roman numerals in section numbers using titlesec

Hello.

I am using the titlesec package and am trying to figure out how to get
roman numerals rather than regular (hindu arabic?) numbers?

For example...

II. Methods

not
2. Methods

Right now, I have...

\usepackage{titlesec}
\titleformat{\section} {\normalfont\Large\bfseries}{\thesection.}{1em}
{} % for periods after section numbers

Where exactly do I add \Roman?

Thanks.  alan
0
aslitwin (83)

Alan <aslitwin@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am using the titlesec package and am trying to figure out how to get
> roman numerals rather than regular (hindu arabic?) numbers?
>
> For example...
>
> II. Methods
>
> not
> 2. Methods
>
> Right now, I have...
>
> \usepackage{titlesec}
> \titleformat{\section} {\normalfont\Large\bfseries}{\thesection.}{1em}
> {} % for periods after section numbers
>
> Where exactly do I add \Roman?

\renewcommand{\thesection}{\Roman{section}}

Ciao
Enrico
0
gregorio (1367)

section numbering in Roman numerals only under one chapter
Dear group, I would like to have the section numbering in uppercase Romans under one chapter only. I am writing my thesis and it is a custom to refer to the articles that the thesis is based on, with Roman numerals. I got some help from the MiKTeX user list and they provided the code below \documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{book} \newcounter{first} \makeatletter \renewcommand \thesection {\@Roman\c@section} \makeatother \begin{document} \chapter{Intro} \section{testing} \chapter{Results} \section{first article} \label{sec:first} \section{second article} \section{third article} Here I want to refer...

Dsum , using numeric & Text help with the Text bit!
Acc 97 Hi, I have the following in my query which works well if it is all set to numbers on table design. But what I want to do is where it states MC (short for machine name) use the actual machine name of which there are 5 off. therefore, on the table design I flick it over to text mode. the query throws a wobbler! and all I get is Error!! would a kind knowledgeable sole, show me how I need to modify this, so that I can use Text setting only the end parts as identified as "MC="&[MC] Note this works OK if all is numeric DSum("[tot]","[Query1]"," E...

s_nlnno
Some time ago I have implemented a DJGPP specific support to cope with the overflow of s_nreloc (number of relocation entries) and s_nlnno (number of line number entries). The need to handle s_nreloc overflow is clear but I have never found a case where s_nlnno had a value different of zero, no matter if I used the "-g" flag or not and no matter if the .c file itself had more than 65536 lines or not. This gives the impression to me that DJGPP does not use s_nlnno at all. If this is the case then there is no need for the s_nlnno specific changes I have done to BFD and I can remove t...

Roman numeral page numbers
How do I get roman numerals as page numbers in the pages before my first real chapter, that is, the pages with abstract, acknowledgments, table of contents etc. ? /David "David Rasmussen" <david.rasmussen@gmx.net> wrote in message news:410edfc4$0$180$edfadb0f@dtext02.news.tele.dk... > How do I get roman numerals as page numbers in the pages before my first > real chapter, that is, the pages with abstract, acknowledgments, table > of contents etc. ? http://www.ucs.ed.ac.uk/usd/scisup/faq/Latex/renumber.html --- Georgios Tagalakis David Rasmussen <david.rasm...

Using a numeric number with solve
Hi all I would like to use a pronumeral in the solve equation. For example in my program I work out HI6 = I6/2 + p [where HI6 = 0.9 for example] Now I would like to put this solution into a sovle equation for example rather than put in the value 0.9, i would like to write. [x1 y1] = ['y1 = 6 * x1 + .5', 'y1 = HI6'] I have tried [x1 y1] = ['y1 = 6 * x1 + .5', 'y1 = numeric(HI6)'] but this does not work. Is there a way to solve this problem? Many thanks Judith ...

Text file with numbers and text, want to just read numbers
I have a series of text files I want to read. The files begin with header information. The number of rows of header information changes, there is no commenting symbol such as %%, and the header information sometimes has numbers such as a date or a time. I want to read in the number and only the numbers. This is an example of a file: (Again, the header info changes, different # of lines, different text) Vector Signal [Measurement4]: 09/27/2006, 09:05:24 Units: EU Time Real 0 0.053732 9.6e-005 0.11968 0.000192 0.085483 0.000288 ...

