Problem setting papersize with dvips

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

(See previous posts with same subject)

I obtained a copy of config.ps from a friend who uses MiKTeX 2.6 and
dropped it into the
divps/config folder. The results are the same, dvips is not
processing
the papersize special that
is implanted in the source file.

For anyone show is interested, Here is a test file

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[dvips,designiv]{web}
\parindent0pt\parskip6pt
\begin{document}
Is this 5in wide by 4in high?
\end{document}

Requirements for this test file are the
1 AeB package, which might be installed on your system already.
If not, download and install acrotex_pack.zip from
http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/webeq.html

2. MiKTeX 2.8

3. Create a PS, and distill with Adobe distiller.

Things worked correctly for previous versions of MiKTeX (2.6, don't
know about 2.7, but never got any
complaints about the screen size of the document produced).

Could this be a bug introduced into dvips (dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright
2009 Radical Eye Software)?

Don
0
Reply dpstory 11/20/2009 3:00:37 PM

See related articles to this posting

 "dpstory@uakron.edu" <dpstory@uakron.edu> writes:
>(See previous posts with same subject)
>
>I obtained a copy of config.ps from a friend who uses MiKTeX 2.6 and
>dropped it into the
>divps/config folder. The results are the same, dvips is not
>processing
>the papersize special that
>is implanted in the source file.
>
>For anyone show is interested, Here is a test file
>
>\documentclass{article}
>\usepackage[dvips,designiv]{web}
>\parindent0pt\parskip6pt
>\begin{document}
>Is this 5in wide by 4in high?
>\end{document}
>
>Requirements for this test file are the
>1 AeB package, which might be installed on your system already.
>If not, download and install acrotex_pack.zip from
>http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/webeq.html

have you tried simply extracting the \special command and putting it
in simple document (doesn't even have to be latex...)

have you looked at the output of dvitype to confirm that the \special
has made it that far?

frankly, i'm not moved to install a (presumably) large package to
investigate stuff before you've tried reducing the sample.

>Could this be a bug introduced into dvips (dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright
>2009 Radical Eye Software)?

of course it could, but dvips isn't changed much nowadays (most effort
is devoted to more recent technology, afaict).
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Problem setting papersize with dvips #2
A couple of my acrotex users, and I've verified this myself that the papersize of a screen size document is not being set; instead we are getting letter (or a4) size document. This probem appears first with MikTeX 2.8, which uses %%Creator: dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software Using \special{papersize=350pt,270pt}% does not yield the desired papersize. Does anyone know what is going on with dvips? Don Story > Using =A0\special{papersize=3D350pt,270pt}% > Does anyone know what is going on with dvips? Don Story Use the same command line within the command "\At...

Problem setting a4paper option using dvips
I'm writing a new class based on book. As you know, book includes the paper size options a4paper, a5paper, b5paper, letterpaper, legalpaper, executivepaper, and landscape. I want to produce pdf files in which the pdf paper size matches the paperheight and paperwidth specified by the book class option. In addition, I will not have control over whether the user is using latex => dvips => ps2pdf or pdflatex directly. So I wrote the code (see minimal example below) using the ifpdf package to see which path is being taken, and to set the page size accordingly. For some reason, the follo...

problem in setting
I have a gui application with 9 edit text box to get input ant 1 pushbutton then 2 static text to set result and i coded the calculation part in push button but in static text result is nont shown in real value but more over in complex matrix form so haow can i get solution in real value. I set the static text as set(handles.Result,'String',num2str(Htotal)); set(handles.G,'String',num2str(Gtotal)); but dont have the requird output On 2/9/2013 8:43 AM, Das Bably wrote: > I have a gui application with 9 edit text box to get input ant 1 > pushbutton then 2 static tex...

a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help!
I have 2 files: one with department names (dpt) ; tree species (1 dpt could have many species); and a 3rd var (index_a). the other with dpt and forested region names (1 dpt could have many forested reg.) I want to multiply file 1 by file 2, in order to obtain for each "forested region within a dpt" the info about the "dpt species index" line . It is not just a normal merge... but I am lacking experience to do the coding. Could someone help me please! Thank in advance! Here is an example of want I want to do File 1 dpt tree_sp index 1 1 ...

dvips problems
This is a little complicated, so bare with me. I was working on a document that uses the skak-package. For ease, I just placed the skak??.mf and .sty files in the same directy as my own .tex file. It worked fine. I was using TeTex. Then the other day, I switched to TeX Live. I removed TeTex completely. Everything still worked fine in the same directory, and still does. But then, when I checked out from CVS a copy of the same directory, and try to build my document there by running latex twice and then running dvips to make a ps file, I have problems. dvips says: dvips: Design size m...

problem with Sets
greeting everyone, I have a problem with sets, according to the API documentation Class TreeSet<E> --------------------------- public boolean add(E e) Adds the specified element to this set if it is not already present. More formally, adds the specified element e to this set if the set contains no element e2 such that (e==null ? e2==null : e.equals(e2)). If this set already contains the element, the call leaves the set unchanged and returns false. new I have this code: ----------------------------- Set identities = new java.util.TreeSet<Identity>(); System.out.println(id1...

