Times new roman vs. URW Nimbus Roman 9L?

  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Dear all,

my publisher wants a manuscript typeset in Times New Roman throughout.
I chose the mathptmx package under the assumption (as per various
documents I read) that it would indeed select Times New Roman as
default roman font. Instead, I found out (rather, the publisher did)
that the font selected is a Times clone, Nimbus Roman 9L from URW
(whereas Times New Roman is from Monotype, I believe).  I was unable
to find out why the package uses the Times clone. Can anyone point me
to a source of information and to  possible alternative packages, if
any at all, that would use Times New Roman? Is it a licensing issue? I
was under the assumption the Times New Roman is freely available.

Best,

Stefano
0
Reply stefano.franchi (47) 5/10/2010 5:10:01 PM

See related articles to this posting


In article 
<41f4b016-af13-48b6-a2ae-6ea67552d17a@q30g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
 stefano <stefano.franchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> 
> my publisher wants a manuscript typeset in Times New Roman throughout.
> I chose the mathptmx package under the assumption (as per various
> documents I read) that it would indeed select Times New Roman as
> default roman font. Instead, I found out (rather, the publisher did)
> that the font selected is a Times clone, Nimbus Roman 9L from URW
> (whereas Times New Roman is from Monotype, I believe).  I was unable
> to find out why the package uses the Times clone. Can anyone point me
> to a source of information and to  possible alternative packages, if
> any at all, that would use Times New Roman? Is it a licensing issue? I
> was under the assumption the Times New Roman is freely available.
> 
> Best,
> 
> Stefano

AFAIK, Times New Roman is a commercial font.  It's only "freely 
available" in that it's distributed with some commonly used OS's and 
applications.

Perhaps the simplest solution would be to use XeLaTeX on your document.  
Depending on the amount of math content, however, this might be more or 
less difficult.

You will need to do three things to your source document to convert it 
to XeLaTeX:

1) save the source as UTF-8
2) remove any fontenc/inputenc/mathptmx
3) add the following to your preamble:

\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Times New Roman}

This will use the real Times New Roman font.

(This assumes you actually have Times New Roman installed as a regular 
font in your system (i.e. you can use it in a Word document, e.g.)

Alan
0
Reply Alan 5/10/2010 5:28:47 PM

On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:10:01 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:

 > my publisher wants a manuscript typeset in Times New Roman throughout.
 > I chose the mathptmx package under the assumption (as per various
 > documents I read) that it would indeed select Times New Roman as
 > default roman font. Instead, I found out (rather, the publisher did)
 > that the font selected is a Times clone, Nimbus Roman 9L from URW
 > (whereas Times New Roman is from Monotype, I believe).  I was unable
 > to find out why the package uses the Times clone. Can anyone point me
 > to a source of information and to  possible alternative packages, if
 > any at all, that would use Times New Roman? Is it a licensing issue? I
 > was under the assumption the Times New Roman is freely available.

Times is not the same as Times New Roman.  The Times clone from URW 
is pretty well indistinguishable from Times.  But if your publisher
*really* wants Times New Roman, you can find support files here:

http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/w-a-schmidt/

Note that the package

  does not include the actual Type1 fonts, which are to be purchased
  from Agfa-Monotype. In order to support separate design sizes and real
  small capitals, the following Type1 fonts are required:

    TimesNRMT
    TimesNRExpertMT
    TimesNRMT-Italic
    TimesNRMT-Bold
    TimesNRMT-BoldItalic
    TimesNRSevenMT
    TimesNRSevenMT-Italic
    TimesNRSevenMT-Bold
    TimesNRSevenMT-BoldItalic
    TimesSmallTextMT
    TimesSmallTextMT-Italic
    TimesSmallTextMT-Bold

