vertical align of minipages in enumerate environment

I'm trying to align the top of two minipages in an enumerate environment,
where the second minipages contains an array in math mode. The brace
obtained by \left\{ does not have the right height and I'm not able to
align both  minipages. Here is a code sample (compiled with teTeX)

\documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
\usepackage{enumerate}
\begin{document}
Text
\begin{enumerate}[\bf 1.]
\item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
Text
\end{minipage}
\hfill
\begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth} $
    \left\{
\begin{array}[t]{lcl}
   a &=& b\\
   c &=& d\\
   e &=& f\\
\end{array}\right.$
\end{minipage}
\item Deuxi\`eme items.
\end{enumerate}
\end{document}

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Regards

pirouz djoharian wrote:
> I'm trying to align the top of two minipages in an enumerate environment,
> where the second minipages contains an array in math mode. The brace
> obtained by \left\{ does not have the right height and I'm not able to
> align both  minipages. Here is a code sample (compiled with teTeX)
>
> \documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
> \usepackage{enumerate}
> \begin{document}
> Text
> \begin{enumerate}[\bf 1.]
> \item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
> Text
> \end{minipage}
> \hfill
> \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth} $
>     \left\{
> \begin{array}[t]{lcl}
>    a &=& b\\
>    c &=& d\\
>    e &=& f\\
> \end{array}\right.$
> \end{minipage}
> \item Deuxi\`eme items.
> \end{enumerate}
> \end{document}
>
> Any suggestion would be appreciated

I have wrote a (very long) suggestion in fctt.  Why do you post in ctt
and fctt at the same time?  Do you know that $\textrm{ctt} \cap
\textrm{ctt} \neq \emptyset$ ?

Well. Read the answer in fctt and post the translation in ctt!

   Jean-C�me Charpentier
> $\textrm{ctt} \cap \textrm{ctt} \neq \emptyset$ ?

you're absolutely right ;-) It's not very empty

/daleif
0
daleif (791)
2/11/2006 12:04:33 PM
pirouz djoharian wrote:

> I'm trying to align the top of two minipages in an enumerate
> environment, where the second minipages contains an array in math
> mode. The brace obtained by \left\{ does not have the right height
> and I'm not able to align both  minipages. Here is a code sample
> (compiled with teTeX)
>
> \documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
> \usepackage{enumerate}
> \begin{document}
> Text
> \begin{enumerate}[\bf 1.]
> \item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
> Text
> \end{minipage}
> \hfill
> \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth} $
>     \left\{
> \begin{array}[t]{lcl}
>    a &=& b\\
>    c &=& d\\
>    e &=& f\\
> \end{array}\right.$
> \end{minipage}
> \item Deuxi\`eme items.
> \end{enumerate}
> \end{document}
>
> Any suggestion would be appreciated
>
> Regards

The vertical alignment for minipages is not always very clear.
Sometimes it seems to behave a little strange, for more details see
e.g. LaTeX Companion. But in this case I think it behaves just as it is
supposed to. The problem is that inter-line math consists of an array
that makes it too high. Consider

Text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
$\left\{
  \begin{array}{@{}l@{}c@{}l}
    a &=& b\\
    c &=& d\\
    e &=& f\\
  \end{array}\right.$
text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text text text text text text

to see the problem that the baseline is approximately half a row below
the centre. That means that the second minipage aligns at the baseline
of the first row, as it is supposed to.

I see two ways of fixing it. The first starts the minipage with an
empty line and then moves back up:

\item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
    Text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text
  \end{minipage}%
  \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
    \strut\par\vspace*{-\baselineskip}
    $\left\{
      \begin{array}{@{}l@{}c@{}l}
        a &=& b\\
        c &=& d\\
        e &=& f\\
      \end{array}\right.$
  \end{minipage}

The second tries to fix the position of the minipage with use of
\raisebox. For this solution you also need the calc.sty:

\item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
    Text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text
  \end{minipage}%
  \raisebox{0.5em-0.5\totalheight}{%
    \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
      $\left\{
        \begin{array}{@{}l@{}c@{}l}
          a &=& b\\
          c &=& d\\
          e &=& f\\
        \end{array}\right.$
  \end{minipage}}

