Example of an XML document with an inline xml schema

Hi All,

I'm looking for a little example of an xml document which is validated
using an inline xml schema.  I'm a bit of a newbie, and I'm finding
this to be a bit of a mind bender, so an example or some pointers which
show me how to achieve this would be much appreciated.

I look forward to any help or advice any one can offer.

Naran

Here's a trivial example

<arbitrarytag xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
              xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="#local">
 <xs:schema id="local">
  <xs:element name="root" type="xs:integer"/>
 </xs:schema>
 <root>35a</root>
</arbitrarytag>

At least XSV [1] will process this in the desired way.

ht

[1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xsv-status.html
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk
ht1 (120)
12/13/2005 10:07:31 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxmlnet/html/inlschma.asp

--
Stan Kitsis
Program Manager, XML Technologies

"WideBoy" <naran.hirani@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a little example of an xml document which is validated
> using an inline xml schema.  I'm a bit of a newbie, and I'm finding
> this to be a bit of a mind bender, so an example or some pointers which
> show me how to achieve this would be much appreciated.
>
> I look forward to any help or advice any one can offer.
>
> Naran

0
skits (64)
12/21/2005 7:10:55 PM
Stan,

I tried using and testing the resource on the page you refer to, but
unfortunately, it too does not seem to work within XMLSpy? It seems
XMLSpy does not like an XML doc that starts with <root> after the XML
PI.  In addition it doesn't seem to like the other suggestions
mentioned at this url.  So still waiting for something works or even
some one to tell me that this sort of thing can not be done in XML
schema.  This would be v. strange and a retrograde step especially as
this is possible in DTDs, so what gives?

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Naran

Naran,

Just because one of the tools thinks something is invalid, doesn't mean it
is.  As Henry Thompson said in his earlier post, complain to the tool vendor
about the problems.  When it comes to schema-related questions, Henry is
usually the ultimate authority - after all, he's one of the main people
behind the W3C Schema spec.

--

> Stan,
>
> I tried using and testing the resource on the page you refer to, but
> unfortunately, it too does not seem to work within XMLSpy? It seems
> XMLSpy does not like an XML doc that starts with <root> after the XML
> PI.  In addition it doesn't seem to like the other suggestions
> mentioned at this url.  So still waiting for something works or even
> some one to tell me that this sort of thing can not be done in XML
> schema.  This would be v. strange and a retrograde step especially as
> this is possible in DTDs, so what gives?
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Naran

0
skits (64)

Help on including one XML document within another XML document using XML Schemas
Hi I would like to specify an XML schema that would allow an XML document to be included within another XML document. The following example schema gives an idea of what we're trying to achieve ServiceResponse.xsd -------------------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="serviceResponse" type="ServiceResponse"/> <xs:complexType name="ServiceResponse"> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="anXMLDocument" type="xs:string"/> <xs:element name="someOtherData" type="xs:string"/> </xs:sequence> </xs:complexType> </xs:schema> The element anXMLDocument would contain an XML data string that would be parsed against a different XML Schema. The identity of the XML Schema for parsing anXMLDocument is not known at the time the ServiceResponse XML is parsed. Previously when we used DTDs we used inline CDATA wrappers around the contained XML document to avoid it being parsed. Can we still continue to use inline CDATA wrappers around the XML data when we parse against XML schemas? I've tried looking into the XML Schema specs but the mention of CDATA seems a bit sparse and doesn't seem to answer the question. If we can't use an inline CDATA wrapper i...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

web.xml / XML schema issue, why do some XML schema attributes disappear
Hi I'm trying to get my j2ee app to run on Jboss (version 3.2.3), but Jboss complains there are some missing attributes in the web-app element. The attributes are present in the XML file, but they seem to be removed by the parser, also when I view the file in a web browser. My XML below (I have cut out a lot of stuff for the purpose of this post) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app xmlns="...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