Roman numerals in text mode?
How do I output a number in roman numerals in text mode? On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:59:53 +0200, Angel Tsankov <BigMan@abv.bg> wrote: > How do I output a number in roman numerals in text mode? \romannumeral 123 -- Morten Il 14 Sep 2005 05:59:53 -0700, Angel Tsankov ha scritto: > How do I output a number in roman numerals in text mode? why don't you read the fuc#ing manual and stop flooding one question at time?! -- ciao Bando Where can I find that manual? "Angel Tsankov" <BigMan@abv.bg> writes: > Where can I find that manual? Read the *thirteen* c...

Text before page numbers using tocloft
Hi! Is it possible, while using the tocloft package, to add the text "page" before page numbers in the toc, lof and lot? For example: Table of figures 1 Introduction, page 13 The problem in adding the word "page" to \cftXleader, for example, is that when a chapter* has no page number (e.g. titlepage), like "Table of figures" above, you got the word printed without a page number, Table of figures, page 1 Introduction, page 13 How can one avoid the printing without actually having a page number? Any help is welcome, Bernhard Enders. ...

Dsum , using Numeric and Text fields ????
Acc 97 Hi, I have the following in my query which works well if it is all set to numbers on table design. But what I want to do is where it states MC (short for machine name) use the actual machine name of which there are 5 off. therefore, on the table design I flick it over to text mode. the query throws a wobbler! and all I get is Error!! would a kind knowledgeable sole, show me how I need to modify this, so that I can use Text setting only the end parts as identified as "MC="&[MC] Note this works OK if all is numeric DSum("[tot]","[Query1]"," Ex...

Using fractions in section numbers and TOC
Here is a neat trick that other people may want to use: Background: I needed a list of US Navy submarines listed by type numbers to describe some historical engineering information. In a much simplified definition, these type numbers were created in 1917 to designate ships by type, i.e. DD for destroyer, BB for battleship, and SS for submarine. When they were added to the ships then built or being built, by a quirk of timing, one ship, a submarine was left off the original listing. The Navy in its wisdom, rather than remake the list of submarines, just retroactively added it to the list as S...

roman numerals page number variable
I am using Frame 7.2 and I inserted the page # variable. How do I change it to show roman numerals on one master page and latin? numerals on another master page? How do I even make it show roman numerals? jammer <jameslockie@mail.com> wrote: > I am using Frame 7.2 and I inserted the page # variable. > How do I change it to show roman numerals on one master page and > latin? numerals on another master page? > > How do I even make it show roman numerals? Numbering properties; Format>Document>Numbering, look in the Format pull-down menu. On Nov ...

Automatic chapter/section numbering for TeX (not LaTeX!)
Hi there!=20 Are there any macros/formats that provide automatic section numbering for T= eX (not LaTeX!)? Or have i to write my own code for that? If i got it right= , eplain does NOT provide for that, right?=20 Please: I am using TeX (ONLY)---so i=92m not interested in help for using L= aTeX stuff ;-)=20 Thanks all! Le 15/04/2013 11:54, a TeXnician a �crit : > Hi there! > > Are there any macros/formats that provide automatic section numbering for TeX (not LaTeX!)? Or have i to write my own code for that? If i got it right, eplain does NOT provide for that, right? > > Please: I am using TeX (ONLY)---so i�m not interested in help for using LaTeX stuff ;-) > > Thanks all! > You're not interested in LaTeX but will most probably have to get LaTeX code in order to get correct page breaks and sections numberings... Am Mon, 15 Apr 2013 13:08:46 +0200 schrieb GL: >> Are there any macros/formats that provide automatic section >> numbering for TeX (not LaTeX!)? Or have i to write my own code >> for that? If i got it right, eplain does NOT provide for that, >> right? >> Please: I am using TeX (ONLY)---so i�m not interested in help for >> using LaTeX stuff ;-) > You're not interested in LaTeX but will most probably > have to get LaTeX code in order to get correct page > breaks and sections numberings... Well, the TeXbook has been written in plain -- and it has correc...

Roman Numeral Section Headers, Center aligned
For a novel I am working on I need to make section headers that are nothing more than a roman-numeral center aligned. I've used the recipe on this page: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/15927784d73a4445/c40ded63bc7d47af?lnk=gst&q=section+roman+numeral&rnum=2#c40ded63bc7d47af This makes the section numbers into romans (and not decimals), but I also need to get my section headers centrally aligned on the page. Can anybody suggest a solution? Thanks In article <1174607617.507181.155740@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>, "Larss Talc" &l...

