Help with passing xml tags within an xml file

Let's say I have the following tags in an xml:

<World>
    <Country>Canada</Country>
    <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere>
    <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow">
        <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py Canada North
snow</CommandAction>
    </Weather>
</World>

The CommandAction tag will invoke some python script which takes
Country Hemisphere and forecast as parameters.  Is there a way to
generalize the CommandAction tag so that it can look something like the
following:

<CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py <Country> <Hemisphere>
<forecast></CommandAction>

I'm not very experienced with xml and I would like to know if the above
is a proper way of doing what I want. Any help please?

Thanks
Thierry

0
lamthierry (65)

Thierry wrote:
> Let's say I have the following tags in an xml:
>

> <World>
>     <Country>Canada</Country>
>     <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere>
>     <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow">
>         <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py Canada North
> snow</CommandAction>
>     </Weather>
> </World>
>
> The CommandAction tag will invoke some python script which takes
> Country Hemisphere and forecast as parameters.  Is there a way to
> generalize the CommandAction tag so that it can look something like the
> following:
>
> <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py <Country> <Hemisphere>
> <forecast></CommandAction>
>
> I'm not very experienced with xml and I would like to know if the above
> is a proper way of doing what I want. Any help please?

A more manipulable construction might look something like:

<World>
     <Country>Canada</Country>
     <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere>
     <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow">
         <CommandAction location="home">
             <script>calculate.py</script>
             <param value="Country"/>
             <param value="Hemisphere"/>
             <param value="Weather/@forecast"/>
         </CommandAction>
     </Weather>
</World>

Then you can write some XSLT to create output which some processor
(Python) can execute. XML itself can't run programs, because it is
not itself a programming language.

(In fact, you'd need to write XSLT to write XSLT. The double
indirection is needed because XSLT is not dynamic and cannot re-rig
itself internally during execution to reflect a value it has only
just come across (like the XPath syntax implied in my <param>
elements.)

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
0
Peter Flynn wrote:
> Thierry wrote:
>
>> Let's say I have the following tags in an xml:
>>

>> <World>
>>     <Country>Canada</Country>
>>     <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere>
>>     <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow">
>>         <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py Canada North
>> snow</CommandAction>
>>     </Weather>
>> </World>
>>
>> The CommandAction tag will invoke some python script which takes
>> Country Hemisphere and forecast as parameters.  Is there a way to
>> generalize the CommandAction tag so that it can look something like the
>> following:
>>
>> <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py <Country> <Hemisphere>
>> <forecast></CommandAction>
>>
>> I'm not very experienced with xml and I would like to know if the above
>> is a proper way of doing what I want. Any help please?
>

> A more manipulable construction might look something like:
>
> <World>
>     <Country>Canada</Country>
>     <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere>
>     <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow">
>         <CommandAction location="home">
>             <script>calculate.py</script>
>             <param value="Country"/>
>             <param value="Hemisphere"/>
>             <param value="Weather/@forecast"/>
>         </CommandAction>
>     </Weather>
> </World>
>
> Then you can write some XSLT to create output which some processor
> (Python) can execute. XML itself can't run programs, because it is
> not itself a programming language.

XML is used for anything, it can be used like a programming language as well

-don't you think that XSLT is itself a kind of programming language ?
(it reads an input, processes it, and produces an output, even if the
input must be XML)

-I designed myself a general purpose language :)
have a look here :
http://disc.inria.fr/perso/philippe.poulard/xml/active-tags/
and here :
http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/
(this is the engine that implement all that stuff)

a nice toy ;)

--
Cordialement,

               ///
              (. .)
  --------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------
|      Philippe Poulard       |
  -----------------------------
  http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/
        Have the RefleX !
Philippe Poulard wrote:
> XML is used for anything, it can be used like a programming language as
> well

Not exactly. XML itself is pure syntax. You can use that syntax to
express any kind of data, including program stucture. Think of XML as a
toolkit for writing languages.

> -don't you think that XSLT is itself a kind of programming language ?

XSLT is very explicitly a nonprocedural rule-based programming language.

Joseph Kesselman wrote:
> Philippe Poulard wrote:
>
>> XML is used for anything, it can be used like a programming language
>> as well
>

> Not exactly. XML itself is pure syntax. You can use that syntax to
> express any kind of data, including program stucture. Think of XML as a
> toolkit for writing languages.

This is exactly what I meant

>> -don't you think that XSLT is itself a kind of programming language ?
>

> XSLT is very explicitly a nonprocedural rule-based programming language.

