Problems with two toc's - "I can't write on file *.toc"

Hi

I am trying to add two tables of contents to my document using the
memoir class. I would like tio have a short and a long toc like in the
memoir manual.

I however get an error

I can't write on file 'twoTocs.toc'

where twoTocs.tex is my test document. It seems that the file is
locked by som eother process.

I have used the example by Marting J=F8rgensen:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/c0bcc931b=
c12c962/bb474c2704f83e4e?lnk=3Dgst&q=3Dmemmanadd.pdf#bb474c2704f83e4e

Taken from memmanadd.pdf

I have seen elsewhere that other people using windows have the same
problem that the .toc-file is locked by the first \tableofcontents
command, so when the second command is called, the file is locked by
pdflatex.

I am running MikTex+TeXnicCenter on Windows Vista

Any suggestions?

best regards

Kim
0
kigha (10)

granly wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to add two tables of contents to my document using the
> memoir class. I would like tio have a short and a long toc like in the
> memoir manual.
>
> I however get an error
>
> I can't write on file 'twoTocs.toc'
>
> where twoTocs.tex is my test document. It seems that the file is
> locked by som eother process.
>
> I have used the example by Marting J´┐Żrgensen:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/c0bcc931bc12c962/bb474c2704f83e4e?lnk=gst&q=memmanadd.pdf#bb474c2704f83e4e
>
> Taken from memmanadd.pdf
>
> I have seen elsewhere that other people using windows have the same
> problem that the .toc-file is locked by the first \tableofcontents
> command, so when the second command is called, the file is locked by
> pdflatex.
>
> I am running MikTex+TeXnicCenter on Windows Vista
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> best regards
>
> Kim

Here is a very small example, I do not use windows, so could you please
test this on windows. dlfltxbtocconfig is available on CTAN, I use it to
make the short and normal toc in my LaTeX book.

\documentclass[a4paper]{memoir}
\usepackage{lipsum,dlfltxbtocconfig,calc}
\begin{document}
\MakeShortToC
\MakeNormalToC
\chapter{test1}

\section{sec1}

\subsection{subsec1}

\lipsum

\chapter{test2}

\section{sec2}

\subsection{subsec2}

\lipsum

\chapter{test3}

\section{sec3}

\subsection{subsec3}

\lipsum

\end{document}

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/    (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif2 (2648)
11/25/2008 9:32:54 AM
Am Tue, 25 Nov 2008 01:25:19 -0800 (PST) schrieb granly:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to add two tables of contents to my document using the
> memoir class. I would like tio have a short and a long toc like in the
> memoir manual.
>
> I however get an error
>
> I can't write on file 'twoTocs.toc'
>

> I am running MikTex+TeXnicCenter on Windows Vista
>
> Any suggestions?

This is probably due to a bug in the miktex binaries which has been
resolved in the meantime.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2006498&group_id=10783&atid=110783

So update miktex.

--
Ulrike Fischer
0

Thank you for both your posts

I had ran the update wizard of MikTeX before writing the post. It
didnt help.

I had seen your remark elsewhere Ulrike, and I assumed that my updated
system would work.

However I gave daleif's example to one of my colleagues, and he could
run it. It turns out he is running MikTeX 2.7 and I was running MikTeX
2.6. I thought that the binaries would be updated for 2.6 also, but I
might be wrong. I am making a clean install of MikTeX 2.7 at the
moment, and I will get back.

thanks again.

Kim

0
kigha (10)
11/25/2008 11:55:48 AM
Hi again

It works like a charm now.

So you need to have MikTeX 2.7 to have two toc's,

It is not enough to update MikTeX 2.6 with the update wizard.

Thanks for the help
:o)

Kim
0
kigha (10)
11/25/2008 1:07:14 PM
granly wrote:
> Hi again
>
> It works like a charm now.
>
> So you need to have MikTeX 2.7 to have two toc's,
>
> It is not enough to update MikTeX 2.6 with the update wizard.
>
> Thanks for the help
> :o)
>
> Kim

maybe the miktex update does not upgrade it only updates the installed
release.