Bob T.
0
Reply Bob 5/10/2010 8:09:43 PM

On May 10, 3:09=A0pm, Bob Tennent <B...@cs.queensu.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:10:01 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:
>
> =A0> my publisher wants a manuscript typeset in Times New Roman throughou=
t.
> =A0> I chose the mathptmx package under the assumption (as per various
> =A0> documents I read) that it would indeed select Times New Roman as
> =A0> default roman font. Instead, I found out (rather, the publisher did)
> =A0> that the font selected is a Times clone, Nimbus Roman 9L from URW
> =A0> (whereas Times New Roman is from Monotype, I believe). =A0I was unab=
le
> =A0> to find out why the package uses the Times clone. Can anyone point m=
e
> =A0> to a source of information and to =A0possible alternative packages, =
if
> =A0> any at all, that would use Times New Roman? Is it a licensing issue?=
 I
> =A0> was under the assumption the Times New Roman is freely available.
>
> Times is not the same as Times New Roman. =A0The Times clone from URW
> is pretty well indistinguishable from Times. =A0But if your publisher
> *really* wants Times New Roman, you can find support files here:
>
> http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/w-a-schmidt/
>
> Note that the package
>
> =A0 does not include the actual Type1 fonts, which are to be purchased
> =A0 from Agfa-Monotype. In order to support separate design sizes and rea=
l
> =A0 small capitals, the following Type1 fonts are required:
>
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRMT
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRExpertMT
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRMT-Italic
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRMT-Bold
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRMT-BoldItalic
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRSevenMT
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRSevenMT-Italic
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRSevenMT-Bold
> =A0 =A0 TimesNRSevenMT-BoldItalic
> =A0 =A0 TimesSmallTextMT
> =A0 =A0 TimesSmallTextMT-Italic
> =A0 =A0 TimesSmallTextMT-Bold
>
> Bob T.

Bob and Alan, thanks for the suggestions. It turns out the publisher
will accept Nimbus, so I am off the hook. But here is what I really do
not understand:
I have produced some of the book's frontmatter (Title page, half-title
page, etc) with Scribus and included Scribus's pdf output into the
latex file with pdfpages.
When I examine the properties of pdfLatex's  output I see that the
font panel lists Times New Roman (True Type) among the fonts used. It
obviously comea from Scribus, since, as I now understand, Latex
"Times" is actually Nimbus.

Now, why does Scribus use Times New Roman for Times while Latex
doesn't?

Is that because (more or less "freely available") True type fonts
cannot be used directly by Latex, while  Latex would need the Type 1
version of Times  New Roman, which  (as Bob pointed out)  is
commercial only?

Sorry for belaboring the point. I am really trying to understand how
fonts work with Latex and find the whole issue  rather confusing.

Stefano

0
Reply stefano 5/11/2010 5:16:55 PM

On May 11, 1:16=A0pm, stefano <stefano.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 10, 3:09=A0pm, Bob Tennent <B...@cs.queensu.ca> wrote:
>
>
>
> > On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:10:01 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:
>
> > =A0> my publisher wants a manuscript typeset in Times New Roman through=
out.
> > =A0> I chose the mathptmx package under the assumption (as per various
> > =A0> documents I read) that it would indeed select Times New Roman as
> > =A0> default roman font. Instead, I found out (rather, the publisher di=
d)
> > =A0> that the font selected is a Times clone, Nimbus Roman 9L from URW
> > =A0> (whereas Times New Roman is from Monotype, I believe). =A0I was un=
able
> > =A0> to find out why the package uses the Times clone. Can anyone point=
 me
> > =A0> to a source of information and to =A0possible alternative packages=
, if
> > =A0> any at all, that would use Times New Roman? Is it a licensing issu=
e? I
> > =A0> was under the assumption the Times New Roman is freely available.
>
> > Times is not the same as Times New Roman. =A0The Times clone from URW
> > is pretty well indistinguishable from Times. =A0But if your publisher
> > *really* wants Times New Roman, you can find support files here:
>
> >http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/w-a-schmidt/
>
> > Note that the package
>
> > =A0 does not include the actual Type1 fonts, which are to be purchased
> > =A0 from Agfa-Monotype. In order to support separate design sizes and r=
eal
> > =A0 small capitals, the following Type1 fonts are required:
>
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRMT
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRExpertMT
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRMT-Italic
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRMT-Bold
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRMT-BoldItalic
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRSevenMT
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRSevenMT-Italic
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRSevenMT-Bold
> > =A0 =A0 TimesNRSevenMT-BoldItalic
> > =A0 =A0 TimesSmallTextMT
> > =A0 =A0 TimesSmallTextMT-Italic
> > =A0 =A0 TimesSmallTextMT-Bold
>
> > Bob T.
>
> Bob and Alan, thanks for the suggestions. It turns out the publisher
> will accept Nimbus, so I am off the hook. But here is what I really do
> not understand:
> I have produced some of the book's frontmatter (Title page, half-title
> page, etc) with Scribus and included Scribus's pdf output into the
> latex file with pdfpages.
> When I examine the properties of pdfLatex's =A0output I see that the
> font panel lists Times New Roman (True Type) among the fonts used. It
> obviously comea from Scribus, since, as I now understand, Latex
> "Times" is actually Nimbus.
>
> Now, why does Scribus use Times New Roman for Times while Latex
> doesn't?
>
> Is that because (more or less "freely available") True type fonts
> cannot be used directly by Latex, while =A0Latex would need the Type 1
> version of Times =A0New Roman, which =A0(as Bob pointed out) =A0is
> commercial only?
>
> Sorry for belaboring the point. I am really trying to understand how
> fonts work with Latex and find the whole issue =A0rather confusing.
>
> Stefano

