vertical align of minipages in enumerate environment

I'm trying to align the top of two minipages in an enumerate environment,
where the second minipages contains an array in math mode. The brace
obtained by \left\{ does not have the right height and I'm not able to
align both  minipages. Here is a code sample (compiled with teTeX)

\documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
\usepackage{enumerate}
\begin{document}
Text
\begin{enumerate}[\bf 1.]
\item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
Text
\end{minipage}
\hfill
\begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth} $
    \left\{
\begin{array}[t]{lcl}
   a &=& b\\
   c &=& d\\
   e &=& f\\
\end{array}\right.$
\end{minipage}
\item Deuxi\`eme items.
\end{enumerate}
\end{document}

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Regards

pirouz djoharian wrote:
> I'm trying to align the top of two minipages in an enumerate environment,
> where the second minipages contains an array in math mode. The brace
> obtained by \left\{ does not have the right height and I'm not able to
> align both  minipages. Here is a code sample (compiled with teTeX)
>
> \documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
> \usepackage{enumerate}
> \begin{document}
> Text
> \begin{enumerate}[\bf 1.]
> \item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
> Text
> \end{minipage}
> \hfill
> \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth} $
>     \left\{
> \begin{array}[t]{lcl}
>    a &=& b\\
>    c &=& d\\
>    e &=& f\\
> \end{array}\right.$
> \end{minipage}
> \item Deuxi\`eme items.
> \end{enumerate}
> \end{document}
>
> Any suggestion would be appreciated

I have wrote a (very long) suggestion in fctt.  Why do you post in ctt
and fctt at the same time?  Do you know that $\textrm{ctt} \cap
\textrm{ctt} \neq \emptyset$ ?

Well. Read the answer in fctt and post the translation in ctt!

   Jean-C�me Charpentier
> $\textrm{ctt} \cap \textrm{ctt} \neq \emptyset$ ?

you're absolutely right ;-) It's not very empty

/daleif
0
daleif (791)
2/11/2006 12:04:33 PM
pirouz djoharian wrote:

> I'm trying to align the top of two minipages in an enumerate
> environment, where the second minipages contains an array in math
> mode. The brace obtained by \left\{ does not have the right height
> and I'm not able to align both  minipages. Here is a code sample
> (compiled with teTeX)
>
> \documentclass[a4paper,10pt]{article}
> \usepackage{enumerate}
> \begin{document}
> Text
> \begin{enumerate}[\bf 1.]
> \item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
> Text
> \end{minipage}
> \hfill
> \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth} $
>     \left\{
> \begin{array}[t]{lcl}
>    a &=& b\\
>    c &=& d\\
>    e &=& f\\
> \end{array}\right.$
> \end{minipage}
> \item Deuxi\`eme items.
> \end{enumerate}
> \end{document}
>
> Any suggestion would be appreciated
>
> Regards

The vertical alignment for minipages is not always very clear.
Sometimes it seems to behave a little strange, for more details see
e.g. LaTeX Companion. But in this case I think it behaves just as it is
supposed to. The problem is that inter-line math consists of an array
that makes it too high. Consider

Text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
$\left\{
  \begin{array}{@{}l@{}c@{}l}
    a &=& b\\
    c &=& d\\
    e &=& f\\
  \end{array}\right.$
text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text text text text text text

to see the problem that the baseline is approximately half a row below
the centre. That means that the second minipage aligns at the baseline
of the first row, as it is supposed to.

I see two ways of fixing it. The first starts the minipage with an
empty line and then moves back up:

\item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
    Text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text
  \end{minipage}%
  \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
    \strut\par\vspace*{-\baselineskip}
    $\left\{
      \begin{array}{@{}l@{}c@{}l}
        a &=& b\\
        c &=& d\\
        e &=& f\\
      \end{array}\right.$
  \end{minipage}

The second tries to fix the position of the minipage with use of
\raisebox. For this solution you also need the calc.sty:

\item \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
    Text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text text text text text text
    text text text text text text text text
  \end{minipage}%
  \raisebox{0.5em-0.5\totalheight}{%
    \begin{minipage}[t]{0.5\linewidth}
      $\left\{
        \begin{array}{@{}l@{}c@{}l}
          a &=& b\\
          c &=& d\\
          e &=& f\\
        \end{array}\right.$
  \end{minipage}}

