Using IEEE joboptions file with ghostscript to create PDF files

TeX and ghostscript gurus,
 IEEE has Acrobat distiller joboptions file to be used while creating
PDF files to be submitted to IEEE. I have searched through google on
the topic, but the hints does not work for me. The only symptom that
the joboptions file is not fully used that *I* can verify is that not
all the fonts are embedded.

 My environments are
1. System     : Linux (RedHat 9) with kernel 2.4.29
2. TeX        : tetex-2.0.2
3. Ghostscript: AFPL ghostscript-8.50

I have a sample latex file for a conference paper named test.tex. It
uses IEEEtran.cls and it calls several eps files generated from
xfig-3.2.3d(linux version) and matlab 7.0.1(windows version). I have
used the font Courier only in creating the figures and plots in eps
format.

I will show the following commands and outputs. (I'll add > in front
for my own comments)

[dhk@dhkpc1 test]$ dvips -Ppdf -D7200 -t letter -o test.ps test.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.92b Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2005.02.24:0826' -> test.ps
<tex.pro><alt-rule.pro><texc.pro><8r.enc><f7b6d320.enc><aae443f0.enc>
<bbad153f.enc><texps.pro><special.pro>. <cmsy7.pfb><cmr8.pfb><cmr6.pfb>
<cmmi8.pfb><cmsy8.pfb><cmsy10.pfb><cmr10.pfb><cmr7.pfb><cmmi10.pfb><cmr9.pfb>
[1<figs/transition_perspective3.eps>] [2<figs/cpw_surface2.eps>
<plots/sparameters50.eps>] [3<plots/sparameters75.eps>]

[dhk@dhkpc1 test]$ gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sPAPERSIZE=letter -sOutputFile=test.pdf
IEEE-PDF-Acrobat5-17Mar04.joboptions test.ps
AFPL Ghostscript 8.50 (2004-12-10)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021023l.pfb... 2404540 1067119 2179940
860903 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021003l.pfb... 2521684 1201317 2240228
925358 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021004l.pfb... 2638828 1330710 2220132
567443 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021024l.pfb... 2776068 1451905 2240228
577054 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n022003l.pfb... 2893212 1569061 2601956
877490 4 done.

[dhk@dhkpc1 test]$ pdffonts test.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
AOVYAT+CMR10                         Type 1C      yes yes no      22  0
MAFGXX+CMR7                          Type 1C      yes yes no      20  0
Times-BoldItalic                     Type 1       no  no  no      10  0
NBYHSN+CMMI10                        Type 1C      yes yes no      18  0
Times-Roman                          Type 1       no  no  no      12  0

> I'm only showing part of the output for 'pdffonts' command. Note that
Times-BoldItalic and Times-Roman are not embedded. If the joboptions
file is properly processed, all the fonts should be embedded and
subsetted. Failure of finding necessary fonts should result in abort of
the PDF creation.
> I tried adding '-f' switch just before the joboptions file name, but
the result of 'pdffonts' command stays the same.

[dhk@dhkpc1 test]$ gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sPAPERSIZE=letter -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -sOutputFile=test.pdf
IEEE-PDF-Acrobat5-17Mar04.joboptions test.ps
AFPL Ghostscript 8.50 (2004-12-10)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021023l.pfb... 2404540 1066523 2159844
857151 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021003l.pfb... 2501588 1197393 2240228
924702 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021004l.pfb... 2638828 1330134 2240228
570021 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021024l.pfb... 2776068 1451329 2240228
576304 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n022003l.pfb... 2853020 1505612 2601956
812430 4 done.

> I have only added -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress to the original command.