Cant use <input text as a numeric
In my script I have (I've simplified the code for this test)var tmpN = document.ScrabbleStopWatch.timeTotal; intervalMilliSecAllowed = parseFloat(tmpN) In the HTML I have<input type="text" onkeypress="return isNumberKey(event)" value="60" name="timeTotal" /> During dbugging I see that tmpN has a value of "60"But parseFloat(tmpN) has a value of NaN.I've tried different things but I can't seem to use document.ScrabbleStopWatch.timeTotal as a number.What am I doing wrong??Thanks What happen to my CR's??? Here it is ...

Change the roman section letter into usual number
I'd like to know how I can change i.e I. Section 1 II. Section 2 ...etc... into 1. Section 1 2. Section 2 Thanks "lien khuc con mai yeu thoung" <conmaiyeuthoung@yahoo.com> writes: >I'd like to know how I can change i.e >I. Section 1 >II. Section 2 >..etc... > >into >1. Section 1 >2. Section 2 this is (almost) the default; so what packages or class are you using that cause the sections to be numbered this way? the standard answer would be: \renewcommand\thesection{\arabic{section}} but it may well not work in a non-standard environment ...

sed, using line number to replace text
Hi, I am converting a .csv file into an HTML file, all looks good apart from one little problem. I need to make some sed inserts ( well I think sed will do it ), For every occurance of the word 'CLAIMS', within that line there is an amount figure. I need to make that number bold as well, so I need to insert a <B>, before the number. Using 'grep -n ' I can extract the line numbers, see below: 183:<TR ALIGN=CENTER><TH>33003</TH><TD><B>CLAIMS EUC</B></TD><TD></TD><TD> </TD><TD></TD><TD><...

text field only for text
Hi I would like some help about the following : I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I limit this situation ? So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. TIA Paulo "Paulo Rodrigues" <amigo.alf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:<newscache$kgmtmh$bb1$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt>... > Hi > > I would like some help about the following : > > I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I > limit > this situation ? > > So far, I couldn't...

using TeX characters in a GUI text box
I am trying to use a TeX character such as the Greek letter mu in a GUI textbox, but I cannot get this to work. If I try to set the 'string' property for the GUI object using '\mu' this just displays '\mu'. Is there a way I can use the 'text' command as you would for a figure to put Greek letters into GUI objects? "Sean Larkin" <slarkin71278@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <gk37he$t7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Is there a way I can put Greek letters into GUI objects? I don't know for sure, but you might be able to do this using ...

Roman Numeral Calculator
I am trying to write some code that will take a string and return the first character in the string without the use of arabic numbers (0-9). So normally you would type romi = 'MDCXI'; firstnumeral = romi(1); is there something like- head(romi); The only work around i have come up with is romi = 'MDCXI'; temp = length(romi)/length(romi); firstnumeral = romi(temp); which involves no arabic number in the code but uses one in the background. Any help will be much appreciated I apologise if this is a simple question which has been answered before. Cheers Jim Brook wrote: &...

Section text overwrites numbering in case of large TOC
Hello all, if there a more than 100 section in tableofcontents, then the section-text overwrites the section-number. Can someone help me? Thank you. Environment: using latex Document: \documentclass{article} \begin{document} \tableofcontents \section{section0} \section{section1} \section{section2} \section{section3} \section{section4} \section{section5} \section{section6} \section{section7} \section{section8} \section{section9} \section{section10} \section{section1} \section{section2} \section{section3} \section{section4} \section{section5} \section{section6} \section{section7} \section{section8} \section{section9} \section{section20} \section{section1} \section{section2} \section{section3} \section{section4} \section{section5} \section{section6} \section{section7} \section{section8} \section{section9} \section{section30} \section{section1} \section{section2} \section{section3} \section{section4} \section{section5} \section{section6} \section{section7} \section{section8} \section{section9} \section{section40} \section{section1} \section{section2} \section{section3} \section{section4} \section{section5} \section{section6} \section{section7} \section{section8} \section{section9} \section{section50} \section{section1} \section{section2} \section{section3} \section{section4} \section{section5} \section{section6} \section{section7} \section{section8} \section{section9} ...

