Parsing text to XML

This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the
answer.

I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML
format.  I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much
manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML.

Is it possible to do this without writing code?  If so, what tools
would I use?

Thanks
Chris
0
cdubea (23)

"Chris Dubea" <cdubea@movingpart.com> wrote in message
> This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the
> answer.
>
> I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML
> format.  I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much
> manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML.
>
> Is it possible to do this without writing code?  If so, what tools
> would I use?

Have a look at the flat-to-XML examples in
http://servingxml.sourceforge.net/.

Regards,
Daniel Parker

0
Daniel
2/24/2006 4:10:59 AM
> Is it possible to do this without writing code?  If so, what tools
> would I use?

SOMETHING has to read the existing data and massage it into the new
format. That something may be you, if you're willing to pound on it by
hand, in which case all you need is a text editor. Or, if it's currently
in a sufficiently simple format and is going into a sufficiently simple
format, a simple pattern-match-and-replace through something like sed
might suffice.

Or, of course, you could buy code rather than writing it -- there are a
number of tools out there for "transcoding" data from other formats
to/from XML -- but I presume that isn't what you have in mind.

Basically: The question as you've posed it is FAR too vague, and the
only possible answer is "maybe". If you can be more specific, maybe
someone can help you.

--
() ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Joe Kesselman
Really gud one.

Cheeers,
karthik balaguru

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 14:15:32 -0600, Chris Dubea
<cdubea@movingpart.com> wrote:

>This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the
>answer.
>
>I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML
>format.  I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much
>manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML.
>
>Is it possible to do this without writing code?  If so, what tools
>would I use?
>
>Thanks
>Chris

Thanks to all who replied.

Chris
0
cdubea (23)

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

Parsing text with link from xml with XSLT

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

text-text

text + text

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

parsing multiple root element XML into text

Problem in parsing xml document with japanese text

How to retrieve XML CDATA text contents by org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2?
For example I have a XML tag <script> <![CDATA[ My script is here ]]> </script> I am using org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2 to parse my XML file. How do I retrieve my script contents? What shall I do in these two methods? @Override public void startElement(String uri, String localName, String qName, Attributes attributes) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { // How to retrieve my script contents? } } @Override public void endElement(String uri, String localName, String qName) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { ...

How to parse a XML doc with HTML tags within the texts

Parsing unicode (devanagari) text with xml.dom.minidom
Hello, I am trying to process an xml file that contains unicode characters (see http://vyakarnam.wordpress.com/). Wordpress allows exporting the entire content of the website into an xml file. Using xml.dom.minidom, I wrote a few lines of python code to parse out the xml file, but am stuck with the following error: >>> import xml.dom.minidom >>> dom =3D xml.dom.minidom.parse("wordpress.2009-02-19.xml") >>> titles =3D dom.getElementsByTagName("title") >>> for title in titles: .... print "childNode =3D ", title.childNodes .....

Parsing Raw filter text data using XML
Hello, I am currently having an application that gets the filtered data from the ticket register from a gas station.I use this as the input stream and use JavaCC to parse this file. For Eg, the filtered data will look like: 01/05/04 11:31 PUMP 7 REG GALLONS 10.081 @ $1.499/GAL FUEL $15.11 TOTAL $15.11 VISA $15.11 TL/NOTAX $15.11 TAX PD $0.00 RECEIPT NO. 1-0565 Currently, I am using JavaCC to write rules to say what is the order of each line that I expect and so I form a JJtree for the parsed data and use that in my java program to write the gallons of fuel, amount and payment type into database. But, I wanted to know if there is any other way of doing this. I am planning to on using XML for the purpose of parsing. But, I don't have any other clue. I would really apriciate any help in this direction. Thanks, Sreeni. ...

