thicker \hline before firsthead of longtable

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

I tried the following

----
\begin{longtable}{| l || r | r | r | c |}
\myhline
Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\
\myhline
Jack&12& 28&33&C \\
\hline
Paul&49& 35&60&B  \\
\hline
Michael&76& 38&59&A  \\
\myhline
\end{longtable}
----

with the following definition of \myhline :

\newdimen\arrayruleHwidth
 \setlength{\arrayruleHwidth}{1.5pt}
  \makeatletter
\def\myhline{%
  \noalign{\LT@sep}%
  \multispan\LT@cols
     \unskip\leaders\hrule\@height\arrayruleHwidth\hfill\cr
  \noalign{\penalty\@M}%
  \@gtempa}
\makeatother

(from  the longtable.sty  after  modification):

Now \myhline seems to work in longtable except the first \myhline
(before the first head).

When I use \myhline before the first head  I get the following message :
----
Overfull \hbox (0.93033pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 325--325
[]|\T1/cmr/m/n/12 Time
[7]
! Undefined control sequence.
\myhline ->\noalign {\LT@sep
                           }\multispan \LT@cols \unskip \leaders \hrule \@he...
l.373 \myhline

?
---

When I use \hline\myhline before the first head it works:
----
\begin{longtable}{| l || r | r | r | c |}
\hline
\myhline

Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\

\myhline

Jack&12& 28&33&C \\

-----

But how to modify the definition of \myhline to get
it working before the first head of longtable?

TIA

Jan
0
Reply mch2048 (14) 5/19/2004 2:17:00 PM

See related articles to this posting

mch2048@yahoo.com (jan)  schrieb:

> But how to modify the definition of \myhline to get
> it working before the first head of longtable?

You can use booktabs, and read the documentation about using to much
vertical lines.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{longtable,booktabs}

\begin{document}
\begin{longtable}{| l || r | r | r | c |}
\toprule
Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\
\midrule
Jack&12& 28&33&C \\
\hline
Paul&49& 35&60&B  \\
\hline
Michael&76& 38&59&A  \\
\bottomrule
\end{longtable}

or use a command along the lines of
\newcommand{\myhline}{\noalign{\global\arrayrulewidth1cm}\hline
    	    	    	    \noalign{\global\arrayrulewidth1pt}}

or

\setlength{\doublerulesep}{0pt}
\newcommand{\myhline}{\hline\hline\hline}

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

thicker \hline after firsthead and head in longtable (tabular)
How to get instead \hline\hline just \emph{one THICKER than other \hline} in the following table (actually I use longtable instead tabular): ---- \begin{tabular}{| l || r | r | r | c |} \hline Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\ \hline\hline Jack&12& 28&33&C \\ \hline Paul&49& 35&60&B \\ \hline Michael&76& 38&59&A \\ \hline \end{tabular} ---- When I use the following definition of \myhline --- \newdimen\myarrayrulewidth \setlength{\arrayruleHwidth}{3pt} \makeatletter \def\myhline{% \noalign{\ifnum0=`}\fi\hrul...

correction: thicker \hline after firsthead and head of longtable (tabular)
>How to get instead \hline\hline just \emph{one THICKER than other \hline} >in the following table (actually I use longtable instead tabular): > >---- >\begin{tabular}{| l || r | r | r | c |} > >\hline > >Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\ > >\hline\hline > >Jack&12& 28&33&C \\ >\hline >Paul&49& 35&60&B \\ >\hline >Michael&76& 38&59&A \\ > >\hline > >\end{tabular} >---- > >When I use the following definition of \myhline > >--- > \newdimen\myarrayru...

\hline with longtable
I use the longtable package, and \hline to separate different items. When a \hline occurs at a page break, the line is put at the top of the next page. I would like to automatically supress the \hline when it occurs at a page break. I didn't find any option to do this with longtable. Replacing \hline with another command that would exec \hline only when not at a page break would be fine, but I don't know how to code it. Thanks for your help, AC Arthur Chereau wrote: > I use the longtable package, and \hline to separate different items. > When a \hline occurs at a page break,...

Longtable, colortbl, and hline
Hello, I'm a relative LaTeX newbie, and I'm using longtable to create a multi- page table. I'm using the repeating header feature of longtable to reproduce the header at the top of each page, and using rowcolor from colortbl to color the header row light blue. I also use vertical lines and \hline between each row/column. The problem is when I use rowtable to color the header row, the color bleeds onto the left, right, and top line. By increasing \arraystrethch, I am able to pull the color back from the vertical lines, but it still bleeds especially onto the top \hline, and I have...

colored \hline in longtable
Hi all, I have quite a long table (more than one page) in my .tex document which I made with the longtable package. I can't change that. Now, I would like to have a couple of lighter \hline's in that table. Just a little bit grayed would be fine already. I found the colortbl package from Carlisle, but doesn't seem to be able to help me in the case of longtables. Maybe anyone here knows how to solve my little problem here? greetings, Bart Have a look at "colortbl.sty" package Best of Luck Saravanan,M. India Bart Van Loon <bbbart@kotnet.org> wrote in message...

