                               inside context we may consider"
> ---------
>
> I tried to analyze and find that this is happening due to the graphicx
> package and in turn of that it is due to pdftex.def driver. I further
> analyze and find that the origin of problem is supp-pdf.tex which is
> loaded in pdftex.def, thus if I comment the line containg
> "\InputIfFileExists{supp-pdf}{}{}" the document is getting compiled or
> even if I don't comment this but just load the graphicx package at
> begin document using \AtBeginDocument{\usepackage{graphicx}} then also
> there is not any problem.
> Given example is just a shortened form of a real life problem and it
> would not be a good Idea to load each package at begin document which
> calls pdftex.def as driver.
>
> Can any one help me out and suggest what to do to overcome this so that
> I will not be requiring to change the code to load packages at begin
> document?
> Is this a bug or it is just my short knowledge?
>
> Below is attached a complete set of one simple example
>
> Please let me know if my question is not clear or it is confusing.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Kind Regards
> David
>
> ------------------------- testxml.tex --------------------
> \def\xmlfile{testxml.xml}
> \input xmltex.tex
>
> ------------------------- testxml.xml --------------------
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE article SYSTEM "test">
> <article>
> <title>Testing</title>
> <author>David</author>
> <sec>Introduction</sec>
> </article>
>
> ------------------------- testxml.cfg --------------------
> \xmltraceoff
> \SYSTEM   {test} {testxml.xmt}
>
> ------------------------- testxml.xmt --------------------
> \XMLelement{article}
> {}
>   {\documentclass{article}
>     \AtBeginDocument{\usepackage{graphicx}}
>    \begin{document}
>   }
>   {\end{document}}
>
> \XMLelement{title}
>   {}{\xmlgrab}{\title{#1}}
>
> \XMLelement{author}
>   {}{\xmlgrab}{\author{#1}\maketitle}
>
> \XMLelement{sec}
>   {}{\xmlgrab}{\section{#1}}
>
> \XMLelement{p}
>   {}{}{\par}
> --------------------------END--------------------

0
david_jsf (85)
11/3/2005 5:01:04 AM
 "david" <david_jsf@yahoo.com> writes:
>Can anybody help me on this?

plainly there are no xmltex experts reading this group.  ... so i
thought i'd look at your problem before suggesting you contact david
carlisle (the alternative is going into town to pay my credit card
bill  ... such a difficult choice).

of course, when i ran your examples, it all worked fine for me,
producing output one might expect of the xml file.

so i modified your testxml.tex to say

  \def\xmlfile{testxml.xml}
  \listfiles
  \input xmltex.tex

and i got the output:

 *File List*
 testxml.xmt
 article.cls    2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
  size10.clo    2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX file (size option)
graphicx.sty    1999/02/16 v1.0f Enhanced LaTeX Graphics (DPC,SPQR)
  keyval.sty    1999/03/16 v1.13 key=value parser (DPC)
graphics.sty    2001/07/07 v1.0n Standard LaTeX Graphics (DPC,SPQR)
    trig.sty    1999/03/16 v1.09 sin cos tan (DPC)
graphics.cfg    2005/02/03 v1.3 graphics configuration of teTeX/TeXLive
  pdftex.def    2002/06/19 v0.03k graphics/color for pdftex
supp-pdf.tex

the context packages don't enter in the latex file list for some
reason...  their log output isn't helpful either.

i'm running a tetex 3 system, with no relevant updates, that i can
think of -- the xmltex files were in the current directory.

