How to "ufsdump" more than one Solaris 8 fils systems to tape

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Hi,

We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.

Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
"ufsrestore" ??

Thanks,

Bill
0
Reply freedive999 7/12/2004 10:06:45 PM

See related articles to this posting

FreeDiver wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
>Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

yes.

>If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
>"ufsrestore" ??

tape devices normally have a couple of device entrys attached. The "one"
you need is the none rewind type.
When using eg.
ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n /somefilesystem
instead of /dev/rmt/0, you prevent the tape device from rewinding when
ufsdump have finished. Now you can continue with the next ufsdump.

Depending on what dump number you are going  to read from the tape
afterward. You can either start from the first dump by using ufsrestore
direct or use "mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf X" to get to the X't number of dump
on the tape.
See "man ufsdump" and "man mt"
See "man st" to figure out the meaning of the different device options,
shown in /dev/rmt/.

>Thanks,
>
>Bill

/Flemming

0
Reply Flemming 7/12/2004 11:38:58 PM

On 12 Jul 2004 15:06:45 -0700, FreeDiver <freedive999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
> Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

You bet.

> If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
> "ufsrestore" ??

It's all about the device name, rather than the syntax of ufsdump.  You
need to speciy a non-rewind tape device, check the man pages for specific
syntax.  If you don't, it'll rewind after every write and you get whatever
your last file system was.

Dave Hinz
0
Reply Dave 7/13/2004 3:08:53 AM

FreeDiver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
> Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?
>
> If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
> "ufsrestore" ??

Bill,

A couple of people have already told you you can do it, but I thought
that a small example might help.

For example purposes, lets say I have a Ultra 450 with a disk that
is partitioned for "/", "/usr", "/var", and "/local". The disk is at
"c0t1d0" and is partitions 0, 6, 3, and 5, respectively.

I am also assuming that the data in these partitions will fit on one
tape. This can be strung across multiple tapes, but that complicates
things.

To create the tape I would use the "mt" command and the "ufsdump"
command. The "mt" command is used to manipulate the tape and force
a rewind. The "ufsdump" commands specify the "no-rewind" device for
the tape unit so that they will dump sequentially.

 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s6
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5

To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
again use the "mt" command. This time to position yourself to the
correct position on the tape. For example, to recover the data from
the "/local" partition, /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5, you might use the following
commands:

 > cd /tmp_local
 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsr 4
 > ufsrestore xf /dev/rmt/0mn

As with everything, read the man page for "mt", "ufsdump", "ufsrestore",
and "installboot".

--
Martin E. Meserve
k7mem@myrealbox.com

0
Reply K7MEM 7/13/2004 2:41:22 PM

In article <40F3F492.2000101@myrealbox.com>, K7MEM <k7mem@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
> again use the "mt" command.

That will work fine, but ufsrestore can skip to a specific tape
file by itself, using the "s" option.

Reply jdoherty 7/13/2004 6:53:36 PM

John Doherty wrote:
> In article <40F3F492.2000101@myrealbox.com>, K7MEM <k7mem@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>

>>To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
>>again use the "mt" command.
>

> That will work fine, but ufsrestore can skip to a specific tape
> file by itself, using the "s" option.
>
> --

But now he knows one more command. If he learns a new command each day
he'll but a big time administrator in no time. :-)

--
Martin E. Meserve
k7mem@myrealbox.com

0
Reply K7MEM 7/13/2004 7:54:19 PM

> To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
> again use the "mt" command. This time to position yourself to the
> correct position on the tape. For example, to recover the data from
> the "/local" partition, /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5, you might use the following
> commands:
>
>  > cd /tmp_local
>  > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
>  > mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsr 4
>  > ufsrestore xf /dev/rmt/0mn
>
> As with everything, read the man page for "mt", "ufsdump", "ufsrestore",
> and "installboot".

By the way, there is no need to use mt to move to the position on
tape, ufsrestore has the s option that will jump to the one you want.
ufsrestore xfs /dev/rmt/0 3
will restore the 3rd image on tape.
Nic.
0
Reply nicflatterie 7/22/2004 5:08:59 PM
comp.unix.admin 2808 articles. 4 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

How to "ufsdump" more than one Solaris 8 fils systems to tape
Hi, We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS. Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ? If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring "ufsrestore" ?? Thanks, Bill FreeDiver wrote: >Hi, > >We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS. > >Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ? > > yes. >If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring >"ufsrestore" ?? > > > tape devices normally have a couple of device entrys attached. The ...