[dhk@dhkpc1 test]$ pdffonts test.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
AOVYAT+CMR10                         Type 1C      yes yes no      27  0
MAFGXX+CMR7                          Type 1C      yes yes no      25  0
NBYHSN+CMMI10                        Type 1C      yes yes no      23  0
OHMTOW+Times-BoldItalic              Type 1C      yes yes no      15  0
MLLBOX+Times-Italic                  Type 1C      yes yes no      13  0
BJNUAN+Times-Roman                   Type 1C      yes yes no      11  0

> Again, I have shown part of the command output. Here, all the fonts
are embedded and subsetted. I'm not sure if font-substitutions happend
for those Times-BoldItalic, Times-Italic, and Times-Roman fonts.
> I found out that '/prepress' switch is defined in
/usr/share/ghostscript/8.50/lib/gs_pdfwr.ps. It is clear to me that
ghostscript-8.50 *can* embed and subset fonts, which suggests that if
the joboptions file is processed properly quality PDF files conforming
to IEEE requirements can be produced from ghostscript in unix systems.
(Of course, joboptions file specified much more than just about fonts.)
> It leads me to the conclusion that
  1. The fist gs commandline is not properly written for the joboptions
file provided as an argument to be processed or
  2. gs-8.50 is broken in this respect. (but /prepress is a collection
of distiller parameter definitions just as the joboptions file is and
it works....)

Any suggestions?

0
kwon22 (7)

> It leads me to the conclusion that
>   1. The fist gs commandline is not properly written for the joboptions
>      file provided as an argument to be processed or
>   2. gs-8.50 is broken in this respect. (but /prepress is a collection
>      of distiller parameter definitions just as the joboptions file is
>      and it works....)

I am interested in this too as I have yet to see an explanation.
My best guess is that the default PDFSETTINGS adds the base 14 fonts
to the NeverEmbed list. See Note 11 at:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/AFPL/8.00/Ps2pdf.htm

Now when the job option file later specifies:

/NeverEmbed [ true ]

This is not enough to remove the font names already placed on
the NeverEmbed list by the default settings (that is, there is
some type of "internal" array which is accessed via the
NeverEmbed options interface).

When using -dPDFSETTINGS=/printer or /prepress, on the command line
the default settings are bypassed entirely rather than just being
overridden later, and so the NeverEmbed list remains empty. You
can easily see that the job options file is being processed by
altering its

/CompatibilityLevel 1.3

line to, say,:

/CompatibilityLevel 1.4

and seeing that this does in fact change the pdf level of the
output file.

However, I tried to modify the job options file to have:

  /AlwaysEmbed [true /Courier]
  /NeverEmbed [false /Courier]

so as to remove Courier from any prior NeverEmbed lists.
But this had no effect and Courier is still not embedded.
I sure would like to know if this is a GhostScript bug.

At anyrate,

gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sPAPERSIZE=letter
-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dMaxSubsetPct=100
-dSubsetFonts=true -dEmbedAllFonts=true -sOutputFile=outfile.pdf
infile.ps

should do as you require.

 Mike Shell
0
news11897 (366)
2/24/2005 3:04:28 AM
I verified that your last command embeds and subsets all the fonts
indeed. However, I believe that this is due to '-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer'
rather than the series of switches after that.
 Meanwhile, I have decided to go for a temporary solution for the
problem. I figured why not just put the distiller parameter definitions
directly in the file where all the pre-defined switches are defined. I
have added the following section to gs_pdfwr.ps just after the section
for 'prepress'.

