What Does TeX Use Raw Fonts For?

I've searched for the past several days for the fundamental, no-frills
answer to this question and I cannot find one.

From what I gatherr, Postscript Type 1 fonts install raw (recXYZ.tfm)
and non-raw (ecXYZ.tfm) tfms into the directory structure. Why does
TeX need two such files for one font?

Note that for the time being, I'd like to limit the scope of my
questtion to TeX and the tfm's it requires, i.e., no talk of
pfb's or afm's should occur here.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  things were so uncomplicated?"

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
> [...]
> i.e., no talk of pfb's or afm's should occur here.

Correction: afms are OK here.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Rollin' and riding and slippin' and
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  sliding, it's magic."
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
8/22/2006 4:17:53 AM
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org>  schrieb:

> I've searched for the past several days for the fundamental, no-frills
> answer to this question and I cannot find one.
>
> From what I gatherr, Postscript Type 1 fonts install raw (recXYZ.tfm)
> and non-raw (ecXYZ.tfm) tfms into the directory structure. Why does
> TeX need two such files for one font?

TeX don't need the tfm of the raw font (if you don't try to use the raw
font naturally). I have a vage recollection that some driver/converter
or previewer at some time wanted to find the raw tfm, but I'm not sure
(YAP certainly needs the afm). You could rename/remove the tfm and try
to find out, but I wouldn't bother. The tfm doesn't do any harm and it
is useful if you want to get a font table of the raw font with
nfssfont.tex.

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
Ulrike Fischer <news@nililand.de> writes:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org>  schrieb:
>
>> I've searched for the past several days for the fundamental, no-frills
>> answer to this question and I cannot find one.
>>
>> From what I gatherr, Postscript Type 1 fonts install raw (recXYZ.tfm)
>> and non-raw (ecXYZ.tfm) tfms into the directory structure. Why does
>> TeX need two such files for one font?
>
> TeX don't need the tfm of the raw font (if you don't try to use the raw
> font naturally). I have a vage recollection that some driver/converter
> or previewer at some time wanted to find the raw tfm, but I'm not sure
> (YAP certainly needs the afm). You could rename/remove the tfm and try
> to find out, but I wouldn't bother. The tfm doesn't do any harm and it
> is useful if you want to get a font table of the raw font with
> nfssfont.tex.

Thanks Ulrike. Why would a device driver want to access the tfm? I thought
only (La)TeX uses the tfm.

Also, why do "non-raw" fonts have "ec" prepended to their names?

Shouldn't it be possible to use Postscript Type 1 fonts by simply
generating an OT1-encoded tfm file xyz.tfm, a (e.g.,) T1-encoded pfb
file xyz.pfb, and the following entry in
..../fonts/map/dvips/udpmap/psfonts.map:

  xyz xyz <xyz.pfb

?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "With time with what you've learned,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  they'll kiss the ground you walk
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
8/22/2006 1:22:58 PM
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org>  schrieb:

> Thanks Ulrike. Why would a device driver want to access the tfm? I
> thought only (La)TeX uses the tfm.

e.g. if my remembering is correct when you make with dvips an eps (-E),
it use apart other information also the metrics of the chars to decide
where to clip.

> Also, why do "non-raw" fonts have "ec" prepended to their names?

You can name your font as you like it. But when you start to install a
lot of font, a certain naming scheme is a good idea. "ec" try to
indicate that the font is like a ec-fonts, that is T1-encoded. But I
would suggest not to use the rec/ec-names but to stick to the
karl-berry-scheme used also by the other tex-fonts.

> Shouldn't it be possible to use Postscript Type 1 fonts by simply
> generating an OT1-encoded tfm file xyz.tfm, a (e.g.,) T1-encoded pfb
                ^ I guess you mean T1-encoded
> file xyz.pfb, and the following entry in
> .../fonts/map/dvips/udpmap/psfonts.map:
>
>   xyz xyz <xyz.pfb

Sure, if your pfb is T1-encoded this is possible.

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
e-mail: add my first name between the news and the @.
0
news9686 (1970)
8/22/2006 2:25:52 PM
Ulrike Fischer <news@nililand.de> writes:
> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org>  schrieb:
> [...]
>> Shouldn't it be possible to use Postscript Type 1 fonts by simply
>> generating an OT1-encoded tfm file xyz.tfm, a (e.g.,) T1-encoded pfb
>                 ^ I guess you mean T1-encoded

No, I meant OT1-encoded. As I understand it, OT1 is the 128-character
version of T1, the original TeX output encoding. Is this wrong?

