Help with transforming XML document

Hi,
I need help with transforming XML document.

I generate xml document from query using Oracle XSU (DBMS_XMLQUERY)
and the document I get is like this:

<?xml version = '1.0' encoding = 'ISO-8859-1'?>
<MultiPAT>
   <PAT>
      <numreferencia>000000000000</numreferencia>
      <tipo>1</tipo>
      <trabajador>
         <trabajador_row num="1">
            <apellido>Rius</apellido>
            <nombre>Jaume</nombre>
            <naf null="YES"/>
            <antiguedad>
               <antiguedad_row num="1">
                  <meses>15</meses>
                  <dias>0</dias>
               </antiguedad_row>
            </antiguedad>
            <atep null="YES"/>
            <domicilio>CL.Barcelona, 27</domicilio>
            <telefono null="YES"/>
          </trabajador_row>
      </trabajador>
   </PAT>
</MultiPAT>

The problem is that the tags like <trabajador_row num="1"> are
redundant and  I'd also like to eliminate attributes null="YES" (that
can be found within empty tags).
I'd like to get something like this:

<?xml version = '1.0' encoding = 'ISO-8859-1'?>
<MultiPAT>
   <PAT>
      <numreferencia>000000000000</numreferencia>
      <tipo>1</tipo>
      <trabajador>
         <apellido>Rius</apellido>
         <nombre>Jaume</nombre>
         <naf/>
         <antiguedad>
            <meses>15</meses>
            <dias>0</dias>
         </antiguedad>
         <atep/>
         <domicilio>CL.Barcelona, 27</domicilio>
         <telefono/>
      </trabajador>
   </PAT>
</MultiPAT>

Any ideas how to do transformation?

Thanks!
0
mime49 (2)

In article <a667350c.0311062343.1a0da45c@posting.google.com>,
Mirjana Rakuljic <mime49@yahoo.com> wrote:

% I need help with transforming XML document.

[very clear description of problem elided]

%       <trabajador>
%          <trabajador_row num="1">

[...]

% The problem is that the tags like <trabajador_row num="1"> are
% redundant and  I'd also like to eliminate attributes null="YES" (that
% can be found within empty tags).

[...]

% Any ideas how to do transformation?

Build the transformation around the so-called `identity transform'.

 <xsl:transform match="node()|@*">
    <xsl:copy>
    <xsl:copy>
 </xsl:transform>

This matches every node and every attribute node. The attribute nodes
have to be specified separately because the attribute axis isn't
searched by default.

You then specify transformations for the specific nodes you want to
handle specially. Because of the nature of the pattern match, the
identity transform is assigned a lower priority than a more specific
transform.

 <xsl:transform match="trabajador/trabajador_row">
    <xsl:apply-templates select="node()"/>
 </xsl:transform>

That will copy the non-attribute children of trabajador_row, without
copying the trabajador_row element. I leave out the attributes because
you don't seem to like them, but you could put more detailed selection
criteria in place if you need more specific selection criteria on the
attribute side. If you have a lot of data and prepared to forget about
your null='yes' requirement, you could replace `apply-templates'
with `copy-of', which is likely to be a bit faster.

It's worth learning about xpath, incidentally. For one thing, you
really need to know about it if you want to use xslt, and for another,
it's fairly well-designed, and the spec is relatively well-written, so
you don't have to invest too much effort on it.

To get rid of the null="yes" attributes, you could do this:

 <xsl:transform match="*[@null='YES']">
    <xsl:copy/>
 </xsl:transform>

since they're always empty, there's no need to apply any further templates.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Help on including one XML document within another XML document using XML Schemas
Hi I would like to specify an XML schema that would allow an XML document to be included within another XML document. The following example schema gives an idea of what we're trying to achieve ServiceResponse.xsd -------------------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="serviceResponse" type="ServiceResponse"/> <xs:complexType name="ServiceResponse"> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="anXMLDocument" type="xs:string"/> <xs:element name="someOtherData" type="xs:string"/> </xs:sequence> </xs:complexType> </xs:schema> The element anXMLDocument would contain an XML data string that would be parsed against a different XML Schema. The identity of the XML Schema for parsing anXMLDocument is not known at the time the ServiceResponse XML is parsed. Previously when we used DTDs we used inline CDATA wrappers around the contained XML document to avoid it being parsed. Can we still continue to use inline CDATA wrappers around the XML data when we parse against XML schemas? I've tried looking into the XML Schema specs but the mention of CDATA seems a bit sparse and doesn't seem to answer the question. If we can't use an inline CDATA wrapper i...

