XML to XML Transformation

I was thrust into XML about 2 weeks ago and don't know much yet.  From
another department in the corp I am receiving an XML file which
concatenates nodes all on one line i.e.
etc. etc. etc.  Some lines are over 300 characters long.  I need to
translate this spagetti XML into something which is humanly readable.
I probably need to use XSL however I'm not sure what I need to do.
Any help will be much appreciated.

"Will" <william.cook@kla-tencor.com> wrote in message
> I was thrust into XML about 2 weeks ago and don't know much yet.  From
> another department in the corp I am receiving an XML file which
> concatenates nodes all on one line i.e.

b>
> etc. etc. etc.  Some lines are over 300 characters long.  I need to
> translate this spagetti XML into something which is humanly readable.

View the xml file using IE or Mozilla -- they provide an appealing,
aesthetic looking layout with collapse/expanding of contents of elements.

> I probably need to use XSL however I'm not sure what I need to do.

If you decide to use XSLT (if, because the first approach above is really
what one needs in order to view an xml file), you need to run the identity
transformation, but specify:

   indent="yes"

for the xsl:output element.

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

dnovatchev (267)
10/31/2003 9:07:46 PM
On 31 Oct 2003 12:44:23 -0800, Will wrote:

> I am receiving an XML file which concatenates nodes all on one line i.e.
> etc. etc. etc.  Some lines are over 300 characters long.  I need to
> translate this spagetti XML into something which is humanly readable.

Then you need a pretty printer/beautifier/code reformatter rather than a
transformation tool! Basically any reasonable XML editor provides such a
feature, e.g. JEdit with the XML plugins.

> I probably need to use XSL however I'm not sure what I need to do.
> Any help will be much appreciated.

No, I can't recognise where XSL might make sense in your scenario.
--
Michael Wein
Basically, you can simply open your XML file in browsers supporting XML

But, if you want to have the XML formatted in a particular style as
paragraph and so on,, you would need to develop/build an XSL file, and
do a transformation by applying XSL on top of XML in order to make it
formatted and human readable.

Keyur Shah
Verizon Communications
732-423-0745

keyur (4)

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

Xml to Xml transform problem

XML to XML conversion

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

no tags in my xml-to-xml transformation, help....
my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just text like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and still there are no xml tags in the output. Has anyone seen this before? Any help much appreciated.... Yannick yannicklaclau wrote: > my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just > text like this: > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... > > I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no > match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. > > But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and > still there are no xml tags in the output. > > Has anyone seen this before? We do not need to guess, try to reduce to the minimum necessary to show the problem, then post the relevant XML and XSLT here, and tell us which XSLT processor you use. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ Ok, false alarm. As I suspected, it was a newbie issue. In case anyone else has this problem, the solution is to use copy-of instead of value-of. Pretty self-explanatory: value-of will output the va...

Transform XML to XML using XSLT
hello all, seems like a simple issue, but having tried several approaches with no success I am posting this question, I have a XML in one format, I want to now convert into another XML format using XSLT. FirstType.XML: (In this XML the States sub elements appear within USA element) ------------------------------------------------ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <ROOT> <Country> <USA> <State> <City1>6000</City1> <City2>100</City2> <City3> </City3> </State> <State> <City1>1000</City1> <City2>10</City2> <City3>2</City3> </State> </USA> </Country> </ROOT> ------------------------------------------------ DestinationXML: (I want the above XML to appear this way, note the element <Type> is something I want to add - and is not in the originial XML) ------------------------------------------------ <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <Region> <Area> <Type> Original </Type> <City1>6000</City1> <City2>100</City2> </Area> <Area> <Type> Original </Type> <City1>1000</City1> <City2>10</City2> </Area> &l...

[rfc-dist] RFC 6207 on The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 6207 Title: The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml Author: R. Denenberg, Ed. Status: Informational Stream: IETF Date: April 2011 Mailbox: rden@loc.gov Pages: 11 Characters: 18090 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-denenberg-mods-etc-media-types-03.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6207.txt This document specifies media types for the following formats: MODS (Metadata Object Description Schema), MADS (Metadata Authority Description Schema), METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard), MARCXML (MARC21 XML Schema), and the SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL Response Format) protocol response XML schema. These are all XML schemas providing representations of various forms of information including metadata and search results. This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. T...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

web.xml / XML schema issue, why do some XML schema attributes disappear
Hi I'm trying to get my j2ee app to run on Jboss (version 3.2.3), but Jboss complains there are some missing attributes in the web-app element. The attributes are present in the XML file, but they seem to be removed by the parser, also when I view the file in a web browser. My XML below (I have cut out a lot of stuff for the purpose of this post) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app xmlns="...

