XML Newbie Alert! FOR XML EXPLICIT help please

Apologies for the newbie question. I have read and re-read about FOR XML
EXPLICIT and now my head hurts!

This is an example of the XML I am trying to form from a very simple SQL
table:

<Record>
<RecordHeader>
<HeaderData>HeaderStuff</HeaderData>
<HeaderData2>HeaderStuff</HeaderData2>
</RecordHeader>
<RecordBody>
<Body Data>BodyStuff</BodyData>
<Body Data2>BodyStuff</BodyData2>
</RecordBody>
</Record>

<Record>
<RecordHeader>
<HeaderData>HeaderStuff</HeaderData>
<HeaderData2>HeaderStuff</HeaderData2>
</RecordHeader>
<RecordBody>
<Body Data>BodyStuff</BodyData>
<Body Data2>BodyStuff</BodyData2>
</RecordBody>
</Record>

I have tried many variants of:

select 1 as tag, NULL as parent, HeaderStuff AS [RecordHeader!1!HeaderData!
element], HeaderStuff2 AS [RecordHeader!1!HeaderData2!element],
BodyStuff [RecordBody!1!BodyData!element],BodyStuff2 [RecordBody!1!
BodyData2!element]
FROM tbl_test
FOR XML EXPLICIT

But am getting nowhere.
I realise I am redeclaring XML tag ID1, but other variants I try are not
much better!.

Also, how do I get the <Record></Record> ?

Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance if you can spare a minute for someone who needs help!

iamaran <iamaranNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in

<snip>

So now I'm doing something along the lines of:

SELECT Tag = 1, Parent = NULL,
[Record!1!] = NULL,
[RecordHeader!2!] = NULL,
[RecordHeader!2!HeaderData] = NULL,
[RecordHeader!2!HeaderData2] = NULL,
[RecordBody!3!] = NULL,
[RecordBody!3!BodyData] = NULL,
[RecordBody!3!BodyData2] = NULL

UNION ALL

SELECT Tag = 2, Parent = 1,
[Record!1!] = NULL,
[RecordHeader!2!] = NULL,
[RecordHeader!2!HeaderData] = aaa,
[RecordHeader!2!HeaderData2] = bbb,
[RecordBody!3!] = NULL,
[RecordBody!3!BodyData] = NULL,
[RecordBody!3!BodyData2] = NULL

FROM tbl_test
UNION ALL

SELECT Tag = 3, Parent = 1,
[Record!1!] = NULL,
[RecordHeader!2!] = NULL,
[RecordHeader!2!HeaderData] = NULL,
[RecordHeader!2!HeaderData2] = NULL,
[RecordBody!3!] = NULL,
[RecordBody!3!BodyData] = ccc,
[RecordBody!3!BodyData2] = ddd

FROM tbl_test
FOR XML EXPLICIT

and that a lot better. But instead of getting:

<Record>
<RecordHeader>
<HeaderData>HeaderStuff</HeaderData>
<HeaderData2>HeaderStuff</HeaderData2>
</RecordHeader>
<RecordBody>
<Body Data>BodyStuff</BodyData>
<Body Data2>BodyStuff</BodyData2>
</RecordBody>
</Record>
<Record>
<RecordHeader>
<HeaderData>HeaderStuff</HeaderData>
</Record>

I'm getting
<Record>
<RecordHeader>
<HeaderData>HeaderStuff</HeaderData>
<HeaderData2>HeaderStuff</HeaderData2>
</RecordHeader>
<RecordHeader>
<HeaderData>HeaderStuff</HeaderData>
<HeaderData2>HeaderStuff</HeaderData2>
</RecordHeader>
<RecordBody>
<Body Data>BodyStuff</BodyData>
<Body Data2>BodyStuff</BodyData2>
</RecordBody>
<RecordBody>
<Body Data>BodyStuff</BodyData>
<Body Data2>BodyStuff</BodyData2>
</RecordBody>
</Record>

Can anyone help at all? Thanks.

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

XML to XML newbee help

PHP XML-XML curl function not working. Please help
Hi Everyone, I'm trying to get the following php script to work with an ebay API. It sends XML and then returns XML and formats it into links. THing is it doesn;t work, and I'm not sure why. Can anyone see where I'm going wrong? Thank you in advance, Raj <?php $query = 'ipod'; $endpoint = 'http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?'; $resp = simplexml_load_string(constructPostCallAndGetResponse($endpoint, $query)); if ($resp) { $results = ''; foreach($resp->Item as $item) { $link = $item->ViewItemURLForNaturalSearch; $tit...

