xml to delimited text

Any suggestions on coverting xml to a delimited text file?  I'm
looking for a simple client side routine to import xml into MS Access.
0
Frank

<Frank> wrote in message news:nuioov4bc2pe96ubkmcf9405e3kqr0j11l@4ax.com

> Any suggestions on coverting xml to a delimited text file?  I'm
> looking for a simple client side routine to import xml into MS Access.

If you are looking for suggestions...
Here is one: Use XSL. ;-)

If you want more specific answers ask more specific questions.

Martin

0
ng.tomalak (48)
10/15/2003 10:00:06 AM

A fragment of the XML document would look like the following:

<recording>
<video>
	<name>Gone With The Wind</name>
	<star>Clark Gable</star>
	<year_released>1950</year_released>
</video>
</recording>

The resulting delimited text file would look like this:

Gone With The Wind, Clark Gable, 1950,

I assume that I would need an application to strip the XML tag names
from the original document and not a process using XSLT.  Is this
correct?   The commas are immaterial.   All I want to do is to be able
to feed the contents of an XML document into an Access database.  What
do I use to do this.

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:00:06 +0200, "Martin Boehm"
<ng.tomalak@arcor.de> wrote:

><Frank> wrote in message news:nuioov4bc2pe96ubkmcf9405e3kqr0j11l@4ax.com
>
>> Any suggestions on coverting xml to a delimited text file?  I'm
>> looking for a simple client side routine to import xml into MS Access.
>
>If you are looking for suggestions...
>Here is one: Use XSL. ;-)
>
>If you want more specific answers ask more specific questions.
>
>Martin

0
Frank
10/18/2003 8:54:24 PM
In article <v0a3pvsqoft3d8oet4m4el49bg4i2008pe@4ax.com>, Frank  <> wrote:

% <recording>
% <video>
% 	<name>Gone With The Wind</name>
% 	<star>Clark Gable</star>
% 	<year_released>1950</year_released>
% </video>
% </recording>

Obviously, this data is incorrect. Everyone knows Vivien Leigh was the
star of that movie.

% I assume that I would need an application to strip the XML tag names
% from the original document and not a process using XSLT.

You can get your comma-delimited list using XSLT.

                 version="1.0">
  <xsl:output method="text"/>

  <xsl:template match="video">
   <xsl:value-of select="name"/>
   <xsl:text>, </xsl:text>
   <xsl:value-of select="star"/>
   <xsl:text>, </xsl:text>
   <xsl:value-of select="year_released"/>
   <xsl:text>
</xsl:text>
  </xsl:template>
 </xsl:stylesheet>

If it's not clear how to deal with your real dataset from this,
you should find some documentation and read it.

% correct?   The commas are immaterial.   All I want to do is to be able
% to feed the contents of an XML document into an Access database.  What
% do I use to do this.

There are tools out there that stuff databases with data from XML
documents. I'd be inclined to write a program that parses the
XML file and load the database directly, but then I'd know how to
go about it...
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

text + text

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

text-text

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

How to retrieve XML CDATA text contents by org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2?
For example I have a XML tag <script> <![CDATA[ My script is here ]]> </script> I am using org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2 to parse my XML file. How do I retrieve my script contents? What shall I do in these two methods? @Override public void startElement(String uri, String localName, String qName, Attributes attributes) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { // How to retrieve my script contents? } } @Override public void endElement(String uri, String localName, String qName) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { ...

Should the webserver add "Content-Type: text/xml header" to the requested XML file?
I've been informed that a webserver sending a XML file is supposed to add "Content-Type: text/xml header". I'm not questioning that infromation but i'm unsure what was ment by it. The XML i get on my screen when i type in the url to it looks as follows. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tag-uno>uno</tag-uno> <tag-duo>duo</tag-duo> I can't see any line containing "text/xml" but perhaps it's not supposed to show in the requested file. Please advise. -- Regards Konrad Viltersten ---------------...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

how to Update/insert an xml element's text----> (<element> text</element>)

XML Software Text
http://www.richworld8.blogspot.com/ ...