Installation of: XML-DOM-1.44, XML-Parser-2.36, XML-RSS-1.47, XML-Simple-2.18
- CPAN Forum Q&A, Installation of; -- XML-Writer-0.606 -- XML-DOM-1.44 -- XML-Simple-2.18 -- XML-RSS-1.47 -- XML-Parser-2.36 As concerns the installation of the four items above, these errors are continously flagged as an intervention to the process; XML-Simple-2.18, flagged: ======================== Checking installed modules... could not find ParseDetails.ini in C: \strawberry\perl\vendor\lib\xml\sax XML::Sax is installed, it will be used by the test suite Could not open 'lib/XML/Simple.pm': No such file or directory at C:/ strawberry/perl/lib/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm line 2627. --...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

XML to another XML format transformation using XSLT
I am new in xml, have read various documentations, but some practice examples would be more helpful than theory. I need transform one XML document to another XML document format(original standard) using XSLT transformation. Can someone specify how to make this correctly? Also, is there application that can do this? There's a lot of good tutorial information on DeveloperWorks: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/ Also, most XML parsers and XSLT processors come with some simple samples. Read through those, and come back to us if you have specific questions. -- Joe Kesselman, http://www.love-song-productions.com/people/keshlam/index.html {} ASCII Ribbon Campaign | "may'ron DaroQbe'chugh vaj bIrIQbej" -- /\ Stamp out HTML mail! | "Put down the squeezebox & nobody gets hurt." On 11/04/12 10:31, Binaryx wrote: > I am new in xml, have read various documentations, but some practice > examples would be more helpful than theory. I need transform one XML > document to another XML document format (original standard) What does "original standard" mean here? > using XSLT > transformation. Can someone specify how to make this correctly? Not unless we know what the two XML formats are. > Also, is there application that can do this? Same answer. XSLT is a language to let you write a transformation between formats. It is not a ready-made transformer. Here's an XML document from my notes app: -...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

What am I missing re: very simple XML->XML transform
Ok, I've got a situation where I have an XML that looks something like this: <A> <B> <C/> </B> <D> <C/> </D> <E> </E> </A> .... basically the relevant descriptor is "There are some instances of <C> in the file in non-easily predictable spots." What I want to do is transform this file so that it looks like this: <A> <B> <C/><MyTag/> </B> <D> <C/><MyTag/> </D> ... In other words "Find all <C> tags and insert <MyTag> after it." I am at a loss as to how to do this. I can get the "Find all C's and do this afterward..." but how to I say "And leave the rest of the file exactly as it is?" Can I even do that? Do I have to explicitly say "Find A, write A, find B, write B...find C, write C and then write MyTag...."?? That can't be right, can it? Duane Morin wrote: .... > In other words "Find all <C> tags and insert <MyTag> after it." > > I am at a loss as to how to do this. I can get the "Find all C's and > do this afterward..." but how to I say "And leave the rest of the file > exactly as it is?" Can I even do that? Do I have to explicitly say > "Find A, write A, find B, write B...find C, write C and then write > MyTag...."?? That can't be right, can it? start with the 'identity t...

XML to XML newbee help

Sort xml and output xml

XML to XML using XSL

XML Validation From XML Schema
I am trying to validate a XML file from java according to a XML Schema and get a list of all elements that fail validation. I am utilizing a class that implements the ErrorHandler interface and can generate the list if all errors. The problem is that I need to send back the XPath of the offending elements. The data in the message field of the ErrorHandler is not the complete XPath. Does anyone have a solution of this problem? MJ ...

Web resources about - XML to XML Transformation - comp.text.xml

Transformation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mardi Gras 2016 Sydney: ‘My transformation into a drag queen’
I HAVE a new-found respect for women and the transgender community, but more than anything I have superior praise for drag queens.

NTT Communications Enhances Enterprise Cloud to Accelerate Digital Transformation
NTT Communications Corporation (NTT Com), the ICT solutions and international communications business within the NTT Group (NYSE:NTT), announced ...

"Writing my wrongs": Convicted killer on life transformation
Shaka Senghor made a deadly mistake 30 years ago, but he says his life today is proof that "humans are redeemable"

Digital transformation designed for the customer
Part business process redesign, part agile development, the new re-engineering is endless — just like customer demands. Here's how smart companies ...

Fossil Fuels Lose Out In Japan’s Power Sector Transformation
Fossil fuels are set to lose out as Japan continues its on-going power sector transformation, according to the Institute for Energy Economics ...

Digital transformation designed for the customer
In his three years at Valdosta State University , CIO Brian Haugabrook has made a habit of walking around the Georgia campus and stopping now ...

Agile Transformation
I wanted to let you know that I've posted a two-part series on Construx's experience with Agile Transformations, pitfalls, keys to success, and ...

Sears Loses $580 Million In Last Quarter Of 2015, Still Working On That ‘Transformation’ Thing
Earlier this week, we received an e-mail from a reader with a tip for our Sears and Kmart store closings list. We checked it out and learned ...

‘SNL’ Mocks Hillary’s Transformation Into Bernie
'There's a lot of work to be done, and that is why I am sick and tired of hearing about my own damn emails'