This actually exposes some of my confusion on this issue. Doesn't TeX
ALWAYS expect OT1 encoding of the tfm file (for the textual, or
non-math/non-symbol, character set)? And isn't this always a
128-character encoding? Thus doesn't it mean that it is only the
device driver that has to have knowledge of the other types of
encodings (e.g., T1)?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "My Shangri-la has gone away, fading like
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  the Beatles on 'Hey Jude'"
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
8/22/2006 3:23:27 PM
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org>  schrieb:

>>> Shouldn't it be possible to use Postscript Type 1 fonts by simply
>>> generating an OT1-encoded tfm file xyz.tfm, a (e.g.,) T1-encoded pfb
>>                 ^ I guess you mean T1-encoded
>
> No, I meant OT1-encoded. As I understand it, OT1 is the 128-character
> version of T1, the original TeX output encoding. Is this wrong?
>
> This actually exposes some of my confusion on this issue. Doesn't TeX
> ALWAYS expect OT1 encoding of the tfm file (for the textual, or
> non-math/non-symbol, character set)? And isn't this always a
> 128-character encoding? Thus doesn't it mean that it is only the
> device driver that has to have knowledge of the other types of
> encodings (e.g., T1)?

No, TeX can handle 128-char-tfms and 256-char-tfms. And its TeX (or
LaTeX) that must know about the encodings. Its TeX/LaTeX that
translates an input as "a or � to "use char 228" (in T1) or "put an
accent above an a" (in OT1), look e.g. in t1enc.def.

The driver only get the instruction to use "char 228 in font xy".

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
e-mail: add my first name between the news and the @.
0
news9686 (1970)
8/22/2006 3:46:48 PM
Ulrike Fischer <news@nililand.de> writes:

>>>                 ^ I guess you mean T1-encoded
>>
>> No, I meant OT1-encoded. As I understand it, OT1 is the 128-character
>> version of T1, the original TeX output encoding. Is this wrong?
>>
>> This actually exposes some of my confusion on this issue. Doesn't TeX
>> ALWAYS expect OT1 encoding of the tfm file (for the textual, or
>> non-math/non-symbol, character set)? And isn't this always a
>> 128-character encoding? Thus doesn't it mean that it is only the
>> device driver that has to have knowledge of the other types of
>> encodings (e.g., T1)?
>
> No, TeX can handle 128-char-tfms and 256-char-tfms. And its TeX (or
> LaTeX) that must know about the encodings. Its TeX/LaTeX that
> translates an input as "a or � to "use char 228" (in T1) or "put an
> accent above an a" (in OT1), look e.g. in t1enc.def.

How does TeX "know," for any specified \font\thisxyzfont=xyz at 10truept, what
encoding to use? Is the encoding specified in the tfm for the font? It
doesn't appear to be. For example, I have a font called "dancers" in
my distro, and

 tftopl `kpsewhich dancers.tfm`

yields:

(FAMILY UNSPECIFIED)
(FACE O 376)
(CODINGSCHEME UNSPECIFIED)
(DESIGNSIZE R 128.0)
(COMMENT DESIGNSIZE IS IN POINTS)
(COMMENT OTHER SIZES ARE MULTIPLES OF DESIGNSIZE)
(CHECKSUM O 27745043577)
(CHARACTER O 0
   (CHARWD R 0.15625)
   (CHARHT R 0.2578125)
   )

%  Randy Yates                  % "With time with what you've learned,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  they'll kiss the ground you walk
%%% 919-577-9882                %  upon."
%%%% <yates@ieee.org>           % '21st Century Man', *Time*, ELO
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
8/22/2006 4:58:34 PM
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org>  schrieb:

>> No, TeX can handle 128-char-tfms and 256-char-tfms. And its TeX (or
>> LaTeX) that must know about the encodings. Its TeX/LaTeX that
>> translates an input as "a or � to "use char 228" (in T1) or "put an
>> accent above an a" (in OT1), look e.g. in t1enc.def.
>
> How does TeX "know," for any specified \font\thisxyzfont=xyz at
> 10truept, what encoding to use? Is the encoding specified in the tfm
> for the font?

In the tfm-files all chars are numbered, that is you have commands for
the char at position 0, then 1, then 2, then 3. The encoding is not
declared somewhere in the tfm, but the fact that the chars have a
specific order/number means that the tfm has in implicit encoding.

For each encoding you must make a new tfm. Fonts with ending 7t are 128-
OT1-fonts, fonts with ending 8t are 256-T1-fonts (in the karl-berry-
scheme). The LaTeX nfss-commands choose the correct font/tfm. If you
use \font\xyz=xyz it is up to you to make sure that xyz is right one.