XML text to HTML
When I have XML text data like the following.. ------ XML Snippet ----- <TEXT> Hello, XML &amp; Java Newsgroup! </TEXT> ------------------------ I hope to get the following html ------- HTML Sinppet ----- Hello,<BR/> XML&nbsp;&amp;&nbsp;Java&nbsp;Newsgroup!<BR/> -------------------------- I tried a java extension, which just replaces &,whitespace and new line(\n) to their corresponding html elements then, get the text from the method with <xsl:value-of select="tth:textToHtml(.)"/> But failed, because Xalan prints html like ------------------------- Hello,&lt;BR/&gt; XML&amp;nbsp;&amp;amp;&amp;nbsp;Java&amp;nbsp;Newsgroup!&lt;BR/&gt; -------------------------- I use Xalan for transforming. How can I get the correct html from xml text? Regards, KwonNam. The answer is <xsl:value-of select="tth:textToHtml(.)" disable-output-escaping="yes"/> :) Son KwonNam �� ��: > When I have XML text data like the following.. > ------ XML Snippet ----- > <TEXT> > Hello, > XML &amp; Java Newsgroup! > </TEXT> > ------------------------ > > I hope to get the following html > ------- HTML Sinppet ----- > Hello,<BR/> > XML&nbsp;&amp;&nbsp;Java&nbsp;Newsgroup!<BR/> > -------------------------- > > I tried a java extension, which just replaces &,whitespace and new > line(\n) t...

XML sample texts?
I'm looking for some XML sample texts to use for testing on a tool set. They won't be made available or public or anything, simply for personal use. Does anyone know where I could find some like this? I need small (~1KB), medium (~100KB), and large (~1MB) documents. It would be excellent to find HTML and TXT versions of the same files, but it's not necessary. Thanks so much! Chris "aechris" <aechris@3pm.ca> wrote in message news:ff361d89.0308140602.634e6ec2@posting.google.com... > I'm looking for some XML sample texts to use for testing on a tool > set. They won't be made available or public or anything, simply for > personal use. Does anyone know where I could find some like this? I > need small (~1KB), medium (~100KB), and large (~1MB) documents. > > It would be excellent to find HTML and TXT versions of the same files, > but it's not necessary. Thanks so much! > > Chris http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/examples contains few docs. http://www.w3.org/XML/Test/ contains XML testsuites etc. hope this helps, Toni Uusitalo ...

Query xml with text()
Hi, i've some problems when i use text() on page http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/TimeTable?stazin=fewfw&stazout=roma&datag=04&datam=07&dataa=2008&timsh=15&timsm=09&x=20&y=7&lang=it&nreq=5&channel=tcom if i do //B/text() it returns to me "Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impostati." but if i try to do //B[text()="Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impostati."] it doesn't found any element. i'm using the library javaXpCom to do the query on the webpage. What's wrong on this query? Thanks and sorry for my bad english Ciccio Pasticcio wrote: > Hi, > > i've some problems when i use text() > > on page > http://orario.trenitalia.com/b2c/TimeTable?stazin=fewfw&stazout=roma&datag=04&datam=07&dataa=2008&timsh=15&timsm=09&x=20&y=7&lang=it&nreq=5&channel=tcom > if i do //B/text() it returns to me "Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione > corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impostati." > but if i try to do //B[text()="Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione > corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impostati."] it doesn't found any element. Maybe it is an issue with leading and/or trailing white space. The source of that page contains <b>Stazione di partenza: nessuna stazione corrisponde ai criteri di ricerca impos...

Text to XML Problem
Hel'o All, Currently I am working with a application which involves, writing text on windows, I am capable of writing text on windows but I have to save it as an XML document,How to proceed for the same ,Can ne one help me in achiving the desire task........ ne help appritiated........ Regards, Paul.......... U can use MSXML.dll for creating and saving XML documents. "Paul Allen" <savita.trivedi@gmail.com> wrote in message news:903ad890.0503170432.5594b517@posting.google.com... > Hel'o All, > Currently I am wor...