(Personally I like the second best)

/Stefan

How you can save fuel and the environment
Driving and Car Maintenance: Transportation accounts for 66% of U.S. oil use -mainly in the form of gasoline. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to improve gas mileage. Driving Tips:- Idling gets you 0 miles per gallon. The best way to warm up a vehicle is to drive it. No more than 30 seconds of idling on winter days is needed. Anything more simply wastes fuel and increases emissions.- Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration, and hard braking) wastes gas. It can lower your highway gas mileage 33% and city mileage 5%. Drive at lowest and constant rpms; 2000 rpm are enough; ...

What makes vertical dropdown menus ... vertical?
Okay, based on what I had seen others do, I modified their stylesheet and created a test webpage of a pure CSS dropdown menu. When I got it perfected exactly the way I wanted it, I moved it into my production testing site and voila ... the vertical dropdowns were no longer vertical but, alas, horizontal. I did not add the new stylesheet to my current stylesheet since my original only governs fonts and the new (2nd) stylesheet only defines the dropdown. Thanks for any help. On 25 Jun, 17:37, paintedj...@gmail.com wrote: > Thanks for any help. Thanks for a URL paintedja...

belowskip, vertical space below figure caption is too large
Hello, I can not seem to be able to adjust the space beneath my figures in my document. I have the following preamble and am using the caption package to try and address this. At the moment there seems to be about a 25--30 pt space below a figure caption and the main text body. Does anyone know how to address this?? \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{moreverb} \usepackage{pdflscape} \usepackage{setspace} \usepackage[aboveskip=5pt,font={bf, footnotesize},singlelinecheck=false,margin=10pt,belowskip=5pt]{caption} Regards Carolyn "cj" <carolynjtimms@gmail.com> writes: >I ...

compiling environment
Hello, I'm a quite new sgi user. I used a lot linux in the past and a friend gave me an indy r5000 to play with. I've 6.5.22 IRIX installed on it. I'd like to compile some package (like icecast which I've done successfully on my linux box). Icecast actually isn't supported on IRIX? is it possible to install it anyway? Which path do you suggest me in terms of packages to install? Do I need anything particular? I've the SGI Freeware disc set and also a 4 CD Nekoware cdset. Do I have to set up anything for compatibility? icecast also needs these packages: libxml2 libogg ...

Questions about alignment
Greetings A couple of questions: 1) If the address d is suitably aligned for datatype A then is it guaranteed that d+sizeof(A) will also be suitably aligned for A ? 2) If p is a pointer to some datatype B and contains a properly aligned address for B then does p+1 point to the next properly aligned address for B ? Regards Spiros Bousbouras -- comp.lang.c.moderated - moderation address: clcm@plethora.net -- you must have an appropriate newsgroups line in your header for your mail to be seen, or the newsgroup name in square brackets in the subject line. Sorry. Spiros Bous...

verticity
Verticity http://www.verticity.com is currently hiring software enginers and programmers specialy dot net developers in thier regional office Karachi. little about verticity inc: VertiCity was founded on the premise that through the medium of the internet geographic barriers could be broken down and a truly global city, where IT services could be provided for clients throughout the world, would be created. Our REMS (Remote Employee Management System) allows our clients to take advantage of a pool of highly talented and cost effective IT professionals. Our services enable IT Application Devel...

US-IN-Indianapolis: RACF Analyst, MVS, IDMS, CICS environments; Perm (45294957612)
US-IN-Indianapolis: RACF Analyst, MVS, IDMS, CICS environments; Perm (45294957612) =================================================================================== Position: RACF Analyst Reference: SMC01281 Location: Indianapolis IN Duration: Perm Skills: 3 + years experience as a RACF Analyst in a MVS, IDMS, CICS environment. Please send your current resume in confidence to <staffing@eurosoft-inc.com> ..45294957612. ...

