Query on text and element nodes

Hi all,

The code below gets me a list of all the nodes within the node object
called xml_tags_root.

NodeList nl	=	xml_tags_root.getChildNodes();

The length of nodelist I get is double the number of actual elements!
This is because after every element node there is text node which is (I
think) the whitespace in the XML document.

Is there a way to get only the element nodes?

Please advice.

thanks,
ASD

0
arvindsd (43)

arvindsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The code below gets me a list of all the nodes within the node object
> called xml_tags_root.
>
> NodeList nl	=	xml_tags_root.getChildNodes();
>
> The length of nodelist I get is double the number of actual elements!
> This is because after every element node there is text node which is (I
> think) the whitespace in the XML document.
>
> Is there a way to get only the element nodes?

Well just loop through them and discard the text-nodes.

> Please advice.
>
> thanks,
> ASD

0
tjerk (220)
5/23/2005 9:37:11 AM

arvindsd@yahoo.com wrote:

> The code below gets me a list of all the nodes within the node object
> called xml_tags_root.
>
> NodeList nl	=	xml_tags_root.getChildNodes();
>
> The length of nodelist I get is double the number of actual elements!
> This is because after every element node there is text node which is (I
> think) the whitespace in the XML document.
>
> Is there a way to get only the element nodes?

Depending on the parser and the API you are using there might be ways to
only access the elements nodes, either by having white space text nodes
ignored during parsing and not included in the DOM tree at all or by
using a selection method later, for instance XPath, to access only
element nodes.
But as you have not provided any details on which parser/API you are
using it is hard to tell. I guess you are using Java and the W3C DOM, in
Java 1.5 you could use XPath.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Text nodes and element nodes query
Hi all, The code below gets me a list of all the nodes within the node object called xml_tags_root. NodeList nl = xml_tags_root.getChildNodes(); The length of nodelist I get is double the number of actual elements! This is because after every element node there is text node which is (I think) the whitespace in the XML document. Is there a way to get only the element nodes? Please advice. thanks, ASD Hi, Look at getElementsByTagName(....) Regards, Arnaud "asd" <arvindsd@yahoo.com> a �crit dans le message news: 1116833345.887839.95270@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... &...

how to Update/insert an xml element's text----> (<element> text</element>)

text-text

text + text

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

Query xml with text()
Hi, i've some problems when i use text() on page http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/TimeTable?stazin=fewfw&stazout=roma&datag=04&datam=07&dataa=2008&timsh=15&timsm=09&x=20&y=7&lang=it&nreq=5&channel=tcom if i do //B/text() it returns to me "Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impostati." but if i try to do //B[text()="Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impostati."] it doesn't found any element. i'm using the library javaXpCom to do the query on the webpage. What's wrong on this query? Thanks and sorry for my bad english Ciccio Pasticcio wrote: > Hi, > > i've some problems when i use text() > > on page > http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/TimeTable?stazin=fewfw&stazout=roma&datag=04&datam=07&dataa=2008&timsh=15&timsm=09&x=20&y=7&lang=it&nreq=5&channel=tcom > if i do //B/text() it returns to me "Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione > corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impostati." > but if i try to do //B[text()="Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione > corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impostati."] it doesn't found any element. Maybe it is an issue with leading and/or trailing white space. The source of that page contains <b>Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impos...

XSLT Select nodes without text-node children whose names starts with specifix text

xslt help needed with element nodes embedded in text node

text node has text but won't render
This renders in Firefox perfectly well but the text in the red box remains invisible. The program is a subset of a larger and doesn't do much. but even after cutting out all the unneccessary stuf, I still can't get it to work!! Cheers, Greg =================== <xhtml:html xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" > <xhtml:head> <xhtml:title> Intermingled XHTML and SVG </xhtml:title> <xhtml:script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"><![CDATA[ function gogo(evt){ var targetObj = evt.target; //The object that received the event var targetDoc = targetObj.ownerDocument; //Owner document var wg = document.getElementById("SVGroot"); var lg = document.getElementById("labelz"); //label labelBox= targetDoc.createElementNS("http://www.w3.org/2000/svg", "svg:rect"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "id", "label1"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "fill", "red"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "fill-opacity", 1); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "x", 700); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "y", 400); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "width", 200); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "height", 20); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "visibility", "visible"); lg.appendC...

