HELP-How does Apache server passes an XML document to a CGI?

I am trying to setup an Apache web server to accept XML document and
use a CGI to process the content of the XML file. My questions are:

* When a client performs a POST to the server; assume that the content
of the post is an XML file, where does Apache place the file?
* How do I setup Apache so that when it receives an XML file, it will
invoke a particular CGI so that the XML file can be consumed?
* Is there a way to configure Apache so that it does NOT use disk
space to store the received XML file, instead, keep it in memory and
pass it to my XML file?

Thanks for any lead.

Terry Jones wrote:

> I am trying to setup an Apache web server to accept XML document and
> use a CGI to process the content of the XML file. My questions are:
>
> * When a client performs a POST to the server; assume that the content
> of the post is an XML file, where does Apache place the file?

I don't think Apache places the body of an HTTP POST request anywhere,
if you POST data to whatever.php for instance then your PHP script is
called by Apache and it is then up to the PHP script to process the
request body (for instance in PHP 5 by reading the stream php://input).

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
Terry Jones wrote:

> I am trying to setup an Apache web server to accept XML document and
> use a CGI to process the content of the XML file. My questions are:
>
> * When a client performs a POST to the server; assume that the content
> of the post is an XML file, where does Apache place the file?

It doesn't (or rather, it may do some temporary invisible store-to-disk,
but not anywhere you can get at it externally). What happens is that the
file arrives as a MIME message-part in the POST. Think of it as roughly
equivalent to an email attachment. The job of your script is to handle
it and *then* do something with it (which may include saving to disk).

> * How do I setup Apache so that when it receives an XML file, it will
> invoke a particular CGI so that the XML file can be consumed?

It's the other way round: it's your script that does the receiving in
the first place. Google for cgi file upload to find some code.

> * Is there a way to configure Apache so that it does NOT use disk
> space to store the received XML file, instead, keep it in memory and
> pass it to my XML file?

That's in effect what it does.

///Peter
&;top"

0
Peter
3/23/2005 10:42:00 PM
Peter Flynn wrote:
> Terry Jones wrote:
>

>>I am trying to setup an Apache web server to accept XML document and
>>use a CGI to process the content of the XML file. My questions are:
>>
>>* When a client performs a POST to the server; assume that the content
>>of the post is an XML file, where does Apache place the file?
>

> It doesn't (or rather, it may do some temporary invisible store-to-disk,
> but not anywhere you can get at it externally).

Apache doesn't, unless you tell it to.  But if the XML is a file upload,
then CGI libraries typically put them in a tempfile, as CGI doesn't do
asynchronous input.  If the OP wants to avoid tempfiles, then he'll
have to RTFM for his CGI library (and make sure file uploads are
limited to a size he can buffer in memory without DOSing himself).

--
Nick Kew
0

Help on including one XML document within another XML document using XML Schemas
Hi I would like to specify an XML schema that would allow an XML document to be included within another XML document. The following example schema gives an idea of what we're trying to achieve ServiceResponse.xsd -------------------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="serviceResponse" type="ServiceResponse"/> <xs:complexType name="ServiceResponse"> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="anXMLDocument" type="xs:string"/> <xs:element name="someOtherData" type="xs:string"/> </xs:sequence> </xs:complexType> </xs:schema> The element anXMLDocument would contain an XML data string that would be parsed against a different XML Schema. The identity of the XML Schema for parsing anXMLDocument is not known at the time the ServiceResponse XML is parsed. Previously when we used DTDs we used inline CDATA wrappers around the contained XML document to avoid it being parsed. Can we still continue to use inline CDATA wrappers around the XML data when we parse against XML schemas? I've tried looking into the XML Schema specs but the mention of CDATA seems a bit sparse and doesn't seem to answer the question. If we can't use an inline CDATA wrapper i...

Help with passing xml tags within an xml file
Let's say I have the following tags in an xml: <World> <Country>Canada</Country> <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere> <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow"> <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py Canada North snow</CommandAction> </Weather> </World> The CommandAction tag will invoke some python script which takes Country Hemisphere and forecast as parameters. Is there a way to generalize the CommandAction tag so that it can look something like the following: <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py <Country> <Hemisphere> <forecast></CommandAction> I'm not very experienced with xml and I would like to know if the above is a proper way of doing what I want. Any help please? Thanks Thierry Thierry wrote: > Let's say I have the following tags in an xml: > > > <World> > <Country>Canada</Country> > <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere> > <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow"> > <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py Canada North > snow</CommandAction> > </Weather> > </World> > > The CommandAction tag will invoke some python script which takes > Country Hemisphere and forecast as parameters. Is there a way to > generalize the CommandAction tag so that it can look something like the > following: &g...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

