XSLT Extract Text from Nodes

Hello,

I am new to the concept of XSL and am looking for some assistance.

Take the following XML document:

<binder>
  <author>Greg</author>
  <notes>
    <time>11:45</time>
    <content>
      This would be some content... every once in a while you may run
into
      <heading>A Heading!</heading>
      Which could be followed by more content... and possible
      <heading>More Headings.</heading>
      and even more content!
    </content>
  </notes>
</binder>

What I would like to do is to be able to extract the value of the
<content> node, and have special formatting for the headings.

When I do something like:

<xsl:value-of select="content" />

I receive the data within <content> - including the values of the
nested <heading> nodes, but what I really want to be able to do is do
is to have XSLT read the text of the <content> node until a <heading>
node is reached, at which point the value of the heading node is
formatted correctly and displayed, and then continued by the text of
reached... etc etc...

Could someone give me some pointers as to how this can be accomplished?

gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com wrote:

>     <content>
>       This would be some content... every once in a while you may run
> into
>       <heading>A Heading!</heading>
>       Which could be followed by more content... and possible
>       <heading>More Headings.</heading>
>       and even more content!
>     </content>

> What I would like to do is to be able to extract the value of the
> <content> node, and have special formatting for the headings.

Use templates and xsl:apply-templates e.g.

   <xsl:template match="content">
       <xsl:apply-templates/>
   </xsl:template>

   <xsl:template match="heading">
     <h1>
       <xsl:apply-templates/>
     </h1>
   </xsl:template>

There is a built-in template for text nodes
   <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#built-in-rule>
so you don't have to do anything for them, they end up in the result
tree anyway with the above approach.

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

This has brought me closer to what I would like to accomplish, however
I now have the following issue.

I was using the xsl:value-of element with disable-output-escaping="yes"
to produce HTML formatted text in the browser screen.  You see within
the <content> node there may be HTML that should be displayed as such.
Your method produces all of the text in the correct order and formatted
according to tag name, but produces HTML tags which should be hidden.

ie.

<content>
  There may be some <i>italicized</i> text...
</content>

Is there some way to overcome this?

Martin Honnen wrote:
> gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com wrote:
>

> >     <content>
> >       This would be some content... every once in a while you may run
> > into
> >       <heading>A Heading!</heading>
> >       Which could be followed by more content... and possible
> >       <heading>More Headings.</heading>
> >       and even more content!
> >     </content>
>

> > What I would like to do is to be able to extract the value of the
> > <content> node, and have special formatting for the headings.
>
> Use templates and xsl:apply-templates e.g.
>
>    <xsl:template match="content">
>        <xsl:apply-templates/>
>    </xsl:template>
>
>    <xsl:template match="heading">
>      <h1>
>        <xsl:apply-templates/>
>      </h1>
>    </xsl:template>
>
> There is a built-in template for text nodes
>    <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#built-in-rule>
> so you don't have to do anything for them, they end up in the result
> tree anyway with the above approach.
>

> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

I should say that the HTML tags within my XML document are stored as
entities (at least the < character is)  i.e.

<content>
  This is some &lt;i>italicized&lt;/i> text...
</content>

Thanks.

gregmcmulli...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply Martin,
>
> This has brought me closer to what I would like to accomplish, however
> I now have the following issue.
>
> I was using the xsl:value-of element with disable-output-escaping="yes"
> to produce HTML formatted text in the browser screen.  You see within
> the <content> node there may be HTML that should be displayed as such.
> Your method produces all of the text in the correct order and formatted
> according to tag name, but produces HTML tags which should be hidden.
>
> ie.
>
> <content>
>   There may be some <i>italicized</i> text...
> </content>
>
> Is there some way to overcome this?
>
> Martin Honnen wrote:
> > gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > >     <content>
> > >       This would be some content... every once in a while you may run
> > > into
> > >       <heading>A Heading!</heading>
> > >       Which could be followed by more content... and possible
> > >       <heading>More Headings.</heading>
> > >       and even more content!
> > >     </content>
> >

> > > What I would like to do is to be able to extract the value of the
> > > <content> node, and have special formatting for the headings.
> >
> > Use templates and xsl:apply-templates e.g.
> >
> >    <xsl:template match="content">
> >        <xsl:apply-templates/>
> >    </xsl:template>
> >
> >    <xsl:template match="heading">
> >      <h1>
> >        <xsl:apply-templates/>
> >      </h1>
> >    </xsl:template>
> >
> > There is a built-in template for text nodes
> >    <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#built-in-rule>
> > so you don't have to do anything for them, they end up in the result
> > tree anyway with the above approach.
> >