XeLaTeX can use TrueType fonts but I have noticed that the output is
almost always poor quality unless there is OpenType niformation
embedded in the font. For example, ligatures (like fi, fl etc) are
never there and kerning is also terrible. I have been satisfied only
with otf fonts with XeLaTeX.

If you have Time New Roman as True Type fonts, you can use XeLaTeX.
Since it is the publisher you are trying to satisfy, it should work.

Good lick.

Tariq

0
Reply Tariq 5/11/2010 6:46:10 PM

In article 
<c9169957-31c3-42ee-89bf-b66bf46a1581@t17g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>,
 stefano <stefano.franchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 10, 3:09�pm, Bob Tennent <B...@cs.queensu.ca> wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:10:01 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:
> >
> > �> my publisher wants a manuscript typeset in Times New Roman throughout.
> > �> I chose the mathptmx package under the assumption (as per various
> > �> documents I read) that it would indeed select Times New Roman as
> > �> default roman font. Instead, I found out (rather, the publisher did)
> > �> that the font selected is a Times clone, Nimbus Roman 9L from URW
> > �> (whereas Times New Roman is from Monotype, I believe). �I was unable
> > �> to find out why the package uses the Times clone. Can anyone point me
> > �> to a source of information and to �possible alternative packages, if
> > �> any at all, that would use Times New Roman? Is it a licensing issue? I
> > �> was under the assumption the Times New Roman is freely available.
> >
> > Times is not the same as Times New Roman. �The Times clone from URW
> > is pretty well indistinguishable from Times. �But if your publisher
> > *really* wants Times New Roman, you can find support files here:
> >
> > http://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/psfonts/w-a-schmidt/
> >
> > Note that the package
> >
> > � does not include the actual Type1 fonts, which are to be purchased
> > � from Agfa-Monotype. In order to support separate design sizes and real
> > � small capitals, the following Type1 fonts are required:
> >
> > � � TimesNRMT
> > � � TimesNRExpertMT
> > � � TimesNRMT-Italic
> > � � TimesNRMT-Bold
> > � � TimesNRMT-BoldItalic
> > � � TimesNRSevenMT
> > � � TimesNRSevenMT-Italic
> > � � TimesNRSevenMT-Bold
> > � � TimesNRSevenMT-BoldItalic
> > � � TimesSmallTextMT
> > � � TimesSmallTextMT-Italic
> > � � TimesSmallTextMT-Bold
> >
> > Bob T.
> 
> Bob and Alan, thanks for the suggestions. It turns out the publisher
> will accept Nimbus, so I am off the hook. But here is what I really do
> not understand:
> I have produced some of the book's frontmatter (Title page, half-title
> page, etc) with Scribus and included Scribus's pdf output into the
> latex file with pdfpages.
> When I examine the properties of pdfLatex's  output I see that the
> font panel lists Times New Roman (True Type) among the fonts used. It
> obviously comea from Scribus, since, as I now understand, Latex
> "Times" is actually Nimbus.
> 
> Now, why does Scribus use Times New Roman for Times while Latex
> doesn't?

Because Scribus is a regular application which uses whatever fonts your 
system has installed.

pdflatex doesn't have a way of using system fonts directly (but XeLaTeX 
does as per my message); what that means is that to use these fonts with 
pdflatex you need the relevant support files (as per Bob's message.)
> 
> Is that because (more or less "freely available") True type fonts
> cannot be used directly by Latex, while  Latex would need the Type 1
> version of Times  New Roman, which  (as Bob pointed out)  is
> commercial only?