E=3DThe Set of All Problems (Theoretical and ...The Solution To Every Problem
Let A=3DThe Set of All Things B=3DThe Set of All Things Theoretical C=3DTheoretical Computer Science D=3DThe P=3DNP Problem E=3DThe Set of All Problems (Theoretical and Non-Theoretical) A (set of all things is contained within)A AB (set of all things theoretical) BA ABC (Theoretical Computer Science) CBA ABCD (The P=3DNP ... Jul 17 by Musatov - 77 messages - 17 authors Cut and Dry: P=3D=3DNP QED It has everything to do with P=3DNP of course. michaelw. the p versus np solution MARTIN M. MUSATOV 1. STATEMENT OF THE SOLUTION This solution to P versus NP explains how every language accepted b...

Set problem
This code doesn't drop the y variable, when first conditon is true. Any suggestions? %let mem = 'XXXXXXXX'; %let testds = 'XXXXXXXX', 'YYYYYYYY', 'ZZZZZZZZ'; data a; x='First Condition True ' ;y='1'; run; data b; x='Second Condition True' ;y='1'; run; %macro testit; data test; if &mem in (&testds) then do; set a (drop=y); end; else do; set b; end; run; %mend testit; %testit; ...

Problem with dvips
Hi, I am using Garamond font for my thesis. I also have expert set, and have generated necessary files and have done the setup. The problem is I get true small caps if I compile with LaTeX and pdfLaTeX, but when I convert .dvi file with dvips I get normal letters in place of small caps and inline numbers instead of hanging numbers. The .dvi and .pdf files contain hanging figures and small caps. I am using up-to-date MiKTeX 2.4. I also tried it with old teTeX distribution and got the same problem. Thank you very much for your time. Athale. On 1 Apr 2004 01:02:44 -0800, Athale <athale@risc...

A set problem
Recently I got interested in the following problem: Given is a partial function from a set A to a domain D. Also given a number of subsets of A: A_i. The problem is to find an extension of the function to the whole set, where each restriction to A_i is a bijection. Familiar, anyone? Groetjes Albert -- -- Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS Economic growth -- like all pyramid schemes -- ultimately falters. albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst Albert van der Horst <albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl> wrote: > Recently I got interes...

Problem setting up
Have checked the Palm website and have downloaded the pdf file but this does not help with this one. Palm m500, bought secondhand. System will not let me in to do anything as I need a password. Can the 'old' software etc. be deleted? Hard reset does not appear to wrok. Advice much appreciated. Chris "roddytoo" <cfba06985@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:c2ejhu$1rv78a$1@ID-64867.news.uni-berlin.de... > Have checked the Palm website and have downloaded the pdf file but this does > not help with this one. > Palm m500, bought secondhand. &g...

setting problem
hi how do you set environment variable like java_home. i set it first like the following export java_home=/opt/j2skd1.2.4 and it workded but i tried to set it again to different directory i get error. i used the following command to set it again export java_home=/opt/j2skd1.2.4_nb/j2sdk1.2.4 it does not work and i get error i can not assign /opt/j2sdk1.2.4 to /opt/j2sdk1.2.4_nb/j2skd1.2.4 so what is the right way to set java_home? thanks On 14 Sep 2003 23:03:55 -0700, gamalt wrote: > hi > how do you set environment variable like ...