Should the webserver add "Content-Type: text/xml header" to the requested XML file?
I've been informed that a webserver sending a XML file is supposed to add "Content-Type: text/xml header". I'm not questioning that infromation but i'm unsure what was ment by it. The XML i get on my screen when i type in the url to it looks as follows. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tag-uno>uno</tag-uno> <tag-duo>duo</tag-duo> I can't see any line containing "text/xml" but perhaps it's not supposed to show in the requested file. Please advise. -- Regards Konrad Viltersten ---------------...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

how to Update/insert an xml element's text----> (<element> text</element>)

Sequential XML parsing with xml.sax
Hi hi. I'm trying to do sequential decompression of a bzipped XML file and feed it to a SAX parser with the following code. remotefh = urllib.urlopen('file:///home/peter/catalog.rdf.bz2') decompressor = bz2.BZ2Decompressor() handler = CatalogueDocumentHandler(sys.stdout) chunksize = 2048 data = remotefh.read(chunksize) while data != '': out = decompressor.decompress(data) if out != '': xml.sax.parseString(out, handler) data = remotefh.read(chunksize) This fails with the first chunk of decompressed data passed to xml.sax.parseString. I'm su...

parsing an inner Xml inside XML
hi, I have a requirement to parse an XML which contains another xml as a string content. I am able to parse the parent xml. when I am parsing the second xml I am getting the following exception. I have used CDATA to mark the string. And I have given the prolog inside the inner xml which under one tag in the parent XML. I tried without prolog also. RdCanL::parseCanonical::XML EXCEPTION org.apache.xmlbeans.XmlException: error: XML declaration is not well- formed at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Locale$SaxLoader.load(Locale.java: 3467) at org.apache.xmlbeans.impl.store.Locale....

XML Software Text
http://www.richworld8.blogspot.com/ ...

Text to XML conversion
I was wondering if anyone could possibly recommend to me a tool that would take .txt file and convert it to XML format. Thank you very much in advance! Oleg. Thank you very much for your answer. I didn't realize there were different XML formats out there... The text file will be somewhat structured. It will contains entries, each on a separate line. We need to convert it into an XML format, so the entries can be read into a database for one of our proprietary tools... On May 25, 3:53 pm, roy axenov <r_axe...@mail.ru> wrote: > Oleg wrote: > > I was wondering if anyone could possibly recommend to me a > > tool that would take .txt file and convert it to XML > > format. Thank you very much in advance! > > There's a wonderful tool called 'echo'. Used in tandem with > its trusty sidekick, 'cat', it can convert your text files > to XML in no time at all: > > > cat text.txt > > And enterprises of great pith and moment, > With this regard, their currents turn awry, > And lose the name of action.> echo '<text><\![CDATA[' `cat text.txt` ']]></text>' > > text.xml > > xmllint text.xml > > <?xml version="1.0"?> > <text><![CDATA[ And enterprises of great pith and moment, > With this regard, their currents turn awry, And lose the > name of action. ]]></text> > > > > Seriously though, presuming...

Web resources about - Parsing text to XML - comp.text.xml

Parsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parsing or syntactic analysis is the process of analysing a string of symbols, either in natural language or in computer languages , according ...

Parsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parsing or syntactic analysis is the process of analysing a string of symbols, either in natural language or in computer languages , according ...

Parsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parsing or syntactic analysis is the process of analysing a string of symbols , either in natural language or in computer languages , conforming ...

Parsing Parse’s worldwide growth
Parse, the app development platform Facebook purchased last April , is seeing some incredible growth worldwide. Parse CEO Ilya Sukhar recently ...

17 - 1 - Dependency Parsing Introduction-Stanford NLP-Professor Dan Jurafsky & Chris Manning - YouTube ...
If you are interest on more free online course info, welcome to: http://opencourseonline.com/ Professor Dan Jurafsky & Chris Manning are offering ...

Representative Line: JavaScript JSON Parsing
No data interchange format is perfect. ASN.1 ( Abstract Syntax Notation One ) is probably the closest (it's by far the most flexible and comprehensive), ...

Parsing the Unity Bill
The NDP is wrong on secession, the Clarity Act and the Supreme Court

Google Hangouts for Android getting smarter with natural language parsing, consolidated contacts
You've long been able to share your location with contacts in Hangouts chats, but the Google Hangouts for Android app is today getting a little ...

Parsing the difference between the Internet and the Web according to Alan Kay
Stack Exchange This Q&A is part of a weekly series of posts highlighting common questions encountered by technophiles and answered by users ...

Feature Friday: Phone Number Parsing
... I am pretty sure the former is not. I’ve talked to a few people about this and what I am told is that the Android OS has phone number parsing ...