--

/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address)

LaTeX FAQ:      http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
LaTeX book:     http://www.imf.au.dk/system/latex/bog/    (in Danish)
Remember to post minimal examples, see URL below
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=minxampl
http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/mini-en.html
0
daleif2 (2648)
11/25/2008 1:39:36 PM
Am Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:39:36 +0100 schrieb Lars Madsen:

> granly wrote:
>> Hi again
>>
>> It works like a charm now.
>>
>> So you need to have MikTeX 2.7 to have two toc's,
>>
>> It is not enough to update MikTeX 2.6 with the update wizard.
>>
>> Thanks for the help
>> :o)
>>
>> Kim
>
> maybe the miktex update does not upgrade it only updates the installed
> release.

It could also be that the bug sneaked in july in both versions but was
corrected only for 2.7.

--
Ulrike Fischer
0

why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's of large size?
why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's of large size? entrepreneur schrieb: > why search engines don't or can't index all parts of a file when it's > of large size? A search engine cannot distinguish between files that are stored physically on a webserver and answers that are generated on the fly, like by scripts. It's a simple exercise to generate a cgi script that generates a list of some million random words, even non-stop-words. So the programmers of a search engine must apply different strategies to hand...

Maybe it's a security problem? File() can't see remote drives
It seems that the java.io.File() class can't see files and directories on other computers on a particular Windows network. For example: C:\ is a local drive Z:\ is a mapped drive on another computer (new File("C:\\mydir\myfile.txt")).exists() == true; (new File("Z:\\mydir\myfile.txt")).exists() == false; myfile *does* exist on the Z: drive. You can navigate to it using Windows Explorer, click on it, and edit it. You can also cd to this drive at the command prompt. My best guess is that this is a security/authentication issue. The network uses Active Directory to au...

Can't mount CD's or DVD's
The system: Dual Core Athlon 4Gig Mem. OS Opensuse 10.0 Kernel 2.6.13-15.12-smp x86_64 I've got 2 DVD drives. A cheap IDE DVD burner that lists as "DC DQ60" under the hardware listing and an old Creative SCSI DVD-RAM RAM1220S. They both were previously working fine 2 or 3 weeks ago. Now neither one will mount any media I place in either one. I tried several CD's and DVD's that all mount fine in both a Suse 10.1 system and a RedHat EL 4.0 system. They contain various OS installs. Both drives are recognized and are listed in the YaST hardware listing. Both drives open wh...

I can't believe there's a bug in re's but why does this not work?
Note: the string below is html but I had to replace the less-than and greater-than in order to get this nntp server to accept my post. Example 1 (works) --- set string {@li@@a href="xxxxx"@ONE@/a@ (@a href="xxxxxx"@TWO@/a@): @strong@THREE@/strong@ (yyyyyy) @strong@/ FOUR@/strong@ (yyyy) @em@FIVE@/em@ zzzzzz@} regexp -nocase {@li@(.*)@strong@(.*)@/strong@(?:.*@em@(.*)@/em@)?} $string -@ v1 v2 v3 puts "v1=$v1" puts "v2=$v2" puts "v3=$v3" --- prints: v1=@a href="xxxxx"@ONE@/a@ (@a href="xxxxxx"@TWO@/a@): @strong@THREE@/strong@ (yyyyyy) v2=/ FOUR v3=FIVE Example 2 (does not work, is a bug, or I don't understand this re) The non-greedy .*? should match the shortest sequence, right? It seems that using .*? sets a flag that is somehow not reset for subsequent greedy matches. --- regexp -nocase {@li@(.*?)@strong@(.*)@/strong@(?:.*@em@(.*)@/em@)?} $string -@ v1 v2 v3 puts "v1=$v1" puts "v2=$v2" puts "v3=$v3" --- prints: v1=@a href="xxxxx"@ONE@/a@ (@a href="xxxxxx"@TWO@/a@): v2=THREE v3= What I'm trying to do is to match everything between the 1st @strong@ and the last @/strong@. The above example does not even do that. In addition, v3 is not even set. Am I not understanding this non-greedy re or is this a bug? -- the.tick AT gmx DOT com Whoops. ...

