thicker \hline before firsthead of longtable

I tried the following

----
\begin{longtable}{| l || r | r | r | c |}
\myhline
Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\
\myhline
Jack&12& 28&33&C \\
\hline
Paul&49& 35&60&B  \\
\hline
Michael&76& 38&59&A  \\
\myhline
\end{longtable}
----

with the following definition of \myhline :

\newdimen\arrayruleHwidth
 \setlength{\arrayruleHwidth}{1.5pt}
  \makeatletter
\def\myhline{%
  \noalign{\LT@sep}%
  \multispan\LT@cols
     \unskip\leaders\hrule\@height\arrayruleHwidth\hfill\cr
  \noalign{\penalty\@M}%
  \@gtempa}
\makeatother

(from  the longtable.sty  after  modification):

Now \myhline seems to work in longtable except the first \myhline
(before the first head).

When I use \myhline before the first head  I get the following message :
----
Overfull \hbox (0.93033pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 325--325
[]|\T1/cmr/m/n/12 Time
[7]
! Undefined control sequence.
\myhline ->\noalign {\LT@sep
                           }\multispan \LT@cols \unskip \leaders \hrule \@he...
l.373 \myhline

?
---

When I use \hline\myhline before the first head it works:
----
\begin{longtable}{| l || r | r | r | c |}
\hline
\myhline

Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\

\myhline

Jack&12& 28&33&C \\

-----

But how to modify the definition of \myhline to get
it working before the first head of longtable?

TIA

Jan
0
mch2048 (14)

mch2048@yahoo.com (jan)  schrieb:

> But how to modify the definition of \myhline to get
> it working before the first head of longtable?

You can use booktabs, and read the documentation about using to much
vertical lines.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{longtable,booktabs}

\begin{document}
\begin{longtable}{| l || r | r | r | c |}
\toprule
Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\
\midrule
Jack&12& 28&33&C \\
\hline
Paul&49& 35&60&B  \\
\hline
Michael&76& 38&59&A  \\
\bottomrule
\end{longtable}

or use a command along the lines of
\newcommand{\myhline}{\noalign{\global\arrayrulewidth1cm}\hline
    	    	    	    \noalign{\global\arrayrulewidth1pt}}

or

\setlength{\doublerulesep}{0pt}
\newcommand{\myhline}{\hline\hline\hline}

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.

thicker \hline after firsthead and head in longtable (tabular)
How to get instead \hline\hline just \emph{one THICKER than other \hline} in the following table (actually I use longtable instead tabular): ---- \begin{tabular}{| l || r | r | r | c |} \hline Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\ \hline\hline Jack&12& 28&33&C \\ \hline Paul&49& 35&60&B \\ \hline Michael&76& 38&59&A \\ \hline \end{tabular} ---- When I use the following definition of \myhline --- \newdimen\myarrayrulewidth \setlength{\arrayruleHwidth}{3pt} \makeatletter \def\myhline{% \noalign{\ifnum0=`}\fi\hrule \@height \myarrayruleHwidth \futurelet \reserved@a\@xhline} \def\@xhline{\ifx\reserved@a\hline \vskip\doublerulesep \vskip-\myarrayrulewidth \fi \ifnum0=`{\fi}} \makeatother ---- (from latex.ltx) instead \hline\hline it seems to work well with tabular environment but \emph{not with longtable}. In the longtable case the \myhline is \emph{longer than the width of longtable}. Does anyone has any idea how to achieve ``thicker'' \hline in longtable (e.g. how to modify the above definition \myhline to work with longtable properly)? TIA Jan mch2048@yahoo.com (jan) writes: > How to get instead \hline\hline just \emph{one THICKER than other \hline} > in the following table (actually I use longtable instead tabular): \noalign{\hrule height 1.5pt} Change to whatever height suits your fancy. -- Randy Yate...

