What, exactly, is the 'qualified name' in a DTD declaration?

The documentation for org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementation.createDocumentType says
helpfully:

  public DocumentType createDocumentType(java.lang.String qualifiedName,
                                       java.lang.String publicId,
                                       java.lang.String systemId)
                                throws DOMException

and goes on to explain:

  Parameters:
        qualifiedNameThe - qualified name of the document type to be created.

On a 'monkey see, monkey do' basis I've been supplying the string 'html'
for XHTML documents, and since I've not generated DTD declarations when
generating other kinds of documents not thought any more about it. But
what does the 'qualified name' mean, and in what way is it 'qualified'? In
particular, how does one establish what the correct qualified name is for
a particular public id, private id pair - or doesn't it matter? Could I
just use 'froboz' and have it all still work?

If it does matter, is 'html' actually right?

        ;; So, before proceeding with definitive screwing, choose the
        ;; position most congenital.
                        -- instructions for fitting bicycle handlebars

0
simon41 (349)

In article <1tq2d4-vnt.ln1@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk>,
Simon Brooke  <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:

>  Parameters:
>        qualifiedNameThe - qualified name of the document type to be created.

Presumably it's the name of the top-level element; as in

  <!DOCTYPE name [...]>

"Qualified" means that it's a QName - it can have a namespace prefix -
though namespaces are not well-supported by DTDs.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
0
richard91 (3692)
3/19/2007 5:15:39 PM
in message <etmgfr$2mv2$1@pc-news.cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, Richard Tobin
('richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk') wrote:

> In article <1tq2d4-vnt.ln1@gododdin.internal.jasmine.org.uk>,
> Simon Brooke  <simon@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>  Parameters:
>>        qualifiedNameThe - qualified name of the document type to be
>>        created.
>
> Presumably it's the name of the top-level element; as in
>
>   <!DOCTYPE name [...]>

That's my guess too. Can I rely on that? If so, would it be reasonable to
have a hashmap that mapped from top-level elements to public/system ids,
and cache them as seen?

        ;; Drivers in the UK kill more people every single year than
        ;; Al Qaeda have ever killed worldwide in any single year.
0
simon41 (349)
3/19/2007 8:32:04 PM
The only usage of "qualified name" that I know of in the XML world is
indeed the one defined by the XML Namespaces spec.

> If so, would it be reasonable to
> have a hashmap that mapped from top-level elements to public/system ids,
> and cache them as seen?

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're asking whether the
public/system ID can be stored along with a particular cached document
-- sure, that's a legitimate part of the XML Infoset. If you're asking
whether a given top-level element name will always have the same
public/system IDs, emphatically not, since that depends on how the
individual document was retrieved and what its contents are... and, if
you're going to do namespace-aware processing, on which namespace the
prefix part of that URI was bound to.

But I suspect I've misunderstood your question.

In article <45fefcc0$1@kcnews01>,
Joseph Kesselman  <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're asking whether the
>public/system ID can be stored along with a particular cached document
>-- sure, that's a legitimate part of the XML Infoset. If you're asking
>whether a given top-level element name will always have the same
>public/system IDs, emphatically not

Nor is the reverse true: many DTDs are written with a particular
top-level element in mind, but there is no way to require it - you can
write a perfectly DTD-valid document using the XHTML public and system
IDs that has <p> as its top-level element:

<!DOCTYPE p PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

- which only goes to show that validation isn't everything.

-- Richard
in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
0
richard91 (3692)
3/19/2007 10:30:10 PM
in message <45fefcc0$1@kcnews01>, Joseph Kesselman
('keshlam-nospam@comcast.net') wrote:

> The only usage of "qualified name" that I know of in the XML world is
> indeed the one defined by the XML Namespaces spec.
>
>> If so, would it be reasonable to
>> have a hashmap that mapped from top-level elements to public/system ids,
>> and cache them as seen?
>
> I'm not sure what you're asking. If you're asking whether the
> public/system ID can be stored along with a particular cached document
> -- sure, that's a legitimate part of the XML Infoset. If you're asking
> whether a given top-level element name will always have the same
> public/system IDs, emphatically not, since that depends on how the
> individual document was retrieved and what its contents are... and, if
> you're going to do namespace-aware processing, on which namespace the
> prefix part of that URI was bound to.
>
> But I suspect I've misunderstood your question.