> > --
> >
> > 	Martin Honnen
> > 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

I have found a solution.  The following is the build in template for
text nodes:

<xsl:template match="text()|@*">
  <xsl:value-of select="."/>
</xsl:template>

It can be overridden simply by creating a new custom template, which I
did as the following:

<xsl:template match="text()|@*">
  <xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
</xsl:template>

The result is that the HTML in the text nodes outputs as desired.

gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com wrote:
> I should say that the HTML tags within my XML document are stored as
> entities (at least the < character is)  i.e.
>
> <content>
>   This is some &lt;i>italicized&lt;/i> text...
> </content>
>
> Thanks.
>

> gregmcmulli...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Thanks for your quick reply Martin,
> >
> > This has brought me closer to what I would like to accomplish, however
> > I now have the following issue.
> >
> > I was using the xsl:value-of element with disable-output-escaping="yes"
> > to produce HTML formatted text in the browser screen.  You see within
> > the <content> node there may be HTML that should be displayed as such.
> > Your method produces all of the text in the correct order and formatted
> > according to tag name, but produces HTML tags which should be hidden.
> >
> > ie.
> >
> > <content>
> >   There may be some <i>italicized</i> text...
> > </content>
> >
> > Is there some way to overcome this?
> >
> > Martin Honnen wrote:

> > > Use templates and xsl:apply-templates e.g.
> > >
> > >    <xsl:template match="content">
> > >        <xsl:apply-templates/>
> > >    </xsl:template>
> > >
> > >    <xsl:template match="heading">
> > >      <h1>
> > >        <xsl:apply-templates/>
> > >      </h1>
> > >    </xsl:template>
> > >
> > > There is a built-in template for text nodes
> > >    <http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#built-in-rule>
> > > so you don't have to do anything for them, they end up in the result
> > > tree anyway with the above approach.
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > 	Martin Honnen
> > > 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Please don't top-post.

gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com wrote:
> Martin Honnen wrote:
> > gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com wrote:
> > >     <content>
> > >       This would be some content... every once in a
> > >       while you may run into
> > >       <heading>A Heading!</heading>
> > >       Which could be followed by more content... and
> > >       possible
> > >       <heading>More Headings.</heading>
> > >       and even more content!
> > >     </content>
> >
> > Use templates and xsl:apply-templates e.g.
> >
> >    <xsl:template match="content">
> >        <xsl:apply-templates/>
> >    </xsl:template>
> >
> >    <xsl:template match="heading">
> >      <h1>
> >        <xsl:apply-templates/>
> >      </h1>
> >    </xsl:template>
>
> This has brought me closer to what I would like to
> accomplish, however I now have the following issue.
>
> I was using the xsl:value-of element with
> disable-output-escaping="yes" to produce HTML formatted
> text in the browser screen.  You see within the <content>
> node there may be HTML that should be displayed as such.
> Your method produces all of the text in the correct order
> and formatted according to tag name, but produces HTML
> tags which should be hidden.
>
> ie.
>
> <content>
>   There may be some <i>italicized</i> text...
>   <heading>Maybe even <u>formatting in a
>   heading</u></heading>
> </content>
>
> Is there some way to overcome this?
>
> I should say that the HTML tags within my XML document
> are stored as entities (at least the < character is) i.e.
>
> <content>
>   This is some &lt;i>italicized&lt;/i> text...
> </content>

Don't do that, it seems to lead to innumerable problems.
Store you mark-up as XML instead:

  <content>
    This is some <i>italicized</i> text...
  </content>

....and use the identity transformation to convert it into
HTML:

  <xsl:template match="@*|node()">
    <xsl:copy>
    </xsl:copy>
  </xsl:template>

This also has the virtue of fitting neatly with the
solution for your original problem that Martin Honnen has
proposed.

You might also need to write exclusion templates for some
nodes, but that's hardly a problem.

--
roy axenov

0
r_axenov (54)
10/10/2006 6:54:38 PM
Not sure what a top-post is...

While I see what your saying Roy, the problem is that the contained
HTML is not necessarily well formed because of the way that its formed
at this time.  Perhaps when I have figured out how to force it to be
well formed I can use this solution.

Thanks.

gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com schrieb:
> roy axenov wrote:
>> Please don't top-post.

> Not sure what a top-post is...

