To XML or not to XML?

Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page.
Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool
stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc...

So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web
pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a
web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of
information corresponding to each user.

I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I
maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the
information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it.

But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method
instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've
looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I
don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and
then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write
<dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser
for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a
parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait,
isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively
speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized
between companies ages ago? XML to me is just someone saying, "Uh, take
HTML, but you can make your own tags, and instead of calling it HTML, we'll
call it XML?" Big deal. Unless everyone adopts XML and makes it a truly
common way of storing data separate from presentation, then XML is a moot
point. This isn't anything new though, various groups have been trying to
get various methods of formatting data standardized forever.

And what about support? All the browsers still have to make their own
parsers of XML and XSL.

As far as I see it, XML is no different than any other data format in
purpose. It's a standard way of storing data, just like a JPEG is a standard
way of compressing images. The only difference I see that is worth anything,
is that XML focuses on bringing the data to the client side, then doing
stuff with it there (let's say through JavaScript), whereas a typical system
using a combo like PHP and MySQL processes the data on the server side then
sends the result to the client. But then again, if you just make the MySQL
data available in a raw format, then you've got XML in a sense.

I'm just confused. At the end of the day, I just want to know where the
reality is, where the practical solution is, to having a database and
showing your average web surfer the data they want in the way they want to
see it, all within a pretty and easily modified (stylistically) web page.

0
nope7 (45)

Xizor wrote:

[...]

> But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method
> instead?

Yes and no. No: PHP, although not exactly a very nice language, is still
much more convenient than programming in XSLT. Yes, well see below.

> Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've
> looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I
> don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags"
> and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write
> <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser
> for it to display it in a user friendly way.

For several reasons it is not at all useless:
1. In your example, you already mention a very good point, although you
   maybe didn't recognize it. What you did is to use a tag <dog> to describe
   a dog. In HTML, you would have used something like <i> or maybe <span>".
   A properly designed XML document can be much more descriptive, and even
   make the content machine understandable (the machine just needs to know
   that dogs are enclosed in <dog> tags)
2. XML is a plain text format which can be read by any editor, while MySQL
   is a "proprietary" (not exactly since it is Open Source) binary format.
3. XML is standardized, which allows for better interoperability between
   different programs.

> And what about support? All the browsers still have to make their own
> parsers of XML and XSL.

No. Existing parsers can be used, there are many available for free. In
addition, writing an XML parser is not at all difficult, it can easily be
done by first-year undergraduates.

> As far as I see it, XML is no different than any other data format in
> purpose. It's a standard way of storing data, just like a JPEG is a
> standard way of compressing images. The only difference I see that is
> worth anything, is that XML focuses on bringing the data to the client
> side, then doing stuff with it there (let's say through JavaScript),

No. The main issue is that XML allows to "annotate" or "mark up" parts of
the data and hence provide it some kind of (application specific) meaning.

But XML is essentially merely a syntax to do this. Other formalisms could do
as well, like Lisp S-expressions. The main advantage is that XML is
standardized, easy to parse and accepted by most developers.

> whereas a typical system using a combo like PHP and MySQL processes the
> data on the server side then sends the result to the client.

XSL transformations can be evaluated on the server side in the same manner.
The Cocoon project provides a framework for this, for instance.

> But then again, if you just make the MySQL data available in a raw format,
> then you've got XML in a sense.

No, you haven't. XML is *semi*structured, while data in a relational
database is *fully* structured (ever tried to store an annotated text in a
relational database?). In XML, you don't have "NULL" values for example,
what does not exist is simply not there.

--
Sebastian

PGP Key fingerprint =
       13 1D 2E 4F 20 3E C9 1F  4C 57 52 87 8A 80 48 4D  F5 E9 97 EC

0
wastl (6)
7/25/2003 12:57:38 PM
"Xizor" <nope@nope.com> wrote in message
> I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML.
> maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the
> information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it.

Yes, JSP, PHP, ASP or whatever and database is sufficient for most purposes.
XSL is one option but not necessarily an easy one/or give you any benefit
when separating content from presentation when using database as data
source.