XML Schema to XML Schema Conversion
Subject: XML Schema to XML Schema Conversion I have an XML Schema A which needs to mapped to another XML Schema B. Is there any handy tool which I could use to convert from Schema A to Schema B? Any related informaiton on this is appreciated. Thanks! XML Schema's represent the overall structure of your xml document. So if you want a different schema, you should create it. If you have commonality between the two schema's then you should think of putting that commonality in another schema and import that schema to your other schemas.. ie. if Schema A and Schema B have common features, create Schema C import Schema C into both Schema A and Schema B. about transforming one schema to another, there is the XSLT transformation which possibly could do this (since XSD is itself an XML document) but i havent that myself. Stylus Studio is something that you may want to use to play with this. "Hari Om" <hari_om@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d1d5ebe4.0403021238.4175e63f@posting.google.com... > Subject: XML Schema to XML Schema Conversion > > I have an XML Schema A which needs to mapped to another XML Schema B. > Is there any handy tool which I could use to convert from Schema A to > Schema B? > > Any related informaiton on this is appreciated. > > Thanks! ...

q) XML Schema and valid XML documents
Wikipedia provides the following definition for valid XML document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML): it contains a reference to a Document Type Definition (DTD), and that its elements and attributes are declared in that DTD and follow the grammatical rules for them that the DTD specifies. There is no reference to XML Schema in the above defintion. I am presuming that this is a dated definition for valid XML document and that an XML document that has an XML Schema associated with it is also a valid XML document. Kindly confirm. Thanks, Ramesh In article &l...

Validating parsed XML document against XML-schema
*PROBLEM: how to validate parsed XML document against (parsed) XML-schema. *IN: XML document as org.w3c.dom.Document, XML-schema as stream *OUT: information if document is valid against schema. If document is not valid DETAILED information about ALL errors (especially: node that caused problem). *Additional information: - validation is performed quite often, - XML-document object is changed quite often, - XML-Schema is fixed. - XML-document doesn't contain information about related XML-schema (attr xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation) - XML-Sche...

Transfer XML schema to XML document in PL/SQL
Hi guys, I have a problem with xml in PL/SQL I am getting an xml schema from an stored prodedure, and supposed to use it to generate the new xml document(step1) and hardcode some values for some of the nodes inside the document(step2). Can anyone give me a hand on both steps? Really appreciated for any help in advance :) Jun wrote: > Hi guys, > > I have a problem with xml in PL/SQL > I am getting an xml schema from an stored prodedure, and supposed > to > use it to generate the new xml document(step1) and hardcode some values > for some > o...

Refer to an XML document from within an XML document
Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML document? How do I do this? TIA, - Manish Manish Hatwalne wrote: > Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML > document? How do I do this? XLink: http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/ XPointer framework: http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/ http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-element/ XInclude: http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/ Check out yourself which of them comes close to what you understand "reference an XML document" to do. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ ...

XML Validation From XML Schema
I am trying to validate a XML file from java according to a XML Schema and get a list of all elements that fail validation. I am utilizing a class that implements the ErrorHandler interface and can generate the list if all errors. The problem is that I need to send back the XPath of the offending elements. The data in the message field of the ErrorHandler is not the complete XPath. Does anyone have a solution of this problem? MJ ...

Change to the public schema document for the XML namespace (xml.xsd)
The schema document at http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd has changed, in order to (belatedly) track the change to xml:lang in XML 3rd edition [1], which now allows the empty string as well as a language code. Per the standard change policy, the old version is still available [2] and will not be changed. A copy of the new version which will never change is also available [3]. ht, on behalf of the W3C XML Core Working Group [followups to public-xml-core-wg@w3.org, please] [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag [2] http://www.w3.org/2004/10/xml.xsd [3] http://www.w3.org/2005/08/xml.xsd -- Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh Half-time member of W3C Team 2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440 Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/ [mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is forged spam] ...

XML schema validation of one xml block based on values from another xml block
Hi! Is possible to do xml validation of one xml block based on values from another xml block? For example, I have an input xml file containing account types. <Root> <AccountTypes> <AccountType></AccountType> �������������.. </AccountTypes> <Accounts> <Account> <AccountType></AccountType> </Account> </Accounts> </Root> Is there a way I can put restriction in schema that <Account> must have only such <AccountType> that are listed in <AccountTypes> The file size is 20-25 MB. (It would not be a good idea to load it into DOM) It is preferably to catch it before processing will start Thank you, Andy ...

