XML to XML conversion

Hello,

I vageuly remember a standard that allowed for an XML document using one
tag vocabulary to be translated to a diffirent XML document using a
diffirent tag vocabulary using the information provided in a kind of
dictionary XML pointed to in an URL present in the original XML file. I
am very interested in trying it out for various applications, but I
can't find anything on the internet about it, since I don't remember
it's name, only the general appearance. Can anyone help me with this?

What I remember, approximately:

The idea is that you have one XML file, in which the namespace is
defined in the standard way, using an URI. The URI, however, is pointing
to an online XML file. For example:

	<x xmlns:abc="http://www.server.org/dictionary.xml">
	 <abc:one>orange</abc:one>
	</x>

This dictionary.xml then contains, for example:

	<root>
	 <one>
	  <format1>1</format1>
	  <format2>uno</format2>
	  <format3>ena</format3>
	  <format4>ein</format4>
	 </one>
	</root>

So a program wishing to convert the original XML to, say format2, would
end up with the following XML:

	<x>
	 <uno>orange</uno>
	</x>

What I remember is that this dictionary trick was mainly used to allow
diffirent software to be able to interpret the same XML file, without
all of the software needing to be programmed for the same tag
vocabulary. The program would just have the translations of the tag
meanings prepared specialy for it in the dictionary file.

I remember(!) seeing this implemented somewhere and I don't want to
create my own standard here even if what I remember was just somebody's
bright idea and not an official XML standard. This little trick gives a
solution to creating globaly-compatible software when companies that
provide XML data sources can't agree on a common tag vocabulary. I need
more information so I can implement it's use compatibly.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor

Yes I'm a therian:
http://www.wikitherian.org

Creationism & Darwin:
"The bible says humans were
supposed to use animals to
do work for them and I like
to work so I must be an animal!"
0
jure.sah2 (19)

Jure Sah wrote:
> Hello,
>
> cut

You should make the tags names language independent.
Only the content should be able to contain different languages.

But back to your question:
Use XSLT.
0
tjerk (220)
8/14/2005 9:01:08 PM
Tjerk Wolterink wrote:
> You should make the tags names language independent.
> Only the content should be able to contain different languages.

The tag names got nothing to do with what I can do, they are obviously
determined by the XML data provider, not by the processor.

> But back to your question:
> Use XSLT.

I've looked into it and the whole thing reminds me a bit of SQL queries,
obviously more suitable for transforming databases than interpreting an
XML files in various ways. Nevertheless it appears to be the standard I
asked for.

I am curious tho, how to provide an XML file and include (in a standard
way) all the intformation required to allow the file to be interpreted
by all the programs which's vocabularies we knew about at the time the
XML file was written.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor
Secondary function: Cluster commander

Yes I'm a therian:
http://www.wikitherian.org

Creationism & Darwin:
"The bible says humans were
supposed to use animals to
do work for them and I like
to work so I must be an animal!"
0
jure.sah2 (19)
8/14/2005 10:28:37 PM
Jure Sah wrote:
> I've looked into it and the whole thing reminds me a bit of SQL queries

Are you thinking of XQuery <http://www.w3.org/XML/Query/>?

-Thufir

0
hawat.thufir (2846)
8/15/2005 12:08:49 AM
In article <kAPLe.1366$cE1.207718@news.siol.net>,
Jure Sah  <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote:
% Tjerk Wolterink wrote:
[...]
% > But back to your question:
% > Use XSLT.
%
% I've looked into it and the whole thing reminds me a bit of SQL queries,
% obviously more suitable for transforming databases than interpreting an
% XML files in various ways. Nevertheless it appears to be the standard I
% asked for.

I don't know why you get that idea. A stylesheet that converts "one" to
"uno" is

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

   <xsl:template match="*">
     <xsl:copy><xsl:apply-templates select ="node()|@*"/></xsl:copy>
   </xsl:template>

   <xsl:template match="one">
     <uno><xsl:apply-templates select ="node()|@*"/></uno>
   </xsl:template>

  </xsl:stylesheet>

This could be extended to read the names of the elements to transform
from some other file.

