xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags

we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml
is forwarded through
the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the
processing results are
again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed
with an xslt by the framework.

now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the
text inside all xml tags
of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the
source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml.

moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it
through internet explorer,
it will show the xml in proper way.

i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same
results...

has somebody experienced similar problem before???

i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any
pointers as to what
can be the cause and solution to this.

Thanks in advance,
Shreyas

0
shyran (10)

Hi all,

Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml
contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE
was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title
was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element.

one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the
<xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more
template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the
<Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag.

now the problem at my end is resolved. but it has kept me wondering as
to what might be the possible reason behind this weird behaviour.

regards,
Shreyas

Shyran wrote:
> we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml
> is forwarded through
> the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the
> processing results are
> again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed
> with an xslt by the framework.
>
> now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the
> text inside all xml tags
> of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the
> source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml.
>
> moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it
> through internet explorer,
> it will show the xml in proper way.
>
> i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same
> results...
>
> has somebody experienced similar problem before???
>
> i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any
> pointers as to what
> can be the cause and solution to this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Shreyas

0
shyran (10)

Non-XML tagged value text to XML

To XML or not to XML?
Ok, it has been a while since I've needed to make an involved web page. Coming back on the scene now is a bit confusing, what with all the cool stuff to use like XML, PHP, MySQL, etc... So here is my question. I'm in search of a good dynamic way to generate web pages which separates content from presentation. I am seeking to create a web site that, to put it succinctly, has a list of users and sets of information corresponding to each user. I am familiar with how to do this using PHP, MySQL, and regular old HTML. I maintain the user database in MySQL and dynamically present it and the information with PHP. This is very easy to do in terms of coding for it. But I'm wondering? Is it time for me to switch to the XML with XSL method instead? Everyone seems to be talking of XML as the end all be all. I've looked into it, and on the surface, I just can't tell if it's worth it. I don't really see the benefit. XML is just a "create your own HTML tags" and then figure out wtf to do with them orgy. Great, so I can write <dog>Spot</dog>. Whoop de do, that's useless to me unless I write a parser for it to display it in a user friendly way. And I shouldn't have to write a parser, there should be standardized ones for certain purposes. But wait, isn't that what HTML already is? A bunch of <dog>Spot</dog> (figuratively speaking) with the parsers having been written and mostly standardized between companies ages ago...

XML or not XML?
I am developing a simple MySQL database editor, and am looking into creating an PHP/AJAX app as the GUI. A lot of this in new ground, and much more is dusting off things I haven't used in a while. My question though involves whether or nor to employ XML. I did some XML a few years back, but don't typically bother anymore. As I see it XML is great when I need to have an app with a standard data presentation that other developers can easily interface. I.E. like a bank statement that may feed a variety of applications developed by a variety of clients. However, if I am develo...

XML to XML
I have a gnucash file that I'm trying to transform into an identical XML file without the invoices. I've been at this for a while now. The gnucash file is in XML and the element I'm looking into is: <gnc:transaction> I want to ignore those that contain <slot:key>gncInvoice</slot:key> which is a child of slot which is a child of slots which is a child of transactions. Any help you're willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Classic application for XSLT. Start with the identity transformation, then add a template which matches the ones you want to treat specially and yields no output. From your description that would be match="gnc:transaction[transactions/slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with the namespaces declared appropriately in the stylesheet. (That looks like a somewhat unlikely markup design to me, but since I haven't played with gnucash at all I'm taking your word for it.) -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry Actually, from the Relax-NG schema for gnucash, it looks like it should be more like "gnc:transaction[trn:slots/slot/slot:key='gncInvoice']" with gnc:, trn:, and slot: all bound to the appropriate namespace URIs. The fact that some of their elements -- eg <slot> -- aren't in any namespace is probably left over from a pre-namespaces initial design, as is their now-brok...

embedding xml in xml as non-xml :)
Hi all, I have an application that logs in xml. Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml data, the structure of the document changes. ie. <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains non-xml data. My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that would treat anything this element contains as a literal? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Mark Mark Van Orman <mark@icsaccess.com> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have an application that logs in xml. > > Assume <xmlLog></xmlLog>. In this element the app logs > anything it gets from foreign hosts. Now if the host sends xml > data, the structure of the document changes. ie. > <xmlLog><somTag></somTag></xmlLog>. This will cause problems > with my log reader, because it assumes that <xmlLog/> contains > non-xml data. > > My question is, is there a way to treat the data in the > <xmlLog/> element as non xml data. Something I can do that > would treat anything this element contains as a literal? > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly ap...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