! I can't write on file `MEP.dvi'.
Hi all, I'm using Miktex 2.6 (miktex 2.4 was much faster!!!) Windows XP and WinEdt 5.5. When I compile my code MEP.tex, after a while, I get the following message : ! I can't write on file `MEP.dvi'. Please type another file name for output: If I close the compilation windows, everything gets fine but I have to close it and it is not convenient...If I close Yap, everything works fine as well until I get the error message again!! I tried several things in WinEdt 5.5 under 'Options' and 'Execution modes' but without success. Would you know any medication ? Thank ...

Can't relogin to site
Rather than me explain the problem, read this exchange of emails between my web host and myself, then tell me what I can tell them! I had a problem with their admin site all day, and after me saying "can't log in", and them saying "nothing wrong", I sent the following: ------------------------------------------------------ > Found it! Tried it with 3 browsers now (IE, Opera, Firefox), and the > result is that I've just discovered a problem with your site... > It sets a cookie, PHPSESSID, with a value. If I get timed out or log out, > I cannot log i...

Can't cd to id's home directory that's not in /etc/passwd.
I've got two servers running Solaris 8 and configure with NIS. > The problem is that logging in with my user id puts me in a > guest directory with my unix id as the name of the home directory. > nodenam-1> pwd > /export/home/tmp/myuser id > > The other server says: > No directory! Logging in with home=/ > Last login: Tue Mar 15 14:47:03 from arc2t0am > Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.8 Generic Patch December 2002 > $ pwd > / > > Both /etc/passwd files are the same on both servers: > > $ more /etc/passwd > root:x:...

I don't mind Linux. It's the fan club I can't stand.
Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500, Ana Thema wrote: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. Ana Thema ... a witch in search of batteries... -- Rick <http://ricks-place.tripod.com/sound/2cents.wav> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ana Thema <anathema@gmail.net> wrote on Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:42:08 -0500 <o96ou15hrlhepdpdr7pkbefq3ep4e31ve1@ax4.com>: > Linux: A sheer waste of processing time. > Well of course it is; everyone should just use Windows instead. The occasional hangs, glitches, and crashes are more than compensa...

can't open 'm file'
when i open 'file-> new-> m-file' this message.... 'Failed to open editor. Load of Java classes failed.' what is it? what is wrong with my computer~~ ninaki wrote: > when i open 'file-> new-> m-file' > > this message.... > > 'Failed to open editor. Load of Java classes failed.' > > what is it? what is wrong with my computer~~ I'm going to assume you're using some version of Windows. I know this is trite, but have you tried exiting MATLAB, restarting Windows, and then restarting MATLAB? Bob Pownall i did it.. ...

Problems with VG...can't varyon, can't delete, etc...
I'm guessing this sucker has been broken for quite some time: # lsvg intS80h5vg 0516-010 : Volume group must be varied on; use varyonvg command. # varyonvg intS80h5vg 0516-008 varyonvg: LVM system call returned an unknown error code (3). I don't need it, so I'll try to remove it: # odmdelete -q name=intS80h5vg -o CuAt 0518-307 odmdelete: 4 objects deleted. # lsvg intS80h5vg # lsvg -p intS80h5vg 0516-010 : Volume group must be varied on; use varyonvg command. # varyonvg intS80h5vg 0516-008 varyonvg: LVM system call returned an unknown error code (3). Crap,...

How can I tell if it is NFS's problem or hard drive's problem?
Hi, My file server is managed by NFS remotely. The I/O operations on my client system often encounters I/O errors, such as read or write operations from client to file server. How to tell what causes the problem? NFS or the local hard drive of file server? Is the error information from NFS different from error information from local hard drive? Thanks. Jack On Jan 22, 10:26 pm, "Jack" <junw2...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > My file server is managed by NFS remotely. > The I/O operations on my client system often encounters I/O errors, > such ...

How can I tell if it is NFS's problem or hard drive's problem?
Hi, My file server is managed by NFS remotely. The I/O operations on my client system often encounters I/O errors, such as read or write operations from client to file server. How to tell what causes the problem? NFS or the local hard drive of file server? Is the error information from NFS different from error information from local hard drive? Thanks. Jack ...