It's more about having the support files; there are tools to create the 
relevant resources from any Open Type Font, but they're not for the 
faint of heart.  (See e.g. 
<http://www.lcdf.org/~eddietwo/type/otftotfm.1.html> )
> 
> Sorry for belaboring the point. I am really trying to understand how
> fonts work with Latex and find the whole issue  rather confusing.

Unfortunately it is somewhat bewildering, especially since we are so 
used to fonts just working in all other applications.  This is one of 
the big advantages of XeLaTeX.

Alan

> 
> Stefano
0
Reply Alan 5/11/2010 7:10:32 PM

On 2010-05-11, stefano wrote:
> On May 10, 3:09 pm, Bob Tennent <B...@cs.queensu.ca> wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:10:01 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:


> Bob and Alan, thanks for the suggestions. It turns out the publisher
> will accept Nimbus, so I am off the hook. But here is what I really do
> not understand:
> I have produced some of the book's frontmatter (Title page, half-title
> page, etc) with Scribus and included Scribus's pdf output into the
> latex file with pdfpages.
> When I examine the properties of pdfLatex's  output I see that the
> font panel lists Times New Roman (True Type) among the fonts used. It
> obviously comea from Scribus, since, as I now understand, Latex
> "Times" is actually Nimbus.

> Now, why does Scribus use Times New Roman for Times while Latex
> doesn't?

This is already answered in the other repies...

You can, however explicitely select Nimbus Roman in Scribus to get
consistent font usage.

Günter

0
Reply Guenter 5/12/2010 7:23:29 AM

On May 12, 2:23=A0am, Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de> wrote:
> On 2010-05-11, stefano wrote:
> > On May 10, 3:09=A0pm, Bob Tennent <B...@cs.queensu.ca> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 10 May 2010 10:10:01 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:
> > Bob and Alan, thanks for the suggestions. It turns out the publisher
> > will accept Nimbus, so I am off the hook. But here is what I really do
> > not understand:
> > I have produced some of the book's frontmatter (Title page, half-title
> > page, etc) with Scribus and included Scribus's pdf output into the
> > latex file with pdfpages.
> > When I examine the properties of pdfLatex's =A0output I see that the
> > font panel lists Times New Roman (True Type) among the fonts used. It
> > obviously comea from Scribus, since, as I now understand, Latex
> > "Times" is actually Nimbus.
> > Now, why does Scribus use Times New Roman for Times while Latex
> > doesn't?
>
> This is already answered in the other repies...
>

Well, kind of. My question was about what prompted (or forced) the
developers of mathptmx to choose Nimbus as a replacement for Times. I
guess the answer I got is  that they could get the Type 1 Nimbus font
and could not get the Times New Roman equivalent. However, it turns
out, that there are ways to make True Type fonts available to Latex.
So I can only speculate that the answer is one of the following:

- Licensing issues
  I actually read the licensing info of the Times New Roman font that
came with my Linux installation, and it does seem rather restrictive

- Technology issues.
   Perhaps the sw that makes tt fonts available to Latex was not
widely available when mathptmx was developed

- Quality issues.
  Perhaps the Nimbus fonts (and the Termes one based on it) are better
(more extensive coverage, better kerning, more features, whatever)
than the Times New Roman ttf fonts that are to be found on everyone's
computer.

I have no idea which one is the correct answer. I did try converting
the Times New Roman font that I have with the autoinst script from the
fontools package (Thanks for the link, Alan ). The process was
actually rather painless, and it took me only 20 minutes to have the
book retypeset  Times New Roman text. However, the font is decidedly
different from Nimbus. It is tighter kerned, and overall darker.   It
may be a matter of taste, but the overall quality seems worse than
with Nimbus. So perhaps the quality answer is the correct one among
the three above (unless, as Bob pointed out, you acquire the full
range of Times New Roman Type 1 font from Monotype)

> You can, however explicitely select Nimbus Roman in Scribus to get
> consistent font usage.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I will do.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I think I know more about Times than
I ever wanted to. And I don't even like it.