correction: thicker \hline after firsthead and head of longtable (tabular)
>How to get instead \hline\hline just \emph{one THICKER than other \hline} >in the following table (actually I use longtable instead tabular): > >---- >\begin{tabular}{| l || r | r | r | c |} > >\hline > >Name&Exam1&Exam2&Exam3&Grade\\ > >\hline\hline > >Jack&12& 28&33&C \\ >\hline >Paul&49& 35&60&B \\ >\hline >Michael&76& 38&59&A \\ > >\hline > >\end{tabular} >---- > >When I use the following definition of \myhline > >--- > \newdimen\myarrayrulewidth > \setlength{\arrayruleHwidth}{3pt} > \makeatletter > \def\myhline{% > \noalign{\ifnum0=`}\fi\hrule \@height \myarrayruleHwidth \futurelet > \reserved@a\@xhline} > \def\@xhline{\ifx\reserved@a\hline > \vskip\doublerulesep > \vskip-\myarrayrulewidth > \fi > \ifnum0=`{\fi}} > \makeatother >---- >(from latex.ltx) instead \hline\hline I should look in the longtable.sty not only in latex.ltx. From longtable.sty I got (after modification): \newdimen\arrayruleHwidth \setlength{\arrayruleHwidth}{1.5pt} \makeatletter \def\myhline{% \noalign{\LT@sep}% \multispan\LT@cols \unskip\leaders\hrule\@height\arrayruleHwidth\hfill\cr \noalign{\penalty\@M}% \@gtempa} \makeatother Now \myhline seems to work in longtable. May be someone have better solution? Jan >it seems to w...

text + text

\hline with longtable
I use the longtable package, and \hline to separate different items. When a \hline occurs at a page break, the line is put at the top of the next page. I would like to automatically supress the \hline when it occurs at a page break. I didn't find any option to do this with longtable. Replacing \hline with another command that would exec \hline only when not at a page break would be fine, but I don't know how to code it. Thanks for your help, AC Arthur Chereau wrote: > I use the longtable package, and \hline to separate different items. > When a \hline occurs at a page break, the line is put at the top of the > next page. I would like to automatically supress the \hline when it > occurs at a page break. I didn't find any option to do this with > longtable. > > Replacing \hline with another command that would exec \hline only when > not at a page break would be fine, but I don't know how to code it. > > Thanks for your help, > > AC > I think the longtable manual says you need to fix this by hand :( Sorry... ...

text-text

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

Longtable, colortbl, and hline
Hello, I'm a relative LaTeX newbie, and I'm using longtable to create a multi- page table. I'm using the repeating header feature of longtable to reproduce the header at the top of each page, and using rowcolor from colortbl to color the header row light blue. I also use vertical lines and \hline between each row/column. The problem is when I use rowtable to color the header row, the color bleeds onto the left, right, and top line. By increasing \arraystrethch, I am able to pull the color back from the vertical lines, but it still bleeds especially onto the top \hline, and I haven't found a way to fix this. This makes it look like the top hline of the table is thinner than the rest and looks ugly. I've tried all kinds of different things. I've tried to use \hhline, I've tried to use \minrowclearance, trying to increase the width of just the top \hline etc.. but either I'm doing it wrong or its not working. Does anyone have any suggestions or things I should look at to avoid having the coloring from the rowcolor command bleed onto the top hline on a long table, or to make just the top hline thicker? Again the solution has to work in longtable, and particularly work for a repeating header row. Thank you very much. -- Ron On Jul 28, 1:31 pm, ron.winog...@gmail.com wrote: > Hello, > > I'm a relative LaTeX newbie, and I'm using longtable to create a multi- > page table. I'm using the repeating header feature of longta...

colored \hline in longtable
Hi all, I have quite a long table (more than one page) in my .tex document which I made with the longtable package. I can't change that. Now, I would like to have a couple of lighter \hline's in that table. Just a little bit grayed would be fine already. I found the colortbl package from Carlisle, but doesn't seem to be able to help me in the case of longtables. Maybe anyone here knows how to solve my little problem here? greetings, Bart Have a look at "colortbl.sty" package Best of Luck Saravanan,M. India Bart Van Loon <bbbart@kotnet.org> wrote in message news:<1083635403.855756@seven.kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be>... > Hi all, > > I have quite a long table (more than one page) in my .tex document which > I made with the longtable package. I can't change that. Now, I would > like to have a couple of lighter \hline's in that table. Just a little > bit grayed would be fine already. I found the colortbl package from > Carlisle, but doesn't seem to be able to help me in the case of > longtables. Maybe anyone here knows how to solve my little problem here? > > greetings, > Bart ...