% I am curious tho, how to provide an XML file and include (in a standard
% way) all the intformation required to allow the file to be interpreted
% by all the programs which's vocabularies we knew about at the time the
% XML file was written.

I'm not sure it makes sense to do this. In any case, if you can depend on
all programs supporting XSLT, and supporting the xml-stylesheet PI, the
standard way to point an application to a stylesheet is to add something
like this:

 <?xml-stylesheet href="http://my.machine/path/to/file" type="text/xsl"
                  title="type-of-conversion"?>

before the first element of the document.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
North York  Canada
Jure Sah wrote:

> Tjerk Wolterink wrote:
>> You should make the tags names language independent.
>> Only the content should be able to contain different languages.
>
> The tag names got nothing to do with what I can do, they are obviously
> determined by the XML data provider, not by the processor.
>
>> But back to your question:
>> Use XSLT.
>
> I've looked into it and the whole thing reminds me a bit of SQL queries,
> obviously more suitable for transforming databases than interpreting an
> XML files in various ways.

Er, no. XSLT is designed explicitly for transforming XML documents.
It doesn't have anything even remotely to do with databases or SQL.

> Nevertheless it appears to be the standard I
> asked for.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I'm sure there was some earlier
(even pre-XML) system that used translation files like you described. But I
may just be having a brain-fart.

> I am curious tho, how to provide an XML file and include (in a standard
> way) all the intformation required to allow the file to be interpreted
> by all the programs which's vocabularies we knew about at the time the
> XML file was written.

I don't think that's really what XSLT was designed for. If you're talking
about mapping the *interpretation* of markup, that's really a job for
something like ISO 11179 or Topic Maps.

///Peter
&;top"
0
Peter

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

XML to XML Transformation

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

XML Schema to XML Schema Conversion
Subject: XML Schema to XML Schema Conversion I have an XML Schema A which needs to mapped to another XML Schema B. Is there any handy tool which I could use to convert from Schema A to Schema B? Any related informaiton on this is appreciated. Thanks! XML Schema's represent the overall structure of your xml document. So if you want a different schema, you should create it. If you have commonality between the two schema's then you should think of putting that commonality in another schema and import that schema to your other schemas.. ie. if Schema A and Schema B have common features, create Schema C import Schema C into both Schema A and Schema B. about transforming one schema to another, there is the XSLT transformation which possibly could do this (since XSD is itself an XML document) but i havent that myself. Stylus Studio is something that you may want to use to play with this. "Hari Om" <hari_om@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:d1d5ebe4.0403021238.4175e63f@posting.google.com... > Subject: XML Schema to XML Schema Conversion > > I have an XML Schema A which needs to mapped to another XML Schema B. > Is there any handy tool which I could use to convert from Schema A to > Schema B? > > Any related informaiton on this is appreciated. > > Thanks! ...

[ANN] Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite Released: XML Pipeline, XML Publishing and Data Conversion API's
[Announce] Dear Comp.text.xml - Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite is now available for free trial download, featuring all-new tools for XML Pipelining, XML Publishing, powerful new Data Conversion APIs and so much more at new reduced prices. Read on for more information, or download it now at: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html The Stylus Studio XML Pipeline The Stylus Studio XML Pipeline tool is the world's first true integrated development environment for XML programming because it provides a comprehensive way to model, edit, debug, and deploy the entire application, rather than just the individual bits and pieces that make it up. The following are some of the highlights of the new Stylus Studio XML Pipeline tool: * Visual editor: lets you specify and link together any number of XML processing operations to be applied to your data * Support for dozens of XML processing operations including converting, transforming, validating, querying, and publishing your data * Re-use XML Pipelines inside other XML Pipelines * Complete XML Pipeline debugging support * Cross-language debugging support -- step into XSLT or XQuery * Define pipeline flow control based on different conditions, for example, the outcome of an XML validation operation, or the result of an XPath expression * Generate Java code to deploy an entire XML application, not just one piece * Extensible execution framework enables developers to choose different processors for XML validation, XSLT, X...