> It doesn't appear to be. For example, I have a font
> called "dancers" in my distro, and
>
>  tftopl `kpsewhich dancers.tfm`
>
> yields:
>
> (CHARACTER O 0

This command tells that here are the metrics of the char at position 0.

--
Ulrike Fischer
e-mail: zus�tzlich meinen Vornamen vor dem @ einf�gen.
e-mail: add my first name between the news and the @.
0
news9686 (1970)
8/22/2006 6:05:56 PM
In article <m3pseth0k5.fsf@ieee.org>, Randy Yates  <yates@ieee.org> wrote:
% I've searched for the past several days for the fundamental, no-frills
% answer to this question and I cannot find one.

There is no such answer. I think the best answer is that TeX doesn't
use raw fonts, current TeX systems don't need them, and you're probably
better off if you can arrange your life such that you never use them.

The so-called raw fonts are intended for use with virtual fonts and the
dvips dvi driver. They are 'raw' because they don't include kerning or
ligature tables, just the character metrics, and they exactly match the
default encoding of the actual printer fonts.

The 'non-raw' fonts will have some other encoding which is presumably
more useful to authors. They're implemented as virtual fonts, consisting
of a tfm file file which includes ligature and kerning tables, and a vf
file which contains mappings to characters in the 'raw' font.

A virtual font is a font which defines its characters using dvi file
commands. Effectively, each character is like a page in a dvi file,
and the dvi processor processes characters in the font by saving its
position, processing the commands from the virtual font file roughly
as if they had occurred in the dvi file itself, restoring the original
position and advancing by the character advance width defined for the
virtual font.

In the context of raw/non-raw fonts, each character in the virtual font
is usually just a 'set char' command, substituting a character from the
'raw' font for corresponding character from the 'non-raw' font. The
non-raw font's A might be a set char command for the raw font's character
at decimal position 65, while the non-raw font's section mark might
be a set char for decimal position 167. Composite characters might be
a little more complicated, consisting of two set chars with some
intervening movement commands to get the accent in the right place.

TeX itself never uses the raw fonts, however the dvi driver ultimately
has to know how to map them to the actual printer fonts. dvips uses
mapping files for this, but it also uses the raw tfm file to get the
character widths. dvips uses the character widths from the tfm file
to ensure that letters are always aligned on pixel boundaries (at least
for printers which use the target resolution of the output file).
The tfm file is necessary for this purpose since character widths
are not saved in the dvi file.

This has been a rough description of an anachronistic usage. Today,
postscript fonts are usually reencoded in postscript, and only one
(non-raw) tfm file is used by both TeX and dvips.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
North York  Canada

Patrick's answer explains in more detail, just wanted to briefly answer
the original question :).

0
karl1343 (197)
8/23/2006 10:57:05 PM
Randy Yates wrote:
> How does TeX "know," for any specified \font\thisxyzfont=xyz at 10truept, what
> encoding to use?

TeX doesn't.  You have to write your own commands which select glyphs
from appropriate slots in the fonts you use.  This is why _plain_ TeX
is bound to OT1 -- OT1 slots are hard-coded into it's commands.  Take,
for example, definition of the acute accent from plain.tex:

  \def\'#1{{\accent19 #1}}

It takes glyph #19 from the current font.  Now run this command to
make a font table for cmr10 (which is an OT1 font):

  tex testfont

At the prompt, answer:

  Name of the font to test = cmr10
  Now type a test command (\help for help):)
  *\table\bye

In the resulting testfont.dvi you'll see that slot #19 (hex 13) is
occupied by the acute accent.

If you make a font table for a T1 font (e.g., ec-lmr10), you'll see
that it has acute accent at a different slot (#1).  Naturally, if you
load a T1 font and run plain TeX unchanged, the result will be wrong
(unless you only use unaccented English letters, which occupy the
same positions across all text encodings.)

The same holds for math symbols, although math definitions are a
little more complicated because they also refer to families.  TeXbook
is the definitive reference for this, but the free _TeX for the
Impatient_ has info on this:

  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/impatient/

Of course, it is possible to redefine plain TeX's commands to match T1
and then use a T1 font, but this is quite a lot of work, and packages
exist which do this, see

  http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/plain/contrib/fontch/
  http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/plain/plnfss/

There's also

  ftp://math.feld.cvut.cz/pub/olsak/oktex

but the last time I looked, most of the docs were in Czech, so if you
don't speak Czech it can be tough.

