Refer to an XML document from within an XML document

Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML
document? How do I do this?

TIA,
- Manish

Manish Hatwalne wrote:

> Is there an "XML" way to reference an XML document from within an XML
> document? How do I do this?

XLink:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/
XPointer framework:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-framework/
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr-element/
XInclude:
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/

Check out yourself which of them comes close to what you understand
"reference an XML document" to do.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
mahotrash (2052)

Help on including one XML document within another XML document using XML Schemas
Hi I would like to specify an XML schema that would allow an XML document to be included within another XML document. The following example schema gives an idea of what we're trying to achieve ServiceResponse.xsd -------------------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="serviceResponse" type="ServiceResponse"/> <xs:complexType name="ServiceResponse"> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="anXMLDocument" type="xs:string"/> <xs:element name="someOtherData" type="xs:string"/> </xs:sequence> </xs:complexType> </xs:schema> The element anXMLDocument would contain an XML data string that would be parsed against a different XML Schema. The identity of the XML Schema for parsing anXMLDocument is not known at the time the ServiceResponse XML is parsed. Previously when we used DTDs we used inline CDATA wrappers around the contained XML document to avoid it being parsed. Can we still continue to use inline CDATA wrappers around the XML data when we parse against XML schemas? I've tried looking into the XML Schema specs but the mention of CDATA seems a bit sparse and doesn't seem to answer the question. If we can't use an inline CDATA wrapper i...

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format
I'm migrating data into a content management system and in order to use the import tool provided I need to change the format of a large xml file and convert each entry to a seperate xml file. This is what I have now: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <dataroot xmlns:od="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:officedata" generated="2005-04-18T12:05:51"> <Checklist> <ID>1</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>2</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>3</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> <Checklist> <ID>4</ID> <Category>stuff</Category> <Type>stuff</Type> <Item>stuff</Item> <Steps>stuff</Steps> </Checklist> </dataroot> This is what I need each entry to be as a single file: <?xml version="1.0" ?> <file DocType="TypeName" DocTitle="TITLE:testing 123" DocDesc="TITLE:testing 123"> <section name=...

how to convert XML document to several XML documents in a new format #2
[...]

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

Including XSLT/XML document within a XSLT document

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

Validating parsed XML document against XML-schema
*PROBLEM: how to validate parsed XML document against (parsed) XML-schema. *IN: XML document as org.w3c.dom.Document, XML-schema as stream *OUT: information if document is valid against schema. If document is not valid DETAILED information about ALL errors (especially: node that caused problem). *Additional information: - validation is performed quite often, - XML-document object is changed quite often, - XML-Schema is fixed. - XML-document doesn't contain information about related XML-schema (attr xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation) - XML-Sche...

Example of an XML document with an inline xml schema
Hi All, I'm looking for a little example of an xml document which is validated using an inline xml schema. I'm a bit of a newbie, and I'm finding this to be a bit of a mind bender, so an example or some pointers which show me how to achieve this would be much appreciated. I look forward to any help or advice any one can offer. Naran Here's a trivial example <arbitrarytag xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="#local"> <xs:schema id="local"> <xs:element name="root" type="xs:integer"/> </xs:schema> <root>35a</root> </arbitrarytag> At least XSV [1] will process this in the desired way. ht [1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xsv-status.html -- Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh Half-time member of W3C Team 2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440 Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/ [mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is forged spam] http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxmlnet/html/inlschma.asp -- Stan Kitsis Program Manager, XML Technologies Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with...

q) XML Schema and valid XML documents
Wikipedia provides the following definition for valid XML document (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML): it contains a reference to a Document Type Definition (DTD), and that its elements and attributes are declared in that DTD and follow the grammatical rules for them that the DTD specifies. There is no reference to XML Schema in the above defintion. I am presuming that this is a dated definition for valid XML document and that an XML document that has an XML Schema associated with it is also a valid XML document. Kindly confirm. Thanks, Ramesh In article &l...

