Problem setting papersize with dvips

(See previous posts with same subject)

I obtained a copy of config.ps from a friend who uses MiKTeX 2.6 and
dropped it into the
divps/config folder. The results are the same, dvips is not
processing
the papersize special that
is implanted in the source file.

For anyone show is interested, Here is a test file

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[dvips,designiv]{web}
\parindent0pt\parskip6pt
\begin{document}
Is this 5in wide by 4in high?
\end{document}

Requirements for this test file are the
1 AeB package, which might be installed on your system already.
If not, download and install acrotex_pack.zip from
http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/webeq.html

2. MiKTeX 2.8

3. Create a PS, and distill with Adobe distiller.

Things worked correctly for previous versions of MiKTeX (2.6, don't
know about 2.7, but never got any
complaints about the screen size of the document produced).

Could this be a bug introduced into dvips (dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright
2009 Radical Eye Software)?

Don
0
dpstory

 "dpstory@uakron.edu" <dpstory@uakron.edu> writes:
>(See previous posts with same subject)
>
>I obtained a copy of config.ps from a friend who uses MiKTeX 2.6 and
>dropped it into the
>divps/config folder. The results are the same, dvips is not
>processing
>the papersize special that
>is implanted in the source file.
>
>For anyone show is interested, Here is a test file
>
>\documentclass{article}
>\usepackage[dvips,designiv]{web}
>\parindent0pt\parskip6pt
>\begin{document}
>Is this 5in wide by 4in high?
>\end{document}
>
>Requirements for this test file are the
>1 AeB package, which might be installed on your system already.
>If not, download and install acrotex_pack.zip from
>http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/webeq.html

have you tried simply extracting the \special command and putting it
in simple document (doesn't even have to be latex...)

have you looked at the output of dvitype to confirm that the \special
has made it that far?

frankly, i'm not moved to install a (presumably) large package to
investigate stuff before you've tried reducing the sample.

>Could this be a bug introduced into dvips (dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright
>2009 Radical Eye Software)?

of course it could, but dvips isn't changed much nowadays (most effort
is devoted to more recent technology, afaict).
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0