Converting an expression with infix and postfix operators to postfix form

Hi,

   I am working with an expression of the form "ab*"  - which is really
"a.b*" where '.' is the concatenation operator. The '.' operator is an infix
operator and the '*' operator (the regex '*' meaning 0 or more repetitions
of the previous expression) is a postfix type operator. The standard infix
to postfix conversion algorithm doesnt appear to work in this case. Any
ideas on how such expressions can be converted to postfix?

Thanks,
Kenneth

0
y2kmvs (2)
7/6/2003 1:06:00 PM
comp.theory 5139 articles. 1 followers. marty.musatov (1143) is leader. Post Follow

"Kenneth Stephen" <y2kmvs@us.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<Y8VNa.46641$xg5.37005@twister.austin.rr.com>...
> Hi,
>
>    I am working with an expression of the form "ab*"  - which is really
> "a.b*" where '.' is the concatenation operator. The '.' operator is an infix
> operator and the '*' operator (the regex '*' meaning 0 or more repetitions
> of the previous expression) is a postfix type operator. The standard infix
> to postfix conversion algorithm doesnt appear to work in this case. Any
> ideas on how such expressions can be converted to postfix?

hey,
what is the postfix notation in this case [a.b*]?
Is it ab*. ??? or is it anything else?
-pd

> Thanks,
> Kenneth