Can't Write Text File
I have PHP version 4.2.2 that ships with RH9. I want to have it write to a file like this: function WriteLog($sLogFile, $sMsg) { if (substr($sLogFile,1,1) != '/') { $sLogFile = realpath(dirname($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'])) . $sLogFile; } `echo "$sMsg" >> $sLogFile`; } On one workstation, I have this working great and it dumps a log file inside the web directory where this function exists, appending data to it. On another workstation, it doesn't write to the file. I checked security settings and these are the same. I then bounced the h...

The Two Steve's Just can't help themselves!
I think they are in cahoots with SNIT. Nobody could be that stubborn to reply that many times unless they are in on it!!!!!! Even my CMSA Offically Dead post has turned into one of their 1000 post back and forth retard sparing matches. In article <2412d.29795$zT6.19336@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "MuahMan" <muahman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I think they are in cahoots with SNIT. Nobody could be that stubborn to > reply that many times unless they are in on it!!!!!! Even my CMSA > Offically > Dead post has turned into one of their 1000 post back and forth retard > sparing matches. Yep Muah, you've become 'mainstream' since snit polluted this NG. I'd rather read 20 of your posts that one of snits. A good filter helps. -- D. In article <emteedee-830BAD.10330016092004@news.individual.net>, Mike Dee <emteedee@optushome.com.au> wrote: > In article <2412d.29795$zT6.19336@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "MuahMan" > <muahman@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > I think they are in cahoots with SNIT. Nobody could be that stubborn to > > reply that many times unless they are in on it!!!!!! Even my CMSA > > Offically > > Dead post has turned into one of their 1000 post back and forth retard > > sparing matches. > > Yep Muah, you've become 'mainstream' since snit polluted this NG. I'd > rather read 20 of your posts that one of snits. ...

Cron Problems, I can't see what's wrong
Hi, System is NetBSD 1.6.1 running on a Cobalt Qube 2 I've made an entry into the root crontab as detailed below, but it never runs. What am I doing wrong here? */5 * * * * /usr/local/mrtg/bin/mrtg /home/website/mrtg/router.cfg --logging /var/log/mrtg.log Cron is running as a daemon from startup and the command listed with it works when typed directly into a shell. Thanks in advance.... Bryan. On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Bryan Rushmere wrote: > I've made an entry into the root crontab as detailed below, but it > never runs. What am I doing wrong here? > */5 * * * * /usr/lo...

Can't get application's text to speak
I am using OS 10.3 why can I not get my text in Microsoft Word for X service release 1 to speak under the word menu sub cammand services ? It is grayed out. I can get the text to speak with Texedit. Do I need to turn on something somewhere? DJW <ddwr@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am using OS 10.3 why can I not get my text in Microsoft Word for X > service release 1 to speak under the word menu sub cammand services ? > It is grayed out. I can get the text to speak with Texedit. Do I need > to turn on something somewhere? Office for Mac OS X and Office 2004 don't support Mac O...

Why can't we 'tformfwd' a cp2tform(..., 'polynomial')
Hi, Just as an example: This is allowed xybase = reshape(randn(12,1),6,2); t_affine = cp2tform(xybase,xybase,'affine'); [x,y] = tformfwd(t_affine,xybase,xybase); but this t_poly = cp2tform(xybase,xybase,'polynomial',2); [x,y] = tformfwd(t_poly,xybase,xybase); gives an error "Function TFORMFWD expected T's forward_fcn field to be non- empty." I checked the code a bit and indeed, with the 'polynomial' case, the findPolynomialTransform() function has at its end trans = maketform('custom',2,2,[],@inv_polynomial,[A B]); wher...

Re: The Two Steve's Just can't help themselves!
"MuahMan" <muahman@yahoo.com> wrote in article 2412d.29795$zT6.19336@bignews5.bellsouth.net on 9/15/04 12:53 PM: > I think they are in cahoots with SNIT. Nobody could be that stubborn > to reply that many times unless they are in on it!!!!!! Even my CMSA > Offically Dead post has turned into one of their 1000 post back and > forth retard sparing matches. You used Steve's name in a subject line. He's gonna get pissed and tell his mommy. :) PS: If this thread becomes disrubtive to csma, I take full responsibility for my own posts. ...