BTW, in LaTeX, the font commands are designed in such a way as to
allow switching between font encodings dynamically.  That is, they can
change the glyphs they access depending on the font encoding of the
current font.  But again, this is all outside primitive TeX -- you
have to use the `fontenc' package which provides all this mapping.

Best,
Oleg

0
eplain (25)

Using border.tex on an existing tex document
Hi I'm trying to use border.tex from the TeX archive to apply a border around = a page (http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/border.html). At the moment, as soon as I switch on borders using \borderson, the border = appears but all of my content disappears. Without \borderson the page conte= nt renders as expected (though of course, no border!). I've tried fiddling = with the page dimensions etc but I'm not entirely convinced thats whats cau= sing it. The border.tex macro looks like it should do exactly what I want, = apart from the missing content ;( The original tex content was generated using OpenJade ("openjade" version "= 1.3.2", "OpenSP" version "1.5") to convert from DocBook (v4.5) SGML/DSSSL i= f that makes any difference. The problem we have is DocBook/OpenJade/SGML/D= SSSL doesn't provide a way to wrap an entire page with a border (the best I= can do is wrap the page content in a border meaning headers and footers ge= t their own disjointed borders). I'm processing the tex file using pdfjadetex (pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-= 1.10b, kpathsea version 3.4.5) Thanks in advance :) Ian ikent@companieshouse.gov.uk wrote: > I'm trying to use border.tex from the TeX archive to apply a border around a page (http://texcatalogue.sarovar.org/entries/border.html). > > At the moment, as soon as I switch on borders using \borderson, the border appears Except that border.tex % border.tex: Macros...

How to use TrueType fonts with TeX
I've been asked to use some TrueType fonts with TeX. Ability to do math typesetting with these fonts might or might not be an issue. I did a search for 'TrueType' in the FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?keyword=TrueType Nothing there helped me with this problem. A google search for TrueType and TeX: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=TrueType+TeX revealed Damir Rkityansky's page: http://www.radamir.com/tex/ttf-tex.htm which is very helpful. I also found Harald Harders article: http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/info/TrueType/ ...

a good TeX parser for use by software that needs to read TeX?
Does anyone know of a good TeX parser for use by software that needs to read TeX? In particular, has anyone used the perl Text::TeX parser, http://search.cpan.org/~ilyaz/etext.1.6.3/eText/utils/Text/TeX.pm ? I have a 1500-page set of latex documents that I want to be able to generate html versions of, and the latex->html converters I've been able to find don't seem flexible enough, so I'm planning to write my own code in perl. Having a good parser already written for me would be a big help. However, my initial attempts to use Text::Tex have left me in some doubt as to whether it actually works. On the other hand, it may just be that I'm not using it correctly -- the documentation is pretty terse, and I may just be misunderstanding things. The version number is 0.01, which makes me wonder whether it's really just a project that was never completed successfully. Here's some sample input: -------------- This \it is a test. This is a new paragraph. -------------- The result seems to be that the parser sees the whole thing as one paragraph rather than two, and replaces the \it with the word "it," rather than parsing it correctly as a separate token. Has anybody successfully used Text::TeX? Or can anyone recommend any other TeX parser that has worked well for them? TIA! Hm, here's another perl parser for TeX: http://br.endernet.org/~akrowne/elaine/latex_tom/ Has anyone used it? Ben Crowell wrote: > Does anyone know of a good TeX p...

scavenging bitmap fonts for use in TeX
I am reading, line by line, the postscript code in an eps file, in the hope of being able to use the bitmap fonts in it. I think I will succeed in doing so, at least as far as using the fonts in postscript. However, I would also like to be able to make these fonts available for use with Plain TeX, having no information about them except the definitions in the eps file. There is probably a way to do this. If you know what it is, please let me know. There is a proliferation of different kinds of fonts one can use with TeX, such as virtual fonts and other stuff I'm not sure I've even e...

using TeX characters in a GUI text box
I am trying to use a TeX character such as the Greek letter mu in a GUI textbox, but I cannot get this to work. If I try to set the 'string' property for the GUI object using '\mu' this just displays '\mu'. Is there a way I can use the 'text' command as you would for a figure to put Greek letters into GUI objects? "Sean Larkin" <slarkin71278@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message <gk37he$t7$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > Is there a way I can put Greek letters into GUI objects? I don't know for sure, but you might be able to do this using ...

