How to "ufsdump" more than one Solaris 8 fils systems to tape

Hi,

We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.

Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
"ufsrestore" ??

Thanks,

Bill
0
freedive999
7/12/2004 10:06:45 PM
comp.unix.admin 2890 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

FreeDiver wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
>Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

yes.

>If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
>"ufsrestore" ??

tape devices normally have a couple of device entrys attached. The "one"
you need is the none rewind type.
When using eg.
ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0n /somefilesystem
instead of /dev/rmt/0, you prevent the tape device from rewinding when
ufsdump have finished. Now you can continue with the next ufsdump.

Depending on what dump number you are going  to read from the tape
afterward. You can either start from the first dump by using ufsrestore
direct or use "mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf X" to get to the X't number of dump
on the tape.
See "man ufsdump" and "man mt"
See "man st" to figure out the meaning of the different device options,
shown in /dev/rmt/.

>Thanks,
>
>Bill

/Flemming

0
Flemming
7/12/2004 11:38:58 PM
On 12 Jul 2004 15:06:45 -0700, FreeDiver <freedive999@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
> Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?

You bet.

> If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
> "ufsrestore" ??

It's all about the device name, rather than the syntax of ufsdump.  You
need to speciy a non-rewind tape device, check the man pages for specific
syntax.  If you don't, it'll rewind after every write and you get whatever
your last file system was.

Dave Hinz
0
Dave
7/13/2004 3:08:53 AM
FreeDiver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running Sun Solaris 8 OS.
>
> Can "ufsdump" used to backup muliple file systems in one tape ?
>
> If yes, what commands do I use during "ufsdump" and also restoring
> "ufsrestore" ??

Bill,

A couple of people have already told you you can do it, but I thought
that a small example might help.

For example purposes, lets say I have a Ultra 450 with a disk that
is partitioned for "/", "/usr", "/var", and "/local". The disk is at
"c0t1d0" and is partitions 0, 6, 3, and 5, respectively.

I am also assuming that the data in these partitions will fit on one
tape. This can be strung across multiple tapes, but that complicates
things.

To create the tape I would use the "mt" command and the "ufsdump"
command. The "mt" command is used to manipulate the tape and force
a rewind. The "ufsdump" commands specify the "no-rewind" device for
the tape unit so that they will dump sequentially.

 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s6
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s3
 > ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0mn /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5

To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
again use the "mt" command. This time to position yourself to the
correct position on the tape. For example, to recover the data from
the "/local" partition, /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5, you might use the following
commands:

 > cd /tmp_local
 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
 > mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsr 4
 > ufsrestore xf /dev/rmt/0mn

As with everything, read the man page for "mt", "ufsdump", "ufsrestore",
and "installboot".

--
Martin E. Meserve
k7mem@myrealbox.com

0
K7MEM
7/13/2004 2:41:22 PM
In article <40F3F492.2000101@myrealbox.com>, K7MEM <k7mem@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
> again use the "mt" command.

That will work fine, but ufsrestore can skip to a specific tape
file by itself, using the "s" option.

jdoherty
7/13/2004 6:53:36 PM
John Doherty wrote:
> In article <40F3F492.2000101@myrealbox.com>, K7MEM <k7mem@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>

>>To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
>>again use the "mt" command.
>

> That will work fine, but ufsrestore can skip to a specific tape
> file by itself, using the "s" option.
>
> --

But now he knows one more command. If he learns a new command each day
he'll but a big time administrator in no time. :-)

--
Martin E. Meserve
k7mem@myrealbox.com

0
K7MEM
7/13/2004 7:54:19 PM

> To then recover these dumps with the "ufsrestore" command you would
> again use the "mt" command. This time to position yourself to the
> correct position on the tape. For example, to recover the data from
> the "/local" partition, /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s5, you might use the following
> commands:
>
>  > cd /tmp_local
>  > mt -f /dev/rmt/0m rewind
>  > mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn fsr 4
>  > ufsrestore xf /dev/rmt/0mn
>
> As with everything, read the man page for "mt", "ufsdump", "ufsrestore",
> and "installboot".

By the way, there is no need to use mt to move to the position on
tape, ufsrestore has the s option that will jump to the one you want.
ufsrestore xfs /dev/rmt/0 3
will restore the 3rd image on tape.
Nic.
0