Spacing between text and equations.

Hello All,

I am trying to decrease the amount of vertical white space that LaTeX
allocates beween the ending of a text paragraph and the begining of an
equation. I am sure it is some little known length parameter that one
adjusts through
\addtolength

I did some searching around and I was unable to find it.

Also, is there a list somewhere that contains all the parameters that
can be controlled via the \addtolength command ?

Thank you,

Ashok

On 02-06-2005 18:04, nils_von_nostrand@yahoo.com wrote:

> I am trying to decrease the amount of vertical white space that LaTeX
> allocates beween the ending of a text paragraph and the begining of an
> equation. I am sure it is some little known length parameter that one
> adjusts through
> \addtolength
>
> I did some searching around and I was unable to find it.
>
> Also, is there a list somewhere that contains all the parameters that
> can be controlled via the \addtolength command ?

\abovedisplayskip

Read also Herbert Voss' Math Mode, which you'll find at CTAN at

info/math/voss

See the section 11.5.1.

Best regards,

Jose Carlos Santos
0
jcsantos (1101)
6/2/2005 5:12:57 PM
nils_von_nostrand@yahoo.com writes:

> I am trying to decrease the amount of vertical white space that LaTeX
> allocates beween the ending of a text paragraph and the begining of an
> equation. I am sure it is some little known length parameter that one
> adjusts through \addtolength

If you are being literal, then that is a mistake.  An equation
should never be the first thing in a paragraph.  Do not leave
a blank line above \begin{equation}.

But if you, as expected, mean the "text block" rather than a
literal paragraph, then \abovedisplayskip and \abovedisplayshortskip

> Also, is there a list somewhere that contains all the parameters that
> can be controlled via the \addtolength command ?

No, because they can be created on the fly by many packages.

\abovedisplayskip and \abovedisplayshortskip are built-in TeX
lengths, for which there is a complete list in the TeXbook.

--
Donald Arseneau                          asnd@triumf.ca
0

text-text

text + text

Text equation
The problem: getting a version of the equation environment which displays multi-line text, i.e. text in paragraph mode, rather than having the content processed in math mode. Following a tip at http://www.latex-project.org/ltnews/ltnews06.pdf I've come up with the following new environment definition: % TextEquation environment \newenvironment{texteqn}% {\begin{equation}% \begin{minipage}[t]{0.9\linewidth}}% {\end{minipage}% \end{equation}% \ignorespacesafterend} My (small) improvement is to include the [t] option to the minipage environment, to ensure that the equation numbering and the top of the text match in their vertical alignments. The minipage environment should allow, for example, list and enumerate environments to be used within the text of the 'equation'. I'd be interested to know if anyone knows of a better solution. GHF ...

aligning text with space-normalized text
I have a string with a bunch of whitespace in it, and a series of chunks of that string whose indices I need to find. However, the chunks have been whitespace-normalized, so that multiple spaces and newlines have been converted to single spaces as if by ' '.join(chunk.split()). Some example data to clarify my problem: py> text = """\ .... aaa bb ccc .... dd eee. fff gggg .... hh i. .... jjj kk. .... """ py> chunks = ['aaa bb', 'ccc dd eee.', 'fff gggg hh i.', 'jjj', 'kk.'] Note that the origin...

Pages

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

text 2 text

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

Text IN an Image To Straight Text?
Hi. (I'm not sure where to ask this so I'm trying a few newsgroups) I have some .jpg's of text documents. Is there a utility which will work like OCR in a scanner, helping to convert the text WITHIN the image to straight text? I don't have a printer working at the moment, or I'd print the .jpg's and then scan them using OCR. (The format doesn't necessarily have to be .jpg) Thanks in advance for any help GP Yes, if the image is not to bad a pic (not much noise and all that). Try http://www.twocows.com/windows.html I know they have a couple of ocr programs s...

HTML Text and Photoshop Text
Hey Folks: I thought it best to do title text in photoshop and bring into my webpage for a better quality look. But, using Composer, the HTML looks pretty darn OK. Thoughts? Composer? what is that.. I would much prefer using Adobe Photoshp for text titles. Their effects are nice & customizable & with CS2, you can do more with that. "Raoul" <gaycat56@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1132628078.236760.142570@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hey Folks: > > I thought it best to do title text in photoshop and bring into my > webpage for a better quali...

Overloading || ( text,text ) operator
Hi, I was trying to overload concat operator ||(text,text) such a way that it behaves like Oracle. i.e. I want 'abc' || null to return 'abc' instead of null. I know that it is not the expected behaviour in postgres, but since I am migrating the database from oracle to postgres , I need this behaviour. But when I try to drop the existing || operator, I get the following error ERROR: cannot drop operator ||(text,text) because it is required by the database system Also I cannot modify the application which runs over the database. Hence I cannot overload || (var...

Text ( unicode ) To Text (ANSI)
Dear Sir, I have a text file ( unicode) i want to transfer this file to text ( Ansi ) by command Read up on MultiByteToWideChar and WideCharToMultiByte http://windowssdk.msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/Intl/unicode_17si.asp ...

