Problem using CJK fonts

Many years (and PCs) ago I managed to install the CJK package and
kanji48 fonts but this time around it hasn't worked. The package is OK
and I think that I have installed the correct font files in the
texmf-local tree, and run texhash which claimed to have updated
everything. However when I tried pdflatex on a document that used to
compile I got an error message saying "Couldn't find `kanji48.hbf'".

I ran kpsewhich and it couldn't find kanji48.hbf.

I looked in texmf-local/ls-R and kanji48.hbf was in there.

I went to directory texmf-local/fonts/hbf/jisx0208/kanji48 where
kanji48.hbf is and ran kpsewhich again and lo and behold it found it.

Any ideas as to how I can fix things?

Thanks
Peter W.

Peter Wilson <herries.press@earthlink.net> writes:

> Many years (and PCs) ago I managed to install the CJK package and
> kanji48 fonts but this time around it hasn't worked. The package is OK
> and I think that I have installed the correct font files in the
> texmf-local tree, and run texhash which claimed to have updated
> everything. However when I tried pdflatex on a document that used to
> compile I got an error message saying "Couldn't find `kanji48.hbf'".
>
> I ran kpsewhich and it couldn't find kanji48.hbf.

i assume it's guessing that .hbf files aren't font files.

> I looked in texmf-local/ls-R and kanji48.hbf was in there.

so the texhash did that much at least.

> I went to directory texmf-local/fonts/hbf/jisx0208/kanji48 where
> kanji48.hbf is and ran kpsewhich again and lo and behold it found it.

it would do; it looks in the current directory first, for many things.

> Any ideas as to how I can fix things?

what other things you have on texmf-local?  can kpsewhich find them?

note that (afaict) most chinese and japanese users have switched to
xetex or luatex, and more modern font packages than cjk.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
sorry about all this posting.  i'll go back to sleep in a bit.
On 21/03/13 16:40, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> Peter Wilson <herries.press@earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> Many years (and PCs) ago I managed to install the CJK package and
>> kanji48 fonts but this time around it hasn't worked. The package is OK
>> and I think that I have installed the correct font files in the
>> texmf-local tree, and run texhash which claimed to have updated
>> everything. However when I tried pdflatex on a document that used to
>> compile I got an error message saying "Couldn't find `kanji48.hbf'".
>>
>> I ran kpsewhich and it couldn't find kanji48.hbf.
>
> i assume it's guessing that .hbf files aren't font files.
>
>> I looked in texmf-local/ls-R and kanji48.hbf was in there.
>
> so the texhash did that much at least.
>
>> I went to directory texmf-local/fonts/hbf/jisx0208/kanji48 where
>> kanji48.hbf is and ran kpsewhich again and lo and behold it found it.
>
> it would do; it looks in the current directory first, for many things.
>
>> Any ideas as to how I can fix things?
>
> what other things you have on texmf-local?  can kpsewhich find them?
>
> note that (afaict) most chinese and japanese users have switched to
> xetex or luatex, and more modern font packages than cjk.

I eventually got the document to compile by putting the two files
kanji48.hbf and kanji48.bin into the same directory as the document. All
the other related font files remained in texmf-local and were found.
Other unrelated files in texmf-local have been found by kpsewhich.

I guess he question is how to get the kanji48.* files listed in the ls-R
found by kpsewhich? I thought that it just ploughed through the ls-R
file returning when it came across the name it was looking for. It seems
that some names are ignored/discarded.