extract plain-text from xml-file / remove all tags
For feeding the content of an xml-file to a search-indexer I need to remove all tags and extract the plaintext out of a xml-file. I use the null-xls-stylesheet <?xml version="1.0"?> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" version="1.0"> </xsl:stylesheet> to remove all tags. Problem now is that, while it actually works, I found out that removing all tags is not exactely what I want, cause I ended up with all content in one string without any whitespace in between. So actually what i want is to replace all tags with a space. I use linux/xsltproc/perl and I am definitely no master of xml. I rarely used it until now and while I do quite fine in perl, I cannot master this simple xml-problem on my own thnx for any help peter In article <8fe49$4740aaa6$557f11d9$2752@news.inode.at>, peter pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at> wrote: >Problem now is that, while it actually works, I found out that removing >all tags is not exactely what I want, cause I ended up with all content >in one string without any whitespace in between. So actually what i want >is to replace all tags with a space. As usual, you should start with an identity stylesheet: <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:template match="node()|@*"> <xsl:copy> <xsl:apply-templates select="node()|@*"/> </xsl:cop...

How to retrieve XML CDATA text contents by org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2?
For example I have a XML tag <script> <![CDATA[ My script is here ]]> </script> I am using org.xml.sax.ext.DefaultHandler2 to parse my XML file. How do I retrieve my script contents? What shall I do in these two methods? @Override public void startElement(String uri, String localName, String qName, Attributes attributes) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { // How to retrieve my script contents? } } @Override public void endElement(String uri, String localName, String qName) throws SAXException { if (qName.equals("script")) { ...

extracting text from an XML node

How do I color text with XML tags?

[XML] Is there an XML group?
Hi, I've typed an XML source which calls a CSS source, the result should be a page displayed in IE6, instead I see the XML source. That's pretty logical since there a no XHTML tags for IE6 to interpret. I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find one. Please help me. The first task is to see the Blue Jay. universalbitmapper wrote: > I'm looking for a discussion group like'comp.lang.xml' but I can't find > one. There's a comp.text.xml, which might be what you're looking for. Note that I don't read it,...

XML to XML conversion

xml from 2 xml
Hi to everybody, would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform 2 files xml? thanks for the possible answers I have already found from me the answer: the function document('file2.xml') matatu ha scritto: > Hi to everybody, > > would I like to create a consequential xml from the elaboration of two > files xml using xslt, but is it possible to give in input to a trasform > 2 files xml? > > thanks for the possible answers ...

XML to XML Transformation

Different results parsing a XML file with XML::Simple (XML::Sax vs. XML::Parser)
Hello Usenet. I'm subject to some confusion with XML and UTF8. I'm working with XML-Simple and I try to decode some XML with with german umlauts (ISO-8859-1). The first XML line declared the encoding correct (see code below). But I'm getting different results using XML-Simple with the default XML parser named XML::Sax and a second parser named XML::Parser. The following code tries to decode the mini XML file and prints the UTF8 flags of the resulting strings. Can someone run this code on his machine and post the results? Thanks. The results on my machine are this: ���ä...

no tags in my xml-to-xml transformation, help....
my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just text like this: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and still there are no xml tags in the output. Has anyone seen this before? Any help much appreciated.... Yannick yannicklaclau wrote: > my xml-to-xml transformation is outputting an xml header and then just > text like this: > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>e19dbb7b-5529-43a0...... > > I've searched regarding this problem and it seems that if there's no > match in your xsl template then by default everything gets spat out. > > But I've tested this with very definite matches in my template, and > still there are no xml tags in the output. > > Has anyone seen this before? We do not need to guess, try to reduce to the minimum necessary to show the problem, then post the relevant XML and XSLT here, and tell us which XSLT processor you use. -- Martin Honnen http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ Ok, false alarm. As I suspected, it was a newbie issue. In case anyone else has this problem, the solution is to use copy-of instead of value-of. Pretty self-explanatory: value-of will output the va...

Should the webserver add "Content-Type: text/xml header" to the requested XML file?
I've been informed that a webserver sending a XML file is supposed to add "Content-Type: text/xml header". I'm not questioning that infromation but i'm unsure what was ment by it. The XML i get on my screen when i type in the url to it looks as follows. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <tag-uno>uno</tag-uno> <tag-duo>duo</tag-duo> I can't see any line containing "text/xml" but perhaps it's not supposed to show in the requested file. Please advise. -- Regards Konrad Viltersten ---------------...