> But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method
> instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've
> looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I
> don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags"
and
> then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write
> <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser
> for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write
> parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait,
> isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively
> speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized
> between companies ages ago? XML to me is just someone saying, "Uh, take
> HTML, but you can make your own tags, and instead of calling it HTML,
we'll
> call it XML?" Big deal. Unless everyone adopts XML and makes it a truly
> common way of storing data separate from presentation, then XML is a moot
> point. This isn't anything new though, various groups have been trying to
> get various methods of formatting data standardized forever.

XML however, is here to stay, if you import RSS feeds (blogs, news etc.) or
some other messages that are in XML format, you can't ignore XML. I guess
you can plug in PHP RSS parsing class for handling these BUT learning XSL
can be an option too.

> And what about support? All the browsers still have to make their own
> parsers of XML and XSL.
>
> As far as I see it, XML is no different than any other data format in
> purpose. It's a standard way of storing data, just like a JPEG is a
standard
> way of compressing images. The only difference I see that is worth
anything,
> is that XML focuses on bringing the data to the client side, then doing
> stuff with it there (let's say through JavaScript), whereas a typical
system
> using a combo like PHP and MySQL processes the data on the server side
then
> sends the result to the client. But then again, if you just make the MySQL
> data available in a raw format, then you've got XML in a sense.

Server side is still the way to go in web development, with some XML
processing or without it. But XML as "file format for creating file formats"
given the increasing number of tools (like XSLT, XQUERY, different parsers
etc.) is very handy for almost any kind of software development these days.

> I'm just confused. At the end of the day, I just want to know where the
> reality is, where the practical solution is, to having a database and
> showing your average web surfer the data they want in the way they want to
> see it, all within a pretty and easily modified (stylistically) web page.

But in the end, the final outcome is what matters, not the technology used.
Good luck,
Toni Uusitalo

"Sebastian Schaffert" <wastl@wastl.net> wrote in message
> No. Existing parsers can be used, there are many available for free. In
> addition, writing an XML parser is not at all difficult, it can easily be
> done by first-year undergraduates.

The things first-year undergraduates write are not XML parsers.

Writing an XML parser is difficult.

Bob Foster

0
bobkfoster (82)
7/25/2003 5:28:39 PM
Hey, check the
Subject: round two:  XML vs DBMS
thread (21.7), forget the outputs of my banana brain! ;)

In article <ol6Ua.126554$sY2.57639@rwcrnsc51.ops.asp.att.net>,
nope@nope.com says...

> I'm just confused. At the end of the day, I just want to know where the
> reality is, where the practical solution is, to having a database and
> showing your average web surfer the data they want in the way they want to
> see it, all within a pretty and easily modified (stylistically) web page.

Although this is a gross simplification one rule of thumb that I think
works pretty well is this: if your only interest is presenting
information to humans who are using web browsers, then HTML is perfectly
satisfactory (using PHP, etc to generate it). However, if the audience of
your information includes other programs, then encoding the information
in HTML is awkward because typical HTML documents (created for human
consumption) do not describe the data precisely enough.

Referring to your example: suppose you wrote documents with XML that
included your own <dog></dog> elements. Now suppose you later wanted to
write a program that created, say, an index of dog breeds mentioned in
your documents. It would be an easy task.

smaller dog.</para>

You could get a similar effect with HTML by making heavy use of <span>

class="dog">terrier</span> is a small dog.</p>

The problem with this is that you can't enforce any rules on how the
various classes interact. You can't create a schema for your "pseudo-
elements". Consequently applications that need to process such documents
would have to do more work to check for their consistency. With XML a
validating parser can verify that at least the schema is obeyed, leaving
your application to check only the higher level issues and apply the
proper semantics to the elements you defined.

Peter

Sometimes i have the feeling that dev people are kind of lemmings ( do y
remember this game?) that use to follow what Microsoft or other major
companies say. I'm very worry about this.

1/ Xml is useful to translate into several language a whole site. Your
translator can quickly translate sentences between tags.
2/ It's a good solution if you're data will be read by several different
softwares (flash, c#, java, whatever)
3/ it's easy to use because it's a simple file.

Nevertheless, there are several programming layer before manipulating datas.
This is the only problem. You have to learn a lot to use xml .
Don't think about xslt. This is not an interesting thing. If we use in
dreamweaver, coldfusion or php , to build dynamic pages you don't need xslt.
It's good if you're data are organized by levels and sub levels. For
instance, you create a jazz members' association file.
first level , name, surname, etc. but one entry, is a door to another field
lists. this entry will be musician informations with : bio-discography
etc....
Comparing to sql, xml can organized different datas which should be recorded
in different databases.