Peter W.
Peter Wilson <herries.press@earthlink.net> writes:

> On 21/03/13 16:40, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>> Peter Wilson <herries.press@earthlink.net> writes:
>>
>>> Many years (and PCs) ago I managed to install the CJK package and
>>> kanji48 fonts but this time around it hasn't worked. The package is OK
>>> and I think that I have installed the correct font files in the
>>> texmf-local tree, and run texhash which claimed to have updated
>>> everything. However when I tried pdflatex on a document that used to
>>> compile I got an error message saying "Couldn't find `kanji48.hbf'".
>>>
>>> I ran kpsewhich and it couldn't find kanji48.hbf.
>>
>> i assume it's guessing that .hbf files aren't font files.
>>
>>> I looked in texmf-local/ls-R and kanji48.hbf was in there.
>>
>> so the texhash did that much at least.
>>
>>> I went to directory texmf-local/fonts/hbf/jisx0208/kanji48 where
>>> kanji48.hbf is and ran kpsewhich again and lo and behold it found it.
>>
>> it would do; it looks in the current directory first, for many things.
>>
>>> Any ideas as to how I can fix things?
>>
>> what other things you have on texmf-local?  can kpsewhich find them?
>>
>> note that (afaict) most chinese and japanese users have switched to
>> xetex or luatex, and more modern font packages than cjk.
>
> I eventually got the document to compile by putting the two files
> kanji48.hbf and kanji48.bin into the same directory as the
> document. All the other related font files remained in texmf-local and
> were found. Other unrelated files in texmf-local have been found by
> kpsewhich.
>
> I guess he question is how to get the kanji48.* files listed in the
> ls-R
> found by kpsewhich? I thought that it just ploughed through the ls-R
> file returning when it came across the name it was looking for.

actually, web2c creates an internal representation of the ls-R tree and
works from that, not from the raw file.

> It seems that some names are ignored/discarded.

the web2c library (aiui) behaves exactly as kpsewhich, here.

kpsewhich only looks in those parts of the tree which are appropriate
for the file you're asking for; so if you ask for cmr10.pfb, it will
only look in the fonts/type1 subtree(s).  if you ask it for an .hbf
file, it doesn't know where to look, but finds the file in the current
working directory.

so no, the file isn't ignored, merely "not understood".

i expect there's some runes to be found somewhere to get the stuff to
work, but it's all superseded by xe*tex and ttf or otf fonts, so the
whole setup may well be unsupported, nowadays.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
sorry about all this posting.  i'll go back to sleep in a bit.
0
rf10 (3613)
3/22/2013 11:58:29 AM
Am Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:35:26 +0000 schrieb Peter Wilson:

> On 21/03/13 16:40, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>> Peter Wilson <herries.press@earthlink.net> writes:
>>
>>> Many years (and PCs) ago I managed to install the CJK package and
>>> kanji48 fonts but this time around it hasn't worked. The package is OK
>>> and I think that I have installed the correct font files in the
>>> texmf-local tree, and run texhash which claimed to have updated
>>> everything. However when I tried pdflatex on a document that used to
>>> compile I got an error message saying "Couldn't find `kanji48.hbf'".
>>>
>>> I ran kpsewhich and it couldn't find kanji48.hbf.
>>
>> i assume it's guessing that .hbf files aren't font files.
>>
>>> I looked in texmf-local/ls-R and kanji48.hbf was in there.
>>
>> so the texhash did that much at least.
>>
>>> I went to directory texmf-local/fonts/hbf/jisx0208/kanji48 where
>>> kanji48.hbf is and ran kpsewhich again and lo and behold it found it.
>>
>> it would do; it looks in the current directory first, for many things.
>>
>>> Any ideas as to how I can fix things?
>>
>> what other things you have on texmf-local?  can kpsewhich find them?
>>
>> note that (afaict) most chinese and japanese users have switched to
>> xetex or luatex, and more modern font packages than cjk.
>>

> I eventually got the document to compile by putting the two files
> kanji48.hbf and kanji48.bin into the same directory as the document. All
> the other related font files remained in texmf-local and were found.
> Other unrelated files in texmf-local have been found by kpsewhich.
>
> I guess he question is how to get the kanji48.* files listed in the ls-R
> found by kpsewhich? I thought that it just ploughed through the ls-R
> file returning when it came across the name it was looking for. It seems
> that some names are ignored/discarded.

As Robin wrote, kpsewhich doesn't look everywhere for file types. In
an old installation instruction

http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~alford/tex/japanese_latex_texlive2007.html
(The name of the link mentions TeXLive 2007!)

