How to "ufsdump" more than one Solaris 8 fils systems to tape

Hi,

We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.

Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
"ufsrestore" ??

Thanks,

Bill
0
freedive999
7/12/2004 10:06:45 PM
comp.unix.admin 2870 articles. 4 followers. Post Follow

FreeDiver wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
>Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

yes.

>If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
>"ufsrestore" ??

tape devices normally have a couple of device entrys attached. The "one"
you need is the none rewind type.
When using eg.
ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n /somefilesystem
instead of /dev/rmt/0, you prevent the tape device from rewinding when
ufsdump have finished. Now you can continue with the next ufsdump.

Depending on what dump number you are going  to read from the tape
afterward. You can either start from the first dump by using ufsrestore
direct or use "mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf X" to get to the X't number of dump
on the tape.
See "man ufsdump" and "man mt"
See "man st" to figure out the meaning of the different device options,
shown in /dev/rmt/.

>Thanks,
>
>Bill

/Flemming

0
Flemming
7/12/2004 11:38:58 PM
On 12 Jul 2004 15:06:45 -0700, FreeDiver <freedive999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
> Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

You bet.

> If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
> "ufsrestore" ??

It's all about the device name, rather than the syntax of ufsdump.  You
need to speciy a non-rewind tape device, check the man pages for specific
syntax.  If you don't, it'll rewind after every write and you get whatever
your last file system was.

Dave Hinz
0
Dave
7/13/2004 3:08:53 AM
FreeDiver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
> Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?
>
> If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
> "ufsrestore" ??

Bill,

A couple of people have already told you you can do it, but I thought
that a small example might help.

For example purposes, lets say I have a Ultra 450 with a disk that
is partitioned for "/", "/usr", "/var", and "/local". The disk is at
"c0t1d0" and is partitions 0, 6, 3, and 5, respectively.

I am also assuming that the data in these partitions will fit on one
tape. This can be strung across multiple tapes, but that complicates
things.

To create the tape I would use the "mt" command and the "ufsdump"
command. The "mt" command is used to manipulate the tape and force
a rewind. The "ufsdump" commands specify the "no-rewind" device for
the tape unit so that they will dump sequentially.

 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s6
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5

To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
again use the "mt" command. This time to position yourself to the
correct position on the tape. For example, to recover the data from
the "/local" partition, /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5, you might use the following
commands:

 > cd /tmp_local
 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsr 4
 > ufsrestore xf /dev/rmt/0mn

As with everything, read the man page for "mt", "ufsdump", "ufsrestore",
and "installboot".

--
Martin E. Meserve
k7mem@myrealbox.com

0
K7MEM
7/13/2004 2:41:22 PM
In article <40F3F492.2000101@myrealbox.com>, K7MEM <k7mem@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
> again use the "mt" command.

That will work fine, but ufsrestore can skip to a specific tape
file by itself, using the "s" option.

jdoherty
7/13/2004 6:53:36 PM
John Doherty wrote:
> In article <40F3F492.2000101@myrealbox.com>, K7MEM <k7mem@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>

>>To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
>>again use the "mt" command.
>

> That will work fine, but ufsrestore can skip to a specific tape
> file by itself, using the "s" option.
>
> --

But now he knows one more command. If he learns a new command each day
he'll but a big time administrator in no time. :-)

--
Martin E. Meserve
k7mem@myrealbox.com

0
K7MEM
7/13/2004 7:54:19 PM

> To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
> again use the "mt" command. This time to position yourself to the
> correct position on the tape. For example, to recover the data from
> the "/local" partition, /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5, you might use the following
> commands:
>
>  > cd /tmp_local
>  > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
>  > mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsr 4
>  > ufsrestore xf /dev/rmt/0mn
>
> As with everything, read the man page for "mt", "ufsdump", "ufsrestore",
> and "installboot".

By the way, there is no need to use mt to move to the position on
tape, ufsrestore has the s option that will jump to the one you want.
ufsrestore xfs /dev/rmt/0 3
will restore the 3rd image on tape.
Nic.
0
nicflatterie

ufsdump verify option
hello, I've a problem with ufsdump I'm trying to do a dump of a slice to a file The dump seems to work fine but I've an error message when ufsdump try to verify the dump it complain that it cannot access the file of the dump (but the file is in the right place ) this happens only for slice of size greater then 2Gb if the size of the slice is less than 2 Gb also the verification precess works The manpage reports that ufsdump is largefile aware the slice to dump is unmounted as results from lunetta# df -k Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 69...