can one prevent longtable from breaking after \hline in a header
I've got some code in which longtable is misbehaving quite a bit. It's pagebreaking after an hline where it shouldn't be breaking at all, namely the first \hline in a header. I have the following code: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{longtable,needspace} \begin{document} \rule{0pt}{49em} % represents text that precedes this table on the page \subsubsection{Table problems start here} \begin{longtable}[h]{| l l |} \hline stroke & drawing order\\* \hline \endhead% \hline \endfoot row 1 & some data\\ row 2 & some data\\ row 3 & some data\\ \end...

more space between \hline \hline
Hi I'm trying to put more space between \hline \hline in a longtable or tabular environment. Unfortunatly \hline \vspace{5pt} \hline doesn't do the job. Any ideas? best regards - Chris Chris Burkert <chris@chrisburkert.de> schrieb: > Hi > > I'm trying to put more space between \hline \hline in a longtable or > tabular environment. Unfortunatly \hline \vspace{5pt} \hline doesn't do > the job. > > Any ideas? Change the length \doublerulesep. -- Ulrike Fischer e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen. e-mail: add my first ...

hline
Could I make my own command like \myhline that produces a horizontal line in tables similar to \hline but with a scaleable thickness? For example \myhline{0.5cm} would produce a horizontal line with the thickness of 0.5cm. How could this be done....? I do not want to set the \arrayrulewidth to a new value permanently as I still want the \hline command to produce horizontal lines with the same width as it does now. Best Regards Don Don wrote: > Could I make my own command like \myhline that produces a horizontal line in > tables similar to \hline but with a scaleable thickness? For ...

longtable
I need a way to split a table between two consecutive pages. I entered the ``\usepackage{longtable}'' command into my .tex file, but I'm not sure of the syntax for using the longtable package. I tried replacing ``\begin{tabular}'' with ``\begin{longtable}'', and ``\end{tabular}'' with ``\end{longtable}'', but I got the following error message: --------------------------------- ! Missing number, treated as zero. <to be read again> \hfil l.221 \end{longtable} -------------------------------- Can anyone tell me what I n...

Thicker points
Hi all, This is very similar to a thread earlier this morning. I'm plotting a whole bunch of points, as points (psym = 3). Together, all these points make up a straight line, but there are aribtrary gaps in the lines. i.e. y = something x = where(mask eq 1, nx) if nx gt 0 then oplot, x, replicate(y, nx), ps = 3 But my collaborator would like thicker lines...which I can do for everything in my plot *except* the points above. setting !p.symsize = 50, or whatever, doesn't seem to help for plotting with periods. Does anyone know how to make thicker "points"? I guess I c...

Counters in Longtable
Hello, I need help with the counters. I have created a longtable and now i want to add the counters and here is what I would like to achieve. ========================================================================== Column 1 | Column 2 | Column 3 | Column 4 | Column 5 | Column | ========================================================================== 1 | | 1.1 some text | | | 1.2 Some more text | | | 1.3 and so on | -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2 | | 2.1 som...

endfloat and longtable
Dear list, I use the package endfloat to position figures and tables at the end of an article. Unfortunately, endfloat does not seem to work in combination with longtable. Any idea how to solve this? Thanks a lot in advance, Georg In article <xotfx0py07j.fsf@well.ox.ac.uk>, Georg Otto <gwo@well.ox.ac.uk> wrote: > Dear list, > > I use the package endfloat to position figures and tables at the end of > an article. Unfortunately, endfloat does not seem to work in combination > with longtable. Any idea how to solve this? Make a copy of the efxmp...

longtables and linespread
Using a custom document class that sets line spacing using \linespread{1.37}, however, I wish to use the longtable package and I want these tables to have \linespread{1}. So far, regardless of where I put the \linespread{1} command, the tables are still formatted as {1.37} document class can be found at: http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~clyde/dalthesis/dalthesis.html#dalthesisse1.html minimal code shown below: \documentclass[]{dalthesis} \usepackage{longtable} \usepackage{multirow} \begin{document} \notitlepage \nosignaturepage \nopermissionpage \nodedicationpage \nolistoffigures \nobib \fr...

longtable and booktabs again
longtable and booktabs do indeed work together for me, but I find that I have to insert an extra line with \\ after the caption and before a \toprule as in the example below. Without the \\, the latex process just runs and runs. The \\ is a problem because it inserts undesired vertical space between the caption and \toprule. Is there a handy fix? Package version information: \ProvidesPackage{longtable} [2004/02/01 v4.11 Multi-page Table package (DPC)] \ProvidesPackage{booktabs} [2005/03/16 v1.6180 publication quality tables] \begin{longtable}{c c l P{4.5in}} \caption[A mul...