I found this:

Tell TeX where to find .hbf files, by modifying
/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf:
----
MISCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/misc//;$TEXMF/fonts/hbf//
----
 For non-root installation it may be possible to set this as an
environment variable (see ~/cjk-current/doc/INSTALL and man hbf2gf).
Important point: Here you have modified a system config file. If you
later upgrade your TeX package or your operating system, this change
may be overwritten, and you will have to go back and do it again. To
avoid that, edit the first line of /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf,
replacing the word "original" with something else.

Perhaps you can use it.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/
wrote:

>Am Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:35:26 +0000 schrieb Peter Wilson:

[...]

>> I eventually got the document to compile by putting the two files
>> kanji48.hbf and kanji48.bin into the same directory as the document. All
>> the other related font files remained in texmf-local and were found.
>> Other unrelated files in texmf-local have been found by kpsewhich.
>>
>> I guess he question is how to get the kanji48.* files listed in the ls-R
>> found by kpsewhich? I thought that it just ploughed through the ls-R
>> file returning when it came across the name it was looking for. It seems
>> that some names are ignored/discarded.
>
>As Robin wrote, kpsewhich doesn't look everywhere for file types. In
>an old installation instruction
>
>http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~alford/tex/japanese_latex_texlive2007.html
>(The name of the link mentions TeXLive 2007!)
>
>I found this:
>
>Tell TeX where to find .hbf files, by modifying
>/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf:
>----
>MISCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/misc//;$TEXMF/fonts/hbf//
>----
> For non-root installation it may be possible to set this as an
>environment variable (see ~/cjk-current/doc/INSTALL and man hbf2gf).
>Important point: Here you have modified a system config file. If you
>later upgrade your TeX package or your operating system, this change
>may be overwritten, and you will have to go back and do it again. To
>avoid that, edit the first line of /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf,
>replacing the word "original" with something else.

You don't need to modify the system file texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf.
Nor do you need to set any environmental variables.

You only need to create (or modify) a texmf.cnf file that
occurs earlier in the search path for texmf.cnf. One need
only include in it the single line
  MISCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/misc//;$TEXMF/fonts/hbf//
because kpsewhich processes all those that it finds, with
earlier definitions trumping later ones. You can obtain
the search path for texmf.cnf with
  kpsewhich --expand-path=$TEXMFCNF

In my windows tex live, there is already a very short
texmf.cnf in the base directory $TEXMFROOT. I edit it
every time I install a new tex live. (And if it didn't
exist, I'd create it.)

It would surprise me if changing the word "original" to
something else would keep the system file from being
overwritten by an upgrade, but I am not prepared to test
that.

Dan
To reply by email, change LookInSig to luecking
0
LookInSig (1085)
3/25/2013 3:49:47 PM
On 25/03/13 15:49, Dan Luecking wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:45:49 +0100, Ulrike Fischer <news3@nililand.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Am Thu, 21 Mar 2013 18:35:26 +0000 schrieb Peter Wilson:
>
> [...]
>
>>> I eventually got the document to compile by putting the two files
>>> kanji48.hbf and kanji48.bin into the same directory as the document. All
>>> the other related font files remained in texmf-local and were found.
>>> Other unrelated files in texmf-local have been found by kpsewhich.
>>>
>>> I guess he question is how to get the kanji48.* files listed in the ls-R
>>> found by kpsewhich? I thought that it just ploughed through the ls-R
>>> file returning when it came across the name it was looking for. It seems
>>> that some names are ignored/discarded.
>>
>> As Robin wrote, kpsewhich doesn't look everywhere for file types. In
>> an old installation instruction
>>
>> http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~alford/tex/japanese_latex_texlive2007.html
>> (The name of the link mentions TeXLive 2007!)
>>
>> I found this:
>>
>> Tell TeX where to find .hbf files, by modifying
>> /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf:
>> ----
>> MISCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/misc//;$TEXMF/fonts/hbf//
>> ----
>> For non-root installation it may be possible to set this as an
>> environment variable (see ~/cjk-current/doc/INSTALL and man hbf2gf).
>> Important point: Here you have modified a system config file. If you
>> later upgrade your TeX package or your operating system, this change
>> may be overwritten, and you will have to go back and do it again. To
>> avoid that, edit the first line of /usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf,
>> replacing the word "original" with something else.
>
> You don't need to modify the system file texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf.
> Nor do you need to set any environmental variables.
>
> You only need to create (or modify) a texmf.cnf file that
> occurs earlier in the search path for texmf.cnf. One need
> only include in it the single line
>    MISCFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/misc//;$TEXMF/fonts/hbf//
> because kpsewhich processes all those that it finds, with
> earlier definitions trumping later ones. You can obtain
> the search path for texmf.cnf with
>    kpsewhich --expand-path=$TEXMFCNF
>
> In my windows tex live, there is already a very short
> texmf.cnf in the base directory $TEXMFROOT. I edit it
> every time I install a new tex live. (And if it didn't
> exist, I'd create it.)
>
> It would surprise me if changing the word "original" to
> something else would keep the system file from being
> overwritten by an upgrade, but I am not prepared to test
> that.