You said it ;)

No comment about Active Tags ?

--
Cordialement,

               ///
              (. .)
  --------ooO--(_)--Ooo--------
|      Philippe Poulard       |
  -----------------------------
  http://reflex.gforge.inria.fr/
        Have the RefleX !
Philippe Poulard wrote:
> Peter Flynn wrote:
[...]
 >> XML itself can't run programs, because it is
>> not itself a programming language.
>
> XML is used for anything, it can be used like a programming language as
> well

Read what I wrote. Yes of course XML syntax can be used to represent
programming language constructs -- as you say, XSLT is a programming
language -- but XML *itself* is not a programming language: it's just
a specification for a markup syntax that can be used to identify lots
of different things.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
0

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

Help on including one XML document within another XML document using XML Schemas
Hi I would like to specify an XML schema that would allow an XML document to be included within another XML document. The following example schema gives an idea of what we're trying to achieve ServiceResponse.xsd -------------------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="serviceResponse" type="ServiceResponse"/> <xs:complexType name="ServiceResponse"> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="anXMLDocument" type="xs:string"/> <xs:element name="someOtherData" type="xs:string"/> </xs:sequence> </xs:complexType> </xs:schema> The element anXMLDocument would contain an XML data string that would be parsed against a different XML Schema. The identity of the XML Schema for parsing anXMLDocument is not known at the time the ServiceResponse XML is parsed. Previously when we used DTDs we used inline CDATA wrappers around the contained XML document to avoid it being parsed. Can we still continue to use inline CDATA wrappers around the XML data when we parse against XML schemas? I've tried looking into the XML Schema specs but the mention of CDATA seems a bit sparse and doesn't seem to answer the question. If we can't use an inline CDATA wrapper i...

no tags in my xml-to-xml transformation, help....
my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just text like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and still there are no xml tags in the output. Has anyone seen this before? Any help much appreciated.... Yannick yannicklaclau wrote: > my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just > text like this: > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... > > I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no > match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. > > But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and > still there are no xml tags in the output. > > Has anyone seen this before? We do not need to guess, try to reduce to the minimum necessary to show the problem, then post the relevant XML and XSLT here, and tell us which XSLT processor you use. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ Ok, false alarm. As I suspected, it was a newbie issue. In case anyone else has this problem, the solution is to use copy-of instead of value-of. Pretty self-explanatory: value-of will output the va...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

Problem to insert an XML-element by XSLT-converting from one XML-file into another XML-file

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

UPnP xml file to WSDL xml file

XML to XML newbee help

dealing with nested xml within nested xml within......

How to Split a XML file to multiple small XML Files
How to Split a XML file to multiple small XML Files Hello, I am trying to split a XML file to multiple small xml files in vb.net and am trying to get the best possible approach to this. Any help on this will be great... Sample example on what I am trying to do... Thanks Kumu Source XML document -------------------------- <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <SynchronizationObjectsDocument > <ApplicationArea> <DocId>dea9593b-4c60-4c1a-ab7f-004a4e336ac5</DocId> <CreationDateTime>2004-05-13T21:31:48-04:00</CreationDateTime> </ApplicationArea> <Data> <V_CLI_CLIENTS> <V_CLI_CLIENT> <ORU_CODE>CLIENT1</ORU_CODE> </V_CLI_CLIENT> <V_CLI_CLIENT> <ORU_CODE>CLIENT2</ORU_CODE> </V_CLI_CLIENT> </V_CLI_CLIENTS> </Data> </SynchronizationObjectsDocument> Should split to two xml documents as below -------------------------------------------------- <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?> <SynchronizationObjectsDocument > <ApplicationArea> <DocId>dea9593b-4c60-4c1a-ab7f-004a4e336ac5</DocId> <CreationDateTime>2004-05-13T21:31:48-04:00</CreationDateTime> </ApplicationArea> <Data> <V_CLI_CLIENTS> <V_CLI_CLIENT> <ORU_CODE>CLIENT1</ORU_CODE> </V_CLI_CLIENT> </V_CLI_CLIENTS> </Data> </SynchronizationObjectsDocument> <?xml versio...