start--------------------------------------

/.ieeeColorImageDict mark
    /QFactor 0.76
    /HSamples [2 1 1 2] /VSamples [2 1 1 2] /Blend 1 /ColorTransform 1
..dicttomark readonly def
/.ieeeGrayImageDict mark
    /QFactor 0.76
    /HSamples [2 1 1 2] /VSamples [2 1 1 2] /Blend 1 /ColorTransform 1
..dicttomark readonly def
/.ieeeMonoImageDict mark
    /K -1
..dicttomark readonly def
/ieee mark
  /ASCII85EncodePages false
  /AutoPositionEPSFiles true
  /AutoRotatePages /None
  /Binding /Left
  /CalGrayProfile (None)
  /CalRGBProfile (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)
  /CalCMYKProfile (U.S. Web Coated \050SWOP\051 v2)
  /sRGBProfile (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)
  /CannotEmbedFontPolicy /Error
  /CompatibilityLevel 1.3
  /CompressPages true
  /ConvertImagesToIndexed true
  /CreateJobTicket false
  /DefaultRenderingIntent /Default
  /DetectBlends false
  /ColorConversionStrategy /LeaveColorUnchanged
  /DoThumbnails true
  /EmbedAllFonts true
  /EmitDSCWarnings false
  /EndPage -1
  /ImageMemory 524288
%  /LockDistillerParams true
  /MaxSubsetPct 100
  /Optimize true
  /OPM 0
  /ParseDSCComments false
  /ParseDSCCommentsForDocInfo true
  /PreserveCopyPage true
  /PreserveEPSInfo false
  /PreserveHalftoneInfo true
  /PreserveOPIComments false
  /PreserveOverprintSettings true
  /StartPage 1
  /SubsetFonts true
  /TransferFunctionInfo /Remove
  /UCRandBGInfo /Preserve
  /UsePrologue false
  /ColorSettingsFile ()
  /AlwaysEmbed [ true
  ]
  /NeverEmbed [ true
  ]
  /AntiAliasColorImages false
  /DownsampleColorImages true
  /ColorImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /ColorImageResolution 300
  /ColorImageDepth -1
  /ColorImageDownsampleThreshold 1.00333
  /EncodeColorImages true
  /ColorImageFilter /DCTEncode
  /AutoFilterColorImages false
  /ColorImageDict .ieeeColorImageDict
  /AntiAliasGrayImages false
  /DownsampleGrayImages true
  /GrayImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /GrayImageResolution 300
  /GrayImageDepth -1
  /GrayImageDownsampleThreshold 1.00333
  /EncodeGrayImages true
  /GrayImageFilter /DCTEncode
  /AutoFilterGrayImages false
  /GrayImageDict .ieeeGrayImageDict
  /AntiAliasMonoImages false
  /DownsampleMonoImages true
  /MonoImageDownsampleType /Bicubic
  /MonoImageResolution 600
  /MonoImageDepth -1
  /MonoImageDownsampleThreshold 1.00167
  /EncodeMonoImages true
  /MonoImageFilter /CCITTFaxEncode
  /MonoImageDict .ieeeMonoImageDict
..dicttomark readonly

end--------------------------------------------

Note that I had to comment out the line for /LockDistillerParams.
Inclusion of the line produced a PDF file that could not be read in
Acrobat reader. I can now use '/ieee' with '-dPDFSETTINGS' switch.

[dhk@dhkpc test]$ gs -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-sPAPERSIZE=letter -dPDFSETTINGS=/ieee -sOutputFile=test.pdf test.ps
AFPL Ghostscript 8.50 (2004-12-10)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021023l.pfb... 2444732 1081010 2099556
791728 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021003l.pfb... 2521684 1208544 2139748
832840 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n021004l.pfb... 2658924 1341289 2159844
524413 1 done.
/usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/n022003l.pfb... 2755972 1399007 2541668
808110 4 done.

[dhk@dhkpc test]$ pdffonts test.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
OHMTOW+Times-Bold                    Type 1C      yes yes no      15  0
MLLBOX+Times-Italic                  Type 1C      yes yes no      13  0
BJNUAN+Times-Roman                   Type 1C      yes yes no      11  0
ORQFTK+CMR10                         Type 1C      yes yes no      17  0
MAFGXX+CMR8                          Type 1C      yes yes no      29  0

>Now all the fonts are properly embedded and subsetted.
>Well, I don't know how all the other parameters than those on the
fonts worked out.  However, the results of the above gs command with
the /prepress switch and the /ieee switch produce pdf files of
different sizes. I hope all the other parameter definitions had their
effects during the PDF creation.

0
kwon22 (7)

How to create two pdf files into one pdf file using pdflatex?
Hi, there! I use MikTeX on my PC. I have a tex file, I use pdflatex to create a pdf file. Now my problem is that I have other a pdf file, I want to put two pdf into a pdf file. Does anyone have suggestion to do this? I am like to put some tex code into my tex file, then I run pdflatex, I will create this two pdf files into one pdf file. Thanks! zyx wrote: > Hi, there! > > I use MikTeX on my PC. I have a tex file, I use pdflatex to create a > pdf file. Now my problem is that I have other a pdf file, I want to put > two pdf into a pdf file. Does anyone have suggesti...

GUIDE: Using xtopdf to create PDF from text and DBF files (including creating simple PDF e-books)
Hi, I'm giving below, steps to install and use my xtopdf PDF creation/conversion toolkit. This post is for end-users. xtopdf is both a set of end-user tools and a library for use by developers, to create PDF from various input formats. I'll post another message here about how developers can use it in various ways, sometime later. The steps are for the Windows platform. Will do another post for Linux. 1. Get Python v2.4.3 here: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi Size is not more than 10 MB. Install it - its an MSI, so just double-click. (Any Python version >...

