select dom text nodes

Hi,

I want to select all the text nodes of an xml document using msxml
dom. I tried using the selectNodes method with "//#text" argument. But
it fails. Can anybody help please?

Thank you.

0
avsyam (3)

On Apr 13, 11:22 am, avs...@gmail.com wrote:
> I want to select all the text nodes of an xml document
> using msxml dom. I tried using the selectNodes method
> with "//#text" argument.

I don't believe there's a selectNodes() method in the W3C
DOM specs. Assuming it accepts an XPath expression as an
argument, what you need is '//text()'. #text is a nodeName,
and is fairly meaningless in the context. Consider reading
some sort of XPath tutorial, because invoking magic without
understanding how it works is a recipe for disaster, as I
can attest from painful personal experiences.

--
Pavel Lepin

0
p.lepin1 (393)
4/13/2007 11:23:36 AM
Hey.. Thank you very much. That worked!!

I m using MSXML and there is a selectNodes method.

Yes, I agree that reading throughly before attempting a task is always
the best way to work on something. Once in a while we all come across
tasks where we dont have enough time to be thoroughly trained before
attempting something.

To be fair to me :-), I did go thru the material in MSDN on XPath.
Most of it is given in the context of XSLT. That partly obstructed my
learning. Inspite of that, I didnt find any reference to selecting all
text nodes.

After you pointed out, I did check the w3schools tutorial where I
found a similar point documented, thanks to you again. Btw, do you
seriously think XPath is complex enough that we should master it
before using it?

0
avsyam (3)
4/13/2007 12:04:52 PM
In XPath, the pattern that matches text nodes is "text()".

Note that XPath's idea of the document tree is not exactly the same as
the DOM's model, so using XPath over a DOM involves a bit of translation
and magic. The DOM Level 3 recommendation defines an API for using XPath
with DOM that includes the necessary additional functions/behaviors to
make that work, including hiding entity-reference boundaries and
treating adjacent TEXT nodes as a single text() node.

--
() ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Joe Kesselman
Thank you.

0
avsyam (3)
4/13/2007 12:42:56 PM
On Apr 13, 3:04 pm, avs...@gmail.com wrote:
> Once in a while we all come across tasks where we dont
> have enough time to be thoroughly trained before
> attempting something.

When something like that happens I go to the management and
tell them something along the lines of 'You do realize this
is just asking for trouble? You've been warned.' This often
works. YMMV.

> To be fair to me :-), I did go thru the material in MSDN
> on XPath. Most of it is given in the context of XSLT.
> That partly obstructed my learning. Inspite of that, I
> didnt find any reference to selecting all text nodes.

If that is the case, the materials in question are of
rather poor quality; however, I find that a bit hard to
believe. Whatever you say about Microsoft, their references
are usually up to snuff IME. It's more likely you weren't
looking at them the right way.

> After you pointed out, I did check the w3schools tutorial
> where I found a similar point documented, thanks to you
> again.

W3schools has a somewhat mixed reputation. Some people
swear by them, but they've been caught red-handed at
posting almost blatantly ignorant advice in some of their
tutorials.

Joseph Kesselman usually refers people to IBM's collection
of materials on XML, which is what I'm gonna do:

http://www.ibm.com/xml/

It's even easier for me, because unlike Joseph I'm not
affiliated with IBM in any way (apart from having used an
IBM G96 19" display several years ago, which was an almost
orgastic experience).

Note that the place is a treasure trove of useful
information, which means it might seem a bit overwhelming.

> Btw, do you seriously think XPath is complex enough that
> we should master it before using it?

I think you should at least attempt getting hang of
*anything* you intend to use before trying to actually use
it. This applies to anything up to and including
chopsticks. Anyway, yes, I think XPath1 is complex enough
if we start messing around with predicates, contexts and
node identities, and I don't even mention XPath2. Note that
while you seem to think XPath is easy you failed to solve a
simple problem without asking for advice.

--
Pavel Lepin

0
p.lepin1 (393)
4/13/2007 1:44:41 PM
avsyam@gmail.com wrote:
> seriously think XPath is complex enough that we should master it
> before using it?

Master? Maybe not.

