Strange Behavior from tlmgr

I installed MacTeX from the 2008 TeX Collection DVD and decided to
attempt to check for updates (presumably those updates which occurred
after the DVD was created).

I installed the Tk-804.028 package and did the following:

sudo tlmgr paper letter
sudo tlmgr location http://mirror.ctan.or/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
sudo tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra

all of which seemed to work fine. Then (as suggested on the
http://tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html page), I did

sudo tlmgr update --all

It appears that tlmgr is attempting to update EVERYTHING. It's been
running for two days now and still hasn't finished.

Three questions:

(1) Why is it doing this? I would have thought that only a few
packages would actually need to be updated.
(2) Did I do something wrong?
(3) Should I just let this thing finish or should I abort it prior to
completion.

Cheers,

Rick Aurbach

0
rlaurbach (5)

 Rick Aurbach <rlaurbach@gmail.com> writes:
>I installed MacTeX from the 2008 TeX Collection DVD and decided to
>attempt to check for updates (presumably those updates which occurred
>after the DVD was created).
>[...]
>all of which seemed to work fine. Then (as suggested on the
>http://tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html page), I did
>
>sudo tlmgr update --all
>
>It appears that tlmgr is attempting to update EVERYTHING. It's been
>running for two days now and still hasn't finished.
>
>Three questions:
>
>(1) Why is it doing this? I would have thought that only a few
>packages would actually need to be updated.

quite a lot has been updated, but by no means all.

>(2) Did I do something wrong?
>(3) Should I just let this thing finish or should I abort it prior to
>completion.

search me (i've not used mactex, ever -- i just do the mirroring of
the updates): i would expect that the tex live list, or a mactex
list, would be a better bet ... several of the developers i see on the
tex live list tend not to appear here much, and expect the same is
true of the mactex list.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
0

Strange text widget behavior on Windows
Consider the following simple script: text .t pack .t -expand yes -fill both ..t insert end "abcd\n\n" message .t.m -text "Text consisting of several words" ..t window create 1.2 -window .t.m set count 0 bind .t <Configure> { incr count .t insert end "<Configure> #$count width = [winfo width .t]\n" if {$count == 9} { .t delete 1.2 .t insert end "\nDestroyed message widget\n" } } By *slowly* resizing the window, you can see the lines written to the text widget by the binding script assoc...

Strange performance behavior of IXMLDOMNode>>text in DPRO 5.1.4
Hello all, I have come a quite a way in building my own framework to parse a particular XML file (that contains information about audio tracks). I can read and parse all the data, however the overall performance slows down dramatically with growing XML files. It takes about 3 minutes to parse an XML file with ca. 10560 tracks. When using Ian's profiler, I found that 80% of that time was spent in the method IXMLDOMNode>>text. After some more experimentation I also found that the bigger the XML file was, the longer each method execution took, even if it was for the ...

Strange color effect / strange behavior of selection tool
Hello, please consider the following problems with PS 6: I created a simple red symbol on white background, color depth 24 bit, but simple #FF0000 and #FFFFFF RGB. Now, when I store the symbol in .JPG format and load it later, is is still red but at the borders of the symbol it seems like the program tries to create an increasing "redness" from white to my color. So the symbol's edges appear somewhat "blurry". The second thing: When I use the selection tool to select a rectangular part of the drawing, after releasing the mouse button the selected rectangle is increas...

Strange color effect / strange behavior of selection tool
Hello, please consider the following problems with PS 6: I created a simple red symbol on white background, color depth 24 bit, but simple #FF0000 and #FFFFFF RGB. Now, when I store the symbol in .JPG format and load it later, is is still red but at the borders of the symbol it seems like the program tries to create an increasing "redness" from white to my color. So the symbol's edges appear somewhat "blurry". The second thing: When I use the selection tool to select a rectangular part of the drawing, after releasing the mouse button the selected rectangle is increas...

Confusing behavior regarding selected text in a text widget
Greetings one and all, I am having trouble understanding how lines of text that have been "selected" in a text widget are placed in the clipboard. Here's what's happening. I have a text widget that contains only lines of text. Some of the lines are covered by a tag that makes them invisible to the user. Specifically, if ".t" is a text widget, I have defined the tag "hide_tag": .t tag configure hide_tag -elide 1 and apply it from start of line through end of line. If one then "selects" lines of text that contain these "invisible&q...