XML to XML conversion

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format
I'm migrating data into a content management system and in order to use the import tool provided I need to change the format of a large xml file and convert each entry to a seperate xml file. This is what I have now: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <dataroot xmlns:od="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:officedata" generated="2005-04-18T12:05:51"> <Checklist> <ID>1</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>2</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>3</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>4</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> </dataroot> This is what I need each entry to be as a single file: <?xml version="1.0" ?> <file DocType="TypeName" DocTitle="TITLE:testing 123" DocDesc="TITLE:testing 123"> <section name=...

XML to XML Transformation

XML Schema to validate against XML encryption
Hello, I'm trying to write a XML Schema to validate against a XML file which holds an element which contains either a plaint text password or a XML encryption element. A plain text example is: <Password>mySecret</Password> or a XML encrypted element: <Password> <EncryptedData xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#" Type="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#Content"> <EncryptionMethod Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#tripledes-cbc"/> <CipherData> <CipherValue>Jha8fYGDje49Tkz0=</CipherValue> </CipherData> </EncryptedData> </Password> I tried to validate against it with following XML Schema: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xenc="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#" elementFormDefault="qualified"> <xsd:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/2001/04/xmlenc#" schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xmlenc-core-20021210/xenc-schema.xsd"/> <xsd:element name="Secret"> <xsd:complexType> <xsd:sequence> <xsd:element name="EncryptedData" type="xenc:EncryptedDataType" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/> </xsd:sequence> </xsd:complexType> </xsd:element> But it fails wi...

Create Table from XML or XML Schema?
Is it possible to create tables using XML or a predefined XML Schema? I have a large data specification which includes it's XML schema. I wanted to use the schema to generate the tables that eventually will be populated and used to output the final XML document. ...

Validate XML against DTD and/or XML Schema?
Hi folks, I have a need to validate XML files against both DTDs and XML Schema from the command line. In an ideal world, I'd be able to do something like: $ python validate.py foo.xml which would then parse and validate foo.xml using the schema or DTD referenced within it. What I'm looking for is the contents of validate.py. A Python solution isn't essential, but I like Python and I'm doing some other light XML stuff in Python, so I'd prefer it. I did some Googling, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the quantity and variety of stuff I found, and I found a lot of s...

Web resources about - Example of an XML document with an inline xml schema - comp.text.xml

Killian documents controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The provider of the documents, Lt. Col. Bill Burkett , claims to have burned the originals after faxing copies to CBS. CBS News producer Mary ...

Secret documents reveal passionate affair
THIS is certainly not your typical love story. It is one full of betrayal, a love child and murder.

Islamic State document leak: Australian among suicide bomber applicants
... mass leak of Islamic State membership forms could help counter-terror authorities. Sky's chief correspondent Stuart Ramsey said the documents ...

Islamic State document leak: Australian computer engineer identified on list of volunteer suicide bombers ...
An Australian would-be suicide bomber is among tens of thousands of Islamic State jihadists whose details have been leaked by a disgruntled former ...

Discuss the Office documents you share Skype comes to OneDrive
... and now there is another instance of the technology being leveraged. Skype is now being rolled into Office Online so when you share a document ...

Microsoft, Amazon file legal document in support of Apple's FBI fight
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) and Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) are among technology industry powerhouses that this week filed a legal document in support ...

3 amendments that resulted in bank rally - Business Standard News New Document Widgets Magazine Widgets ...
More than the Budget announcement, it took an action from the central bank to revive the markets. Equity markets ended on a negative note on ...

Documents reveal what Trump actually said about his university
Republican front-runner's critics say the next 10 days are key to stopping him, and they're betting Trump University is their best weapon

ISIS document leak purportedly reveals recruits' identities, details
CNN International ISIS document leak purportedly reveals recruits' identities, details CNN International Syrian pro-government forces gather ...

ISIS: Leaked documents reveal fighters' preferences - CNN.com
Leaked ISIS documents shows details of foreign recruits like their nationalities, jihadi experience, blood types and willingness to be suicide ...