Problem setting papersize with dvips

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

(See previous posts with same subject)

I obtained a copy of config.ps from a friend who uses MiKTeX 2.6 and
dropped it into the
divps/config folder. The results are the same, dvips is not
processing
the papersize special that
is implanted in the source file.

For anyone show is interested, Here is a test file

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[dvips,designiv]{web}
\parindent0pt\parskip6pt
\begin{document}
Is this 5in wide by 4in high?
\end{document}

Requirements for this test file are the
1 AeB package, which might be installed on your system already.
If not, download and install acrotex_pack.zip from
http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/webeq.html

2. MiKTeX 2.8

3. Create a PS, and distill with Adobe distiller.

Things worked correctly for previous versions of MiKTeX (2.6, don't
know about 2.7, but never got any
complaints about the screen size of the document produced).

Could this be a bug introduced into dvips (dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright
2009 Radical Eye Software)?

Don
0
Reply dpstory 11/20/2009 3:00:37 PM

See related articles to this posting

 "dpstory@uakron.edu" <dpstory@uakron.edu> writes:
>(See previous posts with same subject)
>
>I obtained a copy of config.ps from a friend who uses MiKTeX 2.6 and
>dropped it into the
>divps/config folder. The results are the same, dvips is not
>processing
>the papersize special that
>is implanted in the source file.
>
>For anyone show is interested, Here is a test file
>
>\documentclass{article}
>\usepackage[dvips,designiv]{web}
>\parindent0pt\parskip6pt
>\begin{document}
>Is this 5in wide by 4in high?
>\end{document}
>
>Requirements for this test file are the
>1 AeB package, which might be installed on your system already.
>If not, download and install acrotex_pack.zip from
>http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/webeq.html

have you tried simply extracting the \special command and putting it
in simple document (doesn't even have to be latex...)

have you looked at the output of dvitype to confirm that the \special
has made it that far?

frankly, i'm not moved to install a (presumably) large package to
investigate stuff before you've tried reducing the sample.

>Could this be a bug introduced into dvips (dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright
>2009 Radical Eye Software)?

of course it could, but dvips isn't changed much nowadays (most effort
is devoted to more recent technology, afaict).
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Problem setting papersize with dvips #2
A couple of my acrotex users, and I've verified this myself that the papersize of a screen size document is not being set; instead we are getting letter (or a4) size document. This probem appears first with MikTeX 2.8, which uses %%Creator: dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software Using \special{papersize=350pt,270pt}% does not yield the desired papersize. Does anyone know what is going on with dvips? Don Story > Using =A0\special{papersize=3D350pt,270pt}% > Does anyone know what is going on with dvips? Don Story Use the same command line within the command "\At...

Problem setting a4paper option using dvips
I'm writing a new class based on book. As you know, book includes the paper size options a4paper, a5paper, b5paper, letterpaper, legalpaper, executivepaper, and landscape. I want to produce pdf files in which the pdf paper size matches the paperheight and paperwidth specified by the book class option. In addition, I will not have control over whether the user is using latex => dvips => ps2pdf or pdflatex directly. So I wrote the code (see minimal example below) using the ifpdf package to see which path is being taken, and to set the page size accordingly. For some reason, the follo...

problems problems problems
(The short(?) summary) I've got an Access MDB file and a DAO connect with it.. Problem 1 of 2 The below gives me a runtime error 91 Object variable or With block variable not set. I've got the db stuff after the form.show (to make sure all the objects on the form are loaded before attempting to utilize/manipulate them) But it doesn't like it when I use the data object in the form load anyway for some reason.. pffft. Private Sub Form_Load() frmTest1Project.Show datGallery.Recordset.MoveLast datGallery.Recordset.MoveFirst Call LockTextBoxes(frmTest...

Algorithm to combine or-sets of and-sets, where each element of an and-set is an or-set of and-sets
As part of an abduction procedure, see http://code.google.com/p/biohacker/source/browse/trunk/BPS/ltms/abduction.lisp if interested, I need to efficiently solve the following problem: Given an or-set of and-sets, for example, (:OR (:AND A B C) (:AND D E A)) and given a dictionary, where each element of an and-set is listed, with another or-set of and-sets as value, for example, A -> (:OR (:AND 1 2) (:AND 3 4)) B -> (:OR (:AND 2 3) (:AND 4)) C -> (:OR (:AND 1) (:AND 3)) D -> (:OR (:AND 1) (:AND 3 4)) E -> (:OR (:AND 1 2) (:AND 3)) find a new minimal or-set of and-set consistent,...

problem in setting
I have a gui application with 9 edit text box to get input ant 1 pushbutton then 2 static text to set result and i coded the calculation part in push button but in static text result is nont shown in real value but more over in complex matrix form so haow can i get solution in real value. I set the static text as set(handles.Result,'String',num2str(Htotal)); set(handles.G,'String',num2str(Gtotal)); but dont have the requird output On 2/9/2013 8:43 AM, Das Bably wrote: > I have a gui application with 9 edit text box to get input ant 1 > pushbutton then 2 static tex...

a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help!
I have 2 files: one with department names (dpt) ; tree species (1 dpt could have many species); and a 3rd var (index_a). the other with dpt and forested region names (1 dpt could have many forested reg.) I want to multiply file 1 by file 2, in order to obtain for each "forested region within a dpt" the info about the "dpt species index" line . It is not just a normal merge... but I am lacking experience to do the coding. Could someone help me please! Thank in advance! Here is an example of want I want to do File 1 dpt tree_sp index 1 1 ...