perhaps your problem is somewhere in the file versions?
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> "david" <david_jsf@yahoo.com> writes:
> >Can anybody help me on this?
>
> plainly there are no xmltex experts reading this group.  ... so i
> thought i'd look at your problem before suggesting you contact david
> carlisle (the alternative is going into town to pay my credit card
> bill  ... such a difficult choice).
>
> of course, when i ran your examples, it all worked fine for me,
> producing output one might expect of the xml file.
>
> so i modified your testxml.tex to say
>
>   \def\xmlfile{testxml.xml}
>   \listfiles
>   \input xmltex.tex
>
> and i got the output:
>
>  *File List*
>  testxml.xmt
>  article.cls    2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
>   size10.clo    2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX file (size option)
> graphicx.sty    1999/02/16 v1.0f Enhanced LaTeX Graphics (DPC,SPQR)
>   keyval.sty    1999/03/16 v1.13 key=value parser (DPC)
> graphics.sty    2001/07/07 v1.0n Standard LaTeX Graphics (DPC,SPQR)
>     trig.sty    1999/03/16 v1.09 sin cos tan (DPC)
> graphics.cfg    2005/02/03 v1.3 graphics configuration of teTeX/TeXLive
>   pdftex.def    2002/06/19 v0.03k graphics/color for pdftex
> supp-pdf.tex
>
> the context packages don't enter in the latex file list for some
> reason...  their log output isn't helpful either.
>
> i'm running a tetex 3 system, with no relevant updates, that i can
> think of -- the xmltex files were in the current directory.
>
> perhaps your problem is somewhere in the file versions?

The supp-pdf.tex (and helper file supp-mis.tex that it inputs) have
always been somewhat lax about "defaults". There was a problem not too
long ago when LaTeX changed the \lccode of the "-" and supp-pdf relied
on it's being 0. Prior to that, there was a problem where supp-pdf
relied on the category code of ";" to be 12, when some babel packages
changed it to 13.

The recent previous version (I haven't checked the current one yet) had
a problem with the outerness of the \newxxx macros (issued inside the
false branch of a conditional), and the outerness of \+ in plain TeX
once caused problems.

The newer versions have fewer of these problems, but these two files
still have the potential for conflicts.

The error message shown by the OP shows that "%" is not recognized as a
comment char (probably xmltex's fault) and that ";" is probably active
(which could be the fault of supp-pdf/mis for neglecting to restore it)
or just a byproduct of the "%" problem.

Certainly the most recent versions should be tried, and that might
clear everything up.

Dan

0
luecking (1319)

Using using
I want to plot column 2 against col. 1, but subtract a constant from col. 2. I tried, in a test script, plot 'test.dat' using 1:($2 + 1) w p pt 7 but gnuplot complains Warning: empty y range [1:1], adjusting to [0.99:1.01] although the data file contains 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 What am I doing wrong? I read this in the manual: plot 'file' using 1:($2+$3) "%1f,%1f,%1f" which led me to use the above. I assume the format stuff is not needed. If I am doing this wrong, how do I modify a given column to be plotted arithmetically? -- Dieter...

when to use == and when to use is
I know this question has been answered: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6570371/when-to-use-and-when-to-use-is , but I still have doubts. Consider the following code: class A: def __init__(self, a): self._a = a #def __eq__(self, other): # return self._a != other._a obj_0 = A(0) obj_1 = A(1) obj_2 = A(2) obj = obj_1 if obj == obj_0: print(0) elif obj == obj_1: print(1) elif obj == obj_2: print(2) if obj is obj_0: print(0) elif obj is obj_1: print(1) elif obj is obj_2: print(2) Both if statements wo...

when to use ; and when to use ,
Any statements like printf("abc"); scanf("%d",&x); a=20; can be replaced by printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; So when should we use ; and when sould we use , In article <1181971596.941107.318810@o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Ravi <ra.ravi.rav@gmail.com> wrote: >Any statements like > printf("abc"); > scanf("%d",&x); > a=20; >can be replaced by > printf("abc"), scanf("%d",&x), a=20; > >So when should we use ; and when sould we use , Use ; when you want ...

Problem in using xy package with xmltex
Dear All, I am using xmltex for typesetting XML documents, I need to use the wide variety of arrows that is available with xy package. A typical example of equation can be like: $$K: \xymatrix{1 & 2 \ar@<1ex> [l]^{\beta}\ar@<-1ex>[l]_{\alpha}},$$ I am able to compile the equation in normal latex document but when I am using the same equation in XML document inside <?xmltex ...?> processing instruction then it's not working. Did anybody faced such problem in using xy package with xmltex engine (XML typesetting)? Can anybody give me some helpfull remarks to get over...

