Undefined control sequence??

Hi

I'm a new TEX user. I have some problems with my installation and I don't
understand why.

To test my installation, I've written a very simple TEX file:

\documentstyle{article}
\begin{document}
This is my first document with \LaTeX{}.
\end{document}

and then my log file looks like this:

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=tex 2000.10.3)  05 AUG
2009 15:37
**testfile
(testfile.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \documentclass
                  {article}
? R
OK, entering \nonstopmode...
! Undefined control sequence.
l.2 \begin
          {document}
The control sequence at the end of the top line of your error message was
never \def'ed. If you have misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the
correct spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue, and I'll
forget about whatever was undefined.

! Undefined control sequence.
l.3 This is my first document with \LaTeX
                                          {}.
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

in fact it seems that my system doesn't know where to look for
the different TEX control sequences... but if I ignore this (by typing
'R') I have a dvi file with all my unformatted text...

Thanks.

0
nospam21 (19047)

On Aug 5, 4:49=A0pm, mark <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm a new TEX user. I have some problems with my installation and I don't
> understand why.
>
> To test my installation, I've written a very simple TEX file:
>
> \documentstyle{article} =A0
> \begin{document}
> This is my first document with \LaTeX{}.
> \end{document}
>
> and then my log file looks like this:
>
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=3Dtex 2000.10.3) =A005=
 AUG
> 2009 15:37
> **testfile
> (testfile.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.1 \documentclass
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 {article}
> ? R
> OK, entering \nonstopmode...
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.2 \begin
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 {document}
> The control sequence at the end of the top line of your error message was
> never \def'ed. If you have misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and th=
> correct spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue, and I'll
> forget about whatever was undefined.
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.3 This is my first document with \LaTeX
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 {}.
> The control sequence at the end of the top line
> of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
> misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
> spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
> and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.
>
> in fact it seems that my system doesn't know where to look for
> the different TEX control sequences... but if I ignore this (by typing
> 'R') I have a dvi file with all my unformatted text...
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>
> Thanks.

Try the command latex instead of tex, or if you're using a gui, choose
the latex compile option instead of the tex one.
0
pinkse (345)
8/5/2009 8:57:29 PM
On Aug 5, 4:49=A0pm, mark <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm a new TEX user. I have some problems with my installation and I don't
> understand why.
>
> To test my installation, I've written a very simple TEX file:
>
> \documentstyle{article} =A0
> \begin{document}
> This is my first document with \LaTeX{}.
> \end{document}
>
> and then my log file looks like this:
>
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=3Dtex 2000.10.3) =A005=
 AUG
> 2009 15:37
> **testfile
> (testfile.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.1 \documentclass
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 {article}
> ? R
> OK, entering \nonstopmode...
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.2 \begin
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 {document}
> The control sequence at the end of the top line of your error message was
> never \def'ed. If you have misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and th=
> correct spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue, and I'll
> forget about whatever was undefined.
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.3 This is my first document with \LaTeX
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 {}.
> The control sequence at the end of the top line
> of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
> misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
> spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
> and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.
>
> in fact it seems that my system doesn't know where to look for
> the different TEX control sequences... but if I ignore this (by typing
> 'R') I have a dvi file with all my unformatted text...
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>
> Thanks.

also: \documentstyle is old.  you should use \documentclass{article}
nowadays....
(though that simple a document will work if you latex it.)

cheers,
jon.
0
jonwrobinson (257)
8/5/2009 9:37:39 PM
On  5 Aug 2009 at 20:49, mark wrote:
> To test my installation, I've written a very simple TEX file:
>
> \documentstyle{article}
> \begin{document}
> This is my first document with \LaTeX{}.
> \end{document}
>
> and then my log file looks like this:
>
> This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=tex 2000.10.3)  05 AUG
> 2009 15:37
> **testfile
> (testfile.tex
> ! Undefined control sequence.

The simplest way to stop these error messages is to insert a line
\batchmode
at the start of your file, before the \documentstyle line. You should
find it will then compile cleanly.

You could also try using a version of tex less than 9 years old.

HTH.

0
nospam59 (11089)
8/5/2009 10:34:23 PM
On Aug 5, 5:34=A0pm, Falling Angel <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On =A05 Aug 2009 at 20:49, mark wrote:
>
> > To test my installation, I've written a very simple TEX file:
>
> > \documentstyle{article} =A0
> > \begin{document}
> > This is my first document with \LaTeX{}.
> > \end{document}
>
> > and then my log file looks like this:
>
> > This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=3Dtex 2000.10.3) =A0=
05 AUG
> > 2009 15:37
> > **testfile
> > (testfile.tex
> > ! Undefined control sequence.
>
> The simplest way to stop these error messages is to insert a line
> \batchmode
> at the start of your file, before the \documentstyle line. You should
> find it will then compile cleanly.

If by "cleanly" you mean "without visible messages", then yes,
that will do it. However, every "undefined control sequence"
message means some command is not having its intended
effect. In the OP's example, he will get a document that says:

"    article document This is my first document with ."

with no indication of what went wrong.

Dan
0
luecking (1319)