no tags in my xml-to-xml transformation, help....
my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just text like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and still there are no xml tags in the output. Has anyone seen this before? Any help much appreciated.... Yannick yannicklaclau wrote: > my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just > text like this: > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... > > I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no > match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. > > But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and > still there are no xml tags in the output. > > Has anyone seen this before? We do not need to guess, try to reduce to the minimum necessary to show the problem, then post the relevant XML and XSLT here, and tell us which XSLT processor you use. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ Ok, false alarm. As I suspected, it was a newbie issue. In case anyone else has this problem, the solution is to use copy-of instead of value-of. Pretty self-explanatory: value-of will output the va...

XML to XML Transformation

Refer to an XML document from within an XML document
Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML document? How do I do this? TIA, - Manish Manish Hatwalne wrote: > Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML > document? How do I do this? XLink: http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/ XPointer framework: http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/ http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-element/ XInclude: http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/ Check out yourself which of them comes close to what you understand "reference an XML document" to do. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ ...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

questions and recommend books about refactoring of xml-schematas and the transformation of xml-documents
Hello everybody :-) Next year I`ll write my diploma in computer science for business (It`s a degree in Germany) and I`ve some questions about the topic. The diploma will handle about refactoring of xml-schemes and a transformation of all instances (the xml-documents) with XSLT-scripts. The idea of the diploma is, that in nearly every company xml schemes are used. And (like Heraklit said "Panta rhei" - everthing is flowing) the business processes in companys could be changed. If an xml- scheme has to be changed (refactored), what to do with all instances of these schemes? Is it possible to create an XSLT-script that transforms all instances of the old scheme into instances of the new, refactored scheme? The diploma will handle about questions like what information you need for the transformation, what operations are possible for the transformation, etc. A simple example is to refactor an xml scheme with one element and to transform an attribute of the element A to a different element in the content on the first position of the element A. I`ll write the diploma next year and all questions are only an investigation on the topic. Can anybody recommend some good books about the refactoring of something like this? I`ve read the book "XML in a Nutshell" and "Refactoring" (Martin Fowler), but I couldn`t find any information about this. What do you think about the topic? Do you see there any big problems ? I pondered about the topic the last weeks an...

XML to XML newbee help

Xml to Xml transform problem

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format
I'm migrating data into a content management system and in order to use the import tool provided I need to change the format of a large xml file and convert each entry to a seperate xml file. This is what I have now: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <dataroot xmlns:od="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:officedata" generated="2005-04-18T12:05:51"> <Checklist> <ID>1</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>2</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>3</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>4</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> </dataroot> This is what I need each entry to be as a single file: <?xml version="1.0" ?> <file DocType="TypeName" DocTitle="TITLE:testing 123" DocDesc="TITLE:testing 123"> <section name=...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

Help with SAXSource and javax.xml.transform.Transformer
Hi! I fail to catch events when transforming xml. I have some code that successfully transforms an xml ... code ... // Setup XSL transformer TransformerFactory tFactory = TransformerFactory.newInstance(); Transformer transformer = tFactory.newTransformer(xslStreamSource); // Setup XML result ByteArrayOutputStream baos = new ByteArrayOutputStream(); BufferedOutputStream bos = new BufferedOutputStream(baos); StreamResult transformResult = new StreamResult(bos); // Do the transform StreamSource ss = new StreamSource(source); transformer.transform(ss, transformResult); ...

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format #2
[...]