Problem using color and graphicx in plain TeX
I put pictures in plain TeX documents using \input graphicx \includegraphics{MyPicture} \bye I can also color text with \input color \textcolor{red}{bbb} \bye But I am not able two get both color AND pictures. The following example \input color \input graphicx \bye produces the error message ! Use of \@ doesn't match its definition. l.27 \@m akeother\"% Changing the order of the \input's produces a different message: ! Undefined control sequence. <argument> \@notdefinable \@secondoftwo #1#2->#2 l.72 ...nextchar[\@undeclaredcolor\@declaredcolor} I am using pdftex in MacOS X 10.4.3 ( Gerben Wierda's installation) and TeXshop. From the log window: This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) How can I make the two packages work together? Thank you in advance, Julian Aguirre Universidad del Pais Vasco Julian Aguirre wrote: > I put pictures in plain TeX documents using > > \input graphicx > \includegraphics{MyPicture} > \bye > > I can also color text with > > \input color > \textcolor{red}{bbb} > \bye > > But I am not able two get both color AND pictures. The following example > > \input color > \input graphicx > \bye > This: \input color \makeatletter \input graphicx \bye seems to work. When I need graphics or color in plain tex, I use the following code in a personal macro file: \input miniltx \makeatletter \ifx\Gin@driver\undefined \def\G...

Using where; Using index vs Using where
Hello, What are the difference between the following statements, which one is better? mysql> desc SELECT COUNT(*) as `cnt` FROM vote WHERE `ip` = INET_ATON('127.0.0.1') AND (`addtime` > NOW() - INTERVAL 1 DAY) ; +----+-------------+-------+-------+---------------+--------------- +---------+------+------+--------------------------+ | id | select_type | table | type | possible_keys | key | key_len | ref | rows | Extra | +----+-------------+-------+-------+---------------+--------------- +---------+------+------+--------------------------+ | 1 | S...

Just When I Was Getting Used To Using Using
I have a class Packet that contains a nested class Payload and an enumeration: struct Packet { struct Payload { } ; } ; I had gotten into the habit of writing: using Packet::Payload; so I could write: Payload::..blah.. instead of Packet::Payload::..blah I have done this... (gulp) in many, many .cpp files. I tried out the new Visual C++ Express compiler from you-know-who on my source code and got 1000's of error messages: ...\Packet\Packet.cpp(13) : error C2885: 'Packet::Payload': not a valid using-declaration at non-class scope What does the standard say? Is th...

Problem using MAPI
I am trying to use MAPI. I have the following code.. Dim oSession as MAPI.Session ' in variable declaration Set oSession = CreateObject("MAPI.Session") ' in procedure This line causes "error 429 activeX control cant create object" I think it could be because something is not registered properly? What should be in the reference section? Regards, Chuck: In my VB6 Professional edition, you have to go to the Project menu then down to Components and select the Microsoft MAPI Controls (checkbox). I don't have much MAPI experience but ho...

Problems using an old programs which uses quicktime
Hi, I was given an older program (chemistry interactive) which was originally made for windows 3.11. This program was originally made to work with QuickTime 2.11. When I installed the program it asked me if I wanted to install QuickTime and I hit no (I have the newest version of quicktime so I didn't think I needed it). When I started the program it told me that the animations would not work because I didn't have QuickTime installed. Because of this I then went to reinstall the program, this time telling it that I wanted to install QuickTime, but when I launched the pro...

Problem building and using a DLL which uses wxWidgets
I want to build an application consisting of an exe and a dll which both use wxWidgets. I use wxWindows 2.4.2. The application is loading the businesslogic.dll by initializing an wrapperobject that loads/unloads dll and gets all symbols. My problem is that my dll seems to run a mainloop when loaded, so that wxDynamicDll::Load () never returns. If I define the _WXDLL, I can't even link, as wxEvent(void*) seems not to be defined. Anyone tried this and has a solution? I like to add, that I use the IMPLEMENT_APP in EXE and IMPLEMENT_APP_NO_MAIN in dll. I tried both, dynamic an...

Footnote text disappears if used inside \mbox...any suggestions on how to keep text together within a line without using \mbox?
Hello, At the end of a paragraph I have a footnote and the footnote doesn't fit in the last line (Latex puts it in the next line and it doesn't look ok a line with a single footnote number). I tried to solve the issue using mbox, but although the footnote number stays in the last line together with the last text of the paragraph, the footnote itself disappears from the text. The text: ....As a result, $W-eH-Z$, where $Z\sim U[\underline{Z},\bar{Z}]$. \footnote{Alternatively, blabla.} My solution (footnote text disappears): ....As a result, \mbox{$W-eH-Z$, where $Z\sim U[\underli...