[Announce] Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite Released: XML Pipeline, XML Publishing and Data Conversion API's
Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite is now available for free trial download, featuring all-new tools for XML Pipelining, XML Publishing, powerful new Data Conversion APIs and so much more at new reduced prices. Read on for more information, or download it now at: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html The Stylus Studio XML Pipeline The Stylus Studio XML Pipeline tool is the world's first true integrated development environment for XML programming because it provides a comprehensive way to model, edit, debug, and deploy the entire application, rather than just the ind...

[Announce] Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite Released: XML Pipeline, XML Publishing and Data Conversion API's
Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite is now available for free trial download, featuring all-new tools for XML Pipelining, XML Publishing, powerful new Data Conversion APIs and so much more at new reduced prices. Read on for more information, or download it now at: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html The Stylus Studio XML Pipeline tool is the world's first true integrated development environment for XML programming because it provides a comprehensive way to model, edit, debug, and deploy the entire application, rather than just the individual bits and pieces that ma...

[Announce] Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite Released: XML Pipeline, XML Publishing and Data Conversion API's
[Announce] Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite is now available for free trial download, featuring all-new tools for XML Pipelining, XML Publishing, powerful new Data Conversion APIs and so much more at new reduced prices. Read on for more information, or download it now at: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html The Stylus Studio XML Pipeline tool is the world's first true integrated development environment for XML programming because it provides a comprehensive way to model, edit, debug, and deploy the entire application, rather than just the individual bits and pieces that m...

[Announce] Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite Released: XML Pipeline, XML Publishing and Data Conversion API's
Stylus Studio 2007 XML Enterprise Suite is now available for free trial download, featuring all-new tools for XML Pipelining, XML Publishing, powerful new Data Conversion APIs and so much more at new reduced prices. Read on for more information, or download it now at: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html The Stylus Studio XML Pipeline The Stylus Studio XML Pipeline tool is the world's first true integrated development environment for XML programming because it provides a comprehensive way to model, edit, debug, and deploy the entire application, rather than just the individual bi...

[rfc-dist] RFC 6207 on The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 6207 Title: The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml Author: R. Denenberg, Ed. Status: Informational Stream: IETF Date: April 2011 Mailbox: rden@loc.gov Pages: 11 Characters: 18090 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-denenberg-mods-etc-media-types-03.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6207.txt This document specifies media types for the following formats: MODS (Metadata Object Description Schema), MADS (Metadata Authority Description Schema), METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard), MARCXML (MARC21 XML Schema), and the SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL Response Format) protocol response XML schema. These are all XML schemas providing representations of various forms of information including metadata and search results. This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. T...

C struct to XML, XML Schema conversion
Hello, I have the following problem: a have a lot of C structs and I'd like to: - generate a XML Schema from de structs definitions - generate a XML with the content of a group os this structs loaded with values Does anyone know some library which does this? Thank you in advance, Estevao Rohr. Estevao Rohr wrote: > I have the following problem: a have a lot of C structs and I'd like > to: > > - generate a XML Schema from de structs definitions > - generate a XML with the content of a group os this structs loaded > with values > > Does anyone know some...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

web.xml / XML schema issue, why do some XML schema attributes disappear
Hi I'm trying to get my j2ee app to run on Jboss (version 3.2.3), but Jboss complains there are some missing attributes in the web-app element. The attributes are present in the XML file, but they seem to be removed by the parser, also when I view the file in a web browser. My XML below (I have cut out a lot of stuff for the purpose of this post) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app xmlns="...