Merging XML documents into a single XML file
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? Many thanks, Danny Knights daniel.knights@sunderland.ac.uk schreef: > Hello, > > I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am > having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml > file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then > using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! > Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? > > Many thanks, > > Danny Knights > You could create an .xsl file which loads teh documents in variables! Take a xsl tutorial, and i'm sure you will succeed daniel.knights@sunderland.ac.uk wrote: > Hello, > > I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I am > having. I have 3 or 4 xml files which i need to merge onto another xml > file called build_log.xml, which is produced using an ANT Logger. Then > using XSL etc I want to format all of this into a pretty html format! > Does anyone have any sample code they could shove my way?? > > Many thanks, > > Danny Knights > Have the RefleX ! There is an example here : ht...

how to parse a xml document which has a combination of XML XQuery and XPath
In my current project i am bit stuck where i dont have any formatted XML doc but it is a combination of XML XQuery and XPath. Can I parse a document which has a combination of (XML + XQuery + Xpath + data) ? Any reference suggestion or solution is useful. Thanks in advance. Thanks Auro beginner wrote: > In my current project i am bit stuck where i dont have any formatted > XML doc but it is a combination of XML XQuery and XPath. > Can I parse a document which has a combination of (XML + XQuery + > Xpath + data) ? > Any reference suggestion or solution is useful. > > T...

Transfer XML schema to XML document in PL/SQL
Hi guys, I have a problem with xml in PL/SQL I am getting an xml schema from an stored prodedure, and supposed to use it to generate the new xml document(step1) and hardcode some values for some of the nodes inside the document(step2). Can anyone give me a hand on both steps? Really appreciated for any help in advance :) Jun wrote: > Hi guys, > > I have a problem with xml in PL/SQL > I am getting an xml schema from an stored prodedure, and supposed > to > use it to generate the new xml document(step1) and hardcode some values > for some > o...

XML::LibXML: Including xml fragments in a larger document
For a project I receive some XML fragments from a data base and have to include it in a larger XML document created with XML::LibXML. With version 1.66 of XML::LibXML I was able to to something like my $doc = XML::LibXML::Document->new('1.0', 'utf-8' ); my $root = $doc->createElement("X:root"); $doc->setDocumentElement($root); my $node = XML::LibXML->new()->parse_balanced_chunk( '<owner>peter@makholm.net</owner>' ); $doc->adoptNode($node); $root->addChild($node); But with ...

XML call XSL that calls xml through document() element
Hello, I am trying to create an XML document on the fly that sends some parameters to an xsl document which calls the correct xml document that corresponds to the parameters. I reference the xsl document: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="web-primary.xsl"?> I am just trying to hardcode the request to prove that this is possible for the time being so the parameters are already in the xsl that will eventually be variables. but I am unsure what else to include in the first XML file to make th...

Change to the public schema document for the XML namespace (xml.xsd)
The schema document at http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd has changed, in order to (belatedly) track the change to xml:lang in XML 3rd edition [1], which now allows the empty string as well as a language code. Per the standard change policy, the old version is still available [2] and will not be changed. A copy of the new version which will never change is also available [3]. ht, on behalf of the W3C XML Core Working Group [followups to public-xml-core-wg@w3.org, please] [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-lang-tag [2] http://www.w3.org/2004/10/xml.xsd [3] http://www.w3.org/2005/08/xml.xsd -- Henry S. Thompson, HCRC Language Technology Group, University of Edinburgh Half-time member of W3C Team 2 Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LW, SCOTLAND -- (44) 131 650-4440 Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk URL: http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/ [mail really from me _always_ has this .sig -- mail without it is forged spam] ...

Multiple Input XML documents to produce one output XML
I have two input XML files. One lists all the expected elements (default.xml) with default values and the other is the actual data (data.xml). For any elements that are missing in data.xml, I want to copy them from all.xml and put it in the resulting OUTPUT document default.xml <CLOTHES> <JEANS>unknown/JEANS> <SHIRTS>unknown</SHIRTS> <TOPS>missing</TOPS> <SWIMSUITS>missing</SWIMSUITS> </CLOTHES> data.xml <CLOTHES> <JEANS>xxx</JEANS> <SHIRTS>yyy</SHIRTS> <TOPS>zzz</TOPS> </CLOTHES> OUTPUT should look like this: <CLOTHES> <JEANS>xxx</JEANS> <SHIRTS>yyy</SHIRTS> <TOPS>zzz</TOPS> <SWIMSUITS>missing</SWIMSUITS> </CLOTHES> How do i do this? Thanks, SV Please try this XSLT stylesheet. <?xml version="1.0"?> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:common="http://exslt.org/common" exclude-result-prefixes="common" version="1.0"> <xsl:output method="xml" indent="yes" /> <xsl:variable name="doc1" select="/" /> <xsl:variable name="doc2" select="document('default.xml')" /> <xsl:template match="/"> <CLOTHES> <xsl:variable...

generic xslt to nest a xml-document as text within an element

xml.dom.minidom losing the XML document type attribute
Hello group, when I read in a XML document with the xml.dom.minidom parser and write it out again, an attribute is lost: Input: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> [...] Output: <?xml version="1.0" ?> How can I fix this? Python is Python 3.0rc2 (r30rc2:67114, Nov 16 2008, 15:24:36) Kind regards, Johannes -- "Meine Gegenklage gegen dich lautet dann auf bewusste Verlogenheit, verl�sterung von Gott, Bibel und mir und bewusster Blasphemie." -- Prophet und Vision�r Hans Joss aka HJP in de.sci.physik &l...

