Text after \end{document}

Greetings.

I have noticed that the implementation of LaTeX I use seems to ignore text
after \end{document}.  Is this behaviour standard?  That is, can I count
on it to be present in all conforming implementations of LaTeX?  Am I free
to use the part of the file after \end{document} for annotations, PGP
signatures, and whatnot?

Regards,
Tristan

--
   _
  _V.-o  Tristan Miller [en,(fr,de,ia)]  ><  Space is limited

Tristan Miller <psychonaut@nothingisreal.com> writes:

> Greetings.
>
> I have noticed that the implementation of LaTeX I use seems to ignore text
> after \end{document}.  Is this behaviour standard?  That is, can I count
> on it to be present in all conforming implementations of LaTeX?  Am I free
> to use the part of the file after \end{document} for annotations, PGP
> signatures, and whatnot?

Yes. In fact, the LaTeX kernel itself uses that to store information
on how to typeset itself.

HTH
 Ulrich
--=20
=E2=88=80x=E2=88=88=E2=84=95 or \forall x\in \mathbb{N}?
http://talcum.sarovar.org/  (Current release: 0.5.0 20050306)
0
brotherelf (665)
4/18/2005 6:12:47 PM
Tristan Miller wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I have noticed that the implementation of LaTeX I use seems to ignore text
> after \end{document}.  Is this behaviour standard?  That is, can I count
> on it to be present in all conforming implementations of LaTeX?  Am I free
> to use the part of the file after \end{document} for annotations, PGP
> signatures, and whatnot?

yes anything goes .. actually starting immediately after the closing brace
but for the sake of readability say on any following line

frank
> Tristan Miller wrote:
>> Am I free to use the part of the file after \end{document} for
>> annotations, PGP signatures, and whatnot?

That seems useful, but when sending and recieving LaTeX documents
through email, it would be just as useful if LaTeX ignored everything
before the \documentclass line.  How feasible would that be?

Jay
0
belanger (64)
4/18/2005 7:33:47 PM
Jay Belanger wrote:
>>Tristan Miller wrote:

>>>Am I free to use the part of the file after \end{document} for
>>>annotations, PGP signatures, and whatnot?
>

> That seems useful, but when sending and recieving LaTeX documents
> through email, it would be just as useful if LaTeX ignored everything
> before the \documentclass line.  How feasible would that be?
>
> Jay

no because that area can be used for al sorts of things

Here is an example,

%\RequirePackage{mathpazo}
%\normalfont
\documentclass[12pt]{memoir}
\usepackage{mathpazo}
\begin{document}
\the\parindent
\end{document}

with the first two lines outcommented like this the \parindent will not
be the expected 18pt, then try with the two lines included

--
/daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE for email)
0
 Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:
>> Tristan Miller wrote:
>>> Am I free to use the part of the file after \end{document} for
>>> annotations, PGP signatures, and whatnot?
>
>That seems useful, but when sending and recieving LaTeX documents
>through email, it would be just as useful if LaTeX ignored everything
>before the \documentclass line.  How feasible would that be?

filecontents environments (absent the filecontents package) *have* to
come before \documentclass
--
Robin (http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq) Fairbairns, Cambridge
0
Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:

> That seems useful, but when sending and recieving LaTeX documents
> through email, it would be just as useful if LaTeX ignored everything
> before the \documentclass line.  How feasible would that be?

I am not sure if something like this is possible, but I think I would
not like this. Currently pdftex has no commandline switches for changing
the map files used. So I use something like

pdflatex "\pdfmapfile{pdftex_dl14}\input{foo}"

to influence this. I think this wouldn't be possible any longer then.

cheerio
ralf
Robin Fairbairns wrote:
>  Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:

>>That seems useful, but when sending and recieving LaTeX documents
>>through email, it would be just as useful if LaTeX ignored everything
>>before the \documentclass line.  How feasible would that be?
>

> filecontents environments (absent the filecontents package) *have* to
> come before \documentclass

?

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{pst-plot}
\begin{filecontents}{data10.dat}
0 0 3 1 5 4
\end{filecontents}

\begin{document}

\readdata{\data}{data10.dat}
\begin{pspicture}(5,5)
\listplot[plotstyle=curve]{\data}
\end{pspicture}

\end{document}

Herbert

--
http://TeXnik.de/
http://PSTricks.de/
Herbert Voss wrote:

> Robin Fairbairns wrote:

>>>That seems useful, but when sending and recieving LaTeX documents
>>>through email, it would be just as useful if LaTeX ignored everything
>>>before the \documentclass line.  How feasible would that be?
>>

>> filecontents environments (absent the filecontents package) *have* to
>> come before \documentclass
>
> ?
>
> [..proof that it _can_ go after ...]

have to in the the sense of "have to be able to" as it might be the .cls
file or something needed by the cls file

frank

Jay Belanger wrote:

>> Tristan Miller wrote:
>>> Am I free to use the part of the file after \end{document} for
>>> annotations, PGP signatures, and whatnot?
>
> That seems useful, but when sending and recieving LaTeX documents
> through email, it would be just as useful if LaTeX ignored everything
> before the \documentclass line.  How feasible would that be?

it would be possible in theory but as pointed out by several people and a
good move as there are reasons to have something before \documentclass
sometimes so for 2e that alone would make it a no-go as it would invalid a
lot of documents.

however, if you are prepared to go "non-latex" and i look away :-) here is
what i always to in such cases when i want to make emails directly
latexable when saving to a file (at least from some mailers):

\iffalse

Hi Jay,

here is my little document to prove my point, just fix the content to make
it do what you like

cheers
frank
\fi

\documentclass{...} ...