Cheers,

Stefano
0
Reply stefano 5/12/2010 1:58:48 PM

On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:58:48 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:

 > Well, kind of. My question was about what prompted (or forced) the
 > developers of mathptmx to choose Nimbus as a replacement for Times. I
 > guess the answer I got is  that they could get the Type 1 Nimbus font
 > and could not get the Times New Roman equivalent. However, it turns
 > out, that there are ways to make True Type fonts available to Latex.
 > So I can only speculate that the answer is one of the following:
 >
 > - Licensing issues
 >   I actually read the licensing info of the Times New Roman font that
 > came with my Linux installation, and it does seem rather restrictive

I very much doubt that Times New Roman fonts came with your Linux
installation. It's possible to get those fonts for Linux because those
are some of the "web fonts" that at one time Microsoft made available.
But re-distribution in any other form was not allowed. So perhaps your
Linux installation came with a script to get the fonts and install them.

mathptmx uses Times because the URW clones are GPLed and freely
distributable.

 > Thanks to everyone for the help. I think I know more about Times than
 > I ever wanted to. And I don't even like it.

I agree. It was designed to be as tight as possible (for use in narrow
newspaper columns). It's a complete mystery to me why it's so widely
used.

Bob T.
0
Reply Bob 5/12/2010 9:12:07 PM

Bob Tennent <BobT@cs.queensu.ca> writes:

> It's a complete mystery to me why it's so widely used.

It has been the standard font in MS Word for years, and most users stick
to the defaults.  I wouldn't be surprised if the most widely used font
will be Calibri in a few years.

-- 
Change “LookInSig” to “tcalveu” to answer by mail.
0
Reply Philipp 5/12/2010 11:08:23 PM

On May 12, 4:12=A0pm, Bob Tennent <B...@cs.queensu.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:58:48 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:
>
> =A0> Well, kind of. My question was about what prompted (or forced) the
> =A0> developers of mathptmx to choose Nimbus as a replacement for Times. =
I
> =A0> guess the answer I got is =A0that they could get the Type 1 Nimbus f=
ont
> =A0> and could not get the Times New Roman equivalent. However, it turns
> =A0> out, that there are ways to make True Type fonts available to Latex.
> =A0> So I can only speculate that the answer is one of the following:
> =A0>
> =A0> - Licensing issues
> =A0> =A0 I actually read the licensing info of the Times New Roman font t=
hat
> =A0> came with my Linux installation, and it does seem rather restrictive
>
> I very much doubt that Times New Roman fonts came with your Linux
> installation. It's possible to get those fonts for Linux because those
> are some of the "web fonts" that at one time Microsoft made available.
> But re-distribution in any other form was not allowed. So perhaps your
> Linux installation came with a script to get the fonts and install them.

That's what I thought. But on my Ubuntu system, the fonts are provided
by a package called ttf-msttcorefonts, which is listed as a
recommended install
by OpenOffice. So perhaps OpenOffice, which is part of the basic
Ubuntu distribution, I believe, installed the fonts. Or some other
package may have it as a dependency.

>
> mathptmx uses Times because the URW clones are GPLed and freely
> distributable.
>
That makes perfect sense. What threw me off from the start is that the
Latex Companion says explicitly that the ptm font provided by
mathptmx  is Adobe's repackaging of Linotype's redesign of Monotype's
Times New Roman. And the font's name itself (i.e. ptm) suggests it is
an Adobe font. The docs for PSNFSS are more ambiguous, I now realize,
even though they refer constantly to 'Times' and to Adobe.
I would not have been so puzzled if the docs had said:

       "The Times and Mathptmx packages provide the Nimbus etc. font,
a freely-available GPL'ed  clone of Times New Roman provided by URW.
Monotype's Times New Roman (the original source of the version of
Times provided by Microsoft and Adobe) is a commercial typeface. It
can be acquired at: ......  A Latex package including all the
supporting files (but not the font files themselves) is provided by
Walter Schmidt and is available at...."  "

This is my current understanding of the situation, at least.

S.
0
Reply stefano 5/13/2010 1:58:22 PM

On Thu, 13 May 2010 06:58:22 -0700 (PDT), stefano wrote:

 >> I very much doubt that Times New Roman fonts came with your Linux
 >> installation. It's possible to get those fonts for Linux because those
 >> are some of the "web fonts" that at one time Microsoft made available.
 >> But re-distribution in any other form was not allowed. So perhaps your
 >> Linux installation came with a script to get the fonts and install them.
 >
 > That's what I thought. But on my Ubuntu system, the fonts are provided
 > by a package called ttf-msttcorefonts

That package provides an *installer* for the "core" fonts. See what
happens when the download site that actually provides the fonts (in
accordance with the original license) is off-line:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76655

