Parsing text with link from xml with XSLT

Hi,

I have an xml document like this:

<paragraph>hello what are you doing? searching on <link url="http://
www.google.com">google</link>?</paragraph>

how can I extract data to xhtml from it so that it will be formatted
as

hello what are you doing? searching on <a href="http://
www.google.com">google</a>?

I've tried various different methods but I can't seem to combine the
text in the <paragraph> with the <link> so either I select the text:
"hello what are you doing? searching on google?" or I get the link <a
href="http://www.google.com">google</a>

Hope someone can help, thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Simon, Denmark

Simon Skov Boisen schrieb:
> I have an xml document like this:
>
> <paragraph>hello what are you doing? searching on <link url="http://
> www.google.com">google</link>?</paragraph>
>
> how can I extract data to xhtml from it so that it will be formatted
> as
>
> hello what are you doing? searching on <a href="http://
> www.google.com">google</a>?
>
> I've tried various different methods but I can't seem to combine the
> text in the <paragraph> with the <link> so either I select the text:
> "hello what are you doing? searching on google?" or I get the link <a
> href="http://www.google.com">google</a>

So you didn't try the most obvious one: xsl.apply-templates.

<xsl:template match="paragraph">
   <xsl:apply-templates/>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="link">
     <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </a>
</xsl:template>

--
Johannes Koch
                             (Te Deum, 4th cent.)
On 5 Mar., 10:09, Johannes Koch <k...@w3development.de> wrote:
> Simon Skov Boisen schrieb:
>
> > I have an xml document like this:
>
> > <paragraph>hello what are you doing? searching on <link url="http://
> >www.google.com">google</link>?</paragraph>
>
> > how can I extract data to xhtml from it so that it will be formatted
> > as
>
> > hello what are you doing? searching on <a href="http://
> >www.google.com">google</a>?
>
> > I've tried various different methods but I can't seem to combine the
> > text in the <paragraph> with the <link> so either I select the text:
> > "hello what are you doing? searching on google?" or I get the link <a
> > href="http://www.google.com">google</a>
>
> So you didn't try the most obvious one: xsl.apply-templates.
>
> <xsl:template match="paragraph">
>    <xsl:apply-templates/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="link">
>      <xsl:apply-templates/>
>    </a>
> </xsl:template>
>
> --
> Johannes Koch
> In te domine speravi; non confundar in aeternum.
>                              (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

Thanks for you help Johannes, I only recently started working with xsl
and I hadn't really been able to figure out how apply template worked,
so I hadn't tried it much.

Appriciate your help, thank you!

Simon

Parsing text to XML
This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer. I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML format. I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML. Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools would I use? Thanks =========================================================================== Chris "Chris Dubea" <cdubea@movingpart.com> wrote in message news:gr5sv1l6a3bpt6vv6cbdb1qe0vojkrcv88@4ax.com... > This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the > answer. > > I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML > format. I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much > manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML. > > Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools > would I use? > Have a look at the flat-to-XML examples in http://servingxml.sourceforge.net/. Regards, Daniel Parker > Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools > would I use? SOMETHING has to read the existing data and massage it into the new format. That something may be you, if you're willing to pound on it by hand, in which case all you need is a text editor. Or, if it's currently in a sufficiently simple format and is going into a sufficiently simple format, a simple pattern-match-and-repl...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

text-text

text + text

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and th...

Problem in parsing xml document with japanese text

parsing multiple root element XML into text

How to retrieve XML CDATA text contents by org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2?
For example I have a XML tag <script> <![CDATA[ My script is here ]]> </script> I am using org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2 to parse my XML file. How do I retrieve my script contents? What shall I do in these two methods? @Override public void startElement(String uri, String localName, String qName, Attributes attributes) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { // How to retrieve my script contents? } } @Override public void endElement(String uri, String localName, String qName) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { ...

Parsing unicode (devanagari) text with xml.dom.minidom
Hello, I am trying to process an xml file that contains unicode characters (see http://vyakarnam.wordpress.com/). Wordpress allows exporting the entire content of the website into an xml file. Using xml.dom.minidom, I wrote a few lines of python code to parse out the xml file, but am stuck with the following error: >>> import xml.dom.minidom >>> dom =3D xml.dom.minidom.parse("wordpress.2009-02-19.xml") >>> titles =3D dom.getElementsByTagName("title") >>> for title in titles: .... print "childNode =3D ", title.childNodes .....

How to parse a XML doc with HTML tags within the texts

Looking for XML rich text to HTML XSLT file
Hi, I'M still traying to convert the body a Lotus Notes memo item into the corresponding HTML representation using the Notes C API library. In the moment I'm using the DXLExport function to ceonvert a memo item in a Domino XML file. Now I'm looking for an XSLT stylesheet whcih can do this task. In the Lotus Notes forum on the IBM website someone told me that IBM self has created such an XSLT file. Today I tried to find this file on the IBM website but not very successfull. So, can someone give me the link or has someone already downloaded this file. Thanks in advance M...