ANN: PDF Publishing of XML documents with Serna XML Editor
With Syntext Serna XML editor you now can author XML documents in WYSIWYG appearance, and immediately publish them in PDF and HTML representations. The PDF Publishing Package for Serna allows you to generate high-quality PDF files right from Serna with just a single button click. It utilizes the Antenna House XSL Formatter, the fastest XSL-FO rendering engine on the market. The package is another great step towards the affordable desktop XML publishing system. The highlights of the package include: - Similar appearance in editing and publishing - Single-click PDF generation - Fast PDF generation - Rich set of PDF options - Original Antenna House XSL Formatter distribution - Excellent performance for the price - Special discount for Serna users - Availability for Windows and Linux See details on the PDF package: http://www.syntext.com/products/ahplugin/index.htm On Syntext Serna: http://www.syntext.com/products/serna/index.htm IMPORTANT: The PDF Publishing Package works only with Serna version 2.0.1 or higher. ...

[...]

questions and recommend books about refactoring of xml-schematas and the transformation of xml-documents
Hello everybody :-) Next year I`ll write my diploma in computer science for business (It`s a degree in Germany) and I`ve some questions about the topic. The diploma will handle about refactoring of xml-schemes and a transformation of all instances (the xml-documents) with XSLT-scripts. The idea of the diploma is, that in nearly every company xml schemes are used. And (like Heraklit said "Panta rhei" - everthing is flowing) the business processes in companys could be changed. If an xml- scheme has to be changed (refactored), what to do with all instances of these schemes? Is it possible to create an XSLT-script that transforms all instances of the old scheme into instances of the new, refactored scheme? The diploma will handle about questions like what information you need for the transformation, what operations are possible for the transformation, etc. A simple example is to refactor an xml scheme with one element and to transform an attribute of the element A to a different element in the content on the first position of the element A. I`ll write the diploma next year and all questions are only an investigation on the topic. Can anybody recommend some good books about the refactoring of something like this? I`ve read the book "XML in a Nutshell" and "Refactoring" (Martin Fowler), but I couldn`t find any information about this. What do you think about the topic? Do you see there any big problems ? I pondered about the topic the last weeks an...

Web resources about - Refer to an XML document from within an XML document - comp.text.xml

Killian documents controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The provider of the documents, Lt. Col. Bill Burkett , claims to have burned the originals after faxing copies to CBS. CBS News producer Mary ...

Secret documents reveal passionate affair
THIS is certainly not your typical love story. It is one full of betrayal, a love child and murder.

Islamic State document leak: Australian among suicide bomber applicants
... mass leak of Islamic State membership forms could help counter-terror authorities. Sky's chief correspondent Stuart Ramsey said the documents ...

Islamic State document leak: Australian computer engineer identified on list of volunteer suicide bombers ...
An Australian would-be suicide bomber is among tens of thousands of Islamic State jihadists whose details have been leaked by a disgruntled former ...

Discuss the Office documents you share Skype comes to OneDrive
... and now there is another instance of the technology being leveraged. Skype is now being rolled into Office Online so when you share a document ...

Microsoft, Amazon file legal document in support of Apple's FBI fight
Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) and Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) are among technology industry powerhouses that this week filed a legal document in support ...

3 amendments that resulted in bank rally - Business Standard News New Document Widgets Magazine Widgets ...
More than the Budget announcement, it took an action from the central bank to revive the markets. Equity markets ended on a negative note on ...

Documents reveal what Trump actually said about his university
Republican front-runner's critics say the next 10 days are key to stopping him, and they're betting Trump University is their best weapon

ISIS document leak purportedly reveals recruits' identities, details
CNN International ISIS document leak purportedly reveals recruits' identities, details CNN International Syrian pro-government forces gather ...

ISIS: Leaked documents reveal fighters' preferences - CNN.com
Leaked ISIS documents shows details of foreign recruits like their nationalities, jihadi experience, blood types and willingness to be suicide ...