Solaris 8 ufsdump limitations?
Hi, Are there any limits on solaris 8 ufsdump? I have a DLT VS160 tape drive connected to a Blade 1000 machine running solaris 8. The tape I'm using is a VS1 and it is supposed to deliver 80GB uncompressed capacity with a DLT VS160. The data I'm trying to backup is less than 40GB and while at 80%, dump sees end of tape! I have tried device names /dev/rmt/0cn, /dev/rmt/0hn but they yield the same results. Here is a snippet from the log file: DUMP: Estimated 65067820 blocks (31771.40MB). DUMP: 80.75% done, finished in 0:14 DUMP: End-of-tape detected DUMP: 84.30% done, finishe...

ufsdump problem on solaris 8
When I try to restore from tape, the computer is booted into single user mode by cd. Then one of the steps is: /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0cfS /dev/rmt/0cn /usr this error message appeared: DUMP:'/usr' is not on a locally mounted filesystem. DUMP:The ENTIRE dump is aborted. How to fix this problem? >> On 9 Aug 2003 19:10:26 -0700, >> ma7777772@hotmail.com (TingChong) said: > When I try to restore from tape, the computer is booted > into single user mode by cd. Then one of the steps is: > /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0cfS /dev/rmt/0cn /usr > this error message appeared: DUMP:...

ufsdump & ufsrestore on solaris 8
I use ufsdump to store data to several tapes on solaris 8. Later I use ufsrestore to get back the data. The message "Mount volume 2 then enter volume name (default: /dev/rmt/0cn):" appears. I press the <Enter> key. The message "Mount volume 3 then enter volume name (default: /dev/rmt/0cn):" appears. How to fix this problem? In article <451a2a55.0308071352.6dc634a6@posting.google.com>, ma7777772@hotmail.com (TingChong) wrote: > I use ufsdump to store data to several tapes on solaris 8. > Later I use ufsrestore to get back the data. > The message >...

ufsdump/ufsrestore bizarreness, Solaris 8
A backup tape contains 3 dumps. The tape is on a remote linux system. Each dump is made this way for a different UFS file system: rsh tape_machine "/usr/bin/nice -15 /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0bcuaLf 126 /var/log/ufsdumps/${THUMANNAME}${LEVEL}.archive ${THUMANNAME}${LEVEL}part - $TPARTITION " \ </dev/null 2>>$BLOG \ | mbin -bs 64512 -s 100000 -f1 $MBFILE1 -f2 $MBFILE2 2>>$BLOG \ | mbout -ve >/dev/nst1 2>>$BLOG Where the symbols are filled in appropriately for each file system. /dev/nst1 is the normal "compressing" tape device...

Solaris 8 ufsdump Level 0 backup
I have a 450 server that uses a DLT IV tape unit to backup files using ufsdump (Level 0 for weekly). The system is running Oracle. The odd thing is: about 3 weeks ago, a full system backup (Oracle shutdown, of course) runs for 3 1/2 hours max. Now it is 6 hours without the database size changing! The only thing that changed was the addition of a file system to backup - /opt (around 200 mega bytes). Currently, there are 12 filesystems to backup versus the original 11 filesystems. Oddly, the throughput has gone down by 2/3 (6000+ kbytes/sec originally to 2000+ kbytes/sec) for the Oracle f...

ufsdump from RedHat 9 to Solaris 9 tape server
Hi, I'm trying to backup my RH 9 box to my solaris tape server using ufsdump. The dump seems to start then asks for a new tape, I pop in a new tape and immediately get prompted for another. I'm using dump 0fcu root@tape-server:/dev/rmt/0cn / Is there something special one needs to use for RH 9? DonziGuy wrote: > Hi, > > I'm trying to backup my RH 9 box to my solaris tape server using ufsdump. > The dump seems to start then asks for a new tape, I pop in a new tape and > immediately get prompted for another. > > I'm using dump 0fcu root@tape-ser...

ufsdump via ssh of remote file system to local tape
Can anyone tell me how to use ufsdump and ssh to dump a remote file system to a local tape drive? I seem to see plenty of examples on the web of dumping a local file system to a remote tape drive, but I *must* do it the other way around, due to firewall issues. I'm not sure of the right order of dd/ssh/ufsdump to do it. ...

ufsdump via ssh of remote file system to local tape #2
I tried on comp.sys.sun.admin for this one, but the group seems to be dead today. So I'll try here .... Can anyone tell me how to use ufsdump and ssh to dump a remote file system to a local tape drive? I seem to see plenty of examples on the web of dumping a local file system to a remote tape drive, but I *must* do it the other way around, due to firewall issues. I'm not sure of the right order of dd/ssh/ufsdump to do it. In article <432dcb65@212.67.96.135>, Dave <nospam@nowhere.com> writes: >I tried on comp.sys.sun.admin for this one, but the group seems to be d...

solaris-10, zfs: how to make backup tapes? does zfs change anything from "old" ufsdump way?
Subject: solaris-10, zfs: how to make backup tapes? does zfs change anything from "old" ufsdump way? Silly question, maybe. But I'm *TOTALLY* new to this zfs stuff. zfs is wonderful, what with disk-crashes no problem (assuming you have enough disks), automatic mirrors, snapshots (don't understand them too well), and so on. But, you still have to make (tape) backups. Now, for more years than I can count I've been using ufsdump and ufsrestore (sunos dump and restore?), and partitions, etc. Doesn't this zfs change everything, what with these pools and all? Thank...