No, I regret to confess you did not.

        ;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.
0
simon41 (349)

'is not' or '!='
A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements like: if x is not None: and if x != None: Without any context, which one should be preferred? IMHO, the latter is more readable. On 2014-08-18 21:35, ElChino wrote: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: > > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. > "x == y" tells you whether x and y refer to objects that are equal. "x is y" tells you whether x and y actually refer to the same object. In the case of singletons like None (there's only one None object), it's better to use "is". "ElChino" <elchino@cnn.cn>: > A newbie question to you; what is the difference between statements > like: > if x is not None: > and > if x != None: Do the following: take two $10 bills. Hold one bill in the left hand, hold the other bill in the right hand. Now, the bill in the left hand "is not" the bill in the right hand. However, the bill in the left hand "==" the bill in the right hand. > Without any context, which one should be preferred? > IMHO, the latter is more readable. In almost all cases, both tests would result in the same behavior. However, the "is not" test is conceptually the correct one since you want...

'^=' and '~='?

Controlling the text in plot 'xyz' title 'text'

'''''''''''''The Running Update/Append Queries Using VBA code Ordeal'''''''''''''' #2
Hi, Thanks for ur help there HJ. I know how to do the tasks you specified there. I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. please help. Aaron Hi Aaron, Could you post the entire code that you are having trouble with? Now it is not possible to see what goes wrong. HJ "Aaron" <aaron@rapid-motion.co.uk> wrote in message news:260d7f40.0408120245.2f3d01f8@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > Thanks for ur help there HJ. > > I know how to do the tasks you specified there. > > I would like for the update query to use field values from some of the > fields on the form (frmInvoices) such as InvoiceNumber, DateFrom, > DateTo. My problem is that an append/update query can't find the > values in the open Form (frmInvoices) when I specify them as; > > [Forms]![frmInvoices]![InvoiceNumber] > > a select query has no problem finding the field values on a form. > > please help. > > Aaron First off, if you are not always using all the parameters specified in your form, then you have to add parameters to your query on the fly. Also, you can't just do something like qdf.SQL = "SE...

if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ?
Hi, there. =20 I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this line : if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.')=20 =20 Igor Kurbeko Clinical Programmer Analyst 678 336 4328 ikurbeko@atherogenics.com =20 no brain no pain =20 how about: if not (str_mo in ('','.') or str_da in ('','.') or str_yy in ('','.')) OR if not (missing(str_mo) or missing(str_da) or missing(str_yy)) Eric On 22 Oct 03 21:13:37 GMT, ikurbeko@ATHER...

using find to rename from 'name .ext' to 'name.ext'
I have many directories full of files that have a space before the extension: file .txt file2 .txt file3 .txt I'm trying to use find and sed to rename them quckly to: file.txt file2.txt file3.txt Gleaned from the web I came up with osmething like this, but the names are not fixed: find . -name '* .mp3' -exec mv {} {} \; | sed 's/[:space:].txt$/.txt/' is this close? Chris Lott <Chris.Lott@gmail.com>: [...] > file .txt [...] > I'm trying to use find and sed to rename them quckly to: > file.txt [...] How about: [snip] find . -name "* .txt&quo...