I have tried both Ulrike's and Dan's suggestions but they didn't work
for me. I have probably made some simple typo or such that I can't see
for looking.

I only need about a dozen kanji & hiragani characters for one document
and I have the workaround of putting the *.hbf file in the documents's
directory so I think that I'll leave it at that.

Thanks to everybody for their help
Peter W.

On 03/25/2013 03:49 PM, Dan Luecking wrote:
[...]
> It would surprise me if changing the word "original" to something
> else would keep the system file from being overwritten by an upgrade,
> but I am not prepared to test that.

I think this used to be true; at least the comment to say so was on line
1 of texmf.cnf files at one stage (I know, because I borrowed the
principle for my users' collections of config files for analog, the web
log analysis program :-)

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/24204

But I think it died.

///Peter

0
peter2615 (652)

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

What Does TeX Use Raw Fonts For?
I've searched for the past several days for the fundamental, no-frills answer to this question and I cannot find one. From what I gatherr, Postscript Type 1 fonts install raw (recXYZ.tfm) and non-raw (ecXYZ.tfm) tfms into the directory structure. Why does TeX need two such files for one font? Note that for the time being, I'd like to limit the scope of my questtion to TeX and the tfm's it requires, i.e., no talk of pfb's or afm's should occur here. -- % Randy Yates % "Remember the good old 1980's, when %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % thing...

Another TeX font problem :-(
This is TeXLive, but the problem appears universal. Is there ANY way of using a private font library? Preferably not even demanding that the user install it in his TeX environment? There is no obvious reason that they should want to do that, and many possible ones why it is a bad idea. I am trying to write a free-standing application, that RELIES on LaTeX, but otherwise neither relies on nor changes anything outside itself. And is is ESSENTIAL that this can be done without system privilege, as I need to use systems where I don't have it (don't ask) and want to ship to people who ...

How to use TrueType fonts with TeX
I've been asked to use some TrueType fonts with TeX. Ability to do math typesetting with these fonts might or might not be an issue. I did a search for 'TrueType' in the FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?keyword=TrueType Nothing there helped me with this problem. A google search for TrueType and TeX: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=TrueType+TeX revealed Damir Rkityansky's page: http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm which is very helpful. I also found Harald Harders article: http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/info/TrueType/ ...