Me again: ufsdump from solaris-9: how to "restore" into solaris-TEN?
Subject: Me again: ufsdump from solaris-9: how to "restore" into solaris-TEN? I have a sinking feeling that I'm not going to like the answers-back I get on this one. :-( OK -- I know that with zfs one no longer uses ufsdump -- you use tar. So what do you do if the final thing you did before your no-sun-service sunblade-100 died was to make a level-0 ufsdump -- and what you have NOW (on sunblade 2500-red) is solaris-TEN? Surely with all the many super features of solaris-10, there's got to be SOME way to do it. Actually -- as I recall, there's maybe no problem at a...

ufsdump several to the same tape
Hi all, My Sun box has serveral filesystem /, /usr and /var. How can I use ufsdump to backup all filesystem into the same tape? Thanks > My Sun box has serveral filesystem /, /usr and /var. > How can I use ufsdump to backup all filesystem into the same tape? > Thanks Use the non-rewinding tape device, for instance # ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n / # ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n /usr # ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n /var Use /dev/rmt/0cn if you want compression turned on for a tape drive. Uwe "BL" <c50342182003@yahoo.com.hk> writes: >My Sun box has serveral filesystem /, /usr ...

ufsdump append to tape
hi i try to dump some log files to an ExAbyte 8900 tape drive using ufsdump. ufsdump f /dev/rmt/0n logfile1 ufsdump f /dev/rmt/0n logfile2 when i rewound the tape using "mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" and "ufsrestore tvf /dev/rmt/0", it only display logfile1. logfile2 is not appending Did i do something wrong in appending to tape?? thanks for any advice... mike <s99999999s2003@yahoo.com> wrote: > hi > i try to dump some log files to an ExAbyte 8900 tape drive using ufsdump. > ufsdump f /dev/rmt/0n logfile1 > ufsdump f /dev/rmt/0n logfile2 > when i rewound...

Ufsdump and Many Systems:
Hi, Can we have ufsdump of multiple systems on the same tape-drive, even though all the systems have similar filesystems. OR if multiple systems have file-system architecture like below , /usr/filesystem1 /usr/filesystem2 /usr/filesystem3 /usr/filesystem4 /usr/filesystem5 how can we accommodate all the 10 system's backups on the single LTO-3 Tape . I tried like below: ufsdump 0ucf - /usr/filesystem[1-5] | tar cvf filename - but this again requires some temporary space,, but I want to make on the on the fly, without using the temporary space, and also maintaining the indivi...

ufsdump/ufsrestore file system
The root disk has some bad sectors. I am wondering if using ufsdump/ufsrestore to dump the file systems on root disk to another disk, will the data on the bad sector be lose? (As when dumping the file system, there are messages saying "cannot read block XXXXXX" ). Any better way to perform in this situation? Thanks for advice! > I am wondering if using ufsdump/ufsrestore to dump the file systems on > root disk to another disk, will the data on the bad sector be lose? Well, if you have bad sectors then it'll all boil down to sheer luck. If you're lucky the system w...

ufsdump on remote tape drive.
Hi, I have three sun boxes A,B & C. Box A: solaris 2.6 Box B: solaris 9 Box C: solaris 9 The boxes A & B both have tape drives. Box A has an internal tape drive Box B has an external tape drive. I want to take a ufsdump of Box C on to the tape. As i am going to be in single user mode on Box C, How do i go about taking the dump on one of the above mentioned machines A or B. Is it possible ? If yes how ? Any ideas/ suggestions ? TIA amit In article <1131527759.709960.237910@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "amit kaushal" <amitka@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, &...

ufsdump timing out on tape 2
Hiya all, I've tried looking elsewhere, but am just not having much luck. I've got a Solaris 9 system with a non autoloading DLT connected that backs up every night via ufsdump. This was ok until we ran out of capacity on the tape. It does ask for tape 2, but the time out period is so short that our machine room folks cannot get the tape in play before the job aborts. I've tried using the l and then the lT tags to make it wait, but it still behaves in the same way speeding by the option to pop in the second tape and dropping out of the dump. I cannot seem to put a search t...