(Personally I like the second best)

/Stefan

vertical text alignment across a row in tabular environment
Synopsis: --------- I need help aligning text of each cell across a row to the bottom of that row. Elaboration: ------------ (best viewed in fixed-length font) Consider the following CME: \documentclass{paper} \begin{document} \begin{tabular}{p{2cm}l} selected item name & description \\\hline rope & a long flexible object made of intertwined threads\\ \end{tabular} \end{document} it will produce the following output: selected item description name ----------------------------------------------------------------- rope a long flexible object made of intertwined threads However, I want to "push down" the text of each cell to the bottom of the first row to touch the \hline, achieving the following effect: selected item name description ----------------------------------------------------------------- rope a long flexible object made of intertwined threads How can I do that? Regards, -- George \documentclass{paper} \usepackage{array} \begin{document} \begin{tabular}{b{2cm}l} selected item name & description \\\hline rope & a long flexible object made of intertwined threads\\ \end{tabular} \end{document} % Martin Tried it, MikTeX didn't like "b" in the arguments. Moreover, I want that "feature" to hold for the first line only and even if that worked it wouldn't solve my problem (because it would set the alignment for all rows). Any suggestions? Well, ...

Vertical Align text in text uicontrol
All, How can I vertically align (vertically center) text in a text uicontrol? hEditXmin=uicontrol(... 'Style','Edit',... 'Parent',hPanelWindow,... 'Units','Pixels',... 'Position',[70,400,50,20],... 'String','Xmin') In article <ef5398e.-1@webcrossing.raydaftYaTP>, David Arnold <dwarnold45@suddenlink.net> wrote: >How can I vertically align (vertically center) text in a text >uicontrol? >hEditXmin=uicontrol(... > 'Style','Edit',... > 'Parent',hPanelWind...

Text vertical alignment
Hello I'm trying to rotate some text using the updir and baseline settings but nothing seems to be happening. I've tried plenty of different perpendicular (and non-perpendicular) vectors but there doesn't seem to be any change whatsoever in the orientation of the text., so I was wondering if anyone here could spot the problem with it? The point is to have a piece of text vertical along the side of a printed page with an identifier number on. I tried doing it using an IDLgraxis and that worked, but it put the index number closer to the plot than the proper axis label (whi...

vertical alignment of text?
Hi, I am experimenting with a roll-over but am struggling to get the text to align, vertically, in the middle: #sidebar a:link, #sidebar a:visited { border: 1px solid #7A95CA; display: block; height: 30px; text-decoration: none; color: #7A95CA; padding: 0px 6px 0px 14px; } #sidebar a:hover, #sidebar a:active { border: 1px solid #7A95CA; height: 30px; text-decoration: underline; color: #FFFFFF; padding: 0px 6px 0px 14px; background-color: #7A95CA; } I have set the height to 30px, but the text appears to be aligning to the "top&q...

vertically aligned text
I am using the option to vertically align text. When I press "enter" to start a new line the text appears to the left of the first line. Seems to me it should be on the right side of the previous line. Is there a setting/control for this? -- Mahalo and Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii, Gene Check the justification. Aloha wrote: > I am using the option to vertically align text. When I press "enter" to > start a new line the text appears to the left of the first line. Seems to > me it should be on the right side of the previous line. Is there a > ...

Static text
Here comes the next chapter in my struggles with static text labels. I have two static text labels, and which are both placed in a uipanel which serves as the background. I would like the (vertical) center of the text on both labels to be aligned to each other - which I've accomplished - and to the center of the uipanel. However, the text in the static text label is not necessarily (even when I set the height to the minimum as calculated by the Extent property) the same as the center of the uicontrol. Is there any way to set the vertical alignment of the string inside the uicontrol rect...