TeX font errors cheat sheet: useful?
Hi all, some time ago I wrote up some sort of cheat sheet explaining why TeX would fail to include a particular font, and what one can possibly to about it. I'm not sure if that may be useful to others as well, and whether I should put it up CTAN. Comments and suggestions very much welcome about <http://win.ua.ac.be/ ~nschloe/content/tex-font-errors-cheat-sheet> (click on the image to get the PDF). Cheers, Nico Nico wrote: > Hi all, > > some time ago I wrote up some sort of cheat sheet explaining why TeX > would fail to include a particular font, and...

Re: scavenging bitmap fonts for use in TeX
Ulrike Fischer writes: >I don't understand, why you are speaking of an *bitmap* font in an eps >file. I may not be using correct terminology, since I'm not very literate in this area. What would you call the following: TeXDict begin 40258437 52099154 1000 1200 1200 (trpnv.dvi) @start %DVIPSBitmapFont: Fa trope 9 19 /Fa 19 58 df<1307497E497EA8497EEBFFF8487F487F487F4814804814C013F8393FE0 3FE0EBC01FA2397F800FF0A3EB00074814F8A3481303A8007CEB01F01D25837416>33 D<EB0FC0497E497EA2497EA46D5AA26D5A6D5A90C8FCA6391F8007E0393FC00FF0397FE0 FF8A239FFF0 [snip] 486E7EA3486E7EA68200...

Using DISLIN in Fortran and TeX fonts not working
Hello All: I am not sure if this is the place to post as it is more of a DISLIN question, but I am using it it with Fortran77, so I thought I'd see if anyone else has this problem, or better, has the solution! :) I am trying to use the TeX fonts in a code using DISLIN as my visualization tool. To test the work out I tried the Fortran77 program found here: http://www.mps.mpg.de/dislin/exa_f77.html#section_14 Some other information. I am using DISLIN 9.1 and have TeXLive 2007 on my Kubuntu 6.06 computer at home. The above program does not seem to recognise the TeX calls at all. I was won...

libertine-legacy (Linux Libertine fonts for (La)TeX and pdf(La)TeX users)
A bug in the libertine-legacy package has been reported at http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/64795/ In fact, the ligatures in fxlbi.pfb are not bold. If the line \printText{fxl}{b}{it} is added to libertinetext*.tex, the issue is apparent; presumably the original developer forgot to test that combination. Although I'm the maintainer of this package, I am not the original developer and I'm unable to correct this problem; volunteers will be welcomed. There are three possible workarounds for users who encounter this issue. + avoid the ligatures by using, for example, f{}i instead of fi + change the default bold italic font to semi-bold italic which has semi-bold ligatures + change from bold italic to bold oblique which has bold ligatures Bob T. Am Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:05:10 +0000 (UTC) schrieb Bob Tennent: > A bug in the libertine-legacy package has been reported at > > http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/64795/ > > In fact, the ligatures in fxlbi.pfb are not bold. If the > line > > \printText{fxl}{b}{it} > > is added to libertinetext*.tex, the issue is apparent; presumably the > original developer forgot to test that combination. > > Although I'm the maintainer of this package, I am not the original > developer and I'm unable to correct this problem; volunteers will be > welcomed. As far as I could through some short test the font its...

setting TeX text variable depending on keyval-generated param? (low-level TeX question)
I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble getting the right behavior, which is: If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". If I \usepackage[scaled]{package}, same thing. And if I \usepackage[scaled=x.y], I want to set the variable to "s*[x.y]". (This is for font scaling, and I've used as my model the Helvetica scaled parameter.) The variable name (for the purposes of this conversation) is pnm@scaled. What I have that's not working correctly is: \expandafter\ifx\csname pmn@scaled\endcsname\relax \let\pmn@scaled\@empty \else \edef\pmn@scaled{s*[1.2]}% \fi I think what this says is "if pnm@scaled is not defined (case 1), leave it empty, otherwise set it to "s[1.2]". But the else clause is not working correctly, and I don't know how to differentiate between "defined by keyval but with no value" and "defined by keyval but with a value". Also I'm pretty sure I don't really know the difference between \let and \edef. Any help gratefully appreciated. Thanks. JDO john_owens@yahoo.com schrieb: > I am using keyval to set a "scaled" parameter and am having trouble > getting the right behavior, which is: > > If I \usepackage{package} with no [scaled] option, I want to set a > variable to a compile-time-specified default, say "s*[a.b]". > ...