GUIDE: Using xtopdf to create PDF from text and DBF files (including creating simple PDF e-books)
Hi, I'm giving below, steps to install and use my xtopdf PDF creation/conversion toolkit. This post is for end-users. xtopdf is both a set of end-user tools and a library for use by developers, to create PDF from various input formats. I'll post another message here about how developers can use it in various ways, sometime later. The steps are for the Windows platform. Will do another post for Linux. 1. Get Python v2.4.3 here: http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.3/python-2.4.3.msi Size is not more than 10 MB. Install it - its an MSI, so just double-click. (Any Python version >...

Write to text file. Append to existing file. Create file if file doesn't exist.
Hi folks, &nbsp; up to LabVIEW 7 there was a wonderful "Write to Text&nbsp;File" vi which allowed the option "Append to File". Now, in LabVIEW 8, this old vi is not longer supported anymore. Instead, I am suggested to use a new "Write to Text File" vi. This vi does not offer the option "Append to File" anymore. Rather it is proposed in the online help that one should use the "Set File Position" in order to append text to the file. This much less straightforward than the old solution. Furthermore, I miss an option which would create the ...

pdf file to text file ??
Hi....... All I am working on VC++ 6.0. In my application, I need to convert PDF file to text (ASCII) file format. Can I achieve this task without using PDF SDK. Is there any commandline EXE available that can perform such task.. Thanks in Advance. Kireet Gajera kireetgajera@gmail.com wrote: > I am working on VC++ 6.0. > > In my application, I need to convert PDF file to text (ASCII) file > format. > > Can I achieve this task without using PDF SDK. Yes. > Is there any commandline EXE available that can perform such task.. pdftotext in the xpdf package. Have a...

How to create a VMS PDF file from a VMS text file and an image (signature) on VMS?
I was searching on the NET about this. Does anyone know that the GPL (From GNU project) can do this. Any comments is appreciated. David circepb@optonline.net wrote: > > I was searching on the NET about this. text2pdf can be used. If you look at the archives, there is a fairly regular announcement of its availability for VMS. If this is not able to do what you need, then you can build a fairly standard postscript prologue that processes a text file, and then feed that to GHOSTSCRIPT which is able to produce PDF files as output. In article <m5f4c2pdp2oeldsa84ov87unakn2378c4a@4ax...

Technique used to rotate text labels when creating a PDF file from Access
This might be of help to some people. I have been producing some PDF reports lately directly from Access using the basic techniques found here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.databases.ms-access/msg/a49f0ddea9315902 The rotation technique I use below can only be used when Access creates the PDF file directly or when Access uses some PDF creation tool that allows the developer to insert additional PDF commands. I don't think that the Access 2007 PDF Add-in from Microsoft allows such customization. Even if you can find an appropriate place to put the PDF commands within...

how i can extract text from the PDF files,power point files,Ms word files?
hi friends, i need to extract text from the power point files,word files,pdf files for my application.Is it possible to extract the text from the those files .If yes plz give solution to this problem.i would be thankful if u givve solution to this problem On 25 Oct 2005 23:10:44 -0700, "crazyprakash" <prince.prakash18@gmail.com> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said : >hi friends, > i need to extract text from the power point files,word >files,pdf files for my application.Is it possible to extract the text >from the th...

Create XML file from text file
Hello all! I was wondering whether there was a way, using any XML parser (preferably xerces), to create an XML file by reading, line by line a text file. Thank you, Marios Tofarides matofarides@gmail.com wrote: > Hello all! > > I was wondering whether there was a way, using any XML parser > (preferably xerces), to create an XML file by reading, line by line a > text file. Generally not, since an XML parse, by definition, parses XML and plain text is not XML. What I've done in such situations is to write a parser for the source language (whatever kind of language i...