Type-written text to TeX?
Slightly OT, but I have several hundred pages of typewritten material already scanned in. (I just have a PDF file with one image per page.) There is a small amount of maths in it, but not much. Can anyone advise me of a good OCR program to use? I'd prefer a Linux program, but am not religious. I tried gocr, which was useless, and am presently trying clara, which looks as though it might work, although it seems to require several degrees in Computer Science to understand and use. Also, is there a program to abstract the images from the PDF file? I've written a little Java program to do this, but would prefer to use a kosher application. -- Timothy Murphy e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366 s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland Timothy Murphy wrote: > Slightly OT, but I have several hundred pages of typewritten material > already scanned in. (I just have a PDF file with one image per page.) > There is a small amount of maths in it, but not much. > > Can anyone advise me of a good OCR program to use? > I'd prefer a Linux program, but am not religious. > > I tried gocr, which was useless, > and am presently trying clara, which looks as though it might work, > although it seems to require several degrees in Computer Science > to understand and use. I have once (April 2001) reviewed several OCR solutions for UNIX, see http://tinyurl.com/54xdu ...

text 2 text

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

Why does $TEXT() not return text?
I am looking at a file I have created named TMGUSRI2.m This is with GT.M 6.2-002A Here is a stat of the .m file and the .o file kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EHR/p$ stat TMGUSRI2.m File: `TMGUSRI2.m' Size: 19171 Blocks: 40 IO Block: 4096 regular file Device: 821h/2081d Inode: 705008 Links: 1 Access: (0744/-rwxr--r--) Uid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Gid: ( 1000/ kdt0p) Access: 2015-08-10 20:50:51.000000000 -0400 Modify: 2015-06-23 20:23:12.000000000 -0400 Change: 2015-06-23 20:23:11.000000000 -0400 Birth: - kdt0p@poweredge:/opt/worldvista/EH...

Converting pain text to TeX
Hi, I am trying to convert a plain text file to TeX format. For this I wrote a awk script to convert double quotes to the correct type in TeX, as in #!/usr/bin/awk -f # DQ2TQ : Converts double qoutes in plaint text file to TeX format # USAGE # dq2tq filename > newfilename BEGIN { count = 0 } /"/ { for (i=1; i<=NF; i++) {if (count % 2 == 0) {sub(/"/,"``",$i);count++} else {sub(/"/,"''",$i);count++}} } { print } However this does not seem to work right. Given the following input : " " " " &...

Encryption from text to text...
I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into another form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out there? Thanks. In article <418f03f8@news.starhub.net.sg>, Kelvin <thefatcat28@hotmail.com> wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. You can look on CPAN (<http://search.cpan.org>) for various Crypt:: modules. FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future. On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 13:35:46 +0800, Kelvin wrote: > I am looking for an encryption algorithm that converts plain texts into > another > form, one character to another...What are the nice and simple algorithms out > there? > > Thanks. I'm not sure how secure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decode, (there's 26 letters). Not secure, but nice easy and simple.mine not sure how sercure you need it to be, you could use the rot13 method. Used in newsgroups... It changes every letter to the letter 13 places ahead of it. The nice thing about it though is that you use the same method of to decoed, (theres 26 letters). Not sercure, but nice easy and simple. -- Andre...

Pages

more space between \hline \hline
Hi I'm trying to put more space between \hline \hline in a longtable or tabular environment. Unfortunatly \hline \vspace{5pt} \hline doesn't do the job. Any ideas? best regards - Chris Chris Burkert <chris@chrisburkert.de> schrieb: > Hi > > I'm trying to put more space between \hline \hline in a longtable or > tabular environment. Unfortunatly \hline \vspace{5pt} \hline doesn't do > the job. > > Any ideas? Change the length \doublerulesep. -- Ulrike Fischer e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen. e-mail: add my first name between the news and the @. Ulrike Fischer wrote: > Change the length \doublerulesep. Ah ... but this only works for tabular and doesn't affect longtable. Chris Chris Burkert wrote: > Ulrike Fischer wrote: > >> Change the length \doublerulesep. > > > Ah ... but this only works for tabular and doesn't affect longtable. > > Chris here is works just fine, please post a minimal example. \documentclass{article} \usepackage{longtable} \begin{document} \addtolength\doublerulesep{4pt} \begin{longtable}{cc} s &g\\ \hline\hline \end{longtable} \end{document} Remember that regarding longtables you might have to compile a few times before the changes kicks in. -- /daleif (remove RTFSIGNATURE from email address) LaTeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq AMSMATH Intro: http://www.ams.org/tex/amslatex.html LaTeX Intro: http://p...