Help on including one XML document within another XML document using XML Schemas
Hi I would like to specify an XML schema that would allow an XML document to be included within another XML document. The following example schema gives an idea of what we're trying to achieve ServiceResponse.xsd -------------------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" elementFormDefault="qualified" attributeFormDefault="unqualified"> <xs:element name="serviceResponse" type="ServiceResponse"/> <xs:complexType name="ServiceResponse"> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="anXMLDocument" type="xs:string"/> <xs:element name="someOtherData" type="xs:string"/> </xs:sequence> </xs:complexType> </xs:schema> The element anXMLDocument would contain an XML data string that would be parsed against a different XML Schema. The identity of the XML Schema for parsing anXMLDocument is not known at the time the ServiceResponse XML is parsed. Previously when we used DTDs we used inline CDATA wrappers around the contained XML document to avoid it being parsed. Can we still continue to use inline CDATA wrappers around the XML data when we parse against XML schemas? I've tried looking into the XML Schema specs but the mention of CDATA seems a bit sparse and doesn't seem to answer the question. If we can't use an inline CDATA wrapper i...

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

XML to XML Transformation

XML to XML conversion

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

Newbie: XML 2 XML and namespaces
Hi, newbie needs help... My from XML has a namespace defined with no prefix. I tried to create a XSL that converts this from XML to another one. I tried it without that namespace and with that namespace. No matter what I try, I can't get this to work. The only time I succeed is when deleting the namespace in the from XML file. But that's no option... Inserted below are a sample XML and XSL file and both have the name spaces. Can someone please point me in the right direction: how to get the XSL to work with that namespace declaration in the XML. Thanks, Mark ============================================= XML ============================================= <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <Report xmlns="urn:crystal-reports:schemas" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="urn:crystal-reports:schemas Untitled.xsd" > <Details_1 SectionNumber="0"> <Klanten.Klantnummer FieldName="{Klanten.Klantnummer}">ALFKI</Klanten.Klantnummer> <Klanten.Bedrijf FieldName="{Klanten.Bedrijf}">Alfreds Futterkiste</Klanten.Bedrijf> <Klanten.Contactpersoon FieldName="{Klanten.Contactpersoon}">Maria Anders</Klanten.Contactpersoon> <Klanten.Functie FieldName="{Klanten.Functie}">Vertegenwoordiger</Klanten.Functie> <Klanten.Adres FieldName="{Klanten.Adres}">Obere Str....

no tags in my xml-to-xml transformation, help....
my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just text like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and still there are no xml tags in the output. Has anyone seen this before? Any help much appreciated.... Yannick yannicklaclau wrote: > my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just > text like this: > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... > > I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no > match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. > > But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and > still there are no xml tags in the output. > > Has anyone seen this before? We do not need to guess, try to reduce to the minimum necessary to show the problem, then post the relevant XML and XSLT here, and tell us which XSLT processor you use. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ Ok, false alarm. As I suspected, it was a newbie issue. In case anyone else has this problem, the solution is to use copy-of instead of value-of. Pretty self-explanatory: value-of will output the va...

XML to XML looping problem (newbie)
Hello, I have XML source to map to XML output. I am having trouble getting the XSL to loop through the entire XML until it reaches the end. This is an ASN for a Customer and I am getting the first ASN in my output, but can't get it to continue to next <CUSTASN> and so on until the end. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Source is like this and repeats starting with <CUSTASN> until the end of all shipment data: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <CUSTASN> <SUPPID>8840 </SUPPID> <DUNSNO>141 </DUNSNO> <PLTNME>ACUNA 141 </PLTNME> <GRWGT>32</GRWGT> <CONTDE>CTN90</CONTDE> <CQTY>1</CQTY> <SHPDTE>2006-12-07</SHPDTE> <F3WRBT>3747040 00 </F3WRBT> <USR20C>I202723 </USR20C> <TODAY>2006-12-12</TODAY> <PONO>600777 </PONO> <POLIN>89 </POLIN> <CPART>213256 </CPART> <ENGREV>0 </ENGREV> <UOFMM>EA </UOFMM> <RELNO>1205060924</RELNO> <RLSDTE>2006-11-21</RLSDTE> <QTYSHP>400</QTYSHP> <SHPDTE01>2006-12-07</SHPDTE01> </CUSTASN> .......repeats with next <CUSTASN> until end of XML..... Target is this format (based on Customer requirement): <?xm...

[rfc-dist] RFC 6207 on The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 6207 Title: The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml Author: R. Denenberg, Ed. Status: Informational Stream: IETF Date: April 2011 Mailbox: rden@loc.gov Pages: 11 Characters: 18090 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-denenberg-mods-etc-media-types-03.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6207.txt This document specifies media types for the following formats: MODS (Metadata Object Description Schema), MADS (Metadata Authority Description Schema), METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard), MARCXML (MARC21 XML Schema), and the SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL Response Format) protocol response XML schema. These are all XML schemas providing representations of various forms of information including metadata and search results. This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. T...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

web.xml / XML schema issue, why do some XML schema attributes disappear
Hi I'm trying to get my j2ee app to run on Jboss (version 3.2.3), but Jboss complains there are some missing attributes in the web-app element. The attributes are present in the XML file, but they seem to be removed by the parser, also when I view the file in a web browser. My XML below (I have cut out a lot of stuff for the purpose of this post) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app xmlns="...