Then ask a search engine. It will lead you to some documents like
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html>.

--
Johannes Koch
Spem in alium nunquam habui praeter in te, Deus Israel.

gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com wrote:

> It can be overridden simply by creating a new custom template, which I
> did as the following:
>
> <xsl:template match="text()|@*">
>   <xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
> </xsl:template>
>
> The result is that the HTML in the text nodes outputs as desired.

If that works for you then you can use it. But you should be aware that
disable-output-escaping support is an optional feature during
serialization of the result tree meaning it might not be supported at
all by an XSLT processor or it is not supported when you don't serialize
the result tree (e.g. when you chain transformation or e.g. in a browser
like Mozilla where the result tree is being rendered directly without
any serialization happening).

--

	Martin Honnen
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Thanks again.

Martin Honnen wrote:
> gregmcmullinjr@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > It can be overridden simply by creating a new custom template, which I
> > did as the following:
> >
> > <xsl:template match="text()|@*">
> >   <xsl:value-of select="." disable-output-escaping="yes"/>
> > </xsl:template>
> >
> > The result is that the HTML in the text nodes outputs as desired.
>
> If that works for you then you can use it. But you should be aware that
> disable-output-escaping support is an optional feature during
> serialization of the result tree meaning it might not be supported at
> all by an XSLT processor or it is not supported when you don't serialize
> the result tree (e.g. when you chain transformation or e.g. in a browser
> like Mozilla where the result tree is being rendered directly without
> any serialization happening).
>
> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

XSLT Select nodes without text-node children whose names starts with specifix text

extracting text from an XML node

text + text

text-text

How to extract the plain text from a rich text ?
Hi everybody ! I can't find how to get a wxstring containing the plain text from a wxstring containing rich text. Does anybody how to do that ? Thanks ! ...

xml wrongly views as text extracted from the xml tags
we have a java framework, where we feed a request xml. this request xml is forwarded through the framework, tomcat and axis, for the backend processing, and the processing results are again received by the internet explorer, after they are transformed with an xslt by the framework. now the problem that we are facing is like - the explorer extracts the text inside all xml tags of the response xml and shows it as simple text. but, if you view the source of the 'text', it will show it all as well-formed xml. moreover, if you save the source as an xml file, and again open it through internet explorer, it will show the xml in proper way. i have tried using firefox, processing with xml spy, but with same results... has somebody experienced similar problem before??? i wonder what can be wrong in this case, and would be thankful for any pointers as to what can be the cause and solution to this. Thanks in advance, Shreyas Hi all, Finally i got what was the problem. it was because the response xml contained a <Title> </Title> tag in it. and dont know why/how, but IE was treating it as an HTML tag. i noticed that the browser window title was indeed "Mr" which is the text enclosed by the Title element. one more weird thing i noticed was that if i moved the <xsl:apply-templates> line for the tag downwords after one more template application, it was showing the xml properly alongwith the <Title> element, and not treating it as an HTML tag...

XML DOM: XML/XHTML inside a text node
In my program, I get input from the user and insert it into an XHTML document. Sometimes, this input will contain XHTML, but since I'm inserting it as a text node, xml.dom.minidom escapes the angle brackets ('<' becomes '&lt;', '>' becomes '&gt;'). I want to be able to override this behavior cleanly. I know I could pipe the input through a SAX parser and create nodes to insert into the tree, but that seems kind of messy. Is there a better way? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Nov 2005 noahlt@gmail.com wrote: > In my program, I get input from the us...

xslt help needed with element nodes embedded in text node

Extract text with style from rich text fields
Hi everybody, Somebody know how can i extract text with its styles (bold, tables, pictures,etc) from a RicText field with LotusScript. I use the method richtextField.AppendText(textOfRitem) but only the text without his presentation is extracted. I put the extracted text in other RichText field (to create a report of all documents present in the base). in the follow line, the method that i use: Forall ch_action In doc.GetItemValue("RTField") Call rtitem.AppendText(ch_action) Call rtitem.AddNewline(2) End Forall Thank you Eric Mazzone, Hi Eric, a si...