Font problems extracting Text
Hi, I am extracting the text from PDF files using iether GEMINI or Scansoft PDF converter. Most of the text (99%) is usually fine, but I always run into the same problem: - The text is from scientific papers. Therefore, it is very common to find symbols like less or equal than, porcentage, plus and minus, degree, etc. Many times this symbols show OK on screen in the extracted file (a DOC or RTF file), but when I change the font in the extracted text to a standard font in Windows (Times New Roman) or ANY other font, the symbol do not show up like it originally was. I only see a square (the t...

problem using modified font
I have made a modified version of Homerton using !DrFonty this resulted in a new directory, called newHom, containing Medium.Intmetrics .Outlines .Oblique.Intmetrics .Outlines This I placed in !Boot.Resources.!Fonts on my computer (RiscPC with RISC OS3.7) rebouted and it worked fine. I have now taken a copy to my Friends computer (RiscPC with RISC OS4.02) and done the same, but it is not recognised. (It is there in !Boot.Resources.!Fonts but is not on the font list in !Edit or other apps) I did the same on a RISCube running Virtual Acorn, also RISC OS 4.02, and it works there with no problem. I tried deleating the files from my friends RiscPC and replacing with a copy of those working on the RISCube in caae they had somehow got corrupted, but still no joy. Can anyone suggest what is causing it not to be recognised? -- Erving In article <10a8510652.kbarter@orpheusnet.co.uk>, Erving <erving@riscos.org> wrote: > I have made a modified version of Homerton using !DrFonty > this resulted in a new directory, called newHom, containing > Medium.Intmetrics > .Outlines > .Oblique.Intmetrics > .Outlines > This I placed in !Boot.Resources.!Fonts > on my computer (RiscPC with RISC OS3.7) rebouted and it > worked fine. > I have now taken a copy to my Friends computer > (RiscPC with RISC OS4.02) and done the same, but it is not > recognised. (It is there in !Boot.Reso...

problem with TeX Gyre Schola font
Hi, the following file that uses TeX Gyre Schola as text font cannot be compiled with pdfLaTeX (with MiKTeX on Windows XP): \listfiles \documentclass{article} \usepackage{tgschola} \begin{document} text \end{document} > This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5) > entering extended mode > (chapter2.tex > LaTeX2e <2005/12/01> > Babel <v3.8g> and hyphenation patterns for english, dumylang, nohyphenation, ge > rman, ngerman, french, loaded. > (D:\texmf\tex\latex\base\article.cls > Document Class: article 2005/09/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX docume...

Problem in using Compact Font in PS
Hi, I'm generating a Fontset in Compact Font Format and embeding a CID font like SimHei134 in this Fontset as follows %%BeginResource: FontSet CFFSimHei134 %%IncludeResource: ProcSet FontSetInit /FontSetInit /ProcSet findresource begin %%BeginData: 31416 Binary Bytes /CFFSimHei134 31372 StartData ............ ............ <<binary data containing SimHie134>> ............ ............ %%EndData %%EndResource I'm embedding this font in a PS file and then using this font to output some text. But when I distill this file using adobe acrobat it gives error SimHei134 not found...

Problem Displaying Text Using A Canvas
Hello TCL Gurus, I am building a bulletin board, wherein I am using a canvas t o display the text posted by the users. It is something like this - canvas .bboard for {set i 0} {$i < $displayedLines} {incr i} { .bboard create text $xPos $yPos \ -width $Width \ -color $Color \ -text $Text \ -tag tag$i } I am using the <Configure> event to resize the wigets on the screen based on the newly resized width. Here what I do is set newWidth [.bboard cget -width] if {$newWidth != Width } { set Width $newWidth for {set i 0} {$i < $displayedLines} {incr i} { .bboard delet...

scavenging bitmap fonts for use in TeX
I am reading, line by line, the postscript code in an eps file, in the hope of being able to use the bitmap fonts in it. I think I will succeed in doing so, at least as far as using the fonts in postscript. However, I would also like to be able to make these fonts available for use with Plain TeX, having no information about them except the definitions in the eps file. There is probably a way to do this. If you know what it is, please let me know. There is a proliferation of different kinds of fonts one can use with TeX, such as virtual fonts and other stuff I'm not sure I've even e...