How to "ufsdump" more than one Solaris 8 fils systems to tape
Hi, We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS. Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ? If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring "ufsrestore" ?? Thanks, Bill FreeDiver wrote: >Hi, > >We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS. > >Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ? > > yes. >If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring >"ufsrestore" ?? > > > tape devices normally have a couple of device entrys attached. The ...

ufsdump with lto
Looking for the correct values for doing command line ufsdump with lto tape (in compressed mode). have tried several values, but still not getting the right tape length. thx in advance. jim coder jccoder <jdbcoder@comcast_remove_this.net> wrote: > Looking for the correct values for doing command line ufsdump with lto tape > (in compressed mode). have tried several values, but still not getting the > right tape length. What are you trying? Generally (as the man page says), you will not specify a tape length, as that cannot be precalculated when compression is involved. ...

ufsdump and more...
My setup is Solaris 9 x86, HP DAT24i 12/24G, utilizing ufsdump. Presently, I'm using ufsdump to backup my data. I'm using 125m/4mm tape and I expect the least amount of data to be on the tape is 12G. However, I can only backup 9.8G on the 125m/4mm tape. Is the 9.8G a normal amount of backup for 125m/4mm tape via ufsdump? or will backup software Amanda holds more data? or backup software is irrelevant in this case? I believed compression is at a hardware level and not software? Is this true? Most of my files are compressed, hence, I don't need compression, but I might from ti...

ufsdump queries
Hi, Appreciate any advice of the following: using ufsdump to backup a file system larger than the tape capacity, a 2nd tape was prompted to be inserted. When the 2nd tape was not inserted in time (as the backup time is long, so no attendant is given), the system prompt came back. Is it normal ? If this is normal, what should be a better way for a work around. Thanks in advance, YC YC wrote: > Hi, > > Appreciate any advice of the following: > > using ufsdump to backup a file system larger than the tape capacity, a 2nd > tape was prompted to be inserted. When the 2...

ufsdump problem on solaris 8
When I try to restore from tape, the computer is booted into single user mode by cd. Then one of the steps is: /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0cfS /dev/rmt/0cn /usr this error message appeared: DUMP:'/usr' is not on a locally mounted filesystem. DUMP:The ENTIRE dump is aborted. How to fix this problem? >> On 9 Aug 2003 19:10:26 -0700, >> ma7777772@hotmail.com (TingChong) said: > When I try to restore from tape, the computer is booted > into single user mode by cd. Then one of the steps is: > /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0cfS /dev/rmt/0cn /usr > this error message appeared: DUMP:...

ufsdump timing out on tape 2
Hiya all, I've tried looking elsewhere, but am just not having much luck. I've got a Solaris 9 system with a non autoloading DLT connected that backs up every night via ufsdump. This was ok until we ran out of capacity on the tape. It does ask for tape 2, but the time out period is so short that our machine room folks cannot get the tape in play before the job aborts. I've tried using the l and then the lT tags to make it wait, but it still behaves in the same way speeding by the option to pop in the second tape and dropping out of the dump. I cannot seem to put a search t...

part 2/2 of: running ufsdump under "script ufsdump.log"
Since, to my horror, I've been having a little trouble matching what ufsrestore finds with what I *thought* ufsdump was writing to the tape, some *crude* verification would reassure me: Maybe after ufsdumping a partition, my .sh-file could have it back up one tape-position, via: mt bsf 2 /dev/rmt/0cn ; mt status /dev/rmt/0cn [quick on-the-fly question: about that "2": is that very-long-standing requirement to *tell* "mt bsf" to back up one *more* position than you really want -- is that a bug, or a ...

ufsdump very slow
Hi, I have noticed for some time(after changing tape device) that the new tape (Ultrium 400GB compressed) is very little loaded(13%) during ufsdump and that the disk that is beeing dumped is fully loaded(92%) but with a very low transfer rate(4048), why is that so see below from iostat during a level 0 dump. The machine is a E250 and all disks in the machine are brand new Maxtor 10k 147GB disks exept for the root disk which is a original 26GB Seagate 10k drive. extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0...