Different vertical alignment of the text
To my surprise i noticed that the text on even pages is vertically placed lower than on the odd sides. The total height of text seems to be the same but the positioning that differs. I've heard that for even/odd sides, one can specify differently wide marigins and different horizontal placement. Is this true for vertical dimension as well? Why would anybody want that?! How can one resolve this issue? -- V�nligen Konrad --------------------------------------------------- Sleep - thing used by ineffective people as a substitute for coffee Ambition - a poor excuse for not having enough sence to be lazy --------------------------------------------------- Am Tue, 15 May 2007 12:22:19 +0200 schrieb Konrad Viltersten: > To my surprise i noticed that the text on even pages is > vertically placed lower than on the odd sides. The total > height of text seems to be the same but the positioning > that differs. > > I've heard that for even/odd sides, one can specify > differently wide marigins and different horizontal > placement. Is this true for vertical dimension as well? It is certainly not the default. > Why would anybody want that?! How can one resolve > this issue? Make a complete minimal example. -- Ulrike Fischer Ulrike Fischer wrote/skrev/kaita/popisal/schreibt : > Am Tue, 15 May 2007 12:22:19 +0200 schrieb Konrad Viltersten: > >> To my surprise i noticed that the text on even pages i...

Vertical text alignment in postscript
I'm trying to align text vertically in postscript but have some extra space above where the text finishes.Using !D.Y_CH_SIZE/2.0 as the mid-point means that the text is now not vertically aligned. Has anyone an explanation/solution for this problem? Attached is a small program to show the problem. Many thanks Andy PRO ll SET_PLOT, 'ps' DEVICE, FILE='ll.ps', XSIZE=8.27, YSIZE=11.69, $ XOFFSET=0.5, YOFFSET=0.5, /INCHES, /COLOR !P.COLOR=1 !P.FONT=0 !P.POSITION=[0.1,0.3,0.9,0.6] r = [255,0] g = [255,0] b = [255,0] TVLCT,r,g,b m...

text edit vertical align
Im making a GUI that asks the user to write something into a text edit box. However, it looks like Matlab defaults to vertically aligning the text to center. Does anyone know how I can stop this from happening, so that the text aligns from 'top'? I am new to GUIs so I'm probably missing something trivial. Also, on a similar note, does anyone know how to get the text edit box to wrap or start on a new line when it reaches the end of the box? In article <fod01l$60v$1@fred.mathworks.com>, Jack Branning <jbr.nospam@nospam.com> wrote: >Im making a GUI that asks t...

Vertical alignment of minipages in foils.
Hi, one one foil page I have two minipages, one containing the figure and one containing text with comments to the figure. Currently I am using fixed widths of the minipages, (It would be nice to have \textwidth/2 but I don't know how to get that.) and the text is somehow centered vertically because I don't know how to get two minipages top aligned. I would be happy for any advice. \documentclass[a4paper,dvips,landscape,17pt]{foils} \usepackage[english]{babel} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{url} %% This proc needs \usepackage{graphicx,url} %% 1 -- options to includegraphics %% 2 -- figure placement %% 3 -- name of eps file %% 4 -- caption text %% 5 -- label \newcommand*{\incfig}[5]{% \urldef{\filename}\url{#3} \begin{figure}[#2]% \includegraphics[#1]{#3}% \caption{#4\newline \mbox{\filename}}\label{#5}% \end{figure}% } \begin{document} \foilhead{VTT distribution on DIMM} \begin{minipage}{10cm} \incfig{height=5cm}{h} {graphics/figure.ps} {}{} \end{minipage} \begin{minipage}{10cm} The advantage of this flow: \begin{itemize} \item Projects do not run away by themselves. \item Responsibility placed somewhere else. \item More fancy tools needed. \item Increasing Shareholder Value. \end{itemize} \end{minipage} \end{document} -- Svenn Svenn Are Bjerkem wrote: > Hi, > > one one foil page I have two minipages, one containing the figure and one > containing text with c...