--
http://www.tpef.com/xmltoflash
the Useful Flash Mx Resource : dynamically Reads Xml contents from Flash Mx,
> [...]
standard
> way of compressing images. The only difference I see that is worth
anything,
> is that XML focuses on bringing the data to the client side, then doing
> stuff with it there (let's say through JavaScript), whereas a typical
system
> using a combo like PHP and MySQL processes the data on the server side
then
> sends the result to the client. But then again, if you just make the MySQL
> data available in a raw format, then you've got XML in a sense.
>
> I'm just confused. At the end of the day, I just want to know where the
> reality is, where the practical solution is, to having a database and
> showing your average web surfer the data they want in the way they want to
> see it, all within a pretty and easily modified (stylistically) web page.

ahe7440 (2)
7/26/2003 9:09:55 PM
"Marc Mickey." <ahe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes i have the feeling that dev people are kind of lemmings ( do y
> remember this game?) that use to follow what Microsoft or other major
> companies say. I'm very worry about this.

The Game is older than The Game Lemmings ;); The Tyrant rises into power by
the help of banana brain lemmings, then open data format (XML) comes into
rescue and the proletariat gets its revenge - the tyrant looses his head.
The world is filled with dance and joy for a while... until new tyrant
rises... and so on ;)

Seriously, one of the promises of XML has been than "open data format" that
can be processed after MS word etc. has mysteriously been forgotten (within
10 years?!) and nobody remembers MS anomore! This is kind of nice goal, this
"archive safe" data format, although sometimes it seems like the motion is
more important than the actual goal with all these "XML recommendations".

> 1/ Xml is useful to translate into several language a whole site. Your
> translator can quickly translate sentences between tags.
> 2/ It's a good solution if you're data will be read by several different
> softwares (flash, c#, java, whatever)

Yes, that's very true. If you must do translations or versions for different
clients,
XML format is very good choice

> 3/ it's easy to use because it's a simple file.
> Nevertheless, there are several programming layer before manipulating
datas.
> This is the only problem. You have to learn a lot to use xml .
> Don't think about xslt. This is not an interesting thing. If we use in
> dreamweaver, coldfusion or php , to build dynamic pages you don't need
xslt.

True. If one knows his/her SQL and server side programming layer (JSP,PHP
etc.), it might be good to stick with those.

> It's good if you're data are organized by levels and sub levels. For
> instance, you create a jazz members' association file.
> first level , name, surname, etc. but one entry, is a door to another
field
> lists. this entry will be musician informations with : bio-discography
> etc....
> Comparing to sql, xml can organized different datas which should be
recorded
> in different databases.

I'd say that database is the best tool for saving data, hierarchical or not.
We'll see if increasing database/XML integration or native XML databases
will REALLY help us lemmings someday or just make us more confused ;).

sorry about my evil english

Toni Uusitalo

Bob Foster wrote:

> "Sebastian Schaffert" <wastl@wastl.net> wrote in message
>> No. Existing parsers can be used, there are many available for free. In
>> addition, writing an XML parser is not at all difficult, it can easily be
>> done by first-year undergraduates.
>
> The things first-year undergraduates write are not XML parsers.
>
> Writing an XML parser is difficult.

If you restrict yourself to a "minimal XML" first, and leave out things like
attributes, processing instructions, namespaces and entities, it is pretty
straightforward, you even don't need to know much about parsing theory.

All you need is a very simple lexer (two states: element parsing, data
parsing). If you in addition want to check well-formedness, you'll need a
stack also, but that is optional. Adding attributes and namespaces is also
not that difficult.

--
Sebastian

PGP Key fingerprint =
       13 1D 2E 4F 20 3E C9 1F  4C 57 52 87 8A 80 48 4D  F5 E9 97 EC

0
wastl (6)
7/28/2003 8:46:42 PM
> Bob Foster wrote:
> > Writing an XML parser is difficult.
>
> If you restrict yourself to a "minimal XML" first, and leave out things
like
> attributes, processing instructions, namespaces and entities, it is pretty
> straightforward, you even don't need to know much about parsing theory.
>
> All you need is a very simple lexer (two states: element parsing, data
> parsing). If you in addition want to check well-formedness, you'll need a
> stack also, but that is optional. Adding attributes and namespaces is also
> not that difficult.