Installation of: XML-DOM-1.44, XML-Parser-2.36, XML-RSS-1.47, XML-Simple-2.18
- CPAN Forum Q&A, Installation of; -- XML-Writer-0.606 -- XML-DOM-1.44 -- XML-Simple-2.18 -- XML-RSS-1.47 -- XML-Parser-2.36 As concerns the installation of the four items above, these errors are continously flagged as an intervention to the process; XML-Simple-2.18, flagged: ======================== Checking installed modules... could not find ParseDetails.ini in C: \strawberry\perl\vendor\lib\xml\sax XML::Sax is installed, it will be used by the test suite Could not open 'lib/XML/Simple.pm': No such file or directory at C:/ strawberry/perl/lib/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm line 2627. --...

Generate xml node tree from xmi (xml) help
Hi, I am using argouml ( really neat UML modeling tool) to create a model. I export the model to xmi format ( it's xml). My UML-diagram looks like this: Brand A | -------------------- | | | Brand B Brand C Brand D And Brand B, Brand C and Brand D can also have children and so on ......... I need to generate an xml file that can describe these relationships like: <MyModel> <Brand A> <Brand B> </Brand B> <Brand C> </Brand C> <Brand D> </Brand D> </Brand A> </MyModel> I am thinking of checking the children for root (Brand A) and generate TAGs for each node. Then I make the first node to the left (Brand B) the parent get all children for that one. Any one with hints on how I can do this in xslt. I need some sort of traversing to get the tree right? Regards, //Mikael -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Mikael P wrote: > Hi, > > I am using argouml ( really neat UML modeling tool) to create a model. I > export the model to > xmi format ( it's xml). Try posting that XML . . Soren -- Fjern de 4 bogstaver i min mailadresse som er indsat for at hindre s... Remove the 4 letter word meaning "junk mail" in my mail address. ...

Help with passing xml tags within an xml file
Let's say I have the following tags in an xml: <World> <Country>Canada</Country> <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere> <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow"> <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py Canada North snow</CommandAction> </Weather> </World> The CommandAction tag will invoke some python script which takes Country Hemisphere and forecast as parameters. Is there a way to generalize the CommandAction tag so that it can look something like the following: <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py <Country> <Hemisphere> <forecast></CommandAction> I'm not very experienced with xml and I would like to know if the above is a proper way of doing what I want. Any help please? Thanks Thierry Thierry wrote: > Let's say I have the following tags in an xml: > > > <World> > <Country>Canada</Country> > <Hemisphere>North</Hemisphere> > <Weather climate="cold" forecast="snow"> > <CommandAction>$(HOME)\calculate.py Canada North > snow</CommandAction> > </Weather> > </World> > > The CommandAction tag will invoke some python script which takes > Country Hemisphere and forecast as parameters. Is there a way to > generalize the CommandAction tag so that it can look something like the > following: &g...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

Web resources about - XML Newbie Alert! FOR XML EXPLICIT help please - comp.text.xml

Implicit and explicit atheism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Explicit atheists have considered the idea of deities and have rejected belief that any exist. Implicit atheists thus either have not given the ...

Explicit Sharing - Facebook-Entwickler
Explicitly shared actions let apps notify us when a user wants to share something prominently, like...

Guardian takes Facebook integration to its own site, focuses on explicit sharing
... that give users more ways to give feedback on articles, which will then be shared to Facebook if they desire. This is a move toward explicit ...

Parental Advisory: Explicit Semantics! - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
From Michel Dumontiers presentation, slide 13, quote: "OWL has explicit semantics and can therefore be used to capture knowledge in a machine ...

An Indecent Proposal from Sarah Silverman (explicit) - YouTube
Casino magnate Sheldon Adelson has committed $100 million to defeat Barack Obama. Sarah Silverman has a proposal for him... produced by Barnacle ...

Shaun Kenny-Dowall: Jessica Peris sent Roosters star explicit text messages during relationship - DailyTelegraph ...
THE alleged victim of seven domestic assaults by NRL star Shaun Kenny-Dowall was ­offered a $20,000 car from a “third party” before she made ...

... if they want to appear on the show. Potential contestants on the next season of Ten’s dating series must reveal their sexual history in explicit ...

Cricket South Africa's Facebook page hacked, bombarded with explicit content
Cricket South Africa has apologised after its official Facebook page was hacked, subjecting fans to over a dozen sexually explicit posts in the ...

3 Newtown High School students arrested over sexually explicit photos
Police say three Newtown High School students have been arrested and dozens more face community service for taking sexually explicit videos and ...

Teen sues TV station after it aired explicit footage from blackmail YouTube video
(credit: NURV.com ) A South Carolina teenager has sued a Colorado television station over allegations the station broadcasted a picture of his ...