ufsdump in batch mode
Hello, I want answer automatique "NO" at ufsdump messages "Do you want to restart?: ("yes" or "no"). How do it ? (ufsdump have not option for this) My batch ufsdump run at 22:00 and nobody is present to respond. In article <bm5unf$h7m$1@pegase.atos-infogerance.fr>, Yves Boterff <yves.boterff@atosorigin.com> wrote: > I want answer automatique "NO" at ufsdump messages "Do you want to restart?: > ("yes" or "no"). > > How do it ? (ufsdump have not option for this) This is done automagically if uf...

ufsdump several to the same tape
Hi all, My Sun box has serveral filesystem /, /usr and /var. How can I use ufsdump to backup all filesystem into the same tape? Thanks > My Sun box has serveral filesystem /, /usr and /var. > How can I use ufsdump to backup all filesystem into the same tape? > Thanks Use the non-rewinding tape device, for instance # ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n / # ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n /usr # ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n /var Use /dev/rmt/0cn if you want compression turned on for a tape drive. Uwe "BL" <c50342182003@yahoo.com.hk> writes: >My Sun box has serveral filesystem /, /usr ...

part 1/2 of: running ufsdump under "script ufsdump.log"
The idea being to use Sun's (unix's?) "script"-cmd to keep a record of what rolls-off the top of the (single-user-mode) screen when doing a multi-hour set of level-0 ufsdumps, one per partition on the machine. Now, I suppose doing this wouldn't be safe to have the script-log living (and growing) on a partitfion that is *not* the one *currently* being ufsdumped. (Otherwise that partition's ufsdump would be, uh, worthless? True?) So, I'd have to make sure to have at least *two* partitions mounted, root and, say, "partition-b" -- which I'd arrange ...

Remote SSH ufsdump
Greeting, I am able to remotedump to a tape under linux via env RSH=/usr/bin/ssh dump 0uf host:/dev/nst0 /, fine. however under Solaris things are different, using the Korne shell:env RSH=/usr/bin/ssh /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf host:/dev/nst0 /, i get connection refused, although sshd is running; can anyone help? Here is the output from ssh -v: SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0. debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0 debug1: Connecting to bbox [192.168.1.3] port 22. debug1: Allocated local port 1023. debug1: Connecti...

ufsdump (update)
I'm still getting 9.929G on a 125m/4mm tape. Anyone getting anything close to 12G on an HP DAT24i 125m/4mm using ufsdump? I've tried: /dev/rmt/0 /dev/rmt/0cn /dev/rmt/0cbn, I've tried dumping zip/compress file with no hardware compression. Perhaps around 10G is normal for 125m/4mm tape? (capable of 12G) -- slrn is a command line newsreader. please reply, to the newsgroup(s). slrn wrote: > I'm still getting 9.929G on a 125m/4mm tape. Anyone getting > anything close to 12G on an HP DAT24i 125m/4mm using ufsdump? > > I've tried: /dev/rmt/0 /dev/rmt/0cn ...

ufsdump error 179789
When a make ufsdump /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0uf Server1:/dev/rmt/On /export/home I have this message DUMP: Dumping (Pass IV) [regular files] DUMP: Warning - block 1543503872 is beyond the end of `/dev/md/rdsk/d3' DUMP: Warning - block 1549533184 is beyond the end of `/dev/md/rdsk/d3' DUMP: Warning - block 2796199086 is beyond the end of `/dev/md/rdsk/d3' DUMP: Warning - block 3370698982 is beyond the end of `/dev/md/rdsk/d3' DUMP: Warning - block 3892314112 is beyond the end of `/dev/md/rdsk/d3' DUMP: Warning - block 1556664992 is beyond the end of `/dev/md/rdsk/d3' DUM...

UFSDUMP question.
Hi all, When I perform a full backup of all files in the root (/) file system to tape device (/dev/rmt/0), I use this command: # ufsdump 0 /dev/rmt/0 / However, my friend tells me that I don't need to use "0" because default backup level of Ufsdump is level 0. So I can use: # ufsdump /dev/rmt/0 / Is he rite? Thanks. SauDoi wrote: > When I perform a full backup of all files in the root (/) file system > to tape device (/dev/rmt/0), I use this command: > > # ufsdump 0 /dev/rmt/0 / > > However, my friend tells me that I don't need to use "0"...