Yes, but there is no such thing as "minimal XML". There is only XML and
not-XML. Things that parse not-XML are not XML parsers. (Or maybe they are
not-XML parsers. ;-)

I understand what you are saying and I am sure undergraduates can be taught
to write a parser for something loosely approximating XML, but they should
also be taught that XML has a rather strict definition of what a parser must
do in order to call itself an "XML parser". That's all I'm saying.

Bob Foster

0
bobkfoster (82)

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

XML to XML conversion

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

XML to XML Transformation

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

[rfc-dist] RFC 6207 on The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 6207 Title: The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml Author: R. Denenberg, Ed. Status: Informational Stream: IETF Date: April 2011 Mailbox: rden@loc.gov Pages: 11 Characters: 18090 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-denenberg-mods-etc-media-types-03.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6207.txt This document specifies media types for the following formats: MODS (Metadata Object Description Schema), MADS (Metadata Authority Description Schema), METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard), MARCXML (MARC21 XML Schema), and the SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL Response Format) protocol response XML schema. These are all XML schemas providing representations of various forms of information including metadata and search results. This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. T...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

web.xml / XML schema issue, why do some XML schema attributes disappear
Hi I'm trying to get my j2ee app to run on Jboss (version 3.2.3), but Jboss complains there are some missing attributes in the web-app element. The attributes are present in the XML file, but they seem to be removed by the parser, also when I view the file in a web browser. My XML below (I have cut out a lot of stuff for the purpose of this post) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app xmlns="...

Installation of: XML-DOM-1.44, XML-Parser-2.36, XML-RSS-1.47, XML-Simple-2.18
- CPAN Forum Q&A, Installation of; -- XML-Writer-0.606 -- XML-DOM-1.44 -- XML-Simple-2.18 -- XML-RSS-1.47 -- XML-Parser-2.36 As concerns the installation of the four items above, these errors are continously flagged as an intervention to the process; XML-Simple-2.18, flagged: ======================== Checking installed modules... could not find ParseDetails.ini in C: \strawberry\perl\vendor\lib\xml\sax XML::Sax is installed, it will be used by the test suite Could not open 'lib/XML/Simple.pm': No such file or directory at C:/ strawberry/perl/lib/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm line 2627. --...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

Sort xml and output xml

html forms xml and xml
So I have been working on a little project and with the help of some folks here I have the xml and xsl part working nicely. Here is the link to the xml; <http://ocgweb.marine.usf.edu/c10B.xml> and the xsl; <http://ocgweb.marine.usf.edu/testds.xsl> As you can see I can change which Mooring Info is displayed by changing the select on line 9 of the xsl sheet. So I turned to working on my form where a user would select a specific mooring and then submit and the action= would pass the post value of the submit to the c10B.xml. Of course I found that this doesn't work and I googled all over the place trying to find a way to pass this single value to the xsl sheet so it knew which mooring to display. Then it occurred to me that I am not telling it to pass the value to the xsl sheet because I am telling it to go to the xml page. So I am a little confused here as to how exactly this would work and was hoping that someone might explain it to me and maybe point me in the right direction as to how I can accomplish this task. Keeping in mind that anything beyond basic right now will look like rocket science to me. Thanks, Patrick -- Patrick A. Smith Assistant System Administrator Ocean Circulation Group � USF - College of Marine Science http://ocgweb.marine.usf.edu Phone: 727 553-3334 The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was. - La Rochefoucauld Patrick wrote: > So I turn...

XML to XML using XSL

Xml to Xml transform problem

Generate xml and to existing xml
Hi, We have the following xml that needs to be generated for 200 users. <wopi:createUser> <typ:WOUser> <typ:id> <typ:serviceProviderId>AOne</typ:serviceProviderId> <typ:companyId>Acme</typ:companyId> <typ:userId>Alice</typ:userId> </typ:id> <typ:sipAddress>sip:alice@mydomain.com</typ:sipAddress> <typ:firstName>Alice</typ:firstName> <typ:lastName>Wonderland</typ:lastName> </typ:WOUser> </wopi:createUser> ServiceProviderId and companyId will be the same but I need to generate a user like: user001 user002 user003 and so on... So I will generate a <wopi:createUser>-Node for each user. Then I have to add this into the existing xml document where we create the serviceProvider and company. I am using java 1.5 and I wonder if you have any advice to me in this matter on how to implement it. cheers, //mike ...

