XML to XML

I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical
XML file without the invoices.

I've been at this for a while now.  The gnucash file is in XML and the
element I'm looking into is:
<gnc:transaction>

I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key>
which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of
transactions.

Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

0
rjmolesa (2)

Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation,
then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially
and yields no output. From your description that would be
match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']"
with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet.

(That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I
haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.)

--
() ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Joe Kesselman
Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should

with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs.

The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any
namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as
is their now-broken DTD (since DTDs really don't play nicely with
namespaces). Workable, but inelegant. (I'm also really not convinced
they need all those tiny little namespaces, but Oh Well.)

--
On Apr 14, 3:46 am, Joe Kesselman <keshlam-nos...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash,
[...]

Heh, this is straight from "100 xml hacks" by oreilly.  They specify
relax-NG to do the identity transform as a starting point :)

-Thufir

0
hawat.thufir (2846)
4/14/2007 3:47:06 AM
On Apr 13, 10:19 pm, Joe Kesselman <keshlam-nos...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation,
> then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially
> and yields no output. From your description that would be
> match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']"
> with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet.
>
> (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I
> haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.)
>
> --
> () ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Joe Kesselman

Thanks I'll be looking at this closer tomorrow.  But please speak
plainly and slowly guys, I'm still learning this stuff.  This is my
first practical application of XSLT.

The markup is actually:

<gnc:transaction version="2.0">
	<!--some other elements-->

	<trn:slots>
		<!--more elements-->
		<slot>
			<slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key>  <!--If this appears in any
transactions, i just want to skip it, everything else I want
transformed verbatim-->
			<!--more elements-->
		</slot>
		<!--still more-->
	</trn:slots>
	<!--more yet-->
</gnc:transaction>

0
rjmolesa (2)
4/14/2007 6:47:37 AM
Michael Gutbier wrote:
>> I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into
>> an identical XML file without the invoices.
>
> Joe Kesselman mentioned the identity transformation. I had
> to solve a similar problem recently and it was not that
> easy to find out the right way.
>
> Perhaps this helps you:
>
>   <xsl:template
>   match="*|comment()|processing-instruction()|@*"
>   priority="-1">
>     <xsl:copy>
>       <xsl:apply-templates
> select="*|text()|comment()|processing-instruction()|@*"
>         />
>     </xsl:copy>
>   </xsl:template>

I'm wondering why are you using an identity transformation
instead of THE identity transformation?

> The priority must be set to -1 to let other templates be
> considered by the XSLT processor.

Pardon me? I don't believe that's true. Specificity rules
handle all the priority issues in something like 999 cases
out of 1000. In fact, I can't remember using priority
attribute even once, despite more than half my stylesheets
using the identity transformation.

--
Pavel Lepin
0
Pavel Lepin wrote:
> Michael Gutbier wrote:
>> The priority must be set to -1 to let other templates be
>> considered by the XSLT processor.
>
> Pardon me? I don't believe that's true. Specificity rules
> handle all the priority issues in something like 999 cases
> out of 1000.

XSLT's specificity rules are actually quite weak compared to similar
systems. They're sufficient for most common cases, as Pavel says, and
for this one in particular, but you will sometimes need to tweak
priority explicitly.

There's nothing inherently wrong with explicitly setting priority as a
safety net, but most of us wouldn't bother in this case.

--
Pavel Lepin wrote:
> I'm wondering why are you using an identity transformation
> instead of THE identity transformation?

The standard version, as it originally appeared in the XSLT
Recommendation (http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xslt-19991116#copying):

<xsl:template match="@*|node()">
   <xsl:copy>
   </xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

node() is a wildcard that matches anything, and since the default axis
is child:: this matches all children. Attributes aren't children, so we
need to explicitly ask for them too.

There are a few minor variants floating around, but this is probably the
simplest.