Spend time learning the basics? Yes, as with any tool. You can get away
with just-in-time learning... but you do have to allow time for that
learning. If management is in too much of a panic to let you do a good
job, it may be time for them to hire a consultant to help you over the
hump. Asking Usenet for advice is fine, but folks get irritated when it
looks like you haven't done your homework first... and this really is a
question that any semi-decent XPath tutorial should have answered.

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

XSLT Select nodes without text-node children whose names starts with specifix text

text-text

How to select all texts of the document of the format of the selected text?
Hi,i have selected a text of the document with the specified font face, color and size in MS Word 2000. Now , I want to select all the relevant texts from the entire document with the same format(face,color and size) as of the selected text. so Is there any method or shortcut to do this op.? Not really. You have to "walk" the document checking the styles as you go along. And You have to watch out for cases where the style changes in the middle of a word (!) and code accordingly to get the desired results. chetan26nov@gmail.com wrote: > Hi,i have selected a text of the documen...

text + text

Select DOM node(s) via text highlighting
Hello, I am new to javascript. I want to be able to do the following if possible: 1) Use the mouse to highlight a section of text on a page. 2) Obtain references (via javascript) to the node(s) that contain the highlighted text. 3) Manipulate the html of these node(s). I understand there is a method document.getSelection() that returns the highlighted text. However, I am unable to obtain the container node(s) of the text. I have also found the javascript Range API, but I am unsure how I can interface the highlighted text from document.getSelection() with the Range API. Does anyone have any...

Text bind command not selecting text
I am putting together a small report editor and need some help with the following problem. I would like the user to type in some text and then later be able to select either all of it or a portion of it for formatting (ie. centering, bold, italic,etc.) by typing in a command like Ctrl-A. The following code is what I came up for this process but for some reason the text does not get selected. Can someone tell why this code doesn't work? ################################################################ # use strict ; use Tk ; use Tk::NoteBook ; my $fTab ; my $mw = MainW...

Deleting selected text from text area
I was wondering if anyone could help. I'm trying to find how to delete text from a selected text Area. I'm a beginner in Java Netbeans. So go easy! This is what I tried but its not happening. int start = 0, end = 1; while ( start < end ) { start = SpeechText.getSelectionStart(); end = SpeechText.getSelectionEnd(); if ( start != end ) remove( SpeechText.getText() ); } tom79l@googlemail.com wrote: > I was wondering if anyone could help. I'm trying to find how to > delete text from a selected text Area. > > I'm a beginn...

How IE's and Firefox's XML DOM parsers deal with whitespace text nodes
Can someone please explain this section of this tutorial me? http://www.w3schools.com/dom/dom_mozilla_vs_ie.asp The relevant text I do not understand is: "Internet Explorer, when using node.childNodes[], will NOT contain these white-space nodes. In Mozilla, those nodes will be in the array." and "Internet Explorer will skip the white-space text nodes that are generated between nodes (e.g. new line characters), while Mozilla will not. So, in the example above, Mozilla browsers will alert 9 child nodes, while Internet Explorer will alert 4." I checked the said file: http://www.w3schools.com/dom/books.xml In both, Firefox 2.0 as well as IE 6.0, it had only 4 <book> elements. ...

How IE's and Firefox's XML DOM parsers deal with whitespace text nodes #2
Can someone please explain this section of this tutorial me? http://www.w3schools.com/dom/dom_mozilla_vs_ie.asp The relevant text I do not understand is: "Internet Explorer, when using node.childNodes[], will NOT contain these white-space nodes. In Mozilla, those nodes will be in the array." and "Internet Explorer will skip the white-space text nodes that are generated between nodes (e.g. new line characters), while Mozilla will not. So, in the example above, Mozilla browsers will alert 9 child nodes, while Internet Explorer will alert 4." I checked the said file: http://www.w3schools.com/dom/books.xml In both, Firefox 2.0 as well as IE 6.0, it had only 4 <book> elements. Water Cooler v2 wrote: > The relevant text I do not understand is: > > "Internet Explorer, when using node.childNodes[], will NOT contain > these white-space nodes. In Mozilla, those nodes will be in the > array." > > and > > "Internet Explorer will skip the white-space text nodes that are > generated between nodes (e.g. new line characters), while Mozilla will > not. So, in the example above, Mozilla browsers will alert 9 child > nodes, while Internet Explorer will alert 4." > > I checked the said file: http://www.w3schools.com/dom/books.xml > > In both, Firefox 2.0 as well as IE 6.0, it had only 4 <book> elements. The DOM object model knows different kind of nodes, it knows element nodes but...