Why can't I save this page as a file and where's the source html?
At this link http://biphome.spray.se/gunnart/video/ about 2/3 of the way down the page you'll see a section that says: Deshaker Deshaker is a video stabilizer. It has its own page *here* When I go to this page for Deshaker, and save as a file, I find that the html file that's saved is for the original page, not the Deshaker page. Further, the source html also appears to be that for the original page, not for the deshaker page. Why is this? How can I save this sub-link by itself to my hard drive? Thanks for all shared wisdom. Doc wrote: > When I go to thi...

It's 2008, and Linux can't move big files
"Hardy just cannot cope with big file moving on MY SYSTEM. I tried moving a file of 1 Gig and the whole system just froze. Only 1 out of 5 or 6 can be successful without crashing. I am running my STABLEST 2.6.24.18. I have no luck with other verions, they are the worst in terms of stability WHILE MOVING BIG FILES." http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=844005 On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:46:09 -0400, DFS wrote: > "Hardy just cannot cope with big file moving on MY SYSTEM. I tried > moving a file of 1 Gig and the whole system just froze. Only 1 out of 5 > or 6 can ...

Permissions 101
Is there a way I (with Admin privileges) can quickly change the characteristics of all documents in the Shared folder so that any user can delete a document there? I'm using 10.2.8. Under "Get Info" the documents show various users' names for Owner, Access = Read & Write (dimmed), then Group=Wheel or Staff, with Access=Read Only (dimmed) and Others=Read Only (also dimmed). Terry wrote: > Is there a way I (with Admin privileges) can quickly change the > characteristics of all documents in the Shared folder so that any user > can delete a document there? I'...

Something's corrupted? Can't overwrite files, etc
I tried installing an update of an application (Life Balance) and it sent my Treo 650 into a reset loop. Since then, I have been unable to overwrite files in internal memory by copying from the SD card using Filez; I get the error: Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() a (Classic Levels) followed by: Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() c (Classic Levels) followed by: Error: dm: Already Exists in copyItemVFSTToInternal() d (/path/on/SDcard/Classic Levels.pdb) followed by: ...

What causes the 'can't map file' error?
I'm porting open source for Linux to Mac OS X. I think I generated every .a or .lib but the final link gives an error message. /usr/bin/ld: can't map file: /Users/smcho/Desktop/OpenAccess/lib/mac_osx_32/opt ((os/kern) invalid argument) What might be wrong? ...

iTunes can't find 'IEtemp' file
iTunes v4.9 (17) on a 733 Quicksilver running 10.3.9, 640 MB ram My daughter is being driven to distraction by a constantly appearing error message box: >>The movie file "Org_00b94fa4.IEtemp"cannot be found. Without this file, the movie cannot play properly.<< Clicking off that message brings up a second almost identical message, only it is looking for a different file, "Org_058dlaaa.IEtemp". It makes it almost impossible to use the software; any action she tries to make, the box pops up...over...and over...and over...again. Thoughts on what I might do to f...

Can't read or write to Important.TOC
I filter all my important messages to a mailbox called Important.mbx After a recent computer crash, the only file that seemed to be damaged was the TOC (table of contents) file for this mailbox. So I now can't see these messages - which are the most important messages I have! Is there a way to rebuild or reconstruct the .TOC file? Or can I transfer these files to another mailbox where they can be read? (Since I can't see them, I don't know how to transfer them, but hopefully someone knows a way...) I will certainly be grateful for any help. David David <dkelley500@yahoo.com> wrote: > I filter all my important messages to a mailbox called Important.mbx > After a recent computer crash, the only file that seemed to be damaged > was the TOC (table of contents) file for this mailbox. So I now can't > see these messages - which are the most important messages I have! How do you know the toc file was damaged and what happens why you try to open the mailbox? Does it refuse to open or is what it shows wrong? > Is there a way to rebuild or reconstruct the .TOC file? If the toc file is damaged, Eudora will normally tell you so and it will want to rebuild it. Deleting the toc file will cause a totally new one to be built, but you will lose information like message status and labels. > Or can I > transfer these files to another mailbox where they can be read? (Since > I can't see them, I don'...

Web resources about - Problems with two toc's - "I can't write on file *.toc" - comp.text.tex