ActGen to use or not to use?
Hello, I was doing a project with Actel FPGA ex128 with Libero Platinum Eval version software. in my project I had to use some counters,Multiplexers etc. which I wrote myself. Now as I was a beginner I didnt use the ActGen. Is it worth the effort to write the code partly by using ActGen macros for counter and muxes and etc. Thanks Naimesh Naimesh wrote: > I was doing a project with Actel FPGA ex128 with Libero Platinum Eval > version software. > > in my project I had to use some counters,Multiplexers etc. which I > wrote myself. Good work. Writing your own code makes y...

To use locking or not to use it
Hello, I am builiding a multi-threaded application which has the following components : 1 writer thread - it gets information from the network and updates a table of numeric data, then informs the 2 reader threads that there is new information, so they should start running 2 reader threads that are awakened by the writer thread, use the writer thread's table to retrieve updated numerical data to do their calculations. Since the writer updates the table and the readers read from it, I want to use a reader/writer locking mechanism. However, I thought about the following...

Problem with using hyperref package
would like to use hypperref with Caltech thesis package from http://www.work.caltech.edu/ling/tips/cit_thesis.html. After adding \usepackage[% colorlinks=true,linkcolor=black,citecolor=black,urlcolor=black,% pdfstartview=FitH,% bookmarksopen=true,bookmarksopenlevel=0,% plainpages=false,pdfpagelabels,% pagebackref=true,% pdftoolbar=true,bookmarks=true]{hyperref} I am getting Latex error } % Incompatible versions of \ifpdf can cause problems, therefore package loading is aborted. Any ideas how to solve this are welcome. Peter wrote: > would like...

problem using flashcard package
hello I have tried to modify the the avery5388.cfg file that comes along with the flashcard package on ctan. My target layout is the avery zweckform c32010 business card with a4 paper size. This product has the following parameters: width: 85 mm height: 54 mm top margin: 13 mm left/right margin: 15 mm and consequently an inner horizontal margin of 10 mm as the width of an a4 sheet is 210 mm. Now if I set the variables in the edited copy of avery5388.cfg and play around with dvips I get about the correct boxes for the card (using the grid option when declaring the flashcard p...

When to use postgreSQL , when to use other
We are using Oracle and mySQL for web-applications I'm planing to use postgresql also. Maybe we will also use Cach`e . Does anyone using an other database-engines than postgresql also? What are your decision criterias to choose which db-engine for a certain project? e.g. less/more than x records in database , less/more than x select/DML-Staements per second reliablity, backup, replication... ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your joining column's ...

problem using rpm package
Hi all, I am trying to create a rpm package. In the spec file %install section *** %install mkdir -p /usr/local/flashupdt/drivers/ install -s -m 755 -o 0 -g mouse /usr/local/flashupdt/drivers/mouse *** The install command creates a "mouse?" file in /usr/local/flashupdt/drivers/ intsead of mouse. The same command works fine on command line. I have also tried using cp command. I am getting same results Could you please tell me why this is happening? Thanks, Jitesh ...

Problems using getaddrinfo and friends using c99 standard
Hi, I'm trying to do some network programming, but when I use 'struct addrinfo' or getaddrinfo, I see errors: [ ~/src/_sandbox] gcc --std=c99 -Wall ipv6_test.c -o it ipv6_test.c: In function `main': ipv6_test.c:25: error: storage size of 'hints' isn't known ipv6_test.c:34: warning: implicit declaration of function `getaddrinfo' ipv6_test.c:38: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ipv6_test.c:39: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ipv6_test.c:40: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ipv6_test.c:41: error: dereferencing pointer ...

Use and usefulness of the as syntax
First, could you confirm the following syntax import foo as f equivalent to import foo f = foo Now, I was wondering about the usefulness in everyday programming of the as syntax within an import statement. Here are some instances retrieved from real code of such a syntax import numpy as np import math as _math import pickle as pickle -- In the first case, the syntax is motivated by brevity need, isn't it ? -- The second case seems to be rather widespread and causes math attribute to be private but I don't figure out why this matters. -- In the last case, I can see no poin...