How to get selected text from a text edit control?
I created a text edit control using CreateEditTextControl. I can get the current text by calling char buf[256]; Size textSize = 0; GetControlData(controlRef, kControlEditTextPart, kControlEditTextTextTag, 255, buf, &textSize); but how do I get only the text that is currently selected (highlighted)? thanks, Shai In article <1111086224.345185.78280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, shai@waves.com wrote: > I created a text edit control using CreateEditTextControl. > I can get the current text by calling > > char buf[256]; > Size textSize = 0; ...

How do I 'SELECT All' text in a text box
I want to select all text in a multi line text box from a command butten. Thank for help Dave Try this... Private Sub Command1_Click() With Text1 .SelStart = 0 .SelLength = Len(.Text) .SetFocus End With End Sub Rick - MVP "Dave" <last2try@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:fo0b90h0j9imbvntdea3uu2mefth5teufr@4ax.com... > I want to select all text in a multi line text box from a command > butten. > > Thank for help > Dave ...

Using Control-a to select all text in a text widget
I'm having a difficult time binding Control-a so it selects all the text in a widget just like the default Control-/ binding does. I've tried: ..t bind <Control-a> [.t bind <Control-/>] But [.t bind <Control-/>] returns nothing. If I do: ..t bind <Control-/> {puts "Selecting all"} ..t bind <Control-a> [.t bind <Control-/>] When I hit Control-/ I get at the prompt "Selecting all" and all the text is selected. But when I hit Control-a all I get is the "Selecting all" at the prompt and no text is selected. I've also tried: ..t bind <Control-a> {.t tag add sel 1.0 end} And that doesn't work either. In fact, with this code if you do Control-/ and then Control-a it unselects everything. And dumping the tags for the entire region show the tagon/tagoff for sel are gone. Does anyone know the semantics of Control-/? There's got to be more to it. - Ian I've just found this thread: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.tcl/browse_thread/thread/5c1df73696e94962/38ec894e32bafcd2?lnk=gst&q=select+all&rnum=8#38ec894e32bafcd2 Which seems to suggest there's nothing fancy about Control-/. - Ian And to answer my own question, the following works: bind .t <Control-a> {%W tag add sel 1.0 end; break;} - Ian On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:54:06 -0000, sniff.scratch@gmail.com wrote: >I'm having a difficult time binding Control-a so it selects all the >text in a w...

text node has text but won't render
This renders in Firefox perfectly well but the text in the red box remains invisible. The program is a subset of a larger and doesn't do much. but even after cutting out all the unneccessary stuf, I still can't get it to work!! Cheers, Greg =================== <xhtml:html xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" > <xhtml:head> <xhtml:title> Intermingled XHTML and SVG </xhtml:title> <xhtml:script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"><![CDATA[ function gogo(evt){ var targetObj = evt.target; //The object that received the event var targetDoc = targetObj.ownerDocument; //Owner document var wg = document.getElementById("SVGroot"); var lg = document.getElementById("labelz"); //label labelBox= targetDoc.createElementNS("http://www.w3.org/2000/svg", "svg:rect"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "id", "label1"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "fill", "red"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "fill-opacity", 1); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "x", 700); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "y", 400); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "width", 200); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "height", 20); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "visibility", "visible"); lg.appendC...

Confusing behavior regarding selected text in a text widget
Greetings one and all, I am having trouble understanding how lines of text that have been "selected" in a text widget are placed in the clipboard. Here's what's happening. I have a text widget that contains only lines of text. Some of the lines are covered by a tag that makes them invisible to the user. Specifically, if ".t" is a text widget, I have defined the tag "hide_tag": .t tag configure hide_tag -elide 1 and apply it from start of line through end of line. If one then "selects" lines of text that contain these "invisible" lines and copies them to the clipboard using control-C, all selected lines show up in the clipboard, including the "invisible" ones. I understand why this is happening and, in hindsight, I should have anticipated it, but nonetheless, it is undesirable behavior and needs to be fixed in my application. I've attempted to fix this by binding a proc to the <<Copy>> virtual event and having that proc copy all selected text that is not "invisible" to the clipboard using "clipboard clear" and "clipboard append" commands. Although the proc appears to do the correct thing, i.e., excludes the "invisible" lines, nonetheless, all selected lines, even the "invisible" ones, still appear in the clipboard. Something's going on here and I don't know what it is! Can anyone help? I have attached below example code ...