Set of sets
Is there a Latex (or indeed a mathematical) symbol for 'the set of sets'? Cheers. On Jun 19, 10:43=A0am, "Axis" <zedc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Is there a Latex (or indeed a mathematical) symbol for 'the set of sets'? > > Cheers. I'm not sure what you mean. I'd write something like B=3D\{A_1,\ldots,A_T\} "Joris" <pinkse@gmail.com> wrote in message news:583b3c5c-a019-4be7-a936-876f06160b05@l28g2000vba.googlegroups.com... On Jun 19, 10:43 am, "Axis" <zedc...@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: > Is there a Latex (...

Problems problems....
I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. I'm angry :)) I have LVD/SE terminator, and i think 68pin cable ( not sure about that ). Hope i gave you enough info to try and help. Thanx! -- -...

dvips problems
This is a little complicated, so bare with me. I was working on a document that uses the skak-package. For ease, I just placed the skak??.mf and .sty files in the same directy as my own .tex file. It worked fine. I was using TeTex. Then the other day, I switched to TeX Live. I removed TeTex completely. Everything still worked fine in the same directory, and still does. But then, when I checked out from CVS a copy of the same directory, and try to build my document there by running latex twice and then running dvips to make a ps file, I have problems. dvips says: dvips: Design size m...

problem with Sets
greeting everyone, I have a problem with sets, according to the API documentation Class TreeSet<E> --------------------------- public boolean add(E e) Adds the specified element to this set if it is not already present. More formally, adds the specified element e to this set if the set contains no element e2 such that (e==null ? e2==null : e.equals(e2)). If this set already contains the element, the call leaves the set unchanged and returns false. new I have this code: ----------------------------- Set identities = new java.util.TreeSet<Identity>(); System.out.println(id1...

E=3DThe Set of All Problems (Theoretical and ...The Solution To Every Problem
Let A=3DThe Set of All Things B=3DThe Set of All Things Theoretical C=3DTheoretical Computer Science D=3DThe P=3DNP Problem E=3DThe Set of All Problems (Theoretical and Non-Theoretical) A (set of all things is contained within)A AB (set of all things theoretical) BA ABC (Theoretical Computer Science) CBA ABCD (The P=3DNP ... Jul 17 by Musatov - 77 messages - 17 authors Cut and Dry: P=3D=3DNP QED It has everything to do with P=3DNP of course. michaelw. the p versus np solution MARTIN M. MUSATOV 1. STATEMENT OF THE SOLUTION This solution to P versus NP explains how every language accepted b...

Problem with a problem
Hello, take a grammar G with alphabet {0,1} such that (the word problem for) the language L_G={w in (0+1)*|w\in L(G)} is very complex, say in PSPACE or some higher complexity class. Now consider an "easy" problem EASY like: "Is an element of L_G in L_G?". Well, this seems to be fairly easy because the answer is "yes" in any case. Hence the problem should be of small complexity. But if one models such a decision problem one has to construct a language L with alphabet A such that the word problem for L reflects exactly the decision problem which one is interested...

Set problem
This code doesn't drop the y variable, when first conditon is true. Any suggestions? %let mem = 'XXXXXXXX'; %let testds = 'XXXXXXXX', 'YYYYYYYY', 'ZZZZZZZZ'; data a; x='First Condition True ' ;y='1'; run; data b; x='Second Condition True' ;y='1'; run; %macro testit; data test; if &mem in (&testds) then do; set a (drop=y); end; else do; set b; end; run; %mend testit; %testit; ...

set of sets
I thought rewriting __hash__ should be enough to avoid mutables problem but: class H(set): def __hash__(self) return id(self) s=H() f=set() f.add(s) f.remove(s) the add succeeds the remove fails eventually not calling hash(s). Thanks for help Paolino ___________________________________ Yahoo! Mail: gratis 1GB per i messaggi e allegati da 10MB http://mail.yahoo.it Paolino wrote: > I thought rewriting __hash__ should be enough to avoid mutables problem > but: > > class H(set): > def __hash__(self) > return id(self) > > s=H() > >...

Problem with dvips
Hi, I am using Garamond font for my thesis. I also have expert set, and have generated necessary files and have done the setup. The problem is I get true small caps if I compile with LaTeX and pdfLaTeX, but when I convert .dvi file with dvips I get normal letters in place of small caps and inline numbers instead of hanging numbers. The .dvi and .pdf files contain hanging figures and small caps. I am using up-to-date MiKTeX 2.4. I also tried it with old teTeX distribution and got the same problem. Thank you very much for your time. Athale. On 1 Apr 2004 01:02:44 -0800, Athale <athale@risc...

