Downloadable app?

Hi,

I used to have a little app that ran on Windoze wherein you could change
the Rules, but I can't find it now.  Does anybody know a good one?

Thanks,

Chak

--
You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.
  --Jeannette Rankin

Chakolate <chakolateDeathToSpammers@gmail.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I used to have a little app that ran on Windoze wherein you could
> change the Rules, but I can't find it now.  Does anybody know a good
> one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chak

Sorry, I should have specified that I'm speaking here of Conway's Game
of Life.

Chak

--
You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.
  --Jeannette Rankin
0
Chakolate

MCell is nice: http://www.mirwoj.opus.chelm.pl/ca/

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank
> > I used to have a little app that ran on Windoze wherein you could change
> > the Rules, but I can't find it now.  Does anybody know a good one?
>
> MCell is nice: http://www.mirwoj.opus.chelm.pl/ca/

MCell is still my current CA editor these days, at least for small
projects -- it has a maximum universe height of only 2,500 and the
simulation speed is fairly slow, even for medium-sized patterns.  But
it supports multiple colors and cell states, and has more available
rules (and associated sample patterns) than any other package I know
of.

If you're only interested in rules based on counts of Moore
neighborhoods (e.g., B1357/S1357 is the "Replicator" rule) you might
take a look at "Golly" --

http://sourceforge.net/projects/golly

-- which runs on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux boxes.  It's
frighteningly fast (much faster than Life32, even, because it "cheats"
and skips intermediate generations when you let it) and the editing
functionality is good and still improving -- it's coming up on a 1.0
release shortly.   It includes a few interesting examples of
non-Conway's-Life rules in the Patterns\Other-Rules folder, though
nothing like MCell's collection -- still need to work on that...

Keep the cheer,

Dave Greene

0
Dave
6/4/2006 3:32:11 PM
"Dave Greene" <david.m.greene@gmail.com> wrote in

> If you're only interested in rules based on counts of Moore
> neighborhoods (e.g., B1357/S1357 is the "Replicator" rule) you might
> take a look at "Golly" --
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/golly

Looks good - thanks!

Chak

--
You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.
  --Jeannette Rankin
0
Chakolate
6/4/2006 5:34:52 PM
On 04 Jun 2006 04:53:18 GMT, Chakolate
<chakolateDeathToSpammers@gmail.com> wrote:

>Chakolate <chakolateDeathToSpammers@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I used to have a little app that ran on Windoze wherein you could
>> change the Rules, but I can't find it now.  Does anybody know a good
>> one?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chak
>>

>Sorry, I should have specified that I'm speaking here of Conway's Game
>of Life.
>
>Chak

The free Modern Cellular Automata Java applet lets you change the
rules. It supports rules with more than two states, is fast, and
automatically colors cells according to state and neighboring cells.
Multiple step rules can be specified which makes the number of rules
it supports essentially infinite. The software is available here by
following the "Author" link:
   http://www.collidoscope.com/modernca

A not boring color pattern collection for Game of Life can be viewed
here:
   http://www.collidoscope.com/cgolve

George Maydwell
--
Modern Cellular Automata: http://www.collidoscope.com/modernca
Collidoscope Hexagonal Screensaver: http://www.collidoscope.com

Denis.

"Chakolate" <chakolateDeathToSpammers@gmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi,
>
> I used to have a little app that ran on Windoze wherein you could change
> the Rules, but I can't find it now.  Does anybody know a good one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chak
>
> --
> You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.
>  --Jeannette Rankin

0
Denis