extracting text from an XML node

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

Getting kind of abstract text snippets from text nodes
Hi everybody, I am about implementing a little search engine that searches a phrase over xml text nodes. I got that all working fine but what I want as the results is not the complete text of the textnode, I would like to make an abstract like result list (such output that you get with google searches. For eg .... I am the <b>substring</b> from a complete text node ... where "substring" is the search term. The problem is simple (I think): I want to extract all the text parts of the complete text node, where search searchterm is highlighted, surrounded by the text like 30 characters. I found an intersting post "cut down text" which is almost that what I am looking for, but there the text is just trimmed by x characters. Is anybody here, that has an "elegant" way to solve that or some hints that get me to the solution? I am not able to use regex (would be nice though) My parser is Sablotron so I am restricted to the functions that I get. (1.0). Any help is greatly appreciated. regards, Andreas W Wylach Think about dividing the text into three parts: before your target, the target itself, and after the target. Process each appropriately. If you want to report multiple instances within the same block of text, look at the standard examples of recursive text processing. -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry "Andreas W. Wylach" <aw@ioc...

Updating A Text String In A Text Field With An Update Query
If I have the following string in a text field of a table: "This is a test" can I create an update query that will change, say, the string "is" to "xyz" in the two locations where it occurs or would this require VBA? Thanks, Sheldon Potolsky Use an Update query. Something like this: UPDATE Table1 SET [F1] = Replace([F1], "is", "xyz") WHERE [F1] Like "*is*"; -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps ...

Pages

text 2 text

SQL Monitor not showing batch text or query text
We're running Sybase ASE 12.5.0.3 on a Win NT server. I am trying to capture the SQL text run from an application. I can see the process in the "Process Current SQL Statement Monitor", but nothing shows up in the Batch Text, Stored Proc Text, or Query Plan Text windows when I select the process. Any ideas why this isn't working? I have enabled "SQL batch capture" and "enable monitoring", and "max SQL text monitored" is set to 4096. The monitoring service is started, of course. Unfortunately, we don't have a Sybase DBAdmin to handle this, and my familiarity is with administering Sybase ASE seems to not be up to the task. We really need to find a way to capture the SQL queries run by this application in order to get the data in a non-Crystal Reports format. All help is appreciated. Install the monitoring tables, and query monSysSQLText. See www.sypron.nl/mda for instructions. HTH, Rob ------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Verschoor Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0 and Replication Server 12.5 / TeamSybase Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop): "Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase ASE" "The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide" "The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide" mailto:rob@YOUR.SPAM.sypron.nl.NOT.FOR.ME http://www.sypron.nl Sypron B.V....

How can I set the caption text of picture controls inside an array or how can I choose which array element is assigned using the array elements caption text property.
I have 8 picture controls inside an array and I would like to set the caption text of these controls. I have used the property node of the array and used the array elements property caption text to set the text. &nbsp; The problem is however that&nbsp;I set the same text to all the picture controls inside the array. My question is how to set caption text of specific elements (Picture control) that I have so far only been able to access using the array elements caption text property. &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Some more help &nbsp; 1 You could use the caption of the array and...

editor for editing xml text nodes
We have xml documents which contain text imbedded as text content in some xml structures. These documents need to be translated by human translators from English into, for example, Chinese. We would like the translator to use an editor which shows him only the text content of the xml document, or gives him only editing access to the text content. The translator should be unable to touch or modify the xml tags, so that it is guaranteed that the xml-tags are unchanged when the translator returns the translated document. The translator simply replaces all English text accessible to him into Chinese text. Does anyone know an xml editing tool which has this feature, of allowing only modification to the text node content? Alois Zreindl wrote: > We have xml documents which contain text imbedded as text content in > some xml structures. > > These documents need to be translated by human translators from English > into, for example, Chinese. > > We would like the translator to use an editor which shows him only the > text content of the xml document, or gives him only editing access to > the text content. I am working on exactly this right now. It leaves the elements in element content inviolable, but allows element markup in mixed content (the only thing a translator should be touching). Please contact me by email to discuss this further. > The translator should be unable to touch or modify the xml tags, so that > it is guara...

XML Schema for Node with attribute and text
I've tried to find how to write a schema for this type of node everywhere. <Param name="FirstParam">ABCD</Param> How do i arrange a complex type that contains an attribute and a text. This : <xs:complexType name="Param"> <xs:attribute name="name" /> </xs:complexType> Result as : <invalid char="13" code="cvc-complex-type.1.2" line="3086" resource="file:///C:/WINNT/Profiles/svaillan/Desktop/XML Schema/test.xml">element Param must be empty but is not</invalid> This : <xs:complexType name="Param"> <xs:all> <xs:element name="text" type="xs:string" /> </xs:all> <xs:attribute name="name" /> </xs:complexType> Result as : <invalid char="13" code="cvc-complex-type.1.2.3" line="3086" resource="file:///C:/WINNT/Profiles/svaillan/Desktop/XML Schema/test.xml">text not allowed: |ABCD|</invalid> I just dont know where to add the unnamed <xs:element ... > tag. Anyone can help me figure this out? Thx In article <de3c2ad2.0311281339.e74b69b@posting.google.com>, Simon Vaillancourt <svaillancourt@mediagrif.com> wrote: % I've tried to find how to write a schema for this type of node % everywhere. % % <Param name="FirstParam">ABCD</Param> % % How do...