ufsdump problem
Sun Ultra 10, Solaris 9, Sun 4 mm DAT (DDS2) tape drive.(599-2040). I'm getting what I consider a very strange response to an attempt to back up my disk. The command I'm using is: /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0c /dev/rmt/0 /dev/rdsk/c0d0t0s0 I'm trying to back up one slice at a time because I need to repartition the disk. The result is: DUMP: Warning - block 16 is beyond the end of '/dev/rmt/0' DUMP: Warning - super-block on device '/dev/rmt/0' is corrupt - run fsck DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted. Has Solaris lost its mind? Have I? What to do next? I can't r...

ufsdump issue
I had problem doing ufsdump to a 8mm tape with about 8 Gig capacity, the script does two ufsdump on two mount point one on "/" and the other is "/Server2". Why does it show that there are 8 ufsdump running for /Server2? why two of the ufsdump indicates has started at about 12:45 and the are two and the other 6 has started at 15:14. The other thing I don't undrestand is why shows that only doing Server2 I ran the job at 8 :30 AM and still was running at 5:00 PM after changing to third tape. Thanks for the help echo `date` > $XRPTDIR$XRPTNAME rsh -n echo &q...

ufsdump confusing my
ufsdump confusing my ! please ........ Yesterday i have proved to work with ufsdump on my solaris 9, to dump a slice of my disk and that has gone very well ! :-) command was: ufsdump -0uf /dev/rmt/0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 after this i have forrwarded my tape � "without forrwarding its the same problem" mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsf 1 and i start now the second Backup, if i start this job now ufsdump overwrites my first save on my tape, and i dont want this !!!!!� please what do i make wrong ??!!! for any reply i thanks you where much best regards Maurizio mauric@gmx.ch &quo...

ufsdump confusing my !
ufsdump confusing my ! please ........ Yesterday i have proved to work with ufsdump on my solaris 9, to dump a slice of my disk and that has gone very well ! :-) command was: ufsdump -0uf /dev/rmt/0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 after this i have forrwarded my tape � "without forrwarding its the same problem" mt -f /dev/rmt/0 fsf 1 and i start now the second Backup, if i start this job now ufsdump overwrites my first save on my tape, and i dont want this !!!!!� please what do i make wrong ??!!! for any reply i thanks you where much best regards Maurizio o5twm01 wrote: >...

ufsdump and rewind
I want to dump several filesystems to a tape with ufsdump as follows but get a message between each ufsdump that tape is rewinding. How do I stop tape rewinding between each dump? ufsdump 0cuf /dev/rmt/0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 ufsdump 0cuf /dev/rmt/0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 ufsdump 0cuf /dev/rmt/0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s4 ufsdump 0cuf /dev/rmt/0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5 ufsdump 0cuf /dev/rmt/0 /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s6 JL johnleslie@madasafish.com (John Leslie) writes: > I want to dump several filesystems to a tape with ufsdump as follows > but get a message between each ufsdump that tape is rewinding. > > H...

ufsdump and inodes
I had always understood that the essentail difference between ufsdump and other archiving tools, such as tar, was that it dumped inodes rather than dumping files. And so I had assumed that if you 'mv'ed a file, all you were actually doing was to change the directory (which is itself stored in an inode) and that the inode containing the actual file data, together with its update and last-used times and its ownership and access information, would remain unchanged. In which case I would expect the next incremantal dump to dump the inode for the revised directory, but not that for the fi...

ufsdump output from oracle

ufsdump 58523
Ok ia m sure that this has been answered many times and probably is redundant. I am new to the unix world but as with most cases I have been put in a situation that i need to get somethng done quick. We are currently using networker to back up all file systems on our production servers using an attached tape drive. I had this brilliant idea to use our tape library that resides in our windows world to do back ups of the unix boxes. All was seeming to be fine until i was asked about the file systems themselves. I can grab data without an issue. Would the best solution be : Start the server in si...

UFSDUMP 332571
What is the comand to do a UFS dump on a Solaris box (sol 8 02/02) in compress mode? What other methods are there to compress via tar, zip or gzip (software compress) in addition to ufsdump? Thanks "Pedro Cortez" <nomada7@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:db72fc7c.0405051348.1befd320@posting.google.com... > What is the comand to do a UFS dump on a Solaris box (sol 8 02/02) in > compress mode? man ufsdump --I believed the compression is at hardware level. > What other methods are there to compress via tar, zip or gzip > (software compress) in addition to ufsdu...