Bob T.
0
Reply Bob 5/13/2010 5:22:53 PM
comp.text.tex 36443 articles. 68 followers. Post

11 Replies
1545 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 30


  • Permalink
  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow


Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Which To Use
Is Times the standard serif font? I'm deciding which font to use for a book I'm writing. My printer, HP 4ML PostScript, has the resident PostScript font Times Roman (strangely, the bold, italic and bold italic are Times). I recall that PageMaker 5 pushed for using Times. I now have PageMaker 7, and in its font list (the same list that appears in any application) is Times and Times New Roman. Would appreciate your explanation as to how resident printer fonts relate to whatever font I select from the font list (these are usually True Type, although there are other kinds). Also, a recomme...

Times New Roman Extra Bold (Monotype) and Times (Linotype)
Does anyone have the (1) Times New Roman Extra Bold by Monotype and the (2) Times (NOT Times New Roman) by Linotype? Thanks Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.usenet.com I have the first one but here is the links for both. > Times New Roman Extra Bold by Monotype and the (2) http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=3D205382&grab_id=3D0&page_= id=...

ODS RTF "Times New Roman" switches to "Times" ????
Hi, Using SAS 9.1.3 on a SOLARIS (UNIX) system, I've been creating RTF output using... font=('times new roman',10 pt,bold roman) within proc template, but the RTF file that is created has... {\f1\froman\fprq2\fcharset0 Times;} and in fact shows up as "Times" when I open the document (in either Star Office on the SOLARIS or WORD after ftp-ing to a PC). Is there a way to force the creation of "Times New Roman" rather than "Times". Could it be that on my SOLARIS system the "Times New Roman" font is not defined right. I say this because...

times new roman font
In the Acrobat Reader version 5 distributed for linux, there were type 1 versions of the Times New Roman and Arial fonts. Is it legal to use them in our (public) documents? If not, is there a way to get some kind of licence? If the answer to this second question is also negative, I presume the only alternative would be to buy the fonts, isn't it? Thanks, G.T. On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:51:52 -0400 (EDT), Anonyma wrote: > In the Acrobat Reader version 5 distributed for linux, there > were type 1 versions of the Times New Roman and Arial fonts. > Is it legal to use them in our (...

Re: ODS RTF "Times New Roman" switches to "Times" ????
markisgold@GMAIL.COM wrote: > >Hi, > >Using SAS 9.1.3 on a SOLARIS (UNIX) system, I've been creating RTF >output using... > font=('times new roman',10 pt,bold roman) >within proc template, but the RTF file that is created has... > {\f1\froman\fprq2\fcharset0 Times;} >and in fact shows up as "Times" when I open the document (in either >Star Office on the SOLARIS or WORD after ftp-ing to a PC). > >Is there a way to force the creation of "Times New Roman" rather than >"Times". > >Could it be that on my S...

NimbusRomNo9l vs. Times-Roman
Hello all! A user of mine currently has problems reading a PDF file created with PDFLaTeX (1.20b-2.2 with MiKTeX 2.4). It complains about the fonts. This forced me to investigate and find out that the fonts in the PDF have now become NimbusRomNo9l as opposed to the Times-Roman as it used to be. NimbusRomNo9l seems to be the faulty fonts... The document class I use loads the "times" package. This is required and is out of my hands... I understant that NimbusRomNo9l seems to be a modern replacement for Times, and it actually looks better. But if it creates problems, I want to get r...

Re: ODS RTF "Times New Roman" switches to "Times" ???? #2
markisgold@GMAIL.COM wrote back: > >David L Cassell wrote: > > markisgold@GMAIL.COM wrote: > > > > > >Hi, > > > > > >Using SAS 9.1.3 on a SOLARIS (UNIX) system, I've been creating RTF > > >output using... > > > font=('times new roman',10 pt,bold roman) > > >within proc template, but the RTF file that is created has... > > > {\f1\froman\fprq2\fcharset0 Times;} > > >and in fact shows up as "Times" when I open the document (in either > > >Star Office on the SOLARIS or...

fontspec: no ligatures with Times New Roman
Hi, compiling the attached document with either lualatex or xelatex there are no ligatures when using Windows XP's Times New Roman font. For other fonts like Palatino Linotype ligatures work. Doesn't Times New Roman provide ligatures or is this a bug? Best regards, Stephan Hennig \listfiles \documentclass{article} \usepackage{fontspec} \defaultfontfeatures{Ligatures=TeX} \setmainfont{Times New Roman} %\setmainfont{Palatino Linotype} %\setmainfont{Latin Modern Roman} \begin{document} \begin{minipage}{10cm} abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz\\ ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX...