"cast increases required alignment" SPARC ONLY
$ gcc -O2 -g -D_REENTRANT -DUSE_SOCKET -DHAVE_PSET_INFO -DHAVE_CLOSEFROM -Wall -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wsign-compare -Werror -c -o proc_thread.o proc_thread.c proc_thread.c: In function `proc_getput': proc_thread.c:109: warning: cast increases required alignment of target type { uint32_t *up; up = (uint32_t *) &work->u.msg[12]; xmit->seq = *up; } xmit->seq is uint32, work->msg is uchar * typedef struct workq_t { union { unsigned char msg[GSM_ULTRA_MSG_LEN]; uint32_t u; /* force uint32 aligned msg ...

vertical alignment
I am trying move the stacked green blocks, so that they of lower down, semi-covering the black bar. I want the two boxes to be stacked how they are (although it doesn't matter which of the two blocks is at the top - the light or dark green). The current code is here:- http://www.bytronic.com/tests/test4.html Note, I want to modify only the last two styles (if possible), as the previous ones are used for other graphs that behaved slightly differently. Otherwise, I will have to make more classes like barType2 etc. to cover this graph. Thanks, Martin -- Martin ...

DIV text vertical-align solution
Hi, Up to now, I didn't find a solution to align text in the middle of a inline neither block box in the vertical direction. That's because the vertical-align property is not active for many boxes. And when it is, not all the browsers folow it. I think there is a general solution in surrounding the box with another box, using the top property and fixing the top position at the middle of the surrounding box minus the half height of the box to place.The formula is parentNode.offsetHeight/2-offsetHeight/2 With IE we can directly code that with css style using top:expression(fo...

Enumerate on one line

Aligning Items in JComboBox
I have a JComboBox with a list of numbers, from 1 digit to 5 digits. Numbers with more than 3 digits have a comma in them. I've been aligning them with leading spaces. Is there any simple and quick way to align all the items in a JComboBox with the right edge of the box (which, in this case, would mean all columns keep the same place value)? Thanks! Hal I've not tried this out but it might work... myCombo.setRenderer(new DefaultListCellRenderer(){ public Component getListCellRendererComponent( JList l,Object o,int i,boolean s, boolean f){ Component c=...

Windows compressed vertically.
I am running Mandriva LE 2005. Originally, I installed it "over the top" of 10.1 and graphics were fine. Now I have re-installed it on its own. Windows seem to have been squashed vertically by about one-third. Buttons and fields for text in menus etc. are so narrow that no text can appear, although with multi-choice buttons, I can still select the correct alternative, if I know the alternatives well enough from using them under Windows. Once I inadvertently started an application as root. A root/.wine directory was created with no config file. Under these conditions ...

IFrame align="center" in Netscape and Firefox

Vertical justification?
Is there some way to make the standard text be separated into three parts with alignment to the top, middle and bottom over the entire page (within the margins ofcourse)? Top text\\ \vfill Middle text\\ \vfill Bottom text tlhiv wrote: > Top text\\ > \vfill > Middle text\\ > \vfill > Bottom text This will lead to underful hbox warnings. It mixes LaTeX's \\ command with the TeX primitive \vfill. The latter ends a paragraph so \\ ends up creating an extra line in the paragraph, but it is empty, (hence the underfull warning). If one uses \vspace{\fill} things are not impr...

arrows in an array environment #2
This may be a somewhat frequently asked question, but I've done web searches and I'm stumped, not to mention frustrated by my own attempts. I am starting with an array (or tabular) environment, with horizontal and vertical lines separating the cells: _______ |a|b|c| _______ |x|y|z| _______ I want to include an arrow, say from y to a. How should I do this? I'm trying xypic, but I find the manual incredibly frustrating. Here's what I have: \[ \xy \begin{array}{|c|c|c|} \hline \xymatrix"*"{a} & b & c \\ % try to create a matrix called * \hline ...