Pages

text 2 text

Getting kind of abstract text snippets from text nodes
Hi everybody, I am about implementing a little search engine that searches a phrase over xml text nodes. I got that all working fine but what I want as the results is not the complete text of the textnode, I would like to make an abstract like result list (such output that you get with google searches. For eg .... I am the <b>substring</b> from a complete text node ... where "substring" is the search term. The problem is simple (I think): I want to extract all the text parts of the complete text node, where search searchterm is highlighted, surrounded by the text like 30 characters. I found an intersting post "cut down text" which is almost that what I am looking for, but there the text is just trimmed by x characters. Is anybody here, that has an "elegant" way to solve that or some hints that get me to the solution? I am not able to use regex (would be nice though) My parser is Sablotron so I am restricted to the functions that I get. (1.0). Any help is greatly appreciated. regards, Andreas W Wylach Think about dividing the text into three parts: before your target, the target itself, and after the target. Process each appropriately. If you want to report multiple instances within the same block of text, look at the standard examples of recursive text processing. -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry "Andreas W. Wylach" <aw@ioc...

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

extracting text from an XML node

re: Confusing behavior regarding selected text in a text widget
This message is directed to whoever replied to my original post. I read it but it was deleted before I could reply. Thank you for your reply and explanation. I knew something was going on but didn't know that the text widget class binding would be triggered. I thought that overriding the widget instance would suffice. Something to learn about. Also, thanks for your observation on my "clipboard append" call- join should be used. By the way, your suggestions did the trick! Thanks again. Mike ...

XSLT: concatenating selected text nodes
in XSLT, if I want to concatenate _all_ the child text nodes, I can just do <xsl:value-of select="."> however, if I want to select and concatente only _some_ of the text nodes. for instance <xsl:value-of select=".//foo/text()"> this doesn't work as it just takes the first element in the node set. Is there any way of achieving this without using <xsl:for-each> to explicitly loop round them all? TIA Andy use copy-of not value-of David "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote in message news:yg4r7ktpnzq.fsf@penguin.nag.co.uk... > > use copy-of not value-of > worked a treat - thanks david. > > David ...

Web resources about - select dom text nodes - comp.text.xml

Welsh Affairs Select Committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Welsh Affairs Select Committee (or simply the 'Welsh Affairs Committee') is a select committee of the House of Commons in the Parliament ...

kotaku selects
Kotaku Selects

Here They Come: Facebook Announces Premium Video Ads From ‘Select Group Of Advertisers’
Facebook video ads have finally arrived, at least for a “select group of advertisers,” as the social network announced the launch of what it ...

Adwea selects advisers for 350 megawatt solar park in Abu Dhabi
... solar park in Abu Dhabi announced last year, according to industry insiders. Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (Adwea) has selected ...

AMD to Bundle New Hitman Game with Select FX CPUs and Radeon 390 Series Video Cards
AMD announced this week that it will bundle the full version of the new Hitman game with its Radeon R9 390-series graphics cards as well as FX ...

Help select the official name for The Sandbox 2, arriving sometime this year
... other players are doing for a dose of inspiration. And along with taking a look at the games progress in the forums, you can even help select ...

HP teams up with iPass to offer global Wi-Fi across select devices, including those running Windows 10 ...
... including both tablets and laptops. The company is extending its partnership with iPass Inc to bring connectivity to what it terms "select devices". ...

Techstars Seattle selects nine startups for accelerator program
The Puget Sound area’s most prominent accelerator, Techstars Seattle, on Tuesday announced its class of 2016, featuring nine early-stage companies ...

Tesla Model 3 Unveiling Event To Have Very Select Guest List
... It seems that the Model X unveiling kerfuffle last year involving CEO Elon Musk and a rather touchy journalist has led to Musk being more selective ...

Select Panel Investigating Planned Parenthood To Issue Subpoenas
Select Panel Investigating Planned Parenthood To Issue Subpoenas