Frank Mittelbach <frank.mittelbach@latex-project.org> writes:
> it would be possible in theory but as pointed out by several people and a
> good move as there are reasons to have something before \documentclass
> sometimes so for 2e that alone would make it a no-go as it would invalid a
> lot of documents.

Yes; I didn't think about how useful it was to have commands before
\documentclass.

> however, if you are prepared to go "non-latex"

Only temporarily, of course.

> and i look away :-)

If I use this, I won't mention it to you.

> here is what i always to in such cases when i want to make emails
> directly latexable when saving to a file (at least from some
> mailers):

Thanks; this is useful.

Jay
0
belanger (64)

text-text

text + text

How do I Copy an error message to a text document, as text?
How do I Copy an error message to a text editor document (BBEdit, to be specific) as just plain text (what I see in the notebook cell)? I think I've now tried every possible Copy and Copy As . . . option in the Mac front end menus for Mathematica 4.2, with the text selected and with the cell bracket selected; and every one of them (fourteen cases in all) gives me a messy version of the error message with a bunch of formatting markup stuff inserted. Frustrating!!! Seigman: Yasvir was correct in copying Input and Output Forms to plaintext. However, that is not the M...

How to select all texts of the document of the format of the selected text?
Hi,i have selected a text of the document with the specified font face, color and size in MS Word 2000. Now , I want to select all the relevant texts from the entire document with the same format(face,color and size) as of the selected text. so Is there any method or shortcut to do this op.? Not really. You have to "walk" the document checking the styles as you go along. And You have to watch out for cases where the style changes in the middle of a word (!) and code accordingly to get the desired results. chetan26nov@gmail.com wrote: > Hi,i have selected a text of the documen...

Forcing text to end of document
Hi all, I am preparing a manuscript in latex, in which I have to put the figures, tables and some additional text at the end of the document. Although placing the figures and tables at the end was not that hard, forcing text to appear at the end of a document (after the figures and table) is turning out to be not so easy. Does anybody know of any way to forced some text to appear at the end of a document, or generally, at any specific place in the document? I will greatly appreciate any quick help. Thanks, Gaurav Pandey PhD student, University of Minnesota In article <b9092af4-8e12-4ce7-9d8f-ba53f7c9b3d5@o40g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Gaurav <Pandey.Gaurav@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I am preparing a manuscript in latex, in which I have to put the > figures, tables and some additional text at the end of the document. > Although placing the figures and tables at the end was not that hard, > forcing text to appear at the end of a document (after the figures and > table) is turning out to be not so easy. Does anybody know of any way > to forced some text to appear at the end of a document, or generally, > at any specific place in the document? I will greatly appreciate any > quick help. You don't say what you've tried, but the following might get you going: (the lipsum package isn't necessary, but just produces some text to fill up the space.) Alan \documentclass{article} \usepackage[nofiglist, notablist]{en...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Pages

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

text 2 text

How can you get a form to display text from an external text document?
How can you get all the text from a text document (like notepad) and put it into a label? Also is it possible to change the text in the text document? Thank you. Hi James, You need to read the text file line by line, concatenate the lines together and then assign it to the caption of the label. Check out the Line Input # statement in Help. HTH Martin "James" <jas4@thanet.ac.uk> wrote in message news:1102928059.579651.251840@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > How can you get all the text from a text document (like notepad) and > put it into a label? Also is it possib...

Front end text formatting
Hi, I'm totally new to formatting in Mathematica. Please could someone help me make it so my default.nb does fractions that don't shrink in font size? Also, my table font is set to courier and the equations don't do italics as usual. How do I solve this? Many thanks well look hard for options - there are many that may help. here's a clue if you can't find any... on my box Mathematica doubles the Box height when I enter a faction and the fraction is the same size. try changing style sheets? Mine does that for Style Input but not Style Text. For style text the thing does get a double box size but still appears smaller StyleBox[FractionBox[x, y], FontSize -> 18] // DisplayForm shows it larger. there are a few ways you can wrap stylebox around every FractionBox whenever FractionBox is input or whenever it's output. see InputAutoReplacements for one way. Another way is to make FractionBox function yourself (call the orig. one but wrap it). Again there may be a Global Option for BoxData or RowBox I can't find that, using Style Text, chooses a bigger font. HOWEVER. If I change from Text style to Input it is changed: my 1/2 is fully double sized again automatically. ** I'd say pop open the Style Sheet and see where the difference is there ** sorry if that didn't help ...

text widget must follow end of text only if associated scrollbar is at bottom
I've created a text widget using Tcl/Tk 8.3.5 (can't use a different version) with wrapping enabled. The text widget has an associated scrollbar. Text gets continuously appended to the end. I'd like to be able have the text widget keep the last character appended within view as long as the scroll bar is at the bottom. If the scroll bar is not at the bottom (e.g. the bottom of the text is not within view), then the text widget would not change the visible text until the user dragged the scrollbar to the bottom of the text (or the bottom of the text became visible some other way)...