How to create help files / text files
I want to create a help dialogue that will just act as a reminder on do's & dont's I had in mind a text file with sliding bars but don't seem to be able to do this. The text will be about 300 words plus and it will be the same context in each record, any clues on how to do this? Ernie > I want to create a help dialogue that will just act as a reminder on do's > & dont's I had in mind a text file with sliding bars but don't seem to be > able to do this. > > The text will be about 300 words plus and it will be the same context in > each...

creating DBF file from text file
Dear all, I need to store pages delimited by FORMFEED character to Memo fields . each record is indexed by unique key such account number . Where can I find functions that deal with this matter ? On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 02:45:06 -0700 (PDT), happytoday <ehabaziz2001@gmail.com> wrote: >Dear all, >I need to store pages delimited by FORMFEED character to Memo fields . >each record is indexed by unique key such account number . >Where can I find functions that deal with this matter ? I'm a bit rusty now but isn't a simple matter of append from xxx.txt delimit...

How to convert eps to pdf with pdf file size same as the eps file BBox? (using ps2pdf)
I want to convert an eps file to a pdf file and the paper size of the newly created pdf file be the same as the BBox of the eps file. Would you please show me what options I should specify if I use ps2pdf? Or you can tell me some other ways. Thanks, Peng > I want to convert an eps file to a pdf file and the paper size of the > newly created pdf file be the same as the BBox of the eps file. Would > you please show me what options I should specify if I use ps2pdf? Or > you can tell me some other ways. This will do it: -dEPSCrop Govert Govert J. Knopper wrote: >> I want...

Text files read multiple files into single file, and then recreate the multiple files
Hiya, The title says it all really, but im a newbie to python sort of. I can read in files and write files no probs. But what I want to do is read in a couple of files and output them to one single file, but then be able to take this one single file and recreate the files I put into it. Im really at a loss as to how I go about recovering the files? obviously if i scan for a string that specifys the start and end of each file, theres the chance that the file might contain this term to which would split the files into unwanted chucks of file, which wouldnt be wanted. Any ideas? code snippets...

How can I use a pdf file as a help file?
Hello to all, Can someone show me some sample code how to hook a pdf file to my VO program as a help file? Thanks! Desmond > Can someone show me some sample code how to hook a pdf > file to my VO program as a help file? Why would you want to use PDFs as help?? The normal way to kick off Acrobat Reader is to use ShellExecute() Eg. ShellExecute( ; SELF:Handle(), ; PSZ("open"), ; PSZ( GetDefault() +"MyAppHelp.pdf"),; NULL,NULL,SW_SHOWNORMAL) -- HTH Steve Quinn Desmond, You normally use HLP or HTML he...

Web resources about - Using IEEE joboptions file with ghostscript to create PDF files - comp.text.tex

Ghostscript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ghostscript is a suite of software based on an interpreter for Adobe Systems ' PostScript and Portable Document Format (PDF) page description ...

Ghostscript 9.0 supports ICC profiles
... also supports ICC colour profiles and allows third-party Colour Management Modules (CMMs) to be integrated The developers have released Ghostscript ...

Bill Casselman's course page
PostScript is an interpreted language originally intended for use in printers.It can be used for many tasks involving complicatedgraphics, and ...

GhostPCL, GhostPDF, and GhostXPS
GhostPCL is Artifex Software's implementation of the PCL-5™ and PCL-XL™ family of page description languages. For more information please see ...

FileOptimizer can compress 33 different formats
... The program is essentially a front end for a host of other tools. Present it with a PDF file, say, and behind the scenes it’ll call up Ghostscript ...

The comet is here: Icaros 1.4 has been released!
We are really excited to announce the immediate availability of the new "point release" of Icaros Desktop, the most known distribution of the ...

Coders at Work: L Peter Deutsch
A prodigy, L Peter Deutsch started programming in the late ’50s, at age 11, when his father brought home a memo about the programming of design ...

Commands tagged mate - commandlinefu.com
Great UNIX/Bash commands tagged with mate - see these and many other invaluable command-line nuggets at commandlinefu.com

Cygwin Gold Stars
Cygwin Install Cygwin Update Cygwin Search Packages Licensing Terms Cygwin/X Community Reporting Problems Mailing Lists Newsgroups Gold Stars ...

World atlas of Flickr geotaggers is maptastic
The maps are ordered by the number of pictures taken in the central cluster of each one. This is a little unfair to aggressively polycentric ...