including one XML file in another XML file

XML to XML conversion

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

appending a new xml file to another existing xml file
Hei, I am having issue using DOM to appending a new xml file (new.xml) to another existing xml file (old.xml) without deleting the existing items in old.xml. I would like to have the new <items> append at the end of existing items at the old.xml. How can I do that? I am using php5 Thanks! Ofuuzo On Feb 18, 9:30 am, ofuu...@yahoo.no wrote: > Hei, > I am having issue using DOM to appending a new xml file (new.xml) to > another existing xml file (old.xml) without deleting the existing > items in old.xml. I would like to have the new <items> append at the > end of e...

tool to validate xml file against custom XML Schema file
Hello all, does anyone know of a tool, preferably free, preferably on linux, which will take an xml file and validate it against your own custom W3C XML Schema file (.xsd) ?? All help appreciated - it's proving very difficult to find. Failing that, does anyone know how to get the W3C's own online validating engine (XSV, I think it's called) to do the same job? I can't get it to do what I want and I can't really understand the output. Many thanks in advance.... In article <XLqdnc53ib1uvx3cRVn-1w@rogers.com>, Leona <leonalu@rogers.com> wrote: % does anyone know of a tool, preferably free, preferably on linux, which will % take an xml file and validate it against your own custom W3C XML Schema file % (.xsd) ?? How about xmllint from libxml? % All help appreciated - it's proving very difficult to find. Depending on what you have on your system, look in /usr/local/bin. Failing that, try http://xmlsoft.org -- Patrick TJ McPhee East York Canada ptjm@interlog.com > does anyone know of a tool, preferably free, preferably on linux, which will > take an xml file and validate it against your own custom W3C XML Schema file You can use openjade from cmd line to do this. openjade (http://openjade.sf.net) comes with most major linux distros. type in onsgmls on the cmd line to get more info. > Failing that, does anyone know how to get the W3C's own online validating > engine (XSV, I think it's called) to do the...

XML to XML Transformation

handling xml embedded within xml
I have a log file within which is contained a dump of an xml message .... rubbish ///asd laksj aslf <nif_DEBUG time="Fri, 16 May 2008 13:40:17, 330"> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <ns> <PDQ Lang="fr-FR" ID="XM;1928">content</PDQ> </ns> </nif_DEBUG> ... more junk .... then more xml """) This example is of course a summary. I want to write a streaming filter which will throw out all the junk and just return a series of nice strings of each complete xml message. Ideally I als...

Should the webserver add "Content-Type: text/xml header" to the requested XML file?
I've been informed that a webserver sending a XML file is supposed to add "Content-Type: text/xml header". I'm not questioning that infromation but i'm unsure what was ment by it. The XML i get on my screen when i type in the url to it looks as follows. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tag-uno>uno</tag-uno> <tag-duo>duo</tag-duo> I can't see any line containing "text/xml" but perhaps it's not supposed to show in the requested file. Please advise. -- Regards Konrad Viltersten ---------------...

Web resources about - Help with passing xml tags within an xml file - comp.text.xml

Pasing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pasing is located west of the Munich city centre, at the north-western edge of the city's innermost traffic zone. The district is mainly residential; ...

Facebook Gets Passing Grade From Irish Agency Audit - AllFacebook
Facebook received its report card in the form of a detailed audit by the Office of the Irish Data Protection Commissioner, and its grades were ...

Ubisoft - We are saddened to learn of Tom Clancy’s passing... - Facebook
We are saddened to learn of Tom Clancy’s passing and our condolences go out to his family. Tom Clancy was an extraordinary author with a gift ...

The Repubs are tempting fate, trying to allocate blame for Obama's loss in November. Obviously it's a little presumptuous. If Romney wins, it's ...

Scripting News: People are asking about the history of RSS today because of Aaron's passing.
People are asking about the history of RSS today because of Aaron's passing. In April 2004 I put together a timeline of the various specs that ...

AfroCat ◆ Cute and free pet game ◆ Perfect for passing the time! on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about AfroCat ◆ Cute and free pet game ◆ Perfect for passing the time!. ...

walmart donated a palette of water. everyone was great about passing the bottles back
Explore pinguino's photos on Flickr. pinguino has uploaded 16442 photos to Flickr.

NASA - Massive Black Hole Shreds Passing Star - YouTube
This artist’s rendering illustrates new findings about a star shredded by a black hole. When a star wanders too close to a black hole, intense ...

UAE remembers Zayed 10 years after his passing
Several activities will be taking place on Ramadan 19th marking the 10th anniversary of Sheikh Zayed’s passing.

New NSW cycling fines and metre passing laws: what you need to know for March 1
Drivers will be allowed to cross centre dividing lines when overtaking cyclists - so long as it's safe.