Parsing Raw filter text data using XML
Hello, I am currently having an application that gets the filtered data from the ticket register from a gas station.I use this as the input stream and use JavaCC to parse this file. For Eg, the filtered data will look like: 01/05/04 11:31 PUMP 7 REG GALLONS 10.081 @ $1.499/GAL FUEL $15.11 TOTAL $15.11 VISA $15.11 TL/NOTAX $15.11 TAX PD $0.00 RECEIPT NO. 1-0565 Currently, I am using JavaCC to write rules to say what is the order of each line that I expect and so I form a JJtree for the parsed data and use that in my java program to write the gallons of fuel, amount and payment type into database. But, I wanted to know if there is any other way of doing this. I am planning to on using XML for the purpose of parsing. But, I don't have any other clue. I would really apriciate any help in this direction. Thanks, Sreeni. ...

Should the webserver add "Content-Type: text/xml header" to the requested XML file?
I've been informed that a webserver sending a XML file is supposed to add "Content-Type: text/xml header". I'm not questioning that infromation but i'm unsure what was ment by it. The XML i get on my screen when i type in the url to it looks as follows. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tag-uno>uno</tag-uno> <tag-duo>duo</tag-duo> I can't see any line containing "text/xml" but perhaps it's not supposed to show in the requested file. Please advise. -- Regards Konrad Viltersten ---------------...

generic xslt to nest a xml-document as text within an element

How do I embed a link into the text of an xml element's value?
Hi, Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. I need to embed a link in the text portion of an xml element's value. For example, <some_element> Hi, my name is Tom, and you can find my webpage <URL link="www.xyz.net/~tom">here</URL> </some_element> so when this element is transformed into xhtml (using xsl, of course) we will see the link properly. If anyone can offer me a suggestion regarding how to tackle this issue, I would much appreciate it. Tom If you include the protocol in your link attribute (eg, http://www.xyz.net/~tom) then you can ...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

how to Update/insert an xml element's text----> (<element> text</element>)

XSLT to transform a "flat" XML file into a structured text file
Subject: XSLT to transform a flat XML file into a structured text file I have an XML file that lists the PDF file segment names and titles of a larger document and looks something like this: <DOCUMENT> ...... ...... some lead elements ...... <SEGMENT_LIST> <SEGMENT FILE="fwd.pdf">Foreword</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="chap1.pdf">Chapter 1</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="chap2.pdf">Chapter 2</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="chap3.pdf">Chapter 3</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="v1fwd.pdf" VOLUME="Volume 1">Foreword</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="v1defs.pdf" VOLUME="Volume 1">Definitions</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="v1meth.pdf" VOLUME="Volume 1">Methodology</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="v1sachap1.pdf" VOLUME="Volume 1" GROUP='Section A">Chapter 1A</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="v1sachap2.pdf" VOLUME="Volume 1" GROUP='Section A">Chapter 2A</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="v1sachap3.pdf" VOLUME="Volume 1" GROUP='Section A">Chapter 3A</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="v1sbchap1.pdf" VOLUME="Volume 1" GROUP='Section B">Chapter 1B</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE="v1sbchap2.pdf" VOLUME="Volume 1" GROUP='Section B">Chapter 2B</SEGMENT> <SEGMENT FILE=&quo...

Web resources about - Parsing text with link from xml with XSLT - comp.text.xml

Parsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parsing or syntactic analysis is the process of analysing a string of symbols, either in natural language or in computer languages , according ...

Parsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parsing or syntactic analysis is the process of analysing a string of symbols, either in natural language or in computer languages , according ...

Parsing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Parsing or syntactic analysis is the process of analysing a string of symbols , either in natural language or in computer languages , conforming ...

Parsing Parse’s worldwide growth
Parse, the app development platform Facebook purchased last April , is seeing some incredible growth worldwide. Parse CEO Ilya Sukhar recently ...

17 - 1 - Dependency Parsing Introduction-Stanford NLP-Professor Dan Jurafsky & Chris Manning - YouTube ...
If you are interest on more free online course info, welcome to: http://opencourseonline.com/ Professor Dan Jurafsky & Chris Manning are offering ...

Representative Line: JavaScript JSON Parsing
No data interchange format is perfect. ASN.1 ( Abstract Syntax Notation One ) is probably the closest (it's by far the most flexible and comprehensive), ...

Parsing the Unity Bill
The NDP is wrong on secession, the Clarity Act and the Supreme Court

Google Hangouts for Android getting smarter with natural language parsing, consolidated contacts
You've long been able to share your location with contacts in Hangouts chats, but the Google Hangouts for Android app is today getting a little ...

Parsing the difference between the Internet and the Web according to Alan Kay
Stack Exchange This Q&A is part of a weekly series of posts highlighting common questions encountered by technophiles and answered by users ...

Feature Friday: Phone Number Parsing
... I am pretty sure the former is not. I’ve talked to a few people about this and what I am told is that the Android OS has phone number parsing ...