Using arial sans serif fonts in TeX (not LatTeX)?
I have a user who has to produce a PDF paper that uses arial sans serif fonts. I found instructions on how to do this in latex. Can it be done in tex (using bluesky on a mac)? If not, can it be done someone else, i.e. by editing the PDF using Illustrator? Thanks. - Mark In article <4703aa83$0$493$b45e6eb0@senator-bedfellow.mit.edu>, Mark London <mrl@psfc.mit.edu> wrote: > I have a user who has to produce a PDF paper that uses arial sans serif > fonts. > I found instructions on how to do this in latex. Can it be done in tex > (using > bluesky on a mac)? If not, can it be done someone else, i.e. by editing the > PDF > using Illustrator? Thanks. - Mark You will need tmf files for the fonts. Do you have them? If not try googling arial "tmf file" or something like that. On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:43:15 -0400, Mark London wrote: > I have a user who has to produce a PDF paper that uses arial sans serif fonts. Ask the user whether he/she can see any differences between Arial and Helvetica: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/microsoft/arial/arial/ http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/helvetica/helvetica/ Then have them read http://www.ms-studio.com/articles.html Bob T. Bob Tennent wrote: > On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:43:15 -0400, Mark London wrote: > > > I have a user who has to produce a PDF paper that uses arial sans serif fonts. > > Ask the user whether he/she can see any differences between Arial...

Using fonts of (La)TeX in stylesheets of WWW-pages
Yes! It is possible: http://iki.fi/juhtolv/pelle.html http://iki.fi/juhtolv/css-download/ http://iki.fi/juhtolv/css-download/readme.txt You'd better use Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Galeon, Konqueror or Opera, because they support alternative stylesheets and MSIE don't. I'd like to support cm-super, too, but it is fscking huge package and it is real pain in the ass to find right font from those gazillion files, because they have almost meaningless fontnames. -- Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv "kun aamun veitsi taiva...

ClearType: Does Java AWT use its own font or use the OS's font in displaying text field?
Hi folks, I need to display some ClearType text in a static text field of a GUI window using Java AWT. I heard that Java 2D itself currently does not support ClearType sub-pixel technology. I am wondering if AWT can render font using OS's global font setting, for instance, on Windows XP, the ClearType font can be enabled globally, on Linux, it also has sub-pixel rendering technology can can be enabled OS wide. I am wondering if the Java AWT uses OS's font by default? Furthermore, what shall I do if I want to capture the RGB pixel values of the displayed text and save to harddisk? Th...

Table.TeX in Plain TeX
Dear all Normally we use the "Table.TeX" for aligning and formatting Tables in Plain TeX. Unfortunately I don't have the "Table.TeX". Can any one supply this or give any ideas of where it can be found. Thanks and Regards Saravanan,M. India Saravanan_Typesetter@yahoo.co.in (Saravanan,M.) writes: >Normally we use the "Table.TeX" for aligning and formatting Tables in >Plain TeX. Unfortunately I don't have the "Table.TeX". i suspect you may be thinking of tables.tex (plural tables). that is available on ctan, together with some documenta...

font editing software for tex fonts?
In my one foray into creating a virtual font, which was a replacement for the math italic font for use with Times Roman, the *really* tedious part was adjusting the font metrics. Are there are wysiwig font editors for tex font metrics? (I've seen VTeX's TFM Editor, but it only works for fonts in VTeX's IF4 format and I don't think it can be used with virtual fonts.) How about the following alternative? Use a PostScript font editor to create a composite type 1 font, adjust the metrics in that font editor, and then use afm2tfm? I see a couple problems with this approach:...

TeX programming for XML TeX
Dear TeX programmers, Kindly guide me how to develop the XML TeX work flow. Regards, Ganesh On 04/07/11 06:20, Ganesh Loganathan wrote: > Dear TeX programmers, > > Kindly guide me how to develop the XML TeX work flow. You have asked this several times. Have you done any work on finding out what to do? Do you mean XMLTeX (the program) or "XML and TeX" as a generic platform? Transforming XML to LaTeX requires learning a transformation scripting language such as XSLT. This should be your first task. The workflow looks something like this: 1. Author's text (usually in Word OOXML or OpenOffice ODT. but maybe in TEI or DocBook or a house XML schema): a. parse and validate b. (OOXML and ODT only) apply named styles to every object that requires formatting. c. add missing markup where required (editorial task). 2. Write XSLT (or equivalent) for first transformation to your required style in LaTeX (in a production environment, this would mean modifying your internal standard template, not writing it anew). 3. First proof formatted in LaTeX sent to editor and author for correction. 4. Repeat 1-3 as needed. 5. Penultimate proof to designer for corrections to styling. 6. Apply corrections, produce final proof; repeat 5-6 until correct. 7. Add PDF/x metadata and colourspacing if needed. If colour is used, colour correction and scoping will be needed at some stage, but this is a non-XML, non-LaTeX task, so it&#...

TeX
Check it out: www.BrandonsMansion.com ...