Highlight text in text box
I want to highlight any existing text, in a text box, when I click on it, like when I Tab into the text box. I can't find anything in the help. Any help is appreciated ShyGuy You can use selstart and sellength properties of a textbox in order to select any existing text. In order to select the whole text of textbox01, use, me.textbox01.selstart=0 me.textbox01.sellength=len(nz(me.textbox01)) Regards, Ramesh ShyGuy <shyguy@shytown.com> wrote in message news:<44nhi0d9qnsvdru1lu5l0d3ncuvuqsi39p@4ax.com>... > I want to highlight any existing text, in a text box, when I click on > it, like when I Tab into the text box. I can't find anything in the > help. > > Any help is appreciated > > ShyGuy I tried to send this twice and couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up. The I checked and realized that it was going to your email address. Don't know why.. anyway... Thank you very much. That works great with my text box. I tried it with a combo box but it didn't work. I tried adding SelText but it still didn't work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. ShyGuy On 23 Aug 2004 01:39:41 -0700, bhandaritwo@yahoo.com (Ramesh Kumar Bhandari) wrote: >You can use selstart and sellength properties of a textbox in order to >select any existing text. In order to select the whole text of >textbox01, use, >me.textbox01.selstart=0 >me.textbox01.sellength=l...

text field only for text
Hi I would like some help about the following : I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I limit this situation ? So far, I couldn't find literature exacly about this here in the newsgroup. TIA Paulo "Paulo Rodrigues" <amigo.alf@netvisao.pt> wrote in message news:<newscache$kgmtmh$bb1$1@newsfront4.netvisao.pt>... > Hi > > I would like some help about the following : > > I have a text field and I don't want it contains any numbers. How can I > limit > this situation ? > > So far, I couldn't...

Text disappearing from text fields...
Hello, I'm currently working with a MySQL backend and is trying to use FileMaker 9's Web Form capabilities as a front end. From FileMaker Pro's interface, I have used the ODBC to connect my FileMaker database to my MySQL tables. The schema and existing data records loads into FileMaker without a problem. However, when I'm trying to insert text (VARCHAR and TEXT) data from FileMaker, it blanks out and ends up only inserting a blank into MySQL. Default values set on the MySQL side only take effect if I left that field blank on FileMaker when I create a new record. Default field...

text in a widget, text-widget
hello i have an application with a couple of text widgets but i would like to add some functionalities that at first and second sight are not directly supported by the plain text widget itself - ? for example i would like certain lines of text within the textwidget to take different background colors according to certain parameters also i would like to be able to detect certain sentences or words that would become 'links' and by clicking them i would open up different windows any suggestions to solutions and widgets for the above problems ? - i probably could...

text file not mac text
please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. I remember 'forked files' but no details...... Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii text? thanks. cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote: > please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII > text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. > I remember 'forked files' but no details...... > > Is there a II utilty to '...

Text spacing...
Hi! ---- Does anyone know a way to render text with custom spacing (for example - 50 pixels), e.g. something like |f o o b a r| where each letter has the same distance from the previous glyph, regardless which font is being used ? For example the following code renders some Thai text using the "AngsanaUPC" font: -- snip -- /AngsanaUPC findfont 12 scalefont setfont 243 1870 moveto /chae glyphshow /ch9c glyphshow /chca glyphshow /chb5 glyphshow /ch9c glyphshow /chb8 glyphshow /chca glyphshow /ch8b glyphshow /chb4 glyphshow /ch97 glyphshow /ch9a glyphshow -- snip -- .... I'd l...

Flowing text around text
Hi all, Could please someone tell me how to get text flowing around a framed piece of text with colored background? Something like: text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text ----------------------------------------------- text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text ----------------------------------------------- text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text except that I am unable to represent colored background in ASCII. :-) Of course, I can always turn the piece of text into a picture and then use some package such as wrapfig to...

Text under an equation
Hello, There is an equation in witch I would like to write something under the equality sign (=). I try this now with \substack{=\\P.I.} but then the equality sign is not in the right place. Any idea what latex I need to use? Regards On Apr 21, 1:45=A0pm, Passien Begoen <passien.beg...@invalid.com> wrote: > Hello, > > There is an equation in witch I would like to write something under the > equality sign (=3D). I try this now with \substack{=3D\\P.I.} but then th= e > equality sign is not in the right place. \substack (as the name implies and the documentation states) is for *sub*scripts. You want something like \stackrel, but which places an argument under the relation. The amsmath package provides \underset{P.I.}{=3D} Dan ...

popup text when the pointer is on some text

Web resources about - Spacing between text and equations. - comp.text.tex

Equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mathematics , an equation is a formula of the form A = B , where A and B are expressions that may contain one or several variables called ...

UNSW research finds happy people do not live longer when ill health is removed from equation
Research investigated the conventional wisdom that happier people lived longer, and found there was much more to the story.

An equation that debunks conspiracy theories
... Grimes decided to try to create a mathematical measure for just how stupidly implausible that idea is—a sort of conspiracy probability equation. ...

Joe Biden and the Cold Equations
Looking at @FoxNews @BillKristol & @WSJ takes on Biden non-run, gotta wonder: Was it all an elaborate practical joke at GOP media's expense? ...

Community is king: a simple equation
... has been for some time. But what is community? Community, from the perspective of marketing and especially social media marketing, is an equation: ...

How to solve the STEM gender equality equation
It's common knowledge that women are underrepresented in STEM careers. What's less clear is what businesses can do to better attract and retain ...

Math whizzes recalculate beer-foaming equation
Just in time for St. Patty's, mathematicians from Ireland figure out how to put a better, cheaper head on your Guinness.

Page Thirty Three launches Tactile Equations homeware line
Australian design brand Page Thirty Three has released homeware collection Tactile Equations, which requires owners to 'complete' objects themselves ...

The Surprise Equation: Low Carb + Gluten-Free = Better Bread
Next time you dine out at a restaurant that serves a free breadbasket, watch the people around you. You’ll see some of your fellow diners eye ...

The People Equation in Shifting to a Customer-Obsessed Business
It's not news that the digitally-empowered customer is changing our world. What is news is (1) the pace needed to catch-up to an extremely dynamic ...