Times new roman cyr problem
Hi, I have always used Pagemaker 6.5 un Windows ME and have never had big problems. I have now installed Pagemaker on a PC with XP OS and unfortunately am now having problems with the Times New Roman Cyr: when I try to create a PDF file the Cyrillic is transformed into another character or simply black dots. Can someone help me? Thanks, Scarborough, Italy On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Scarborough wrote: > I have always used Pagemaker 6.5 un Windows ME and have never had big > problems. I have now installed Pagemaker on a PC with XP OS and > unfortunately am now having problems with t...

exporting times new roman text?
Hello, When I set my axes fontname to times new roman, then export to an eps file, MATLAB replaces references to times new roman with a made up font named "times", which other programs don't recognize. Anyone know how to make it not do this? ...

Bug - Vista
Hi, I write many ps files in vista, with the times new roman font. However, this font has a bug: it has several characters named /N. This bug is confirmed by an internal source at microsoft; but they don't want to correct it, at least for now. If you use the /N character, you don't get the "N" one, but the "I with a circle below". The question is: is it possible to get the "N" character in this font? 1) the best is by writing some code at the beginning of the ps files. 2) if not possible, to write some code for each "N" you want. Thanks ...

REQ: Times New Roman CE font
If someone have Times New Roman CE font I would be grateful .. One software needs just that font for correct displaying some special characters and I can't find it anywhere. OS is Win98SE and Office is v97 (if this is necesery detail). Thanks, Nino On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Nino(slav) wrote: > If someone have Times New Roman CE font I would be grateful .. > OS is Win98SE and Office is v97 (if this is necesery detail). There is no separate typeface "Times New Roman CE". Central European characters are included in "Times New Roman". http://www.microsoft.com/typography...

Times New Roman and AMSMath, txfonts, MikTex
Hi, I need to use Times New Roman for a conference, but the addition of \usepackage{txfonts} (for which MikTex seemed to load the package) messes up the equations in the file. Here's my preamble: In MikTex: \documentclass[12pt]{report} \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx,color} \usepackage{fancyhdr,acronym} \usepackage{amsmath,amssymb} \usepackage{txfonts} The equations are mangled when I use txfonts. My main.log has lots of warnings concerning this font, but I'm not sure how to fix things. I've pasted main.log below. Much appreciation to anyone who can help out! Bruce Wilson This is...

11pt CM and 12pt Times New Roman are the same. why?
This MRS conference that I am going to wants us to use "Times New Roman 12pt font". It even gives instructions on how to change the font...click on the toolbar, select Times New Roman, then select the font drop-down box and choose 12pt... great... people who are going to this conference don't even know how to use MS Word. They all say that "Latex files are accepted". I noticted that Computer Modern 11pt seems to be the same as far as the number of lines is concerned, for the same piece of text. I'm going to go with this because it makes my document a bit ...

yet another Times New Roman post
Hi all. I'd like to know the difference between the Type 1 font ``TimesNRMT'' from the Agfa-Monotype collection and the new Opentype font ``Times New Roman MT Std.'' from Adobe's lastest Font Folio collection. My untrained eye sees no difference at all. Here's some metadata from each: **************************** tim_____.afm **************************** StartFontMetrics 2.0 Comment Copyright Copyright (c) 1991 The Monotype Corporation plc Comment UniqueID 301026 Comment Panose 2 0 5 3 7 0 0 2 0 3 FullName Times NR MT FontName TimesNRMT FamilyName Times NR MT Wei...

Converting PowerPoint to PDF: Times New Roman problems
When I make PowerPoint slides with text using Times New Roman in bold + italic and print them to PDF, any quotation marks, apostrophes, or ellipses in the text disappear. The quotation marks at the ends of quotes just disappear, but I can re-insert them in Acrobat using the Text Touchup tool. Apostrophes or ellipses lead a wide gap in the text and trying to correct them with the Text Touchup tool leads to strange behavior: the wide space seems to be somehow tied to the preceding letter, and trying to delete or type over or in the space or the letter leads to garbled or overlapping...