Original Plain TeX Fonts using LaTeX's \DeclareFixedFont Command
Hi, I'd like to use the computer modern, bold-extended, slanted 10-point font (cmbxsl10) in a style file. I'd like to use \DeclareFixedFont to do it since I want to ensure that the font family, shape, etc., doesn't change with the enclosing environment, but when I attempt, e.g., \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{TS1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt} I get the message LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not available, defaults substituted. and the desired font is not selected. However, if I use the plain TeX command \font\myfont=cmbxsl10 then I get the proper font (in a LaTeX document). Have I got the wrong idea in applying the \DeclareFixedFont command? Am I using the command incorrectly? -- % Randy Yates % "The dreamer, the unwoken fool - %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % in dreams, no pain will kiss the brow..." %%% 919-577-9882 % %%%% <yates@ieee.org> % 'Eldorado Overture', *Eldorado*, ELO http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes: > Hi, > > I'd like to use the computer modern, bold-extended, slanted 10-point > font (cmbxsl10) in a style file. I'd like to use \DeclareFixedFont to > do it since I want to ensure that the font family, shape, etc., doesn't > change with the enclosing environment, but when I attempt, e.g., > > \DeclareFixedFont{\myfont}{TS1}{cmbxsl10}{m}{n}{10pt} Sorry, that should be \DeclareFix...

TeX
Hi, I am attempting to get emTeX running. Does anyone have recent experience with this software? In particular, will installation of the emx dll included with the package conflict with more recent emx releases? Also, is support for recent printers available anywhere? TIA RWM On 2004-06-16, Robert Murr <rwmurr@pcmagic.net> wrote: > I am attempting to get emTeX running. If you don't have a special reason to install emTeX I would start with VTex. There is a OS/2-Version that's free for personal use. Works very well. http://www.micropress-inc.com > Does anyone have recent experience with this software? > > In particular, will installation of the emx dll included with the > package conflict with more recent emx releases? Allways make shure that you use _only_ the latest emx-runtime (0.9d) > Also, is support for recent printers available anywhere? For recent printers you might use ghostcript via 'uniprint' Franz Franz Bakan wrote: >On 2004-06-16, Robert Murr <rwmurr@pcmagic.net> wrote: > > > >>I am attempting to get emTeX running. >> >> > >If you don't have a special reason to install emTeX >I would start with VTex. There is a OS/2-Version >that's free for personal use. Works very well. > >http://www.micropress-inc.com > > > >>Does anyone have recent experience with this software? >&g...

Docx to TeX and TeX to Doc conversion
Dear TeX Experts, Really I proud of all the Experts. Kindly suggest me in Mik TeX itself any options to convert TeX to Doc conversion with high quality of equations also. I expecting the positive answers from the Great Team. Thanks and Regards, Ganesh Ganesh Loganathan wrote: > Dear TeX Experts, > > Really I proud of all the Experts. > > Kindly suggest me in Mik TeX itself any options to convert TeX to Doc > conversion with high quality of equations also. > > I expecting the positive answers from the Great Team. http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=fmtconv Hello, Tom Micevski <none@au-e29b6ec0.invalid> wrote: > Ganesh Loganathan wrote: > > Dear TeX Experts, > > > > Really I proud of all the Experts. > > > > Kindly suggest me in Mik TeX itself any options to convert TeX to Doc > > conversion with high quality of equations also. > > > > I expecting the positive answers from the Great Team. > > http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=fmtconv Thanks for this reply, but there is a more up to date list at http://tug.org/utilities/texconv/index.html But regarding what the original poster asked for -- "in Mik TeX itself..." -- there is only one solution, i.e.: use MikTeX installer to add the TeX4ht package, then call oolatex to convert LaTeX (not PlainTeX!) to an OpenOffice .sxw file . Open this file in OpenOffice or LibreOffice and save-as Microsoft Word d...

TeX / e-TeX disc groups ???
Hello, I found in eTeX manual that there exists disc groups (type number 10). I really don't see what they are... ;-( Any help ? On 10/21/2010 03:02 AM, GL wrote: > Hello, > > I found in eTeX manual that there exists disc groups (type number 10). These are active for a very short time while scanning the arguments of \discretionary. Best wishes, Taco ...