A function with 'and' , 'not' , 'null' , 'car' and 'cdr'
What's this ? (defun enigma (x) (and (not (null x)) (or (null (car x)) (enigma (cdr x))))) "I suppose I should learn Lisp, but it seems so foreign." - Paul Graham, Nov 1983 On Wed, Oct 07 2015, CAI GENGYANG wrote: > What's this ? > > > (defun enigma (x) > (and (not (null x)) > (or (null (car x)) > (enigma (cdr x))))) Bad taste? It returns T if the list X contains nil as an element. It would be clearer to write (some #'null x). Helmut CAI GENGYANG ...

error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attrib
Hi I'm trying to compile an ADC Driver & come acrosss the following error. I've no experience writing drivers before, and hence have no clue how to fix it. Hope someone out there has encountered the problem & suggesst a fix for the same. The Error is I get is : qadc.c: At top level: qadc.c:97: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'qadc_read' make: *** [qadc.o] Error 1 [root@localhost qadc]# ########################################################################### ADC Driver Code ##...

replacement for '{' and '}' ?
I am still playing around with what kind of syntax I would like to mark up my documents. Are there equivalent long substitutes for { and } when they are not used to describe arguments to functions? Something like \begin{group} and \end{group}. In other words, if I could force myself to write, say, \begin{group} \it ... \end{group} instead of {\it ... }, then I believe I could identify from the markup context what is an argument that belongs to a just invoked macro and what is text. {Of course, in this context, \textit{...} would be better.} No more ambiguity whether a in \myfunction{a} is an argument or just text. Is there a way to make latex barf when it sees an ordinary '{' in text, rather than \begin{group}, but not barf when I want it (to denote macro arguments)? Regards, /iaw On Aug 16, 6:01=A0pm, "ivo...@gmail.com" <ivo...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to make latex barf when it sees an ordinary '{' in > text, rather than \begin{group}, but not barf when I want it (to > denote macro arguments)? What do you mean exactly? I don't understand. Do you have in mind your- to-be-new-syntax or just regular latex? Cheers, Tomek ivowel@gmail.com wrote: > I am still playing around with what kind of syntax I would like to > mark up my documents. > > Are there equivalent long substitutes for { and } when they are not > used to describe arguments to functions? Something like \begin{group} > and \end{gr...

Override 'and' and 'or'
Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for binary manipulation... any proposals? Have marvelous sunday, Marco Dekker <m.aschwanden@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to override 'and' and/or 'or'? I cannot find a special > method for it... __and__ and __rand__ and __or__ and __ror__ are for > binary manipulation... any proposals? If you want to customize the truth value testing you have to implement __nonzero__ " __nonzero__( self) Call...

'[OFF]' as in 'offensive'???
Hi, given that 'off-topicness' is indicated as '[OT]' and taking a look at those postings that started the threads indicated as '[OFF]' (which may both be seen as being somewhat offensive) may lead to the conclusion that '[OFF]' stands for offensiveness. I don't think that this is the intended meaning so what actually *does* '[OFF]' mean? I never came across that abbreviation before (although I have been around on the USENET for quite some time) but maybe it is worth knowing? Josef 'Jupp' Schugt NOTE: mails >100 KiB ...

Difference between 'is' and '=='
Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when should we use '=='? Thanks alot~ mwql: >Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the >result anywhere online. When is the right time to use 'is' and when >should we use '=='? http://docs.python.org/ref/comparisons.html -- Ren´┐Ż Pijlman mwql wrote: > Hey guys, this maybe a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the > result anywhere online. When is the right time to ...

Does '!=' equivelent to 'is not'
I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" if a != b: ... if a is not b: ... What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? pirata wrote: > I'm a bit confusing about whether "is not" equivelent to "!=" > > if a != b: > ... > > if a is not b: > ... > > > What's the difference between "is not" and "!=" or they are the same thing? No, they are not the same thing. == and != test to see if the *value* of two variables are the same. Like so: >>> a = 'hello world' >>> b = 'hello world' >>> a == b True a and b both have the value of 'hello world', so they are equal is and is not, however, do not test for value equivalence, they test for object identity. In other words, they test to see if the object the two variables reference are the same object in memory, like so: >>> a is b False a and b are assigned to two different objects that happen to have the same value, but nevertheless there are two separate 'hello world' objects in memory, and therefore you cannot say that a *is* b Now look at this: >>> c = d = 'hello world' >>> c == d True >>> c is d True In this case, they are again the same value, but now the is test also shows that they are the same *object* as well, because...