Extract Text from a Checkbox and add text between values
Hi all,=20 FM 11Adv for widnows here :) I have a checkbox list such as: Apple, Banana, Orange, Lemon Now, I would like to add another text value to each selected value of the c= heckbox, in real time. So that when the user select "Orange" in the list, t= here will be a Custom dialog box that will let her to insert an adjective (= i.e. "Good", "Bad, "tasty" or whatever she likes). Finally, I would like to report in a second field the combination of checke= d value (from the checkbox) and the free adjective I have let the user add,= to have: "Orange good", "apple Bad", "lemon tasty" etc... I am trying to play with triggers so that the custom dialog box pops up as = far as a value in the checkbox is checked (this works). Unfortunately, the free text is added to the END of the checked values, and= I end up with something like:=20 Orange, Apple, Lemon good (or bad or tasty, actually the new added free tex= t erases the preceding choices instead of adding up)=20 Might you please help ? It would be nice to define a solution that does not= use script triggers as well, if at all possible... Thanks a lot ! Diego Op 2-9-2013 20:18, Diego B schreef: > Hi all, > > FM 11Adv for widnows here :) > > I have a checkbox list such as: > Apple, Banana, Orange, Lemon > > Now, I would like to add another text value to each selected value of the checkbox, in re...

Script to extract portions of text from a text file
I had a need to extract portions of text (delimited by fixed patterns) from a large text file. Here's a shell script that I wrote for this purpose. Kindly suggest a more "elegant" way to do the same: Thanks, Bhat #!/bin/ksh # Script to extract portions of text from a text file # # #set -x if [ "$#" -lt "3" ] then echo "usage $0: <input-file> <begin-pattern> <end-pattern>" exit 1 fi if [ ! -f "$1" ] then echo "File $1 does not exist" exit 2 fi if [ ! -r "$1" ] then echo "Error reading file $1...

Getting kind of abstract text snippets from text nodes
Hi everybody, I am about implementing a little search engine that searches a phrase over xml text nodes. I got that all working fine but what I want as the results is not the complete text of the textnode, I would like to make an abstract like result list (such output that you get with google searches. For eg .... I am the <b>substring</b> from a complete text node ... where "substring" is the search term. The problem is simple (I think): I want to extract all the text parts of the complete text node, where search searchterm is highlighted, surrounded by the text like 30 characters. I found an intersting post "cut down text" which is almost that what I am looking for, but there the text is just trimmed by x characters. Is anybody here, that has an "elegant" way to solve that or some hints that get me to the solution? I am not able to use regex (would be nice though) My parser is Sablotron so I am restricted to the functions that I get. (1.0). Any help is greatly appreciated. regards, Andreas W Wylach Think about dividing the text into three parts: before your target, the target itself, and after the target. Process each appropriately. If you want to report multiple instances within the same block of text, look at the standard examples of recursive text processing. -- () ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Joe Kesselman /\ Stamp out HTML e-mail! | System architexture and kinetic poetry "Andreas W. Wylach" <aw@ioc...

ghostscript PDF page extraction, leaving text as text
Ghostscript may be used to extract pages from a PDF file with a command like this: gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite \ -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER \ -dFirstPage=48 -dLastPage=48 \ -sOutputFile=onepage.pdf input.pdf The problem is, while that page looks the same as the original in a PDF reader, it seems to be an image rather than an "object" representation. That is, open the extracted PDF in something like Acrobat or PDF XChange Viewer and "search" and "text selection" work, whereas in the extracted one neither function works. Presumably this is because the text has been r...

XSLT Delimited Text Node

Pages

text node has text but won't render
This renders in Firefox perfectly well but the text in the red box remains invisible. The program is a subset of a larger and doesn't do much. but even after cutting out all the unneccessary stuf, I still can't get it to work!! Cheers, Greg =================== <xhtml:html xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:svg="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" > <xhtml:head> <xhtml:title> Intermingled XHTML and SVG </xhtml:title> <xhtml:script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript"><![CDATA[ function gogo(evt){ var targetObj = evt.target; //The object that received the event var targetDoc = targetObj.ownerDocument; //Owner document var wg = document.getElementById("SVGroot"); var lg = document.getElementById("labelz"); //label labelBox= targetDoc.createElementNS("http://www.w3.org/2000/svg", "svg:rect"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "id", "label1"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "fill", "red"); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "fill-opacity", 1); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "x", 700); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "y", 400); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "width", 200); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "height", 20); labelBox.setAttributeNS(null, "visibility", "visible"); lg.appendC...