vertical position of text in minipage
I noticed that by putting some text in a minipage environment, its vertical position changes slightly (in the example below the "Some text here" moves a wee bit down, closer to "More text"; compare the positions between page 1 and 2). Surprisingly, if the minipage contains more text (e.g., by removing the % in the example below) the vertical position changes, so that it is exactly like in the previous page. Is there some way of avoiding these fluctuations in the vertical positioning of the text? Thanks, Dirk --- \documentclass[12pt]{article} \begin{document} \newpage Some text here. More text. \newpage \begin{minipage}{\textwidth} Some text here. % Remove comment, and position is same as on previous page. \end{minipage} More text, same position. \end{document} On Nov 25, 1:21 pm, Dirk Schlimm <dschl...@gmail.com> wrote: > I noticed that by putting some text in a minipage environment, its > vertical position changes slightly (in the example below the "Some > text here" moves a wee bit down, closer to "More text"; compare the > positions between page 1 and 2). Surprisingly, if the minipage > contains more text (e.g., by removing the % in the example below) the > vertical position changes, so that it is exactly like in the previous > page. > > Is there some way of avoiding these fluctuations in the vertical > positioning of the text? > > Thanks, Dirk > > --- > > \documentclass...

vertical alignment in tabular environment
I've been attempting to figure out a way to middle vertically align the contents of a table cell under LaTeX. I read somewhere, and can't find it again, that you could define the column formatting with m{width} as opposed to p{width} and it would middle align vertically (much like HTML valign="middle"). I've tried this with a recent teTeX distribution and can't coerce LaTeX into recognizing it as a valid command. Does anyone know if this is a valid column definition? Does it only exist in some distributions? Any other useful techniques for controlling vertical alignment of cell contents? Thanks, Lucas. On 22 Sep 2004 14:45:53 -0700, Lucas Panjer <l-panjer@northwestern.edu> wrote: > I've been attempting to figure out a way to middle vertically align the > contents of a table cell under LaTeX. I read somewhere, and can't find > it again, that you could define the column formatting with m{width} as > opposed to p{width} and it would middle align vertically (much like > HTML valign="middle"). I've tried this with a recent teTeX distribution > and can't coerce LaTeX into recognizing it as a valid command. > > Does anyone know if this is a valid column definition? Does it only > exist in some distributions? Any other useful techniques for > controlling vertical alignment of cell contents? > > Thanks, > > Lucas. > \usepackage{array} then use the m{length} specifyer (used...

align text within a minipage
Hi, I use an environment which creates two minipages next to each other. The content of the 2nd (the right) minipage is usally spread over several lines whereas the 1st (the left) minpage contains only a single number. Unfortunately the number will end up centered depending on the content of the 2nd box. E.g. i get: test 1999 test test i want: 1999 test test test i'd appreciate any ideas how to solve this. Thanks in advance. Pferdi <schal.und.nichtssagend@googlemail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > I use an environment which creates two minipages next to each other. > The content of the 2nd (the right) minipage is usally spread over > several lines whereas the 1st (the left) minpage contains only a > single number. > Unfortunately the number will end up centered depending on the content > of the 2nd box. > E.g. > i get: > test > 1999 test > test > > i want: > 1999 test > test > test > > i'd appreciate any ideas how to solve this. \begin{minipage}[t]{<dimen1>} .... \end{minipage} \begin{minipage}[t]{<dimen2>} .... \end{minipage} Ciao Enrico On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:49:43 -0700 (PDT), Pferdi <schal.und.nichtssagend@googlemail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I use an environment which creates two minipages next to each other. >The content of the 2nd (the right) minipage is usally spread over >...

How to align text beside a minipage?
Hi, In the output from the following LaTeX code, I would like the "3." to be on the same horizontal level as the "a)". I have used various incantations of \vspace and other things, such as putting the 3. and minipage in a table, but without success. Any help much appreciated. \renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\alph{enumi})} \renewcommand{\labelenumii}{\roman{enumii})} 3. \quad \begin{minipage}[t]{15cm} \begin{enumerate} \item Given the formula $T=\dfrac{d^3}{5ab}$, make $a$ the subject of the formula. \item Find the value for $a$ when: \begin{enumerate} \item $T=6, \quad d=3, \quad b=5$ \item $T=9, \quad d=-23, \quad b=2$ \end{enumerate} \end{enumerate} \end{minipage} Cheers, Brad On Feb 16, 11:31=A0pm, "Brad Cooper" <Brad.Cooper...@bigpond.com> wrote: > In the output from the following LaTeX code, I would like the "3." to be = on > the same horizontal level as the "a)". > \renewcommand{\labelenumi}{\alph{enumi})} > \renewcommand{\labelenumii}{\roman{enumii})} > > 3. \quad > \begin{minipage}[t]{15cm} > \begin{enumerate} > =A0 =A0 \item Given the formula $T=3D\dfrac{d^3}{5ab}$, make $a$ the subj= ect of > the formula. > =A0 =A0 \item Find the value for $a$ when: > =A0 =A0 \begin{enumerate} > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 \item $T=3D6, \quad d=3D3, \quad b=3D5$ > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 \item $T=3D9, \quad d=3D-23, \quad b=3D2$ > =A0 =A0 \end{enumerate} > \e...