Text to XML conversion
I was wondering if anyone could possibly recommend to me a tool that would take .txt file and convert it to XML format. Thank you very much in advance! Oleg. Thank you very much for your answer. I didn't realize there were different XML formats out there... The text file will be somewhat structured. It will contains entries, each on a separate line. We need to convert it into an XML format, so the entries can be read into a database for one of our proprietary tools... On May 25, 3:53 pm, roy axenov <r_axe...@mail.ru> wrote: > Oleg wrote: > > I was wondering if anyone could possibly recommend to me a > > tool that would take .txt file and convert it to XML > > format. Thank you very much in advance! > > There's a wonderful tool called 'echo'. Used in tandem with > its trusty sidekick, 'cat', it can convert your text files > to XML in no time at all: > > > cat text.txt > > And enterprises of great pith and moment, > With this regard, their currents turn awry, > And lose the name of action.> echo '<text><\![CDATA[' `cat text.txt` ']]></text>' > > text.xml > > xmllint text.xml > > <?xml version="1.0"?> > <text><![CDATA[ And enterprises of great pith and moment, > With this regard, their currents turn awry, And lose the > name of action. ]]></text> > > > > Seriously though, presuming...

XML text reformatting

XML text only browser?
Peter Flynn wrote: >Gherty Pavilion wrote: >> Anywhere know where I can find a text only browser, that can display an >> XML file like any other web page? I need one when I telnet. >Perhaps Emacs w3-mode can do this. I haven't used it for a long time, >but Bill Perry was one of the Few with a Clue when people started >writing browsers, and maybe he's added XML to it... Four years on, any improvements? In particular, any browsers that display xhtml in native mode, not just faking the MIME type. Or is there any other application that can be opened from the command line as a filter? Thank you Ottavio Caruso http://www.pledgebank.com/boycottvista Ottavio Caruso wrote: > Peter Flynn wrote: >> Gherty Pavilion wrote: >>> Anywhere know where I can find a text only browser, that can display an >>> XML file like any other web page? I need one when I telnet. > >> Perhaps Emacs w3-mode can do this. I haven't used it for a long time, >> but Bill Perry was one of the Few with a Clue when people started >> writing browsers, and maybe he's added XML to it... > > Four years on, any improvements? In particular, any browsers that > display xhtml in native mode, What would that imply? > not just faking the MIME type. > Or is there any other application that can be opened from the command > line as a filter? I'm not clear what you want to do with XML files. If you're teln...

Parsing text to XML
This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the answer. I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML format. I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML. Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools would I use? Thanks =========================================================================== Chris "Chris Dubea" <cdubea@movingpart.com> wrote in message news:gr5sv1l6a3bpt6vv6cbdb1qe0vojkrcv88@4ax.com... > This might seem like a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the > answer. > > I've got a table full of information that I want to get into an XML > format. I have a schema for the format and I can pretty much > manipulate the table however needs to get it into XML. > > Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools > would I use? > Have a look at the flat-to-XML examples in http://servingxml.sourceforge.net/. Regards, Daniel Parker > Is it possible to do this without writing code? If so, what tools > would I use? SOMETHING has to read the existing data and massage it into the new format. That something may be you, if you're willing to pound on it by hand, in which case all you need is a text editor. Or, if it's currently in a sufficiently simple format and is going into a sufficiently simple format, a simple pattern-match-and-repl...

Xml exported text
I have a file that was exported as an XML file using UFT-8 encoding. Is there a module that will allow me to convert the text so that it is readable on a Unix system. The text needs to be imported into a legacy system that does not understand UTF-8 so I end up losing some characters (',",`,\t etc). Any help would be greatly appreicated. ...

XML to text output

Web resources about - xml to delimited text - comp.text.xml