Q: xml for rfc822/mime

I am looking for an xml grammar for mail messages.  It needs to be able to
identify the structure of a mime message and also the structure of a
non-mime (but rfc822) message.

I can invent one easily enough, (and intend to if nothing exists) but
before I do, I am looking for anything that already exists and is either a
standard or is already in common use.

Google turned up a few odds and ends, the most definitive being a series
of drafts from Graham Klyne, but they appear to be out of date now, and
nothing looked that definitive or sounded like it was already in general
use in a variety of existing applications.

So, before I finalize my own, input would be welcome.

0
yf110 (571)

Malcolm Dew-Jones wrote:
> I am looking for an xml grammar for mail messages.  It needs to be able to
> identify the structure of a mime message and also the structure of a
> non-mime (but rfc822) message.

Have a look at XMTP (<http://www.openhealth.org/xmtp/>).

F'up2 comp.text.xml
--
Johannes Koch
                             (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

q) XML Schema and valid XML documents
Wikipedia provides the following definition for valid XML document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML): it contains a reference to a Document Type Definition (DTD), and that its elements and attributes are declared in that DTD and follow the grammatical rules for them that the DTD specifies. There is no reference to XML Schema in the above defintion. I am presuming that this is a dated definition for valid XML document and that an XML document that has an XML Schema associated with it is also a valid XML document. Kindly confirm. Thanks, Ramesh In article &l...

XML to XML conversion

XML to XML Transformation

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

[rfc-dist] RFC 6207 on The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 6207 Title: The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml Author: R. Denenberg, Ed. Status: Informational Stream: IETF Date: April 2011 Mailbox: rden@loc.gov Pages: 11 Characters: 18090 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-denenberg-mods-etc-media-types-03.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6207.txt This document specifies media types for the following formats: MODS (Metadata Object Description Schema), MADS (Metadata Authority Description Schema), METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard), MARCXML (MARC21 XML Schema), and the SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL Response Format) protocol response XML schema. These are all XML schemas providing representations of various forms of information including metadata and search results. This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. T...

How to retrieve XML CDATA text contents by org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2?
For example I have a XML tag <script> <![CDATA[ My script is here ]]> </script> I am using org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2 to parse my XML file. How do I retrieve my script contents? What shall I do in these two methods? @Override public void startElement(String uri, String localName, String qName, Attributes attributes) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { // How to retrieve my script contents? } } @Override public void endElement(String uri, String localName, String qName) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { ...

web.xml / XML schema issue, why do some XML schema attributes disappear
Hi I'm trying to get my j2ee app to run on Jboss (version 3.2.3), but Jboss complains there are some missing attributes in the web-app element. The attributes are present in the XML file, but they seem to be removed by the parser, also when I view the file in a web browser. My XML below (I have cut out a lot of stuff for the purpose of this post) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app xmlns="...

XML/XSL newb q: can I ever select or refer to xml attribute values?
I mean, with XSL functions such as SELECT can I only refer to XML element values or can I somehow also refer to XML attribute values? Is there any way to refer to XML content based on attribute values? Or is it a parsed data only thing? BTW, new to XML; sorry if this is a dumb question. I just haven't seen this explicitly stated anywhere (though by experience it doesn't seem to work). In article <f50415a8.0404291400.17de8650@posting.google.com>, 5tein <stein@cc.usu.edu> wrote: % I mean, with XSL functions such as SELECT can I only refer to XML % element values or can I somehow also refer to XML attribute values? I hate it when people as questions in the subject line, then don't repeat them in the body of the message. Select isn't a function -- rather it's an attribute of several elements. This attribute always contains an xpath expression, so you can refer to anything xpath can refer to. As it happens, you can refer to attributes. It's worth reading an introduction to xpath, but you can do something like <xsl:value-of select='@x'/> to get at the value of attribute x of the current node. -- Patrick TJ McPhee East York Canada ptjm@interlog.com ...