Converting integers to Roman Numerals using switchcase and printf
I have to convert integers to Roman Numerals but I cannot have output in the switch statment. I also cannot use print or println only printf. I can't figure out hot to output without putting it in the switch statment. Help? A switch statement is shorthand for a series of if/then/else statements. dnlandes@gmail.com wrote: >I have to convert integers to Roman Numerals but I cannot have output >in the switch statment. I also cannot use print or println only >printf. I can't figure out hot to output without putting it in the >switch statment. Help? -- Regards, Casey Please do not top post. dnlandes@gmail.com wrote: >> I have to convert integers to Roman Numerals but I cannot have output >> in the switch statment. I also cannot use print or println only >> printf. I can't figure out hot to output without putting it in the >> switch statment. Help? Casey Hawthorne wrote: > A switch statement is shorthand for a series of if/then/else > statements. I read the OP's question as how to use a switch statement but not have output occur within it. If that interpretation is correct: If you cannot put the output inside the switch, where else can you put it? What information needs to be available at that point in order to produce the desired output? -- Lew dnlandes@gmail.com wrote: > I have to convert integers to Roman Numerals but I cannot have output > in the switch statment. I also cannot use print or printl...

how to use section *titles* instead of numbers in cross references?
I would like to have section cross-references in the form In the section ``Foobar'' of chapter 3 ... instead of the usual "In section 3.1 ..." (This is for a book in which the sections will not be numbered.) I've searched Google, CTAN, etcetera, and I can't figure out how to get the section title for a cross-reference. If anyone has any pointers, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! Steven G. Johnson On 2005-08-09, stevenj@alum.mit.edu wrote: > I would like to have section cross-references in the form > > In the section ``Foobar'' of chapte...

Footnote text disappears if used inside \mbox...any suggestions on how to keep text together within a line without using \mbox?
Hello, At the end of a paragraph I have a footnote and the footnote doesn't fit in the last line (Latex puts it in the next line and it doesn't look ok a line with a single footnote number). I tried to solve the issue using mbox, but although the footnote number stays in the last line together with the last text of the paragraph, the footnote itself disappears from the text. The text: ....As a result, $W-eH-Z$, where $Z\sim U[\underline{Z},\bar{Z}]$. \footnote{Alternatively, blabla.} My solution (footnote text disappears): ....As a result, \mbox{$W-eH-Z$, where $Z\sim U[\underli...

chapterbib + minitoc + natbib: problem using numbered section for bibliography
Greetings, When I use minitoc and the sectionbib option of chapterbib together, the table of contents works fine as long as the chapter bibliography is in an unnumbered section. If I include the line: \sectionbib{\section}{section} to produce numbered sections, the bibliography is included in the minitoc as expected. However, when I then add natbib, the bibliography entry becomes "BibliographyCONTENTSBIBLIOGRAPHYBIBLIOGRAPHY"! Does anyone have any thoughts as to what, if anything, can be done to circumvent this? I've included sample files below to illustrate the pr...

Web resources about - roman numerals in section numbers using titlesec - comp.text.tex

Numeral system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... with symbols. For the classification of numbers in mathematics, see number system . For how numbers are expressed using words, see Numeral (linguistics) ...

Super Bowl: NFL fights 'Loser' battle and ditches Roman numerals
The logo for the 50th Super Bowl in 2016 will take a one-year break from the tradition of using Roman numerals in favour of numbers, the National ...

Super Bowl Logo Goes Arabic, Dropping Roman Numerals
Super Bowl Logo Goes Arabic, Dropping Roman Numerals

Super Bowl L is for losers but NFL will return to Roman numerals after 50
Bad news for those of you who can't read Roman numerals: the NFL will return to using them after Super Bowl 50 just like they've done for the ...

NFL Not Into "Super Bowl L," Will Abandon Roman Numerals For One Year
... of the extremely dumb-looking "Super Bowl L." This is the first time that the NFL will abandon gladiatorial , perpetually-confusing Roman numerals ...

Clojure Kata #3 – Roman Numerals
... I’ve been practicing several different katas like Fizz Buzz and the Bowling Game . Another one I’ve been doing a lot lately is the Roman Numerals ...

Activision applies for ‘The Roman Numeral II’, other Black Ops 2 trademarks
... week related to Call of Duty: Black Ops II which is scheduled to be released this November. The trademark applications include “The Roman Numeral ...

Time for Tea Clock With British Cookie Numerals
Tea time is synonymous with British afternoons And there’s no better way of showing your fondness for it other than the ‘Time for Tea’ wall clock. ...

No, This Viral Image Does Not Explain the History of Arabic Numerals
... friends are probably going nuts over this image that claims to show how the early history of Arabic geometric design informs how we write numerals ...

NFL To Lose Roman Numerals For Super Bowl 50
... Bowl L." X, V and I are nicely symmetrical, but with the unbalanced L in line for the 2015 season, the NFL decided to scrap the Roman numerals ...