Is there Times New Roman version of Arial Unicode MS
I would like to ask if there any Times New Roman clone of Arial Unicode MS, which contain Chinese, Japanese and Korean Character, but the English and other western font are in Times New Roman style, is the market have anything like this? Carfield Yim <carfield@desktop.carfield.com.hk> wrote: >I would like to ask if there any Times New Roman clone of Arial Unicode >MS, which contain Chinese, Japanese and Korean Character, but the >English and other western font are in Times New Roman style, is the >market have anything like this? -- ...

Interesting story questioning the standard history of Times New Roman
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a2fa033e-7ca1-11de-a7bf-00144feabdc0.html On Aug 5, 12:25=A0pm, Dick Margulis <margul...@comcast.net> wrote: > http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a2fa033e-7ca1-11de-a7bf-00144feabdc0.html Fascinating, and sad. So much lost history. Thanks for the cite, I might never have seen this otherwise. ...

Times New Roman in Fedora Core (TeTeX) LaTeX environment
Hi folks. I (or rather a friend) needs to use Times New Roman for a grant proposal document. LaTeX would be far preferable to having to turn to Microsoft Word. The particular funding agency specifically says that "Times Roman" is not acceptable; it must be "Times New Roman". The instructions were written in a universe in which Word is the only word processor that exists, and we don't know why they would care whether it is "Times Roman" or "Times New Roman". We are using Fedora Core and RedHat distributions of Linux, which in the case of TeX means...

simple way to ods html to times new roman 11
Hi all, I use to export my results with=20 ods html file=3D'c:\client\results.xls'; data sample; set sasl; proc freq; table p1-p100; run; ods html close; how and where i can make the file be generate with Font Times New Roman, = 11? Thx in advance, Adriano On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:35:41 -0300, Adriano Rodrigues - Instituto GPP <adriano@GPP.COM.BR> wrote: >Hi all, > >I use to export my results with > >ods html file='c:\client\results.xls'; >data sample; >set sasl; >proc freq; >table p1-p100; >run; >ods html close; > > >how a...

argh! fonts & openoffice (particularly times new roman )
At first I was amazed that for the first time in ten years, a Microsoft product was doing better at rendering a document than something else. My resume grew about 20% with openoffice. I finally found the problem. Openoffice is guessing at what to use for "Times New Roman." This is a document that needs to be in ms word format (my resume). Anyway, google and dejanews searches come up with nothing for freebsd openoffice "font has not been installed" zero. No hits at all. Has something very weird happened to me? Do I need to do something to make it ...

Getting wxGLCanvas to display Bold Times New Roman fonts
Hi all, I need to display Times New Roman fonts in bold for my project and I need to way to do this using wxGLCanvas. I know about the Opengl tutorial in Nehe but it doesn't seem to fit into wxGLCanvas. Any hints? Thuan Seah Tan Thuan Seah <u2567446@anu.edu.au> ����� � ���������:418dd75a$1@clarion.carno.net.au... > Hi all, > > I need to display Times New Roman fonts in bold for my project and I need > to way to do this using wxGLCanvas. I know about the Opengl tutorial in Nehe > but it doesn't seem to fit into wxGLCanvas. Any hints? Dra...

Re: simple way to ods html to times new roman 11
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:35:41 -0300, Adriano Rodrigues - Instituto GPP <adriano@GPP.COM.BR> wrote: >Hi all, > >I use to export my results with > >ods html file='c:\client\results.xls'; >data sample; >set sasl; >proc freq; >table p1-p100; >run; >ods html close; > > >how and where i can make the file be generate with Font Times New Roman, 11? > > > > >Thx in advance, >Adriano You need to define your own style: proc template; define style styles.time11 / store=sasuser.templat; parent=styles.default; replace Fon...

font installation question "times new roman ps mt (T1)"
Hi, I use font style "times new roman ps mt (T1)" to creat a logo in my brother's computer. when I open the same logo.psd file in my own computer. It looks like my photoshop does not have the font "times new roman ps mt (T1)". Can anyone tell me what I can do so I can have the following font install on my computer? "times new roman ps mt (T1)" thank you Vincent On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:27:06 -0500, vincent wrote: > Hi, I use font style "times new roman ps mt (T1)" to creat a logo in > my brother's computer. > when I open the sa...