Problems using a TTF font with pdflatex
Hi, I'm trying to make the tengwarscript package to use the TTF fonts directly, without need of conversion to Type1. I've managed to do it for the Tengwar Elfica font, but Tengwar Teleri (http://www.dafont.com/en/font.php?file=tengwar_teleri) is giving me problems. I create an .enc file, then a .tfm with "ttf2tfm TengwarTelerin.ttf -T teleri.enc", install .ttf, .enc and .tfm in the texmf tree, create a .map file with the entry: TengwarTelerin Tengwar-Teleri " TeleriEncoding ReEncodeFont" <teleri.enc <TengwarTelerin.ttf then update everything with "texhash" and "updmap-sys". Now I run pdflatex and it goes fine, no errors and this message (among others) at the end: {/usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/enc/dvips/tengwar/teleri.enc} </usr/local/share/texmf/fonts/truetype/tengwar/TengwarTelerin.ttf> But if I try to view the pdf file with acroread, I get an error message saying: There was an error processing a page. There was a problem reading this document (135). With gv I get: ESP Ghostscript 815.01: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1 Error: /invalidfont in 14.944 Operand stack: --dict:5/5(L)-- F17 14.944 837 Execution stack: %interp_exit .runexec2 --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- 2 %stopped_push --nostringval-- --nostringval-- --nostringval-- false 1 %stopped_push 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 %oparray_pop 1 3 ...

Fonts problem using 8.5
I have just upgraded one of my Ubuntu machines from 8.04 to 12.04 and my tk/tcl fonts are wrong. It seems I am now using tk/tck 8.5. I am able to use the font in my xterms etc. How do I get the new tk/tcl to use my beloved X11 7x13 fixed font. server804> xlsfonts | grep "misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1" -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-10 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-11 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-13 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-14 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-15 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-16 serer804> wish % font actual {-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1} -family fixed -size 10 -weight normal -slant roman -underline 0 -overstrike 0 ----------- server1204> xlsfonts | grep "misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1" -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-10 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-11 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-13 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-14 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-15 -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-c-70-iso8859-16 server1204> wish % font actual {...

Font/text blurry---display problem?
This is a new HP nx6110 laptop that arrived yesterday. It is a Celeron 1.4GHz, 256MB, and the video card shares up to 128MB system memory. The LCD is 15" with a maxium resolution of 1024x768. I found something is probably wrong with the display. The font (text) is blurry. To be specific, here is an example. The capital English letter 'I' is composed of a single column of pixels on a LCD monitor. However, on this monitor, there are another column of pixels with light blue or grey color right next to the 'I', literally making the 'I' a shadowed letter, which is very...

Problem with \textregistered using MinionPro font
Hi, I am using the MinionPro fonts along with the LaTeX support files and pdflatex. I just noticed that the circled R symbol I get with \textregistered command is too small; I mean, it is almost impossible to read it. I have never seen this problem when I use other fonts. I am using the textcomp package also in my preamble. Is this normal and how to correct this? I would appreciate any suggestions. Regards, Tariq On 29 juil, 00:44, Tariq <tariq.per...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I am using the MinionPro fonts along with the LaTeX support files and > pdflatex. I just noticed that the circled R symbol I get with > \textregistered command is too small; I mean, it is almost impossible > to read it. I have never seen this problem when I use other fonts. I > am using the textcomp package also in my preamble. Is this normal and > how to correct this? I would appreciate any suggestions. Regards, > > Tariq The problem doesn't stem from LaTeX but from the font itself: the circled R is very small indeed. I suppose you should change font size when using it. Best, Paul On Jul 28, 7:56=A0pm, zappathustra <zappathus...@free.Fr> wrote: > > The problem doesn't stem from LaTeX but from the font itself: the > circled R is very small indeed. I suppose you should change font size > when using it. > > Best, > Paul Thanks Paul for the answer. Yes, I did notice that the problem li...