Vertically aligning math environments
How do I get math environments to vertically align at their tops instead of their middles? Example of what I'm trying to fix: \begin{align} x & = \begin{split} a + b + c \\ d + e + \begin{split} f + g + h \\ i + j + k \end{split} \end{split} \end{align} This should become: x = a + b + c d + e + f + g + h i + j + k Thanks in advance. YZ wrote: > How do I get math environments to vertically align at their tops instead > of their middles? Example of what I'm trying to fix: \documentclass[12pt]{article} \usepackage{amsmath,mathtools} \begin{document} \begin{align} x &= \begin{lgathered}[t] a + b + c \\ d + e + \begin{gathered}[t] f + g + h \\ i + j + k \end{gathered} \end{lgathered} \end{align} \end{document} Herbert -- http://PSTricks.de/ http://TeXnik.de/ http://www.dante.de/CTAN/info/math/voss/mathmode/Mathmode.pdf http://www.dante.de/faq/de-tex-faq/ http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?introduction=yes Herbert Voss wrote: > > > YZ wrote: >> How do I get math environments to vertically align at their tops >> instead of their middles? Example of what I'm trying to fix: > > > \documentclass[12pt]{article} > \usepackage{amsmath,mathtools} > \begin{document} > > \begin{align} > x &= > \begin{lgathered}[t] > a + b + c \\ > d + e + \beg...

Vertical alignment of text with XYOUTS
I found a thread from 2000 (http://groups.google.com/group/ comp.lang.idl-pvwave/browse_thread/thread/3ad3177a461ebf7/ e61416078b522c60?lnk=gst&q=xyouts+vertical+alignment) about this. Someone asked about whether maybe there was a VALIGN keyword for XYOUTS, and David told them they were out of luck. Eight years and several revisions later, no change? From a technical standpoint, I don't see how this is any more difficult than aligning text horizontally. But that doesn't mean I want to do it myself. Ed Hyer wrote: > I found a thread from 2000 (http://groups.google.com/group/ >...

vertical alignement of character in text

Vertical aligning of pics and text
Hi, I'm trying to solve the following problem with LaTeX: I have a couple of pictures, each with a small description. Now I would like to have the pictures aligned horizontally, and the text aligned vertically to the picture it belongs to. Let me show you an example: XX Description 1 XXXX XXXX Description 2 XXXX This kind of drives me crazy :-) I have searched on google groups, had a look at several LaTeX FAQs and so on... I'm using the tabular environment, and I tried using m{} columns provided by the array package, I tried to put the text within a parbox, I experimented with \vfill... - but no luck. Btw: I'm using .eps files which are included with \includegraphics (as you probably guessed anyway). I guess that this is a common problem, but I'm still not able to find a solution. Maybe somebody can give me a hint or point me to a solution somewhere... Thanks in advance, Chris Hi, I finally figured out how to do it. Sorry for wasting your time... Here's the solution: Use m{} for all columns (I only used it for the column containing the descriptions). If you want to have the pics centered, use \centering. Here's an example: \begin{tabular}{>{\centering}m{3cm}m{3cm}} \includegraphics{foo/bar1.eps} & Description 1\\ \includegraphics{foo/bar2.eps} & Desc. 2 \end{tabular} The above results in XX Description 1 XXXX XXXX Desc. 2 XXXX Bye, Chris On 8 Apr 2006 11:08:48 -0700, "Chris" <chris_42@gmx.net> wr...