Installation of: XML-DOM-1.44, XML-Parser-2.36, XML-RSS-1.47, XML-Simple-2.18
- CPAN Forum Q&A, Installation of; -- XML-Writer-0.606 -- XML-DOM-1.44 -- XML-Simple-2.18 -- XML-RSS-1.47 -- XML-Parser-2.36 As concerns the installation of the four items above, these errors are continously flagged as an intervention to the process; XML-Simple-2.18, flagged: ======================== Checking installed modules... could not find ParseDetails.ini in C: \strawberry\perl\vendor\lib\xml\sax XML::Sax is installed, it will be used by the test suite Could not open 'lib/XML/Simple.pm': No such file or directory at C:/ strawberry/perl/lib/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm line 2627. --...

Should the webserver add "Content-Type: text/xml header" to the requested XML file?
I've been informed that a webserver sending a XML file is supposed to add "Content-Type: text/xml header". I'm not questioning that infromation but i'm unsure what was ment by it. The XML i get on my screen when i type in the url to it looks as follows. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tag-uno>uno</tag-uno> <tag-duo>duo</tag-duo> I can't see any line containing "text/xml" but perhaps it's not supposed to show in the requested file. Please advise. -- Regards Konrad Viltersten ---------------...

XML to XML newbee help

New to XML : What is XML Application ?
Hi All, While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as configuration file and other 'low-level' application. Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business application that make use of XML ? ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? Thank you for your help, Krist XML is a language to �mark up� structured contents. You could e.g. convert database contents into XML. The special benefit is its tree-like hierarchical structure. Roger "Krist" <xtanto@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cb48a3b.0503152315.29e8d51@posting.google.com... > Hi All, > > While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as > configuration file and other 'low-level' application. > > Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business > application that make use of XML ? > ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? > > Thank you for your help, > Krist Krist wrote: > Hi All, > > While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as > configuration file and other 'low-level' application. > > Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business > application that make use of XML ? > ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? > > Thank you for your help, > Krist Several applications of ours use XML: One uses XML to send data from an RDBMS to a server which again uses XSL to generate XHTML. This is an online travel shopping site. Another uses t...

Xml to Xml transform problem

Sort xml and write to xml

Web resources about - Q: xml for rfc822/mime - comp.text.xml

Talk:Email - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Computing , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of computers , computing , and information ...

FindPage - APL wiki
Search: APL Wiki Login FindPage RecentChanges FindPage HelpContents Immutable Page Comments Info Attachments More Actions: Raw Text Print View ...

Paul Warren
Software iftop - network interface bandwidth monitoring. Mail::RFC822::Address - a Perl module for regular expression based RFC 822 email address ...

FindPage - Server Sky
Search: Login FindPage RecentChanges WikiSpam FindPage HelpForUsers Immutable Page Comments Info Attachments More Actions: Raw Text Print View ...

FindPage - Datenschmutz Wiki
Search: Login Datenschmutz Wiki FindPage RecentChanges FindPage HelpContents Immutable Page Comments Info More Actions: Raw Text Print View Delete ...

UW IMAP software
There is a glitch in the RFC-1730 specification: partial return valuesfrom the RFC822.HEADER.LINES command and the PARTIAL command are notdistinguishable ...

Breaking things down to Atoms
class Feed(db.Model): """Represents a feed that accumulates received messages.""" title = db.StringProperty() created = db.DateTimeProperty(required=True, ...

FindPage - SeattleWireless
Search: Login FindPage RecentChanges FindPage HelpContents Node Map Blog Planet Store Immutable Page Comments Info More Actions: Raw Text Print ...

FindPage - Couchdb Wiki
Search: Couchdb Wiki Login FindPage FrontPage RecentChanges FindPage HelpContents Immutable Page Comments Info Attachments More Actions: Raw ...

BitWorking
Joe Gregorio 's writings (archives) , projects and status updates . Archives 2011 Oct 12 client_secrets.json May 31 Back on Twitter 10 APIs Discovery ...