GUI: Can you make static text boxes vertical?
Is there any way to rotate the static text boxes displayed in a GUI? I'd like it rotated 90 degrees so that the text is displayed vertically. Thanks. "Jared Harrington" <gtg119t@mail.gatech.edu> wrote in message news:eee61da.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Is there any way to rotate the static text boxes displayed in a GUI? > I'd like it rotated 90 degrees so that the text is displayed > vertically. Thanks. Unfortunately, I don't think it can be done. (At least, not easily.) Brett > "Jared Harrington" <SNIP wants to rotate his/her text boxes ...

how to show labels in an equation environment in the maintext?
Hi, For example, I have the following code. For debugging purpose, I want all the labels be shown in the maintext. Is there an easy way to do it? \begin{align} some eq \label{some_lablel} \end{align} Thanks, Peng Am Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:13:07 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Peng Yu: > Hi, > > For example, I have the following code. For debugging purpose, I want > all the labels be shown in the maintext. Is there an easy way to do > it? > > \begin{align} > some eq > \label{some_lablel} > \end{align} > > Thanks, > Peng http://mirror.ctan.org/help/Catalogue/entri...

vertical splitter problem
Hi , My Mainframe contains a notebook. I am splitting one of the notebook page vertically in 2. The left pane contains a tree and the right pane contains a window comprising of other controls. when I give +ve value for the splitter, it is not splitting well and the pane is always on the left side. but when I give the -ve value it splits correctly! Then I tried giving a simple message box before splitting and after the tree creation. At that time , if I give the +ve value the tree splits correctly! what could be the problem? I am using the wxDefaultSize for my tree control and for...

Vertical Scroll Bar Speed (lack thereof)
This sure is different. In Eudora, with two windows showing vertically, email message subjects above, one text below, If I use the mouse to use the vertical scroll bar to scroll either half window up or down, the scrolling is slow as all get-out. I never experienced this before. But this is a new XP installation, so maybe something unique is causing this. What could cause this? Some wild setting? Thanks On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:17:22 -0500, jw@eldorado.com declaimed the following in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows: > I never experienced this before. But this is a new ...

US-NJ-Princeton: Project Manager,background in healthcare vertical; 6M (45320432408)
US-NJ-Princeton: Project Manager,background in healthcare vertical; 6M (45320432408) ==================================================================================== Position: Project Manager Reference: SMC01663 Location: Princeton NJ Duration: 6M Skills: REQUIRED SKILLS: Management: 1) Manages multiple functions based on the direction of the CTO a) Strong background in Healthcare vertical b) Works directly with CTO to provide consultative services c) Management oversight and partici...

Vertical alignment
Hello, In the minimal example below, I would like that the text between the two \hline commands are vertically centered. But the code below does not do that. The text appears closer to the upper hline. I would like that the text is exactly centered between the hlines. Why "m{width}" does not help me? Thanks in advance. \documentclass{beamer} \usetheme{Frankfurt} \usepackage{array} \begin{document} \frame { \begin{tabular}{ m{2cm} *{11}{m{0.5cm}} } \hline Age & 62 & 63 & 64 & 65 & 66 & 67 & 68 & 69 & 70 & 71 & 72 \\ \hline \end{...

Latex: Bullet points and left align...
I was wondering, a) how do we create bullet points in maths mode? would the command \bullet suffice? b) what command allows you to align your equation to the left while in maths mode? thanks as always - Kwaj jk <z3015094@NOSPAMstudent.unsw.edu.au> wrote: > a) how do we create bullet points in maths mode? would the command \bullet > suffice? Umm... That sounds like something you shouldn't be doing in maths mode. You're right that $\bullet$ is the correct symbol, but trying to do text formatting properly is not enjoyable in maths mode. More details, please. > b) ...

Vertical Scrolling Menu
I have 5 items to display in a screen. I may display only 3 items at a time. There is a possibility to scroll up and down in this vertical scrolling menu. I need some pointers on how I may implement this using javascript and XHTML. ...

how to increase vertical spacing between UL or OL items
Hi, what Property and Values are used to space out further from one another the items in a list (assuming it's possible)? The default presentation is a bit "bunched up" for me. Thanks, Dave Dave wrote: > what Property and Values are used to space out further from one > another the items in a list (assuming it's possible)? The default > presentation is a bit "bunched up" for me. I use: li { margin-left: 0; margin-right: 10%; margin-top: .5em; margin-bottom: .5em; } (The margin-right makes the LIs shorter than the paragraphs ...