Strange Behavior
Hi Everyone, I'm experiencing some strange behavior with a JSP that's been working normally for quite some time, and I'm curious as to whether anyone else has been having this same problem. So,.. here's the background; Running; Windows 2000 Server, Apache 1.3.28, Tomcat 3.3.1, JDK 1.4.1_05, I'm hitting against an Oracle 8i Database, and using IE 5.5 to access the page. Here's what happens; 1. - Delete the Apache/Tomcat Compiled version of the JSP in the Tomcat/work directory (.class, .java, and .ver files.) 2. - Restart Tomcat Service 3. - Access the JSP and enter data into the FORM. The form tag looks like this: <FORM NAME='main_RATING_CHAIN' ACTION='/ims/jsp/gen/PNM032E.jsp' METHOD=POST onSubmit='return checkForChanges(this,"ok","<%=cancelClick%>");'> - The JSP containing this form tag is: /ims/jsp/gen/PNM032D.jsp 4. - Click on the submit button. 5. - The data doesn't get submitted to PNM032E.jsp, but yet the browser brings me to PNM032E.jsp,.. I receive a nasty error 500 - NullPointerException (which I've traced to a request.getParameter("whatever"); ) 6. - Press F5 (while on PNM032E.jsp) 7. - The data THEN appears in PNM032E.jsp and the error 500 doesn't get displayed,.. everything then works normally, until I delete the compiled version again. Anyway,.. I know I'm not providing a lot of information, but I&...

Strange behavior
Why if, f.e., if I write in the page: var r = (document.referrer).toLowerCase(); var p = r.split("middle")[1]; document.write("-->"+p); it works but if I put this script in an external script and insert into multiple pages with <script src="my.js"></script> it doesn't? Help appreciated. Regards. -- Fabri ("Sono pi� di 30 punti...ma � come se fossere 8 o 9....") The code is fine, so long there's a document.referrer you can grab off the window.history stack, document.referrer returns the previous url in the history o...

Strange ME behavior
In my GUI I open up Excel using actxserver. I wanted to put in some error handling in case the user closes the Excel file themselves (since it is in my delete function to close the open Excel file). I had the following: try exlFile.Close catch ME if strcmp(ME.message,'Error: The object invoked has disconnected from its clients.') % do some other cleanup end end This didn't work, and it took me a long time to figure out why, so I thought I would share this. The ME.message is a 1x62 char. If you count the characters in the error message, there are only 60. ...

Strange Behavior
class Foo: def __init__(self, name, data=[]): self.name = name self.data = data def addData(self, val): self.data.append(val) f = Foo('a') f.addData(1) f.addData(2) f2 = Foo('b') print f.name, f.data print f2.name, f2.data ---------------------------- OUTPUT --------------------------- a [1, 2] b [1, 2] .....why would f and f2 contain the same data?? however, if I do this instead.... f = Foo('a') f.addData(1) f.addData(2) f2 = Foo('b', []) print f.name, f.data print f2.name, f2.data ---------------------------- OUTPUT...

Strange behavior
Hello I've been trying to solve the following issue on my Apache setup for a while but had no luck so far : Platform Linux RHEL 4.0 Apache 2.0.63 / PHP 5.2.5 1. wget -S http://mysite.com/index.php --22:05:35-- http://mysite.com/index.php Resolving mysite.com... xx.xx.xx.xx Connecting to mysite.com|xx.xx.xx.xx|:80... connected. HTTP request sent, awaiting response... HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:05:36 GMT Server: Apache Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, ...

strange behavior of ??
Hi, The definition of the m?? operator says that it only matches once between calls to reset. When I ran the following program I confirmed this behavior: #!/usr/bin/perl $_ = "Bilbo Baggins"; for($i=0;$i<5;$i++) { $a = ?Bilbo?; } That is, $a was set to 1 initially and then '' on every pass through the loop afterward. However, $a does not seem to be set to 1 at all in this program: #!/usr/bin/perl $_ = "Bilbo Baggins"; for (0..4) { $a = ?Bilbo?; } Initially $a is not defined and then it stays '' on each loop pass. I am running perl v5.8...

Strange behavior...
Hello, I have a report which is based on a query...in the query there are the following fields: 'StartDate', 'EndDate', 'CurrencyPeriod', ... in the report I have a header (dateHeader) which contains 3 textboxes: the first two are bound to 'StartDate' / 'EndDate' but the third textbox is unbound. The problem is now that I have absolutely no access to the field Me![CurrencyPeriod] in the dateHeader_Format-Event, I always get "Microsoft Access can't find the field 'CurrencyPeriod' referred to in your expression" (Runtime-Error 2465)....