REXML feature request: XPath.match.text & better text documentation

HELP: Need text output for a .tex document
I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> Postscript). It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things like center and the list environment. Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to do anything like this. Please, someone, how do I do this. -- Reg.Clemens reg@dwf.com Reg Clemens wrote: > I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to > get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> Postscript). > > It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things like > center and the list environment. > > Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to > do anything like this. > > Please, someone, how do I do this. > convert to ps/pdf and extract the text using gsview/acrobat. note, you'll probably need to do some manual corrections. On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Reg Clemens wrote: > I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to > get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> > Postscript). > > It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things > like center and the list environment. > > Im sure that this is possible, its just b...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

ZZZZ New text 1/1 New Text Document.txt (1/1) 18
begin 644 New Text Document.txt 26EI:6EI:6B!);2!S<&5C:6%L ` end ...

ZZZZ New text 1/1 New Text Document.txt (0/1) 18
Wooo hoooo!!!!1 why are you testing here!! use another group please. Ed *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** Congratulations.....I think? :-) David Hodgkins, MCSD, MCDBA, MCSE JSTAR Software Solutions 4402 Sweet Cherry Ln. Kalamazoo, MI 49004 www.jstarsoftware.com - Home of AutoCompact for Access Databases 269-382-2931 ...

Highlighy text in Text Box
Using an InputBox, there is the option to *suggest* text (Default). It appears highlighted and can be accepted or replaced by the user. I am attempting to create my own input form which has one Text Box, one command button (cmdAccept ) and a simple label to tell the user to make an entry. What I cannot do is to mimic that suggested default input string. Can someone show me how to do it? The following code is from a test program with two forms. '#### this is on FrmMain Private Sub Option1_Click() ' Other Event selected - 14 character maximum With FrmBGOther ...

Text in images to a text file
Hello, Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up on a web site but as text. Darren <bobblebob@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151612491.407262.124690@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com > Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in > images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend > to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up > on a web site but as text....

raw text, source text?
I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails I get is bad. It has capital �'s all over the place. I can't tell the pattern. At the end of most llines and other places. It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like �tm And something it sends looks like ·� � � � � � �, Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny �'s that look like the surf coming in. Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he told me...

Overloading || ( text,text ) operator
Hi, I was trying to overload concat operator ||(text,text) such a way that it behaves like Oracle. i.e. I want 'abc' || null to return 'abc' instead of null. I know that it is not the expected behaviour in postgres, but since I am migrating the database from oracle to postgres , I need this behaviour. But when I try to drop the existing || operator, I get the following error ERROR: cannot drop operator ||(text,text) because it is required by the database system Also I cannot modify the application which runs over the database. Hence I cannot overload || (var...

Web resources about - Text after \end{document} - comp.text.tex

The New Old Age Blog: A Novel Way to Document End-of-Life Preferences
Researchers have stumbled on a way to persuade patients to plan for end-of-life care: convince their doctors to ask about it.

Civil War Surrender Document Shows Agreement To End War On April 9, 1865
... S. Grant after the final battle at the Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865, ending the American Civil War . Lee signed an official document ...

Osama Bin Laden Documents Reveal He Was Al Qaeda Leader Until The End
Documents recovered by U.S. forces that stormed the compound in which Osama Bin Laden was hiding in Pakistan, reveal he was the Al Qaeda leader ...

Listening Project to document culture, history of Lexington's East End neighborhood
The two year, multi-faceted East End Listening Project will record the memories and hopes of residents. "The main point of all of this activity ...

How Documents Stored On Box And Dropbox Could End Up On Google
... be as secure as you think. Both services, like other cloud-storage providers, allow users to share links to their stored documents. But sending ...

Dietmar Eckell documents plane crashes in his series, "Happy End" (PHOTOS).
For Dietmar Eckell, the journey to make a photograph is just as important as the final product.

Hootie…and Other Odds & Ends From the Clinton Document Trove
The William J. Clinton Library this week released hundreds of thousands of documents from the Clinton administration that highlight, among other ...

What You Need To Know About The Document That Could Help End Iran’s Nuclear Crisis
... ended on Wednesday, with no breakthrough but a large amount of optimism about whether Iran would be willing to officially implement a document ...

End of the Ministerial Red Box? Cabinet minister leading drive to scrap paper documents
Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude, who is leading a drive to enhance technology use across the public sector, has indicated he wants to see ...