text over PDF

Hi,

I would like to overlay text (especially equations) on a PDF figure I
included with \includegraphics in LaTeX.  The ideal solution would
allow me to align text left, right, or center of the specified
coordinate, and correct vertical alignment by values specified in ex
units.  I am using pdflatex.

I found the package overpic, and I am aware that I can do this with
Tikz/PGF, but I am curious about other solutions --- the faster it
compiles, the better.

Best,

Tamas
0
tkpapp (998)

Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to overlay text (especially equations) on a PDF figure I
> included with \includegraphics in LaTeX.  The ideal solution would
> allow me to align text left, right, or center of the specified
> coordinate, and correct vertical alignment by values specified in ex
> units.  I am using pdflatex.
>
> I found the package overpic, and I am aware that I can do this with
> Tikz/PGF, but I am curious about other solutions --- the faster it
> compiles, the better.

it's my impression that none of the latex-ish techniques are clear and
simple.  (a possible exception would be psfrag, but that's for eps
figures, which you can't do.)

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=labelfig

summarises my research in the matter; none of those process noticeably
slowly, i think, but i don't include any pgf-based mechanism (largely
because i don't know pgf beyond the "trivial intro" level).  i would
expect a pgf-based solution to run rather slowly.
--
Robin Fairbairns, Cambridge
sorry about all this posting.  i'll go back to sleep in a bit.
On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:37:28 +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> Tamas Papp <tkpapp@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to overlay text (especially equations) on a PDF figure I
>> included with \includegraphics in LaTeX.  The ideal solution would
>> allow me to align text left, right, or center of the specified
>> coordinate, and correct vertical alignment by values specified in ex
>> units.  I am using pdflatex.
>>
>> I found the package overpic, and I am aware that I can do this with
>> Tikz/PGF, but I am curious about other solutions --- the faster it
>> compiles, the better.
>
> it's my impression that none of the latex-ish techniques are clear and
> simple.  (a possible exception would be psfrag, but that's for eps
> figures, which you can't do.)
>
> http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=labelfig
>
> summarises my research in the matter; none of those process noticeably
> slowly, i think, but i don't include any pgf-based mechanism (largely
> because i don't know pgf beyond the "trivial intro" level).  i would
> expect a pgf-based solution to run rather slowly.

Thanks.  I think that I will try to get overpic working then.  I have
a specific question: is it possible to calculate coordinates for put
dynamicall?

I have already figured out how to align left and right, with a large
makebox:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}

\usepackage[abs]{overpic}
\usepackage{graphicx}

\begin{document}

\begin{overpic}[unit=1bp]{/tmp/foo.pdf}
  \put(200,150){200right}
  \put(150,150){\makebox(50,50)[rb]{left}}
\end{overpic}

but I want the (vertical) middle of the "200" at the coordinate
(200,150).  I need something like this because I want labels for
tickmarks to be aligned vertically in a consistent manner.  Merely
centering vertically does not help, because some labels have text and
characters that extend below the baseline mess up alignment.  I
usually just subtract 0.75ex to keep the baseline consistent, I wonder
how to do that with \put.  Also, calculating makebox alignment with
text width on the fly (using eg \settowidth) would be useful.

Sorry if these questions are trivial, I am a newbie to TeX
programming.

Best,

Tamas

\end{document}

0
tkpapp (998)

pdf \ text (get rid of text in pdf)

text + text

text-text

ANN: Fly Text to PDF

PDF image of text to readable text ?
Seems there are web based tools and software. My son needs text to have it read for him. He has a PC. Found PDF reader $50 , http://thurly.net/11ia and http://thurly.net/11i4 the last being google. Wondering what you folks found useful or use ? Thanks! -- Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden http://uppitywis.org/ live WI ...

Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text?
Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text? http://www.pdftron.com/pdf2svg/index.html The pdfTron PDF2SVG converter enables users to publish PDF documents in SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics), the open-standard W3C recommendation for high-end graphics on the web. The flawless conversion process produces compact SVG documents that can be viewed using freely available SVG viewers and plugins. "Dr Joolz" <jxm96c@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c1oo74$kkv$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk... > Has anyone tried PDF text to SVG text? > > pdf2vector is available in desktop, ser...

Pages

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter...

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

ghostscript PDF page extraction, leaving text as text
Ghostscript may be used to extract pages from a PDF file with a command like this: gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \ -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER \ -dFirstPage=48 -dLastPage=48 \ -sOutputFile=onepage.pdf input.pdf The problem is, while that page looks the same as the original in a PDF reader, it seems to be an image rather than an "object" representation. That is, open the extracted PDF in something like Acrobat or PDF XChange Viewer and "search" and "text selection" work, whereas in the extracted one neither function works. Presumably this is because the text has been r...

text 2 text

PDF Converter Pro
Anyone know how I can change the default font color and style for text boxes in PDF Converter Professional 3.0? Thanks. ...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

Overloading || ( text,text ) operator
Hi, I was trying to overload concat operator ||(text,text) such a way that it behaves like Oracle. i.e. I want 'abc' || null to return 'abc' instead of null. I know that it is not the expected behaviour in postgres, but since I am migrating the database from oracle to postgres , I need this behaviour. But when I try to drop the existing || operator, I get the following error ERROR: cannot drop operator ||(text,text) because it is required by the database system Also I cannot modify the application which runs over the database. Hence I cannot overload || (var...

matrix and text to a text file
Hi, I know some similar question have been solved before but I have been reading for a while and I didn't find the answer of my question so, I ask you. I want to create a text-file (.txt) where I will have some text and some matrixs. The format that i want is something like that: -Title- Name1. Name2. power(dbm): big matrix (12000X400) aprox frequency(hz) vector(1x12) aprox So, i created a m-file that can do this writing with fprintf every single character on the file using lots of for loops. It works good but if the matrix is that size it could take a time (about 7 min...