Strange behavior
Folks, I've been using Macs since 1988 and I've never seen anything strange like this before. Intel iMac, OSX 10.6.5. In the last couple of days only, I go about my normal business (Word, Safari, Thoth, GraphicConverter, Fetch, iCal, Address Book, Dictionary, Eudora. When I casually look at the desktop, there I'll find a new folder. Empty, and with a three-digit number as its name. Any clues? In article <071220100049305287%HP@snotmail.com>, High Priest <HP@snotmail.com> wrote: > Folks, I've been using Macs since 1988 and I've never seen an...

Is this strange behavior?
Following is my code: include <iostream> class Test{ public: Test(){}; void print(){ std::cout << "OK" << std::endl ; }; }; int main( int argc , char ** argv ){ Test * test = new Test(); Test r = *test ; delete test ; r.print(); //this line , this line } I think the comment line will produce an error. But it output OK normally, is this behavior right? Hi Bo Yang wrote: > int main( int argc , char ** argv ){ > Test * test = new Test(); > Test r = *test ; > > delete test ; > r.print(); //this line , this line > } > > I th...

Strange behavior
I have one 2k access db with one table in it. Pc is w2k pro. When I try to update a field (whichever) through Access via Data-view (not SQL view) Access itself converts values from 'UD' to 'DU'. This happens ONLY on this client and ONLY for this type of value (UD) What is it? Any help much appreciated. Regards. -- Fabri (Incredibile come si tenda a credere di piu` a Rossi. (cit.)) "Fabri" <no@sp.am> wrote in message news:310sdrF34j744U1@uni-berlin.de... > I have one 2k access db with one table in it. > > Pc is w2k pro. > > > When I t...

strange behavior
I thought that output should be the same for all four lines but they differ. Am I running buggy perl? (5.8.0) use strict; use warnings; for my $i (0..3) { my $row=2; my $tmp = join ' ', map { $_ += 5*$row } 0 .. 4; print "$row - $tmp\n"; } ---------- Capture Output ---------- 2 - 10 11 12 13 14 2 - 20 21 22 23 24 2 - 30 31 32 33 34 2 - 40 41 42 43 44 -- Matija Matija Papec wrote: > I thought that output should be the same for all four lines but they differ. > Am I running buggy perl? (5.8.0) > > > use strict; > use warnin...

Strange, strange...
Hi All, I posted this already today and I am really getting bananas with this issue: Using Visual Basic 6.0, I am sending SMS. These SMS can be added to an Access 2000 table by users on the network. Everything works well when executing the code step by step (F8). I can trace this in the Access table, that reacts exactly according to what I was expecting. But, but.... When running the code, it looks like the records in Access are not updated quickly enough and, therefore, the SMS are sent more than once (up to 10 times for some). Here is how I open the table in the Access MDB: Dim Db2 As Dat...

Strange behavior
The problem described seems to be a windows problem and not an LCC problem. The results are the same with LCC, VC5 and VC6, leading me to believe the problem is with the MS runtime dlls. This code worked for severl days. EnterCriticalSection(&black_white); if ((smtp->white = locate(white_index, smtp->ip.key)) == 0) // the above code fails { if (locate(black_index, smtp->ip.key)) // ip on local black list smtp->block = 2; } LeaveCriticalSection(&black_white); Single stepping shows that the return value of locate(white_index, smtp->ip.key) to be (long)4, as it should be in this case. Today the above code stopped working correctly. The value of smtp->white remains at its initilized value of zero. When the next line of code is executed then the value of smtp->white becomes 4 but to late, the test has failed. The fix. EnterCriticalSection(&black_white); smtp->white = locate(white_index, smtp->ip.key); // force the returned value into 'smtp->white' before the compaire if (smtp->white == 0) { if (locate(black_index, smtp->ip.key)) // ip on local black list smtp->block = 2; } LeaveCriticalSection(&black_white); It would seem that under some unknown circumstances that the return values are delayed in being stored in the recieving variable, that or the compare is being done early. I do not think it is an optimization issue because I am running in ...

strange behavior
Hi, I ran into a strage behavior of mutt that really bugged me until I found an easy workaround. 1) type 'c' to change to a mailbox 2) type '=mailbox_X' type something 3) type tab to change to view a list of matching mailboxes 4) type 'q' - mutt returns to show 'Open mailbox: =mailbox_X' 5) type a character, e.g. 'x' - mutt deletes '=mailbox_X' and shows 'x' If you instead 5a) move the cursor 5b) type a character, e.g. 'x' - then mutt inserts 'x' into '=mailbox_X' I don't like mutt to delete...