logical to 'on' / 'off'
Hi, is there a function implemented doing this conversion? my Problem is, that I want to use the following code: set(handles.edit_curr_trq_sl,'Enable',get(hObject,'Value')) where get(hObject,'Value') gives the state of a checkbox thank you! function [str]=tf2oo(logic) switch logic case 0 str='off'; case 1 str='on'; end%switch end%function tf2oo() while i do not know a built in function, I use my own:) meisterbartsch wrote: > > > function [str]=tf2oo(logic) > switch logic > case 0 > str='off'; &g...

'!' vs. '.'
Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen (in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. Here's one opinion for you: http://doc.advisor.com/doc/05352 robert.waters wrote: >Is there an advantage to using the '!' notation to represent form/ >control relationships? (eg. Me!text1 vs Me.text1) > >I am currently using the '.' notation exclusively (for code completion >in the VB Editor), but much of the high-quality code that I've seen >(in Duane Hookom's Query-by-Form db, for example) uses the other. -- HTH - RuralGuy (RG for short) acXP WinXP Pro Please post back to this forum so all may benefit. Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/databases-ms-access/200704/1 Here's my $0.02 worth on this. I tend to copy the notation style and naming conventions that I see being used in the Help files. That would be Me![text1] for a control on a form. I am of the belief that this notation explicitly refers to a control itself rather than a field in the form's recordset. Here's an example: I have a parts inventory app that uses a "Line" code, which is usually a 3-character abbreviation for a brand name, and is the na...

difference between ',' and 'a,'
Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? Thanks Should be the same, in gforth: see , : , here cell allot ! ; ok see a, : , here cell allot ! ; ok On Friday, January 9, 2015 at 5:46:04 AM UTC-8, beeflo wrote: > Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > > I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? > > Thanks beeflo <beeflobill@gmail.com> writes: >Small question. In gforth is there a difference between the words ',' and 'a,'? > >I'm thinking not, so perhaps another question, why have both ',' and 'a,'? In Gforth itself, there is no difference. In Gforth's cross compiler, "a," is there for addresses, and "," is there for other cells; addresses can then be relocated when loading the image. - anton -- M. Anton Ertl http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/anton/home.html comp.lang.forth FAQs: http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/forth/faq/toc.html New standard: http://www.forth200x.org/forth200x.html EuroForth 2014: http://www.euroforth.org/ef14/ ...

'a'..'z'
Is it possible to achieve something like this? switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { case 'a'..'z': // do something break; } "cruster" <cruster@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1151319731.988814.326200@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to achieve something like this? > > switch (mystring.charAt(0)) { > case 'a'..'z': > // do something > break; > } > There are times when an if statement may be more appropriate ;) Sorry - java is not VB :) -- LTP :) cruster schreef: > Is it possible to achieve somethi...

Replacing ',' with '.'
Hello, I have a huge amount of numbers in a .txt file. The numbers are in the form 2,43252e+1. I need to replace the , with . How should I do this? I'd prefer some import method that does this during the import procedure. -Janne Hi, I guess you import the data as text and convert it then to numbers. Try 'strrep' before you convert the text to numbers. Tobias Jake the Snake schrieb: > Hello, > > I have a huge amount of numbers in a .txt file. The numbers are in the form 2,43252e+1. I need to replace the , with . How should I do this? I'd prefer some import method...