Problem with using the package floatflt
Dear All I have tried to use the package floatflt, but no picture appears on DVI file. My very short TeX document is below. Could anybody here please help me? Thank you a lot in advance! Paul ---------------------------------------------- \documentclass[12pt,a4paper,english]{article} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} \usepackage{floatflt} \usepackage{graphicx} \makeatletter \usepackage{babel} \makeatother \begin{document} This is a line of text. \begin{floatingfigure}{0.50\columnwidth}% \begin{center}\includegraphics[% scale=0.5,bb = 0 0 200 100, draft, type=eps]{ima...

Defined but not used? But I am using it!
I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the following. namespace menutree { static bool debug = false; } And in various parts of the code I have statements like. if (menutree::debug) { std::cout << "here" << std::endl; Everything compiles but I get the warning "warning: `bool menutree::debug' defined but not used" Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks! Travis wrote: > I can't figure this out. So in a templated class of mine I have the > following. > > namespace menutree > { > static boo...

Problems in using used/refurbished HP Procurve gear?
I have read that using used/refurbished Cisco, at least ones that are not "Cisco Certified Refurbished Equipment", gear can present a problem if you ever need support or software upgrades. Specifically that you need to relicense the Cisco software (see <http:// www.networkworld.com/community/node/14756>). Are there any such limitations in using HP Procurve gear? Will HP support a switch bought from a company like Network Liquidators <http:// www.networkliquidators.com/>, like they would any other out of warranty switch? Hello astewart@notre1.com, What i recognized t...

To use or not to use CLOS
I must admit that I'm completely a newbie in Lisp, as I've been writing C and (some) C++ for years. I don't like the way in wich C++ resolves object programming, although sometimes I'm forced to use object oriented programming in C, in the same way as GTK+ does. Now I emprend a (personal) project and would like to start it from the very beginning in Lisp (my first project in this language). My simple question, and I want to ear answers from all you experts, is: do you recomend me CLOS or perhaps consider that using simple structure and Lisp facilities would be more than enough?...

problem using rpm package
Hi all, I am trying to create a rpm package. In the spec file %install section *** %install mkdir -p /usr/local/flashupdt/drivers/ install -s -m 755 -o 0 -g mouse /usr/local/flashupdt/drivers/mouse *** The install command creates a mouse? file in /usr/local/flashupdt/drivers/ intead of mouse. Also the size of mouse? is less than the actual size. Could you please tell me why this is happening? Thanks, Jitesh ...

Web resources about - problem in using graphicx package when xmltex used with pdftex - comp.text.tex

Irony punctuation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Although in the written English language there is no standard way to denote irony or sarcasm , several forms of punctuation have been proposed. ...

The TeX Catalogue OnLine, Hierarchical Ctan Edition
Search - Home - Alpha - Brief - Topical - Hierarchical TeX Catalogue (Hierarchical Ctan Edition) Graham Williams Copyright © 1986-2011 Graha ...

documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article} usepackage[T1]{fontenc} usepackage[utf8]{in - Pastebin.com
PASTEBIN - #1 paste tool since 2002 create new paste tools api archive faq PASTEBIN create new paste trending pastes sign up login my alerts ...

porton - planetmath.org
% this is the default PlanetMath preamble. as your knowledge% of TeX increases, you will probably want to edit this, but% it should be fine as ...

File:Mesh Analysis Example1 TeX.svg
... Example1.svg created using LaTeX, TikZ, CircuiTikz, and pdf2svg. \ documentclass [ tikz, margin=15px ]{ standalone } \ usepackage { color,graphicx,circuitikz ...

milogardner - planetmath.org
% this is the default PlanetMath preamble. as your knowledge% of TeX increases, you will probably want to edit this, but% it should be fine as ...

akdevaraj - planetmath.org
% this is the default PlanetMath preamble. as your knowledge% of TeX increases, you will probably want to edit this, but% it should be fine as ...

rspuzio - planetmath.org
% this is the default PlanetMath preamble. as your knowledge% of TeX increases, you will probably want to edit this, but% it should be fine as ...

pahio - planetmath.org
% this is the default PlanetMath preamble. as your knowledge% of TeX increases, you will probably want to edit this, but% it should be fine as ...

m759 - planetmath.org