Problem using the ODBC text driver
Hi. I have the following problem - I am using the ODBC driver to open in Access a recordset based on a text file, using Set objRecordset = objDB.OpenRecordset(m_strImportTxtFileName, , dbReadOnly) The requirement is for the text file NOT to have a txt or csv extension, for "security reasons" - the customer should not be able to easily open the file. Anyway, we have decided on a "DIS" extension. The interesting part is this - on my development machine, I can open the file just fine with the above mentioned line. On the clients' machines, however, the following error p...

problem using pfa fonts with tetex
Hi, I've got a problem using custom .pfa fonts with latex, dvips, and pdflatex. For the document I am writing I need to use custom fonts. I wrote a few metafont files describing the characters and latex doesn't have any problem picking them up and processing them automatically if I put the ..mf files in the same directory with the .tex document. However, these custom characters don't look nice in acrobat reader. So I converted the ..mf files into .pfa files using mftrace. I naively thought that I will be all set if I just put those .pfa files into the same directory as the documen...

problem with inserting text using mbtPdfAsm
hello I try to insert text in PDF files using mbtPdfAsm tool. This tool insert a font object and a text objet corresponding to the text to be inserted (here a number) The instructions for the text insertion are: BT /F255 10 Tf 0.0 0.0 0.0 rg 1.0 0.0 -0.0 1.0 10 10 Tm 0 Tr (0) Tj ET Those instructions theoricaly produce the display of number 0. But not in all pdf files. In some (very few indeed) pdf files, correctly formated, nothing appears near the left bottom corner (10, 10) ? I can't find why ? any idea ? Thank you in advance thierry "thierry" <thi...

Problem using color and graphicx in plain TeX
I put pictures in plain TeX documents using \input graphicx \includegraphics{MyPicture} \bye I can also color text with \input color \textcolor{red}{bbb} \bye But I am not able two get both color AND pictures. The following example \input color \input graphicx \bye produces the error message ! Use of \@ doesn't match its definition. l.27 \@m akeother\"% Changing the order of the \input's produces a different message: ! Undefined control sequence. <argument> \@notdefinable \@secondoftwo #1#2->#2 l.72 ...nextchar[\@undeclaredcolor\@declaredcolor} I am using pdftex in MacOS X 10.4.3 ( Gerben Wierda's installation) and TeXshop. From the log window: This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5) How can I make the two packages work together? Thank you in advance, Julian Aguirre Universidad del Pais Vasco Julian Aguirre wrote: > I put pictures in plain TeX documents using > > \input graphicx > \includegraphics{MyPicture} > \bye > > I can also color text with > > \input color > \textcolor{red}{bbb} > \bye > > But I am not able two get both color AND pictures. The following example > > \input color > \input graphicx > \bye > This: \input color \makeatletter \input graphicx \bye seems to work. When I need graphics or color in plain tex, I use the following code in a personal macro file: \input miniltx \makeatletter \ifx\Gin@driver\undefined \def\G...

Problem with text symbols when using display function.
Hi is there a possibilty to use Word Symbols (Word--->Insert Symbol---> like: &#8962; &#8976; &#9567; &#9568; &#9569;&#9572; &#9579; &#9600; &#9827; &#9617; &#9618; &#9619; &#9619; )? In other words, when I use in Mcode >>display('&#8962; &#8976; &#9567; &#9568; &#9569; &#9572; &#9579; &#9600; &#9827;&#9617; &#9618; &#9619; &#9619; ') it gives back >>????????????? when just written in Command Window, it gives back nothing. Thank you for your help, regards...

Using DISLIN in Fortran and TeX fonts not working
Hello All: I am not sure if this is the place to post as it is more of a DISLIN question, but I am using it it with Fortran77, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has this problem, or better, has the solution! :) I am trying to use the TeX fonts in a code using DISLIN as my visualization tool. To test the work out I tried the Fortran77 program found here: http://www.mps.mpg.de/dislin/exa_f77.html#section_14 Some other information. I am using DISLIN 9.1 and have TeXLive 2007 on my Kubuntu 6.06 computer at home. The above program does not seem to recognise the TeX calls at all. I was won...

using TeX characters in a GUI text box
I am trying to use a TeX character such as the Greek letter mu in a GUI textbox, but I cannot get this to work. If I try to set the 'string' property for the GUI object using '\mu' this just displays '\mu'. Is there a way I can use the 'text' command as you would for a figure to put Greek letters into GUI objects? "Sean Larkin" <slarkin71278@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <gk37he$t7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Is there a way I can put Greek letters into GUI objects? I don't know for sure, but you might be able to do this using ...