The 3n + 1 problem (Acm's problem set,help)
As a mean to improve my C skill for a more of program oriented I started the acm's problem set. In the following code the stdin gets the two inputs but the program does not proceeds further. Please help. The problem link follows: http://acm.uva.es/p/v1/100.html The program: #include<stdio.h> #include<limits.h> #include<stdlib.h> unsigned int is_odd(unsigned int num) { if((num % 2) == 0) return 0; /* the num is even*/ else return 1; /* else odd*/ } int main(void) { unsigned int i,j; /*The two numbers*/ ...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help!
Hi Jean-Pierre, How about: DATA File1; INPUT dpt tree_sp index; CARDS; 1 1 5 1 2 5 1 3 4 2 4 9 2 5 8 2 6 7 3 7 2 3 8 1 3 9 0 ; RUN; DATA File2; INPUT dpt reg; CARDS; 1 1 1 2 2 1 2 2 2 3 2 4 2 5 3 3 3 4 3 5 ; RUN; DATA Both (DROP=ObsNr2 dpt2); SET File1; DO ObsNr2 = 1 TO NobsFile2; SET File2 (RENAME=(dpt=dpt2)) ...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help! #4
SQL is well suited to this type of problem. Try: proc sql; create table final as select * from file1 natural join file2 order by dpt, reg, tree_sp; quit; The example does not suggest any need for an outer join. On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:41:37 +0100, Groeneveld, Jim <jim.groeneveld@VITATRON.COM> wrote: >Hi Jean-Pierre, > >How about: > >DATA File1; > INPUT dpt tree_sp index; > CARDS; >1 1 5 >1 2 5 >1 3 4 >2 4 9 >2 5 8 >2 ...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : plea se help!
Howard: I agree with Jim about defaulting to an outer (full) or left join unless the problem description specifically limits a solution to a key set intersection. Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of the natural join. I see no essential reason for it. The inner and outer joins cover all of the relational operations on keys. If each of the key values appears in each set, the outer joins yield the same result as an inner join. The differences occur when some of the key values do not appear in both datasets. The inner join hides the mismatches. Sig -----Original Message----- From: Howard Schr...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help! #2
Hi Marc, Good question. But no, I don't think so. The original datasets even do not need to be sorted and in every implicit loop an observation of File1 is read and File2 is scanned completely for one or more matching observations. The process stops implicitly after File1 has ended (EOF). If both datasets would actually be sorted beforehand (BY dpt) the data step could be changed a little as follows, for the sake of optimization: DATA Both (DROP=ObsNr2 dpt2 StartNr); SET File1; RETAIN StartNr 1; DO ObsNr2 = StartNr TO NobsFile2; SET File2 (RENAME=(dpt=dpt2)) NOBS=NobsFile2 POI...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help! #3
SQL is well suited to this type of problem. Try: proc sql; create table final as select * from file1 natural join file2 order by dpt, reg, tree_sp; quit; The example does not suggest any need for an outer join. On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:41:37 +0100, Groeneveld, Jim <jim.groeneveld@VITATRON.COM> wrote: >Hi Jean-Pierre, > >How about: > >DATA File1; > INPUT dpt tree_sp index; > CARDS; >1 1 5 >1 2 5 >1 3 4 >2 4 9 >2 5 8 >2 ...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help! #5
Hi Howard, How very true! Thank you. Regards - Jim. -- .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Jim Groeneveld, MSc. Biostatistician Science Team Vitatron B.V. Meander 1051 6825 MJ Arnhem Tel: +31/0 26 376 7365 Fax: +31/0 26 376 7305 Jim.Groeneveld@Vitatron.com www.vitatron.com My computer has the solutions, I have the problems. [common disclaimer] -----Original Message----- From: Howard Schreier [mailto:Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV] Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 15:48 To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help! ...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help! #6
Hi Marc, THIS IS A RESENT MESSAGE BECAUSE OF AN ERROR IN THE PREVIOUS CODE BELOW! Good question. But no, I don't think so. The original datasets even do not need to be sorted and in every implicit loop an observation of File1 is read and File2 is scanned completely for one or more matching observations. The process stops implicitly after File1 has ended (EOF). If both datasets would actually be sorted beforehand (BY dpt) the data step could be changed a little as follows, for the sake of optimization: DATA Both (DROP=ObsNr2 dpt2 StartNr); SET File1; RETAIN StartNr 1; DO ObsNr2 = ...

Chinese character sets, was Re: Problem with Latin-1 character set in French
>Already done. >See CP 252: >ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/final/cp252_ft.pdf >You now have UTF-8 (which can be used for any country) >and GB18030 for where it is required or for Chinese glyphs not >representable in Unicode. >I have some test images using these (and other) character >sets on my web site at: >http://www.dclunie.com/images/charset/ >I regularly use these and other character sets with Java and >it works very well. See for example the viewer for the NEMA >MR Multiframe project which handles all internationalized &g...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : plea se help! #2
I too would make allowance for key mismatches unless I knew that there were none or that they did not matter. Too often people describe and/or illustrate problems in terms of special cases. That is, they do not indicate the possibility of complications such as missing values, gaps in series, etc. Then people have to guess, or the solutions offered are not as robust as they need to be. As to JOIN flavors, NATURAL and outer are not mutually exclusive. As I understand it, the NATURAL keyword just offers shortcuts. Here is my explicit code for the FULL join which Sig recommends: create table...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : plea se help! #3
Howard: O'Reilly lets us view a chapter from Gennick's 2nd Ed. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orsqlpluspr2/chapter/ch01.html Oracle introduced natural joins some time ago. Check what Gennick has to say about them. As with many other shortcuts, they work well when implemented by those who know enough to do so intelligently. Otherwise, they may cost more time than they save. Sig -----Original Message----- From: Howard Schreier [mailto:Howard_Schreier@ITA.DOC.GOV] Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 1:16 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard m...

newbie Q #2: setting 'set record' option problems in mutt
Dear Gurus: I recently switched from mailx to mutt. I successfully moved the old mailbox folder files from the ~/mail location to ~/Mail. Both Webmail and mutt can read and write to them successfully. However, I can't get the set record="+sent-mail" option in the .muttrc file to work. I've tried various paths with and without quotes and with single quotes. I tried set record=: ~/Mail/sent-mail, Mail/sent-mail, and plain old sent-mail. (supply double and single quotes for all trial and error attempts) There is a sent-mail file in Mail that I co...