Refer to an XML document from within an XML document
Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML document? How do I do this? TIA, - Manish Manish Hatwalne wrote: > Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML > document? How do I do this? XLink: http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/ XPointer framework: http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/ http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-element/ XInclude: http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/ Check out yourself which of them comes close to what you understand "reference an XML document" to do. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ ...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

XML to XML newbee help

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format
I'm migrating data into a content management system and in order to use the import tool provided I need to change the format of a large xml file and convert each entry to a seperate xml file. This is what I have now: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <dataroot xmlns:od="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:officedata" generated="2005-04-18T12:05:51"> <Checklist> <ID>1</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>2</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>3</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>4</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> </dataroot> This is what I need each entry to be as a single file: <?xml version="1.0" ?> <file DocType="TypeName" DocTitle="TITLE:testing 123" DocDesc="TITLE:testing 123"> <section name=...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format #2
[...]

no tags in my xml-to-xml transformation, help....
my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just text like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and still there are no xml tags in the output. Has anyone seen this before? Any help much appreciated.... Yannick yannicklaclau wrote: > my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just > text like this: > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... > > I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no > match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. > > But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and > still there are no xml tags in the output. > > Has anyone seen this before? We do not need to guess, try to reduce to the minimum necessary to show the problem, then post the relevant XML and XSLT here, and tell us which XSLT processor you use. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ Ok, false alarm. As I suspected, it was a newbie issue. In case anyone else has this problem, the solution is to use copy-of instead of value-of. Pretty self-explanatory: value-of will output the va...

passing xml documents
we are currently using D3 on unix (aix). we've been presented a b2b opportunity that would involve the passing of xml documents. passing documents from D3 to unix seems reasonable but, being a rookie with D3, don't quite understand how to get the docs from unix into D3. any insights much appreciated... thanks! danny On Aug 14, 10:56=A0am, drdanny <drdanny2...@gmail.com> wrote: > we are currently using D3 on unix (aix). =A0we've been presented a b2b > opportunity that would involve the passing of xml documents. =A0passing > documents from D3 to unix seems reasonable but, being a rookie with > D3, don't quite understand how to get the docs from unix into D3. =A0any > insights much appreciated... > > thanks! > > danny You could put them into a unix directory. Then on the D3 side, create an item in your md that is a qpointer Attribute 1 will be a q and attribute 3 will be the path to the unix directory. That will then treat the unix directory like it is a pick file and then you can get the documents. Eugene On Aug 14, 10:56=A0am, drdanny <drdanny2...@gmail.com> wrote: > we are currently using D3 on unix (aix). =A0we've been presented a b2b > opportunity that would involve the passing of xml documents. =A0passing > documents from D3 to unix seems reasonable but, being a rookie with > D3, don't quite understand how to get the docs from unix into D3. =A0any > insi...

Validating parsed XML document against XML-schema
*PROBLEM: how to validate parsed XML document against (parsed) XML-schema. *IN: XML document as org.w3c.dom.Document, XML-schema as stream *OUT: information if document is valid against schema. If document is not valid DETAILED information about ALL errors (especially: node that caused problem). *Additional information: - validation is performed quite often, - XML-document object is changed quite often, - XML-Schema is fixed. - XML-document doesn't contain information about related XML-schema (attr xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation) - XML-Sche...

Merging XML documents into a single XML file
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? Many thanks, Danny Knights daniel.knights@sunderland.ac.uk schreef: > Hello, > > I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am > having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml > file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then > using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! > Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? > > Many thanks, > > Danny Knights > You could create an .xsl file which loads teh documents in variables! Take a xsl tutorial, and i'm sure you will succeed daniel.knights@sunderland.ac.uk wrote: > Hello, > > I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am > having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml > file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then > using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! > Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? > > Many thanks, > > Danny Knights > Have the RefleX ! There is an example here : ht...

Example of an XML document with an inline xml schema
Hi All, I'm looking for a little example of an xml document which is validated using an inline xml schema. I'm a bit of a newbie, and I'm finding this to be a bit of a mind bender, so an example or some pointers which show me how to achieve this would be much appreciated. I look forward to any help or advice any one can offer. Naran Here's a trivial example <arbitrarytag xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="#local"> <xs:schema id="local"> <xs:element name="root" type="xs:integer"/> </xs:schema> <root>35a</root> </arbitrarytag> At least XSV [1] will process this in the desired way. ht [1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xsv-status.html -- Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh Half-time member of W3C Team 2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440 Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/ [mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is forged spam] http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxmlnet/html/inlschma.asp -- Stan Kitsis Program Manager, XML Technologies Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

q) XML Schema and valid XML documents
Wikipedia provides the following definition for valid XML document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML): it contains a reference to a Document Type Definition (DTD), and that its elements and attributes are declared in that DTD and follow the grammatical rules for them that the DTD specifies. There is no reference to XML Schema in the above defintion. I am presuming that this is a dated definition for valid XML document and that an XML document that has an XML Schema associated with it is also a valid XML document. Kindly confirm. Thanks, Ramesh In article &l...