font problem with import text wizard in ACC97
Greetings When I use the import text wizard with a fixed width text file, I add a break at the correct column but it doesn't line up with the text. It seems that the display is shown in a non-proportional font. When I look at the text file in notepad it's all nicely lined up but in the wizard it's all over the place. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm using Access 97 and Windows 98. Also found the same thing with XP (I have a dual boot) Thanks ,-._|\ David Aylott (Author of Access Version Checking utility) / Oz \ Email: http://www.aylott.com.au/feedback.htm \_,...

Saving text for later use (scoping problem?)
Hello: I am attempting to override the definition for \footnote in the new document class that I am developing for typesetting large posters. I want to be able to save the text of all of the footnotes so that I can place them in a box at the bottom of the poster. My new definition of \footnote looks like this: \renewcommand{\footnote}[1]% {% \addtocounter{myfncounter}{1}% $^{\arabic{myfncounter}}$% <what command to use to save the text in #1 so that I can use it later?> } I attempted to create a new command that would simply hold the text for the footnote, but this creates a scoping problem. I can perform \newcommand{\allfntext}{} at glolbal scope and then perform a renew command inside the new definition of footnote to update \allfntext to hold the text of the footnote, but this change is lost as soon as I leave the scope of \renewcommand{\footnote}. I can't simply use \AtEndDocument within \footnote because I want to join the text of all the footnotes together to put them inside a single box and I am already use \AtEndDocument at global scope to close out center and multicol environments which results in the footnote text being displayed after these environments have been closed. My question is: Is there a way to declare a globally scoped 'variable' to hold text that will retain its value when modified within a definition of another command? How would I append text to this variable rather than simply overwritting its value each time footnote is...

using emacs generated CJK file in TeX
Okay, thanks to Peder Axensten's very generous editng posting of Olivier Delloye's instructions, I now have CJK working in TeXshop. Unfortunately, I did this so as to typeset a paper composed in emacs, and something's not quite agreeing betwixt the twain. The header of the paper in question is (now): \documentclass[preprint,numbersec]{ltugproc} \usepackage{array,verbatim} \usepackage{hgmacs,pinyin} \usepackage[dvips]{graphics} and I've added: \usepackage[encapsulated]{CJK} \usepackage{ucs} \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc} which seems to not quite be compatible. I now get ...

Web resources about - Problem using CJK fonts - comp.text.tex

How do you absolve a problem like Maria?
The way this looks and walks and quacks, it is beginning to appear very much like a duck.

How do you absolve a problem like Maria?
The way this looks and walks and quacks, it is beginning to appear very much like a duck.

The Road Not Taken: Not My Problem
Sometimes someone has to look at the end-goal and say, “That isn’t our goal and this isn’t our problem.

IRS shuts down identity security tool for taxpayers due to security problems
The Internal Revenue Service has temporarily suspended use of its Identity Protection PIN tool "as part of its ongoing security review," according ...

GM recalls Colorado, Canyon, and Malibu for airbag problem
Filed under: Recalls , Chevrolet , GM , GMC , Safety , Sedan , Truck GM is recalling the 2016 Chevy Colorado, Malibu, and GMC Canyon for the ...

One simple solution to dozens of problems you might be having with your iPhone
Not every iPhone update is a winner. Sometimes apps don't work correctly, the battery life takes or a whole host of other issues might arise. ...

America's $400 billion warplane is experiencing another major problem
The F-35 has some significant bugs and the Department of Defense recommends increasing the frequency of testing for the plane. A Pentagon report ...

Students Not Reading Email? That’s Their Problem
... of course, truly vital information deserves an old-fashioned conversation. Students’ failure to read email, however, isn’t faculty’s problem. ...

Renewables Could Hold The Key To China’s Water Problems
... improved plant cooling technologies for existing power plants, could go a [&hellip Renewables Could Hold The Key To China’s Water Problems ...