Environment for longtable
Hello all, Since my tables have a lot of columns, I'd like to extend the width of my page temporarily when placing a table. I've placed this code in my preamble: \documentclass[11pt,a4paper]{report} \newenvironment{narrow}[2]{% \begin{list}{}{% \setlength{\topsep}{0pt}% \setlength{\leftmargin}{#1}% \setlength{\rightmargin}{#2}% \setlength{\listparindent}{\parindent}% \setlength{\itemindent}{\parindent}% \setlength{\parsep}{\parskip}}% \item[]}{\end{list}} For regular tables, I'm using this: \begin{table} \begin{narrow}{-1.2cm}{0in} \centering \begin{tabular}{|c|c...

pdfsync and longtable
Using longtable with pdfsync I ran into a problem which is quite annoying. Both with xelatex and latex, as soon as I add pdfsync to my preamble my longtables are messed up. The columns are driven apart and the extend beyond the borders of the page. Is this a known problem and does anybody have a fix for this? TIA, Alex Minimal example: ==================== \documentclass[a4paper]{scrartcl} \usepackage{fontspec, xunicode} \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Adobe Jenson Pro} \usepackage{longtable} \usepackage{pdfsync} %%%%%%%%%%%% \begin{document} \begin{longtable}{p{3,5cm} p{11cm}} first ...

itemize in longtable
The trick (hack) of setting \@minipagetrue before an itemize within a tabular cell in order to suppress vertical space before the itemize works well enough. However, that trick doesn't work with longtable. Is there a way? (And yes, it's never that simple - I'm using a compactitem from paralist instead of the original itemize.) -- Richard Walker Richard.Walker@cs.anu.edu.au Department of Computer Science Phone: (02) 6125 3785 The Australian National University Intl: +61 2 6125 3785 Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia Fax: +61 2 6125 0010 ...

\\hline into CSS?
dear texperts---I am trying to define a subset of beamer which I can easily translate with perl into html (with css) and powerpoint. (I will share this when it's done.) now, I would like to retain the latex tabular \hline feature. I am sure I am not the first to write a translator, so I am wondering whether there is an HTML+CSS command that this can be mapped into. (Going back to the previous row, if it exists, and adding a border- bottom seems complex.) /iaw On 07/14/2011 02:53 PM, iaw4 wrote: > dear texperts---I am trying to define a subset of beamer which I can > easily tran...

problems with longtable
I am trying to work out how to use the longtable in columns with long texts and footnotes included. I am using the Textlive 2005 and don=B4t seem to be able to get it right. The footnotes are right but the table appears only in one looooong line. Could anybody give me a hand to solve the problem? Kongull On Oct 7, 7:19 pm, kongull <teo_manri...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I am trying to work out how to use the longtable in columns with long > texts and footnotes included. I am using the Textlive 2005 and don=B4t > seem to be able to get it right. The footnotes are right but the table...

\rowcolor in longtable
Hello all, I have a long table and I am studying some documents (texdoc for longtable and colortbl), to apply some background colour to a row. Only \cellcolor seems to work, but also with some strangeness, but \rowcolor which I commented out in my example following here, evokes error messages like: ! Misplaced \noalign. \rowcolor ->\noalign {\ifnum 0=`}\fi \global \let \CT@do@color \CT@@do@color... which I am unable to understand. Please could somebody explain to me, how to apply \rowcolor correctly? greetings marek \documentclass[a4paper]{scrartcl} \usepackage...

longtable width
Hi, I'm working on a design where the layout of the caption for longtables depends on the width of the table. Normally the caption is centered (either on a line or in a hanging paragraph), but when the longtable is wider than the textblock, the caption is supposed to start on the left edge of the table. These very wide tables seldom occur, but it looks wrong to have the caption begin at the text block. So I found some work Lars did http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/7a2783ef86bd754d/cd13a8f755ad9097?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=memoir+longtable+threepa...

rotating a longtable?
Hi, the following example compiles, but is too wide for a portrait page. The obvious solution would be bring it into landscape orientation. That, alas, leads to a compiliation error. Any solutions? Thanks in advance Engelbert \documentclass{book} \usepackage{booktabs,siunitx,rotating,longtable,chemarrow} \usepackage[Euler]{upgreek} \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \newcommand{\skalar}[1]{\ensuremath{#1}} % Fonts for math-entities \newcommand{\ph}{\textit{p}H} % correct typesetting of physicochemical entities \newcommand{\pI}{\textit{p}I} \newcommand{\pka}{...

sideways longtable
Hi there, I'm trying to get my longtable to appear sideways in my document. It work very well at first, when I build the document to postscript. Now I'm building my document to pdf and it isn't working anymore. My code looks as follows: \begin{landscape} \begin{longtable}{|l|p{3.5cm}|l|l|l|l|p{4.1cm}|} \hline ... \hline \caption{...} \label{...} \end{longtable} \end{landscape} When build as postscript, this works well, but now the table is shown partly besides the page and the table is in a horizontal position (should be vertical). Can someone tell me ho...

Space before and after a longtable
Hello, I'm trying to have a table split across pages, and the longtable package does it much nicer than when I used the supertabular environment. Unfortunately, there is so much space before and after a longtable, and I have so many longtables that my book requires another signature by about five pages (32 page signatures). This book is reprinted every month, and cutting out a signature would be a great saving, and removing the space before and after would be the solution (the font is already Swis BT 721 Condensed, which is incredibly narrow and ugly in my opinion, but I was only ...