--
() ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Joe Kesselman

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and th...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

XML to XML Transformation

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

XML to XML conversion

[rfc-dist] RFC 6207 on The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 6207 Title: The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml Author: R. Denenberg, Ed. Status: Informational Stream: IETF Date: April 2011 Mailbox: rden@loc.gov Pages: 11 Characters: 18090 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-denenberg-mods-etc-media-types-03.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6207.txt This document specifies media types for the following formats: MODS (Metadata Object Description Schema), MADS (Metadata Authority Description Schema), METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard), MARCXML (MARC21 XML Schema), and the SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL Response Format) protocol response XML schema. These are all XML schemas providing representations of various forms of information including metadata and search results. This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. T...

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

web.xml / XML schema issue, why do some XML schema attributes disappear
Hi I'm trying to get my j2ee app to run on Jboss (version 3.2.3), but Jboss complains there are some missing attributes in the web-app element. The attributes are present in the XML file, but they seem to be removed by the parser, also when I view the file in a web browser. My XML below (I have cut out a lot of stuff for the purpose of this post) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app xmlns="...

Installation of: XML-DOM-1.44, XML-Parser-2.36, XML-RSS-1.47, XML-Simple-2.18
- CPAN Forum Q&A, Installation of; -- XML-Writer-0.606 -- XML-DOM-1.44 -- XML-Simple-2.18 -- XML-RSS-1.47 -- XML-Parser-2.36 As concerns the installation of the four items above, these errors are continously flagged as an intervention to the process; XML-Simple-2.18, flagged: ======================== Checking installed modules... could not find ParseDetails.ini in C: \strawberry\perl\vendor\lib\xml\sax XML::Sax is installed, it will be used by the test suite Could not open 'lib/XML/Simple.pm': No such file or directory at C:/ strawberry/perl/lib/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm line 2627. --...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

How filter data from XML to XML
Hello, have a problem with this XML, I need XSLT to filter the products list based on rules writes in RULE tag. I need copy only CAT and PROD data in PRODUCTS-LIST that match CAT and PROD ID's in RULE tag. for ex: ========================================================================== <ROOT> <PAGE NAME="homepage" URL="HP.html"> <RULES> <RULE> <CAT ID="1"> <PRO ID="3"></PRO> <PRO ID="6"></PRO> </CAT> <CAT ID="3"> <PRO ID="2"></PRO> <PRO ID="10"></PRO> </CAT> </RULE> </RULES> </PAGE> <PRODUCTS-LIST> <CAT ID="1"> <PROD ID="12"> <NAME>Prod. name</NAME> <DESC><![CDATA[ Html desc ]]></DESC> </PROD> <PROD ID="6"> <NAME>Prod. name</NAME> <DESC><![CDATA[ Html desc ]]></DESC> </PROD> <PROD ID="3"> <NAME>Prod. name</NAME> <DESC><![CDATA[ Html desc ]]></DESC> </PROD> </CAT> <CAT ID="2"> <PROD ID="7"> <NAME>Prod. name</NAME> <DESC><![CDATA[ Html desc ]]></DESC> </PROD> </CAT> <CAT ID="3"> <PROD ID=&q...

Sort xml and output xml

XML to XML using XSL

Xml to Xml transform problem

Generate xml and to existing xml
Hi, We have the following xml that needs to be generated for 200 users. <wopi:createUser> <typ:WOUser> <typ:id> <typ:serviceProviderId>AOne</typ:serviceProviderId> <typ:companyId>Acme</typ:companyId> <typ:userId>Alice</typ:userId> </typ:id> <typ:sipAddress>sip:alice@mydomain.com</typ:sipAddress> <typ:firstName>Alice</typ:firstName> <typ:lastName>Wonderland</typ:lastName> </typ:WOUser> </wopi:createUser> ServiceProviderId and companyId will be the same but I need to generate a user like: user001 user002 user003 and so on... So I will generate a <wopi:createUser>-Node for each user. Then I have to add this into the existing xml document where we create the serviceProvider and company. I am using java 1.5 and I wonder if you have any advice to me in this matter on how to implement it. cheers, //mike ...