Strange Behavior
The problem seems to be in c code calling ruby calling c code. ======== start test.rb puts "about to require curses" require "curses" puts "curses loaded" ======== end test.rb ======== start simple.c #include "ruby.h" int main() { ruby_init(); ruby_init_loadpath(); rb_require("test.rb"); return 0; } ======== end simple.c $ ruby test.rb about to require curses curses loaded $ gcc -o simple -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/i386-linux/ simple.c -L/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/i386-linux/ -lruby -ldl -lcrypt -lm $ ./simple about to require curses ../test.rb:2:...

Strange, very strange
Explanation is quiet long, but finally the point is really, really strange! I'm writting some client/server application. Communication is done by simple [socket], but additionaly I use DES and bas64 from tcllib. DES is used to secure transmitted data, and base64 is to allow transmit it (data) via simple ascii-translated channel (I just need it). Now: Server-side daemon listens on some socket and when connection is estabilished it starts to sending some data (simple text) using: puts $sock [::base64::encode [::DES::des -mode encode \ -key $password $data]] Clien-side application rec...

Strange behavior
Hi I have a strange behavior with this simple tasking example: https://github.com/Chutulu/chapter_17.git with Ada.Text_IO; procedure Two_Cooperating_Tasks is task type Simple_Task (Message : Character; How_Many : Positive); task body Simple_Task is begin -- Simple_Task for Count in 1 .. How_Many loop Ada.Text_IO.Put ("Hello from Task " & Message); Ada.Text_IO.New_Line; delay 0.1; end loop; end Simple_Task; Task_A : Simple_Task (Message => 'A', How_Many =>...

Strange behavior
Hi all, I was still fighting for monthes with unpredicable error in my app compiled in vo27b. For example: access violation when leaving the app. This error was coming after the self:exec() of the start function (and after the queryclose of the standardshell) or HyperLabel:Axit that is not found. Today, I have imported the Manifest module. Just to try. I don't have the errors anymore... but... all my menu and look is changed... due to the windows xp style... It's a dilema: update all my menu and button.. or deal with the error ! Any suggestion ? Jean-Luc Th...

Strange behavior
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C4A026.77A6FB90 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi there I was testing Postgre 8.0 beta2 dev3 with pgAdmin III and I found a strange= behavior with Blob: For this table: CREATE TABLE lo_test ( id serial NOT NULL, image lo ) WITH OIDS; When I try insert a record only with "id" value wihout image raise this err= or message: "ERROR: Invalid input syntax for Integer: "" " How to fix it ? Thanks...

Web resources about - Strange Behavior from tlmgr - comp.text.tex

Behavior - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Behavior or behaviour (see spelling differences ) is the range of actions and mannerisms made by individuals, organisms , systems , or artificial ...

Behavior Design - behaviordesign.com
Behavior designs interactive systems.

Behavior Gap - Exploring the relationship between people and their money. Behavior Gap
Watch it now. Watch the latest videos by Carl Richards on money, emotion, and meaningful conversations.

Dog Behavior Tips -Dog Owners One Stop Shop and Tips
Come and get some free dog behavior tips. Training your new or older dog can sometimes be somewhat of a task if you are new to doing it. Let ...

Modeled Behavior
A quick announcement: we’ve moved the blog to Forbes. You’ll be able to find us there at blogs.forbes.com/modeledbehavior , and soon modeledbehavior.com ...

Online Behavior - Marketing Measurement & Optimization
This website is a source of knowledge for website owners and analysts looking to understand how their online customers behave . But that's not ...

BJ Fogg's Behavior Model
... In addition, he devotes at least half his time to industry projects and innovations, all of which focus on using technology to change behaviors ...

Plant Behavior
The Society of Plant Signaling and Behavior serves the community of scientists interested in sensory plant biology, signaling, information processing ...

Ritualized behavior? Chimps all throw rocks at the same tree
... rocks. “It was unlike anything I had ever observed among wild chimpanzees,” said primatologist Ammie Kalan. Her team has discovered the behavior ...

'The Bachelor' just became the most hated man in ABC history and told 2 women he loves them — and there's ...
"Are you allowed to say that?" "I'm not." That question was the reaction one of the final two women on ABC's hit reality show, "The Bachelor," ...