Transform XML to XML using XSLT
hello all, seems like a simple issue, but having tried several approaches with no success I am posting this question, I have a XML in one format, I want to now convert into another XML format using XSLT. FirstType.XML: (In this XML the States sub elements appear within USA element) ------------------------------------------------ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <ROOT> <Country> <USA> <State> <City1>6000</City1> <City2>100</City2> <City3> </City3> </State> <State> <City1>1000</City1> <City2>10</City2> <City3>2</City3> </State> </USA> </Country> </ROOT> ------------------------------------------------ DestinationXML: (I want the above XML to appear this way, note the element <Type> is something I want to add - and is not in the originial XML) ------------------------------------------------ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Region> <Area> <Type> Original </Type> <City1>6000</City1> <City2>100</City2> </Area> <Area> <Type> Original </Type> <City1>1000</City1> <City2>10</City2> </Area> &l...

Validating parsed XML document against XML-schema
*PROBLEM: how to validate parsed XML document against (parsed) XML-schema. *IN: XML document as org.w3c.dom.Document, XML-schema as stream *OUT: information if document is valid against schema. If document is not valid DETAILED information about ALL errors (especially: node that caused problem). *Additional information: - validation is performed quite often, - XML-document object is changed quite often, - XML-Schema is fixed. - XML-document doesn't contain information about related XML-schema (attr xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation) - XML-Sche...

q) XML Schema and valid XML documents
Wikipedia provides the following definition for valid XML document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML): it contains a reference to a Document Type Definition (DTD), and that its elements and attributes are declared in that DTD and follow the grammatical rules for them that the DTD specifies. There is no reference to XML Schema in the above defintion. I am presuming that this is a dated definition for valid XML document and that an XML document that has an XML Schema associated with it is also a valid XML document. Kindly confirm. Thanks, Ramesh In article &l...

Merging XML documents into a single XML file
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? Many thanks, Danny Knights daniel.knights@sunderland.ac.uk schreef: > Hello, > > I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am > having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml > file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then > using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! > Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? > > Many thanks, > > Danny Knights > You could create an .xsl file which loads teh documents in variables! Take a xsl tutorial, and i'm sure you will succeed daniel.knights@sunderland.ac.uk wrote: > Hello, > > I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am > having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml > file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then > using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! > Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? > > Many thanks, > > Danny Knights > Have the RefleX ! There is an example here : ht...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

Example of an XML document with an inline xml schema
Hi All, I'm looking for a little example of an xml document which is validated using an inline xml schema. I'm a bit of a newbie, and I'm finding this to be a bit of a mind bender, so an example or some pointers which show me how to achieve this would be much appreciated. I look forward to any help or advice any one can offer. Naran Here's a trivial example <arbitrarytag xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="#local"> <xs:schema id="local"> <xs:element name="root" type="xs:integer"/> </xs:schema> <root>35a</root> </arbitrarytag> At least XSV [1] will process this in the desired way. ht [1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xsv-status.html -- Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh Half-time member of W3C Team 2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440 Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/ [mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is forged spam] http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxmlnet/html/inlschma.asp -- Stan Kitsis Program Manager, XML Technologies Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with...

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

Web resources about - Help with transforming XML document - comp.text.xml

Transforming growth factor beta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Loeys–Dietz syndrome , Parkinson's disease and AIDS . TGF-beta is secreted by many cell types, including macrophages, in a latent form in which ...

How Facebook Is Transforming The News
These days, news gets out at an alarming speed. We no longer have to wait for the evening news or the morning paper to find out what’s happening ...

CyberJournalist.net — News and resources about how technology is transforming the media
News and resources about how technology is transforming the media

All sizes - Transforming Your Transit to Tranquility - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

From the Ground to the Cloud: Transforming Chimpanzee Conservation with High-Tech Tools - YouTube
Watch how the Jane Goodall Institute uses mapping technology on mobile devices for forest monitoring and chimpanzee conservation. Learn more ...

How tablets and apps are transforming education
Teachers are still learning how to harness the educational potential of the thousand of apps on offer.

James Turrell is transforming National Gallery with his spectacular light installations
The James Turrell retrospective is coming to Canberra, fresh from wowing hordes of visitors to two major US museums.

YO! Home unveils its concept house, transforming your flat at the touch of a button
NOW there's no need to move out of the city with a new house that promises to turn a humble flat into a palace. The makers of YO! Sushi and YOtel ...

Transforming graffitied lanes from greater heights (02:54)
Melbourne's famous paint covered Hosier lane and Rutledge lane are being overhauled by more than 100 street artists as part of the Melbourne ...