Installation of: XML-DOM-1.44, XML-Parser-2.36, XML-RSS-1.47, XML-Simple-2.18
- CPAN Forum Q&A, Installation of; -- XML-Writer-0.606 -- XML-DOM-1.44 -- XML-Simple-2.18 -- XML-RSS-1.47 -- XML-Parser-2.36 As concerns the installation of the four items above, these errors are continously flagged as an intervention to the process; XML-Simple-2.18, flagged: ======================== Checking installed modules... could not find ParseDetails.ini in C: \strawberry\perl\vendor\lib\xml\sax XML::Sax is installed, it will be used by the test suite Could not open 'lib/XML/Simple.pm': No such file or directory at C:/ strawberry/perl/lib/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm line 2627. --...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

Docs to XML conversion & read the XML files
I am creating an application which need to convert document files into XML. Then read the xml files for specific words in specific format. I am using Microsoft.Office.Interop for converting the document files to xml .The files are getting generated but with lots of formating information which leads to heavy file. I need an help to write a code which can reduce the xml files by removing the unwanted document formating. Or can be preserved if required. Thanks in advance. msinghindia@gmail.com wrote: > I need an help to write a code which can reduce the xml files by > removing the unwanted document formating. Or can be preserved if > required. That sounds like a straight programming problem. First, you need to analyse the files to create rules for recognizing the "unwanted" markup. Then you need to write code that either filters that markup out during the conversion process, or postprocesses the XML file by reading it in, applying those rules to alter it, and writing it back out. Pick your programming language and have fun. If you take the postprocessing approach, you could probably do this in XSLT... but whether that's the best approach depends in part on the nature of the rules you're trying to apply. -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry ...

XML Validation From XML Schema
I am trying to validate a XML file from java according to a XML Schema and get a list of all elements that fail validation. I am utilizing a class that implements the ErrorHandler interface and can generate the list if all errors. The problem is that I need to send back the XPath of the offending elements. The data in the message field of the ErrorHandler is not the complete XPath. Does anyone have a solution of this problem? MJ ...

Web resources about - XML to XML conversion - comp.text.xml

Gene conversion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gene conversion is the process by which one DNA sequence replaces a homologous sequence such that the sequences become identical after the conversion ...

Personalized Notifications Can Increase Conversion Up to 300%
... to avoid sending generic push notifications to every user. By sending personalized notifications instead, companies can see their conversion ...

Ex-gay conversion therapy challenged in federal consumer fraud lawsuit
... a federal consumer fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission against People Can Change, an organization that practices ex-gay conversion ...

10 Copywriting Tips You Can Use Right Now To Boost Conversion Rates
Writing great content is quite possibly the quickest and most cost-effective way to increase your conversion rates. Great content creates engagement ...

Hail Caesar! The 'other' Roman Centurion conversion movie is a bizarre, self-satisfied mess
Martin Saunders went to see 'Hail Caesar!', and found the whole thing incredibly disappointing.

First Solar Achieves New Conversion Efficiency World Record For CdTe Solar PV Cells
Originally published on Sustainnovate. By Henry Lindon A new conversion efficiency world record for cadmium-telluride solar photovoltaic cells ...

Andrew Cuomo announces regulations to prevent gay 'conversion therapy' - CNNPolitics.com
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Saturday announced regulations to prevent "conversion therapy," a practice aimed at changing an individual's sexual ...

A Response To Jonah Goldberg On His Mistaken Claim Of My Trumpine Conversion
I prefer an economic-growth solution to middle-class angst, not a protectionist program.

What Is the Difference Between the Conversion and Recharacterization of an IRA?
... there are certain rules and tax implications you need to know about. Photo: www.TaxCredits.net . When it comes to IRAs, the terms "conversion" ...

Click And Collect Holds Key For Omni-Channel Conversions, New Research Reveals
Click and collect services are becoming key to driving conversions, both online and in the store, new research from Cybertill, a leading cloud-based ...