XML Validation From XML Schema
I am trying to validate a XML file from java according to a XML Schema and get a list of all elements that fail validation. I am utilizing a class that implements the ErrorHandler interface and can generate the list if all errors. The problem is that I need to send back the XPath of the offending elements. The data in the message field of the ErrorHandler is not the complete XPath. Does anyone have a solution of this problem? MJ ...

XML diff/XML patch
Hi, I'm looking for a tool which can build XML patch files and then apply them. Specifically, I'd like the patches to be applied in an associative fashion, so if I have a patch that does A->B and a patch that does A->C, I'd like to be able to apply both patches to A in either order. I know that this can't be done in the general case, but I'd like a tool which will try and fail if it isn't possible. I also need it to be namespace aware. Yes, I want the moon on a stick. I've looked at the obvious tools in Google land and a lot of them seem to be immature or untouched for years. I've started poking around in these, but I wondered whether anybody had any direct experience. Thanks in advance, Peter psaffrey@googlemail.com wrote: > I've looked at the obvious tools in Google land and a lot of them seem > to be immature or untouched for years. I've started poking around in > these, but I wondered whether anybody had any direct experience. Check whether the following tool meets your requirements: <URL:http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa302295.aspx> -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ Martin Honnen wrote: > psaffrey@googlemail.com wrote: > >> I've looked at the obvious tools in Google land and a lot of them seem >> to be immature or untouched for years. I've started poking around in >> these, but I wondered whether anybody had any direct experience. > >...

Sort xml and write to xml

New to XML : What is XML Application ?
Hi All, While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as configuration file and other 'low-level' application. Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business application that make use of XML ? ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? Thank you for your help, Krist XML is a language to �mark up� structured contents. You could e.g. convert database contents into XML. The special benefit is its tree-like hierarchical structure. Roger "Krist" <xtanto@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cb48a3b.0503152315.29e8d51@posting.google.com... > Hi All, > > While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as > configuration file and other 'low-level' application. > > Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business > application that make use of XML ? > ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? > > Thank you for your help, > Krist Krist wrote: > Hi All, > > While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as > configuration file and other 'low-level' application. > > Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business > application that make use of XML ? > ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? > > Thank you for your help, > Krist Several applications of ours use XML: One uses XML to send data from an RDBMS to a server which again uses XSL to generate XHTML. This is an online travel shopping site. Another uses t...

Web resources about - To XML or not to XML? - comp.text.xml

XML - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
including RSS , Atom , SOAP , and XHTML . XML-based formats have become the default for many office-productivity tools, including Microsoft Office ...

Native XML Database
(by Conor O'Mahony) If you want to learn more about XML indexes in DB2, including the XML index enhancements in DB2 10 , join the DB2 pureXML ...

XML From the Inside Out XML development, XML resources, XML specifications
XML.com, where the XML community shares XML development resources and solutions, features timely news, opinions, features, and tutorials; the ...

XML developer news from XMLhack: by and for the XML community
XML developer news from XMLhack: by and for the XML community

XML Design Patterns
XMLPatterns.com - Designing Good XML Structure with Patterns.

Create your Google Sitemap Online - XML Sitemaps Generator
... Google Sitemap Generator You will be redirected to the generated sitemap details page, including number of pages, broken links list, XML file ...

The XML C parser and toolkit of Gnome
"Programmingwith libxml2 is like the thrilling embrace of an exotic stranger." MarkPilgrim Libxml2 is the XML C parser and toolkit developed ...

Legislative Documents in XML at the United States House of Representatives
Official site for XML at the United Steates House of Representatives for legislative documents

faroo_p2p: Our Web Search API now supports cross domain access for JSON, XML and RSS via CORS (Cross-Origin ...
faroo_p2p: Our Web Search API now supports cross domain access for JSON, XML and RSS via CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing). http://t.

XML and JSON — Advantages and Disadvantages?
... Notation (JSON), and after looking it up, it seems like it's becoming rather popular as an alternative to the Extensible Markup Language (XML). I ...