American Colleges that Use TeX and American Colleges that do Not Use MLA Formatting
This isn't totally about TeX, but I couldn't come up with a better place to post this. If you know of a better group/mailing list to which to post this, please tell me. I'm 17, and I live in the United States, so I'm determining which colleges (universities) that I may want to go to. I've come up with a few very precise properties of schools that I find important. These may seem nitpicky at first, but they should predict broader and less precise aspects of the school. First, does anyone know of any American colleges where TeX-use is required or strongly encouraged for subjects other than math and humanities? Second, are there any schools where MLA style is not used _at all_? And, just to make sure, is the format that they do use: * better than MLA * available as a LaTeX class Thomas Levine On Jul 10, 1:33 am, Thomas Levine <thomas.lev...@gmail.com> wrote: > First, does anyone know of any American colleges where TeX-use is > required or strongly encouraged for subjects other than math and > humanities? No. No one knows of any. > Second, are there any schools where MLA style is not used _at all_? > And, just to make sure, is the format that they do use: > * better than MLA > * available as a LaTeX class No. Jim Jim <jim.hefferon@gmail.com> writes: > On Jul 10, 1:33 am, Thomas Levine <thomas.lev...@gmail.com> wrote: >> First, does anyone know of any American colleges where TeX-use is >> req...

Using Tex in Wiki
am using the <math> environment in Wiki that seems to be modelled on Latex, therefore I was wondering if someone here would be able to help me. We use a tilde (~) underneath a letter to mark an operator in our quantum mechanics notation and Wiki doesn't recognise the definition of a macro that one of our wrote that produces what we want in Latex, the macro is as follows: \newcommand{\op}[1]{% \fontdimen12\textfont3=2pt\fontdimen12\scriptfont3=1.4pt% \!\null\mathop{\vphantom{#1}\smash{#1}}\limits_{\!\sim}\null\!} as Wiki doesn't know most of the functions used above, this doesn't work there. Does anyone know of another way of producing the same effect in a way that Wiki would understand? Someone has since suggested that \underset\sim{A} would work, but unfortunately Wiki doesn't know \underset either.... Many thanks for any help, Rob. Rob wrote: > am using the <math> environment in Wiki that seems to be modelled on > Latex, therefore I was wondering if someone here would be able to help > me. We use a tilde (~) underneath a letter to mark an operator in our > quantum mechanics notation and Wiki doesn't recognise the definition of > a macro that one of our wrote that produces what we want in Latex, the > macro is as follows: > > \newcommand{\op}[1]{% > \fontdimen12\textfont3=2pt\fontdimen12\scriptfont3=1.4pt% > \!\null\mathop{\vphantom{#1}\smash{#1}}\limits_{\!\sim}\null\!} > > as Wiki...

TrueType fonts in TeX
This sounds like a FAQ, but I couldn't find it in the TeX/LaTeX FAQs. I've got a bunch of TrueType font files *.ttf that I would like to make use of under TeX. How do I go about to doing that? I have seen one or two discussions on the issue in the net but, quite frankly, I found them either rather opaque (going on about a number of font-related issues that escape my understanding) or non-functional (the approaches proposed just don't work.) I wonder if anybody in this group could provide pointers to a recipe that explains how to do what I am asking for. I am not a typesetting-...

Web resources about - What Does TeX Use Raw Fonts For? - comp.text.tex

Font - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the traditional meaning of "font". For the electronic data file, see Computer font . For other uses, see Font (disambiguation) ...

Facebook Testing Different Fonts For News Feed
When Facebook Co-Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg introduced the social network’s redesigned News Feed last March , he repeatedly referred to ...

Facebook tests different fonts for News Feed
... test discovered by Fast Company shows that designers are doing what they can to make this true. Facebook is toying with using serif fonts on ...

Google Fonts (@googlefonts) on Twitter
Web developers, keep yours eyes on the progress of new web font features with caniuse.com ( caniuse.com/feed.php?

If you're developing web apps, you're nuts if you aren't using Font Awesome. Seriously.
... our work is totally text and structure. Adding a bit of graphics is like adding spice to a sauce. And they're fun! We're lucky because Font ...

What font is best for resumes?
Arial &amp; Times New Roman are typical fonts used in resumes. However, I read a resume writing handbook in which the author claimed that Times ...

Quick Fonts - Add cool style fonts and words to create a pretty photo caption on your pictures on the ...
Get Quick Fonts - Add cool style fonts and words to create a pretty photo caption on your pictures on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, ...

Font furore breaks out over referendum pamphlets
Case for four-year parliamentary terms in bigger text than opponents.

Science flunks experimental font used on interstate signs
Filed under: Etc. , Government/Legal After an experiment with a new font on interstate road signs, the Federal Highway Administration says its ...

'Operator' is a font designed to make coding easier
... (this writer included), coders have an altogether different view of typefaces and how they're presented. Thus, Operator Mono, the new font from ...