text 2 text

Surrounding text with text
I was wondering if it was possible to surround a text body with text like so: +--------------+ |ABCDEFGHIJKLM | |H N| |A Main Body O| |L Text goes P| |B here Q| |-=+_ZYXWVUTSR | | | | | | | | | +--------------+ This seems far-fetched, but just curious. I suppose that I could just move stuff around by hand in the GIMP later on, but there's probably a {better,more {extensible,clean}} way of doing it from (La)TeX. -FreeSmith ptjm@interlog.com (Patrick TJ McPhee) wrote in message news:<bffbhe$per$1@news.eusc.inter.net>... > Peter Flynn had an example like that, which he either posted here or > posted a link here. It was something to do with a certificate -- try > searching for his name and that word in google. > > It wouldn't be hard to do with metapost. I have a macro called `pathalong' > which puts text along an arbitrary path. Well, it's been a while, but I finally finished it. It's a little job I was doing for an upcoming wedding. At any rate, I used pstricks to make the text go along a path, along with a couple of hacks for sizing (from graphicx) and kerning along the line (from soul). Here's the code (don't laugh): CAUTION:THIS CODE MAY MAKE YOU WRETCH ---SNIP--- \documentclass{article} \usepackage{graphicx} \usepackage{pstricks,pst-text,nopageno} \usepackage[width=8.5in]{geometry} \usepackage{soul} \begin{document} \thispagestyle{empty} \set...

XSLT: concatenating selected text nodes
in XSLT, if I want to concatenate _all_ the child text nodes, I can just do <xsl:value-of select="."> however, if I want to select and concatente only _some_ of the text nodes. for instance <xsl:value-of select=".//foo/text()"> this doesn't work as it just takes the first element in the node set. Is there any way of achieving this without using <xsl:for-each> to explicitly loop round them all? TIA Andy use copy-of not value-of David "David Carlisle" <davidc@nag.co.uk> wrote in message news:yg4r7ktpnzq.fsf@penguin.nag.co.uk... > > use copy-of not value-of > worked a treat - thanks david. > > David ...

XSLT TRANSFORMATION FROM XML TO plain Text

Parsing text with link from xml with XSLT

editor for editing xml text nodes
We have xml documents which contain text imbedded as text content in some xml structures. These documents need to be translated by human translators from English into, for example, Chinese. We would like the translator to use an editor which shows him only the text content of the xml document, or gives him only editing access to the text content. The translator should be unable to touch or modify the xml tags, so that it is guaranteed that the xml-tags are unchanged when the translator returns the translated document. The translator simply replaces all English text accessible to him into Chinese text. Does anyone know an xml editing tool which has this feature, of allowing only modification to the text node content? Alois Zreindl wrote: > We have xml documents which contain text imbedded as text content in > some xml structures. > > These documents need to be translated by human translators from English > into, for example, Chinese. > > We would like the translator to use an editor which shows him only the > text content of the xml document, or gives him only editing access to > the text content. I am working on exactly this right now. It leaves the elements in element content inviolable, but allows element markup in mixed content (the only thing a translator should be touching). Please contact me by email to discuss this further. > The translator should be unable to touch or modify the xml tags, so that > it is guara...

Web resources about - XSLT Extract Text from Nodes - comp.text.xml

Extract, transform, load - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most data warehousing projects consolidate data from different source systems. Each separate system may also use a different data organization/ ...

Video to Photo Grabber - Video frame capture tool that grabs still photo and extracts high quality picture ...
Get Video to Photo Grabber - Video frame capture tool that grabs still photo and extracts high quality picture from movie file on the App Store. ...

Vanilla extract ready to sit - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Spare Time (1939) - extract - YouTube
This classic documentary about the British at leisure arose from director Humphrey Jennings' work as one of the founders of the Mass Observation ...

Pasadena Girl takes out Champagne Stakes as Peter Moody extracts every last drop
... the champion trainer wasn't expecting the filly to be a group 1 winner as a two-year-old. Just like the stubby he is always hoping to extract ...

Slipper withdraws allegation over release of diary extracts
Slipper withdraws allegation over release of diary extracts

These Things Happen book extract by Greg Fleet - HeraldSun Search Search
WARNING: Graphic content and coarse language This is an edited extract of Greg Fleet’s memoir These Things Happen, released by Macmillan Australia ...

Frank Sinatra: Behind the legend book extract - J. Randy Taraborrelli
IN 1938, twenty-two-year-old Frank Sinatra was young, handsome, charming, and, as a result of his bravado, able to have sex with virtually any ...

Harper Lee's Go Set a Watchman: Spectrum secures exclusive Australian print extract
The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age readers will be among the first in the world to read chapter one from Go Set a Watchman.

Canberra extracts healthy $850m in dividends from Medibank
Canberra extracts healthy $850m in dividends from Medibank