Vertical Alignment of Uicontrol Text
I wish to center the string displayed in a 'text' style uicontrol object. I can center it horizontally by using 'horizontalalignment', 'center', but there is no 'verticalalignment' property. How can I center the text vertically? Thanks a in advance~ A couple of things come to mind. I have had to play with the fontsize of the string and the position (size) of the uicontrol itself to make the string appear centered. For example, this looks centered on my machine. u = uicontrol('style','text','string','text'); set(u,'fontsi...

Vertical and horizontal alignment of minipages with tabular
I have two separate but related questions. I want to use the minipage environment within a tabular environment so as to create columns of different widths as it were on the same page. The first question has to do with vertical spacing. I want the both minipages to be at the top of a given row even if they are of different heights. By default the minipage with less material gets centered. No matter how I mess around with p, t, m, and b in both tabular and the minipages, I cannot get them both at the top unless I do so explicitly as in the second example below. The second question has to do with indenting of the first minipage within the tabular environment. I am sure it has something to do with defaults for tabular, but I could not get it to be at the margin without explicit commands as in the second example below. There has to a more elegant and automatic way to do this. What I want is the alignment on the second page but using something more standard like on the first page. \documentclass[letterpaper]{article} \usepackage{array} \usepackage{lipsum} \usepackage[lmargin=1in,rmargin=1in,tmargin=1in,bmargin=1in]{geometry} \begin{document} \lipsum[6-7] \bigskip \begin{tabular}{>{\raggedright}p{6cm}l>{\raggedright}p{9cm}} \begin{minipage}{6cm} \lipsum[23] \par \bigskip \lipsum[27] \end{minipage} & \begin{minipage}{9cm} \lipsum[23-26] \end{minipage} \end{tabular} \clearpage \lipsum[6-7] \bigskip \begin{tabular}{>{\raggedright\hspace{-21pt}}p{6cm}l>...

align environment within enumerate enrironment
The following code results in vertical space between the enumerate item number and the maths, which I would like to remove. \documentclass{article} \usepackage{amsmath} \begin{document} \begin{enumerate} \item \begin{flalign*} a + b & = c & \\ d + e & = f \end{flalign*} \end{enumerate} \end{document} The following code (from this google group) removes the unwanted white space. \documentclass{article} \usepackage{amsmath} \begin{document} \begin{enumerate} \item \hfill \vspace{-\abovedisplayskip} \vspace{-\baselineskip} \begin{flalign*} a + b &= c & \\ d + e &= f \end{flalign*} \end{enumerate} \end{document} However, it doesn't work correctly, for example, for fractions: \documentclass{article} \usepackage{amsmath} \begin{document} \begin{enumerate} \item \hfill \vspace{-\abovedisplayskip} \vspace{-\baselineskip} \begin{flalign*} a + b &= \frac{ \frac{a}{b} }{ c } & \\ d + e &= f \end{flalign*} \end{enumerate} \end{document} Can anyone please suggest a method of setting the vertical white space at the beginning of the align environment so that the maths in the align environment lines up with the enumerate item number, i.e the reference points line up? "Paul" <p.pontikis@latrobe.edu.au> writes: > The following code results in vertical space between the enumerate item > number and the maths, which I would like to remove. > > \documentclass{articl...

Wrapping text around a minipage environment
Hi all, Is there a way to wrap text around a minipage environment? Many thanks yes, if you embed the minipage environment in a wrapfigure one \begin{wrapfigure}{l}{5cm} \centering \begin{minipage}[t]{4.4cm}\centering \begin{small} INSIDE \end{minipage} \end{wrapfigure} s0198362 a =E9crit : > Hi all, > > Is there a way to wrap text around a minipage environment? > > Many thanks Thanks for your response. The trouble is (maybe I should have stated this initially) I cann't use figure environments (float within a float I believe). When ever I do I get the usual error ! LaTeX Error: Not in outer par mode Thanks do you have a piece of code with the problem? On 1 Mar, 18:13, pluton <plutones...@gmail.com> wrote: > do you have a piece of code with the problem? My sincere apologies. The wrapfig package DOES work. I just had some other issues. Thanks ...