Sort xml and write to xml

XML Validation From XML Schema
I am trying to validate a XML file from java according to a XML Schema and get a list of all elements that fail validation. I am utilizing a class that implements the ErrorHandler interface and can generate the list if all errors. The problem is that I need to send back the XPath of the offending elements. The data in the message field of the ErrorHandler is not the complete XPath. Does anyone have a solution of this problem? MJ ...

New to XML : What is XML Application ?
Hi All, While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as configuration file and other 'low-level' application. Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business application that make use of XML ? ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? Thank you for your help, Krist XML is a language to �mark up� structured contents. You could e.g. convert database contents into XML. The special benefit is its tree-like hierarchical structure. Roger "Krist" <xtanto@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:cb48a3b.0503152315.29e8d51@posting.google.com... > Hi All, > > While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as > configuration file and other 'low-level' application. > > Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business > application that make use of XML ? > ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? > > Thank you for your help, > Krist Krist wrote: > Hi All, > > While XML has been around for log time, so far I know XML mostly as > configuration file and other 'low-level' application. > > Could anybody here please give me example / cases of business > application that make use of XML ? > ANy docs/PDF/ URL on this ? > > Thank you for your help, > Krist Several applications of ours use XML: One uses XML to send data from an RDBMS to a server which again uses XSL to generate XHTML. This is an online travel shopping site. Another uses t...

xml parser
Hi all, I am trying to read and write an XMl thro HTML. I am first loading the file in IE and then reading the XML and updating HTML thro getmessage() document.getElementById("to").innerHTML= xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("to")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue ; I am not sure how to write the XML through HTML. alternately even if anyone can help me to update an xml with the given string thro a C++ prog, that would be extremely helpful. thanks in advance, utkarsh. utkarsh bidkar wrote: > I am trying to read and write an XMl thro HTML. > > I am first loading the file in IE and then reading the XML and > updating HTML thro getmessage() > > document.getElementById("to").innerHTML= > xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("to")[0].childNodes[0].nodeValue ; > > I am not sure how to write the XML through HTML. It is not clear what you want to achieve. Show us the relevant input XML and tell us exactly what you want to display in that HTML element ided as 'to'. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ This looks like an ideal use for the technology normally used for AJAX. I am working on describing exactly this sort of stuff at www.nerds-central.com First off have a look at: http://nerds-central.blogspot.com/2007/01/creating-xml-viewer-with-jscript-exsead.html But I also have code that does 100% the sort of thing you are talking about in an xml-rpc jscript library that we at TPN use all the time fo...

Web resources about - XML to XML - comp.text.xml

XML - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
including RSS , Atom , SOAP , and XHTML . XML-based formats have become the default for many office-productivity tools, including Microsoft Office ...

Native XML Database
(by Conor O'Mahony) If you want to learn more about XML indexes in DB2, including the XML index enhancements in DB2 10 , join the DB2 pureXML ...

XML From the Inside Out XML development, XML resources, XML specifications
XML.com, where the XML community shares XML development resources and solutions, features timely news, opinions, features, and tutorials; the ...

XML developer news from XMLhack: by and for the XML community
XML developer news from XMLhack: by and for the XML community

XML Design Patterns
XMLPatterns.com - Designing Good XML Structure with Patterns.

Create your Google Sitemap Online - XML Sitemaps Generator
... Google Sitemap Generator You will be redirected to the generated sitemap details page, including number of pages, broken links list, XML file ...

The XML C parser and toolkit of Gnome
"Programmingwith libxml2 is like the thrilling embrace of an exotic stranger." MarkPilgrim Libxml2 is the XML C parser and toolkit developed ...

Legislative Documents in XML at the United States House of Representatives
Official site for XML at the United Steates House of Representatives for legislative documents

faroo_p2p: Our Web Search API now supports cross domain access for JSON, XML and RSS via CORS (Cross-Origin ...
faroo_p2p: Our Web Search API now supports cross domain access for JSON, XML and RSS via CORS (Cross-Origin Resource Sharing). http://t.

XML and JSON — Advantages and Disadvantages?
... Notation (JSON), and after looking it up, it seems like it's becoming rather popular as an alternative to the Extensible Markup Language (XML). I ...