We Are Selling The Nextel I930 For Just $130usd'''''''''''
Dear Customer We have all brands of Mobile Phones,Ipods,Sidekicks,Nextel phone,Laptops for sell at cheap an affordable prices, they ranges from Nokia/Samsung/LG/Son Ericsson/Motorola/Alcatel/panasonic With Bluetooth, al Brands and Models of Nextel Phones, we want you to get bac to us with your quote so that we can begin a good busines relationship. Note they are all Brand New T2 Euro specs unlocked, no operator logo, come in thei original sealed box, With 1 year international warrant from the manufacturer, English & Spanish manual, Finlan made We want to assure you that you will never r...

what's the difference between 'named pipe' and 'unnamed pipe'?
I wanna run a program 'program', with 'input.dat' as input data, and output 'output.dat' 1, named pipe $ mkfifo fifo $ cat input.dat > fifo $ program fifo -output output.dat 2, unnamed pipe cat < input.dat | xargs program -output output.dat - so do they both work? and give same result? - what if the 'program' cannot read input from stdin? Thanks ...

Re: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy not in ('','.') Any shorter ? #2
Igor, There are many ways to make it more concise, however the parsimony is likely to be achieved at the expense of clarity. For instance, the expressions length ( input (mm||dd||yy, $10.) ) > 2 length ( compress(mm||dd||yy, ' .') ) > 2 and like might be somewhat shorter than the original, but they will execute slower, and their intent is far less eminent. Since it appears that you are trying to validate the components of a date, maybe it is not a worthless idea to try the date informat conforming to the mask you are testing. Say if all the pieces are 2-digit, the expression input (mm||dd||yy, ?? mmddyy6.) will return a missing value for the case you are testing and also if any irregularities in the input value that prevent it from being interpreted as a valid date should be found. And if you want a note in the log to alert you about it, leave one of the question marks off. Kind regards, ================= Paul M. Dorfman Jacksonville, FL ================= >From: Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENICS.COM> >Reply-To: Igor Kurbeko <ikurbeko@ATHEROGENICS.COM> >To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU >Subject: if str_mo not in ('','.') and str_da not in ('','.') and str_yy > not in ('','.') Any shorter ? >Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 17:13:37 -0400 > >Hi, there. > > > >I'm just curious if it ever dawned on anybody how to abbreviate this >line : > >if ...

TSQL: I want to use a SELECT statement with COUNT(*) AS 'name' and ORDER BY 'name'
I am very new to Transact-SQL programming and don't have a programming background and was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. I have a SELECT statement SELECT FIXID, COUNT(*) AS IOIs and want to ORDER BY 'IOI's'. I have been combing through the BOL, but I don't even know what topic/heading this would fall under. USE INDII SELECT FIXID, COUNT(*) AS IOIs FROM [dbo].[IOI_2005_03_03] GROUP BY FIXID ORDER BY FIXID I know that it is a simple question, but perhaps someone could assist me. Thanks, Try ORDER BY COUNT(*) instead of ORDER BY FIXID. -...

Having this description column in a table "Cookies, peanut butter sandwich, regular" When using this WHERE clause: WHERE (((Food_Data.Description) Like "*Butter*" & "*Peanut*")); I dont get any results, however when using it this way round WHERE (((Food_Data.Description) Like "*Peanut*" & "*Butter*")); I get the row as expected. I assume that the query looks for them in order. Is there a way i can get around this and make the query search for both keywords no matter which order i ype them in. Thanks Dave [posted and mail...

We Are Selling The Samsung D500 For Just $189usd'''''''''
Dear Customer We have all brands of Mobile Phones,Ipods,Sidekicks,Nextel phone,Laptops for sell at cheap an affordable prices, they ranges from Nokia/Samsung/LG/Son Ericsson/Motorola/Alcatel/panasonic With Bluetooth, al Brands and Models of Nextel Phones, we want you to get bac to us with your quote so that we can begin a good busines relationship. Note they are all Brand New T2 Euro specs unlocked, no operator logo, come in thei original sealed box, With 1 year international warrant from the manufacturer, English & Spanish manual, Finlan made We want to assure you that you will never r...

Web resources about - What, exactly, is the 'qualified name' in a DTD declaration? - comp.text.xml