TeX-Interpreter for static text(GUI)!
Hello everybody! I've got the problem that when I type LaTeX-orders like V_{DS} or $V_{DS} $ a.s.o. as strings in static text, this orders are not converted. How can I manage, that my LaTeX-orders are interpreted! Thank you very much! Thomas ...

change text color with TeX support?
All Consider the string involving greek letters to appear in a plot title made with the command: SetaEL='\fontsize{14}{\eta}\fontsize{10}EL\fontsize{10}=' when used in a title argument, the string SetaEL plots like: etaEL= except that eta will be the actual greek letter of course. This works! BUT THE COLOR ID DEFAULT IS BLACK. THE QUESTION: How to change my SetaEL command useing TeX syntax, so it is say red? Thanks in advance....tony Could you be a little more specific? If you want the whole title to be in red (or any other color), I don't think you need to...

HELP: Need text output for a .tex document
I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> Postscript). It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things like center and the list environment. Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to do anything like this. Please, someone, how do I do this. -- Reg.Clemens reg@dwf.com Reg Clemens wrote: > I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to > get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> Postscript). > > It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things like > center and the list environment. > > Im sure that this is possible, its just been SO long since I had to > do anything like this. > > Please, someone, how do I do this. > convert to ps/pdf and extract the text using gsview/acrobat. note, you'll probably need to do some manual corrections. On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Reg Clemens wrote: > I have a simple document here (actually a Resume) for which I need to > get a TEXT equivalent of the output (rather than the normal dvi -> > Postscript). > > It is of type article and doesnt do anything exciting, just uses things > like center and the list environment. > > Im sure that this is possible, its just b...

free TeX-aware text editor for Windows
Syn http://syn.sourceforge.net/ Hadn't seen this noted here previously and it's not listed at http://home.nexgo.de/itsfd/texwin.htm (just sent them a note on that). Doesn't support handwriting recognition on my pen slate (still using WinTeXShell for that), but otherwise very serviceable. William -- William Adams http://members.aol.com/willadams Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow. willadams@aol.com (William F. Adams) wrote in message news:<20040214144824.18962.00002250@mb-m28.aol.com>... > Syn > > http://syn.sourceforge.net/ > > Hadn't seen this noted here previously and it's not listed at > http://home.nexgo.de/itsfd/texwin.htm (just sent them a note on that). Doesn't > support handwriting recognition on my pen slate (still using WinTeXShell for > that), but otherwise very serviceable. > > William I am finding TeXnicCenter very serviceable for Latex. http://www.toolscenter.org/products/texniccenter/ It supports project management and scans your MikTex installation for Yap, GV, pdftricks etc. It compiles pdfs created with pstricks very elegantly. Laurie ...

Convert TeX to normal text (stripping macros)
Hi all, Does anyone know a good way to strip a TeX file from its macros in order to run grammar checking from LangauageTool on it? Please also see this bug report for Language Tool: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2880449&group_id=110216&atid=655717 A Java implementation would be preferred since Language Tool is in Java so it runs platform independently. Thanks, Pander On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 03:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Pander wrote: > Does anyone know a good way to strip a TeX file from its macros I suggest you use one of the tools that convert from dvi/postscript/pdf to text: dvi2tty pstotext pdftotext That is, analyze the output, not the input to (La)TeX. Bob T. ...

using TeX characters in a GUI text box
I am trying to use a TeX character such as the Greek letter mu in a GUI textbox, but I cannot get this to work. If I try to set the 'string' property for the GUI object using '\mu' this just displays '\mu'. Is there a way I can use the 'text' command as you would for a figure to put Greek letters into GUI objects? "Sean Larkin" <slarkin71278@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <gk37he$t7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Is there a way I can put Greek letters into GUI objects? I don't know for sure, but you might be able to do this using ...

Reading Text File, Text Scrolling and erase line from a text file
Hi , How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text file , when press "F2" key? Best Regards, Lidia from Poland -- ========================================= Pozdrawiam Lidiaa Lidiaa schrieb: > Hi , > > How can I Reading Text File, then Text Scrolling by means of > keys "page UP" "page Down" and erase a specific line from a text > file , when press "F2" key? > > ...

Web resources about - thicker \hline before firsthead of longtable - comp.text.tex

Matsya Purana complete
Thre are eighteen major Puranas or mahapuranas, the wordmaha, meaning great. There are also several other minor Puranas orupapuranas, the word ...

David Cameron's battle to connect
How the Conservatives learned from Obama, Google and Facebook to digitise their election strategy