XML documentation stinks
I'm sure this must be a PEP, but could someone look at the PyXML documentation? I'm trying to evaluate XML on Python (to eventually use it with XML-RPC) as apposed to Perl. The problem is, I can't find a simple demo or documentation that just says how to create a parser object, and call the start/char/end event handlers. With Perl's XML::Parser, it's that simple, you overload a start/char/end handler that gets called for every element, then you just create a hash of the data or whatever you want. Most of the sites I Googled don't even exist anymore or have either in...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

XML Newbie Alert! FOR XML EXPLICIT help please
Apologies for the newbie question. I have read and re-read about FOR XML EXPLICIT and now my head hurts! This is an example of the XML I am trying to form from a very simple SQL table: <Record> <RecordHeader> <HeaderData>HeaderStuff</HeaderData> <HeaderData2>HeaderStuff</HeaderData2> </RecordHeader> <RecordBody> <Body Data>BodyStuff</BodyData> <Body Data2>BodyStuff</BodyData2> </RecordBody> </Record> <Record> <RecordHeader> <HeaderData>HeaderStuff</HeaderData> <HeaderData2>HeaderStuff</HeaderData2> </RecordHeader> <RecordBody> <Body Data>BodyStuff</BodyData> <Body Data2>BodyStuff</BodyData2> </RecordBody> </Record> I have tried many variants of: select 1 as tag, NULL as parent, HeaderStuff AS [RecordHeader!1!HeaderData! element], HeaderStuff2 AS [RecordHeader!1!HeaderData2!element], BodyStuff [RecordBody!1!BodyData!element],BodyStuff2 [RecordBody!1! BodyData2!element] FROM tbl_test FOR XML EXPLICIT But am getting nowhere. I realise I am redeclaring XML tag ID1, but other variants I try are not much better!. Also, how do I get the <Record></Record> ? Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance if you can spare a minute for someone who needs help! iamaran <iamaranNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in news:Xns9734C2086A447iamaranNOSPAMhotmail@62.253.170.163: <snip> So now I'm doin...

When to use server.xml or web.xml to define my webapp...
I'm having trouble really grokking the way Tomcat handles deployment of webapps. It seems that there are two ways to define your webapps. First, in server.xml, I can make Context elements inside of my Host elements. There, I can specify the url path to tie into, the docBase, the workDir, whether it's reloadable, and, I think, whether to autoDeploy wars. Or, I've found that I can just put my webapps (with a web.xml in the WEB-INF dir) in Tomcat's default webapps directory and they get automatically deployed to a url path matching the directory. Are these two pretty much inter...

Help with Querying XML Document
Hello All, The xml document below describes the contents of a folder in a Document Managment System. I need to retrieve the DocId for the most recently added (<Add_Date>) spreadsheet file(<name> ends with ".XLS"). As a newbie to XML, XSL and XPATH, I wanted to bounce some ideas off the more experienced folks in this group. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <FolderDetails xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://tempuri.org/"> <Docs> <DocumentDetails> <Name>EIU.xls</Name> <Version>1</Version> <Add_Date>10/8/2003 3:41:51 PM</Add_Date> <DocType>E</DocType> <DocId>15607779</DocId> </DocumentDetails> <DocumentDetails> <Name>MAKE.xls</Name> <Version>1</Version> <Add_Date>10/17/2003 8:22:43 AM</Add_Date> <DocType>E</DocType> <DocId>15608338</DocId> </DocumentDetails> </Docs> </FolderDetails> My first thought was to transform this XML into another XML which is sorted on Add_date (descending order) and then pick the very first occurance of docId. But there does not seem to be a direct way to sort on a date value. I know this is an awfully inadequate explanation of what I am attempting to do. But I am asking for ...

Web resources about - HELP-How does Apache server passes an XML document to a CGI? - comp.text.xml

Cousins: 'I'm an ugly dude, can't help how my face looks' - CSN Bay Area
... A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Cousins on intimidation: 'I'm an ugly dude, can't help how ... ...

My mortgage story: 'How Help to Buy has helped me' - Telegraph
The Help to Buy mortgage guarantee scheme was introduced a year ago. We meet three sets of buyers - some who have benefited, and some who haven't ...

How's the beef? Dish.fm helps diners navigate the menu
MOSCOW – What to eat? Launching this week is Dish.fm, a iOS and mobile web app that helps diners navigate the menu. “People chose a restaurant ...

How Help to Buy helped to fuel London's property bubble
Help to Buy has been used as a marketing ploy to encourage international flows into London residential property, according to UBS economists ...