A set problem
Recently I got interested in the following problem: Given is a partial function from a set A to a domain D. Also given a number of subsets of A: A_i. The problem is to find an extension of the function to the whole set, where each restriction to A_i is a bijection. Familiar, anyone? Groetjes Albert -- -- Albert van der Horst, UTRECHT,THE NETHERLANDS Economic growth -- like all pyramid schemes -- ultimately falters. albert@spe&ar&c.xs4all.nl &=n http://home.hccnet.nl/a.w.m.van.der.horst Albert van der Horst <albert@spenarnc.xs4all.nl> wrote: > Recently I got interes...

Setting and more Settings
I have a Epson 4990 and a spyder2 express. The Epson twain configuration allows me to set color control in one of three ways 1. continuous auto exposure. on this option you must set a gamma value from 1.0 to 3.0 (in 0.1 increments) 2. ICM With a source and a target. The source is locked as (EPSON standard) The target has a choice of monitorRGB or sRGB 3. No color correction What would be the best choice for the above options ? Also, given the fact that I am using the spyder2 to load Monitor calibration settings into my video card at windows ...

Problem setting up
Have checked the Palm website and have downloaded the pdf file but this does not help with this one. Palm m500, bought secondhand. System will not let me in to do anything as I need a password. Can the 'old' software etc. be deleted? Hard reset does not appear to wrok. Advice much appreciated. Chris "roddytoo" <cfba06985@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:c2ejhu$1rv78a$1@ID-64867.news.uni-berlin.de... > Have checked the Palm website and have downloaded the pdf file but this does > not help with this one. > Palm m500, bought secondhand. &g...

sets of sets
I'm trying to read a recent paper I found at http://csr.uvic.ca/~vanemden/Publications/STPCS.pdf (The description intrigued me because the author is exploring RT. I'll try to contact the author with my question, but I thought I'd mention it here as others may be interested.) Anyway, at the top of page 5, he defines something I can only call "UNION S" (since I don't know know how to type the set union operator symbol). Can anybody suggest whether I'm reading it right? What I think it says in prose is "the set of x such that x is a member...

setting problem
hi how do you set environment variable like java_home. i set it first like the following export java_home=/opt/j2skd1.2.4 and it workded but i tried to set it again to different directory i get error. i used the following command to set it again export java_home=/opt/j2skd1.2.4_nb/j2sdk1.2.4 it does not work and i get error i can not assign /opt/j2sdk1.2.4 to /opt/j2sdk1.2.4_nb/j2skd1.2.4 so what is the right way to set java_home? thanks On 14 Sep 2003 23:03:55 -0700, gamalt wrote: > hi > how do you set environment variable like ...

The 3n + 1 problem (Acm's problem set,help)
As a mean to improve my C skill for a more of program oriented I started the acm's problem set. In the following code the stdin gets the two inputs but the program does not proceeds further. Please help. The problem link follows: http://acm.uva.es/p/v1/100.html The program: #include<stdio.h> #include<limits.h> #include<stdlib.h> unsigned int is_odd(unsigned int num) { if((num % 2) == 0) return 0; /* the num is even*/ else return 1; /* else odd*/ } int main(void) { unsigned int i,j; /*The two numbers*/ ...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help!
Hi Jean-Pierre, How about: DATA File1; INPUT dpt tree_sp index; CARDS; 1 1 5 1 2 5 1 3 4 2 4 9 2 5 8 2 6 7 3 7 2 3 8 1 3 9 0 ; RUN; DATA File2; INPUT dpt reg; CARDS; 1 1 1 2 2 1 2 2 2 3 2 4 2 5 3 3 3 4 3 5 ; RUN; DATA Both (DROP=ObsNr2 dpt2); SET File1; DO ObsNr2 = 1 TO NobsFile2; SET File2 (RENAME=(dpt=dpt2)) ...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : please help! #4
SQL is well suited to this type of problem. Try: proc sql; create table final as select * from file1 natural join file2 order by dpt, reg, tree_sp; quit; The example does not suggest any need for an outer join. On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:41:37 +0100, Groeneveld, Jim <jim.groeneveld@VITATRON.COM> wrote: >Hi Jean-Pierre, > >How about: > >DATA File1; > INPUT dpt tree_sp index; > CARDS; >1 1 5 >1 2 5 >1 3 4 >2 4 9 >2 5 8 >2 ...

Re: a SET or a MERGE problem, not a standard merge problem : plea se help!
Howard: I agree with Jim about defaulting to an outer (full) or left join unless the problem description specifically limits a solution to a key set intersection. Perhaps I misunderstand the purpose of the natural join. I see no essential reason for it. The inner and outer joins cover all of the relational operations on keys. If each of the key values appears in each set, the outer joins yield the same result as an inner join. The differences occur when some of the key values do not appear in both datasets. The inner join hides the mismatches. Sig -----Original Message----- From: Howard Schr...