Why treat text nodes as nodes?
One of the things I find most unnatural about most XML APIs is that they try to abstract both elements and text into some kind of "node" object when they have virtually nothing in common. The reason these APIs do it is to make it possible for both text and elements to be children of elements. But there is another way. The XPath/XQuery data model does not allow two consecutive text nodes. As far as I can tell, most XML processing software automatically merges consecutive text nodes. This means that the number of text segments directly under an element is bound by the number of sub-elements plus 1 (PIs and comments may be treated as "pseudo-elements" for this purpose). As a result, it is always possible to associate each text segment with the element immediately preceding it within the parent and associate the first text element with the parent itself. No more text nodes. The only API I know that uses this trick is the ElementTree API for Python by Fredrik Lundh (http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm). Each Element object has a text and tail property for the text immediately inside the element and text following it within its parent element. Elements always have a tag, attributes and and zero or more children - which are always other elements. No mixed types. The text and tail attributes are always strings. This model should be very convenient for statically-typed languages like Java or C++. I find it ironic that this idea is probably used only in Pyt...

SAX parsing problem, when element contains text like "[text]"
Hello. I try to parse some XML results of PubMed (the largest biomedical article database). The document contains elements like this: <articletitle>[Virus and RNA silencing]</articletitle> Now my problem is that the characters function of my SAX handler is called twice for "[Virus and RNA silencing]". The first time I get "[Virus and RNA silencing" and the second time "]". I am not very experienced regarding XML and XML processing. Why does this happen? Why not one call for "[Virus and RNA silencing]"? And is there a way to set a property for SAX to behave that (only one call) way? Best regards, Kai Kai Schlamp wrote: > I try to parse some XML results of PubMed (the largest biomedical > article database). > The document contains elements like this: <articletitle>[Virus and RNA > silencing]</articletitle> > Now my problem is that the characters function of my SAX handler is > called twice for "[Virus and RNA silencing]". > The first time I get "[Virus and RNA silencing" and the second time > "]". > I am not very experienced regarding XML and XML processing. Why does > this happen? Why not one call for "[Virus and RNA silencing]"? And is > there a way to set a property for SAX to behave that (only one call) > way? This is expected behavior of a SAX parser. You characters method should accumulate content and endElement do the final proc...

xsl to retrieve text in table elements in xml

Web resources about - Query on text and element nodes - comp.text.xml

Éléments de géométrie algébrique - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Éléments de géométrie algébrique ("Elements of Algebraic Geometry ") by Alexander Grothendieck (assisted by Jean Dieudonné ), or EGA for ...

When SCOTUS justices are out of their element
The passing of senior associate justice Antonin Scalia makes this a fitting occasion to marvel at his wit and wisdom. Note that his technique ...

Examining Soft Machines' Architecture: An Element of VISC to Improving IPC
Last week, Soft Machines announced that their 'VISC' architecture was available for licensing, following the announcement of the original concepts ...

Explore the elements of life in _PRISM
_PRISM Cobe The Gallery Maestria Explore the elements of life in _PRISM is a story by AppAdvice.com AppAdvice - iPhone, iPad, iPod, App Reviews ...

Despite the Changing Times, Some Elements of Media Relations Just Don’t Change
... Sure, constant changes in the media landscape require us to look at challenges from a fresh perspective, but the truth is the core elements ...

7 elements of cloud SLAs you should focus on
Service-level agreements for cloud services are, at their core, more challenging than other SLAs because many cloud providers are unwilling to ...

Review: JDS Labs' The Element headphone amp dials in audio
Twist the gigantic, glorious knob on The Element headphone amplifier to dial in your music so it sounds just the way you like it.

Yorgos Lanthimos, Element Pictures And Film4 Re-Teaming On ‘The Killing Of A Sacred Deer’
EXCLUSIVE: Yorgos Lanthimos is re-teaming with The Lobster co-writer Efthimis Fillipou and producers Element Pictures and Film4 on The Killing ...

Elements Lab Launches App For DIY 3D Jewelry Making
... Jewelry lovers will surely delight in this new app that is set to come out by the end of February. Taiwan-based 3D printing company Elements ...

Five Essential Elements of a Terrible Small Business Ad
Five Essential Elements of a Terrible Small Business Ad written by Guest Post read more at Duct Tape Marketing photo credit: # Propag Ford 1905 ...