Vertical alignment in tabular environment #3
I want to display two listings side by side with an equivalence sign between the two. I've figured this much: \documentclass{article} \begin{document} \begin{tabular}{lcl} \begin{minipage}[t]{0.4\linewidth} \begin{verbatim} my $ra; $ra->[2] = 'foo'; \end{verbatim} \end{minipage} & $\Leftrightarrow$ & \begin{minipage}[t]{0.4\linewidth} \begin{verbatim} my $ra; $ra->[2] = 'foo'; $ra->[2] = 'foo'; \end{verbatim} \end{minipage} \end{tabular} \end{document} ....but I'd like to center the \Leftrightarrow. How can I do this? Thanks. -- Jean-Louis Leroy Sound Object Logic http://www.soundobjectlogic.com Jean-Louis Leroy <jll@soundobjectlogic.com> wrote: > I want to display two listings side by side with an equivalence sign > between the two. I've figured this much: > > \documentclass{article} > > \begin{document} > > \begin{tabular}{lcl} > \begin{minipage}[t]{0.4\linewidth} > \begin{verbatim} > my $ra; > $ra->[2] = 'foo'; > \end{verbatim} > \end{minipage} & > $\Leftrightarrow$ & > \begin{minipage}[t]{0.4\linewidth} > \begin{verbatim} > my $ra; > $ra->[2] = 'foo'; > $ra->[2] = 'foo'; > \end{verbatim} > \end{minipage} > \end{tabular} > > \end{document} > > ...but I'd like to center the \Leftrightarrow. How can I do this? Don't use the optional argument to minipage...

vertical alignment of text next to figure
Hi, I'd like to do the following, in an automated way: within a \begin{figure} environment, put a few text characters horinzally next to a graphic (may do this twice), such that the tops of all the elements are aligned. I have in mind: a) ---------- b) ------------ | gr1.eps | | gr2.eps | | | ------------ ----------- I've seen some suggestions on the web using tabular and minipage environments, but none seem to be "from the Book" (as Erdos said). Any ideas? It's fine if I have to define a complicated command at the top of the doc, as long as it's easy to call. In particular I don't want to have to manually 'think' each time I do this, like figure out the height of the tallest figure. Thanks much. >>>>> David Strozzi <dstrozzi@mit.edu> (DS) wrote: >DS> Hi, >DS> I'd like to do the following, in an automated way: within a \begin{figure} >DS> environment, put a few text characters horinzally next to a graphic (may do >DS> this twice), such that the tops of all the elements are aligned. I have in >DS> mind: >DS> a) ---------- b) ------------ >DS> | gr1.eps | | gr2.eps | >DS> | | ------------ >DS> ----------- >DS> I've seen some suggestions on the web using tabular and minipage >DS> environments, but none see...

Web resources about - vertical align of minipages in enumerate environment - comp.text.tex

Environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is juicing bad for you and the environment?
Juicing is bad for your health and for the earth.

How airconditioners are helping the environment
The environment has an unlikely ally in the fight to reduce energy consumption.

Environment Canada downgrades snow forecast for Windsor-Essex
A special weather statement is still in effect for Windsor and Essex County, but Environment Canada is downgrading the amount of snow forecast ...

Trudeau: Environment Shouldn't Be A Topic For Political Fights 155
"The choice between pipelines and wind turbines is a false one."

LA methane leak is 2nd biggest in US history, most damaging to the environment
... 2004 in Moss Bluff, Texas , when an underground natural gas storage facility collapsed. Depressingly, the researchers suggested that the environmental ...

How to improve security in a BYOD enterprise environment
... with IT control over the device and stored data, etc. Educate employees about the risks when working outside the company’s protected environment ...

There Are 14 House Democrats And 3 Senate Dems Who The GOP Counts On To Vote With Them Against The Environment ...
A dozen Republicans have better environmental voting records than corporate whore Collin Peterson The League of Conservation Voters has released ...

How to easily raise $11.5 million in a bad startup funding environment, according to the CEO of Bustle ...
The digital media boom may not be over just yet. Bustle, a media startup focused on creating content for millennial women, has raised $11.5 ...

Republican Presidential Frontrunners Extremely Anti-Environment/Health
The top contenders for the Republican presidential nomination have repeatedly indicated extreme anti-environmental policy preferences, demonstrating ...