ufsdump and ufsrestore to another system
I have a /mnt directory nfs mounted to a system from another system. I am trying to copy over a file system in this way: ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s5 | (cd /mnt; ufsrestore xvf -) It starts copying the directories and all but they are all owned by nobody. Is there a way to do this and maintain the ownership? The users are all created on the other system. I have rw=root for the directory in dfstab. How can this be done? Robin a =E9crit : > I have a /mnt directory nfs mounted to a system from another system. I > am trying to copy over a file system in this way: > > u...

ufsdump/ufsrestore without tape
Hi there, I am dumping one of my disk slice from a solaris 7 box to a remote NFS server. mount nfsserver:/export/backup /mnt ufsdump 0f /mnt/mydumpfile /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 All looks fine and the dump completes successfully. Now, I try to restore it to a 3rd machine. mount nfsserver:/export/backup /mnt cd /newdisk ufsrestore xf /mnt/mydumpfile It says: Warning: ./lost+found: File exists You have not read any volumes yet. Unless you know which volume your file(s) are on you should start with the last volume and work towards the first. Specify next volume #: Since this is not really a tape...

ufsdump & tape capacity
Hi all, I've a SUN Enterprise 420R (Solaris 8) and a SUN 12-24 GByte 4mm DDS-3 Tape Drive. I tried to backup a DiskSuite Submirror (about 10 GB) with ufsdump to a tape (Tape: HP dds-3 data catridge, 24 GB compressed), but I get the follwing ouput: DUMP: Writing 32 Kilobyte records DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Oct 20 20:23:04 2004 DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch DUMP: Dumping /dev/md/rdsk/d2 to /dev/rmt/0. DUMP: Mapping (Pass I) [regular files] DUMP: Mapping (Pass II) [directories] DUMP: Estimated 21053968 blocks (10280.26MB). DUMP: Dumping (Pa...

ufsdump on a remote tape drive
Hi Folks, I have tried to backup data from a machA( Local machine ) to machB ( Remote machine) Everything seems okay in the log files. When I try to look on machineB with the `mt status` it seems as if the backup was not done. Very strange. Could someone point me out in the right direction. Thanks See detail information ************ machine A (Local machine ) ************************ ssh machB /usr/sbin/ufsdump 0fcu - /dev/md/rdsk/d11 | dd obs=63k of=/dev/rmt/0n DUMP: Writing 63 Kilobyte records DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Sep 24 15:31:11 2003 DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump...

ufsdump -> file -> tape
I wanted to dump a file system to tape, but the file system was on one machine and the tape drive on another. The network was too slow to do it in real time via ssh, so I 1) Dumped the file system to a file $ ufsdump 0f /path/to/somefile.dump /c0t0s023 2) copied file to machine with the tape drive. 3) Tried (unsucessfully to write the file to tape), with something like: tapehost $ dd if=somefile.dump of=/dev/rmt/2 bs=10000 but the tape could not be read with ufsrestore. Is my way flawed? (I think it is, since it did not work). Any ideas how to correct it? I know I could put the fil...

view tape content written by ufsdump?
Hi, I might have confused a few tapes so I want to list their content or date information of files generated on the tapes This is the command that dump files to the tape daily: ufsdump ${LEVEL}lufc $DEVICE /partitionname I used tar tvf and cpio -civt and they both failed! I suppose it's because the tape is written by ufsdump and can only be read by ufsrestore. Is there anyway to view what is actually on the tape? Date of the content being written is enough, any ideas appreciates. Below is the failed attemps: # tar tvf /dev/rmt/1n tar: tape read error /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rmt/1n stat...

ufsdump/fssnap
When dumping a filesystem to tape using ufsdump, "ufsrestore iv" will later show a dump header like: Level 0 dump of /var on host:/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3 When using fssnap before the dump, and using the fssnap device with ufsdump, the dump header shown by ufsrestore looks like this: Level 0 dump of an unlisted file system on host:/dev/rfssnap/0 Using the 'N' option for ufsdump only seems to apply to /etc/dumpdates, and not to the header written to tape. Is that a bug ? Maybe ufsdump is looking up the device path in /etc/vfstab (and won't find fssnap devices there, of co...

Solaris 9
Hello everyone I had recently installed Solaris 9 on a E3500 and since then, I started having performance problems with ufsdump. It's taking forever to backup a 100gb filesystem with rates of 1mb/s showing in iostat -nxz. We have a SAN set up as partner group. What's strange is that with star, dd or tar I get 5mb througput to the tape drive, so it's only happening with ufsdump. If anyone has experienced the same problem, please let me know (if you fixed it, it would be great some help). Thanks Lior ...