Highlighy text in Text Box
Using an InputBox, there is the option to *suggest* text (Default). It appears highlighted and can be accepted or replaced by the user. I am attempting to create my own input form which has one Text Box, one command button (cmdAccept ) and a simple label to tell the user to make an entry. What I cannot do is to mimic that suggested default input string. Can someone show me how to do it? The following code is from a test program with two forms. '#### this is on FrmMain Private Sub Option1_Click() ' Other Event selected - 14 character maximum With FrmBGOther ...

Text in images to a text file
Hello, Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up on a web site but as text. Darren <bobblebob@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151612491.407262.124690@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com > Does anyone know of any software for Linux which converts text in > images to a text file. I have loads of paper documents that I intend > to scan. The contents of these documents needs to eventually end up > on a web site but as text....

Flowing text around text
Hi all, Could please someone tell me how to get text flowing around a framed piece of text with colored background? Something like: text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text ----------------------------------------------- text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | | text text text text | Some piece of information goes here | text text text text | ...

raw text, source text?
I have two people who write me using Gmail and the format of the emails I get is bad. It has capital �'s all over the place. I can't tell the pattern. At the end of most llines and other places. It can't send an apostrophe correctly. Instead it looks like �tm And something it sends looks like ·� � � � � � �, Maybe this is just more A's but what it looks like in my email is some Germanic R with a big dot next and 6 tiny �'s that look like the surf coming in. Once a month ago the email from one sender came in looking good, but he told me...

Text Color in Copied Text
I use Mathematica for all my class notes, and occasionally copy things from code editors that use color to highlight different constructs. In an earlier version (probably 5.2) the color highlighting copied over when I pasted it into a Text cell, but now this doesn't happen - all b/w. I don't see any way around this. Any ideas? Thanks, Kevin ...

\pubid text overlaps with text
Hello, While using the IEEEtrans file, I put the \pubid{0000--0000/00\$00.00~\copyright~2005} before the \maketitle as directed. However, the body of the text over laps with the pubid text. What I am doing wrong? Thanks. ...

Text recognition and Text to speech
I'm working on a project for Blind assistance using OCR and TTS . if you can help with the CODES needed for both phases of text recognition and text to speech conversion ...

text file not mac text
please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. I remember 'forked files' but no details...... Is there a II utilty to 'convert' a mac text file to acceptable II ascii text? thanks. cornelio <cornelio@san.rr.com> wrote: > please remind me of the difference. An 8-bit prog. I have needs ASCII > text. if I save a file as TEXT or simpletext on a mac, it isnt accepted. > I remember 'forked files' but no details...... > > Is there a II utilty to '...

Web resources about - text over PDF - comp.text.tex

Text - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shaun Kenny-Dowall texts: The explicit messages to and from Jessica Peris - DailyTelegraph Search Search ...
HE scolded her for taking cocaine, accused her of cheating on him and threatened to throw her out of his house.

Ex-wife gives evidence about explicit texts
Evidence from Grant Davies' ex-wife about the exchange of explicit text messages with his dance students is heard by the Royal Commission. Vision ...

Wakefield chief found out about Brian Smith exit via text message
Coach Brian Smith's sudden departure from Wakefield first became apparent to the Super League club's chairman when he received a text message ...

tvOS 9.2 beta 6 w/ Dictation in text fields, iCloud Photo Library & much more hits Apple TV
Just over a week since the last tvOS 9.2 beta , Apple has released tvOS 9.2 beta 6 for developers with the fourth-gen Apple TV. Apple TV gains ...

Henry Gray, author of famous anatomy text, may have been big fat cheat
The history of Gray's famous text may reveal the anatomy of a jerk. (credit: Public Domain ) Gray’s Anatomy is easily recognized worldwide as ...

Texts from Hillary and Weekend at Bernie’s
The great state of Florida holds its primary elections a week from today. I got a text from Team Hillary this afternoon asking about my plans ...

Get Free Unlimited Talk and Text Using Google Voice and Hangouts
Google voice is a service that gives you a free phone number and Google hangouts is an application that lets you use your number to send text ...

Copy unselectable text to the clipboard with Textify
It’s a common PC problem. A dialog box appears with some key data, you need to copy it to the clipboard, but the text isn’t selectable, so you're ...

39 of the most hilariously bad texts people have sent their exes
"Texts from your ex" is a wildly popular Instagram account that chronicles the bad texts we, as a society, send our former flames. From drunken ...