[rfc-dist] RFC 6207 on The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml
A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries. RFC 6207 Title: The Media Types application/mods+xml, application/mads+xml, application/mets+xml, application/marcxml+xml, and application/sru+xml Author: R. Denenberg, Ed. Status: Informational Stream: IETF Date: April 2011 Mailbox: rden@loc.gov Pages: 11 Characters: 18090 Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None I-D Tag: draft-denenberg-mods-etc-media-types-03.txt URL: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6207.txt This document specifies media types for the following formats: MODS (Metadata Object Description Schema), MADS (Metadata Authority Description Schema), METS (Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard), MARCXML (MARC21 XML Schema), and the SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL Response Format) protocol response XML schema. These are all XML schemas providing representations of various forms of information including metadata and search results. This document is not an Internet Standards Track specification; it is published for informational purposes. INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of this memo is unlimited. This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists. T...

how to check for existenceof XML tags with XML::Simple?
Using XML::Simple, what's the best way to check for the existence of a particular XML tag? For example, lets say I have 2 files, "success.xml" and "failure.xml" which differ only in their innermost tags (one being "<responseSuccess>" and the other being "<responseFailed>"). Can I use "exists()" or "defined()" on the path which refers to that tag? For example, consider the following: ------ START: success.xml ------- <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <response> <header> ...

Swing text (XML) view control with autoformat?
Hi, We need to display XML files in a Swing GUI. The XML is automatically generated so it is absolutelly unadapted to human viewing. So we need some Swing control that can format XML and show it. Or use some XML formatting tool and display results in simple JTextPane or something like this. Any ideas? Regards, Michael Yashin Michael Yashin wrote: > Hi, > > We need to display XML files in a Swing GUI. The XML is automatically > generated so it is absolutelly unadapted to human viewing. > > So we need some Swing control that can format XML and show it. > Or use some ...

XML-tagging text document from W3C-schema

web.xml / XML schema issue, why do some XML schema attributes disappear
Hi I'm trying to get my j2ee app to run on Jboss (version 3.2.3), but Jboss complains there are some missing attributes in the web-app element. The attributes are present in the XML file, but they seem to be removed by the parser, also when I view the file in a web browser. My XML below (I have cut out a lot of stuff for the purpose of this post) <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd"> <web-app xmlns="...

Installation of: XML-DOM-1.44, XML-Parser-2.36, XML-RSS-1.47, XML-Simple-2.18
- CPAN Forum Q&A, Installation of; -- XML-Writer-0.606 -- XML-DOM-1.44 -- XML-Simple-2.18 -- XML-RSS-1.47 -- XML-Parser-2.36 As concerns the installation of the four items above, these errors are continously flagged as an intervention to the process; XML-Simple-2.18, flagged: ======================== Checking installed modules... could not find ParseDetails.ini in C: \strawberry\perl\vendor\lib\xml\sax XML::Sax is installed, it will be used by the test suite Could not open 'lib/XML/Simple.pm': No such file or directory at C:/ strawberry/perl/lib/ExtUtils/MM_Unix.pm line 2627. --...

Web resources about - xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags - comp.text.xml

Innovation of the Day: Bill Gates Drinks Water Extracted From Raw Sewage
Back in November, Bill Gates visited a plant that turns poop into water, and he took a nice big gulp. The machine is called an Omniprocessor, ...

Bristol adopts a poo-powered bus, fuelled by gas extracted from the local sewage works
A POO-powered bus is letting it rip in Bristol, United Kingdom. So how long is it before a &#8220;Number 2&#8221; appears on your route?

Russia has extracted a commitment from Syria to end bloodshed, as bombing continues in Homs
RUSSIA'S foreign minister has said Syria's President Bashar al-Assad was "fully committed" to ending the bloodshed in Syria, even as regime tanks ...

Solvent extracted oil contains neurotoxin?
People's Daily Online Solvent extracted oil contains neurotoxin? People's Daily Online Science. Diet rumors in 2012 (VI): Solvent extracted ...

HTC One M8 Sense 6 apps extracted and distributed
If you’ve been enamored by some of the apps on the brand new HTC One M8 but don’t want to switch phones just for that, then there is a sliver ...

Password hints easily extracted from Windows 7, 8
Output of a Metasploit Meterpreter session that extracts Windows 7 and Windows 8 password hints. SpiderLabs Our recent feature on the growing ...

National Corvette Museum says last sinkhole car extracted
Filed under: Classics , Convertible , Coupe , Performance , Videos , Chevrolet The 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Mallett Hammer Z06 has been plucked ...

Naked selfies extracted from 'factory reset' phones
Thousands of pictures including "naked selfies" have been extracted from factory-wiped phones by a Czech Republic-based security firm.

Pill Extracted From Poop Treats Antibiotic-Resistant Infections - Businessweek
Gut bacteria from feces help fight an antibiotic-resistant bug

The 3 Biggest Banks Extracted $6 Billion In ATM And Overdraft Fees From Us Last Year
Back in 1998, comedian Al Franken published a satirical novel where the fictional Al Franken ran a single-issue presidential campaign against ...